To Lose Weight For Good, You Might Have to Lose Your Mind (And Maybe Even More…) : The 5 Undeniable Laws of Lasting Weight Loss

Friday Jan 6 | BY |

flat stanley jonny 5
Clearly, I’ve also lost my mind by using this image for this post — it has no relevance at all to what I’ve written about. LOL!

It’s time to share Law #5 of my Undeniable Laws of Lasting Weight Loss…

But, I have to say, it’s not really a law.

It’s a collection of a few things that are essential for losing weight. Basically, it’s more of a “5 Ways to Help You Lose Weight for Good,” but it’s my list and I’ve decided to defy the laws of the universe and turn one last law — that really wasn’t a law in the first place — into 5 tips, tricks and ideas. If that’s not Houdini-ship, I don’t know what is… someone book me in Vegas, I’m going on tour!

Let’s get into them now…

Law #5.1 of The 5 Undeniable Laws of Lasting Weight Loss: Don’t Think, Just Do

Successful people in all walks of life, tend to share some common personality traits. One of them is the ability to rationally identify what they want to do and then do it without second guessing… triple guessing… quadruple guessing… etc.

Let me turn this into English.

To lose weight for good, you might have to lose your mind — in a good way.

Successful people don’t think too much. They most certainly think — this is what separates them from non-successful people — but they do a lot more doing then analyzing.

If you want to succeed with your weight loss plan, you would benefit by learning this particular technique.

Let me give you a real world example.

I’ve been slacking when it comes to my running routine. I haven’t consistently run in months. It seemed like — until today — every morning when I woke up I had an excuse as to why running was not a good idea. Some of them included: too much work to do, too cold outside, really warm in bed, etc.

Today, which was different for me, I simply opened my eyes, felt the excuse start to form in my head and instead of turning over and getting some more sleep, I got up and put on my socks and shoes. Before I could formulate a well thought out escape I was our running in the hills — a total success that only could have happened because I took action before my mind could trick me into thinking there was something else better for me to do.

So next time you feel an excuse coming on, do the thing you’re about to excuse yourself from — as long as it pertains to happy and healthy activities!

Law #5.2 of The 5 Undeniable Laws of Lasting Weight Loss: Eat a High Raw Diet

Eating fresh fruits and vegetables is the cornerstone of a great diet. The have great nutrients, are high in fiber and are water rich.

If you are eating a lot of cooked foods and still heavier than you’d like to be, or you’d like to maintain your weight, ignoring the food pyramid and eating massive amounts of raw fruits and vegetables will help you lose weight.

The best way to get as much plant food in your body as possible is to blend it all up with smoothies or extract it with a juicer.

If you’re new to all this, you can get my book on the subject for free as a gift by clicking here.

Law #5.3 of The 5 Undeniable Laws of Lasting Weight Loss: Love Your Relationships

As a personal trainer, one thing I learned really fast is that if the person I was training wasn’t in a good relationship there was little chance they were going to lose the weight they wanted.

Why?

If you’re spending time with people you don’t particularly want to be around, the joy in your life will be sucked away from you. When anything is sucked away, literally and figuratively, there’s usually a vacuum. When you suck away your emotional enjoyment, the first thing that usually fills that empty space is empty calories. Obesity could be considered a lack of sweetness in one’s life, so be sure to full yourself up with good relationships, so you don’t reach out for the sweets and other goodies to fill the void.

Healing past relationships that were hurtful is another way to help yourself lose weight. Forgive and let go. The weight will come off too.

Law #5.4 of The 5 Undeniable Laws of Lasting Weight Loss: Love Your Job

If you spend 8 to 10 to 18 hours somewhere, you better love it. If you are overweight and you don’t like your job, one of the best things you can do for your health is to start searching for another place to work.

Happy and passion driven people tend to be thinner and healthier — it’s not a law, but look around and you’ll see.

If that’s you, we gotta talk.

Start making a list of things you’d love to do. Start talking to people who are doing it.

I’ve seen people who’ve lost their jobs, or left them, lose weight without even exercising — it was almost if their job was literally causing the weight gain just like if you ate too much cake then took it out of your diet. Pretty cool, huh?

Law #5.5 of The 5 Undeniable Laws of Lasting Weight Loss: Go to Bed!

That’s right, it’s time to get to bed earlier. Sleep resets your endocrine system and allows your body to take time to heal. It also gets your head in the right place so you’re able to make smart decisions — in this case about your food.

Science seems to tell us that 8-9 hours of sleep a night is great — I tend to agree. I don’t feel fresh or sharp if I get less or more than that much.

I have to tell you though, that with all the information that is available to us now, it is harder for me to go to bed at a reasonable hour. So admittedly, I’m working on this one too.

My ideal, regular day evening is coming home from work, eating dinner before 7:30, reading for an hour, watching a video or listening to an audio and then going to bed.

Sometimes I nail it.

Other times, it looks like this:

I’m at the office until 7:30, come home to answer a few more emails, eat dinner at 8:30 or 9:00, come back home to do more writing or work and then finally get to bed at around 12:00 or 1:00.

The only way I justify that this is OK, is that I make my own hours at work and the only time I set an alarm is if I have to catch a plane. So I can get up at 9:00, walk to work and get going in just a short period of time (well rested, of course!)

So there you have it… my 5 mini-laws of lasting weight loss. The purpose of this series was to help you understand that food is only a small part of the equation for LASTING weight loss — it can be a large part of a short term plan.

Now’s your chance to go ahead, not think so much about them (or if I’m right or wrong) and start doing one or two. When you start getting results, be sure to send me a line telling about your progress.

Your Question of the Day: I’ve added 5 additional tips and ideas here, what are your undeniable laws for lasting weight loss? Do you agree with mine? Would you add anything else?

Also, since I’m showcasing lasting weight loss techniques, it’s essential that I give you a resource. Like I said before, I was just introduced to Jon Gabriel’s “The Gabriel Method” Total Transformation Program. This is a great program from a guy who’s lost 225 pounds and kept it off for years (remember… success leaves clues.)

Jon’s program is not so much a diet program, it’s a way to program your body to lose fat using the same techniques he used for his own weight loss.

Actually, before writing this series, I spent an hour listening to one of the audios (a bonus from his program) and I loved his easy to understand and caring approach. He was talking about the link between stress and why the body holds onto weight when you’re under duress. It inspired me to write this series, so it’s definitely something to check out.

Plus, the price of it it relatively low for the possible rewards it could bring you… would you be willing to spend under $40.00 for the chance to finally lose your extra fat?

I would!

Here’s where you can check out the program and decide for yourself if it’s something you’d like to try…

www.RenegadeHealth.com/gabrielmethod/

NOTE: There is a portion of diet advice in the program that is not vegan – if you are a vegan obviously you wouldn’t follow this part. I personally think the program is much deeper that a what to eat program, so you’d get a ton of value regardless of this philosophical difference.

1. Anna21 says:

Another excellent article. BTW, that is a funny picture. Johnny 5 is such an adorable kitty, but he looks so evil in that pic.

2. LynnCS says:

Kevin…your laws are perfect and I should be in jail because I break every one of those over time. My main problem is..you said it..over thinking it. It is cold here and I tell myself I don’t have proper clothing. The gym is just around the corner and not so expensive so I wouldn’t need to be outdoors. Getting to bed early is also a big one…I can go to bed but don’t fall asleep then I justify not getting up early and exercising. I need to tho, so again it’s really not so hard for me. It is a must. I am lucky that I like the fruits and vegetables. I do tell myself stories that I don’t know when to eat…before exercise or after…shower at night, or in the morning..if in the morning…before exercise or after? It’s all silliness, isn’t it. You have encouraged me to do the right thing..for me. I can’t lose any more without getting some muscle. Otherwise I am going to get sick or hurt. You are a great teacher. Thanks. Lynn

3. Velda says:

Thank you, Kevin. These are good “rules” and would be hard to add to. Not all doable for me, however. For instance, I do not like what I do to make a living, but at 64 years old it would not be feasible for me to quit – I probably would not find another job. I would love to work in the alternative health field, but do not see any opportunities where I live. I even had my own health business for awhile. I was working about 80 hours per week and not really making much money – which I need to meet the financial responsibilities I have. Therefore, instead of quiting, I find a way to find blessings in what I am doing, and am grateful for the job and that I am able to work.

Thanks for all the great information. I will work at applying what I can … and then work on apply more 🙂 Thanks, Kev. You are great and much appreciated!!

4. Brenda says:

I loved this article too. 😀 Thank you Kevin.
    I eat healthfully and exercise and take really good care of myself as I have for decades (I am a holistic health practitioner)and at one point doing all that right, I was still over weight. When I made the decision to get a divorce, and followed through with it, I lost ALL my excess weight doing nothing different with my usual health practices. You are right, stressful relatioships can be a cause of weight gain.
    I am loving life. 😀

5. maca says:

I eat mostly cooked foods and am very slim. I think it’s more about what foods you eat rather than whether they’re cooked or raw. Cooked greens is less fattening than raw avocado, nuts, etc.

6. maca says:

I eat mostly cooked foods and am very slim. I think it’s more about what foods you eat rather than whether they’re cooked or raw. Cooked greens are less fattening than raw avocado, nuts, etc.

7. pat says:

Thanks, Kevin. I really enjoy reading your blogs. I am a good illustration about weight coming off after the end of a stressful relationship. I lost 37 pounds that way and truly without trying. That, and because of the diabetes I developed in those years of a turbulent marriage. Thanks to your clear voice about raw food (I still find it a bit confusing because it is a paradigm shift), I am just beginning to incorporate raw food into my life. I look forward to lower blood sugar readings.

8. Peggy says:

You nailed it on the head! I haven’t even finished the article– all I needed was Law #5.1 to see where my weakness lies. Thank you!

9. This is wonderfull. i just feel bad cause i wasnt jogging. just walking and done a small sprint .my excuse are the cars outside and the noise of the cars. Actually i fear running into them. This is more than just an excuse. i remeber when i lived more in a place with open fields it was much easier to run. cause no hurt bycars and bicycles.

Maybe instead of running walking is also good or do a sprint o other gymnastics. let it go if it is too dangerous and move somewhere and somehow else. or waht do you think..?

10. Sue says:

Great article! For me, the biggest key is the relationship aspect. If my husband is undermining my weight loss efforts because he “needs” snacks, I revert back to “healthy” snacks! When he and I are on the same page toward my goal of losing and maintaining, my efforts are much more successful! I also need to make a effort to get out and take my daily walks. I need to revitalize myself in the fresh air and sunshine, as well as move to the beat of my inside “different” drummer!

11. Oleander says:

Yes, I agree with all that you say, Kevin. I have always been slim, even when a meat eater, then vegetarian. Now vegan for last 16 years.

Though workng from an office at my home mainly, for last two years, put on a few pounds which I do not lke (still slim by usual standards)

I’ve analised what could be he cause? Then decided, I am having lots of cups of tea throughout the day, with soya milk. can’t totally give it up! but substitute green tea as much as I can (although I don’t like it much!)

Seems to be working!

12. Healthygirl says:

Flat Stanley!

13. Kathy says:

One of my dogs didn’t think, just did! She ran up a tree after a cat!! Took me about an hour to get her back down from there, but she illustrated your point rather nicely!

14. vickie says:

A tip a doctor gave me one time is to go to bed no later than 10pm. She said the time before midnight produces the most restful sleep which will result in walking up more rested and with a really positive attitude. I have found that really helps me.

15. These are all great, mine is #1, can find a million reasons not to exercise, so will have to work on that one.lol I also take adult stem cell nutrition, now http://jdimlm.com/miracles. I also try not to eat after 6 pm,God Bless everyone

16. Maria says:

I like your rules, particularly about loving your relationships and job because we often think the grass is greener and so do not get the pleasure that is available in our current life.

I would like to add one that I learned from Leo Babauta from Zen Habits that I think is useful for any change that you want to make. It is inevitable that you will have times when you feel resistant to doing the work of dieting exercising or whatever else you need to change. It is important to have a plan for those times. It could be a visualization that encourages you, a friend you can call or an activity that will distract you from the negative feelings and replace them with positive ones. Even just a few stretching exercises can be all that you need.

I hope this helps.

17. Kimmi says:

Hey Kevin,
    These are great! I never thought about the job part of it before, but I can imagine all the chubby people sitting behind desks at jobs they don’t like. It’s so easy to say I can’t quit, but there are always alternatives.

When we cut crap out of our lives whether it be emotional or tangible it often shows up in other places too. Like a holistic version of healthy.

18. Sandy says:

Have you guys done anything on the master cleanse or anything on kidney stones?

I did green smoothies and juices for a while then on my 2nd day of the MC I got excruciating kidney stone pain, wound up in the ER and on all kinds of nasty meds! Later I discovered that too many greens can lead to kidney stones!! Help 🙁 Don’t know WHAT to do now!

19. Yamina says:

“Unhappy people who are fulfilling someone else’s dream not only are selling a piece of their soul, but they’re also causing a massive amount of health damaging stress.” So true ! How many of us are fulfilling someone else’s dream and have no time, energy, desire to fulfill their own ? I feel clearly today like fulfilling others, “friends”, relatives’ dreams and neglecting mine. Concerning sleep, I have read from Dr Graham that it is not so important to sleep early, but just to sleep enough, cause not only I HATE sleeping, but obliged to, to achieve this boring task lately, when everybody sleeps, no mental disturbance, then the world is quiet, you can hear silence and your proper voice. I just find it impossible, pretty boring, and only good for peasants and hens to sleep early. For citizens like me, unthinkable. Thks for your sentence, it is so true, selling a piece of our soul to fullfill other dreams… I am not unhappy nor overweighted but stressed, sure ! And this is not only the worse for health but for the fullfillment of the life we all have the chance to be borned to. (Is is really understandable ? My english goes worse and worse… No time to read in english… Because of this damned sleeping time !) Happy new year everybody and especially the Renegade !
    Oh ! Another superefficient tip to last weight loss ? Eating less.

20. Yamina says:

I haven’t read Dr William’s post when I sent my comment ! Best of all, most crucial. And inducing so quiet thoughts… Thks for all.

21. eridawni says:

I found this article today — on Environmental factors that contribute to Obesity…via everyday chemical exposure…

Love — this article. For ten days, I have not gotten outside to move my bod. No good excuse, but all the ones you noted are in play. I am going to stop now — put on my socks, sneakers, tie back my hair, cover my ears, put on my sweatshirt and go..

Thanks Kevin..