Why Random Diseases Happen to Healthy People : Exclusive Article By Dr. J. E. Williams

Sunday Mar 11 | BY |

blood cells heart small
I bet visualizing this in your bloodstream might actually do some good…

Resident Medical Authority: J. E. Williams, OMD, FAAIM

To assure maximum robustness and ecological health, natural systems have a “fail early” system.

For hundreds of thousands of years, high infant and early childhood mortality was the norm for humans. Modern public health practices and advanced medical treatments have largely defeated childhood infectious disease in the industrialized countries. Sanitation, vaccines, and antibiotics worked. Most certainly, we’ve overdone it and created new health care challenges like antibiotic resistant bacteria, but unarguably, these methods have eliminated the necessity of the fail early system.

The problem is that it’s redirected into a “fail late” dilemma.

People are living longer, but chronic degenerative diseases among the elderly have crippled our healthcare system. Eighty-five percent of all healthcare dollars are spent on seniors in the last few years of life. We’ve created what Nassim Taleb calls “black swans,” where we are fooled not by our intelligence, but by the apparent randomness and complexity of nature.

Now, let’s get down to business. What does this have to do with me? It has every thing to do with your health. Here’s why…

When you change over from the disease producing modern Western diet to a plant-based, whole live fresh food — that means no packaged foods even if they are marketed as “organic” — with adequate calories from whole grains, enough biologically useful protein, and lots of fiber, you’ve taken the first leap to health. But it’s not enough. For one, we all grow old. And, in post-modern society we’re going to be subjected to stress, environmental pollutants, and a lifetime of accumulated low-grade infections. These factors, along with normal hormonal decline associated with aging, promote the “fail late” effect.

What can you do about it?

Identifying black swans is the next step in your health plan. Random effects happen in your body — for example, when your hormones go too low, or when your immune system acts up causing rheumatoid arthritis. Even if you’re eating a great fresh whole food diet, from time to time black swans will appear. For optimal health, to reduce the potential for random biological effects, you have to maintain and restore organ reserve and enhance organ and tissue regeneration.

There’s a lot of hype out there: body ecology this and that, extreme diets, mega supplements, but what I want to know is where are the super healthy people. Where are those who defy the norm, who beat the odds, who excel where it is considered impossible to do so. Those people have either lucked out, or know how to manage black swans.

The bottom line is that nature does it all: there is no healing unless it is in lock step synchronicity with what nature does best – regenerate.

“Random” diseases happen when the body isn’t given adequate time to regenerate.

Nature has ways to restore and regenerate ecosystems and organisms. Every one knows that worms grow back whole when broken in half and salamanders grow new tails. Did you know that your liver could completely regenerate itself when up to two thirds of it has been surgically removed? It can. Our skin does it every day, and so do other body parts, so why does conventional medical science tell us that we can’t repair our thyroid gland, nerves and brain, or heart?

That’s about to change.

Let’s be clear. Growing new tissue and regenerating organs is not easy. But, the mental block that tissue doesn’t regenerate is gone. We now know that there is an ongoing slow replacement process of cells throughout life. Organs are not static, machine parts. But living, growing, and self-repairing biological tissue with the power to regenerate.

Heart muscle can grow back. Nerves seek new networks in the brain. Pancreatic cells can reboot insulin production. Thyroid cells come back to life. But how? Stems cells play a big role. But, so do other molecules, hormones, and chemical factors in the body.

For example, Thymosin Beta 4 promotes development of new tissue and has been used to stimulate heart muscle regeneration. A naturally occurring peptide, Thymosin Beta 4, is found in high concentrations in blood platelets, wound fluid and other tissues in the body that plays an important role in protection, regeneration and remodeling of injured or damaged tissues including heart and nerve tissue.

In Type I Diabetes, the immune system launches attacks insulin-producing beta cells in the pancreas, resulting in loss of the ability to make insulin. Without insulin, the body’s cells cannot absorb glucose from the blood and use it for energy. As a result, glucose accumulates in the blood, leaving the body’s cells and tissues starved for energy. That’s why people with the disease must inject insulin and monitor their blood glucose levels vigilantly every day, multiple times a day, to stay alive and maintain optimal health. Researchers found that glucokinase, a regulatory protein produced in liver cells that acts as a key enzyme in glucose metabolism. And, it appears to help regenerate the pancreatic cells that produce insulin. Natural foods may help regeneration. Fructose, natural fruit sugar, frees up glucokinase allowing it to do its job in regulating glucose.

Regeneration is the process of renewal, restoration, and growth that make genomes, cells, organs, organisms, and ecosystems resilient to events that cause damage. Every species is capable of regeneration, from bacteria to humans. Why not take natural health to the next level? It’s a remarkable journey. A healthy diet will sustain you along the way. High quality nutritional supplementation adds a significant advantage. Cleansing and detoxification help. Regular exercise is essential. The ultimate is whole body renewal, and that begins with regeneration.

Kev’s Comments:

Regeneration…

Ah, sounds so peaceful doesn’t it?

It also sounds like it means you have to put your entire life on pause.

I know from experience that taking rests can help heal. My adrenals have already told you that story.

The biggest question for me is how much of our deteriorating health is attributed to certain causes. How much of our poor health is stress related? How much is related to a toxic environment? How much is attributed to our genetics?

When I get deep into these questions, I realize that I’m not scientifically qualified to answer these questions (nor do I really think anyone else is.) So what I then do is take a generalist’s approach.

If the toxic environment, the stress and the genetics all play a part, then we need to make sure we’re working to lessen all the negative effects of them.

And part of this equation — maybe even the heart of it — is allowing the body to rest and give it time to regenerate. A messy closet can’t be cleaned if you keep piling stuff up inside of it.

So if you de-stress, you also detoxify. You allow your body time to do what it needs to do — in this case remove whatever could interfere with your health. If you de-stress, you also allow your genes to express normally — particularly if you pick a diet that works with your body — whether that’s higher protein or higher carbohydrate or any permutation of those macronutrients (and certain foods.)

So in this case Dr. Williams is certainly right…

But… what are you going to do about it. Will you just read this and “know” that you need to do something about your crazy life, or will you actually take action?

It’s up to you, but when the black swan comes swooping in, don’t be surprised.

Your Question of the Day: when was the last time you took a break?

Here’s How You Can Access Some of Dr. Williams’ Most Important Health Secrets and Protocols…

Dr. J. E. Williams has over 30 years of clinical experience in the natural health world and has had over 100,000 patient visits over that time.

We’ve recently created a selection of programs based on his work, to help you get real, tested and effective natural solutions.

These programs include how to improve thyroid function, how to read your blood tests, and how to support your adrenals naturally.

To learn more about these programs or to get one today, please click here!

Dr. J. E. Williams

J. E. WILLIAMS, OMD, FAAIM

Dr. Williams is a pioneer in integrative and functional medicine, the author of six books, and a practicing clinician with over 100,000 patient visits. His areas of interest include longevity and viral immunity. Formerly from San Diego, he now resides in Sarasota, Florida and practices at the Florida Integrative Medical Center. He teaches at NOVA Southeastern University and Emperor’s College of Oriental Medicine.

Visit Dr. Williams’ Website: https://drjewilliams.com/

And Follow on Facebook:

Facebook

1. Brianna says:

I’m taking a break right now- does that count? 🙂 In all honesty, I feel my best when I am working towards a goal. Today is my “break” day – technically, but on days like today, I like to think about my goals, write, brain-storm, and implement a couple changes to my routine that I feel may be beneficial. Then, next Sunday, I re-examine and make changes again. I enjoy the challenge, and I especially focus on the fact that taking time out for myself, to think about my goals, my “black swans”, and my plan of action to lessen the effects of the swans, this will only help me become a better friend, daughter, sister, worker, citizen, etc etc. Great post, Kev. Love from ND!

2. Carole says:

I’ll tell you what – this is really timely for me. I’ve been pushing the limits for weeks now and I woke up today feeling like I had hit a brick wall.

I’m going to try to ignore all of the things that need to be done and just chill today.

3. Sharon says:

I got into an argument the other day with a biomedical scientist at my gym.
    He’s in his 70s and recovering from heart surgery and he is diabetic.
    He was insisting that we live longer now because of drugs and conventional medicine.
    Yeah..he is the perfect example of the black swan..not living longer, dying longer!

4. Lester says:

Here’s what I understand. My heart, lungs, brain, and in fact my entire organ system never takes a break so why should “I” take a “break”? That’s where a natural rhythm of sleep and siestas come into play. And even during sleep the human system is not taking a break but the conscious mind is. So if one can fall into moving meditation during the day to turn off the conscious mind then there would be no need to take an unnatural break. That’s where modern life is leaving me short and I have to break away from my electronic communication addictions which I haven’t been doing enough of; as you can see I’m responding to this query.

5. wendy green says:

haha..my whole lifestyle is a break. teaching yoga, taking guests on hikes, and swimming in the river. making salads and smoothies. to bed and up early. perfect!

6. Jean Hart says:

Great Article! Dr. Williams is so right! Bottom line is that we ARE what we EAT. Taking a day off once a week (for those who aren’t retired) is critical. Our society has programmed so many to believe that we are slaves to our salaries, our families, our life styles. Nope! It’s all a belief system – so we must wake up and smell the roses. Even 10 minutes of quiet time or meditation, daily, is very important.
    Be good to ourselves through whole, organic foods and nurture a sense of self-appreciation!
    Be well! -Jean

7. Kara says:

what about the effects of chem trails on our health….is the short term value of dealing with global warming worth it when people… especially healthy people are getting sicker more and more frequently.. even those who live in the country with fresh air and water and a healthy diet. things have changed and it is not just pollution and stress.
    kara

8. This article said nothing that many many, many speakers and writers haven’t said for the last 60 years. Common sense 101. Sorry to be the ‘downer’.

Oh, and btw, we are so NOT what we eat. Not by any long shot, not by any stretch of anyone’s imagination.
    That being said, always better to eat on the side of intelligence and common sense, than to go looking for trouble.

9. Suzanne says:

Can this work for pulmenery problems as well ?

10. Suzanne says:

I have been eating most organic and juicing for 2 months yet not much change.

11. christine says:

Wow – this probably one of the most thought provoking posts for me in a while. To clean the inside I have been working on improving my diet for some time now. I still slip at times and eat things I know I should’nt. For the past month I have started to clean up the outside to remove chemicals and toxins from my home by swapping to natural plant based cleaning products and so forth. I have also changed all of my skin care and makeup products to get rid of the common chemical ridden you-name-it brands. I listen to my body more and rest when it tells me I really need to rest instead of forcing on ahead otherwise like Carole #2 I hit a brick wall. I should have made these changes years ago but I was young, foolish and took life/health for granted. Still it is never too late to change for the better and at 50 years of age I am doing what I can to keep those black swans at bay.

12. Jeff says:

I just finished up a 3 day juice fast and 7 day water fast with colon detoxification. I was on the computer a minimal amount, recommitted to journaling every evening, took gentle walks, went to bed early, played with my children, loved extra on my wife, and myself. It was the best choice I made so far this year, and today was my first day eating! So necessary to have the “sabbath”!

13. LynnCS says:

Being finally retired helps, but it has taken a couple years of quiet wind down to get calm. It helps that I have learned the computer and have improved my diet to let go of grains and dairy. I was a veg that was getting sicker and sicker. Not all vegetarians always eat as healthy as they/we should. I am so happy to have taken a couple years to allow this process to take place. When I was working, I never went anywhere for my vacation. I stayed home and slept and got my head out of work. Not really possible, even then, but I suggest it for anyone as over stressed as I was. Shifting to a calm existence is hard. I bought a house in the trees on the coast of Oregon and had to train myself to stop living on adrenalin. Getting honest with myself about what is really a need for excitement and what is not has been the key for me. Making a home for myself and getting rid of junk, making a place to work on hobbies, a place to exercise and a cozy place to visit with friends. I did whatever planning I could do when working, so now I live within those means and don’t stress about what I coulda, shoulda, woulda done differently. One of the most important things I’ve done is go to each person in my family at some time and talk about things that may be coming between us. Anything I honestly believe I should make amends for, I did/do. It is so relieving and keeps an honest and clean relationship going. Take time to make a list of things both physical and spiritual that needs to be cleaned up and do them. I talked about improving my life by making amends for years before I retired so as life moved along, I was able to not carry any anger and resentments or guilt and shame. It is the most important thing I have done along with getting off medicines and giving my body a healthy diet and exercise. Keeping things simple is the most loving thing I can do for myself and others.

Thanks, Kevin for putting on this forum. Lynn

14. Jean says:

Doing what we love to do makes working at that activity easy for us, even without rest breaks. However, we obviously pile up some stress regardless of how much we love what we are doing. Taking breaks is part of enjoying life, and I believe that is what we are here to do. Let’s relieve the stress that comes with work, and consider not stressing about the breaks we take, but rather look forward with glee to opportunities for rest on a regular basis, and allow ourselves to absolutely enjoy every moment of our rest breaks as much as we love our other accomplishments in life! The rewards will be incredible!

15. Selene says:

I now consciously do “nothing” for long periods of time each day.

Sitting in the backyard watching my fruit trees bud, laying on the couch staring at the ceiling, listening to calm music without doing anything else at the same time.

My acupuncturist (whose specialty and success is working with cancer) taught me that it’s crucial to totally rest, rest, rest, rest. This is VERY difficult for Americans to do.

I disagree with Lester’s comparison. We rest so that our body systems CAN keep working at an optimal rate.

16. Patrick says:

It’s a myth that worms cut in half grow back into two separate worms. If you cut a worm in half it dies a very slow, painful death. Just saying. 🙂

17. Gen says:

It’s an ongoing process, isn’t it? Thanks for the encouragement Kevin and those who posted comments/suggestions.

18. Cher says:

Hi Kevin, fantastic article, spot on an covers so much, going to share on my site if that’s ok, could not say it better myself, love your articles, thanks, Cher 🙂

19. Velda says:

This is a great post, Kevin. Thought-provoking and informative. Thank you. For years I went without resting – not one day. Even when we took vacations. I didn’t know how to relax. Yet, it is so important. Even God rested on the 7th day, and commanded us to do so. If it weren’t important, he would not have told us to. Also, throughout the Bible there are dietary requirement and cleanliness requirements. I think all of that is important. We may not be what we eat, but I firmly believe we are what we absorb and we need to keep our bodies in the right shape in order to let our food be our medicine. Thanks again for a great article!!

20. Carol W. says:

My husband had acl knee surgery about six weeks ago, and it really took a toll on me. I had to take over every aspect of our life while he was healing, and there was no sleep as he was up every hour for two weeks. Eventually, my body rebelled. I was extremely exhausted even after sleep. Finally one night, I kidingly told him if he needed anything in the night to call the neighbor. I was on the verge of collapse. It took me weeks to recover. Our bodies in their infinite wisdom let us know by shutting down when we need to take time to rest and rejuvenate.

21. Julia says:

I recommend the book Deep Nutrition, it talks about how our thoughts, environments and especially foods affect epigenetics. It’s absolutely a fantastic read.

22. Violinist says:

I think this is a great article. I believe that random “diseases” do not happen to truly healthy people. All disease comes from obstructions in the body, whether emotional or physical. The primary problem is acidosis from proteins, stress etc. The cleaning of the lymphatic system is KEY to regenerating and healing the organs and tissues of the body. In my opinion Dr. Robert Morse has a better understanding of this system than anyone else 🙂

23. Diana says:

How can I connect with Dr. Williams to find out how to regenerate insulin producing cells for my son and daughter who have type 1 diabetes?? I believe cells can regenerate…how can we do it??? Thanks so much, Kevin!!!

24. Annie says:

I have for 25 years been involved in complimentary healthcare and nutrition and I have been a strong advocate for all Dr Williams says. And I too have seen ‘black swans’ many times – and not always in the elderly. I began using EFT (www.eftuniverse.com) 12 years ago as an adjunct to my Bowen practice,and found that what we think and more to the point, what we are FEELING as a result of those thoughts, has more to do with our physical health than ANYTHING we eat.
    Dr Hans Seleye (father of Stress) said that 90% of all illness is stres induced – I think more like 100% when you look at it from a thought/feeling perspective.
    Since finding EFT and the ‘feeling’ connection to health, I have done years of research and found much to back this up, both in my practice and in literature. The ‘Sedona’ and ‘Release Technique’ both are about ‘letting go’ of unwanted feelings, and I have also, some years ago, found THE most powerful processes from the teachings of Abraham – and I cannot recommend them highly enough. Read ‘Money and the Law of Attraction’ for the ride of your mental life!!! It is hardly about money, but all about feelings and how they create our reality/wellness/life, and what to do about them in order to be well and happy. Abraham has written many books over 20 years, but this is by far the most comprehensive of the words of wisdom that they bring. Their CDs are also very informative.
    We are not only what we eat – it helps, but only if we BELIEVE it – and a belief is just something we think often enough to become ‘true’.
    We are complex beings,yes, as Dr Williams says,and we need to include ALL aspects of ourselves in our consideration of how to be optimally healthy, and our mind is the most important key.

25. Rocio says:

I don’t want to wait until I retire to heal..I believe regeneration starts when I am willing to change. Sometimes we need to pray to be willing. I don’t have time this morning to write a long post..but I know God in His infinite mercy is calling me to focus in Him and in my healing. “Be still and know I am God” I know my God heals, renew, regenerate, taking a break from all my past, even yesterday..letting go of all habits, unnecessary friendships, unnecessary conversations, arguments, foods that sometimes seem to have so much power over us, like those resentments, regrets, that keep on coming back to us accusing us and robing us of today, and the true freedom that have been purchase for us..today I am willing to receive healing, regeneration? oh YES..I don’t want to carry my junk around any more. Today I choose to let go. Take a deep breath and allow the power of almighty God to fill my life. His hope, His peace, His light, His purpose for my day.. today.
    Power of prayer, stillness even in the mist of movement..even when I cook, and drive, teach my children, listen to my beautiful teenagers, love my husband like.. for the last time. I can focus in healing, my liver, my kidneys, every cell, every tissue, every organ, in complete harmony. No my perfection, but His. Making it a good day.
    I am willing and I know as long as I keep an open mind..I will happen. Many blessings…

26. Nadine says:

Love to hear your comment on Diana please email it to me. Tx

27. Marilyn says:

I have made the conscious choice to take the weekends (Saturday and Sunday) off from the computer and working, focusing on relaxation and quality time with my loved one!

28. Kat says:

I’ve always had days when I did absolutely nothing. Then, while on Medical leave,I lost my job and for awhile there was no rest, just tons of stress. However, once my mind was able to calm down and release the drama/trauma of working in a hostile environment life became easier. The struggle was gone. Even though unemployment is far less than I earned it is somehow easier to meet the same monthly expenses. I live a quiet, simple life. I made a decision to never work again. I’m just going to have fun and play, doing things that make me feel happy and engaged in life.

29. Odette says:

I was recently diagnosed with osteo arthritis and wondering if you have any information about regenerating hip joints without surgery.

30. Holly says:

Also interested in what you have to say about osteoarthritis in hips and knees for someone on a plant-based diet/alkaline diet.

31. Bill S. says:

Hi Kevin….thanks for a great post. Myself, like Odette before me, am looking for a non-surgical solution to arthritis in my hip joint. Also, looking for a natural doc referral near San Jose, CA. Thanks for all your efforts and may God bless you, always.

Thanks………..Bill S.

32. Cindy says:

This is for Odette. Please read PAINFREE by Pete Egoscue. Also his other book THE EGOSCUE METHOD OF HEALING THROUGH MOTION which goes into more detail. These 2 books along with Braggs Apple Cider Vinegar gave me hope. Both my mother & sister had hip replacement surgery, & although I’ve had hip pain for years I was determined not to have it. The site of the pain is not always the cause. Your body is dysfunctional/out of alignment causing the muscles that are suppose to do their specific duty to borrow strength further away from the next muscle & then further from the next. The book shows you specific easy stretches/ exercises that you do for your specific Condition which you self diagnose by looking in the mirror at your body. He shows/explains everything & believes the body is self healing when it is functional but doesn’t get the chance when we are dysfunctional. It makes so much sense. My pain had gotten so bad I was walking like cripple at times. My legs range of motion is so limited & my thigh muscles are flaccid because my hip muscles have taken over their job. Most of our problems are from our lifestyle, modern conveniences,& basically LACK OF MOTION. I had stopped all my sports & sat at a job for over 9 years. After that came divorce & other big stressors. I just started the exercises & am really hopeful & excited!

33. Cindy says:

To Holly & Bill I hope you read my previous post. Pete Egoscue also has a clinic near San Diego, CA & somewhere in Florida. Please get this information out, it is such common sense. Your hip & knee problems are most likely able to be cured by simple exercises & getting your body back to a functional, aligned position, as it was meant to be, so that it can heal & regenerate cartilage. I was desperate about my own condition & a chance meeting w/an acquaintance, which we both believe was no chance but divine intervention led me to this HOPE that I will eventually w/work & patience, be cured WITHOUT SURGERY.

34. giedre says:

hi kevin love your blogs.and agree with you cause me and my husband had very healthy lifestyle and he still got very sick. comment to carol w. comment. i can’t believe that you are complaining that you needed to take care about your husband after his knee surgery.imagine 2 years taking care of husband twice size of yours-ex athlete like a baby.paralyzed from waist down.hospitals,pressure wounds,surgeries,fighting for his life ,and taking care 24 hrs a day. and being sick yourself with huge finger infection.you have no idea what it is word tired

35. Hi Kevin….and Dr Williams thanks for the great post.
    It was a necessary post.
    If you could send self generated mail to all those who eagerly ask questions, here in your blog, when people answer with what we know, it would be complete. Are the Query making persons, getting connected with other readers who answer.I doubt. I got a letter once long back from a participant because you gave him my e mail id.
    IT should be like facebook, instant answer online.
    D.PARAMESWARAN,www.sunflowerdance.com

36. Bill S. says:

Cindy

Thanks very much for the inspiring words regarding the Egoscue Healing Method. Your simple explanation makes good sense….thank you for taking the time to explain it. I will get a copy of the book and get going on it! Yes, I believe your meeting was divine intervention, as ours is as well. May our great, loving God bless you and heal you.
    Thanks again…….Bill