I Thought Flax Was The Best Plant Omega-3 Oil, Plus Your Omega-3 Oil Questions Answered… : Exclusive Renegade Health Q & A

Tuesday Mar 6, 2012 | BY |

searching for sacha inchi
Searching for Sachi Inchi in Peru. I’m hoping to catch the elusive tree with my video camera. (Just kidding, Sacha Inchi grows in the jungle… and most trees are not elusive!)

After my article the other day about omega-3 oils, we got a ton of questions!

So today, I wanted to talk about omega 3 oils — as you want me to talk about them — based on your questions.

In this article, I’ll address the “no-oil” approach to health, talk about which plant foods are better for omega-3 oils, why flax might not be the best choice, why you may need to supplement to get them and much more!

So grab your green smoothie and let’s get rolling…

1. I thought you were a raw foodist and didn’t eat oils (oils are bad for you).

Yes, this was true, at one time I didn’t eat oils because I thought all oils were bad for me. At one time I also was a 100% raw foodist.

Things have changed.

Why?

I started taking a more scientific approach to my health protocol. I started getting my blood tested and saw that the numbers weren’t as ideal as natural intended (or as the raw food gurus said they would be!)

Up until I realized that my cholesterol was extremely low I had a no-oil approach.

I still think less oil is better, but when I was faced with the facts that my omega-3 oils were low, I had to change my beliefs.

I would have liked it to be different, but the facts were the facts. I needed to eat more good fats and I needed more omega 3’s.

A supplement was the most efficient way to bring these levels back to normal — since my levels were low across the board.

This has been confirmed clinically by many of the colleagues I work closely with.

These days, I almost cringe to think of myself talking about not eating oils on the blog or in videos because I know for some people that’s just wrong — not for all, but for some.

2. I eat plant based diet with a ton of avocados, don’t I get enough essential fats like omega-3?

The answer to this is a flat out “no,” unless you’re eating other highly rich sources of omega-3’s or taking a supplement.

It’s likely that if you’re following a plant based diet without supplementation that you’re not getting enough EFAs and your balance of omega 3 oils to omega 6 and 9’s will be out of whack.

(It pays to test this to make sure!)

Avocados have about 12.5 times more omega 6 oils than omega 3.

Based on this fact, avocados are not a high source of omega 3 oils, and while they’re fantastic foods, they may not give you the fats your really need.

If you’d like to submit evidence of this fact to the contrary, I’d definitely be willing to look at tests that confirm the opposite of what I’m saying.

I’m not willing to listen to theory though — only evidence!

3. Why would I need to supplement to get my omega-3 oils?

For many, this just seems to be the case.

You can try getting omega-3 oils from your food, but if you’re chronically low you’ll experience dry skin, mood swings, brain fog, increased inflammation and more.

When you eat many plant based omegas the body needs to convert them into long-chain fatty acids. The body is not so efficient at this conversion. Some say it can only convert up to 15%.

These numbers aren’t great, so if you’re struggling with getting enough (or the symptoms I mentioned above), then you may need to change sources — or you may need to take a supplement.

4. What is Sacha Inchi oil and why do you like it better than other plant based sources?

Just to be clear, I want you to get omega-3 oils however you can. I personally think a mix of plant based and sustainable animal sources are best.

But let me tell you about sacha inchi oil and how I “discovered” it…

When we were in Peru back in 2010 with Dr. Williams he was talking very highly about a unique source of omega 3 oil.

I thought I had heard them all…

He told me that this particular plant had more than 90% essential fatty acids and almost 50% of those were omega 3 oils.

What was more impressive was that the ratio of omega 3 to omega 6 was about 2:1.

This is very good considering, like I mentioned above, that most people are getting 20 parts omega 6 to one part omega 3!

I asked him more about it and later the next day he handed me a bottle.

The label read “sacha mani” (I knew mani was peanut in Spanish.)

“It’s sacha inchi oil,” he said.

I had heard about sacha inchi oil before, but only in passing.

I had never ordered it or studied it, since no one had ever asked me about it.

It was off my radar.

But this time around, I was interested.

Here’s why…

When Dr. Williams had originally looked at my blood tests, he told me my cholesterol was very low and so were my hormones.

I asked him how to bring those levels up.

One of the suggestions he had was to use some more healthy fats in my diet, namely omega 3 oils.

The essential fatty acids help to produce and increase good cholesterol (HDL) and in turn help to produce your hormones.

Many of us – particularly if you’re a raw foodies or vegan – are walking around with low or very low cholesterol.

And if so, our moods may be compromised.

Now this doesn’t mean low cholesterol is necessarily a bad thing.

200 is better than 400!

But it does mean if you’re cholesterol IS low, you may need to look at your hormone production, mood, and sex drive to determine if you need to test these levels or supplement your diet.

When we got back into the states, I did some research on other plant based sources of omega 3 oils and learned that sacha inchi may, in fact, be the best source.

Here’s why… (This will answer the question about the comparison between flax and sacha inchi.)

There has been a lot of talk recently in the health community about flax oil and its anti-nutrients.

Flax oil has lignans that can interfere with the absorption of estrogen.

Lignans can function as a positive or a negative.

Lignans can have a very powerful effect on someone who already may be deficient in hormones – lowering estrogen even more – or even introducing plant estrogen’s into the body that mimic human estrogen’s.

But…

Flax can also be good for someone who is has too much estrogen, but again for those who don’t have enough, it can upset your body’s balance.

So while we’ve been taking flax for a long time, we may have a better option.

This doesn’t necessarily mean you can’t take flax, it just means, if you have an option that may be better it may be worth exploring.

Particularly if your hormones are wacky. :-)

The reason sacha inchi oil hasn’t been brought into the main stream just yet, is because until recently, flax oil wasn’t questioned.

Because of the new studies out, it makes sense to research what other options there are.

More coming tomorrow…

I realize this is getting pretty long and I have about 1500 more words for you, so I’m going to answer the rest of your questions tomorrow!

And by the way, if you want to try sacha inchi oil — right now we have a special that will get you 4 bottles for the price of three (expires on March 7th, 2012) or a discount if you want two.

Here’s where to go now to get this great deal…

Buy Sacha Inchi oil now!

Your Question of the Day: Do you like the taste of flax oil?

1. sherry says:

what about chia seeds?!

2. Annette says:

I love the taste of flax oil!

I have a question for you Kevin….what about sacha inchi powder? Is that as good as the oil?

Thanks!

3. Janice Brown says:

Do you have any thoughts on hemp oil?

4. Robin says:

I would really like to know the EPA/DHA breakdown on the sacha inchi oi. Have written in, but doubt I will get response before special is over!

5. Velda says:

I was wondering the same thing as Sherry – what about chia seed and coconut oil? Thanks, Kevin

6. Roni says:

I’m with Sherry – what info can you give us about Chia seeds? They seem to be all the rage right now in some circles and I find them very convenient, versatile, accessible and -no offense to Sacha Inchi – EXTREMELY economical compared to Sacha Inchi. Thanks!

7. wendy green says:

i like the taste of flax oil…but stopped using it. from my understanding, it is the most volatile of all plant based oils and goes rancid quickly. i know, you are supposed to keep it in the frig….but how long was it unrefrigerated before it got to the store and then to the house?

i used to grind flax seed fresh and make a “cereal”…but stopped that after you came to visit us and turned us on to chia. we have been using chia exclusively the last 3+ years (was it really that long ago since you were here?

like you, i eat bottle oils sparingly. i am doing my very best to keep my food sources local. what did our natural forefathers due before bottled oil? or were they chronically deficient in omega 3’s?

8. KC says:

Hemp seeds anyone? As far as I know they contain all the essential amino acids and the essential fatty acids in an almost perfect ratio.

9. Ronn says:

I don’t mind the taste of flax oil, but I quit using it a long time ago. My preferred source for omega 3 is chia seeds. Do a web search and you’ll find that chia Seeds and oil naturally contain more than 60% Omega-3 fatty acid per 100 grams; this is the highest percentage of Omega-3 of any commercially available source. Compare to Flax 54.6, Hemp 19.9 and Evening Primrose 0.4. Chia seeds are incredibly high in many other nutrients as well. Check out Angela Stokes’ Chia Cheat Sheet. (http://www.rawreform.com/content/view/345/127/)

Every morning I make a pint-size bottle of Chia Fresca: 2 TBS of chia seeds, juice of a lime or half a lemon, a bit of stevia (or the sweetener of your choice). Add to the bottle of water, shake it up well for a few minutes, and drink throughout the day for super nutrition and sustained energy. Some people don’t like the gelatinous texture of Chia Fresca, but it grows on you. My family and I love it!

English walnuts are also a great source of omega 3.

10. Bob Harrison says:

My question of the day is, Have you ever been
    privy to Dr Williams own blood test results?
    If they were favorable I might consider adding
    sacha inchi oil to my diet. Sorry if this has
    been covered previously.

11. Anna21 says:

Another way to get Omega 3’s from plant sources is to grow purslane. It may not replace the sacha inchi oil, but it’s a nice addition to your regimen & can be used in salads & smoothies.

12. Rebecca D says:

Are you also including flax seeds when you talk about flax oil?

13. cid says:

Good question Bob. I have often wondered about Dr. Williams test results also

14. Daniel Bushnell says:

Thanks for addressing this very important issue. I’ve two questions —
    1. How do you know for certain that your Sacha Inchi oil is not rancid? Most omega-3’s are very unstable, from all I’ve read and been able to ascertain. Flax supposedly goes rancid within 18 minutes of having the shell pierced. Do you have any tests supporting the stability of your product?

The most stable plant-based Omega-3 product I know of comes from the Clary Sage seed. I have lots of research on this product — and it’s been tested and proven shelf-stable for 2 years at room temperature.

2. If one is reasonably healthy, do you feel that taking ALA alone will allow us to get enough EPA and DHA through natural conversion? I’m not convinced nature intended us to get high doses of EPA in an isolated form.

Thanks for your answers.

Daniel

15. Karen says:

I found a great blend of Chia seeds that has: 3,000mg Omega-3s, 5g fiber (soluble and insoluble), 3g protein, antioxidants and phytonutrients. Study done on it compared it to the top 9 chia seeds and it was the best: http://home.lifemax.net/mila-research-video
    See what you think!
    More info on it: Why it’s more expensive… There are very few companies like Lifemax® within our industry that have the desire or the ability to control their supply chain from farm to table. From fields around the globe to tables and pantries around the world, the seed that becomes Mila is subject to the highest-quality standards and industry practices known today. Mila is meticulously cultivated, harvested, cleaned, transported, processed and packaged under the strict quality control and watchful eye of Lifemax at every stage. Strict government inspection and independent laboratory analysis ensure that 100% of what is on the Mila package is also in the Mila package, nothing added, nothing taken away, just 100% of the most nutrient-dense, efficacious, quality-assured Salvia hispanica L. that nature can grow, and Lifemax can perfect.

Thanks for all you do, I really appreciate ALL the information!

16. Sayward says:

I’m not seeing a “3 for the price of 1″ special? I see 4 for the price of 3, and a discount if you buy 2, but no 3 for the price of 1. Was that a typo? Or are they sold out already?

17. Jan Kent Knutsen says:

I live in Norway, and here chia seeds are 20 times more expensive than flax seeds.That is the reason I use grinded flax seeds. Sacha inchi oil will be far too expensive here, because of high shipping costs, unbelievable high taxes and customs. An example: I bought some wheat grass powder from USA, cost $ 90. Cost for customs and tax to get it into Norway: $120! So can you tell me where I can get a good price on chia seeds?

18. Ron says:

Kevin,

You may find this link helpful concerning Flax”:

19. Patrick says:

chia seeds rock, they are tasty, creamy, and weigh in with a 2:1 ratio in favor of omega 3…my all time omega 3 fave.

I have 50+ grams of grinded chia seed per day and am thriving!! (tho i mix em up with flax for the variety) cant recommend them enough.

20. josh says:

Pregnant Women Consuming Flaxseed Oil Have High Risk Of Premature Birth

“A study has found that the risks of a premature birth quadruple if flaxseed oil is consumed in the last two trimesters of pregnancy. The research was conducted by Professor Anick Bérard of the Université de Montréal’s Faculty of Pharmacy and the Sainte-Justine Hospital Research Center and Master’s student Krystel Moussally”

“The correlation existed only with flaxseed oil, yet women consuming the actual seed were unaffected. Even if more studies must be undertaken to verify these results, Bérard recommends caution when it comes to consuming flaxseed oil”

21. Kat says:

I don’t really care for the taste of flax on it’s own, and prefer the ground seeds over the oil. We use chia in our daily smoothies. In the summer we have an abundance of purslane in growing in our community garden plot!

22. Tara Dubarr says:

Kevin:
    Are you going to cover the thyroid-flax issue you referred to a few days ago? That would be very helpful. Cyanide?

Thank you!

23. Carley says:

Like others have asked, how about chia seeds?? Also, do you eat animal products?

24. HawaiiAna says:

I like (liked) the taste of a good quality flax oil. It’s rich and nutty, goes very well with veggies in any salad. In order to get the best quality possible I even got an oil exctractor attachement to my Samson juicer (its not good and I don’t recommend it).
    Then right around the same time I heard that flax oil isn’t the best source at all (from dr. Mercola, I believe, but not only him ). In fact, none of the plant sources even come close to animal ones, like cold fish oil and krill oil. So I stopped consuming flaxseed oil…

25. Laurie says:

Sayward, it must be a typo because obviously 3 for the price of one is a whole lot less costly than a “discount on two”, so when I saw the “discount on two” phrase next I figured that the 3 for 1 price had to be a typo. Oh well……I’ve been wanting to try the raw nuts (well, technically “seeds”) but the price on them is out of this world too…

26. Carley says:

Also, what are your thoughts on Sacha Inchi Powder? http://www.sunfood.com/sacha-inchi-protein-powder-8-oz-organic.html

27. Sarah says:

So, like everyone else, what is the omega breakdown of chia seeds? Have you done al the research on *all* sources of omega 3 sources? How can sach inchi be far more superior than other sources to warrant such an expensive price? More info would be welcomed before I make such a purchase! Thanks

28. RobG says:

I use a flax oil (Barleans .Omega Man) blended into cottage cheese (google search this – it is therapuetic) with a little ground flax seed and berries and some unblended cottage cheese (Nancy’s). Taste is addictive! And is like intravenous injection of omega 3.

29. David says:

Thanks,
    would you compare sacha inchi with chia seed. The nutrition profile of chia is very impressive, and the anti inflammatory properties are quite good.

30. marc says:

I first heard professor Brian Peskin on oneradionetwork. He makes a really strong argument for more omega 6 in our diet by way of the parent essential oil. He said taking omega 6 or omega 3 derivatives (fish, krill) is not the best route to go, and can even be toxic. I think you should get him on as a guest. When I first heard him speak, I thought he was arrogant.. .but the more I dug into his material, the more convinced I was that his findings are accurate. He is very scientific and results oriented. He can back up his findings, unlike most of the health gurus out there.

31. Jes says:

By far the best omega supplement I’ve ever taken is Green Pastures fermented Cod Liver Oil. Not plant based but truly awesome.

32. carolyn says:

My flax and chia are part of my fiber besides my oil.. so in always have them ground.. same benefit ..?

Coconut oil question? and fish oils? Fermented cod liver oil?
    Thanks Kev!!!

33. LynnCS says:

I just bought a lot of chia because I did a lot of study. Hope I am doing the right thing. It helps with the digestive issues. Soaked first to make gel is the best way for me. I add to my daily smoothie. Need to stay away from added oil for now. My good cholesterol is low, but the best way to take care that is exercise, I hear. That will be my choice for now. Next tests will tell me if I am doing the right thing, I guess. It gets so confusing as you sell new and different things that may well be good, but not necessary, I believe, to keep switching. I see that hemp seed and flax seed oil are acidifying fats. That’s off the list then. There’re many things to take into consideration when adding anything to our diet.

Thanks again. Kevin for opening up this discussion.

34. Louis Hoolae says:

Here is an article on hemp protein and hemp oil.
    Perhaps some insight can be gained from it.

WHY HEMP PROTEIN and HEMP OIL IS THE NATURAL CHOICE….. The hemp plant is not only one of the oldest cultivated plants, it is also one of the most versatile, valuable, and controversial plants known to man. The industrial hemp plant has a long history, which has proven its innate worth and its stalks and seeds can serve as raw material for an exciting array of many diverse products.
    Hemp protein and hemp oil which comes from the seed, is an all-in-one package of quality vegetarian protein, healthy fibre, enzymes and what are called “Essential Fats”. These are fats that actually help your body burn stored fat! Not to mention balance your hormones, boost your immune system and basically help your body to function at it’s best. Hemp protein is the perfect high performance vegetarian whole food. It is easily digested with no enzyme inhibitors and can be substituted into any diet. Hemp protein contains all the essential amino acids.
    Of the 3 million edible plants that grow on Earth, no other single plant source can compare with the nutritional value of hemp seeds. Both the complete protein and the essential oils contained in hemp seeds are in ideal ratios for human nutrition. Sixty five percent of the protein content in hemp seed is in the form of globulin edestin, so that it can actually be used by the body in the raw state (unlike that in soybeans, which have to be cooked or sprouted to be edible). (The word edestin comes from the Greek “edestos”, meaning, edible.) The major portion of the protein profile is Edestin, found only in hemp, which aids digestion and is considered the backbone of our cell’s DNA. Out of all the vegetable kingdom, hemp protein has the closest resemblance to our human protein profile.
    The hemp seed is the richest source of Essential Fatty Acids (EFA’s) in the plant kingdom. Hemp seed is recognized as a complete balanced vegetarian source of Amino Acids; Essential Fatty Acids (EFA’s); natural anti-oxidants, vitamins, minerals, fiber and chlorophyll. Hemp seed oil contains 54.4% linoleic acid (Omega-6), 18.3% linolenic acid (Omega-3), 2-5% gamma-linolenic acid (GLA) and 1-2% stearonic acid. Essential fatty acids in nutritional oils like hemp govern growth, vitality and state of mind. LA and LNA are involved in transferring oxygen from the air in the lungs to every cell in the body. They play a part in holding oxygen in the cell membrane where it acts as a barrier in invading viruses and bacteria, neither of which thrive in the presence of oxygen.
    The essential fatty acids in hemp have been shown to aid in everything from balancing hormones and strengthening the immune system, to promoting glowing skin and hair! Add to this the blood-sugar balancing effect of complete and balanced, cholesterol-free protein, and you have a “super-food” for the whole body!
    Recognized by the World Health Organization as a powerful antioxidant and a balanced source of Omega 3-6-9 Essential Fatty Acids – the building blocks of our biology and an important factor in energy production – Hemp Seed Oil is a perfect combination of nature and technology. Science has shown that North Americans have a high dietary deficiency in Essential Fatty Acids due to the widespread consumption of processed foods, low or no fat diets, and meat products, rather than raw organic foods. Hemp Seed Oil is a perfect source of the missing elements of a modern diet, but also contains the powerful enzyme lipase, which can improve circulatory health by removing undigested protein and cholesterol buildup from arteries and cell membranes.
    All hemp protein is not created equal. When you purchase hemp protein, you have to be extra careful that it has quality control in production. That means that it has not turned rancid, not turned moldy, not irradiated and must be 100% certified organic in order to receive the full benefits of it’s nutritive value.
    Request our Educational Health package: LeadingEdgeHealth@shaw.ca
    Hemp oil can be obtained from: http://www.ProvenHealthSolutions.net
    Las Vegas, NV branch or our Canadian branch.

35. Selina says:

Professor Brian Peskin sounds like it would surely make one interesting guest. There is so much we don’t know about these oils, any information is helpful.

I myself eat hemp oil, so far so good :)

36. Patrick says:

All rancidity issues with plant based omega 3 oils are resolved if you grind the seeds first (i use a budget coffee grinder, works perfectly with no real hassle). In general this has got to be the way to go folks!!

On the other hand I still reckon all fresh omega 3 oils to be highly beneficial for health.

Remember Charlotte Gerson’s cancer video on this site? Flax oil was the only oil allowed on Dr. Gerson’s cancer program as it was found to shrink tumors, not grow them, unlike all other oils… that has got to be a sign of a first class health product. Not for everyone at all times, but in general flax has still got to be a winner.

I’m left wondering whether chia oil or sancha inchi oil would have the same effect on tumors… my guess would be they probably would, but that’s just my guess (I’m assuming that the high omega 3 content is the key factor in shrinking tumors rather than any other properties flax oil might possess)

I would always recommend chia seed as it works so well for me. It has no lingans, is nearly as high as flax for omega 3, and is very high in quality protein, vitamins, minerals, and anti-oxidants.

37. Leam says:

Used flax years ago but stopped because of the taste. Just recently started again and now seems more palatable. Feeling really great and energized so must be making some difference. Don’t know the number breakdown but really love purslane for omegas and for taste…best of all grows free and wild in the garden!

38. Tina says:

I agree with some of the readers about Purslane. It grows abundantly and supplies all the needed Omegas. Much cheaper and easier to obtain, also the taste is pleasant.

39. Chris Wark says:

Kevin I think it’s really great that you are willing to admit your mistakes and aren’t hung up on the raw vegan dogma.

I was 100% raw vegan for the first 90 days of my chemo-free cancer battle back in 2004, but added clean meats back into my diet after my naturopath recommended it. He conducted a very thorough analysis of my blood, urine, saliva, stool, and hair. And modified my diet based on my metabolic type and physiological needs.
    I certainly wasn’t hung up on dogma, I just wanted to live!

So my diet was 80% raw from then on, my health continued to improve and my body healed itself.

The 100% raw vegan diet is a very powerful short-term detoxification diet, but can be detrimental in the long run for its lack of fats and protein.

40. Char says:

Isn’t it lignans..not lingans?

41. Sue says:

I was wondering as well about hemp oil. It it supposed to have the correct ratio of omega 3 6 and 9.

42. Patricia Gran says:

I am leery of any oils that have to be refrigerated. I don’t know if that is the case with sacha inchi oil.
    Our ancestors ate clean meats & fish. Clean is a very key word. It must be grass fed AND grass finished, hormone & antibiotic free. Fish MUST be wild caught from clean water sources.
    I love chia and use it regularly. But still the conversion to EPA & DHA is just not sufficient in plant sources.
    Coconut Oil is a great source of medium chain fatty acids with tremendous health benifits – but not the omegas.
    avocados:
    Omega-9 Omega-6 Omega-3
    MUFA (oleate) Linoleate a-linolenate 72 9 0.5

The benefits of avocados are fantastic, which is why balance is important. Rather than eliminate avocados, consider eliminating more grains, seeds & nuts. All of which have anti nutrient/digestion issues. Incorporate more leafy greens and healthy/clean sources of animal proteins/fats.

43. Michael says:

Hi!

I agree with flax being good most of the times. It has been used to fight cancer in the gerson therapie and in the budwig diet. In the budwig diet it was also used to heal other diseases.
    However i find the info from Professor Brian Peskin very interessting. Kevin could you comment on his info, or make an interview with him?

Thanks for your work!
    Michael

44. Susan E Roth says:

I have to step in here for a moment and address the question of “what did our forefathers do for Omega 3 oils? The answer is they did not eat a vegan raw food diet. They got their Omega 3’s from good animal sources such as fish, butter, eggs. I think your goals of living a total raw vegan life style is admirable, I do not think it is the healthiest way, but to each their own, and I wish you all luck in getting the proper amounts of the Omega 3’s in your diet. There are no “forefathers” who lived this way.
    Respectfully, Susan

45. Sometimes watching tv can open up a new world! I like documentaries and also some of the more ‘braindead’ humorous shows – its like saying that internet is all bad and we know it isnt dont we:)
    BUT! Yes, started watching Breaking Bad when it came out and I got hooked for a while till i woke up a little and got sick of all the misery the show portraits. But then again, I LOVE watching Dexter and theres plenty of misery there! :D

46. I do not know how it happened, but that previous post got posted in the wrong wrong place!

47. [...] wrote about some of the anti-nutrient properties of flax yesterday (here) to help you understand why flax may not be the best option for [...]

48. Kevin Hill says:

I would definitely not consume “lightly roasted” Sacha Inchi Seeds. I ate 1 oz of them and I started to feel an extremely mild nausea. This is not good and it is a big deal because I’m highly intuitive and I listen to my body. If I get an uncomfortable feeling, I know that something is out of sorts. I did the same thing with Agave before Mercola came out with the article. I knew something was wrong with it. I’m predicting that we will start hearing about the rancidity or toxicity of the oils in sacha inchi lightly roasted seeds. The brand I had was Savi Seed from Sequel. Living a lifestyle as a raw vegan bodybuilder has upped my energy, strength and mental clarity. However, the next morning at the gym my performance was so sub-par after eating the sacha inchi seeds from the night before that I left early. I didn’t have the strength I normally have and felt like I could, If continuing to push myself, Pass out. I’m betting that my predictions will come true that the discovery that lightly roasted sacha inchi seeds are not healthy for optimizing our overall well-being.

49. pe says:

I question most oils, and all oils with high omega-3s, notoriously rancidifying.
    Once again, for those not informed, the Linoleic Acid (omega-6, 18:2, LA) and Alpha-Linolenic acid(omega-3, 18:3, AL) of 3 foods:
    flax chia coconut oil
    LA 5.90 23.67 1.8
    AL 22.81 17.83 0
    Flax seed is 42% oil, cold-pressed flax oil 14.33% LA, 53.37% AL.
    Sacha inchi seeds are 35-60% oil; the oil is 36% LA, 48% AL.
    Hemp seeds are 44% oil; the oil is 55% LA, 22% AL.
    Purslane’s a good veg, though high in (eek!) oxalic acid. Flax is best. Gerson liked flax. Lignans seem to be good for you. Sesame has lignans too. So it goes.
    If flax frightens you, or soy, or whatever, question the wisdom of the fearmongers.
    And yes, s-i has nowt to do with peanuts, a roasted legume high in acrylamide. It’s in the Euphorbia family. Even the orders are different.