Yummy, Healthy Recipes for Stronger Bones : Exclusive Renegade Health Article

Thursday Dec 8 | BY |

miners lettuce
None of these recipes include Miner’s Lettuce, but you definitely can add it… we provide the canvas, you make the brushstrokes!

Since we’re getting close to the end of “Osteoporosis Prevention Week,” I wanted to give you something today that you could really take with you and use on a regular basis…

And, of course, what’s better than some great recipes!

Over the past 4-5 years, my wife Annmarie and I have been traveling around the country filming our lives as we explore natural health in the United States (and beyond!)

We’ve meet with some amazing healthy chefs and in this post, I want to highlight 3 great mineral rich, bone healthy recipes for you that you can share with your family or anyone else you think may need a little mineral boost.

Two of these recipes are quick and easy and the other is a little more involved, but totally worth the time.

So without further introduction, let’s get rolling (Be sure to read and watch all the way to the bottom since you’ll want to post a comment today)…

First up, Cucumber Arame Salad!

Raw Food Recipe – Cucumber Arame Salad

1.5 Oz of Arame
4 cucumbers, peeled and very thinly sliced
2 tsp. sea salt
1 red pepper, diced
1 small red onion, diced
1/3 cup apple cider vinegar
2 Tbsp unrefined oil
pinch of pepper

Soak arame for 15 mins in enough water to cover. Sprinkle sea salt on cucumbers and let set for several minutes to release juices. Discard soaking water from arame. Chop arame and add to cucumbers. Add all other ingredients and toss! 🙂

Second? Bone Densi-tea Soup…

Bone-Densi-Tea

2 cloves garlic
1/2 small onion
3 large stalks of celery
sea salt to taste
cayenne to taste

For the Tea:
Combine all ingredients in pot. Heat to 145-150 for 20 min, let steep for an hour. Drain out leaves.

For Soup:
Combine all ingredients in blender, except a small handful of onions, celery, sea salt and cayenne. Blend until smooth. Add in others and briefly chopping for some chunkiness.

Finally, Dulse Chopped Salad…

Raw Food Recipe for Dulse Chopped Salad

1 head of romaine lettuce
2 small cucumbers
2 tomatoes
1 cup of soaked dulse

Chop into bite size pieces.

Dressing:

1/3 cup water
1/4 cup rice vinegar
2 tbsp sesame oil
1 clover garlic
1 tbsp dulse
1 tbsp cilantro
pinch of white pepper
pinch of Chinese 5 Spice

Blend well 🙂

Enjoy with some chop sticks!

That’s it for today, tomorrow, we’ll wrap up the week by answering your questions!

Your question of the day: What questions do you have about bone health that you’d like me to answer?

NOTE: On seaweeds, please ask your seaweed provider if they test for radioactive materials and/or heavy metals.

Also, we’re running a week long special on Dr. Williams’ “The Complete Bone Health Solution” program! This is over 2 hours of audio and transcripts that will give you his complete bone health supplement and food recommendations.

Here’s where you can get that now…

1. Justin says:

I like the “tea soup”. I recently have been trying the herbal infusions (mentioned by Susun Weed) that contains these same herbs for the bones.

Excellent video and article!

2. I love the recipes for bone health, especially the tea and the seaweed dishes. Ocean Harvest Sea Vegetable Company http://www.seaweedmermaid.com does test for radiation. We had radioactive “FREE” seaweed harvest test results this year, so all of our seaweed is safe. Not only is it safe, it is local for those in the Western US, WILD, raw, sundried and really YUMMY! Be careful of the seaweeds you might purchase from Korea, China and Japan. Many of them are farmed and mass produced, so you don’t know any of the harvest or drying processes. I had a customer order Ocean Harvest Sea Veggies to send to his family in Korea because he said the farmed seaweed did not have the same wonderful flavor as the wild seaweed did.

3. Anna says:

Hi Kevin, what do u think about taking egg shell with lemon juice in order make it calcium citrate ? I used to take it for some time untill run out of organic eggs and now I switched to liquid calcium which is herbs only actually similar to your tea. Thanks

4. Lori says:

What about the radiation from bone scans being harmful? I am 47 and I have been avoiding them for that reason and because my doctor would likely prescribe a bone drug, which I would not want to take.

5. LynnCS says:

Just a note about Hijiki. I get mine at “Gold Mine Natural Foods” on the internet. They are japan based and adress all concerns the customers have about radiation. kevin, you would enjoy getting to know the owner, and maybe doing some interviews with her. LynnCS

6. Donna says:

Thank you for all of the VERY useful info! Any additional words of wisdom for people with metal implants, like knees, hips, shoulders? Does Dr. Williams program address this issue?

7. Donna says:

Forgot to mention: I love to use Chai Tulsi tea as a base for pumpkin/squash soup.

8. LynnCS says:

Kevin.. a ps on that info. Gold Mine is in San Deigo, so if you are near there, you might drop in an see how things are prepared. There are some videos around You Tube too. You’ll love talking with the owner.

My fave sea vegetable is Wakame. I can throw the Ready to Use Wakame in any warm/hot food and it adds so much to soups/stews etc. I have so many wonderful dishes I used to make in my non raw days that I miss. I am glad to be able to talk about them here because I know you understand my ambivalence toward staying 100% raw. I love my “macrobiotic” based foods, but know that I am not good with grains, so will try to adapt to more quinoa over brown rice and other adaptions if I do go back to any of those dishes. (I have some wonderful ones.) Now that I have seen the wonderful Annmarie make a raw dish with the Arame, I will try some adaptions.

I also love to Use Kombu in beans and other soups. Makes a beautuful broth. I have had it soaked and raw too, so am reminded to start using them in raw foods. I might just pour Hot water over to soak, along with angle sliced carrots,onions,dried shitakes and/or any other vegis to create a nice crunchy/chewy salad. I don’t wash, rinse or wipe off my sea vegis, even the kombu. It has great natural nutrients on it and I try to keep it all natural in it’s essence too. I cut the combu in squares and layer it in with the vegis as a wonderful vegi side or salad. Sprinkle with soaked/sprouted/dried sesame seeds ground with a little sea salt. My raw version of Gomashio. Another sprinkle might be a little shiso powder. I am trying to stay raw, but need to be aware too that not all nutrients may be destroyed by some hot water soaking, so it makes it easier to adapt. Thanks for getting my juices flowing again for the wonderful sea vegetables. O BTW. These are “Emerald Cove” brand. From where, not sure, but somewhere on the internet, I’m sure. Wish you well on your search. Lynn CS

9. LynnCS says:

Sorry, another ps on not washing it. I do soak and let any sediment fall to the bottom of the bowl and discard that. It may have a lttle sand, but I try to not wash away the good surface white residue from the wonderful ocean. Thanks, lynn

10. LynnCS says:

I saw some “raw warm soup” made by a raw food host on You Tube with Nettle or Nettle tea. Still haven’t tried it, but yet another on my list to try. I want to know where to forage for nettle or where to buy it here. Have to get out in the cold and look around. Thanks Annmarie for the great recipes. Lynn

11. esther says:

dulse is my favorite, followed by nori, which with avocados is my ideal travel food, so easy to make avo wraps and you can use plastic cutlery, even a spoon –
    using a knife and cutting board, keeping it simple is my style and you don’t a power source –
    love your smiles, thanks for yummy ideas

12. LynnCS says:

Might as well answer the question on gadgets while I’m here, because I just bought a Chefdini off of a late night tv ad. I don’t have a food processor and don’t want to spend any more on expensive gadgets, so this looks like a good non electric option. It has a lot of options for prep, but honestly, for most preps, I prefer a great knife and cutting board. Annmarie, I like the way you hold your big knife in that first video. That is the way I learned too when I was learning Macrobiotics.
    Secondly I just ordered some Yonanas. It is a way to create frozen(ice cream)like desert with no added almond milk or other liquid. When you showed making almond milk and I found some almonds that met my standards, I went for the frozen fruit and almond milk “ice cream” but started putting weight on. The fruit was ok, but I think I overdid the fatty almond milk. Yumm!! This gadget is supposed to allow the desert to be made solely from the frozen fruit. Banana plus any berry/peach..etc. Haven’t tried it yet. Still ripening the bananas, but I decided to send them to family for Christmas. Seems like the best way to get them off some dairy without hounding them. They don’t listen anyway. Christmas shopping done!! Woohoo!! Thanks for all of this great information. Todays email, post and videos on my favorites list. Love, Lynn

13. Gail says:

Thank you so much! My question, is it possible to repair a badly deteriorated hip bone and cartilage instead of having a hip replacement? This is a serious condition and needs attention very soon, a great deal of pain is involved.

If you can’t respond online I would much appreciate a private response. Thanks, Gail

14. Nabilla says:

a quick one – i’ve read so many literature about our body not being able to absorb the type of calcium found in most raw vegetables. Is this true? If now, how much of the calcium in raw veggies is our body able to absorb?

15. Rocio says:

Kevin and Dr. Williams: when to take the HCL? with the meal, after or..
    thank you.

16. Anna says:

Happy Belated Anniversary Kev & Annemarie!!! You are a lovely couple, & I hope you have many more happy years together.

BTW, I love the topics for today’s show. The timing was perfect. I just ordered some dried herbs fr Mt Rose Herbs (nettle, chickweeed, chrysanthemum, dandelion root) and was just going to search the web for some interesting & tasty ways how to prepare them. Then I got your e-mail in my inbox. Turns out the Bone Densi-Tea Soup was exactly what I was looking for. Thanks!

17. My favorite kitchen tool – my ceramic knives. Can’t get by without!

18. Sally says:

Hello!!! 😀

Is there any recipe that i can make for strong bones like
    Super fast???
    ‘Cuz we dont have some of the ingredients you’ve mentioned
    And yeahsz.
    So is there any replacement or new kid recipes for stronger
    Bones???

THANKS!!!!

🙂

19. Lorraine says:

I was also wondering where to source the nettle from. I see some natuaral places sell nettle tea, in tea bags. Is that good? It did not say it was from Peru though, but from South America.
    I must try the Arame when I find the it. I have found almost every other seaweed, but not that yet. I eat dulse quite often because it is high in Calcium.
    Thanks for the recipes and this week. Happy Anniversary!

20. Jana says:

For two years now I’ve been buying filtered drinking water. I’ve collected 4-liter glass jugs that are just right for collecting a gallon at a time. They weigh 12 pounds each when full, 3 when empty. I collect water for my mom too and she drinks from half-gallon glass pitchers. She’s 84 and the full gallons are too heavy for her. Any chance that either of us is improving bone health on top of the benefits of drinking clean water?

21. Annette says:

Hi there

I would appreciate your views on the radiation disaster. Since it happened I stopped eating japanese seaweed altogether.

Shouldn’t we be very careful with that stuff?

Thanks!
    Annette.

22. Janice says:

I am 57 years young. I eat 50-70% raw and 10-20% organic protein.
    I have a hip replacement in my right hip which is perfect but I have pains in my legs.
    In the front like a shin splint, feels like a bruise if I touch it and sometimes throbs.
    Sometimes at night when I sleep I get pains shooting down my legs.
    My NMMD thinks maybe some calsium would help.
    Any thoughts? I think it relates to the way I walk, which is different than the way I walked before my hip bone eroded (which was caused by a car wreck where my car hit a brick wall at 70 MPH – broke a lot of my bones). I have even legs and try to walk a lot but can’t figure out the pain….

23. Chris says:

Why do you remove the cucumber peel? I use Lebanese cucumbers and always eat the skin.

Given that exercise is important for bone health – what alternative is there for an elderly person whose movement is restricted for digestive reasons – exercise causes other problems?

24. Leam says:

Nice to have these “back in the day” videos – new in the kitchen videos would be great!

25. Jesse Artus says:

Is this a post for vegans? I am sure that these are good recipies to support bone health, however making broth from actual animal bones gives the exact materials that bones need in a highly absorbable form. Its that simple. Good luck everyone!

26. Josea C. says:

Wondering if its best to simmer the horse tail & oatstraw alone and then just steep the others…my training says don’t boil the others… my fave with nettles is actually a moonlight infusion:)

27. Angela F. says:

I am enjoying the cucumber arame salad. I even brought it for a Christmas party along with homemade hummus and whole wheat pita. Being vegan, I bring the food I know I can eat! The salad was well received and lots of questions about what the arame was. I made a couple modifications: did not add oil and really didn’t seem to need the salt.

Thanks for the recipe and video. : ) Who says you have to gain weight during the holidays?

28. Yes I agree Kevin you got a mineral rich recipe salad there for sure.

The seaweed is loaded with minerals that is deficient in land based plants grown conventionally in todays agricultural business so organic is very important for this. Eating weeds in your garden with deep root systems will add more calcium and supporting minerals as well to the salad.

I like to pour some of my left over green smoothie over the salad and sprinkle some bee pollen and milled seed on top for added mineral support.

Vitamin C is important for mineral absorption so I like to include some citrus like lemon,lime, orange with cold pressed apple cider vinegar with a little bit of raw organic unfiltered honey.

Barry Gourmet & Raw

29. Jackie says:

I like dulse and it gets a very nice flavour if you soak it in orange juice.