What Healthy Tattoo Would You Get? (Special Deal Unlocked If You Comment) : Renegade Health Fun

Tuesday Apr 17 | BY |

The other day, I came across this image online while I was researching…

funny tattoos dont make me juice you bro

I have no idea what I searched for, but ultimately it doesn’t matter.

What matters is what you see here. Someone clearly loves orange juice — or at least just enough to tattoo a massive citrus juicer on their arm!

I give them a lot of credit — their commitment to health is rock-solid from what I can tell.

Who knows, this may even be a picture of a Renegade Health Subscriber. (If it is, send us over a pic and identify yourself and we’ll give you a special gift!)

Anyway, what I wanted to do is have some fun with this image.

Basically, what I’d like to know is this…

“If you had to get a tattoo that had an image of health, what would it be?”

All you have to do is answer this question in the comment box below. Tell us what you’d get and where. Have fun or be serious, it’s up to you!

Here’s where it gets good…

If we get 250 comments (this is 50 more than last time!) from you by Wednesday night, then we’ll unlock a special two day sale that is 20% off on Friday and 15% off on Saturday — this will be for everything in our store.

If you know me personally, you know that I love having fun, so this is a fun way for us all to get involved and get a great deal on some awesome products.

Here are three different ideas that I’d consider…

Funny: I’d get Dr. Gabriel Cousens in lotus pose on my ankle.
Serious: I’d get black sleeves on both my arms like Daniel Vitalis.
Funny: I’d tattoo my neck so it looks like a Vitamix container that has my head sticking out of it.

Go ahead, fire away!

Your Question of the Day: If you had to get a tattoo that had an image of health, what would it be?

Image Credit: http://ugliesttattoos.failblog.org/2012/04/13/funny-tattoos-dont-make-me-juice-you-bro/

1. Considering that I already have a bunch of tattoos and still plan on getting more, if I were to get one expressing my love of health and nutrition, I’d probably draw out a design of a cartoon leopard wearing sunglasses holding a blender, then scattered fruits and veggies around him. My reasons? A.) I love cats, especially wild cats and B.) I make a vegetable/fruit smoothie everyday (or whenever it is physically possible) and find it is a very important part of my diet and helps me feel my best.

2. Curt Cummins says:

I’d get a Reishi Mushroom on my back (because….. its GOT MY BACK!).. Chaga Mushroom on my shoulder, and some Cordyceps sprouting out of my ankle 🙂 Thanks for a fun post Kev!! Curt

3. Dawn says:

I saw a beautiful “health” tattoo once, the chef at a raw food restaurant in Port Credit, Ontario, has a sleeve of a cornucopia of vegetables, cobs of corn, squash, etc.
    It is so well done, I was just blown away.

I have a lot of tattoos myself, but I usually stick to birds and butterflies.

4. Dodie says:

My tattoo would be a big pineapple, partially cut into with my face peeking out of the inside with a mischievous grin! Or perhaps an avocado cut in half and the seed is an eyeball!

5. Sayward says:

I already have one! A small apple behind my ear, which represents my commitment to healthy eating, my plant-based life, and my love of the Pacific Northwest (apple country!) =)

6. Eileen says:

I would tattoo my back with vegetables and also show the roots leading out of them. The roots and vines would then turn into flowers. (If anyone decides to actually do this, please email me a photo so I can see what the heck it looks like!!)

7. Talya McCain says:

I’d get a tattoo of a bushel baket of heirloom tomatoes surrounded by every beautiful berry- blue , strawberries , raspberries and blackberries.

8. Bryan says:

An that has stuck with me for over 20 years comes from a movie called “Erindira”

An orange cut in half with a very large cut diamond flashing brilliantly from the center of the orange.

Health is more precious than jewels, so treat it that way.

9. Are you kidding me? Like there is a chance that a tattoo is healthy? Filling your skin with pigments so that your immune system can have a fight with it? What’s healthy about that? You may as well make it a bar code for your medical plan.

10. Linda says:

Wheatgrass in tribute to Dr. Ann Wigmore’s contribution to the natural health community.

11. I’d get a pineapple with 2 giant aloe leaves. This combination makes a great smoothie shot that’s great for digestion!

12. Harold says:

I’d have a Little guy tattoed on my arm sitting on a stump eating a tomato and spitting the seeds at a running hamburger.

13. Yvonne says:

A banana with a cute face, maybe on my inner arm.

14. Cat says:

I AM getting carrots tattoo’d on my left upper arm. I’m a carrot freak! My friend is a 100% raw tattoo artist in Boulder.

15. Megan McGill says:

I would tattoo Charlotte Gerson’s face on my shoulder. She is the person who inspired me to major in Dietetics, as well as becoming a physician assistant to help cure people in a holistic approach.

LOVE HER! I want to work for her!

16. Linda says:

THERE IS NO SUCH THING AS A HEALTHY TATTOO!!

The inks have no place in a healthy body. Come on, Kevin, find a real topic.

17. Josh says:

I would get a tattoo of Buddha sitting in a goji berry field in Tibet during dusk drinking GTs chia seed kombucha. There would also be a Cacao tree on his right and red maca roots to his left( I know this is not where they actually grow).

18. Gen says:

David AVOCADO Wolfe. Get it? ha ha

Seriously, I would not tattoo myself either.

19. Dr. D says:

I agree with Linda. Tattoo equals toxin.

20. anna says:

a sparkly glass full of smoothie

21. Lise says:

Mmmm I would get a honey bee because, mmmm just because. And Linda, a little fun never hurt anyone.

22. Embrace Life says:

Spinach holding barbell overhead.

Already have a jar of honey with Winnie the Pooh that says Embrace Life on my thigh.

23. Phyllis says:

i would get a watermelon slice (with seeds) with a big bite taken out of it on my lower back so i could show it off during the summer!

24. Justin says:

A lemon to remind me if life gives you lemons, be positive and make lemonade!

25. George says:

I feel that the person who needs to have tattoos applied to various parts of their bodies have either an inferiority complex, or an identity problem. They are playing “ego games”, or following “peer pressure” as in a bikie gang. I also question the health issues posed by the tattooing process. Tanning parlours are now under strict control and the procedure has been discouraged in Australia. I agree with those above and wouldn’t subject myself to the procedure and the same applies to body piercing.

26. Iva says:

Last summer, I was about to get a tattoo of OM sign inside a lotus flower on my ankle but I chickened out… I think this tattoo would look a lit girlish on you Kevin, but would be nice on Annmarie.:)
    If I had to think on a good one for Kevin, I’d suggest one sleeve with a bunch of fruits, mainly tropical so it would be colorful and very appealing.

27. Sally Garber says:

I wouldn’t get a real tattoo either, but we can sure use more good fun and laughter, so why not? Let’s see, I might get a “tattoo” image of my colonic equipment saying “I ride the Libbe” (open system). After all, cleansing the colon is very liberating! Oh, yeah! I am so blessed to know about this. Thanks, Kevin, this IS fun!

28. Denise says:

I think a Nike SWOOSH with a winking strawberry peeking out from the center on either the top or sole of my foot……..but not permanent…..henna let’s say.

29. so it’s not a food but i would get a Cajal illustration of a neuron, after all, they are a big part of our health and eating right makes them function miraculously!

30. Lance says:

A Cucumber, Lime, Celery and Avocado… I eat more of those then anything else— so i suppose that way it might at least be a good conversation piece to bring up alkalarian eating.

31. Alexandria says:

I love the vitamix container idea on your neck! Hilarious!!

As for me my pretend tattoo (not a ink on my skin kind of gal) would be a bouquet of flowering herbs on my rib cage.

32. michelle says:

My question is: Are there any healthy, non-toxic inks? Inks that do not contain heavy metals? A small tattoo around the ankle would be fine with me. I like the lotus with the “Om” in the middle 🙂

Thanks!

Michelle

33. Wow, hard to hear that so many people are so judgemental about tattoos and those who have them! Kevin, your vitamix idea is hilarious! In that vein, I’d say how about tattooing my face to look like a watermelon. Then I’d be a watermelon head. Or is watermelon too full of sugar and not considered healthy? Hmmm…

34. nicola says:

in my teens I got some tattoos, most people say they look good, i tell them they were from my crazy childhood and infer I can not believe I did what I did. although i love the look of well done colourful pieces. i would not put one more drop of ink in my skin today. FYI i had SKIN CANCER twice in my twenties after the first tattoo!! Coincidence?

35. nicola says:

PS Even though my view of HOLISTIC health has changed to encompasses even my skin, I am sometimes still glad i have them because i think they might keep narrow minded people at bay.

36. Rose says:

I’m still giggling over envisioning Kevin’s Vitamix tat on his neck! Also remember my husband’s and my thouhgts when our daughter showed us her yin and yang tattoo on her abdomen (with surpressed giggles), each silently wondering, “What that will look like when she gets pregnant??” As it turns out, yin and yang still fit together perfectly!
    While I don’t really believe they are healthy things to acquire, I still wouldn’t get one because I still feel the pain from my ear piercings! But to fantisize, it would be a Bindi (Hindu red dot on the forehead,) but instead of red dot, a sun – sort of like my own SADS light to make me smile every time I look in the mirror 🙂

37. Mike Warkentin says:

If you think the Old Testament’s admonition on tattoo’s was to separate Israelite’s from worship of other gods, there is still the damage to the liver – I read this because I had hoped it was about introducing raw foods though the skin.

38. Frances says:

I’d put the word RAW on the inside of my right wrist. I don’t wear a watch on that wrist, so it would fit perfectly with my rubber wristbands.

I don’t ascribe to frivolous tattoos, personally, but for something that I believe in and that is meaningful for me, I will make an exception. As for ink toxicity, you might find this article enlightening: http://www.livestrong.com/article/180816-non-toxic-tattoo-ink-ingredients/

39. Judith says:

I don’t believe that anyone really committed to health would consider a tattoo. Anything toxic injected into the body is bound to cause a problem sometime in the future.

40. Suzanne says:

I agree with George. A tattoo represents unhealthy issues, whether physically, mentally, or emotionally, that should be addressed in other ways. So … no tattoo for me.

41. Sierra says:

Wow, I’m actually really shocked to see the rather vitriolic tattoo hate from George in particular. Projecting your opinion regarding those with tattoos as having “identity problems” and “inferiority complexes” is the most unhealthy thing in this entire post.

There are highly reputable artists who follow strict health guidelines and use non-toxic inks to create their pieces. Rather than being the result of some complex or “ego game” or being in a gang, for the majority of the tattooed populace, it’s a venue of self expression. It’s a personal choice and not for everyone, certainly.

Perhaps instead of being so negative and judgmental, you should consider that some people are simply happy to present aspects of their personality in a different way.

And as soon as I can figure out a visual representation to properly illustrate acceptance and respect regardless of conflicting personal feelings, I’d consider that my healthy tattoo.

42. Marci says:

A NO pesticides sign with the slash through it; right over the scar were my chemo catheter was.

43. Britt says:

I love these ideas…I think I might also get a cute bee to show support for bee farmers and those brave little buzzers who pollinate our plants!

Hm…
    Or I’d get a tree with really awesome and intricate roots. Not really about health per se, but just my general connection with and respect for nature.

44. ildiko says:

never in a million would i subject my body to being needle painted…toxins enter through the skin, the largest organ of the body.
    You are stuck with them for life.

in time, the body ages with wrinkles, the fad fades, as they all do.

45. Velda says:

Please people – Kevin is not suggesting that anyone get a tattoo. He is just have a little bit of fun here. Anyway, I would not get a tattoo either. When I was growing up, people that got tattoos were considered low-lifes, and people that were not very nice and would be mean and harm you. Oddly enough, my youngest son (who is 24 now) is one of the sweetiest young men I know and he has tattoos all over his body. Am I happy about that? No. But kids tend to stretch you 🙂

So, the question is, if I were going to get a healthy tattoo, what and where would it be? LOL I don’t have a clue. Probably a picture of a vitamix with an organic garden in the background just ready for picking. Probably on my back. There, that’s as creative as I am able to get about tattoos LOL

Kevin, you are just too funny!!! 🙂

46. Ally says:

An image of health…. many fruits and vegetables come to mind, but for me personally I would want an image that showed an activity that was meaningful to me, like running. Bodies are made to move and part of my health comes from my habit of running. So I’m thinking words “Every step moves me” forward in my health and life.

47. Jeanne says:

I would keep it simple with a single lettuce leaf.

48. Roberta says:

Thank you so much for the laugh. I love your quirky sense of humor. I wouldn’t get a tattoo
    either for health reasons, but if I could get a really proved 100% healthy one, It would a big beautiful bowl of fruit on my back and green and flowers on my legs like I was standing in a field of greens and flowers. Maybe and bird or two on my arms and neck. Oh ya, and some green vines circling my arms and neck. The tattoo also would have to be pain free as I am a big pansy. Guess that’s more than one. Fun to play with you Kevin.

49. Elo says:

I would use Jeffrey Smith’s T shirt logo.
    GMO
    OMG
    WTF
    ARE WE EATING

50. Joanne says:

I would get a veggie bouquet surrounded by kale leaves and tied with a bow of spiralized beets and zucchini. How about a vegetable and fruit dye temporary tattoo for those worried about this fun exercise?

51. Katia says:

We each have our own way of expressing our desires or interests. It really doesn’t matter what anyone else thinks of anything you have done or would like to do to your body, that is only continuing a cycle of judgement, rather than just enjoying each other regardless. I think I would get a bouquet of various herbs if I were to get one. Let’s all a have a bit if fun people, imagination or not!

52. Lea Lea says:

My healthy tattoo would reflect my 35 yr struggle with recurring Hodgkin’s Lymphoma. I think it would have to be a grape chasing the big “C” with mouth wide open (I know, I know, grapes don’t have mouths. My chemo brain isn’t THAT bad)… think Pacman.

53. Anna says:

Oh, blah blah blah people! What’s wrong with using your imagination and having a little fun?? Kevin didn’t say go out and GET a tattoo.

I’d get a banana because my dad always called me Anna Banana and because they are one of my all-time favorite fruits. OR I’d get a hand cranked wheatgrass juicer with a sunshine sticking out the chute.

54. Ed says:

Not even funny, don’t compete with Ink thank you

55. Bridget says:

I would get a blueberry on each ear b/c I love blueberries. Seriously people lighten up!! Kevin is not advocating for people to get a tattoo. He is just having fun. Wow have a sense of humor. Goodness!! You can eat all the healthful food you want but if u have an uptight attitude you are negating all the benefits of healthy eating. Emotions can Be more toxic than bad foods!!

56. Beverly says:

It is for fun u guys, I would get eagle with a olive leaf, peace and freedom to eat what I choose than I take adult stem cell nutrition http://jdimlm.com/miracles, to your health and wellness.

57. Yvonne says:

I’d get a honey bee on the tip of my nose! This post makes me smile, everyone is so clever.

58. Jacquie says:

Hmmm, a sparkly glass of green juice…topped off with a beautiful slice of lemon.

59. Michael says:

In regards of tattoo it would be good if it is practical, for example the bristol stool chart. That is very convenient for a practitioner, so you can show the tattoo to a client and ask to choose their poo… 🙂

60. Diane says:

Okay, I might not actually get a tattoo–but this is a fun topic. I’d have to get a lacinato kale on my ankle.

I kind of have a love thing on going with that veggie—it sneaks into my juices, my smoothies and cooked with butter and lemon! WOW

61. Tom says:

Sorry to rain on everyone’s parade, but I don’t believe in defacing my body, which my bible says is a temple for our creator.

While in the US Navy, I was belittled for not having nor getting one…my reply was if God wanted me to be blue, I’d have been born a blue smurf! Besides, they look like hell, when one gets old and their skin sag’s!

Tom

62. Hector says:

I would get a group of carrots with the tops on my arm. cause i love drinking carrot juice.

63. Sarah says:

HAHAHA
    Kev, you had to know you’d get a bunch of horrified health nuts scolding you for this one! hahaha
    Don’t get me wrong though; I as one of those newfound health nuts, also agree….please no one actually tatoo yourselves! I read that the toxic chemicals in the ink inserted under your skin (which gets absorbed by your blood) isn’t even regulated due to its classification… Don’t get mercury dental fillings, don’t get tatoos, and I agree George, I’m now beginning to question piercings as well. I’ve had infections from ear piercings…I wonder if those earring metals would be in my bloodstream? It’s worth questioning I think since a continual source of poisoning isn’t what any of us is after!
    Anyway, Kevin wasn’t condoning real tatoos…I thought it was pretty obvious that this was just a hypothetical…for fun.
    I’m sure he’s probably groaning right now at all these serious comments! 🙂 Sorry Kevin!
    Mine would be, ummm, maybe “Toxins from this tatoo ink now in my blood:”, followed by the list of toxins, followed by “I really wish this would wash off”
    (groan) Or maybe,
    a big coconut holding down a BBQ saucey chicken wing in an intense UFC hold in the ring and the ref (a walnut half that looks like Kim Winslow) signalling the end of the fight
    (conversation piece)

64. Rick says:

You realize that permanent tattoos use toxic ink, correct? But if I were to get a “healthy” tattoo, it would read “Renegade Heath”, of course. 🙂

65. ry says:

I totally agree with you on Daniels arm Sleeve tattoos they were done with natural inks too…Matt monarch interviewed him a while ago on them…

As for tattoos for myself If so Id get something related to the Daoists like Daniels Formless immortalist or something to do with the three treasures of Chinese arts…probably even a small Nutrition facts symbol…

66. Desiree says:

I already have one:P It’s an OM on my ankle and I love it! It is a constant reminder to honor my divine consciousness and to live in the present moment. My only wish is that I would have known what I know now about the natural inks. I believe the ink used on me 5 years ago has contributed to some of my health problems. So a word to anyone wanting a tattoo make sure it’s natural, organic ink!

67. Brandi says:

I would get a romanesco broccoli on my right back shoulder for its lovely geometrical design.

68. Mike Storm says:

Thanks Kevin for a light hearted topic. I (like most on here) am a bit baffled at the seriousness of a few people posting their strong dislike for one’s creative side. I think that maybe you NEED to post an article, and quickly, on natural ink tattoos.

As for me, it’s a bit different twist but I would like to do a play on words with my last name. Eye of the Storm, with my dad’s name in the middle (maybe in Sanskrit) because he’s the eye of the Storm in my eyes. More of a genetic and family thing, which are both very vital to health. Thanks for sharing all of the great replies too!

69. Celine Fernando says:

I would tattoo kefir grains fermenting in one arm and assorted sprouts on the other because I always forget to “feed” my kefir and tend to the seeds I sprout. 🙂

70. Kevin, I enjoy your website very much and truly appreciate the great information that you and AnnMarie provide. That being said, I have to join the others to warn against getting a tattoo…even one that promotes health. Talk about an oxymoron, lol. My own son is covered in beautiful spiritual tattoos, (mandalas, lotus flowers, sacred geometry, etc.) but it makes me cringe. He sent me the label on the “organic tattoo ink” that was used, and one of the ingredients was ethanol…definitely a very toxic chemical.

Below is an article that I share with your readers. Healthy regards, Karen Russell, Healthy Life Advisors, http://www.HealthyLifeAdvisors.org

TATTOO’S DEADLY LITTLE SECRET

That harmless little “innocent” tattoo may have a little secret hiding inside.

A very deadly little secret. . .

Underneath that harmless tattoo is a very serious risk of acquiring a deadly blood-borne disease such as AIDS, Hepatitis B, Hepatitis C, tetanus, syphilis, tuberculosis and other blood-born diseases.

An alarming research study recently published by Dr. Bob Haley and Dr. Paul Fischer at the University of Texas Southwestern Medical School in Dallas uncovered that the “innocent” commercial tattoo may be the number one distributor of hepatitis C. The study was published in the journal Medicine (Haley RW, Fischer RP, Commercial tattooing as a potentially source of hepatitis C infection, Medicine, March 2000;80:134-151). Dr. Haley, a preventative medicine specialist and a former Center for Disease Control (CDC) infection control official, is exceptionally knowledgeable to prepare the study.

Dr. Haley concludes, “We found that commercially acquired tattoos accounted for more than twice as many hepatitis C infections as injection-drug use. This means it may have been the largest single contributor to the nationwide epidemic of this form of hepatitis.”

Incredible. According to Dr. Haley’s research you are twice as likely to be infected with hepatitis C from getting a tattoo from a tattoo shop than shooting up dope! With over 20 million Americans wearing a tattoo – and growing by leaps and bounds – we are likely staring down the barrel of a mammoth deadly epidemic.

The study also found that people who get tattooed in a commercial tattoo parlor were nine times more likely to get hepatitis C! That’s nine times more likely to be infected by a deadly, fatal disease. And Dr. Haley is not referring to “backyard-prison-tattoos” but a tattoo from a “sanitized” commercial tattoo shop.

Did you know the deadly disease hepatitis C kills over 10,000 people a year? And sky-rocketing. . . Currently 4 million Americans are chronically infected with hepatitis C and rising. . . And according to Dr. Haley, it’s number one channel — the deadly tattoo. . . Courtesy of your friendly commercial tattoo parlor.

There is the documentated case of a 22-year-old grocery store employee who simply received his $45 tattoo. And four weeks later – needed a liver transplant! (Mryna L. Armstrong and Lynne Kelly, Tattooing, Body Piercing, and Branding Are on the Rise, The Journal of School Nursing, Feb. 2001, Vol 17 No. 1, p.15)

When you consider hepatitis B can be transmitted with as little as 0.00004 ml of blood, and can live on blood contaminated surfaces, such as needles, tattoo machines, tables, etc. for over two months, the risk of hepatitis is very real indeed.

IMPORTANT: It’s strongly advised for people who have tattoos to get a Hepatitis check. And soon. . . Hepatitis can lie unnoticed for many years while doing serious damage. The sooner hepatitis is detected the better the chances for survival. If you have a tattoo – get checked.

WebMD warns of the “Russian Roulette” tattoo procedure — as each stick of the tattoo needle opens you up to contracting a deadly disease:

“Hepatitis C is spread by infected blood and infected needles, which is the virus’ connection with tattooing. Tattoos involve lots of needles making lots of sticks in the skin. Each stick carries potential for contamination — and not just with hepatitis, but also HIV, . . .”
    (Pamela Anderson Says She Has Hepatitis C, WebMD Medical News, March 21, 2002, content.health.msn.com/content/article/1678.50634)

Still want a tattoo?

Ask actress Pamela Anderson about the harmless tattoo. Pamela contracted the deadly hepatitis C from a simple, small finger “TOMMY” tattoo.

The fact of tattoos spreading deadly diseases is nothing new. It’s been known and documented for years.

According to the Hepatitis Control Report, Spring 2001, “Outside the United States, several studies have connected the practice [tattoos] to hepatitis B and C virus transmission. . .”

“Tattooing poses health risks because the process exposes blood and body fluids. Because of this a person who gets tattooed risks getting a disease or infection that is carried through blood. These blood-borne diseases include hepatitis B and C, tetanus, and HIV.”
    (Bonnie B. Graves, Tattooing and body piercing, p. 40)

“By the middle of the nineteenth century, it was becoming more and more apparent that the practice was not without its medical hazards. For instance, in 1853 the first case was reported of syphilis, transmitted not in the old fashioned way, but via the tattooist’s needle.”
    (Ronald Scutt, Art, Sex and Symbol, 1974, p. 133)

“In the late 1950’s, a New York City boy contracted blood poisoning from being tattooed with an unsterilized needle.”
    (Laura Reybold, Everything you need to know about the dangers of tattooing and body piercing, p. 17)

In 1961 an outbreak of hepatitis B in New York City was linked to the tattoo. And the “ultra-liberal” New York City outlawed the deadly tattoo from 1961 until 1997!

Did you know the American Red Cross prohibits donors from donating blood for 12 months – one complete year — after getting tattooed? Their Blood Donation Eligibility Guidelines under “Tattoo” reads, “Wait 12 months after a tattoo. This requirement is related to concerns about hepatitis.”

Get this. . . According to research published in the Journal of School Health, 70 percent of 642 adolescents surveyed in a study reported hemorrhaging while being tattooed. (Donald Staffo , The Tuscaloosa Times, January 10, 2001)

Despite the attempt of many tattoo websites to nullify the possibility of contracting HIV / AIDS from a tattoo, the Center for Disease Control (CDC) gives a different answer:

“Can I get HIV from getting a tattoo or through body piercing?
    A risk of HIV transmission does exist if instruments contaminated with blood are either not sterilized or disinfected or are used inappropriately between clients. CDC recommends that instruments that are intended to penetrate the skin be used once, then disposed of or thoroughly cleaned and sterilized.”
    (www.cdc.gov/hiv/pubs/faq/faq27.htm)

Why are tattoos so vulnerable to deadly diseases?

Simple. Because the tattooist is puncturing thousands of tiny potential disease bearing wounds with very little, if any, serious state or federal health regulations. And not only that, many of the customers receiving a tattoo are drug-users, criminals, rock artists, deviants and homosexuals who just happen to be the major carriers of the deadly blood-borne diseases such as AIDS and hepatitis.

And there exists no or very little federal or state laws enforcing any serious sterilization regulations. It is basically up to the tattoo shop owner to sterilize or not sterilize his tattooing tools and procedures.

“Where tattooing is legal, however there is little or no government regulation of tattoo artists. . . Since there is little regulation of tattoo artists, however, it is important to recognize that, as in any field, there may be unscrupulous or incompetent practitioners. Tattooing opens your body to potential infection, disease, and scarring.”
    (Laura Reybold, Everything you need to know about the dangers of tattooing and body piercing, p. 18)

On their web site, the world-renown, Mayo Clinic sounds a warning about the dangers of the commercial tattoo shop and lack of serious health regulations:

“Keep in mind that tattoo parlors and piercing venues are not held to the same sterility standards as doctors’ offices and hospitals. Few states have hygienic regulations to ensure safe tattooing practices in commercial tattoo parlors, and even fewer monitor and enforce standards.”
    (Body piercing and tattoos: More than skin deep, Mayo Clinic, http://www.mayoclinic.com)

WebMD also acknowledges the lack of sterile regulations missing in most tattoo shops:

“By and large, tattoo artists and shops are not required — by state or local governments — to follow the same sterile operating practices as other operations that use needles, like hospitals and doctor’s offices.”

Dennis Dwyer, executive director of the tattoo’s industry voluntary-self-monitoring organization Alliance for Professional Tattoo Artists (APT) readily admits the problem, “Many people are trying their best to provide safe tattooing. But this industry has a lot of nonconformists,”

Tattoo industry expert Professor Myrna Alexander of Texas Tech University, who has researched the tattoo industry for 10 years, warns, “There are some very reputable tattoo artists out there. They work hard, and their studios are as clean as medical clinics. They do a good job because they believe what they are doing is art. The problem is, there are many who don’t.”

Most tattoo shops do not and will not advise you to the real potential for serious health dangers. Despite the vast amount of research available (just search the Internet) many tattooist still refuse to acknowledge the very serious health dangers the tattoo invites.

OTHER LITTLE DANGERS
    Besides the possibility of killing you with fatal diseases such as AIDS and hepatitis, the “harmless” tattoo provides an arm-load of other ailments.

Tattoos can cause chronic skin disorders such as sarcoid, keloid scarring, allergic dermatitis, photosensitivity reactions, psoriasis, and benign or malignant tumors. (www.saintmarys.edu/~health/dyk0010.html) Many people experience infection and allergic reaction to the tattoo ink.

Also, the pigments in tattoo ink contain small metal fibers such as iron oxide. These metal fibers can cause intense burning pain during an MRI procedure. Some medical institutions refuse to perform MRIs on people with tattoos. The MRI is an important medical procedure and this risk should not be taken lightly. (www.ezpermanentmakeup.com/IronOxideLetters.htm) And every prick is an invitation for blood-bourne diseases such as hepatitis and AIDS.

Think before you get that tattoo. . .

A tattooing machine can puncture the skin 3,000 times a minute. And every one of those thousands of punctures creates a hole 1/64 to 1/16th of an inch into the dermis that literally invites infection and disease. Every single puncture of the tattoo needle opens up the real possibility of AIDS, Hepatitis B, Hepatitis C, tetanus, tuberculosis and about any other blood-borne disease. With the average tattoo taking about 60 minutes that equals 180,000 tiny “Russian Roulette” puncture wounds providing a potential path to a very deadly infectious disease.

71. Sandi says:

A blueberry chain around my ankle and mango flowers on my bottom. =)

72. Shannon says:

I’d get a peacock feather which is considered to represent “renewal” in some cultures.

73. Jen says:

My favourite so far is #59 – The Bristol Stool Chart! Crazy funny!!!

My ‘healthy’ tattoo would be a “Nutrition Label” labeling all the nutritional ingredients of the human body – inspired by Bernard Jensen – Chemistry of Man.

74. kerrie says:

to all those serious people chill a bit, Kevin said IF you were to get a tattoo, not “if you say it so it shall be!!!!”
    Sometimes its great to have Kev do a post that is fun and chilled and a bit silly.Life is not always serious and a few endorphins from a laugh or a smile about peoples silly responses is a healthy thing.I am curious about the 100% raw tattoo artist in Boulder, wonder if he uses some sort of vegetable dyes? I would have the V for vegetarian on the space between my thumb and first finger so that when I am old and senile and in a nursing home they won’t feed me that horrible pureed mince stuff. LOL

75. Borealis says:

I would get kale leaves, with natural non-toxic pigments (that are now available in some tattoo places)
    Be well~

76. zyxomma says:

Well, I got my tattoo ( a dragonfly above a lotus on a pond, with puffy clouds above it) six months before a book was published that made the world go tattoo-mad. Do I regret it? NO!

Were I to get another, it would be a honeybee, or maybe the queen bee and her servants. (I was going to get silly and say a grapefruit on the thigh, to go with the cellulite, but seeing how seriously mean some people are, thought better of it.)

77. Merlot says:

I think I would have the Eatwell Plate (I live in England). It would be a fun, colourful reminder to eat healthy every day. 🙂

78. mike says:

I would get kevins face tatooed on my face so that people took me seriously when i advised them on health.ok maybe that would just scare them..im thinking..

79. RJ says:

I’d add some freshly scribed berries and seeds to my over 30-year old tattoo. Tattoos really don’t fade…the fine lines just become wide-lines. Skin grows/changes, even if one stays slender/healthy in old age.

80. Samantha says:

Wow…people really need to get a sense of humour…or maybe just an enema! (Too crude? But I’m not wrong! Seriously! They work wonders! lol) You do realize that negativity is in itself a kind of “toxin”, right? So anyone “really” committed to their health would not be negative or judgemental everytime they disagree with something b/c that’s really counter-productive, right??? Hmmm…oh yeah, and tattoos and piercings are also part of a warrior tradition, as Daniel Vitalis says, who has tattoos done with natural pigments. That’s why people often get one after they’ve accomplished something-it’s like a rite of passage. And as far as inferiority complexes go, a classic example of the kind of person who actually has one is someone with a constant need to make other people feel small- imagine a really angry short person who goes around punching tall people in the back of their knees. That’s what I picture when someone is hurling nasty insults at people.

Now what I really wanted to say: I would get broccoli all over my chest. Get it? BRAcolli! Haha. I’m always in a silly mood right after work. =)

81. Chantale says:

Hilarious, had to laugh at some of the ideas 🙂
    I have got a tattoo which represents my happy place, that’s health too right. But otherwise maybe beautiful sprouts around my ankle or a meaningful healthy word but then tattooed as a barcode. So nobody will know what it stands for 😉

82. christine says:

I would get a big capital letter V with fruit and vegetables around the base of the V and maybe inside it. The V represents vegan, vegetables, vitamins, vitality, vitamix. Still thinking about where this would go – Im thinking either my upper arm or lower back.

To the person who said are you kidding in the comments above and mentioned how unhealthy tattoos are. I think you missed the part in the blog about having some fun 🙂

83. Seren says:

I have 9 tattoos. avocado with mushrooms and peapods are some health related so far. will be getting plenty more. and really. everyone who is bashing tattoos, you, objectively speaking, have no idea what youre talking about. theyre bound to do nothing as time goes on except fade. If youre really eating right and exercising shouldn’t your golden-god bodies have a strong enough immune system to take care of microscopic, decades old ink components? they have vegan ink all over the place. factory farms, carpet cleaners, car exhaust, national inquirer- these are toxins, not tattoos. stay grounded kids

84. TO EVERYONE BASHING TATTOOS AND CRITICIZING KEVIN FOR WRITING THIS POST: We all know its not really ‘healthy’ for your body when you permanently put ink in several layers of your skin, but the point of this post was to be CREATIVE in thinking of a tattoo design that expresses your love of health. Its just the same as if you were asked to draw a picture of what you think represents your love of health. BE A LITTLE MORE OPEN-MINDED PEOPLE!!!

85. Rob T says:

“Have fun or be serious, its up to you”, said Kev. So here’s my comment but utterly no suggestions for a design (don’t know what you need it for Kev!). Kev, I personally think you made a bad call or at best worded it wrong. However, what has shocked and dismayed me is that so many of your bloggers admitted to having tattoos. As the serious detractors came in gradually the comments no longer admitted to ownership and it became “fun”. Tattoos – and body piercings, warrior traditions, natural colouring tats as enumerated by many above – ain’t fun. Kev, perhaps you should put the sale on hold until you get 250 SERIOUS comments or just cancel. Perhaps a clear the air message tomorrow will help!!!.

86. Michael says:

I would get one of an avocado sliced in half………I love avocado and homemade guacamole!!!!!!!!!!

87. Judi says:

I would have a picture of a cornucopia filled with fruits and vegetables with male and female body builders on top of it on my shoulder

88. meta says:

This was not your best blog. I agree with the last post. I never thought it was healthy to promote tattoos, and I am opposed to them.

89. Tracy Bordewyk says:

I would never get a real tattoo, maybe a henna one thought! I would get the word “glow” with the “o” as an orange.

90. Marcey says:

No actual tatoos from me, either…but…The Kale plants growing in the garden are really pretty…ankle to just above the knee??? Or…my 2 year old (almost) grandson eating kale chips and/or an apple. Didn’t read all comments due to time, but people, lighten up, Kevin wasn’t promoting the healthiness of tatoos, just having a bit of fun.

91. …a bunch of purple grapes with a green leaf on the inside of my right ankle with the word “love”(in pink)–a key ingredient for health. The tatoo would be quite small.

92. Holly says:

I would get a tree, like the tree of life… maybe the trunk would be a woman and her arms would be reaching up to form the branches. It would be all wispy and feminine.

93. W. Amstad says:

Wow, I am so shocked with all the rude comments. Holistic Health is not just what you eat! It means healthy body, mind and soul. Being so judgemental of others does not appear healthy at all. It appears up-tight, grumpy and hateful. I have a big peace sign on my back and it represents living in love and peace with others! Kevin was just posting a fun question. Maybe those of you who have nothing nice to say should refrain from commenting and participating.

Back to the fun of Kev’s question… I would get the word RAW inked across my back, and I would love it and show it proudly!

94. LynnCS says:

I think the most important would be medical info. Blood type, etc. Especially if an allergy exists or something that should be known immediately by medical personnel. Where? Maybe on my wrist because the first thing they do is try to take your pulse. I know we all try to think that we are never going to need doctors, or get sick, but stuff happens and we are not always coherant when we do. Other than that, can’t imagine any tatoo for any other reason.

95. Samantha says:

I get a image of the circle of life – a seed, a plant a flower and that plant with seed heads. Something like that just to remind me of what life is about – fulfillment and fertility…..not very vegan or anything but that’s what I do if I wanted to live with it for the rest of my life….

96. Jeff says:

Seriously? …perhaps a tattoo of a healthy body with “no” tattoos.

97. Sayward says:

Some of these comments are cracking me up!

For my second tattoo, I shall get an image of a tightly clenched bottom – an homage to so many of my comrades in this natural health community.

98. shane says:

a healthy tattoo, let me see,how about a dump truck load of supermarket products like canned or processed, poison fed meat products,chemical drenched fruit and veg, or how about another truck along side the first one,dumping the whole supermarket. I think this would say it all.shane.m.

99. Kaila says:

Serious: just the words “make raw not war”

100. smogybirchleaf says:

i would tatoo chia seeds all overmy body… 🙂

101. smogybirchleaf says:

honestly maybe some tribal indegenous primitive tatoo with cactus needle or bones and ash.

actually i think tatoos a a form of self destruction. and ithink only love is pure. everything has love still i feel without tatoos we still hve ome marks which give and tell our story. painting our skin is maybe an alternative. just cover our face with soil mud, clay, in difernt colours.

102. A mango with angel wings on it!

103. carmen says:

I would have a sun tatoo, as all good things come from the sun!

104. Shannon says:

Thanks Kev-Talke a deep breath now. I think good on you for a silly post!

The wonderful 2nd conditional question-my favourite kind! I love using my imagination for something I may not necessarily do!!

So….I’d get me standing in a spring water waterfall in the forest, looking radiant and soaking up the beautiful nature spirit.

105. shine says:

maybe warning raw food eats away at your sence of humour !

106. snowmoonelk says:

A waterfall going into a beautiful pool.

107. BrDonaldson says:

I would get the both “100% Organic” and “Non-GMO” labels…

108. Kathy says:

Sayward LOL!!!!! that’s great
    I’m sure every group/community of people has their share of those with the “tightly clenched bottom”
    So many neat ideas – I can’t think of any one thing that would be my most important because things change, so probably the most all purpose symbol would be a “ying/yang”

109. Jo says:

Hi Kev-
    I wouldn’t get a tat because it is taboo in the Bible. It was Old Testament days, but
    still God must of had reasons. Perhaps he
    knew man would not be wise enough to use some
    sort of organic ink. Even if we were, he asks
    us not to mark up our temples, as we were made
    in his image, so think about it as a life long
    issue one might regret. Who needs more issues?

110. Cassie says:

I’d do an arm band of my favorite whole fruits and vegtables all in line; a beet, carrot, parsnip, sweet potato, apple, organge, banana, pinapple, strawberry, kale, avocado, sweet peas, and then have roots coming out root vegetables and intertwining in a thin band below.

Or maybe..I would tattoo my fingers all my fingers to look like colorful carrots with my hand as their greens 🙂

111. Brooke says:

I would get something to do with non-GMO and organic lifestyles. Maybe wild dandelions choking and beating up RoundUp Ready corn. That sounds a little violent, but I get mad when my health freedoms are taken away 🙂

112. Rhedonda H says:

I would get a lotus flower on top of a yin yang symbol for balance and harmony within your body. And yes I get the negative vibe which is nuts but whatever. I have to make a comment about Tom and his post because yes our body is technically defiled when you put these unnatural things in our body according to God but he didn’t say to go into the army and kill people so how can you justify. Kind of hypocritical. Any way it’s all fun thanks Kevin for trying to have fun with us, too bad people take things so seriously.

113. sarah says:

Health and Tattoo are oxymorons in so many ways.

Let’s all eat organically grown fruits and vegetables, but pump dyes and inks into our skin. really?

Let’s want food in their natural, beautiful state, but lets not love our bodies enough to do the same. No lets all mark them up with ink and dyes permanently.

Let’s be reengages with our health and march to our own beat while we drink healthy juices and wheatgrass shots, but lets all copy the hollywoods trend of the day – tattoos – because they are so cool and edgy.

114. js says:

A healthy tatoo – is no tatoo
    It messes with your liver

115. Lorien says:

I have always wanted to tatoo a set of lips on the top portion of my left butt cheek. That way if someone has an issue with me I don’t have to say a word, I can just show them my tatoo……

Based on some of the judgemental commments over something that is just for fun I’d say many of you would have seen it by now……

I have a friend who had the chakra’s tatooed up her spin where the points are. It reminds her to take care of herself every time she see’s them…..

I’d make mine something about personal freedom and the ability to honor yourself. It’s a difficult area for me personally. I’ve wanted a tatoo for ages but not sure I could deal with the pain part as my skin in very sensitive. You can cut me open and I bounce right back from that, no pain issues there. But if I run into a wall, whatever hits will be sore for a long while. I intend to get over it and get one before I make my transitiion. I’m only 55 so I have awhile to figure it out. When I do I’ll make sure to let everyone know. And of course the lips will have to get done as well…….

116. Mary C Malnor says:

i would get a tree, with the roots going down the top of my foot and the branches reaching up to the stars, maybe a few leaves falling off to signify letting go of the old and new buds appearing to signify a new beginning. IT reminds me to stay grounded and the reach for new things.

117. Dear Ones: for many years, I’d wanted to get a tattoo of something simple – like an OM, butterfly or Lotus flower. But just for today…I’d get one of me riding a unicorn with a basket of fruit and veggies coming out of a beautiful forest to bring as gifts to whoever needs them…

All Love,
    Padme A’Tea

118. I have always wanted to get a sprout starting from my foot (roots spread around my foot), with the shoot traveling all the way up and around my leg up to my back with the sprout in full effect. Essentially meaning I need to be grounded to the Earth in order to grow (physically, mentally, spiritually, etc).

119. Claudio says:

I would have a heart and inside woudl be three words Body, Mind, Soul

Claudio

120. Katia says:

Great ideas, everyone! I enjoyed reading your comments! 🙂 Wishing you all a beautiful day!

121. Sarah says:

It’s not kosher per my religion to get a tattoo, so I’d don one of those washable kid-type ‘toos of dirt on the bottom of mt feet and grass crawling up around my ankles. Being grounded, working in the garden, eating organic…from the earth sunshine and fresh air. Chlorophyll says health to me. 🙂 -keen on green!

122. Wayne says:

I’m going to join Shannon….Whoa! imagination running wild.

Ok, back to the task at hand.
    Left shoulder – Popeye with both hands full of fresh spinach! Forget the can!

123. i would turn my ball sacks into goji berrys…

124. O says:

I’d have to agree with Martin P above. Tattoos are not healthy. But in an ideal world if they were, a picture of a little chick that said “eat more veggies”

125. O says:

What about a pic of a fork over a knife.

126. Veronica says:

I agree with Martin Pytela. How in the world can a tattoo be healthy? I would NEVER do such an unhealthy thing to my body.

But…if there were such a thing as a “healthy” tattoo…I might do something showing a cornucopia of vegetables. I love vegetables!

127. Edwin says:

An apple, a banana and a celery stalk bunch all
    embraced from behind by the long arms of the smiling faced Sun!

128. Wendy says:

A dandelion on my ankle.

129. Caryl DeHerrera says:

I would get a butterfly on my ankle but the Wings would be made up of fruits and vegetables! I use rub on tattoo’s….;-)

130. Teresa says:

I would get a strawberry with its beautifull flowers crawling down my left hip.

A fun tattoo would be a little red smiling devil on my left shoulder blade. Then the devil can watch over me that I’m not doing anything stupid 😉

131. Cici Cummins says:

My daughter has asked me not to get a tattoo … but if I were to get one I’d love to have greens and vines all over my body with butterflies and devas / faeries in full color.

132. joel brown says:

ginger root and flower, perhaps rising up from the ankle

133. Blair says:

definitely a steak and a hamburger 😉

probably a raspberry…love those.

134. Brianna says:

If I ever got a tattoo…

serious: “know thyself” – a reminder of one of the most important goals in life

ridiculous: R2D2 getting freaky with a juicer 😐

common/classic: a butterfly to represent natural beauty, freedom, and the fragility of life

This is why I probably won’t ever get a tattoo – I can’t decide what I would get, and I think they would all look silly on my old, wrinkly skin someday (if i’m so fortunate to become very old)! maybe the butterfly would still be cute… anyway! there you have it.

135. eyla says:

Well, I already have an apple and a borage plant, but aloe plants are so beautiful, I would seriously consider them too, especially when they are flowering, the colours are spectacular and their form is stunning, lots of inking space left and a tattoo artist for a partner 🙂
    Very funny stuff, and interesting that Daniel Vitalis experimented with natural inking like nettle juice, so there are ways to go about it that aren’t toxin based for those who are worried about it,
    in the end of it all it’s such a personal thing, we all have different reasons for doing it and I love to be able to express myself outwardly in that way, it is not about the worlds perception of me but more about my own identity and wearing that for myself, it’s quite a special thing….

136. @Karen Russell… all of that and you could get hit by a car also, or you could be in a planecrash, or you could get hit by a lightning, or you…

137. QC says:

I have thought about having a tattoo on my upper back just below my neck. But that was long ago, now since I’m on a healing path, I would not do that to my body, no way. Beside, I can never come up with an image that I’m sure I will like to have for the rest of my life…

138. Marie says:

no tattoo for me. If you wear it on you does not mean you are healthy or can stick to the healthy plan long term! + I agree with most way too many toxins to process…

139. Prairiewind says:

Garden of Eat’n doncha know 🙂 Meadow of green grass across the whole back, lots of vegies and cut-open fruit so you can see the beauteous colors of mango, apricot, kiwi, berries. Maybe some kind of implants to make a 3D effect!

140. Shelley says:

Why don’t raw vegans have a symbol like vegetarians have the V and vegans have the V with a sunflower?? That’s what I would seriously like to get. Or I would keep it simple with just an apple, green leaf, or edible flowers. A funny one that I would never really get would be a big rabbit eating veggies because my husband says I eat like a rabbit. 🙂

141. John says:

Shave you chest and get some wheatgrass inked on

142. Maya says:

I never thought about getting a tatto but its fun to think. How about Yakuza style filled with fruits, veggies, trees, nuts, and big smily face.

143. Mist says:

What hilarious comments! I laughed so hard that my eyes teared! 🙂

I would get the yin and yang symbol altered into a heart shape and place it on my heart.

Those who do not care for permanent tattoos might consider temporary ones or non-toxic body paint or henna as mentioned. For my yin and yang symbol, I could use white clay for the white part and activated charcoal for the black part.

Deck out in beautiful clothing, adorn with beautiful jewelry, embellish with beautiful makeup (face or body, temporary or permanent, paint or tattoo), let wearable art brighten up the world and make hearts smile! <3<3<3

144. sirusace says:

I like the sentence “Green for life” written in vine leaves-shaped font…..

145. Linda says:

No Please are we not temples of the Holy Spirit No ink markings on thy body Peace

146. Jessie says:

I would get a bunch of beets with the one in the center having a big goofy smile and pounding his chest to show his vitality! I like beets because I think they helped my liver detox.

147. Bryan says:

In my imagination the tattoo I would get that was health oriented might be the fruit of the loom guys. LOL

148. keg says:

IF tats were healthy, I still would not get one – their shelf life is as long as the rest of yours.

149. Paula Boles says:

I’m sure most of us have seen the bumper sticker that says,”COEXIST” in letters that are made with various religious symbols. I would have that tatooed on my arm. Not exactly a health symbol, but our planet would be so much better off it all the religios people in the world would do just that.. COEXIST!

150. Kaelian says:

Although I agree with Martin Pytela (If that’s honestly him, and no offense if it is, of course!) since this is a hypothetical scenario, and I’d HAVE TO have a tattoo that represents health…I don’t think that there’s only one thing that epitomises this concept, since it’s really a wholistic condition of being, but maybe I’d choose a bunch of fruits framed by a heart put on each bicep to show that my body is built and fueled with love, fruits aaand the love of fruits!

151. john says:

A monsterous bear chillin with a sliced open coconut in one hand, and a beehive in the other. He would be baskin’ in the sun near quite a few big mushrooms and a salmon filled stream.

152. naomi says:

OMG #123 LOL! love the whole body chia seeds! passionfruit flowers are so beautiful… but my fave is the SUNFLOWER – So happy! and reminds me of anastasia. have thought of getting E=mc2 (LOVE albert E.) or an eternity symbol which reminds me to have healthy thoughts (to drop the unimportant stuff.) OR just the word AHIMSA

153. naomi says:

ps think the jucier w/- oranges is Hideous!! lol

154. suzanne says:

a carrot on my upper arm.

155. wendy green says:

ok, i’m game. i would have a joyous spring green sunflower sprout growing up the back of my inner ankle …discreet but cute.

156. Robin says:

I think a ring of wheatgrass or sprouts going around my ankle could be fun.

157. Cam says:

none for my body, but in a perfect world, under a small sunflower a small spinach leaf with a couple of pine nuts on the leaf on the back of my neck

158. Nicole - Australia says:

I would get one that said
    “Tattoos are toxic”

159. Elizabeth says:

Its not completely creative but… I’d get a bright red strawberry on my ankle. The strawberry is not only my favorite fruit but also reminds me of everything “healthy”, “living” and “fresh”. It represents the summer, the sunshine, happy memories of picking strawberries in my back yard as a child… and I have them everyday in my morning smoothie!!

160. Charlie says:

I would have to get a smiling Jay Kordich face on my bicep, the grandfather of juicing.

And of course taking up my whole back- Dr. Jameth Sheridan’s face saying- “don’t throw the baby out with the bathwater.”

The End

161. Christina says:

I would get a salmon swimming around my ankle, mostly because he is a significant part of my diet/ life!!

162. Kym says:

Perhaps a lattice work of synapses as I’m very interested in brain health. But only if was henna or something similar, of course. 😉

Kevin, I hope you’ll investigate if you do decide to get sleeves. I don’t know much about the toxicity of traditional tattoo inks but I’ve read the process used in many cultures damages the sweat glands. One reason many yakuza with traditional irezumi have liver problems, apparently.

163. W. says:

I’m a bit of a needle chicken, but I do like to play games… this did get me thinking though- what type of home decor could I make for my kitchen? (hmmm) Perhaps a family crest with a soup pot, carrots and apples for juicing, a triange with a heart (to represent spiritual health), and a mushroom because my gram LOVED them 🙂 (perhaps a tatoo of this on a chain around my neck)

fun to read everyones ideas!

164. Julia says:

Kevin, this is so funny. Thanks for the laughs. I like the idea of using the ingredients list, like something like your T-shirt logo with all the ingredients – love, passion, enthusiasm, etc. Or a more literal ingredients list with actual chemical compositions. Or maybe something like this: 100% organic non-GMO Ingredients: blood, bones, kidneys, heart, liver, brain, and SOUL… 🙂

Or how about a “follow the bouncing carrot” with a bunny chasing a picture of a carrot all throughout the GI track from mouth, to throat, to stomach…hahaha that’s so silly…

How about a picture of probiotic bugs on your belly, haha…

…oh so funny…obviously not for aesthetics, just for laughs…

165. Ghada says:

How about temporary henna tattoos and changing the message (which can be words or images) every couple of weeks as it washes off?

166. Oleander says:

” Save the pigs in Michigan – AND bring the US in line with the ethical tennants of the 21st Century civilised world”

Oleander UK

167. L1Z says:

I am trained in harp therapy. So I should have a Celtic harp, and the inscription: “Harmonize: My vibrations soothe your inflammation!”

168. Nihacc says:

I’ve always liked this ‘wild tomato plant’ tattoo of Gayla Trail:

169. satori says:

i would have a tattoo that reads “healthy and I know it” on my lower back. Or “vegetables” on my inner arm.

170. Susan says:

Some kind of tattoo to remind me to stay in the moment.

171. Laura says:

I would get an apple tree at the base of my neck with branches spreading over my shoulder. There would be a sprinkle of apples with a few blossoms blooming throughout. The tree’s roots would be running down my spine stopping somewhere toward the waist area. The roots would be long and searching over my hips and lower back.
    Apples are a symbolism for energy. The wood element is a stimulus for new projects and adventures. Energy comes from apple blossoms bursting to take on any new challenges and renews our inner strength.

172. Gloria says:

How about a small meditating cow with the words underneath LOVE ALL THINGS.

173. Jim McMahon says:

I think if I got another tattoo at this point it would have to do with either yoga (healthy) or my celtic origins….

174. Emily says:

OK–only doing this to help the cause. Would not get a real tattoo! But a fake one: um, let’s see, maybe an apple. Well, that’ s not very imaginative. Just helping out!

175. @you guys arguing the health of a tattoo. Get a grip. This dude was just throwing a hypothetical idea out for humor. But god forbid. Cause there is nothing humorous about our health.geez. Sounds
    Like some of you need a colonix and juice fast to expel some of that stuffiness.

176. Bryan says:

Susan ~ How about a clock that has the word “Now” at each of the hour points. 🙂

Tattoo Health warning folks ~ How about a hot dog, cause y’all are being such wieners! LOL Thanks for your concern, but unless I missed Kevin saying the winner was gonna get their real tattoo done, it was all in fun. If you are posting on this blog, any authorities that might question your values and integrity already have an opinion of you. LOL So don’t even be bring’in up Columbia now!

177. I’d go the classic route with “kale” in the center of a bad-ass heart… Cupid’s arrow and all… in henna so I could change my center and show my love for all the beautiful veggies and fruits out there!

I Love the idea of scribing “raw” on my wrist or ankle…

178. nina says:

Maybe “raw” on one ankle and “vegan” on the other, in Henna – IF I were to do such a thing.

179. Susan says:

I like growing sprouts and eating wild green. Perhaps wild greens growing up my legs and sprouts on my wrists.

180. Julie says:

I would put this quote
    “Let food be thy medicine and medicine be thy food”
    ? Hippocrates
    of course it would have to be done is some great font.

181. Dani says:

NONE – only because I am a coward and it would be healthier for me to stay away from needles. 🙂

182. Eatmyplant says:

Bowl of colourful fruits on one arm and vegetables on the other .. 🙂

183. Dawn says:

My husband said he’d get a biohazard sign as a symbol of his health -insert eye roll and giggle here-
    I would get a caduceus made of a branch with flowering vines instead of snakes and leaves in place of eagle wings.

184. Fun post! And silly to think any other of it!

Healthy hey? Hmm.. I have no clue. On the top of my head I would say something relating to tea since I’m a teaholic.

I seriously can not think of a single thing…

Maybe a young coconut with a rainbow coming out of it 😉

185. Kristi says:

I’d get an apple with a friendly smiling face on it.

186. Anthony says:

I would get my logo for the Natural Training Center. com but instead of the little barefoot guy I have I would put Annmarie there! Beautiful and Healthy!

With all due respect Kev.

187. Amber says:

I would never get a real tattoo of anything in reality.

I understand this is an imagination exercise, so I would go for a 100% natural rusty-coloured henna dye. I would get my hands tattooed, but instead of the traditional swirly designs, I would go for thyme and rosemary stretching across my hands and palms and wrapping around my fingers! 😀

188. […] I found the tattoo of the juicer that caused some lively […]

189. Barbara says:

A healthy pink colon in a heart-shape wrapped around lots of colourful fruit and veg …
    or the words, “If found unconcious, feed fresh juice.”

190. Astrid says:

I would never get a real tattoo of anything in reality. But in fantasy I’ll take a tattoo of a pomegranate, cut in two pieces.

191. Ashley says:

I would have an array of seaweed swaying with the waves.

I gave this some thought just to reply, but I actually LOVE this idea now! Oh, how fun!

192. Mona says:

Heres a few I just came up with:

Maybe a tattoo on my thigh of like a Cron-O-Meter spreadsheet with a list of all my favourite raw foods, having all the optimal target amounts of nutrients met! 😀

Or if I wanted to go all hardcore, I could do ‘RAW IS RAD!’ on my neck (or forehead ;))! heheheheee

Or I could go the ‘sacred heath’ way and get the Gayatri Mantra tattooed in sanskrit on my chest with holy basil leaves framing it, with full psychedelic colour extravaganza!

Or I could do ‘funny’ and tattoo a shopping list on the back of my hand (I often write little notes for myself on the back of my hand) and it could read like: 1 case of mangoes, kale, spinach, bananas, coconut, pollen, supergreens, wheatgrass, apples, and then it could have one extra empty space so I could add one extra thing with a pen if required! What a brilliant AND efficient idea! I would never have to write another shopping list again! 😀

193. deb says:

I’ve wanted to have a sunrise / sunset on my wrist … now it could have fruits & veggies in a rainbow of colors exploding upwards into the heavens and on my other wrist a bunch of deep dark cherries oozing juice to remind me to keep my blood cells strong and healthy