A Few Reasons You Have to Do Something About This — GMO Labeling A “Must Pass” in California (Here’s What You Can Do to Help): Renegade Health Call to Action!

Friday Mar 23 | BY |

gmo-labeling-law-california
The only good genetically modified foods do is make money for bio-tech companies. (Peruvian beans, untouched by industry for 1000’s of years.)

NOTE: This is important if you’re in California or not, so please read on…

As you know, we at Renegade Health are just one of the long list of supporters who favor the labeling of GMO foods.

Why?

Simply because I want to know where my food is coming from and want to make choices based on that knowledge.

I want to know that my lettuce comes from a farm around the corner just as much as I want to know if the xantham gum in one of my supplements is derived from GMO or non-GMO corn.

I’m pretty sure you do too.

I would fight for a farm sourcing label law too if that were possible. A law that would require all food producers to say where their food was grown and when it was picked.

But, maybe I’m a little freakish. Maybe I’m not, because I’ve met thousands of people just like me (and 100’s of thousands online) who want the same thing.

About half a year ago, Pamm Larry got the crazy idea to push for a GMO labeling law in California. Lucky for her, and us too, she wasn’t the only one interested.

In fact, as I write this today, signatures are being collected to put this labeling law on the California ballot in November 2012.

This is good news.

What’s not, is that time is running out.

Here’s a note from Pamm that was sent out a few days ago…

Hello Friends,

I wanted to write a personal note to all of you out there who care about the California GMO Labeling Initiative.

Thanks to those who have helped this effort already…you’ve done an amazing job! We have been gathering signatures for a few weeks now, are on track and can get this done, but we need all of you.

Like any grassroots effort, we need thousands more of us out there. I’m not kidding when I say that every one of us is needed to battle this huge Goliath. And, folks…they have already started with their misinformation against this campaign.

They are mobilizing and getting out there in opposition.

We have what many are calling the BEST opportunity to get GMO labeling passed here in California! The forces that don’t want us to know the truth of what’s in our food cannot beat us if we unite as one and work together to make this initiative pass. Together we will make this happen.

PLEASE…if you’ve not yet gathered any signatures to ensure your right to know: contact me directly at www.labelgmos.org

Please include in the subject THE NAME OF YOUR CITY IN CALIFORNIA so I can get you in touch with your local leader who will pair you with someone who is trained to get you going.

I’ve personally gotten almost 1000 signatures already. I tell you that because I don’t ask anything of anyone that I am not willing to do.

EVERY volunteer signature helps.

We are done April 22. We have six more weeks to gather signatures. Please join us because it’s through our united effort that we will get this on the ballot now and won in November.

Thanks!
Pamm Larry

So basically, we need your help (if you’re in California or in Kazakhstan!)

Here’s why…

1. GMO foods are untested.

I’m not going to rehash everything from Jeffrey Smith’s two books, “Seeds of Deception” and “Genetic Roulette,” but based on the evidence and science (yes, nay-sayers, science) GMO crops are not — maybe never will be — ready to be released to the public.

There are too many intangibles. Let’s keep nature as it is.

2. Hybrid foods are not the same as GMO.

Don’t let anyone try to convince you that hybridizing is the same as genetically engineering food.

They’re completely in the dark.

Using a gene gun and shooting bacteria DNA into plant DNA to get it to accept it as new genetic material is not the same as selectively hybridizing bananas to be sweeter or bigger.

Yes, people have been hybridizing foods for 10,000 plus years. They have been playing Starwars with DNA in white lab for less than a few decades.

3. GMO Foods will not save the world.

Unfortunately, this is a myth. Getting fresh water and supplements to areas where people are malnourished will save the world. Not investing billions of dollars into genetic engineering processes and research.

Water and supplements are much cheaper and any technology that is needed is already invented — no R&D needed. It’s just a matter of priorities.

4. We need your assistance to be informed when the nay-sayers start nay-saying.

The problem with the nay-sayers is that either they are just the nay-sayers and have no idea about GMO foods or they are bio-tech supporters who have an obvious bias.

I’d guarantee that anyone against the labeling of GMO foods has never read “Seeds of Deception” by Jeffrey Smith. If they did, I think their conscience would at least make them think twice about what bio-tech companies are trying to release to the public. (Unless they don’t have a conscience…)

We need you to write on Facebook, we need you to write on blogs, we need you to talk to friends about it — anything that will raise awareness of this campaign is good to help create enough clamor to drown out those who are in opposition.

5. There’s no reason for GMO foods besides profit for big food companies.

If GMOs can’t save the world, then there’s no reason for them. Food is grown and wasted every day. The amount of corn surplus has made us find multiple — and unnecessary — uses for it.

Our food system doesn’t need bio-tech to create different food, it just needs smarter use of our existing resources — which unfortunately don’t make food corporations any more money.

There are dozens of other reasons — many outline in Jeffrey Smith’s books — but ultimately regardless of your personal reason, we need you to take action in one way or another.

Here’s what to do if you’re not in California…

Go to www.LabelGMOs.org and sign up for the newsletter so you can stay up to date on what’s happening. This is super important for you, no matter where you are.

Why?

Because if there is not enough votes to pass this in California, it means GMO foods will continue to take over your supermarket shelves.

Second, you can donate.

We’ve been able to raise about $30,000 (for state and local efforts) for the campaign through or own donations, my personal network of friends and colleagues.

Money is needed, to (1) help collect signatures and (2) fight the industry backlash once this is put on the ballot. There will be ugly, untruthful commercials aired all throughout the state of California as we get closer to November.

There needs to be a significant amount of money raised in order to counter these commercials with pro-campaign commercials as well.

To donate, please go to this page:

$5, $10, $1000, or whatever you can do works. Every penny changes the future for our next generation.

Here’s what to do if you are in California…

Go to www.LabelGMOs.org and sign up for the newsletter. Then contact Pamm Larry to find your local volunteer group and see how you can assist.

If you like, please donate also! Like I said, $5, $10, $1000. Whatever you can do will help.

Thanks so much for caring about this important topic, I hope you realize how pressing this is and why action now is so important.

Your Question of the Day: What can you do to help?

1. Ann says:

Sounds like I can only be of help if I live in California. Am I mistaken?

2. Ed says:

Hi,California is so key to national labeling that I gave twice already. It’s Pay Pal easy.

3. Ed says:

and that was all the way from Florida

4. I really do Not think labeling gmo’s will do any good. I think that most people have No idea what gmo’s are, and are so addicted to processed foods that they really don’t even care. I have mentioned my concerns about gmo’s to friends and people I meet at the gym or farmers markets, and none seem to care at all. I think what is really needed is more education to the public. Most people don’t even read the labels on their processed foods anyway, and if they did, they would have No idea what gmo’s are or why they are bad. Now, if the label were to say something like “this processed food item contains very controversial genetically modified soy and corn. Many scientists believe these products cause stomach cancer, sterility and rapid aging” I would be inclined to be in favor of that label… I just watched 2 films recently, “the future of food” and “the world according to monsanto” and learned that, even Organic soy or corn, may not even really be Organic. According to these films, gmo soy, corn or canola seeds can Travel, either by the wind or thru birds, land on an Organic soy, corn or canola farm, take root and grow. The Organic farmer would have No idea that GMO plants are growing in what was previously an Organic soy, corn or canola farm. According to these films i recently watched, this type of cross pollination of gmo seeds and plants growing in organic farms is now happening all too easily and more and more often. It seems clear to me that ALL processed foods contain gmo’s. People really more unbiased information and education on this subject. As for me, I just stay away from anything processed and feel pretty good Hallilujah

5. Terri says:

Thank you, Kev. I consider this one of the most important things we can do for our health and the health of our planet. Labeling is an important first start, but it’s only a start. We can be pretty secure in knowing organic produce is GMO free, but these seeds are prolific. There is no invisible border around organic fields to protect them, so eventually, if this is not stopped, these seeds will infect the entire food supply.

6. Ian Dixon says:

Over here in Europe, we already have fairly strict rules on labeling food that is GM. The initiative in California when it is put to the vote is going to put pressure on all other states to follow suit.
    If I see a label on food that says it is GM then I choose not to but it nor anything close by that may be contaminated by it. Others may choose differently but those are my views.
    I wish the people working to get this on the ballot in California every success and they can be sure that I will do anything that I can to ensure that the supermarkets must label GM food is labelled for what it is

7. Cindy Yacob says:

I think the best way to help if you are in California is to volunteer to collect signatures. I did it twice for a couple of hours in front of Whole Foods and Good Earth- not hard at all. Most people were happy to sign.

The website is labelgmos.org. Volunteers still needed.

8. Steph/Cliff says:

I am glad that in ‘Old Blighty’ Prince Charles is against GM . I do hope in California they get what should be a human right to know, all who believe in this right should do there utmost best to stand and be counted. I am happy to play a part. It’s a must label GM foods.

9. Shelley says:

10. Verna says:

Hi all, I am in Canada & where do my fruit & vegetables come from but California. Many of them anyway. I do not want GMO anything on my table, but it seems to be that the peoples of the world have little say over their food. Let’s keep up the pressure to prevent GMO’s in our food no matter where we are in the world.

11. star says:

Well big gmo is setting up office in NC I hear http://articles.mercola.com/sites/articles/archive/2012/03/20/germany-rejects-gmo-food.aspx?e_cid=20120320_DNL_art_1 since Germany is kicking them to the curb .

12. Dianne says:

I’ve passed this onto friends. Thanks Kevin!

13. Kuru says:

California produces so much of the produce for the country, we all need to contribute to this. Thanks for the goose, Kevin.

14. Linda says:

Though we’ve never met, I’m so proud of Pamm Larry. It’s amazing the movement she started.

Whatever happens in your state with the GMO labeling issue will affect all of us across the country. Good luck California!

15. June says:

Hi
    We have the same problem with GMOs here in Australia. My response is to vote with my feet and not buy any of that crap. It’s not really easy but can be achieved. I refuse to buy any grain, soy, canola, or any of the produce I read about that has been genetically modified. If the public won’t buy it, then there’s no point in producing it and the industry could tumble down. Apparently, there only needs to be a modest percentage of people NOT buying it to make producing the stuff unviable – not enough profit.
    I won’t use take out restaurants, buy packaged goods or store baked goods, including bread. It’s much better for your health anyway and not expensive, it just takes a little more time and a lot more planning.
    Good luck, anyway!!

16. Nan says:

Shelley asked: “Can anyone tell me the difference between this group and the ‘Just Label It.org’ folks? One and the same or two different causes?”

I’ve written the Just Label It campaign to ask them to clearly differentiate between their campaign and LabelGMOs.org in their emails/newsletters. The major difference:
    – Just Label It asks you to sign their online petition to the FDA, asking the FDA to require labeling of GMOs.
    – LabelGMOS.org is working to get an initiative on the California ballot in November 2012 so voters in that state can vote on whether they want mandatory labeling of GMOs. As has been said by many, the passage of this initiative into law will have major repercussions around the country as food producers will necessarily change their labeling to be in compliance with the law OR choose to no longer produce GMOs.

17. I’m trying to raise awareness about the threat GMO’s pose to our lives – and the environment in general- every day.

I have signed the requests to my Senators and Congressperson’s to require GMO labeling but do not have any monies to donate at this time.

I do, however; harp and harangue my friends,family and neighbors almost to the point of irritation (OK, so I may have overstepped a bit- but it’s important, Dammit!).

I think it’s worth it to help the few who still have the capacity to listen- even if the others (who are under the negative effects-thereby barring them from recognizing the difference) think I’m batty…

18. nina says:

Every petition for GMO labeling that has come across my email, I have signed, and will continue to do whenever they appear. This is Missouri speaking, here. Doesn’t matter to me where it is, I want to know whether or not it’s GMO. Every time I look at corn on the cob – which I use to love – there’s no label of any kind, so I pass it by. I want to know and I think we all need to know, don’t you?

19. Wendy Henning says:

It is important for all Americans to know about the products they purchase. PLEASE allow GMO labeling to take place. I am entitled to purchase product based on origin.

Thank you.

20. Eucliffe says:

Can we seek the assistance of the non GM group to agree to use a code patented for the
    group and work out a means to prevent the use of non members through special monitoring to prevent use by the GM group. Difficult but is it worth a try ?

21. Patrice says:

The CT General Assembly just got a GMO labeling bill out of committee with bipartisan support. We’re keeping an eye on it here. Interesting to see what effect this has. As CT is not a big agribusiness state as CA, I expect it to pass and be signed by the governor but wonder if it will get a Supreme Court challenge.

22. Laura says:

Thanks for a fantastic article Kevin. Massive resistance to GM foods in Germany recently caused a chemical giant to leave the country…People can make a difference!

23. Teresa says:

Thank you Kevin for posting the info about the California initiative! Also, thanks for the sale you had last week it helped a great deal.
    I signed up to volunteer the little time I have available to try to gather signatures. What I’ve learned is that most people have no idea what Genetically Engineered Foods are or that they’ve been eating them in most processed foods unless they are certifed organic. Also, now that we have rain in California I’m getting worried about trying to get signatures in the next month since the campaign ends April 22. I hope Kevin’s article inspires people to join in. I’m not an activist, just a concerned consumer and I’m not outgoing but I feel any signature I gather at least I’ll feel like I helped a little and didn’t wait for someone else to fix the problem since no one person is going to fix our food supply. Read “Seeds of Deception” and it will open your eyes that there is no help coming.

I’ve been sharing the link below of the Dr. Oz show (15 min) about GMO’s with my friends since everyone likes him and it provides a little info.

I hope more people help get the word out ASAP to all their contacts to find people in California to go out to sign the petition (look for volunteers at Farmers Markets and Whole Food stores). There are GMO campaigns that you can sign online but they are NOT the California initiative – it must be signed on a paper petition. This is our chance to get our food labeled so WE can decide what we’re eating, our government is not going to help us. Please help get the word out! If I sound worried it’s not just because of the rain but because my husband was just diagnosed with prostate cancer and now my focus in life has changed to learning about treatment since we need to act quickly.

We’ve been changing our eating habits over the last few years but with all that I’ve been reading lately we need to continue to improve our diets. Food is so important to our health. Something is going wrong with our country as our waistlines continue to grow out of control. I’m hoping the initiative gathers enough signatures to get on the Nov. Ballot and then people start educating others since the big money to stop labeling is going to come out with their big bucks. Please help educate people others now. Thank you!

24. […] came across this infographic this morning after publishing my GMO labeling article yesterday. […]

25. suz says:

People in Hungary destroyed all GM crops and kicked out Monsanto. Let’s make that our next step in this country.

26. I know this song as ‘The Yanks Are Coming’
    written by George M. Cohan during the first world war(WW 1.) You can Google it. It’s also known as ‘Over There.’ The song was also sung during the second world war(WW11.) When you think of it; what Big Pharma are doing to our food and seeds worldwide, not only with GMO’s but with the pesticides & fertilizers causing untold damage with the runoff into rivers, lakes, oceans & artesian aquifers. The toxic poisons changing all that is natural; Then This Is Definitely A World Wide War. Fought with stealth and more cunning than foxes. All for profit, now that’s Evil, This is Tyranny. The Yanks Are Coming Thru Another WW war, only this time it’s affecting all of our loved ones in their homes, in their kitchens, at their family meals…world wide.
    I am in Australia & it’s happening here too. Monsanto sends Bully-Boy lobbyists into our Parliament lobbying our senators to have no labels on GM foods saying “It would hold up production.” Such lies, Oh! What evil, evil skumbags. Now I truly ‘Hope’ all of you ‘Yanks’ —Go Get ‘Em.

This is one verse & the chorus of the Geo.M. Cohan’s song. I have changed a couple of words, use Google & listen to the song.

Over there,(Ca.) over there,(Ca.)
    Send the word, send the word over there (Ca.)
    That the Yanks are coming,
    The Yanks are coming,
    The drums rum-tumming….Ev’rywhere.
    So prepare, say a pray’r,
    Save our food, for the world that we share.
    We’ll be over, we’re coming over,
    And we won’t come back till it’s over
    Over there.(Ca.)

Johnnie, get your pen,
    Get your pen, get your pen,
    Take it on the run,
    On the run, on the run.
    Hear them calling, you and me,
    Every son of liberty.
    Hurry right away,
    No delay, go today,
    Make your daddy glad
    To have such a lad.
    Tell your neighbours not to pine,
    Be so proud we’re signing on the line.

(chorus)
    Over there,(Ca.) over there,(Ca.)
    Send the word, we’ll be heard over there,(Ca)
    That the Yanks are coming,
    The Yanks are coming,
    The drums rum-tumming….Ev’rywhere.
    So prepare, say a pray’r,
    Save our food for the world, that we share.
    We’ll be over, we’re coming over,
    And we won’t come back till it’s over
    Over there (Ca.)…..

Please sign our petition,
    GMO’s Must Be Labeled, Thankyou…..Dorothy

27. Zenon SIKORA says:

I want all foods to be labelled fully especially GMO foods

28. I support this issue. I am collecting signatures for the bill. Look for the petitioners at farmers markets and natural food stores. Sign up NOW.Our future food depends on it. I hope my friends in CT can get something going there too.Go Rosie and Daniel.

29. A lot of people don’t know that Mendocino County in California banned GMOs… very exciting! If they can do it, we can too! I know that it can be discouraging to see people not respond when they hear about GMOs, but some people will. My friend at work took literature about GMOs to all of our co-workers when she learned about them… very encouraging! Now, many people at work are transitioning to an organic diet to avoid GMOs. This is so important. Once people realize that their health and their children’s health is at stake, I think that they will respond. The focus on GMOs will make the organic movement thrive more than ever.

30. Ronn says:

I wish GMO labeling on so-called “natural” nutritional supplements would become mandatory.

I’ve been avoiding GMOs like the plague they are by buying only organic produce and products, only to find out that some of the supplements I’m taking contain them! For example, I’ve been using BioAstin Supreme (astaxanthin) made by Nutrex Hawaii. It’s one of their “blue label” products. The ingredients list among other things, “Non GMO modified corn starch” which led me to believe the product was entirely GMO-free, since they made a point of mentioning that. However, I recently read that only their RED label products are 100 percent GMO-free, so I emailed the company, asking about the “blue label” BioAstin Supreme. They replied that the sorbitol in the formula is GMO, and so is the soy oil the vitamin A is in in their other blue label products.

It’s getting more and more difficult to avoid GMOs, because they’re hidden in so very many things now. Very upsetting.

31. Jana says:

I support any initiative to label gmo’s. Since I do not live in California and don’t have $$ to donate to the cause there, the next best thing imo is to sign the petition at http://www.justlabelit.org. If I recall correctly, signatures are being collected until March 27, 2012, from anyone opposed to gmo salmon reaching our groceries without being labeled as such. The FDA will be obliged to review the comments collected. …that’s what they’re supposed to do anyway. Didn’t keep pink slime from reaching the shelves without labeling, but this is no time for complacency.

32. Ella. a Californian Voter says:

Charles Patterson (above), I share your frustration with relatives who don’t even want to listen! My sister, who has an MBA, proudly wrote that she’s happy with processed foods and she’ll read the one short paragraph I wrote “later.” My brother will not discuss topics like GMOs at all; he can’t be bothered. Folks like this discourage me and guarantee big profits for the likes of Monsanto and Dow. SO THANK YOU EVERYONE WHO COMMENTED HERE! You give me the courage to believe that I am not just some tiny voice in the wilderness. Together we can prevail! This is just too important. Fellow Californians, PLEASE VOTE!