How Do Coffee Enemas Work for Detoxification : Special Healing Cancer Week

Friday Mar 30 | BY |

This is the last installment of Renegade Health’s Natural Cancer Awareness Week!

In this audio episode, you’ll hear cancer advocate and teacher Charlotte Gerson explain how coffee enemas work for detoxification.

This audio is part of the Healing Cancer World Summit Archives, which is available for only a few more days. You can access this here if you want the complete program of over 16 hours of great information from the world’s leading natural cancer doctors.

Click here to read more about this package and purchase now!

Now on to the interview…

Your question of the day: Have you ever done a coffee enema?

Here’s the transcript of this interview…

KEVIN: A few years ago we were talking and you explained to me how the coffee enema works and how it detoxifies the liver. Can you explain that again for everyone?

CHARLOTTE: Yes. The interesting thing that goes all the way back to World War I, at that time Germany was surrounded by the Allies and it was very difficult to get some of the tropical materials. Some of the things that we needed and yet all the time there were soldier being shot and having wounds and having to be attended by doctors and they needed painkillers and it was very difficult to get even a little bit so that during surgeries, the doctor had something to give the soldiers but when they got past the surgery and woke up in pain, there was nothing left. It had to go for the next patients and sometimes, the doctors even ordered water enemas but the nurses who were taking care of these young boys who were injured and had to have surgery and were in pain, they didn’t know what to do for them but there was always coffee available for the doctors because they often had to work 18 hours, 24 hours, 28 and 30 or more hours and they were kept awake by coffee but occasionally there was coffee leftover and the nurses thought “Well, the coffee is doing the doctors good, maybe it will help the patients.” So they poured some coffee into the enema buckets and the patients reported that it helped relieve their pain. Now that came to the ears of two doctors, researchers at the university in Germany of getting in and they researched what really would happen, they researched that on animals and they put caffeine into the rectum of animals and were amazed to find that this caffeine was absorbed through the portal system to the bile, the liver bile ducts and it opened them up, it released them and helped to release the accumulated poison from the liver, which relieves pain. And that’s what Dr. Gerson knew. Now in the meantime, this has been further researched. There was a doctor specially came here from Austria who researched it further and he found that there were other things in coffee, that helped to activate the livers defenses and not only open the bile duct so the liver could release accumulated poisons, they were able to show that the coffee enemas helped not only to move bowl and that was good and important but not nearly enough. The point was always to allow the liver to release toxic accumulations and further more, when the body now becomes capable to break down malignant tissue with all the fresh living enzymes from the food and the juices and the nutrients and the pancreatic enzymes and so on, then there is new and additional toxic stuff flowing into the bloodstream from the broken down dead malignant tissues. All of that has to be eliminated and that’s where the coffee enemas are so tremendously powerful and active in relieving pain and helping the liver restore and rebuild and heal. And even liver itself at many cases, for instance colon cancers often spread to the liver and we have a story of a very important professional of medicine in Japan by the name of Professor Hoshino and he one day wrote me a letter, one day, 1992 was unable to pass his bowl. So of course he had himself examined and he it turned out that he had colon cancer and the cancer had blocked his colon, it was closed. So naturally he had to have surgery to remove that portion of his colon. While they had him open, they also examined and biopsied his liver and sure enough it was full of cancer too. And therefore he had the biopsy of tumor tissue from his liver plus his colon. So this was a professor of medicine at Fukushima University and he was quite aware that chemo doesn’t work, he knew that especially in the metastasis to the liver but he found Dr. Gerson’s book, which in the meantime had been translated into Japanese and he put himself on the Gerson Therapy in 1992. Well, he’s not only alive to date, his live is cleaned, he’s totally recovered, he’s working, he’s active and he is healing other patients, he is very happy with his results and he has also inspired some other professors and doctors in Japan who are using the Gerson therapy also with excellent results. So that’s where the documentation is now complete of the coffee enemas and of course they have been used here in the Mexican Gerson Clinics for ever 35 years with extremely valuable results with thousand of recovered patients. And also Dr. Gerson’s book as well as some of my books have been translated into many languages and distributed worldwide.

KEVIN: You know juicing is a very important part of the Gerson Therapy. Do you think it’s one of the most important or does everything need to be kind of put all together?

CHARLOTTE: I like your approach, you’re right. Yes, juice is tremendously important but by themselves, it will not cure anything, it takes everything together. The Gerson Therapy approaches all the body systems and restores and rebuilds all the body systems and you can’t do it without a very high level of nutrition. Now when we see virtually exclusively terminally ill cancer patients, they can’t eat a lot, they don’t have appetite. They have nausea from their illness and pain and from the painkillers, they are blocked you know morphine and Codeine also cause constipation so they can’t handle much food but we have to get the nutrients into them the best way and the only way at that point is by juices. Actually these patients get a freshly pressed eight ounce glass of juice made from carrots and apples or just carrots and in some cases so called green juice made from salad type greens, it’s exactly described in the books and I can’t give you all the details, its 400 pages in the books. It’s all exactly pointed out what goes and what belongs into these juices so they get fresh glass of juice every hour, which means they get 13, 8 ounce glasses of juice which they can drink. They can’t eat much but they can drink and in other words, 13 glasses of juice also leave with them with good appetite and with all the intake, also some extra fresh fruits, they take roughly, they take in as much as 20 pounds of fresh food, much of it raw in the form of juices and salads and fresh fruit and some of it cooked in the from of a special soup that helps to cleans the kidneys. Now we zero in on the liver which is an extremely important organ and it’s the organ for healing but all the organs are important and the kidneys are also an excretion organ and that’s important. So the soup, the special soup that’s also outlined and according to inflammation, Hippocrates already used many of the herbs and combinations of the special soup in his day. Of course, nowadays the soup also contains potatoes and tomatoes which were not available to Hippocrates at that time but at any rate, these are the foods are plenty fully supplied even to patients who have little or no appetite and they get about 20 pounds worth of fresh food a day and that’s part of the reason for healing. Rebuilding the body system, rebuilding the essential organs

Click here to read more about this package and purchase now!

1. May says:

Thank you once more for this piece of information….and Kevin and Anne Marie congratulations on your baby!!! You two will be awesome parents. 🙂 Lots of love <3<3<3

2. Thank you for the information! For those of us who don’t have cancer, do you know if adding organic green coffee bean extract is helpful in detoxifying? I was thinking about adding it to my green smoothies.

3. Edna says:

I knew about coffee enemas but didn’t understand how they worked. My Doctor wants his patients to do them at least once a week.

Thanks I can appreciate them more now that I understand how they work.

4. Adrienne Baksa says:

Your question of the day: Have you ever done a coffee enema?
    Many, many times.

5. Velda says:

Coincidence that you are playing this interview today. Several years ago I developed a lipoma. In the last 6 years, I have been doing whole-body cleansing and during that time a couple more lipomas developed. After research, I determined that it was because my liver is not able to handle the cleansing I am doing. (my docotor did not know why they develop) I started about 2 or 3 weeks ago doing 1 to 2 coffee enemas per day. Last week, I passed some small styofoam-type balls, that I figured is the liver releasing some of it’s toxins. Also, when I have a regular bowel movement between enemas, they are a dark green, which indicates that my body is carrying out the toxins in my body. The lipomas have not disappeared, but one seems to be a little different, and I hope that they will one day be gone, but it takes time. I’m still working on it.

One needs to make sure they are keeping up on minerals and nutrition when doing coffee enemas. I have taken magnesium for quite some time, and know that when I take too much I can have a rumbling stomach and loose movements. However, I have not had that issue since doing the coffee enemas.

There is a definite protocol to fixing the coffee, and the kind of coffee and water you use. You can probably get that from the internet, or from the book “Healing The Gerson Way” by Charlotte Gerson.

She is such a delightful, caring lady. Thank you for sharing this interview again.

6. Corry says:

I have cancer and am undergoing chemo (halfway) but have never been able to give myself an enema (trust me, I’ve tried) nor have they been very successful in hospital. Is there some other way that works almost as well?

7. I have tumors/colon/cervix cancer and Dr. says no to enimas and my herbalist which has been helping people for years with cancer.
    I think it is important to check everything out and listen to your body if this or anything would be right for you.Everybody is different and not all things work for everybody.

8. Veronica says:

No, I have never had a coffee enema, but after watching this, I am thinking maybe this would be good. Do I need this if I am very healthy, eatig/juicing well, and have 3-4 regular bowl movements a day?

9. hyesun says:

yes, i’ve done many also, but i usually get really gassy afterwards. has anyone else had this experience?

oh, and HUGE congrats to kevin and ann marie!! yay! that’s so awesome!!!! 🙂

10. zyxomma says:

No, I haven’t. Fortunately, I’ve been able to keep myself vibrantly healthy without resorting to coffee enemas. I’ve done plenty of colonics, but haven’t had an enema since my mother gave me one as a child. An enema is quite uncomfortable, and to quote the naturopath with whom I trained, “An enema is like washing your face. A colonic is like taking a bath and rinsing off in the shower.”

11. Michelle says:

GREAT interview! Thank you Velda for mentioning the specifics as far as the coffee you use and the water used!
    I’ve never tried an enema, and have always stuck with colonics done by a professional, BUT a property in coffee, that helps to activate the livers defenses and open up the bile duct so the liver could release accumulated poisons…very interesting, I’ll be purchasing the book for sure! Please be sure to research the coffee you use, AND use pure water.

Did you say you were looking for a boys name?? How about
    Preston…cute yet “strong” 🙂

12. Claire says:

Yes lots ….daily at the moment. I love them, find them not only very relaxing and use them as a time of meditation, but find my moods seem to get a thorough cleanse as well. I dont find them uncomfortable.

People seem to forget they are not about cleansing the colon they are about detoxing the liver. Have a colonic if you want to cleanse the colon but a coffee enema if you want to detox the liver. My understanding is getting coffee to the liver through the haemorrhoid veins creates a totally different outcome to that of drinking coffee – even green bean extract in green smoothies!

There’s lots of good info in the library of this gerson coffee supplier http://www.sawilsons.com

13. Tina says:

Kevin, I found some information regarding coffee enemas that was unsettling. The use of ground coffee enemas, can cause colitis (inflammation of the bowel), fluid and electrolyte imbalances, and in some cases septicaemia. The U.S. FDA has warned against this regime, which is known to have caused at least three deaths. Shouldn’t this be noted as possibly happening if you use a coffee enema especially for people that already are at risk? I have reactions to what it seems like everything and always do research on any type treatments whether it be pharmaceutical or natural. What is your take or opinion on this?

14. Lori says:

Yes, I do a coffee enema after every colonic. I usually do it the next morning as it gives me lots of energy, too much to sleep well. I use organic coffee beans, ground fresh with purified water to make the coffee. I find it relaxing and it is not uncomfortable.

15. Dr. Thomas Janossy says:

The ‘scientific’ reasoning for a coffee enema is outdated (in the interview and in books). Maybe one of the problem is that the old Gerson protocol has never been changed while scientific knowledge is constantly accumulated and our understanding is refined.

Fist of all, coffee enema (the palmitic acid in caffeine) increases the activity of glutathione S-transferase (GST) by
    600% in the liver and a 700% increase in detoxification in the small intestine.

GST(glutathione S-transferase) makes excess free radicals water soluble for easy
    elimination from the cells and the body and blocks and detoxifies carcinogens.
    GST, binds bilirubin and its glucuronides so that they can be eliminated from the
    hepatocytes (liver cells).

However, coffee enema doesn’t elevate the glutathione level in the blood, according to a very recent study (Hum Exp Toxicol. 2012 Jan 16., Antioxidant effects after coffee enema or oral coffee consumption in healthy Thai male volunteers., Teekachunhatean et.al.)

The coffee enema is not ‘opening up’ the bile duct. The increased amount of bile simply the result of the elevated excretion of toxins.

I believe that the coffee enema is an outdated way to elevate the liver’s glutathione level. There are better, – more effective and less cumbersome, ways to do it.

All the best

16. HawaiiAna says:

Wow! I just found out you’re pregnant and having a boy! Wow! Congratulations! My husband and I too. We are so happy for both of you. Can’t wait to see more discussions on baby and mommy health, which I’m sure will arise.

As far as your question, no, never done it, but now interested enough to learn more. Thanks for interesting info, as always.

P.S couple of typos in the text : tropical (should be topical) and live (should be liver). Not a big deal, though. People will understand.

Love to you both.

17. Cici Cummins says:

Yes, quite frequently over the years.

18. Sherri says:

I’ve done a coffee enema daily for a few months now. They are also great for cleansing the blood….sorta like dialysis with the liver, every five minutes the blood circulates through the liver. Gerson recommends retaining for 12-15 min, so 2-3 cleanses of the blood per enema. Mental clarity, sense of well being, as well as removing toxins, so many reasons to incorporate them as part of our health program.

19. ken says:

nope never done this ..but I am very sensative to coffe and become manic paranod so I think i will have to skip this one..but it sounds great for you .

20. Rick says:

Did the Gerson Therapy for a very aggressive prostate cancer and indeed it works. I do enjoy the coffee enemas – they relieve pain, they are relaxing, and they clean out the organ that purifies your blood.

21. Jessica says:

Have done many coffee enemas..Have the routine down so I could almost do it in my sleep!
    I too just found out that you are having a baby…That is so exciting..Have been following your blog for a few years and have been wondering when you would start a family. Congratulations you are going to be amazing parents!!

22. Chris says:

Am currently lying on right side reading having just given myself a ” back to back” coffee enema- last one is with probiotics. Really useful at cleansing liver as well as colon and much recommended! At moment am doing one twice/day but will go back to 1/day with 5 days off after a week – Gonzalez style. Great work and super news about your Baby!

23. George says:

Thank you very much for this interview and best wishes to Charlotte Gerson.
    It came exactly when I am planning a detox.

quote Now that came to the ears of two doctors, researchers at the university in Germany of getting in unquote
    – “getting in” is probably Goetingen?

Keep up the good work and congratulations for the coming baby!
    George

24. Laurie P says:

Yes, many times for coffee enemas. And the only coffee I would ever use is the coffee from http://www.sawilsons.com/ as Claire mentioned in her post. I use to buy organic from the store but every time I would have major uncomfortable gassines.
    I am interested if the coffee also targets the kidneys as well because I always have to pee lots after an enema.
    I would like to congratulate Kevin & AnnMarie as well on the up and coming birth of your baby.

25. A couple of times but once there was such residual rumbling and pain that I haven’t since.

26. Ren says:

Check out SA Wilson’s brand of coffee – especially made for enemas.

27. Cadie says:

“Have you ever done a coffee enema”?

Yes, the joke with my 6 year old is that “Mommy takes her coffee break in the bathroom”. I have a stainless steel enema pot that I call my coffee cup.

I was afraid to do the first one, but now I look forward to the daily routine…Mommy time alone…on the bathroom floor.

Thank you Kevin, for all of your hard work and this amazing website.
    Cadie

28. Amila Kassaby says:

Is it possible to flush the liver from eating? it feels rather un natural to be inserting things from down under such as coffee? Surely our ancestors didnt do such things?

How about foods that detox the liver or specifically vegetables and fruit powders made for the liver?

I would love to ensure i have a healthy liver also but an enema scares me 🙁

29. Tammy says:

I’ve done them periodically for about 5 years now and always feel better when I do them regularly. Recently, I had a headache for a few days and did an enema and the headache was gone by the time I was done!

My husband suffers from seasonal allergies and always does so much better through the pollen season if he does enemas.

As for the comment by Dr. Thomas Janossy:

I see the title Dr. and the use of medical lingo and the “facts” quoted to support his claim against enemas that sound authoritative but then he makes me quite suspect to his motives right at the end when he says:

“We’re testing our brand new approach that is not available yet anywhere. (I can share with you our discovery in about a month as it will be a part of our ‘never before’ detox program).”

He seems to have used this platform to promote his “brand new” “never before” detox program. Hmmmm. I wonder how much he will be charging for this “approach” (what exactly does that mean?). Coffee enemas are extremely inexpensive and affordable to anyone, they do not require a doctors office (or the cost associated with that visit) and can be done in the comfort and privacy of your own home at your own convenience. And they are known to get results. Just because they have been around for a long time does not mean they are outdated. I’m not convinced I need the latest and greatest. I know what works for me.

30. Julia says:

My sister is fighting stage 4 ovarian cancer right now. She tried the coffee enemas and said it made her sick, she couldn’t tolerate them.

She had been on a 100% raw food diet for 3 months right before she got cancer, so now when I am encouraging to eat more raw foods she is very skeptical, although she was doing mostly dehydrated stuff with little nutrition. Right now she is too weak anyway to eat raw foods, she has to have cooked foods for a while to help digestion. She’s done some IPT treatments and now is on DMSO, cesium and potassium, and something else. I also discovered an oral vitamin C that is said to be more powerful than IV vitamin C treatments because it’s bound to a lipid and it’s nano so it can enter the cells better, and it’s way cheaper than IV vitamin C.

Kevin, what do you think about camel milk (raw, of course), for cancer patients? It’s been used medicinally for thousands of years, it’s now being used to treat autism, diabetes and a number of many other diseases, including cancer. I got some raw camel milk for my sister, but told her to just take a very little bit each day medicinally (and I made it into yogurt for her, too). I am taking it, too, actually, to help me heal my gut. I make it into yogurt.

31. Angela says:

I’ve been doing coffee enemas on and off for about 2 years now. I would say that they have absolutely played a key role in my detoxification and healing process!

32. Brynda says:

Julia, I’m sorry your sister is going thru stage IV cancer. My understanding about vitamin c is that the i.v. C treatments actually have an oxidizing effect and act much the same way as chemo does in that it kills lots of cells with free radical damage. I would expect that her sickness from the enemas was because she is detoxing so heavily. It’s the Hercshiemer’s (sp??) effect. Her liver will better be able to detoxify and heal if it is not overwhelmed by having to manufacture enzymes in order to aid digestion of cooked, enzymeless, foods. One word!! Polysaccharides from gums, gels and mucins! Fucose, sialic acid, manose, research these polysaccharide sugars that are missing from today’s diet. Algaes,Medicinal mushrooms, aloe vera, adaptogenic herbs are all high in them. Pray and trust God.

33. Julia says:

Brynda,

Kevin,

Another question: In my research to help my sister I came across a site (www.cancertutor.com) that says only 25-30% of the cancer patients’ diet should be from greens because they’re so high in vitamin K which can promote blood clotting. I don’t know if you address this in this cancer world summit program but I was just curious about it. Thanks for any info…

34. I have been on full Gerson program for a year. I really enjoy 3-5 enemas a day. It is good relaxing moments for me!

35. bryan says:

I do a double “coffee break” ending with a wheat grass/probiotic insert weekly in conjunction with my fasting day. I usually feel calm and energized like when getting enough B12.

If one has cancer or a friend or family member, get the Gerson Book before trying to half way do this detox system. If you don’t, it is like taking 5 days of a 10 day series of antibiotics because you started feeling better and decided to stop. Dealing with cancer is a MEDICAL decision as in something serious has to be fixed pronto. It is not a NUTRITIONAL decision like my Vit. D count is really low but I feel pretty good.

Dr. Janossy… I can’t wait to see all the studies on your method, but in the meantime I would take my chances with a program that has been very successful over decades treating folks that “modern” medicine had given up on. I hope your program is as successful or more so than the Gerson method as indicated with other posts above on squeamishness involving enemas, people are willing to spend much more money on orally administered protocols….. How much more is the question.

36. KAVITA says:

Can coffee enemas be given to patients of ulcerative colitis?

37. sue says:

I’ve been doing coffee enemas everyday now for about 5 yrs. 3 yrs ago I was doing the Gerson Therapy and had my 4 cup coffee concentrate sitting on the counter and somehow thought it was my enema with 1 cup concentrate and 3 cups water. Yes, I did. Please, please, please don’t make that dumb mistake I did. It was a nitemare.
    I recovered, LOL, but I would like to go back on the therapy again. I don’t think doing one or two juices and smoothies and adding the coffee enemas everyday is enough. I want to feel total healing again. It was wonderful.
    By the way, we call the coffee enemas, (PARTY BUCKETS).
    and also, make sure your hose is connected properly. I walked thru the house and up the steps before I realized my bucket was getting lighter. LOL

38. CORRY!
    IF YOU CAN GET THIS MSG, I WILL BE HAPPY.
    SELF ENEMA IS JUST NOTHING….IT IS EASY.
    TO SAVE ONES LIFE ONE SHOULD DO IT. THANK GOD YOU VISITED THIS PAGE. BY GOD’S GRACE.

39. Linda says:

A friend told me about coffee enemas for pain and that they would help my migraines. I started doing the enemas daily.

It took several times to get it down and learn a few things the hard way, but now it is routine and I look forward to my daily “cleanse” (as I call it). I feel amazing afterward–sort of a euphoric feeling.

I am so thankful I discovered this liver detox. I had been told by my doctor I had a fatty liver several years ago. When I read about it I was shocked to read a fatty liver is a “diseased” liver. I read that you can reverse a fatty liver through your diet. That was when I cut out dairy products and ate pretty much just whole, organic nuts, seeds, grains, vegetables and fruits. I read that once you reverse a fatty liver the weight would just begin to fall off, as the liver will begin to process the fats more readily.

After a couple years of this diet I hadn’t lost any weight, but I kept learning more and more about healthy eating, why organic, and knew each thing I was changing and doing for my health was good and on the right path.

After awhile of doing my daily cleanses (enemas) the weight did begin to just fall off. That was a perk of the cleanses–not only have the cleanses helped me have a healthier liver, but I’ve lost about 35 pounds and am feeling better and healthier day by day.

Again, I’m so thankful I discovered coffee enemas.

40. Daina says:

Hi,
    A couple of years ago I order a book-Healing Colon, Liver and Pancreas the Gerson Way.I read it couple of times and find out about coffee enemas.I never did coffee enema for myself before and put this book away till this October.On October 18-th after couple of test my doctor told me that I have a fatty liver.I was so scarry about this news and decided to do somethig good for my body.Firt I pull out from my kitchen cabinet my electric steemer, then I fill my fridge with fruits and vegies.I started eating every two hours.I also started to write down in my book everything I’m putting in my plate.My breakfast-5 tsp. of plain yougurt and cup of frozen bluberies or other beries two hours later-snack-app;e or orange, or other fruit with less sugar, then comes my lunch time-chicken or fish cooked in my steemer.I totally take out bread, fat, sugar, rice, spagetti from my daily food .I started to make my own sauerkraut, and cook red beets.I read that sauerkraut has 10 different probiotics., and red beets clean your liver ,also read again Gerson’s book and started my coffee enemas.Firt week I did my enemas every day ,two enamas in the morning.I started feel very good.My mood was very stable through the day.I started to loose lbs every week.In three months I lost total of 29.5 lbs, I started to feel so good. My doctor did second blood test on my liver and my cholesterol and told me that my bad cholesterol go down and good -went up, my thryglicerides go down-315 points.She also asked me what I did, that my blood test so good.I told her about my food choise, about my coffee enemas and also about my Zumba that I started three months ago.I’m still doing my coffee enemas -first week every day, secon week- three times, third week- two times.And them one week stop.Then again one week-every day.I get rid of my liver stones, and other black thing going out after my coffee enemas ,noticed that my lbs going down so fast now, and to loose them takes so little and so easy.I feel so good, I don’t feel for a long time.My seasonal alergies go away, my arthritis is go away.My skin looks good too.I’m so happier and so calm this days.Trully recomend coffee enemas for everyone.Please try it –you going to feel so good!!!!
    Good bless,Daina