What Are Your Feet Telling You? Tap Into The Wisdom of Your Feet for Lasting Healing : Exclusive Renegade Health Interview

Thursday Feb 23 | BY |

Can your feet tell you things about your health that even your doctor won’t catch?

Today, I have a special interview guest that I’ve been wanting to have on for a long time…

I met her at an event a few years ago and we reconnected in New York over the winter.

Dr. Sherri Greene is a classically trained podiatrist (foot doctor), but she’s really so much more.

In this interview, she’s going to explain to you how changing your feet can literally (physically and emotionally) change your life.

Yes, it’s powerful.

Here’s where you can listen to Part 1 of my interview with Dr. Sherri Greene (my thoughts in writing follow)…

dr sherri greene holisitic foot doctor

Click the play button to start the call:

Download

Here are my comments on the interview…

1. Making the Mind, Body, Foot Connection Real

Dr. Greene’s work starts with the feet, but usually ends much deeper.

We all know about the mind/body connection, but the feet — our foundation — is where much of it all begins.

If we’re not strong in our foundation, then there’s not any strength — on both the physical and emotional levels.

In her practice, Dr. Greene looks at the feet, but then takes a client through diet, exercise, meditation and whatever else is needed to holistically treat the patient.

Very rare to see this in a podiatrist’s office.

2. Reflexology… the gateway to a stress-free life.

I mentioned to Dr. Greene that in just one reflexology session I can transform the way I feel and eliminate stress for days.

I wondered what exactly made me feel this way.

She told me there are thousands of nerve endings in the feet so manually massaging the foot and using reflexology points can stimulate all your organs and your endocrine system.

It also can — very quickly — relieve muscular tension that, in turn, can be a stress trigger.

But even with scientific explanation, I find myself not even caring about how it works… I just know it does.

If there is one type of therapy that I get great results from all the time it’s definitely reflexology, so if you haven’t tried it, I highly suggest you do.

3. Sing it: “The heel bone’s connected to the… intestines.” (?)

Dr. Greene explained some of the reflexology points on the foot and what organ systems they’re related to.

One that was quite personal to me is the heel / gut connection.

The zone around the heel is deeply connected to gut, small intestine and colon function.

So if you have poor gut health, you may want to have someone rub your heel to help soothe your issues.

It can’t hurt…

It’s free, it feels great and — if it works — you’ll be better off for trying.

4. Bunions? You might need to what?!

We spent a lot of time talking metaphors for foot pain.

Dr. Greene has found that not only does foot pain cause problems physically, it can also cause emotional distress. Or, the other way around, emotional distress can cause foot pain.

Or physical manifestations of pain in the foot can be a signal for a larger more systemic physical or emotional issue.

(Phew! Got all that?)

So in many of her patients, Dr. Greene has found that the appearance of bunions are not just because someone has been wearing certain shoes, but they also could be a sign that the individual is not on the path they should be walking.

The physical appearance of the bunion and where the toes point is a strong metaphor for this — since the toes usually are pushed to point to the right or left.

It’s almost like the body is trying to point you in a different direction.

I know for some of you this may seem a little weird, but teaching through metaphors — even if you don’t believe the bunion thing to be true — is very powerful. We probably can agree than 90% of all people you come into contact with aren’t on the path that they want to be on, so why not truly heal them with an story or metaphor based on their physical appearance.

I found this part of the interview to be fantastic and I hope you did to.

(And of course, even if you don’t have bunions… are you on the right path?)

Another metaphor she used was an analysis of when someone’s arch is collapsing.

To her, this doesn’t just mean that the person is an over-pronator and will likely have knee, hip or back pain along the chain of locomotion. It also means that the person may be lacking support.

Since your feet are your roots, she suggests that someone with weak arches could benefit from working on building a strong foundation physically and emotionally at the same time they address their need for orthotics.

Tomorrow, we have Part 2 and we’ll address barefoot running and walking — the good and the bad.

Your question of the day: Do you have foot pain? What do you think your feet telling you?

If you want to find out more about Dr. Sherri Greene, or want to get rid of your foot pain for good, please visit her website and send her a note here: http://www.drsherrigreene.com/

1. Ann says:

I little too “New age” for me. Would prefer it be more scientific less fantastical. Thanks anyway.

2. Darlene says:

No foot pain here, but a great interview! I sell hot tubs, and the ones with the most foot massage is the best seller……imagine that!!
    At the beginning of the interview Kevin, your voice was not very clear. It got better, and Dr. Greene was easy to hear and a good guest speaker! Thanks…….I emailed her asking about a cure for toenail fungus. I HOPE she replies!!

3. Anna21 says:

That was fascinating. Sadly, I usually don’t give much thought to my feet. Luckily they don’t hurt. But going forward I will start massaging them and paying attention to any changes.

4. Neil says:

Unfortunately we live in a shoe wearing society. It is accepted as ‘normal’ to wear high heels and even runners but it is anything but ‘natural’. I wish her well and your search for diversity, but her efforts would have to be largely ineffectual with the way we wear shoes – which is not based on function, but fashion and sex appeal. Barefoot walking is the only way to walk naturally with correct biomechanics.

5. Catherine says:

As a yoga teacher, I’ve been fascinated with feet for a long time. I often say, “the best thing about yoga is bare feet”. I saw my elder dad’s feet get stiffer and stiffer as he aged. As sneakers became more supportive, people used their feet less, which leads to numorous problems as we age, the major one being problems with balance. So, connect with your feet. Walk barefoot often, massage your feet, do more yoga, and listen to your feet. 🙂

6. Brenda says:

Good stuff! She speaks my language. 😀

7. Sandra says:

I loved the interview. I believe the feet are a map of the body. I am a yoga teacher (7 years) and I am 64 years old and within the last 6 -9 mos or so I have a sensation behind my toes like my socks are bunched up. No pain. The sensation is always there. I have a difficult time in balance posture of any kind, some days good, some days not so good. I do not have a bad life but not a perfect one either. I have gone online and it seems it could be neuropothy but I am interested in your opionion. Thank you.

8. Ann P says:

Have you heard of bioshoes? They claim to help
    absorb ions? from the earth, about magnetics.
    What do you think of them? it’s something new.

9. Richard says:

Interesting knownledge,combination reflexology and accupunture meridian.Is there any video for this practice.Thanks.

10. wess says:

Great interview! I was in thought today about my feet and I saw this interview. I’m going to be giving my feet some serious love this week. Cheers!

11. Theresa says:

@Darlene. I cured a toenail fungus by soaking my feet in warm water with Tea Tree oil and a bit of Lavender oil for about half an hour every day. If I recall correctly it was gone in a couple weeks at most…

(For an added spa touch I added some marbles to roll my feet around on and stimulate my nerve endings.)

12. jackie says:

Darlene, I also cured a toenail fungus with melaleuca and oregano oils; just a few drops of one in the morning and the other at night. Took a few weeks. I suggest using a Certified pure therapeutic grade essential oil though; these are more powerful and work better.

13. Dear Dr. Greene,
    I really appreciated your view of reflexology from a mind, body, spiritual point of view along with your conventional appreciation of the feet. I have been doing reflexology for 37 years and have experienced a myriad of success stories. It is one of the most effective forms of health maintenance especially for seniors. Thank you for your work in the field. I look forward to the rest of your interview.I have written a book on what I call “visual cues”. One of the cues I discovered has to do with bunions which in my concepts speaks of a person being too accommodating. They haven’t learned to say “no” and everyone comes first and they come lastm (but only if there is enough time!). Helping a person to take charge of their needs will actually change the shape of the foot over time! I would love to share my findings with you.
    Thank you for your work in this field,

Warmly,
    Yvette Eastman

14. John Michael says:

I very much like this article and if it is “New Age”, that is my preference over I guess would be the opposite “Old Age.”

With that statement I assure you this is not sarcasm but more an investigation of our language and the terms we use. Understanding Conscious Language, we may observe what limiting thought word and emotional patterns we carry which possibly sabotage our personal missions in our lives. An example would be a statement such as:

“I am sad because I just spent most of my money on my schooling” or we could say “I am happy and encouraged because I invested most of my money on my schooling.” In one instance we spent money and it may feel like it was wasted and the other we invested money and anticipate a return on our investment.

Body Language gives us an insight into the relationship of our body to who we currently with respect to what physical challenges are holding us back from manifesting our greatness. Hence, if we have shoulder issues, are we may be shouldering too many responsibilities in our lives. If we have eye or ear problems, is there something we choose to not see or hear. If we have a persistent cough is there something we are not effectively delivering in our communications.

Reflexology is such a gift to us as is understanding our feet and other parts of our body. Here in Thailand reflexology is available everywhere where massage is available which happens to be just about everywhere and I AM Grateful!.

15. Kami says:

Hooray for this interview! I am a massage therapist and have recently taken integrated reflexology which only enhanced my body/mind connection knowledge. I love the way the body will point you to healing if you choose to listen or look at the body. Reflexology has been around for thousands of years like most healing arts yet medical experts still cannot pin point with scientific terminology how reflexology helps the body other than by sending energy to the particular body part the reflexologist is working on in the foot. Amazing… Medicine doesn’t even have logic for this magical healing art yet it works none the less. Trust our bodies… They never steer us wrong. Thank you for this interview : )

16. brian longhurst says:

I had very suceeful Reflexology some years ago from a lady when i would feel a pain in an area she was working on at my feet and she would say what may be a problem.One interesting time she was via my foot in the area of my genitals and ask me what may be a problem and my reply was i had had a vasectomy previously.Even stranger was a Sunday(the usual day i saw her)she asked did i have a problem with maybee a headach os some head pain,after briefly thinking i said no forgetting our very heavy garage door had hit me on my head a couple of days earlier,just two days later i had a stroke which 12 years later still effects my left side.Can’t help wondering if reflexology might help with cancer.

17. David King says:

Great stuff! Glad i’m walking barefoot on the beach lately 🙂

18. Tracey says:

Fantastic interview!! Relevant information!

19. Oleander says:

I have not had reflexology, but do think it’s important to spend time barefoot, such as at home or on the beach. When I’m over from the UK in South Portland, Maine each summer, I walk from my son’s house down to the beach each day. – Wonderful to feel free.
    Oleander, UK

20. Connie says:

Looking forward to tomorrow’s article! Thank you for presenting such great information! To find a Professional, Nationally Certified Reflexologist,go to:

21. Nancy Campbell says:

Kevin, would you talk more slowly and keep your voice up more. I got lost in low, growly tones for the first four or five minutes and could not understand you. The doctor’s voice was just fine. Thank you for reminding me about reflexology.

22. kitten says:

Did you know that OPRAH has big bunions?

Hmmm, I wonder what that says…

23. Anne says:

Thanks for the info, always interesting. Would like to know if there is any solution to Morton’s Neuroma. Cannot get any relief from lifts in shoes and do not want to go with surgery or injections. Cannot find anything on the internet. I am an active 60 year old – not overweight. What can I do?
    Anne

24. Ruth says:

So can you cure bunions, naturally??

25. Lisa says:

I love the interview. I have experienced pain in the arch of my foot and came to realize it was my adrenals! (through a reflexology card) I have observed that whenever I eat sugar or baked goods, that area hurts the next day! We have used a reflexology card in our house to relieve several minor ailments. Will have to check out a professional one of these days!

26. Fred Daugert says:

I am so delighted that you are bringing us this person and information as it is exactly these issues that I have been trying to address with my yoga practice for the last few years.I can feel my feet and knees and hips gradually comming into alignment through the patient practice of yoga.
    Thanks,
    Fred Daugert

27. Frances Lord, LMT says:

I am a Certified Reflexologist trained in the Ingham Method. I must say, I have had much success in finding areas of concern for clients. I have also seen clients recover faster from surgeries and other maladies. They reported feeling better after only one or two treatments. This is a healthy an non-invasive way to natural health.

28. Charlie says:

Morton’s neuroma —- any thoughts or suggestions would be loved! I have an arch support with metatarsal support in the needed spot. But can barely walk without it! is it from supporting my wife all these years????

29. bikegata says:

Wow, having just had a *second* bunion surgery (this time a bone fusion plus hammertoe repair, more severe than what I had done 20 years ago), this gives me a lot to think about. I’m just being able to do yoga on my feet again. Is she in favor of orthotic arches or against them?

30. Lisa says:

Appreciated the article and was really looking forward to the second installment, which you stated would be the next day. It did not come the next day, and judging from the comments I have read here, I was not the only one who has not seen the second video that was supposed to be the “next day”.