What About Hemp, Chia, Flax, Purslane, Fermented Fish, Supercritical Tennis Ball Fuzz Extract? (Last Day for this Deal)

Wednesday Mar 7 | BY |

omega 3 and anti-oxidants
You can’t get as red as a lobster, I’ve tried. But this really, white guy knows that omega-3 oils and antioxidants are essential when the sun gets too much of you.

Ok, a bunch of things today…

First, I’ll start with my mistakes for the week.

Numero Uno: The right link for the Hungry for Change free screening that starts on March 21st is this:

I apologize for the error on that one in Monday’s post.

Numero Dos: there was never a buy 3 for the price of one deal for Sacha Inchi. That was a massive typo that I made on the blog yesterday. I was supposed to type buy three and get one free. Instead my fingers decided to give you a deal that we just can’t honor. LOL!

Alas, today, I’m sure I’ll have more. πŸ™‚

Now on to what really matters…

About a 100 more questions on omega-3 oils that you’ve asked!

Today I’ll cover hemp oil, chia seed, shelf life of Sacha Inchi, EPA and DHA content of Sacha Inchi, if purslane is sufficient enough to get your omega-3 oils and more.

Let’s get rocking…

1. I have a question for you Kevin… what about sacha inchi powder? Is that as good as the oil?

I have not tried the sacha inchi powder, but I have some concerns about it — particularly if it’s raw. Sacha inchi nuts are not traditionally eaten raw which makes me wonder whether or not you should be taking the raw powder. I asked Dr. Williams about raw sacha inchi nuts a few years ago and he shook his head at me. His message was simple, don’t mess with the wisdom of the ages.

You might ask, the oil is raw, so why would we eat that?

The oil from the seeds had been used traditionally internally and externally on the skin.

The oil is taken from raw seeds and cold pressed, but when you do this, you only leave the oil which is one of the components that we’re looking for — particularly if we want to ensure we have enough omega-3 consumption.

2. Does Sacha inchi oil go rancid like other omega-3 oils?

All omega-3 oils go rancid eventually. Some quicker than others. Flax seems to be the quickest from what I understand. Chia, sacha inchi and some others are more stable. The sacha inchi oil has a shelf life of 2 years.

3. Can’t I get my omega 3’s from hemp oil?

You can get some, but sacha inchi actually has more essential fatty acids than hemp. Hemp comes in around 70%, while sacha inchi is about 92%.

Plus, sacha inchi tastes better in my opinion!

That’s one of the reasons why I’m so excited about it, besides all the nutritional stuff.

4. What about chia seed?

I love chia!

I eat it regularly, but here’s the thing…

Chia is a good source of omega 3 oils on paper, but it may not give you what you need.

For about 2 years I ate a massive bowl of chia every day and my omega-3 levels were still low.

Now this may mean I couldn’t convert the shorter chain omega-3’s in my body to EPA and DHA or something else about my own chemistry — but the proof is in the Irish moss pudding.

You cannot assume that if a spec sheet says X-amount of omega-3 oils that all those nutrients are getting into your body.

So I would recommend taking a more scientific approach than just eating high omega-3 foods and actually test to see if what you’re doing is working.

It would be a shame to look back 20 years from now — after eating lots of chia (whole and ground) — after you’ve just found out that your health issues are directly related low omega-3 oils that you thought you were getting from your food.

This is not to sell you on sacha inchi oils. It’s to sell you on thinking about omega-3’s seriously.

I use all types of omega-3. I’ve experimented with krill, fermented fish oil, algae oils, sacha inchi, flax, chia and more. I make sure that I rotate through all of them to give me the widest spectrum.

5. I would really like to know the EPA/DHA breakdown on the sacha inchi oil. Have written in, but doubt I will get response before special is over!

No need to be so assumptive, LOL πŸ™‚

I’ll gladly answer this one…

Sacha inchi does not have EPA and DHA. It has LNA or ALA or alpha-linolenic acid (These seem to be somewhat interchangeable in the literature that I’ve found.)

ALA is converted into the body to DHA and EPA. The body converts ALA to DHA and EPA at a rate of about 10-35%.

This is why taking different sources of omega-3’s — ALA, DHA, EPA — is essential to optimal health.

I would really like to know the EPA/DHA breakdown on the sacha inchi oi. Have written in, but doubt I will get response before special is over!

6. What about coconut oil?

Coconut oil is not a source of omega-3 oils. It has high quality medium chain fatty acids, but not any relevant or detectable amount of omega-3’s.

7. My question of the day is, have you ever been privy to Dr Williams own blood test results? Have his omega-3 levels raised since taking sacha inchi.

No, I haven’t seen his blood tests.

He uses a wide range of omega-3 oils in his practice of over 30 years and has seen increases in omega-3 levels using all types of sources.

8. I agree with some of the readers about Purslane. It grows abundantly and supplies all the needed Omegas.

Just like my own story above, please beware of the experts who think just eating purslane (or any other omega-3 source) will give you enough omega-3 oils. Yes, there are omega-3 oils in purslane, but it is half the amount of LNA as flax or sacha inchi, so for most people who are deficient, they may not be enough to raise levels up to desirable.

You’re free to do as you choose and I recommend eating as much purslane as you can stomach — due it it’s wild nutrient profile — but I wouldn’t use it as your only source of omega-3 oils.

Along these lines, romaine lettuce has — per calorie — a good omega-3 profile as well, but the amount when ingested is minimal compared to other sources.

9. I read on WikiPedia that sacha inchi is the Incan Peanut. Why would I want to eat peanut oil, isn’t that bad?

To start, there’s no offense intended here, but please don’t use Wikipedia as a credible source of health information. It’s a “wiki.” This means that it’s crowd-sourced. Anyone can add anything to increase your overall confusion. You can use it to look up the 80’s singer who recorded the album “Runaway Horses,” but I wouldn’t rely on it for your health. (Any guesses — without looking it up online?)

Secondly, you’re correct, it is called a peanut, but it isn’t a peanut.

The sacha inchi nut has no resemblance to the peanut besides some subtle flavors that are reminiscent of it.

For those of you who geek out on botanicals, sacha inchi’s classification is Plukenetia volubilis. The peanut is Arachis hypogaea.

10. I’ve been taking flax (or hemp, or….) for years, why should I switch to something different?

I asked the same thing…

It’s not an issue of switching really, it’s an issue of trying something new that may work better for you.

I wrote about some of the anti-nutrient properties of flax yesterday (here) to help you understand why flax may not be the best option for you.

So I did my own research and found that I’d rather have sacha inchi as part of my rotating protocol.

This was confirmed for me by Dr. Williams as well as a few other colleagues who’ve been talking about this oil as well.

I feel it’s my responsibility to give you options for your health.

I think sacha inchi is a powerful one.

As you know, I hesitate to announce and talk about the next best thing (which many others do.)

Sacha inchi has not only been around for thousands of years, it also, I feel, is time for it to be shared outside of the tiny circles I run around in.

They know about it, so now you do too! LOL!

Remember, we all have our own bio-individuality.

When you take sacha inchi oil, you would take it just like you would flax or other plant based EFA oils. And again, in this case, you don’t have to be concerned about some of the anti-nutrients that flax seed oil can have.

(It also tastes much, much better than flax or hemp!)

11. So are you trying to sell me on this “new” oil?

Yes and no.

Yes, I’d like you to try it and see if it helps.

No, I’m just giving you a new option that I’ve vetted and looks much more appealing than some existing sources.

Like I said above in a previous answer, What I’m really trying to sell you on is getting your omega-3 oils as well as testing to see if you have the right levels and ratios.

Whether you use sacha inchi or something else I don’t care.

I’d just like you to get the mood enhancing, depression lifting, heart healthy benefits of having enough.

So…

If you want to try it, right now we have a special that will get you 4 bottles for the price of 3 (expires on March 7th, 2012) or a discount if you want two.

Here’s where to go now to get this great deal…

Buy Sacha Inchi oil now!

Your Question of the Day: Have you ever tested your omega-3 levels?

P.S. I was just having some fun with the tennis ball fuzz extract. You won’t find that in your local health food store. Though it has been proven to add a sufficient amount of yellow to the diet. πŸ™‚

Kevin Gianni is a health author, activist and blogger. He started seriously researching personal and preventative natural health therapies in 2002 when he was struck with the reality that cancer ran deep in his family and if he didn’t change the way he was living β€” he might go down that same path. Since then, he’s written and edited 6 books on the subject of natural health, diet and fitness. During this time, he’s constantly been humbled by what experts claim they know and what actually is true. This has led him to experiment with many diets and protocols β€” including vegan, raw food, fasting, medical treatments and more β€” to find out what is myth and what really works in the real world.

Kevin has also traveled around the world searching for the best protocols, foods, medicines and clinics around and bringing them to the readers of his blog RenegadeHealth.com β€” which is one of the most widely read natural health blogs in the world with hundreds of thousands of visitors a month from over 150 countries around the world.

1. galen says:

How about Udo’s 3-6-9?

2. Robin says:

“Numero Tres: (I know… so many.) Flax seed has lignans, not lingans. This error passed by the editor (me) and it’s actually really quite funny if you are in any way familiar with kama sutra. (I’ve since corrected this error.)”

Kev, sorry, it’s not corrected in the store descriptions! (Your editor-in-chief….)

So from specs., an 8 oz. bottle will provide ~15 1 tbsp. servings? The conversion rate to EPA/DHA is low, kind of like flax oil–can body actually use the ALA as is, or needs the EPA/DHA?

Am asking bec., for me, it’s expensive, but sounds so different and soooooooo GOOD to try, esp. on salads!

I take 10G fish oil omega-3 for mood. Wondering how I could combine ‘doses’ if I used both the fish oil and sacha inchi?

Help before sale is over? πŸ™‚

3. Alina says:

Kevin,
    How do we test for omegas?
    Thank you.

4. QC says:

Yes, I have tested my omega 3 level. It was low because I’m on the fruitarian diet. Due to my RA (Rheumatoid arthritis) I have serious sensitivities towards all nuts & seeds, they cause flare ups. So, the fruitarian works perfect for me. However, I do have low omega 3. At one point, I found my brain function was getting worse, couldn’t focus on/think about anything slightly complicated, and some form of rash came up from no where. My skin also constantly dry.

So, I tried to supplement with DHA, it didn’t work so well. I also tried chia seeds, it gave me gas. I don’t like flax and don’t want to take any animal source of omega 3. I have also tried Sacha Inchi oil from you Kevin. I forgot how it went though, guess I’ll have to try it again… the other source is dark green, I tried to intake massive amount of them and avoiding all other fats. That seemed to work ok.

5. Zeke says:

Hi Kevin completely different topic, but I hope you can answer this question. What can you substitute for coconut in recipes. I am extremely allergic?

6. Tim says:

Kevin,
    Would the Sacha Inchi oil be safe for people with nut alergies? Thanks for the news letter. Your information is always thought provoking.

Tim

7. Purna says:

Thanks for the info, Kev! I really appreciate that you are always encouraging people to try something new, and to clarify that the purpose is to test one’s own body.

As a raw vegan & wellness coach, it’s something I ALWAYs tell my clients – just because a product works for one person doesn’t mean it will have the same effect on someone else.

I myself have been including more chia and hemp seeds over flax, and have seen a difference. I’ll have to give this sacha inchi a try at some point!

8. Velda says:

Kevin, you are in rare form today πŸ™‚ Thanks for the laugh!! No, I have never tested my omega-3 levels. I’m wondering if I asked my doctor if she would even know of a test for that. An no, I have never tested my tennis ball fuzz extract levels either. Maybe I should really try and get that done πŸ™‚

Very lovely picture of you and Annmarie!!

9. Carley says:

What’s wrong with peanuts?

10. wendy green says:

hahaha…lingan. too funny! i read it, but didn’t catch it. Freudian slip on both our parts? as always, you da best and sending jungle love to you both!

11. sue says:

@alina: yeah, how do we get tested for omegas? What test do we ask for and is it a saliva or a blood test?

12. Brenton says:

Hi Kevin,
    Great info . . and advice on rotating sources of omega-3.
    What do you make of Brian Peskin’s views on the risks of fish/krill oil?
    He makes a good case, with studies and all.
    I am inclined to just rotate, as you suggest . . . and I do not want to put down to conspiracy what I can attribute to incompetance [of the medical finance sector], in these risks not being recognised widely.
    But . . . ??
    Love&Light, B

13. Patrick says:

Good article Kevin, thanks.

It’s a complex subject, but it seems that if people want to stay vegetarian, finding a plant sourced omega 3 that suits is actually the easy part… the hard bit is getting enough DHA & EPA, especially if you need a lot and want to avoid expensive supplementation.

If only there was a way to get high doses of plant based DHA and EPA…….

14. Kuru says:

Kev, Numero tres error re kama sutra. That’s lingam with an m, not lingan. You’re going for broke, aren’t you?!

I heard David Wolfe say that fish oil was high in cholesterol and would effect your LDL. True, mine is high, but I’m told it’s ok by docs because my HDL is high too and the balance is ok! Wonder if that makes any sense!?!

15. Svetlana says:

Great info Kevin!Thank you so much for your honesty and valuable information.
    What about Clary Sage oil?

16. ellen says:

Hi Kevin.. I may have found today’s typo (or maybe it’s me?)…but in #10 above, the link to yesterday’s flax article, is not active. It just says “(here)” – but no hyperlink. I’ll go look for it, bc/ I am curious now.

Thanks for the good info on Omegas! I did have my levels tested (in a Holman home / self-test kit) and was happy with the results! I agree it’s good to know where you stand with this stuff so you can supplement / eat appropriately!

thanks again.

17. Laurie says:

To the person who asked about the Sacha Inchi powder…..this looks like a defatted version of the nut. Like so many products out there that seem to have great nutritional value, to get all of the protein without the fat could possibly put one at risk for the high IGF-1 link to cancer. Like all of the protein powders out there (anything from the vegan soy-free varieties to the soy-based ones and dairy-based ones)….much safer to stay away from them. Period. In the case of Sacha Inchi, the Omegas are pretty much in the oil portion that is essentially stripped away in the powders, which is why I haven’t seen the Omega 3 claims for the powder that come with the oil and the nut.

18. zyxomma says:

Someone already addressed lingam vs. lingan, so no need to go there. I’m sure Kevin already knows his spelling and grammar sometimes border on the atrocious, but he’s his own editor, and not everyone is a proofreader-editor like me.

Sorry, Kevin, but I bought the oil last time you ran a sale, and IMO (we’re all different), it tasted worse than hemp and better than flax. The real problem with flax oil is that it goes rancid WITHOUT any change in its taste. Even if it’s refrigerated (and it must be), it goes bad within weeks.

And to answer the question, I’ve never tested my omega 3 profile. I would if I noticed symptoms, which I haven’t.

19. hyesun says:

yes, i’ve taken 2 different omega fats tests. one was from the seafood company called vital choice – they have a really easy blood spot test for aroun $150, i think? anyone can just go on their website and order it. the other one i did was part of a huge comprehensive test called nutreval by genova diagnostics, which tested all my nutrients, toxins, fatty acids, amino acids and other stuff. that has to be ordered by a doctor. anyway, on both tests i came out above average, in a good range on my omega 3 fatty acids. i rarely eat plant omegas, but i take cod liver oil and krill oil every day and eat salmon or sardines at least twice a week.

20. Em says:

Haha – is the ‘Tennis Ball Fuzz Extract’, ‘Supercritical’ because it’s mega-important to our system – our are we looking at some sort of whining, Pythoneseque essence, here??

Surely too, Kevin, what would be added to the diet would be lime-green as opposed to yellow?? πŸ™‚ Or perhaps your balls over there are yellow!

21. mee yin says:

prof. Adiel Tel-Oren of ClarySageSeedOil.com
    recommended that clary sage seed oil is the best source of omega 3, and lots of researches have been done on this. Perhaps, you should look into it and listen to what he said.

22. My gawd, there is so much misinformation is this segment & follow-up commentaries.
    It’s no ones fault. Fatty acid metabolism is very complex field, and few, in any field of endeavor, are versed enough to have a very solid grasp in this area.
    In no particular order. Fish oil does not contain cholesterol. I was also going to mention the sanskit(?) misspelling with the ‘m’& the ‘n’, but others have seen this already. Well done, good catch.
    The S.Incha oil ‘going bad’ issue. There are two issues here. 1. What (or rather ‘where’) are the double bonds in this one or set of molecules, as bond placement is directly related to how quickly the molecule will oxidize, due to it’s geometry. 2. What else is in the oil besides the Om 3 PRECURSORS – the afore mentioned and much lauded ALA?
    For example, Styrian pumpkin seed oil also contains the entire vitamin E complex. This will go far in the inhibition of oxidtaion. There are numerous other radical scavengers which naturally occur with a great many food oils. So knowing the complete oil profile will greatly answer the question of how long the oil lasts. And of course, keeping the oil away from light, heat and air also slows oxidative stress. Oil can be kept in the freezer, giving it an almost unlimited shelf life. Using it of course, will take some advance planning if that is one’s option. It wont freeze, but it will become ‘ooky’ dependng on the number and placemnt of those double bonds.
    Most fats begin to rancidify before we humans can smell the change, so Zyxomma is right on there.
    There is no true & absolute vegetarian anywhere in the natural kingdom, so trying to get all your required nutrients in this fashion, is trouble waiting to happen. Fact. Unrelated to my, or anyone else’s, opinion. Like the old STP commercial, you will pay now or you wil pay later. But any person will always pay if s/he goes 100% vegetarian for too long.
    To convert the precursors (ALA) to Om 3 and the ‘good'(though in reality, no such thing) Om 6’s, you need a well functioning G.Bladder and pancreas for the initial digestive processes. For fats, this is a bit more complex than most other macromolecules & a whole different circulation system becomes involved. This is before we ever get to the whole thing of efa ‘metabolism’.
    I know this comes off as strongly egoistic on my part, and I appear so full of myself – love to see myself ‘talk’. But here it is-though the body does does handle all these things automatically, it only does so when all the parts are in place. Healthy people, people who do all the right things, get sick all the time. And people with destructive lifestyles thrive, while we just shake our heads at and wonder how could this possible be? My only point for you all, in addressing all the questions above re which oil is better, so on and so forth, is that this is not how that works.
    There are just so many factors in play, that kind of question completely defies any logical response. It cannot be done. And anyone who suggests to offer an answer in a public forum is treading in waters they ought not be be. Someone above mentioned Biochemical Individuality. This is where the rubber meets the road. One oil is not better than another for any particular reason. Which ever one works for that person, for a certain reason,at that moment in time, is the right one. Period.
    Someone above, it may have been Kevin, stated that the key is to consume a lot of variation, so in the long run, many bases are covered. There is a lot of wisdom in that simple and logical approach. Eat a variety of foods and do not get locked into the ‘food de jour’. There will always be new food staples on our horizons. Eat simply and eat intelligently. Please note that I get nothing from this except sharing information
    collected from 30 years of clinical experience. I want to help, not spend my time here typing away just to have some of ya’ll shake your heads at, wondering what kind of fool am I.
    as Kevin should say, Live AwesomeLY ***

23. Sayward says:

^ ?

help! my eyes are rolling so hard they’ve popped out the back of my head!

24. hyesun says:

hey dr. scott,

what do YOU think of brian peskin’s theory of parent essential oils? do you think it’s valid? i’m utterly confused about his theory vs. fish oil promotion for omega 3s. if you’re not familiar with his work, just google him and you can read all about him. i’d love to know your opinion. thanks.

25. Michael says:

Hi Kevin!

I wanted to ask you about Dr. peskin too. He shows a chart with the omega 6 to omega 3 ratios of different tissues in the body and because of that chart he says we do not get enough omega 6 (unheated). And quotes a lot of studies to show that omega 6 is not the problem but “destroyed” omega 6.
    Again, thanks a lot for your work! You are one of the few out there who is really trying to be positiv and uplifting.(i say trying because no one is perfect)
    Michael

26. Marcin says:

I don`t mean it a rude way but I gotta say it “duhhhhh”. The information the difference on omegas from plant and fish source. Our bodies can`t just conver it enough.

I think the problem ppl like to complicate things, nutrition is easy but boring that`s why anything that`s new with an exotic name will sell for a premium.

Just take your fish oil, and you`ll be good

27. Marcin says:

sorry about the mistakes above damn ipad started to correct “mistakes”

28. Jim Dee says:

lol “lingans”. Hey, maybe flax is an aphrodisiac?

29. Angie says:

? why we have not heard history on hemp and chia? looks a lot like a marketing ploy.
    I recognize the hemp value, that the US banned it after WW2. This cold have saved us some plastic dependance and problems

30. Dagmar Carstensen says:

… i have been following you OMEGA posts … to add some more information to the mix check out BRIAN PESKIN and all his research on PEO 3 and PEO 6 … it adds another perspective to the OMEGA story

appreciate your site
    the information

most KINDLY
    Dagmar and have the BEST day ever