If You’re Hungry for Change and Need to Be Touch-ed, Here are Two Things to Watch Today

Monday Mar 5 | BY |

earthquake berkeley hungry for change
Very small earthquakes are like crude, scary alarm clocks.

Got up early this morning (5:33 to be exact), thanks to Mother Nature’s Northern California wake up call

The first jolt woke me up and then the second was strong enough for me to tell Ann to get on the floor next to the bed with me just in case.

This was not the first time I felt a quake, but it was the first time that I did anything to attempt to shield myself or someone around me.

Coming from the North East U.S., the first couple of times I felt them I just sat in awe — not moving or protecting myself at all. Now after, feeling 4-5, the novelty has worn off and the seriousness has set in.

Luckily, this quake was not anything big and there are only a few reports of broken glass and fallen chimney bricks. I did see a motor scooter tipped over on my walk to the gym, but that could have been from a drunk student out late last night as much as from the earth shaking.

After working out, I came back to the house to read the news and was actually surprised to see it had become national event. There were already hundreds of articles around the web from all sources — even with interviews of people who felt it.

The Internet is fast and it’s histrionic. There’s nothing funny about earthquakes, but there is something curious about the amount of news coverage around the world for such a — locally — non-event.

I guess it’s what people want to read about, otherwise they wouldn’t publish it. (I guess, I’m contributing to it too by telling my story now!)

Anyway, just a snippet of my life, now on to what I can do for you.

Today, I have two things I’d love for you to watch…

One is free and the other is $2.99 on Amazon On Demand (yes, it’s a TV show… gasp!) — and worth every penny.

Let’s go with the free first…

Last week, I mentioned a free screening of a new documentary called “Hungry for Change” that starts on the 21st of March and lasts 10 days…

This week…

I’m going to mention it again!

The reason why is because for me, it’s important to point out lesson in actions speak louder than words.

The film is produced from the same people who brought you “Food Matters.”

What I like about the whole thing is that they’re willing to share their most recent project — for free — for a short period of time.

Knowing what it’s like to make a documentary film (I have two close friends who’ve done it) and what it costs, I have to say that releasing it with a free screening leaves a very obvious clue to their true motivation — to really reach people.

Remember, actions speak louder than words.

I’ve heard dozens of health experts talk about changing the world, but when they’re approached to get behind something that will actually change the world they shrink up real small — or worse they ask “what’s in it for me?”

Their words were small. Actions smaller.

In this case, James and Laurentine (co-producers) are talking big and acting big by actually giving people a chance to get this much needed information during this world-wide, online release.

I think it’s a cool concept and I also think I’m glad to be aligned with them to assist in spreading the word about their work. It’s refreshing to know that by spreading this message to you, you might then pass it along to someone else who’s never encountered the type of information we already know about health — and that they can watch this documentary (at no cost.)

Possibly changing their lives.

Fantastic stuff.

Here’s the trailer if you want to watch it now…

And to sign up to watch the full length film starting on March 21st, just click here!

Now on to the $2.99 — and worth it…

A weekend ago, we went to the San Francisco Tea Festival at the Ferry Building.

I got a coupon for a few discounted tickets on Google Offers and we decided to make a day of it.

While there, we met up with our friend Jason — who’s a certified tea nut — and walked about the dozen or so booths. The event was small, but it was the first year and as light as the crowd was, the teas were very good.

We decided to head over to the Plant Cafe — a healthy food (vegetarian / vegan / some meat options) place about 2-3 blocks away for lunch.

During our meal, we started talking about TV shows.

Now, I have to admit, since settling down over the last year in Berkeley and getting a TV to watch football on Sundays (the first TV we’ve owned in 5 years), we’ve slipped a bit from our usual no-TV routine.

What does this mean?

It means we’ve become consumerist zombies — just kidding.

It means, for me at least, that I’ve learned the power of taking a little break.

We’ve only watched a few shows. One is Impractical Jokers, a modern candid camera, meathead type show that gives me fits of laughter. The other, Breaking Bad — a drama about a high school chemistry teacher who turns into a meth dealer to pay for his cancer treatments. (If only he knew what we did about natural health.)

Anyway, I’m not recommending those shows to you, since chances are (1) you will be shocked at my choice of entertainment and (2) it might cloud your decision to watch what I’m about to recommend to you now.

While we were chatting, Jason mentioned he watched the pilot of a new show called “Touch.”

It’s about a young boy who doesn’t speak, but sees mathematical patterns that can predict what is about to happen.

I thought it sounded clever enough to give it a go and last night we finally got a chance to watch it.

I’ve never publicly recommended any TV shows, but I think — if you’re anything like Ann or I — you’ll really appreciate this show.

Particularly, if you feel like there’s always a little bit more to a coincidence than it’s random appearance.

As I was watching it, I couldn’t help but think that Bruce Lipton was on the screenwriting advisory board. It’s like “What The Bleep” meets “24” (without the excessive violence.)

Here’s a trailer…

And here’s where you can watch the first episode on Amazon: Click here!

Good news is when you watch on Amazon, you don’t have to watch any crappy commercials! Totally worth the 3 bucks to avoid brainwashing.

BTW: The series starts the end of March, so if you get hooked like I did, then you won’t have to wait long for episode #2.

Your question of the day: Is TV all bad, or does it have some redeeming qualities?

1. Don says:

My wife and I sat transfixed watching the preview of the first episode back in January. Looks like a fascinating show.

2. Lynette says:

TV is fine if it does not hinder you from doing things that you wish you had done instead of watching TV. This is my problem right now. I’d rather watch TV (favorite shows) than do what I want to be doing like painting new canvases, or working on a mandolin or guitar, or a pet portrait. Or going through one of the self teaching programs I have on DVD that are waiting for me to get with it. I want to help people heal, so my DVD programs are all concerning that topic.

3. Jenn says:

The link to sign up to watch the full movie was not active. Is this still available?

4. Chris says:

Don’t feel bad. Breaking Bad is one of the best shows ever to be on Television. I am a mostly raw vegan, don’t use meth, and still enjoy good television. Thanks for the advice. I will take a look at Touch.

5. Joan says:

the link to sign up for “hungry for change” is not working…

regarding TV – I get a LOT more accomplished when I leave it off…LOL!!!

6. Kuru says:

In case anyone’s looking for the listing on Fox, it doesn’t premier until Monday, March 19.

7. Dodie says:

I believe there are some tv shows that can open your mind…. and it is important to choose what we put into our mind…maybe even more than what we put into our bodies!
    Thanks for sharing! Looks interesting!

8. I loved it. Sounds interesting. I find TV relaxing after giving a lot of energy and working hard all day. I have quality time with my husband, and totally unwind. Sometimes I learn new wonderful things, like American Masters. Other times I exercise my imagination deeply.
    For me it is part of a balanced diet. I don’t think everyone should, nor do I think no one should. It is like friends: pick carefully, junk in will mean junk out. And like someone above shared, it does take time away from other endeavors. Balance and your time of life, really matter.

9. Sueann says:

I am a PBSer, Public Broadcast System, and I find many worthwhile programs, educational, informative, and spiritual on my PBS channels. I also recorded a raw cooking show on it. So, yes, TV can be a useful vehicle is used and not abused.

10. Bo says:

There are several shows on now that I enjoy. All to do with coincidence, paranormal, or just thought provoking. Television is like anything else. It can be good or not. Don`t throw the baby out with the bathwater. and a DVR keeps the crappy commercials at bay.

11. Carol W. says:

We only watch the NFL channel, but I was deeply saddened by the scandal of getting paid to hurt someone. This has made me re-think watching the NFL at all.

12. reallifeuniverse says:

this one scene with the boy is stolen from the movie. wheere johnny depp and leo di carprio playing together. and leo is climbing on the highest buidlings. he also nearly speaks. this kind of movies come and go its a deep human ned for this spiritual questions. maybe it contact, the contact robert zemtris. or how h is called or may it be this other movies the gift. or the village or there is a lot movies like this? or be im wrong. its sad i think this kind of biasing miracles will bring you awayfrom real life miracles. its a trance a hypnotizing way to tell miracles. real clear reality miracles are maybe more painful also they are real so they sustain.

13. First large earthquake in this place. Comforting to know the sounds the house makes during one. Best to go to door jam during a big one, not the floor. Old neighbors used to run outside in front yard where live wires could fall. Safer in back yard no live wires.
    Also good to have food and water on hand for such emergencies.
    TV in small doses. Post art school days we had the TV wrapped up like Christo. View art not TV.

14. reallifeuniverse says:

this movie wil make me a adrenal fatigue LOL its abit stressy with the exciting music the loudnes. and its violent in its DRAMA way. in its unreal illusionary style.

15. Jane says:

The preview will re-air 3-15 at 9:00 on Fox

16. Ali Minasian says:

Wow, that was a powerful trailer. The link didn’t work for me either, but I’m going to go directly to their site to see if there is a place to sign up there. Thank you for sharing!

17. Britt says:

We own a tv but do not have it hooked up to cable or even basic channels. If there is a good documentary or movie that we want to watch, we connect our computers to the tv so that the screen is large enough for multiple people to watch at once. We are also watching Breaking Bad…it is my not-so-guilty pleasure. My husband used to be a HUGE TV junkie and he says it is the best show he has ever seen.

18. Ileana says:

Thank you for this info!
    Television is like a knife…you know…can be useful or destructive. So is the Internet and television is a marvelous information tool. ( …may I…?) Check the History Channel from time to time, just as an example. Not having a TV is throwing the baby with the bath water.

19. Karen says:

I admit to loving a bit of Breaking Bad too! I love shows that sneak up and surprise you. Breaking Bad falls into that category – very clever writing, a whole other world. Will look out for Touch in Australia. Food Matters changed my life, so I can’t wait for the Hungry for Change preview. I certainly look forward to the change in the way people view our food. I feel like I am in the minority – like I am speaking a foreign language to most people. Keep educating me Kev – I’m loving it!

20. Rebecca Cody says:

Now they tell us not to get into the door jamb, but under a sturdy table instead. However, my massage therapist and I huddled in the door to his office in the last big one to hit Olympia. I think it was 6.9 or 7. It’s amazing how many thoughts raced through my mind as we watched the plaster open and close, and felt the old 4-story building sway and leap.

I guess I’d have to say I prefer an earthquake to a tornado.

Yes, TV influences so many people that we do need great programs, and there are some on now that are worth watching.

21. Brianna says:

Both look great!

22. Angela says:

A little tv can be relaxing. I don’t watch a lot, there are a few shows I like to watch to wind down before bed each week. Commercials are definately something to watch out for, but a tv program is not reality, and can be just for fun. Just a story line acted out, not to change my perspective on my reality.

23. George says:

Food addictions and the the way the “hidden persuaders” make us want more of it is not a new story, but we sheep are still not hearing the warning. How can the food industry and the “food chemists” be brought to account? How do you educate the masses to stop trusting the glossy ads on the television screens and the billboards? We have to start with the children before the bad eating habits get started, and that means also getting into the schools with the good nutrition message. Not easy, but essential.

Is Television bad? Most of it,yes. From my view of the USA scene (and your programs do appear too frequently on the Australian channels)it leaves much to be desired. I sometimes catch the closing scene of “Bold and Beautiful” before the beginning of the News report. This is commercial television, a scourge of our times. I hit the mute button every time the commericals start. What a load of “offensive term” rubbish, with junk food in the mix! For this reason I only watch the news mainly for the latest weather report, and even the weather man I consider is acting like a low-grade moron on amphetamines! It is all part of commercial television. So most of my viewing is on the less hysterical SBS network and of carefully selected documentaries, occasionally a film. Yet here again I am annoyed by the interruption by the commercial breaks. Thank Goodness for the ABC, even if the reception is not always A1. Television can be another time-wasting addiction, but can be informative if you remain in control. I remember in Ray Bradbury’s “The Pedestrian” a man was arrested for walking at night on the street. All his neighbours were indoors watching their television screens and being “entertained”.

24. Paula says:

Kevin, thanks much for the tip about Hungry for Change. Hopefully, it is a sign of the times that mainstream tv is featuring stuff like this more and more.

25. Anna21 says:

I gave my tv away years ago. Youtube is my ‘tv’. I have learned how to garden, grow sprouts, make some raw grain free desserts (grains do not agree with me), make green smoothies, exercise and more. I love youtube, & the wonderful folks like you that share so much good info.

Having said that, I do have the occasional guilty pleasure tv show. I like ‘Once Upon A Time’ (appeals to both the romantice & cynic in me) and The Apprentice/ Celebrity Apprentice.

A great show that was cancelled a couple of years ago was ‘Breakthrough’ by Tony Robbins. It was a reality show about families in crisis that find a way to transform their pain into power. You can catch the old episodes on youtube. It’s such a shame that crap like the Housewives & Jersy Shore, which glorify stupidity & cat fights stay on the air, & an amazing show like ‘Breakthrough’ was cancelled.

As for documentaries, check out ‘Fresh’which celebrates people that are re-inventing our food system. I just hope the next food documentary that comes out focuses on ethical fair trade food, with some high raw folks in the mix, like Kev & AnnMarie.

26. Heather says:

Aww that Touch looks fascinating. I went to try to purchase a view and it said that it was only available to people with a US credit card and address. Sigh. I am in Canada.
    I don’t have a TV either but was jazzed that I thought I could watch it through my Computer.
    Wonder how long it will be before we get to see it.

27. Kurt says:

“The Medium is the message” – Marshall McLuhan, “Understanding Media”, 1964

Television forces the viewer into a passive state that is oversensitive to imagery and emotion, and undersensitive to logic and analysis. It is particularly damaging to young brains whose wiring is particularly plastic.

The mass media is run by half a dozen supra-national corporations who are required to be amoral in their pursuit of money – mostly through advertizing. Consequently, all TV programming (PBS included) to a greater or lesser degree is designed to program the viewer to support their owners’ goals. If our goals of awareness of reality, true history, science, health, philosophy, or personal spiritual growth ever seem to be met there (TV) you can be sure that that benefit comes at least with McLuhan’s cost.

There is, unfortunately, no laid-back, easy-chair road to what we need to be truly good to, and happy with, ourselves, our loved ones, or our community. You have to be selective about what media you allow, when, to whom – shunning the boob-tube. If you insist on being entertained passively, at least filter the ads, and play the program on your own schedule.

What do I do? I don’t have a TV and never miss it. I find what I want to read online with search engines, and I download or order the books and videos that I want to read and watch offline. Online, I use the AdBlock browser add-on to minimize ads. Offline, I have a life with important ideas, real people and real activities.

28. Barbara says:

Hey Kevin….the link for the sign up isn’t working. Great article tho….and thanks for the trailers.

29. I’ve signed up for the freebie, looking forward to it 🙂
    Touch seems just like my kind of show. I’ll have to watch now too 🙂
    The only TV show I watch is Glee. It’s funny and really inspirational and makes you feel good.

30. Selene says:

Ove your response, Kurt.

31. Jackie says:

Hungry for Change link doesn’t work.

32. June says:

In Australia, we did get the “Breaking Bad” program albeit very late in the evening. Absolutely fabulous dark humour, riveting and
    deliciously funny. Would watch again, no problem. Good taste, Kevin.
    Regards from Down Under

33. Velda says:

Well, I’m not sure we could classify TV as either good or bad. However, how we utilize it might be able to be classified as a good use or a bad use. I can see that Jason would like this kind of program. I think Keifer Sutherland is great – but I’m not sure this program is my “cup of tea” . However, I’ll have to watch it to find out.

Today I listened to Annmarie’s interview with Shawn Stevenson. I love Shawn and was delighted he was interviewing her. It was a great interview. I think Annmarie’s skin care is the best out there.

Thanks, Kevin. This was an interesting and entertaining article.

34. LynnCS says:

Kevin. I laugh at your ‘newbie’ report of the earthquake. Yes, they are nothing to sneeze at, but mostly they go on a lot without any damage to speak of. This was a small one, but it gets media attention because it’s San Fran. Lots of history in that area.

I signed up for “hungry for change.” Thank you for recommending it. Looking forward to it.

I saw the preview showing of “Touch” on TV and was so impressed that I have my phone calendar set to make sure I don’t miss it. I love it!! If the whole show goes as good as that first one, it will be dynamite. The kid is awsome. The story line is awsome. Sutherland does a good job, but is the same as he is in most of his parts. Good. Most importantly it’s intelligent and makes the viewer think. That’s part of the reason I think it may not last. Seems like the things that last are gruel. It takes a lot to impress me with a movie or a TV show. Not to say I don’t watch TV, cause I do. I just don’t get very excited or attached to many shows. This one already deserves an award, it you ask me. Glad you like it too. I hope it stays as good as the first one.

35. Christina Dodson says:

Kevin,

PLEASE – PLEASE watch this if you haven’t already. It’s TOTALLY scary, but this guy quotes it as scientific fact. SERIOS STUFF HERE…

Christina

36. Larry says:

We’re into the ghost shows on the Travel Channel.
    They have one called The Dead Files.
    It’s where a retired police detective teams up with a Medium and they go to places that are haunted.
    Very interesting…and scary.
    TV can be good and bad, you have to be selective (that’s subjective I guess) and shut it off many times.
    Oh yeah…on the Famnet channel they have a doctor – Dr Becker – who talks about nutrition and supplements.

37. Janice Green says:

Kevin,

Just watched Touch. WOW, What a great show! I don’t own a TV but there are quality productions and Touch is one of them. Keifer is top notch.

I am that smart and terrible at math but I always felt everything was interconnected and we are all much more powerful than we can imagine.

Thanks for sharing your personal interests.

38. Janice Green says:

Heather,

Fox will let you watch the full episode 8 days after the broadcast.

For those of us without TVs:

Season 1 | Clip: 120
    If you don’t have a TV provider you can watch full episodes on FOX.com 8 days after the airdate.

39. Penny says:

PLEASE PUBLISH ANOTHER LINK TO HUNGRY FOR CHANGE
    thanks.

40. Jan says:

Netflix Streaming offers Breaking Bad and many other television shows sans commercials.

41. Geoffrey Campbell says:

I agree with you about the show. It is the only show that I like, the only show I watch. There is something enchanting about it, in fact I find it a feel-good, fascinating show.

42. MARLENE says:

PLEASE FIX LINK FOR FOOD FOR CHANGE. THANK YOU.

43. kitten says:

Hi Kevin

I am completely on board with your two recommendations.
    Here is one for you and your audience. You just have to see it…

44. Catherine says:

I watch a little PBS. I also watch “Your Health with Dr. Richard and Cindy Becker” on Family Net HD; it’s extremely informative.
    Blessings,
    Catherine

45. I tried watching it on Amazon but it’s for US ppl only.

46. OMAR says:

Mainstream TV will never touch on real phenomena. 318 is a junk number. The real number is 137, look into it, Carl Jung wrote a book on it. I also see a parallel with the movie “Knowing”, a must see movie!

47. Cindy says:

That was a great trailer. I love shows that really make you think. While I occasionally used to watch a good TV show, right now both of my TVs are on the blink, so I haven’t watched TV in months, & I really don’t miss it. I don’t even know how I had the time before because I am so busy during the day, that I am actually falling asleep by 8:00 & sometimes earlier. My grandkids (age 6 & 7) live with me, & they’ve rarely watched TV since they were born. They don’t even question it. It’s just what they’re used to. And just so no one thinks I’m an ogre, they do watch an occasional kid friendly animated movie, or they go to the theater once in a while. I actually think they enjoy it more since it’s not all the time. And both of them are very creative with their time. They play games, play dress up, read books, build puzzles, put on plays, do crafts, rollerskate, help cook, & a lot of other things that they wouldn’t have time for if they did nothing but watch TV.

48. Sometimes watching tv can open up a new world! I like documentaries and also some of the more ‘braindead’ humorous shows – its like saying that internet is all bad and we know it isnt dont we:)
    BUT! Yes, started watching Breaking Bad when it came out and I got hooked for a while till i woke up a little and got sick of all the misery the show portraits. But then again, I LOVE watching Dexter and theres plenty of misery there!