If You Want to Slim Down, Be Sure to Do This… : The First Undeniable Law of Lasting Weight Loss

Monday Jan 2 | BY |

health advice from grandpa
If you want to live long, why not ask a 90 year old how they did it? (My grandpa at our wedding 4 years ago at 90 years old.)

In just a few short days, you’ll start to see newsletters, promotions, and advertisements on how you can get yourself in great shape for 2012 and finally make good on your weight loss resolutions.

I’d like to think we’ve grown out of the diet mentality – the one that assumes we can change what we eat and go to the gym 7 times a week for a contained period of time, lose the weight we need to, and then just hope that everything will stay the same.

If you’re reading this, chances are you’ve broken out of this old paradigm where willpower rules and the laws of physiology and human nature are ignored.

But there’s also a chance that you know all this is true, but still can’t seem to lose that extra weight. Maybe you’ve tried the raw food diet and haven’t gotten the amazing benefits everyone talks about. Maybe you’ve tried the Paleo thing and it didn’t jive with you. Maybe you’ve juice fasted for days on end only to have the weight you lost come right back within weeks after eating food again.

I’ve seen it happen all too often – particularly in my personal training days. A client would do well on willpower for a while, then totally lose it – they’d mentally snap and go into a binge-purge type spiral.

Not pretty.

Recently, I reviewed a different weight loss program by a guy named Jon Gabriel. Jon lost over 225 pounds and has kept it off for years. You can check this program out here: The Gabriel Method.

The program inspired me to share some of the “undeniable” laws of weight loss. So over the next week, I’m going to share 5 of these laws that need to be followed before you lose weight – and definitely before you keep it off!

Today, I want to give you Law #1, so this year, you can actually get some results and keep them – not yo-yo back to where you were before (or worse, gain more weight.)

Undeniable Law of Lasting Weight Loss #1: If you want to succeed in anything, find someone who has done what you want to do.

For me, my research for my own personal health protocol has included hundreds of hours of interviewing and many more hours spent reading books, listening to audios, watching lectures (attending them too!)

I’ve learned from a lot of people, but the people I listen to most are the people who have achieved what I want to achieve.

If you want to live into your 90’s, I feel it’s essential for you to talk to people who’ve lived into their 90’s and see what they’ve done with their lives. What they do, how they do it, what they eat, how active they are, etc. To me, this just makes sense. You can’t put all your organic eggs into one basket and rely on the longevity teachings of a 30 year old.

So for weight loss, doesn’t it make sense to learn from people who’ve done it successfully?

Too many people get caught up trying weight loss programs produced by people who haven’t ever lost any weight. Now this doesn’t mean that everyone you listen to has to have done what you want advice for, but I think if I was 40 pounds overweight and I wanted to get in shape, I’d definitely listen to a guy who’s lost 225 pounds and kept it off for advice.

When I was just out of college, a bunch of my friends were landing jobs as financial advisors for some of the major companies in the Northeast. I was surprised not only that they were being asked to tell people about where to invest money – since they were most knowledgeable at calculating how many kegs were needed for the next party – but that they also were making serious salaries.

I used to wonder what it would be like to go to one of them for investment advice and how they possibly could have been giving information that was as valuable as someone who’d been in the business for 20 years. They, of course, weren’t giving that high quality level of information, because of the learning curve associated with being a good advisor isn’t a two month training course – it’s years of practice, learning and experience.

I’m telling you this because the same goes with weight loss…

Learn from those who’ve done what you want to do and you’ll be successful. Four people I know who’ve lost over 100 pounds and kept it off are Jon Gabriel, Wendi Dee, Philip McCluskey, and Angela Stokes. They each have different approaches, but the results are the same – lasting weight loss.

Tony Robbins (or maybe someone before him) has been quoted as saying “success leaves clues.” This simply means that people who do successful things leave a trail of bread crumbs – gluten free, of course – that you can follow to get the same results they have.

So either now or in the past, are you following the right trail of crumbs or have you been led down the wrong trail?

It’s time to look at things differently and get different results. The first place to start is to find a mentor who can guide you through the ups and downs of real, lasting weight loss… not someone who just wants to sell you a book because they know you’re vulnerable then speed off in their new Ferrari.

Your Question of The Day: Have you dieted before and gained the weight back? Tell us your story about what worked in your diet and what didn’t…

Also, since I’m showcasing lasting weight loss techniques, it’s essential that I give you a resource. Like I said before, I was just introduced to Jon Gabriel’s “The Gabriel Method” Total Transformation Program. This is a great program from a guy who’s lost 225 pounds and kept it off for years (remember… success leaves clues.)

Jon’s program is not so much a diet program, it’s a way to program your body to lose fat using the same techniques he used for his own weight loss.

Actually, before writing this, I spent an hour listening to one of the audios (a bonus from his program) and I loved his easy to understand and caring approach. He was talking about the link between stress and why the body holds onto weight when you’re under duress. It inspired me to write this series, so it’s definitely something to check out.

Plus, the price of it it relatively low for the possible rewards it could bring you… would you be willing to spend under $40.00 for the chance to finally lose your extra fat?

I would!

Here’s where you can check out the program and decide for yourself if it’s something you’d like to try…

www.RenegadeHealth.com/gabrielmethod/

NOTE: There is a portion of diet advice in the program that is not vegan – if you are a vegan obviously you wouldn’t follow this part. I personally think the program is much deeper that a what to eat program, so you’d get a ton of value regardless of this philosophical difference.

1. Ricki Burleigh says:

I am interested in this program and the upcoming articles. I was very successful on a raw vegan 3-1/2 month juice fast and lost all the weight I wanted! And I felt great. But now… the weight is creeping back up. I feel sluggish and yuck! I am refocused and will do a lot of reading and gaining new insight.

I just wanted to mention, also, that the phrase you have above, “What to Do If Your Overwhelmed with Getting the Raw Food Diet Right?” should read “What to do If YOU’RE Overwhelmed…” It is a contraction of “you” and “are.” Obviously, “your” is possessive and incorrect. Just an FYI…

Thank you for all your amazing contributions to my life!!

Ricki Burleigh
    Chandler, Arizona

2. Nicole says:

Happy New Year! I have been following Jon Gabriel for years. He is so motivating & he backs up everything with research he has done. Even if you dont lose weight you can adopt small things that make you healthier. I am now trying the Raw Food approach for my whole family.

3. Kathleen says:

I was 294 pounds at my heaviest, and lost about 94 pounds of fat with many different tools; keeping a food diary for a year, writing down what I ate, going low carb, giving up juice (commercial, store bought kind) giving up milk, less pasta and bread, saying no sometimes, very moderate exercise, eating frequent meals, and eating more raw produce. But two years ago, (after becoming vegan) my weight started creeping up again. I blame it on lack of sleep when I started a new job, and me starting to binge to keep awake/energized. I was about 225 or so then.
    I went to an animal rights conference last year, and one of the talks was about how much weight people lose by becoming vegan. I scoffed and said that isn’t necessarily true for everyone. Jack Norris, the nutritionist was there, and he took me aside afterward and suggested I read the book “How to Become Naturally Thin by Eating More.” I bought it a year later and read it. It said that letting the body get hungry was bad, and that you need to eat every time you feel hungry, feeding it good food, so you don’t binge later on. It said that at first, people would probably gain weight doing this, and then lose. I currently weight 239. MEH! I’m still trucking along, eating when I’m hungry, and trying to eat more produce, less pasta and bread.

I would have to say that when I focused on getting healthy, not so much on losing weight, is when it came off without trying.

Thus I continue my journey…. *sigh* I DO need a personal role model though. Anyone up for very cheap sessions, ha? I’m disabled and poor.

4. Palo0aky says:

im sure if im asking duriarider. ou know fruit make u fat. and clap on his slim belly LOL

young teen humor and playfulness.

why your are not playing with kids or animals like other rawfoodists….?

5. Velda says:

About 5 1/2 years ago I lost about 55 pounds. I managed to keep it off for a little less than 5 years. Mainly focusing on what was healthy to eat. Never managed to lose the belly fat, however. The last 4 to 6 months the weight has been creeping back on and I am about 20 lbs heavier than I was at my lowest – and that is too much weight for me. I really need to figure out why it has been creeping back on and why I am not able to lose it again, doing what I was doing for about 5 years. Hope I can get some insight from your writings. Thank you, Kevin.

6. Palo0aky says:

Get a dog, get kids, get active, become homeless, there are simple ways to loose weight. We have in germany helmut schmitt he smokes a lot and is 90 and in the wheelchair. should we ask him. is he healthy? another one is this singer he become 108 and died few das ago. he was always clea washed smiling doing. under people. slim. he seemed to have good parents and education and come along in life. i think the ducatio in our childhood is important. more than just food.

7. Acid makes you fat. period. Acidic foods, acidic thoughts. Reduce the acid, reduce the fat. simple. Sounds like Jon helps one figure out how to kick the addiction to acidic foods and reduce acidic thoughts. thanks for the recommendation. Good job on your first immutable law of weight loss. Modelling someone who has already done what you want to do can reduce your learning curve by years.

8. LuAnn says:

My order is going in as soon as my paycheck is deposited.
    Kevin, thank you!

9. Cathy says:

I lost over 150 pounds following the McDougall Program, a starch-based whole food vegan diet and have kept it off for over 10 years now. If interested, you can read my story at:
    Cathy

10. Caleb says:

Great post Kevin. I can attest to the power or a vegetarian diet with high raw foods! Once going high-raw I lost 10lbs very quickly, and I have kept it off for the most part. Most of that weight loss was without exercise too, and now that I exercise regularly, I’m even trimer!

I especially like you said about the person leaving behind “bread crumbs” It’s so true. And, I think by doing that yourself it helps you stick to what you truly believe in, you have to practice what you preach!

11. Nicole says:

Reply to Kathleen,
    I am no expert but My personal opinion, There could be deep issues that prevent you from loosing weight – As Jon Gabriel says “your body has to want to be thin, & the fat programs have to be turned off”. Its not just calories in & calories out!
    Also may be some tests from an Orthomolecular Doctor or Natural Medicine practitioner – Toxins, Hormones alsorts of things can be going on in our body that we are unaware of wich can prevent weight loss. Dont stop trying. Good luck!
    Nicole, Australia

12. Lorien says:

I went from 280 lbs. to 160 pounds by going on a cleanse that allowed me to eat any kind of meat but pork, any kind of fruit but oranges, any vegetable, brown rice, eggs, spices and olive, coconut, almond or apricot oil. I was vegan at the time and had to switch over night. I lost the weight in about 6 months.

I gradually gained back a good bit of it. Got back up to around 220lbs trying different ways of eating. I gradually began to move towards a more raw food diet. I decided to go totally raw and got down to 147 pounds, lowest weight sense I was 18. Took about 5 months. Before I went completly raw I was only eating a cooked whole grain ceral – no sugar- in the morning and a home made cooked vegetarian soup in the evening.

I have sense gained 20 lbs of it back. Some is due to adding foods back in that I know are not good for me. Grain of any kind does me in. Some is due to hormone changes due to menopause. So I’m looking at cutting out grains again and looking into how to deal with the hormone changes.

As you can see, I lost a lot of weight on two very different eating plans. But both of them had no processed foods at all, something I still follow. I also think a persons emotional makeup has more to do with what they weigh then we realize. I had a very tramatic childhood and used to tell people I got fat in self defence. I have always been fat, never was an overeater and have always been very active. Even as an adult my life has been more stressful then not.

As I began to let go of the events of my childhood and take steps to take back my life as an adult, I began to be able to let the weight go. Obviously I’ve not arrived yet as I’m still on the yo-yo, but I get smaller each time and the diet changes have always been about health, not weight. I never cared about being fat, I’ve always been healthy, never sick and always able to do anything I wanted. So in that regard I’ve been blessed. In fact, I really didn’t feel any different at 147 then I did at 280. Which always suprises folks. But I do want to know what my body looks like when it’s not carring any extra weight. I have a feeling I’m really quite small. No one ever believes I weigh as much as I do no matter what the current weight is so I suspect there’s a really small person in there somewhere.

13. Nadine says:

I was overweight as a child and teen – 40 to 50 pounds total in fact – I carried it well however and was constantly assured by my doctors that I only had a few pounds to lose. Of course, I felt terrible and had a host of hormonal problems that required frequent specialist visits and constant medication adjustments. Naturally and gradually, starting at 18, I began moving to a more healthful lifestyle and diet. I was already vegetarian, but through the elimination diet, I discovered an allergy to dairy and through allergy testing found it was casein that caused it. Within 5 months of dairy avoidance, I lost 20 pounds! I also decided to stop taking all my medications and hormonal birth control – I lost some more weight then too. Then through my natural progression of diet and personal ethics, I began a vegan diet – having discovered so many of my beloved foods weren’t vegan – it forced me to eat better as I wasn’t willing to compromise my ethics for a candy bar. Within a year, I lost another 20 pounds and also began daily walks with my husband. Losing the weight, eating well and taking care of my spiritual being led to the reversal of my hormonal issues and health problems and now I feel awesome! I’ve also kept all of my weight off now for 4+ years and never feel hungry and never struggle with it anymore because I’ve created a health promoting lifestyle. People may have a different experience than mine, but I think a key is changing one’s lifestyle, perspective and beliefs when it comes to food and weight. Much compassion too!

14. maca says:

I think everyone knows what makes them fat but just don’t want to make the changes that they need to. So they are always looking for a quick fix that lest them still eat all their junk food. Just hang around with some skinny people and eat like they do and exercise like they do. Stop taking advice from other fat people. I’m amazed at how many fat people I hear discussing diet tips. They don’t seem to realise that they are taking advice from people who are eating what doesn’t work. It’s easy – eat less and exercise more.

15. Gail says:

First, anyone who uses phrases like “it’s simple..”, or “easy..just..” is either MALE, or under 50!

Sure, things were “easiER”, and they were “simplER” at one point in time, but they aren’t now. Sure, I found I was impatient with others who didn’t have the success that I did (then) with only doing simple things and wondered why they didn’t. It’s EASY! Yes, I’ve said it before, too.

But if it were simple, and it were easy, you wouldn’t have the problems people do, or the confusion; or the frustration of WHY something that worked BEFORE for them, suddenly ISN’T.

Welcome to life over fifty, female, low-thyroid, and exhaustion from Fibromyalgia. Where fruit makes you shaky and fat; apparently the green in your green smoothies messes with your thyroid even more; where grains make you bloat; and meat only TASTES good, but doesn’t FEEL good and sits in your belly.

No, it’s not simple, and it’s not easy. And at 163 pounds, I’m the heaviest I’ve ever been..and still frustrated about what MIGHT work.

16. hyesun says:

i was never fat/obese, but it seems like every female (myself included) in america wants to be a size 2 and is always restricting their food in some way. so i was a chronic dieter my whole life, which, now i realize caused all sorts of nutritional deficiencies, which then caused hormonal/neurotransmitter deficiencies/imbalances, etc etc. of course those deficiencies set me up for all kinds of addictive behaviors, as well as ruining my health. so now i refuse to diet, never again!!!!!!!! i’m much more concerned with my health than with my weight now, so i eat whatever/however much i want as long as it’s unprocessed, organic, and when possible, local. my diet is mostly plant based (veggies), but i also eat organic grassfed dairy, and grassfed local meats and pastured eggs. oh, and “safe” fish. and then i just try to be active (i don’t overexercise any more, like i used to). it works!

17. Joanne says:

Reply to Kathleen,

I have been 60 pounds heavier than I am today. After years of yo-yo dieting, I saw an ND who diagnosed me as hypoglycemic and said I had to get the sugar out of my diet. I felt so unwell at the time – joint pain, mood swings with severe PMS, fatigue, cloudy thinking – at only age 40! So cutting out the sugar was easy because I was so desperate to feel well, and 40 pounds came flying off with really no effort. Life without sugar was great. Then, one day, about 5 years later, I found myself eating a bag of cookies in a trance-like state, following a very stressful and tiring event. I couldn’t stop and I was scared. I was out of control and I didn’t know how I was ever going to regain control again. Providentially, a few days later, a friend told me about his experience in Overeaters Anonymous. Listening to his story, I knew this was what I needed. I had a sugar addiction. I felt at home at the first meeting and was able to abstain from sugar again, releasing another 20 pounds with no effort. The weight has stayed off and I have become well emotionally and spiritually. I am a Nutritionist now and know that some of my clients will need more than a plan of eating; they will need OA. I encourage you to google OA and find out where there is a meeting near you. It’s FREE to attend and the dividends are priceless! We say it’s the easier, softer way.
    Blessings,
    Joanne

18. Aime says:

WOW – What a way to start of the year! Thanks Kevin. I swear I am that person you wrote about.

When young I was NEVER fat & ate junk in comparison to my diet now. College I gained weight & worked to loose most of it. Then had children & ballooned when pregnant – after each child struggled to loose the weight. I did loose 70 lbs after my 2nd child doing Body For Life program exercising daily & eating following the program including using the completely unnatural likely toxic protein powders & bars. Then had another child & once again ballooned & kept the weight. Exercising daily with no avail.

Finally I had health problems start affecting me & searched for a ND help & learning about natural health. I fasted under supervision & got down to 140 after one but started gaining once eating even very healthy foods. The ND thinks I have tumors that grow & thus the weight. I continue to struggle. I am 40-50 lbs over where I want to be. I know my hormones & thyroid are messed up & know that’s part of it – working on them. I want to feel good again in my own body. I know it’s not just the weight & try to focus on HEALTH but it’s hard to feel healthy when overweight. Buying FAT clothes is enough to depress anyone! And for the person who said it’s EASY – I pray you don’t eat those words someday. My heart goes out to ALL people who are heavier than they were created to be. Thank you to those who are sharing TRUE information.

19. hyesun says:

btw, i love that picture of your grandpa at your wedding. it’s so beautiful, and he looked great at 90 years old. is he still alive? how is he doing?

20. Wanda says:

Hi Kevin, In 2006 I was size 18+, now I am entering my forth year as size 10. What did I do to change my life? I ran a food diary, and I logged in everything I ate and drank, and I compared it to the energy level I experienced. Through that process I uncovered problem foods which were blocking me from losing body volume. I eliminated the problem, and the weight dropped away.

I reduced the size of my dinner plate, and I removed the larger size clothes once they no longer fitted me, so I was not tempted to get back up to that size again.

21. Elaine says:

Last week, I read a New York Times article, “The Fat Trap,” by Tara Parker-Pope.

A few studies have unearthed some amazing (to me) information: once the body drops 10% or more of its weight, muscle efficiency drops 25%.

This means once a person reaches, say, 150 pounds, and moves to the same maintenance diet and exercise routine as a 150 pound person who has never dieted, the dieter will gradually regain because he or she only has 75% of the muscle power the non-dieting 150 pounder has.

So, as Gail (above) notes, it is not easy. This study explains why people try so diligently, yet never quite make it where they want to be. And they are fighting against something they do not know exists.

I think Kevin’s first law is “point on” and explains why it is just as naive to take weight loss tips from a thin person as it is to take them from an overweight person. Most thin persons have never dieted, so what do they know? According to the article, metabolism is very important in the calculation, so, again, a thin person with a fast metabolism cannot help an overweight person whose metabolism is slow.

The first part of the article discusses the insensitivity and negativity overweight persons receive because others do not know the science of weight loss and tend to reduce the issue to laziness, suggesting overweight people eat less and exercise more.

I learn more about the perils of weight loss every day. This article let me know that half a century has been spent fighting a dragon I could not see.

22. Morgan Wellinger says:

i thought I’d share my way of life, because I have to say, I am extremely happy where I am. I am rarely, if ever, ‘sick’, and am in a great mood every day.

I find the best food plan (not diet) for me is one that excludes most carbs and dairy. Very paleo-like, except I do occasionally include quinoa.

Veggies, fruits, and occasional quinoa are my carbs, good quality proteins are foundation, and a moderate amount of fats including avocado, extra virgin olive oil, coconut, and raw, soaked seeds and nuts is what makes me feel my best.

Plus, I supplement with a raw food multi-vitamin (Garden of Life), probiotics, Vitamin D, and occasionally magnesium powder, B-vitamins and zinc.

I exercise daily, but it is mostly just walking, biking, light cardio and/or pilates.

PLEASE PEOPLE, GET OFF THE DAMN SCALE AND JUST FOCUS ON HOW YOU FEEL AND LOOK. YOUR WEIGHT IS AN ILLUSION AND SHOULDN’T CONTROL YOUR HAPPINESS.

Get to love food, but don’t let it control you. It is your fuel, and you want to fill up your body with the best it can get. Don’t live to eat, but eat to live! To health!

Wishing everyone a happy and healthy new year!

23. Maureen Cram says:

Apart from eating in a different way, I would recommend some no-cost emotional help. You can get a lot of info on meridian tapping for letting go of weight at http://www.eftuniverse.com – No drugs involved and you can learn how to do this very easily.

If you need more help then yes you can go to a qualified EFT therapist to help (and pay a fee obviously) but start off with the stuff that doesn’t cost you anything.

24. Bonnie Pickhardt says:

I do not have a Facebook Account. I learned in High School that it was a good deal more difficult to lose a pound than to gain one, so was careful to keep my weight in check, never becoming overweight. It was easier to leave baked goods at the store, so as not to be tempted with unwise choices.

It is especially important to choose high-fiber foods that will be satisfying. Cheerios, for example, do not work for me. I would probably have to eat about four bowls to feel satisfied, so I find shredded wheat a far preferable choice, as I won’t feel hungry for hours. I have no problem with gluten, but so as not to develop an allergy, I have Hodgson Mills Oat Bran every other day, with a bit of raw blue agave nectar (similar to maple syrup), and 1/4 to 1/2 tsp. of xylitol, as an aid to digestion. Xylitol can be ordered online, and has some anti-bacterial and anti-inflammatory properties. It also has a laxative effect, so be careful to add just a little bit. I sometimes add a tablespoon or two of wheat germ for an additional nutritional boost. Oatmeal and oat bran are nearly identical, nutritionally, but I prefer the flavor of oat bran, as oatmeal tastes better with added salt, and oat bran is acceptable without having to add salt.

25. Leam says:

What ever happened to the great weight loss challenge (it’s been so long that I’m not sure of the title anymore)? Will we ever know the results or was it simply to help families/individuals and that’s all? This of course was from back in the daily video days. Anyway, always wondered what was the end result – thought one day there would be a video:-)

26. heather says:

At the age of 15 I weighed about 200lbs being a 5’5 female with a small-medium build. What is so funny now is that I am 20 and have managed to lose 90lbs(the last twenty of which I did not try to lose but am glad the excess fell off anyway 🙂 ), if I try to explain to someone that I weighed that much at one point, no one wants to believe me. They tend to stand there with their mouth open.

Having a mother whom weighed over 350, was diabetic and had many other health issues, and whom constantly purchased junk food for our household I had an example of what I never wanted to be.
    It was difficult growing up with your brothers making fun of you for being overweight.
    From the ages of 12-14 I was shown examples of people living a vegetarian lifestyle and something inside of me told me to research until I knew enough about it to be comfortable with any angle thrown out there against it.

Slowly I became more conscious of the world around me and what they were doing to our food supply, my research led me from a vegetarian, to a vegan and then a raw food lifestyle. At this point my brain is boggled with a lot of information but good, solid information too.

While growing up I used to wish I had never been overweight in my life.
    I had to overcome a lot of cravings, a lot of binge and purge issues, a lot of guilt, shame and depression.

I now see it as a great blessing.

While most people walk around in their day unconscious of what they’re putting in their bodies which affects them down to the molecular level, sure some may be able to get away with eating whatever they want(for now) but I feel my blessing is in the information and experience I have gained through leading an example of a different lifestyle that I personally find to be fulfilling in more ways than physical health alone.

I am very thankful that anytime I needed to know something and discern it past the typical back and forth debate of opinions about certain nutrient or protein deficiency or requirements, the universe immediately stumbled answers into my path.

Occasionally I feel alone in my escapade but when I look back on the past few years I realize I have actually touched a lot of people’s lives for the better by spreading my zest for something greater. Suddenly I have people who were not at first receptive to my ideas about a healthy lifestyle, flocking to me for more information seeing now that something isn’t working out.

My step mother is now off all artificial sweetners(three weeks worth of migraines but she made it!) and tells me she now buys organic fruit because of me. This is a great step into furthering her health and finding her own lifestyle that works for what she wants to accomplish health wise. She is extremely receptive to what I have to say which means I can also outreach to my father more too.

My mother is the more stubborn one who has been yo-yo dieting all her life but is slowly becoming more receptive to my ideas about how to handle her diabetes.
    (To make a note; at the age of 19 I had to take care of an older diabetic man whom was in his sixties, and has had three strokes previous to him staying in my care. This means that he was not altogether there as he used to be. I had to learn and managed to reteach him how to give himself shots, test his blood sugar, and was able to get him off his insulin in about a month. This was an interesting story because I had never dealt with anything like this before and the universe decided this was going to be my responsibility.)

I think as long as you are eating a high uncooked diet, and leading some form of active lifestyle, that’s about all it takes. I think as we all begin to age further into our lives, the times at which we are eating and not eating become more so drastically important because your organs are actually peaking at their performance level during certain times of the day.

Helping your body through its constant state of detox is what is going to help you age slower and stay healthier.

Truthfully I agree that what one person THINKS works best for them, then that is what is going to work best for them, in regards to all raw versus high raw. What you think really does have a great credence to your own personal reality.

One more note, do your research on GMO’s, join the battle and avoid them where you can. It is time to heal our mother earth.

27. IH says:

Again a very interesting article. I have seen books of the Gabriel method but I had never taken a look at it seriously until a few minutes ago. Although I have never had a weight issue or counted a calorie in my life I’m interested in finding out his approach through you Kevin because I have friends that struggle with weight issues. It is so true that if you want to achieve anything you should find someone who has succeeded in what you would like to get. If you would like to grow well in you nineties or become a centenarian successfully it is indeed a smarter decision to talk to a person who actually achieved this and find out what they did rather than investing your money in “longevity tonics” sold by people in their forties who are very smart business people. LIke in the Blue zones, the people that I have met who achieved an old age never did something “radical” or “extreme” They also have lived in times (second world war) where food was scarce and they seem when it comes to food to keep it simple and do not overindulge. The ladies of an old age that I have met do/did not deprive themselves. Also an important factor. Lets face it: any lifestyle no matter how healthy, is depriving you if you “fall of the wagon” or “go to town” when it comes to food I have seen it myself very closely. However, we all know that diet is an important component of any serious weight loss program and the people that you mentioned who lost their weight permanently have used diet as an important tool whether this is a 100% raw food diet or a whole foods, high raw diet.

I would like to share something that lately happened in my family. My husband has followed the Hippocrates institute diet for 2 years for health reasons. We have had a lot of success with it although he still ended up having surgery. Since he hadn’t seen his father for 2 years, his dad was quite impressed with how he looked and the amount of weight he lost on this program and kept it off. My father in law (80) is the typical British man who always was very difficult to convince that lifestyle changes do make a difference. He nukes all his food in the microwave and thinks that nuclear energy is the way to go for the future so we all had given up on him and actually did not discuss healthy food or anything of that matter anymore. When my husband explained the life style he was following he got actually quite interested but every body had the attitude of “Yeah wright”. Imagine the following: he has been doing a mostly plant based diet for the last 2 months very willingly and lost 20 pounds. He was very moderate with the “holiday foods”, and treats when he visited and did not “go to town” at all. He is very pleased with his results and has committed to continue because obviously he is benefitting from it.

28. […] I shared Law #1 of the Undeniable Laws of Lasting Weight […]

29. Paula says:

Re: Gabriel Method. I looked at the 3 free recipes and with all due respect, condoning ghee and eggs and whatever other animal products are in your program, perpetuates the exploitation and cruelty towards animals. It is ethically, environmentally, and health-wise, socially irresponsible and unethical to do so. Why not show some footage of both factory farms and suppposedly “humane” farms? Getting a handle on one’s weight issues is not just about our own health and vanity … there are other sentient creatures on this planet to consider. Wow, how human anthropocentrism continues …

30. Alice J. McDowell says:

“But the question is – if you have weight to lose – will any of these products and programs actually work for you?”

For me, EFT is the best alternative solution for weight loss. I don’t know but EFT works with me than weight loss supplements. By the way, i found this EFT site http://eft.mercola.com/ and i just want to know here knows this site? Is this a good reference?