The Next Farming Atrocity Starts Here… The Sea : Exclusive Renegade Health Article

Saturday Mar 10 | BY |

key west ocean fish
They say there are always more fish in the sea, but will this be true in 100 years?

We’re here at Expo West — which is the largest natural health tradeshow around…

We’ve been every year for the last 5 or 6 years and it seems like this time it’s even bigger.

The registration area has taken over the Arena next to the Anaheim Convention Center and hotel space in this city is sparse, making a 3 night stay ridiculously expensive.

We managed to find a cheap hotel, but you do get what you pay for. Our sink is perpetually clogged and the bath tub won’t stop dripping.

Oh well, next year we’ll book our hotel earlier than the same day we’re traveling. LOL!

This, of course, is not the next farming atrocity. (Anaheim was built on orange farmland has long since been tainted.)

What is, is this…

At the Expo, the keynote speaker is Paul Greenberg, author of Four Fish: The Future of the Last Wild Food.

Whether you eat animals or not, his message is quite powerful and his mission is to stop the creation of the sea equivalent of feedlot farming.

That’s the atrocity that can happen if we don’t stop how fish are being farmed and maybe even consumed.

Since you can’t be here at the Expo, I wanted to share two videos that encapsulate Paul’s message so you can understand what exactly is happening behind the scenes in the ocean and the fish industry.

Here’s the first video (for those with short attention span — only 12 minutes or so):

Here’s the second from a Google Talk (about 60 minutes):

I hope that made you think a bit, I did for me. Tomorrow and next week, I’ll have more from the Expo, including some of the cool things here and my thoughts on the state of the natural health industry in 2012.

Your question of the day: Do you think our oceans will be filled with at sea feedlots in the next 20 years?

1. Cam says:

The seas are dying now due to all the oils, poisons, contaminated run-off, plastics….eventually, people in the middle of the US will be able to smell the stinch of the dead oceans/seas….unless, something is done to change the way man does things on earth….think there is actually a chance for that?

Cam

2. Diane Whitlock says:

Hi Kev, thanks so much, enjoyed this info., Question, would like to hear more about sardines and what info. would be helpful concerning it’s safety in consumption. Diane Whitlock

3. Thomas says:

Personally, I don’t eat ground beef. But if you know anyone (friends, kinfolk) that does, you should show them this short news clip:

Aquaculture works for some species, but not for all. For those species that don’t move much it is feasible (pond types), but for those that have to migrate great distances it is folly. I have seen sea bass, both white and black, when diving and it’s hard to imagine cooping them up. They both grow large, move fast and cover huge ranges.

The extermination of the blue-fin tuna for the big money of the Japanese sushi market is a prime example of what’s been happening. Glad to see the Sea Shepards have limited the Japanese whale-kill this year in Antarctica.

I think the fascination with fish-farming will wear out when it becomes economically unsustainable. Our Creator knows best. 🙂

4. zyxomma says:

I don’t eat creatures (apart from the krill and zooplankton that are, no doubt, hiding in my nori sheets and other sea vegetables), but I do understand what a small minority we vegans represent.

The oceans are being acidified by dumping, oil and gas drilling, using the worst/cheapest fuels for long distance shipping, and the runoff from agriculture that has already created oxygen-deficient dead zones that no longer support life.

Aquaculture (unless it’s done inland) is just another atrocity. Health and peace.

5. Selene says:

Nope, I don’t think it’ll happen. Too many eco-minded people rising up agains it.

6. jenness says:

Kevin, Love your info and products and enthusiasm. Thank you. Give six months of my year, no pay, to help in the protection of animals. Would love to watch 60 minute YouTube – sometimes we don’t have short attention spans, just time. Great we have the shorter version…

7. Kathy says:

Here is another serious problem for the oceans. This could become more of a problem than over fishing.

8. George says:

selene, I hope you are right. The media still rules our minds and how many people will rise up and voice their horror at what we are doing to this planet’s resources?

9. Frank Berg says:

I think that because I lived in British Columbia for a large portion of my life, I have adopted a give-of-your-best-to the world approach in life. That is probably why I chose a high-road name for my web based shopping mall. http://WWW.AboveAndBeyondMall.com
    For many years the West Coast province of Canada has had the same approach to fisheries. They have high regard for the travel and spawning of the different Salmon that sometimes travel over 500 miles inland to the spawning grounds. In the Skeena River system I have seen many fish too big for one strong man to carry by himself. Fish ladders have been installed and are maintained on every river and stream where dams or other development have taken place. The black bears and grizzlies feed most on the spent carcasses of those fish that have already spawned.I have visited many of these ladders. In some cases I saw miles of new spawning beds that were created to enhance the number of fry that hatch and go back to the sea to grow up. I have seen bird netting spread over some of these areas to keep the bald eagles, osprey and crows from destroying the salmon count. What I have seen makes me think that as long as we keep an approach that the rest of the world deserves wild fish, we stand a good chance of having a continuing supply. Perhaps there will not be enough to meet demand. We are only one area, When we reach above and beyond what is expected. If we give-of-your-best-to-the-world, this might catch on in other parts of the world as well. I think we can have wild fish for many years.

10. Back in ’04 I was a sales rep for wild caught shrimp that were not frozen but fresh, max 30 hours from non bleach washed boat to store or restaurant.
    It was a difficult job educating consumers back then about the benifits of good clean food. I was on the East coast then, it was only geared towards price.
    I started at the top, Per Sei, Masa, Grand Central oyster, Whole Foods Boston sea food buying office. Beware of the top restaurants they hear price not safety.
    Finally now WF sells wild caught fish, many years later.Sometimes it takes time and patience for the message to sink in.
    Third world countries are disrupting the ecology with fish farms. Coral reefs are dying and killing off mangrove trees, etc. The ponds are toxic after two years of farming, nothing will live or grow near them.