You Might Need to Eat More Food to Lose More Weight… (Huh?) : The Second Undeniable Law of Lasting Weight Loss

Tuesday Jan 3 | BY |

starfruit weight loss
I’m trying to tie in this picture to the article, but frankly, I’m just thrilled to be going back to Florida in a few weeks to eat some fresh starfruit. LOL!

Yesterday, I shared Law #1 of the Undeniable Laws of Lasting Weight Loss…

It was simply to learn from those who have lost the weight that you’d want to lose and kept it off. To recap, there’s no point in learning theory when it comes to your health, so if you want to get trim, find someone who’s done it (or someone who’s been able to be around a lot of people who have – like a good trainer or health practitioner) and do what they did.

Today, I’m going to share Law #2.

It’s a great one for someone who likes to eat, but doesn’t want it all going to their hips or belly.

The Undeniable Laws of Lasting Weight Loss Law #2: Eating Less Food Is Not Always Best for Weight Loss

So, yes, I wrote that correctly.

One of the biggest myths about dieting and losing weight is that the only way to do it is to eat less calories.

Not exactly true.

This may be correct when you’re dealing with overeating and under-eating, but there is a gray area in between that doesn’t always follow the calorie in, calorie out model of weight loss.

The calorie in, calorie out model – meaning if you eat a calorie, you have to burn a calorie to maintain weight – has never taken into account your hormone balance and your digestive ability. If your body was a well calibrated machine and was able to digest every calorie that goes in and your hormones were always perfectly balanced then maybe this model would be most appropriate for everyone, but chances are, if you’re overweight or gaining weight, these systems are compromised. A compromised system leads to unexpected (or expected) results. In this case, if you’re interested in this article – it means you’ve gained weight and you can’t seem to get rid of it – no matter what you do.

Here’s a real world example of how this works…

A snack bar that you eat could give you great energy, but for the next guy or gal, it could cause their adrenals to fire because of the sugar and caffeine, put them in stress mode and turn on their fat storing mechanisms which would take all the extra carbohydrates they eat in a certain time frame and turn them into a bigger belly, wider hips or more bubbly butt.

So if the key to successful weight loss is not always eating less, what do you do?

In the short term (which is important to note), you can actually eat more.

Again, counter-intuituve, but when you’re trying to lose weight, you’re working on two levels – physical and emotional.

Here’s where this all comes together.

First up, you eat more because you want to ADD good foods into your diet. So if you eat pizza every day, I wouldn’t necessarily tell you to stop eating pizza right away. I’d ask you to add a salad into your day as well. Under this “law,” it is not appropriate to just eat more pizza – so I want to make that clear. This only works if the “more” that you eat is healthy.

On the physical level, adding this salad gives your body more nutrients that it needs (and likely hasn’t had for a while) to start functioning properly.

On an emotional level, adding healthy foods in – instead of taking them away – gives you a much healthier perspective on what you’re doing. I don’t know about you, but when ever someone tells me I can’t do something – I immediately make it a mission to do that thing I’m forbidden to do.

Another classic example of how removing things from your diet can be so toxic to your weight loss plans is this – say you go on a no-cookie diet for 30 days. In the days of the paper calendar, chances are you’d cross off every day of your progress – not to congratulate yourself on your success, but in hope that day 31 will come sooner so you can have that next cookie that has been haunting you from the day you started.

So don’t tape to top on the cookie jar just yet…

Add some healthy things in before you set up a military-like checkpoint around your mouth.

Basically, the concept here is to overlaying a new diet lifestyle over your old existing one.

When you do this, your physical body will start to crave the more healthy foods – because it naturally wants the nutrients it needs to function well. On an emotional level, like I said above, you start to automatically make better decisions about your food because you can and you have control, not because you’re forcing yourself to do anything.

It’s a very freeing experience. I’ve worked with clients who adopted this very specific technique (or law, if you will) and they’ve not only lost weight, but – the end goal – they’ve kept it off for years.

Also, this is a perfect way to transition into another diet as well, even if you don’t have weight to lose. So for instance, if you want to do a vegan diet, or a raw food diet or a paleo diet, or a cake diet (just kidding on that one) your best route to success is overlaying this diet over your existing one and gradually choosing more of the foods from the new diet with the others fall out of your daily routine.

You’ll find this to be a much easier way in the short term and long term to sustain – though admittedly it does take longer in the beginning to make the transition.

Please note: if you have a major health issue that requires you to change your diet, none of this applies. You must change and change fast – you’re no longer afforded the time the same way someone who would be doing this for preventative measures.

Finally, I don’t expect you to trust or believe what I’m saying here. You’re free to feel like I’m right or wrong. The only thing I ask is that if you are a little heavier than you’d like and nothing seems to be working, give this idea a try, I think you’ll be pleasantly surprised with the results.

Tomorrow, I’m going to share a technique that has nothing to do with diet but can give you fantastic results – and you only have to do it at night before you go to bed…

Your question of the day: What is the weirdest diet you’ve ever tried?

1. Beth says:

Great idea Kevin.

2. jessica says:

In 2010 when I started reading more about healthy life styles, I actually tried this technique and eventually went into a raw diet for just a week. At the end of 3 months I had lost 40 stubborn pounds. I have kept it off,and since have lost 20 more lbs in about 2 months. Now, if I choose the cake diet one day, then the next day it is right back to my raw fruits and veggies for 80% of my meals. Thanks for the encouragement and great reminders Kevin! 🙂 I appreciate you!!

3. Viola says:

The weirdest diet probably was drinking my own urine. The most working diet is mono – eating all day only ONE type food as much as you want -only bananas or only apples. That not only will make you lose weight, but will also clean up your skin.

4. Viola says:

here is a good article as an example for mono diet, bananas in this case, 30 bananas a day http://zentofitness.com/bananas-a-fat-burning-powerhouse/

5. Lemonade Lindz says:

The worst diet I ever tried was the Rosedale Diet for diabetes where you consume no carbohydrates, lots of cooked veg and cooked meat and oil and nuts and seeds. I couldn’t run which upset me. I switched over to mono fruit and 811 and I training for the Colorado 100 miler. Wow what an explosive diff.

6. Cindy Yacob says:

The Master Cleanse. Felt and looked terrible, had to down a quart of salt water every day for 10 days in addition to only living on maple syrup. I heard such good things about it through others though.

7. Davor says:

I know that this 100% works, and that nobody loses weight permanently if going the starving way. For a long time it is well known [only to me??] that starving puts your body into a so called “starving mode” where it essentially eats itself, starting with muscles, not fat, and it awaits the food so eagerly that when you eat something, it immediately goes into fat. There’s just no way to be nice looking and healthily slim with starving yourself. It’s also so hard to get rid of all the fat that way, but it’s so easy to get rid of all the muscles. I would like to add to what you said something: when you consume at least some food, your body uses more energy as it has to digest it, and your metabolism works faster making you lose excessive fat. When you keep your digestion working the whole day, your body loses weight, by eating, yes. Especially if you eat veggies and healthy food, not greasy and sweet stuff. When you don’t eat, your digestion and metabolism slows down, making you gain weight even from small amounts of food, not to mention that greasy and sweet food. So the worst thing one can do for your health, looks, and weight is eating a little pizza every day, and I know a lot of uninformed kiddies, especially women, do exactly that these days. That’s why they look so floppy, no muscles, but they still have some fat on them, and they’re having all kinds of health problems.

Thank you for this article. It’s great. I’m glad that there’s someone who advertises this kind of natural and the only healthy way of weight loss. Change your lifestyle people, not just for a week or two. That leads nowhere, actually it leads only to a doctor in the end, and you will never be satisfied.
    Cheers!

8. maca says:

Great to have a slightly different point of view to the norm.

9. Christine says:

Hmm, I tried the Master Cleanse too and lasted all of 2 days … all that sugar made my heart beat way too fast and was very uncomfortable.

10. Derek says:

Excellent points. I’ve always felt like the saying “Eat Less, Move More” should be modified more along the lines of “eat less unhealthy foods, eat MORE nutrient dense foods, move more” to better reflect the fact that many people are overfed but undernourished.

Weirdest diet I tried was an all raw two week cleanse only eating small amounts of food once to twice a day. I learned that’s not the best approach to cleansing pretty quickly.

11. Jan says:

The Master Cleanse worked great for me!!! I felt great!!!!!

12. Isabella says:

The best “diet” is the one that becomes your lifestyle: whatever you’re prepared to do for the rest of your life is the one that will work for you. As you say Kevin, once the nutritious foods are being eaten, they will more likely become the food of choice. It’s not that “junk” is never eaten, it just becomes “sometimes” food, instead of “everyday” food. (our culture’s habit of calling junkfood ‘treats’ and salads ‘rabbit food’ isn’t helpful; I prefer to use: rarely, sometime, and everyday to describe “bad” and “good” food. More helpful, less emotive.)

13. Cirsten Awaja says:

20 years ago I tried some of that kind of powder you use to make shakes from. I lasted two days and got incredibly sick, threw up, got a pounding headache and saw every thing double. That is something I would never dog again

14. Dede says:

Really enjoying this series, Kevin :-).

15. Velda says:

When I first read the subject of todays blog, my first thought was “been there done that”. And …. it didn’t work for me. But what I did was different and what you are suggesting makes really good sense. I really don’t know why I have been gaining so much weight. I eat healthy and have kept my weight off for almost 5 years. I know I have not been as strict as I was, but I have not been “this bad”. I guess I just have to always be extremely strict with my eating. I love the healthy choices and, as you said, Kevin, I crave what nourishes my body on a cellular level. Thank you for this great information. I’m very interested to see what tomorrow’s blog brings. 🙂

16. Amanda says:

I have so far lost 70lbs eating a raw food vegan diet. The calories I am eating each day are the same, if not more, than I was eating when I was gaining weight. I checked. I am possibly eating more fat (coconut, avocado, cacao butter, almonds, brazil nuts) than before. In fact this week was my birthday and I had a huge chocolate cake with all the trimmings. I lost 4 lbs. God bless raw food!

17. I would say the grapefruit diet was my weirdest one,ugh I hate grapfruit, lol. I use adult stem cell nutrition from http://jdimlm.com/miracles now and doing great. It repairs and replenish your body so it can heal itself. God bless

18. Mona says:

I actually dont have a ‘weirdest diet’, I never really dieted..but I find this topic very interesting on the ‘transitioning to another diet’ point of view. I’m a raw vegan but when I first started I did struggle a long time (over years!) to transition, so I wish I would have thought of this method back then! And by the way, I eat about 2000-3000 calories a day, I dont really excercise (although I should) and my system has always been very sluggish with food. I am really slim and really surprised that I am not gaining weight, I wonder why?

Oh, and 7. Isabella, I like your idea of less emotive vocabulary when it comes to food!
    Have a great day everybody!

19. Frank Berg says:

I have found that when you take in foods or supplements that give your body over 90 minerals each day everything in your body goes back toward normal.
    I have observed in the wild, animals will travel 40 or 50 miles to get to a mineral lick. At some mineral licks trails will go off in every direction where the animals come to get minerals. A wise hunter will sit at such a spot and wait for the game to come to him. I have also observed that they will eat large amounts of clay to detoxify their bodies. I say this only to point out 2 things that are natural in nourishing our body.
    We must look after the intake of minerals and we must detoxify. Fat is simply toxins stored in our fat cells. Get rid of the toxins and the fat is gone. A simple solution is to start by taking in less foods that cause toxins to build up faster then our liver can expel them. Some of the offenders are red meat, dairy, sugar and white flour.
    Restrict grains such as wheat,oats,barley,and rye. These need to ferment in our digestive system in order to digest,thereby creating toxins. Sprouted grains are fine. If you want to eat bread, find one that is made with sprouted grains. This is why eating sprouts as a part of you regular diet is a good thing. They add no toxins. The less toxic foods we eat the quicker we will notice our liver is catching up and getting rid of the stored toxins in the fat cells. Our compromised liver needs the minerals to regain it’s health so it can function at capacity.
    Our body will naturally detoxify through urine and perspiration. When your urine smells bad, THAT IS GOOD. It means toxins are leaving the body. When socks and body odor smells bad, THAT IS GOOD for the same reasons. How you deal with the smell is your personal preference. Including in your diet the juice of a fresh squeezed lemon every day helps to speed the removal of toxins.
    I lost 50 pounds without even trying. I found it is not so much a calorie count but rather a mineral count. All exercise is good. It moves the blood around in the body.

20. Biodun Bamgboye says:

Great idea.. will certainly try this..

21. Davor says:

One thing about what you said Frank. If your urine and perspiration smells bad, that is actually not good. That means you’re eating badly. 😉 It does mean that the toxins are leaving your body, absolutely yes, but if it smells bad, it means you’re not eating well.

Food for thought. 😉 Cheers!

22. Max Tuck says:

Excellent. “Adding the good stuff” is something I have been teaching for years, but still seems to be overlooked by the majority of those so-called “diet gurus”, with the exception of those who are into raw food.
    Isn’t it sad how all “standard” diets seem to focus on not eating bad stuff, when the poor, nutritionally depleted body is just crying out for essential nutrients? Add the good stuff, then the body becomes, in time, ready to let go of the bad.
    Happy New Year to all.

23. Angela says:

Great article. It still amazes me that this works. I just posted an article on how I lost weight (without trying) and no diet by just eating real foods – as much as I wanted. No one can believe that this works but your body knows the difference:

24. Palo0aky says:

thee weireds diet. maybe kellos corn flakes as much as possible. with uice milk. maybe the homeless diet. livin on stret gettin your foods at soup kitchen and homless polaces at dumpster or some snackin in shops for love. or maybe eat as much pasta as possible and vomit after. or bulemia. or etting overwhelmed b people who claim on you. weird diet.. which worked for me. wightwatchers worked for me one time. i did it in a group. herer in heidelberg. i lost from 144 to 95kilo. that was go feeling. before i once did the cabbage soup. it was a nice version with one time meat. you can eat as much soup as possible and at the weekend rassfed steak. lovely. every diet is crazy. its just beneath or society.

25. Cindy says:

I think when people start all this dieting & different diets to lose weight, it backfires on them. All the dieting messes up your metabolism. Your body needs nutrients, which means giving it food when it’s hungry. If you eat when hungry, but not junk food, your body knows what to do with it, even if you eat a lot of calories. I’ve never really had much of a weight problem. I’m 5 feet 2 inches tall, & I eat 2,500-3,000 or more calories a day, & I weigh about 115 lbs. I basically eat whatever I want when I want, but try to make it mostly healthy choices. If the occasional junk food gets in there, I just try not to worry about it & just get back on track with my next meal. It works for me.

26. Matthew says:

What is important to understand is how YOUR body reacts to certain foods. The Raw community is so scattered with information and various ways to eat that there is a lot of confusion and even disagreement within our own community. Early on, I remember Kevin promoting more of a raw vegan diet in his blog posts – he was convinced this was the way to eat. Now, I have noticed a shift to the notion that some meat may be healthy. Guess what? Kevin is writing about his own experiences with his own way of eating. There is no “laws” to losing weight or to being healthy. I am a raw food omnivore – this is what works for me. There is so much misinformation and subjective information about eating raw foods. What about the calorie restricted diet? You read that limiting calories may be the way to go for living a longer healthier life. Now, we are fed with info that maybe we need to eat more calories. We have to solidify the information we are presenting to people. Bottom line is that YOU need to find out what works best for you. Only you know that and this is YOUR journey. Not anyone else’s.

27. About 7 years ago, I ate a “bread diet”. That is, grinding our own grains and making fresh ground whole wheat bread, I ate 2 loaves a day, along with salads, other vegetables, and foods, but bread was the main supply of calories for a couple months. I ate as much as I wanted to and got leaner than I ever have been. Looking at pictures and watching videos of me back then blows me away at how healthy my appearance was. But, of course, there is that darn gluten controversy.

28. Julie says:

The best diet for me is the Raw Food Diet. I have managed to lose 88 lbs going 100% raw off and on for a year. To maintain the weight released, I follow 80% raw now. It has been 2 years now. I am gluten, dairy, soy and sugar free.

29. Mickie says:

I think adding healthy foods to your everyday diet is a good way to gently transition to a healthy lifestyle. I love sweets- that is my weakness.BUT, I recently tried the 14 day raw promise challenge with Versativa and found that my cravings for sugary junk went away. The Versativa Pulse is naturally sweet from the fruit that’s in it and it’s also an easy, convenient raw food product. That is what has helped me to change my eating habits and stay away from the junk and as a result, am losing weight and feeling great!

30. Lester says:

Coffee fried egg toast hash browns at breakfast, salad with boiled eggs and oil dressing for lunch, and dinner of wine with plain popcorn and hard cheese worked miracles for me. Melted away 15% of my weight in 4 months. Then gradually transitioning to green smoothies with some protein powder for breakfast and more veggies and meat during the day and evening. Easy and it stays off as long as you stay away from organic energy bars.

31. suzette says:

I never know where to ask questions on here. Sorry if this isn’t the right place. Whenever I’m stumped I wonder what “What would Kevin think???” So I’m curious about krill. They are obviously scavengers/crustaceans but are they really? lol I mean they’re omnivores and so they eat the good and the bad as well? And how do we know if the good outweighs the bad? Doc Mercola says that krill is the best source of omega3s. I don’t eat ANY scavengers but feel compelled to check this out.

32. Gail says:

OMG – urine? Scary..
    Ok..my weirdest diet. Probably either the grapefruit diet or the cabbage soup diet. To this day, I can’t eat cabbage soup – LOL!
    Or Atkins. Gosh, I hated all that heavy glop. I actually GAINED during the two-week “induction” period and I felt terrible.

Oh, to Davor, urine will smell bad for a number of reasons. I am on an herbal protocol that affects the smell, for sure.
    Or, how about – anybody ever made ASPARAGUS soup? Asparagus is good for you..but it makes
    your urine smell horrendous! LOL

33. Violet says:

Back in the 80’s I did the fat gram diet with my mother. We did not lose weight. Now I know it was all the fat free cookies we were eating! Sugar is much worse for me than fat, which is probably why juicing didn’t work for me, either. 4 days into the raw diet I had such bad reflux I had to stop. As a vegan I was chubby with bad sugar cravings. My only “rules” now are No Processed Food or Chemical Additives. Works for me and my family.