Detox Right! …Without Nasty Side Effects or Crappy, Half-Cleanses : Exclusive Renegade Health Interview

Thursday Dec 1 | BY |

It’s no secret to you or I that some information that circles around in health communities is not always the best…

For me, I tend to look at things pragmatically and work with the best of natural and integrative thought and – more importantly – practice.

Cleansing is a big topic, but I can tell you that the most overused word I hear in the crowd we run around with is “detoxification symptoms.”

In today’s interview with Arnoux Goran, we talk about detoxification symptoms as well as how to avoid using crappy products for cleansing. (Believe me, there are plenty!)

Let’s get into it (my written commentary follows!)…

arnoux goran

Click the play button to start the call:

Download

Here are my thoughts…

1. Is cleansing without a reaction possible?

Good news, it is!

Dr. Mark Hyman and I had an interview a few years ago where he explained how the no-pain, no-gain mentality around cleansing and detox is bogus.

If they body it showing signs of discomfort for longer than a day or so, it means that you’re likely hurting it.

Arnoux echoes some of this sentiment, though not exactly in the same way Dr. Hyman did.

What I think is more important to note here is that detox symptoms are real, but they also can be misinterpreted.

I’ve seen many people explain off real health challenges (and mostly inadequate diets) by saying that they’re experiencing detoxification.

Look, if you start to get nasty acne like boils on your face after switching your diet and they stay there – even two years after – this is no longer detox. It’s the diet you switched to. I can almost guarantee it.

Your body is an incredible cleansing machine. It’s meant to detox, so if you get out of the way and give it great fuel it will do most of the work – and fast.

Two things you may need to be concerned about are heavy metals and other industrial chemical compounds. These both may need more medical detoxification protocols like chelation.

2. Your cleansing experience depends on your ability to eliminate as fast as you’re cleansing.

Arnoux talks about the cleansing process and explains that if you’re not eliminating during the cleansing process you will feel detoxification systems.

Think of cleansing like your shower drain. If it’s clear, all the water going into the tub is going to go down fast. If your drain is all stopped up, the water is going to be held back and pool in the tub.

In this analogy, water is relatively harmless – unless you slip – but in your body it could be different. What if you were unable to detoxify from acid forming foods, or heavy metals and they build up in your system. This hold up could lead to poor health long term – but in the short term or during cleansing – it can lead to really uncomfortable symptoms.

So in order to do a cleanse right, you need to move as quickly or as slowly as your detoxification channels allow – meaning your intestines, kidneys, liver, skin and more.

3. Intestinal cleanses must have bulk, but in many cases start gently.

A lot of people like intestinal cleanses, because they assume that you just have to take some capsules and everything will be good. Of course, this is not always the case.

Intestinal cleansing requires some sort of bulking agent to be very effective. It also requires a clever approach.

I, like Arnoux, don’t like excessive use of psyllium husk particularly for those with an inflamed gut. If you have gut issues, you may want to give it a break by eliminating any foods that may cause the inflammation (or make it worse) first, allow the gut to calm and then cleanse gently.

Arnoux mentions using fresh aloe vera in your smoothies or even making an aloe drink with green juice as a way to start the gut cleansing process. I think this is a great way as well. The aloe is very soothing to the gut and will help calm the inflammation and hopefully allow you to heal faster.

4. Green juice as a supplement.

Green juice to me is a fantastic supplement to a healthy diet. It’s something that you add to your health protocol to get some great nutrients that are highly absorbable.

I dislike hearing people say that it’s bad for you because there is no fiber. These people preach juicing is bad because there’s no bulk – forgetting the fact that anyone who’s drinking green juice likely gets much more than the daily recommended value of fiber daily. The illogical nature of this argument makes me wonder what else they’re illogical about.

A similar argument I dislike is when people say distilled water is bad because it will suck minerals out of the body. While it may do so, you have to remember if you’re eating a super-mineral rich diet, you may not have to worry about this at all.

So, with that said, green juice is an excellent supplement to drink. Enjoy it, don’t stress and introduce your favorite recipe to a friend.

5. Eating healthy isn’t the only factor.

I wrote about this yesterday, so I won’t dwell on it again today, but please make sure you look at all factors of your health. Eating is just one aspect. Yes, it’s important, but it’s not the only factor that will determine your own personal longevity.

Your Question of the Day: What is your favorite detox protocol?

You can read more about Arnoux here: http://www.thmastery.com/

1. Tara Burner says:

I dont have a fav detox protocol
    I just kinda do a few different ones, different ways depending on how my body feels.
    Sometimes it’s just a juice fast, other times water fast and every now and then I’ll incorporate specifics…guess I should get more serious and research (meaning read/listen to more of what you have here) other methods

2. grace says:

You are recommending green juices, and they were recommended on the Healing Cancer Summit. I have done carrot/beet juices, but green juice is new to me.
    Can you please give some recipes for green juices!!
    thanks!

3. LynnCS says:

I am so glad to hear someone address ulcers, diverticulitis and IBS. It’s not going away, but since I have been raw, I am better. Symptom and reactions are better. I have not wanted to do a cleanse because of this issue. I do like juicing and want to find a source for the Aloe. If anyone has a source, Please send it along. UT..Luvintherawlife. I do know how important minerals are, so I am trying to learn the values of the raw foods. Seems like we shouldn’t need so many supplements if we eat a balanced vegan diet. No animal products here. Not going to be “open minded” on that one. Wishy Washy is more like it. Cleansing happens along the way of eating better. Not just my opinion. It is the way the body works. Take away what is bad for it and give it what it needs and voila. Raw Vegan is working for me and will for everyone who does it in the healthiest way possible.

Thanks Kevin for bringing these diverse opinions. Makes it easier to be selective on who to listen to. Although it may be a little confusing it is starting to make me even more sure of what I am doing. No one can be a better expert for your/my body than you/me.

4. Candice says:

More often I see cleansing kits in drugstores and health food stores. The most common consist of an herbal laxative (cascara sagrada) and some fiber. It seems like a fairly simplistic view of what detoxing should be. A wheatgrass fast (with green juices)has worked well for me.

5. Rich says:

Greetings in reference to LynnCS I purchase Aloe leaves at the local Whole Foods or numerous Latin American Groceries in our neighborhood. Dr. Ohiras Essential Formula Probiotics has miraculous regenerating properties for gut issues

6. lizzy says:

My favorite way of detoxing is doing a little bit every day.

I don’t think it is the best way, its just the best for me.

Years ago i had more discipline and even water fasted a couple days, now though i can’t even juice fast. so what i find to help is just to add in great herbs, lots of water and lemon, aloe vera, as much greens as possible into my daily routine. ground flaxseeds.

i believe that in todays world really we can never finish detoxing. we can do radical detoxing or daily detoxing, but really we all need to incorporate detoxing herbs into our daily lifestyle.

Even if you are into raw food its very important to be aware of keeping a balanced diet. i see some raw food recipes that don’t make much sense to me. lots of dates and nuts, that is very heavy on the system.

it is important to eat fruits with lettuces, greens, and yes onion and garlic. sweet and savory tastes great and its the best way to keep the bacteria within the body balanced.

Daily cleansing is really something we need to focus on possibly a bit more.

7. Antonieta says:

thank you so much for the tips, I know about the detox effects, you feel so sick that I’ve been trying to repeat my intention of detoxifying without success. It really makes me feel very hungry. Depending on your life style, for me the best thing is focusing on eating as many vegetables as possible and avoiding the other kinds of food, although I need something extra to feel strong enough to go through my day, generally it is rice and almonds and some kelp and yes, as much coconut oil because I feel the need of it. blessings to you all.

8. Marlies says:

I do an essential oil cleanse from doTERRA twice a year. The capsules are filled with certified pure therapeutic grade oregano, melaleuca, lemon, lemongrass, peppermint, thyme essential oils and caprylic acid. I do this for 10 days and follow with probiotics right after.
    So many have an overgrowth of yeast from their diet, medication and stress and all the toxins that we inhale, eat and some put on their skin. I believe that it is very good for all of us to do cleanses.

9. Jessica says:

I have found the Blessed Herbs Colon cleanse to be extremely effective. The only thing I would caution is to add aloe into your diet after the cleanse and continue with probiotics until you feel your digestion is back to normal.

10. Noelle says:

Is there a brand and spectrum of minerals and enzymes recommended? Would something like a nettles, oatstraw and red raspberry tea cover the minerals?

11. Yamina says:

I don’t have detox protocol because I definitely think that the only truly one is the power of the body itself ! As if you tell your body : “Hey good fellow ! I am going to pour into you this or that, a very good stuff that costed me quite a few pennies, a superfood in order that you make the best job possible to renew everything ! Cells, be careful to take properly the vitamins I am going to give you – expensive, don’t waste it ! – and straightly do a good eliminating job ! Clean this not so shinny skin, grow this not so long hair and nails… stop this stomach pain, etc.” It is not possible to command to our cells ! You may pour all the best superfood your can into your digestive tract, it is not the right way to improve your health because it is only the body that decides what to clean, how, when… etc. If it is not in a good state, with a powerful vital energy, or if the mind is overwhelmed with problems, sorrow, etc… all that you have poured into it will cause more damage than good. The only way to detox is to permit it to detox ! by avoiding to tax it by over and overfeeding, even with herbal drinks ! Anyway, the best protocol would be, if there is one, to cease to ingest ! STOP OPENING THE MOUTH ! Except for pure water, naturally. But just for a while. Cause, I am also… against… fast (I have secret reasons that I will reveal later after huuuuuuge announcement), so, if you want to detox without detoxying, the best way to, I used it since I am a child, and not in that purpose naturally, the popular wisdon recommends it, and the scientists too (especially to handle radiations, yes, perfectly !) is to eat… APPLES ! Fibers, vitamin C (the only care I have to be provided daily), pectin… (see wikipedia) For example, when I feel not so good as usual for having eaten a little too much chocolate for example, or some tuiles aux amandes that were not really desired by this miracle of sensitivity and cleverness that my body is, I just eat some apples (my body itself craves then for this fruit) and almost instantly I feel better. You don’t need to tax your body with enemas or other awful protocols, just eat this miraculous fruit, according to the word of Mr Mosséri. If you do need to feel cleansed (another mythology), be sure apples will smoothly scrap your intestines, wash its walls, perfume the environment if not… And like me, you’ll be younger than your age. I more rightly think that people are older than their age ! I have not heard the interview, yet, but I prefer videos, more understandable for me, as I can read on lips too. Thks for you edifying blog !

12. DrTy says:

I agree with this article, detox when done correctly can be a very powerful process that is a starting point for eradicating many symptoms.

LynnCS, I know of a few supplements that have been very effective at clearing up gastrointestinal ulcers. If you’d like to know more about them just drop me a line at drtyson@newhopchiros.com.

13. Ana says:

There are definite considerations required of your own dietary needs. If you have a blood sugar imbalance, you have to detox with that in mind.
    It is possible to design a detox program that works for you. Keep it simple to allow you to stay focused and establish a cleansing habit.

14. suzanne says:

I just started incorporating shredded apple, blueberries and bit of walnut in to my morning breakfast (along w/my grn. smoothie) and it has helped w/constipation a little.
    Kevin and others – I would like to know how you feel about enemas or colonics for disease avoidance. I eat a great diet but am still plagued w/less than optimal elimination so am considering daily? enemas for disease prevention. I think some of us just have genetically slower systems.

15. Sandra Nicht says:

I follow the philosophy of Ayurveda, which has its own 5,000 year old methods of detoxification (panchakarma), rejuvenation (rasayana), and “normal” diet and lifestyle (dinacharya). Detox/cleansing is usually practiced at the change of seasons to eliminate any accumulated “doshas”; one must be reasonably healthy to do this (sick people don’t do panchakarma) but everyone can benefit from aligning their diet and lifestyle to Mother Nature’s rhythms. I currently teach others how to do this partly within the yoga classes I teach but am now teaching workshops specifically to go deeper into these practices than I can in a yoga class…

16. Kathy says:

to LynnCS – over the years I have seen excellent results from Georges Aloe. http://warrenlabsaloe.com/

on people and animals.

BTW Kevin – keep up the good work!

17. Amy Husted says:

Personally I like drinking warm to hot water with a lemon in the morning and the evening. Bentonite clay is also a must along with cilantro and chlorella for me since I have amalgam fillings that I will be getting rid of in the new year.

18. Melina says:

My favorite cleanse is the Arise and Shine cleanse created by Dr. Richard Anderson. I was glad to hear Arnoux referencing Dr. Anderson’s book Cleanse and Purify Thyself. I agree that this book contains several jewels of wisdom. Like Arnoux mentioned, Dr. Anderson teaches that it is best to get your ph in the right range before you cleanse. This is predominately done by building your mineral reserves before cleansing and continuing to supplement with minerals and mineral rich foods during and after the cleanse. I did not have any detox symptoms when I did the Arise and Shine cleanse and felt really great during and afterwords. Comparatively, when I did the 3 week program at Hippocrates Health Institute I had some detox symptoms at the end of the first week. They were mild symptoms(fatigue and headache), but they were still noticeable. However, I did feel great at the end of the 3 weeks and think this type cleanse is good too. Lastly, I also did a week long green juice, nut milk, water and algae (E3 Live and clorella) fast too. This also went smoothly, but I was already fairly detoxed from eating a clean diet. I added the nut milk and the algae to try and avoid losing weight and to keep my blood sugar stable. Thanks to both Kevin and Arnoux for an interesting interview.

19. Donna says:

Kevin,

How do you do a detox with someone who have lungs cancer (mesatheloma). Is it even safe, I want to get them on a detox, refeed and rejuvinate program and not sure how to start, can you help me…

Please feel free to e-mail me.

Thanks again and keep up the good work.

20. CaitlinJ says:

Hi Kevin,

I’ve been following you for quite awhile now with great interest. I’ve developed several health issues in the last few years, some of them similar to what you have gone through. I just found out through a heavy metal urine test (with chelating agent) that I am hight in several metals including lead and mercury. I’m wondering if you have any info about how to safely detox heavy metals? I’ll be working with a naturopath but still would like to do my own research.

Thanks!