Which Water Filter is Right for You? : Exclusive Renegade Health Interview

Sunday Nov 13 | BY |

no water filter needed here
I hope this water was clean, because it was amazing here… (Tabacon Hot Springs, Arenal, Costa Rica)

Yesterday, water expert Jim McMahon and I spent some time talking spring water (here)…

But what I understand is that not everyone has access to water straight from the source.

Today, Jim and I talk about how to find out what’s in your city water, the difference between all different types of filters, his view on alkaline water ionizers and what bottled waters to drink – if you have to.

Here’s where you can listen in now (my commentary follows in writing below)…

jim mcmahon spring water

Click the play button to start the call:

Download

Here are my thoughts:

1. Caffeine found 640 feet deep in Puget Sound.

When Jim said this, I though it was so ridiculous, that I had to look it up to confirm.

It’s true.

You can read more here: Caffeine in the Puget Sound

This is a very evident example of how we are beings that are not independent of our environment. The condition of our environment is reflected in our bodies, just as the condition of our bodies reflect the condition of the environment.

To be even more exact, because we’re 70% or so water, we’re subject to all the contamination that the environment contains.

2. 43,000,000 Americans may be drinking water with sewage in it.

I didn’t know this, but apparently some states allow city water to be taken from sources that have sewage treatment plants upstream.

While I’m pretty sure this may be the only option for these municipalities, it doesn’t sit well with me – particularly since these people probably have no idea.

This is pretty serious evidence that anyone should have some type of filtration system.

3. How to get your city water report.

If you are on municipal water, you can see exactly what’s in your water. Each municipality must present these reports and sometimes it’s as easy as searching “[YOUR CITY] Water Report” in Google.

Once you find this, you can look at total dissolved solids, amount of minerals, additives and more.

Looking at this can determine what type of filter you can use.

4. Different strokes (systems) for different folks.

Jim talks about 4 different types of filters and what they do.

– Carbon Filters are great a removing choline and volatile organics like chloroform. Some of these are by-products of adding chlorine to the water.

– KDF Filters have an affinity to attracting metals by creating a small electric charge. These filters are good to remove heavy metals and other metals you may not want to have in your water.

– Reverse Osmosis Systems are very good at removing just about everything since the water is pushed through a very fine film. This type of filtration is very effective and generally removes 99.9% of contaminants.

– Distillation Systems evaporate water leaving only H2O. This is a great way to eliminate all contaminants, but could leave the water free of minerals as well. (I can’t say this is a negative thing if you’re eating a diet rich in minerals.

5. EPA levels are all part of a great compromise.

Jim doesn’t trust the EPA to tell him if water is safe or not because all the levels are based on compromise.

When change is suggested for water municipalities, there is a significant amount of government interference that happens. The most influential of course is what cost the city municipalities take on to meet the new standards.

This means there is a lot of push back from small towns that are generally already cash strapped – even if the new regulations are beneficial for the public.

6. The world has changed.

We’re not living in a natural, pristine environment any more. Jim states that there is mercury in every fish – and I believe it (or at least believe there is mercury in almost every fish!)

In this environment, we do have to protect ourselves from these toxins – even if we can’t see them (or if their effects are compounding.)

7. Get a test, save some money.

I’m a big proponent of this type of pragmatic approach to water (or health.)

Get your water tested and then get the system that works for your needs. It will save you money. It will save you stress.

You may even test your water and it’s perfect. No money out of pocket for a filtration system at all.

8. What if you have to drink bottled water?

It’s inevitable that you’ll have to drink bottled water from time to time. So if you have to, Jim suggests to get local, bottled spring water while you’re traveling.

Also, be aware that if you’re buying water from Fiji and you don’t live there, there is a huge environmental impact that will likely (over time) cause more damage to our water systems.

I want to know your thoughts: Do you drink bottled water when you travel? (Go ahead and post your thoughts at the bottom of this page.)

If you want to find out more about Jim McMahon, please visit his website here: http://www.cleanairpurewater.com

1. Tara Burner says:

I usually take some bottled water that I prepare at home when traveling

otherwise I’ll buy a bottle here or there if i have to but not Fiji because it just makes no sense to get water that’s been shipped over here, etc…

2. Jenny says:

How effective are filters such as Pur which I have used for years?

3. michael westrick says:

Very fortunate to have a spring in Marin and when I am in Palm Springs there is one in whitewater 10 miles away……Feel very blessed to live in CA

4. OM says:

Our town wants to add Zinc Orthophosphate to the water supply. We have tried our best to prevent this but should it go through is there any water filter that will remove zinc orthophosphate from the water? Since ZOP is a chemical combination used to coat the pipes will it also gum up any water filter we might use quickly? I have tried to find the answers to these two questions myself online but so far have been unable to find any answers for either question though I have written to several companies that sell water filters.

5. Jeff Bell says:

The material in the summary and in the audio recording is a good start for getting rid of many common contaminants. However, most water that does not come fro the few remaining pristine sources has much more in it to be concerned about. And many of these substances are not included in the mandated city tests. For example, hexavalent chromium is not included in any municipal reports that I know of. And yet, this very dangerous contaminant is found by independent testing in many areas of the U.S. Reverse Osmosis and good distillers will get rid of most of these. But then you are drinking “dead water”, that is missing the good minerals, and will also tend to be acidic, (not good for most of us).

I think the place to start is to find out what is really in your water to begin with, before you select any kind of filter or other water treating device. I use National Testing Laboratories in Texas. They offer a wide variety of tests that you can order on-line. I think it is worth it to get the most comprehensive test that you can. If your results come back relatively clean, then you might consider a good ionizer, with a good pre-filter. That could be all that you need.

If your water has a high level of contaminants then you might want to get a two-stage whole-house filter and then use the ionizer for your final drinking and cooking water.

I have more detail on this on my site: MyHealthOptimizer.com

6. Robby says:

I use the Santevia system, and am very happy with the results! To ensure as perfect water as possible, I start with the filtered, reverse osmosis water available at Kroger for $.29 a gallon, then let the Santevia do its magic.

7. Jim’s interview is good but very basic. There is so much more to drinking water than filtration and the advent of alkaline ionised water, and now non-electric technologies of the same with high antioxidant ability have revolutionised the humble filter. Sure, filter the water. But now for only slightly more $$$ water becomes so much more.

I suggest you take a look at http://www.waterfyi.com It’s not my site.. but it presents the new revolution in water as clearly as any site I’ve seen.

8. At home I drink ionized water. When traveling I drink bottled mineral water. I am in the UK and like Highland Spring as it comes from organic land protected from pollution.

When traveling abroad I always check to see how much sodium the bottled water contains. Some bottled waters are unsafe for babies because they have too much sodium. It’s best to look for one that has sodium lower than 20 mg/liter

9. Beth G. says:

My residence is based on well water and the city limits are municipal. Tried this and that and drank bottled water for convenience for years. Now I use a Berkey system and take my water with me as often as possible. I don’t travel much but I also have a small travel Berkey water bottle and use that when I go out of town. I’ll definitely try to remember to buy local if my options are limited.

10. Sandi says:

I use a Berkey water filtration system in my home, cleaning the tap water and removing all sorts of icky things from it. The filtered water tastes wonderful! I recommend it to anyone without reservation.

11. Dianne says:

I can’t find anywhere on the Internet or at the water filters sites where this chemical is mentioned: Di(2-ethylhexyl) phthalate which evidently is used to soften plastics. I did run a google on our city and that is what it said was in it! What kind of a filter will work to rid this stuff? Thanks.

12. Tami says:

My mom has been drinking RO water for years and now is having health problems due to drinking this de-mineralized water. I’ve heard that it’s important to drink mineralized water, can you recommend how to add minerals back into the drinking water?

13. MaryJane- says:

A French friend introduced me to Essentia bottled water, pH 9.5, reverse osmosis purified water, infused with electrolytes, and tastes good too…

14. Donna R says:

Where I live they use reverse osmosis from the ocean but they add chlorine and flouride. What is the best filterI would need to use? I usuall just run through a Brit filter and then there is a filter in my fridger (not sure what it removes as I just buy it when it goes out according to the brand of the fridge).

what are your take on the Brit filter

15. John says:

Acidic water brings Hydrogen Ions into the body that the body needs.

Water that is alkaline brings in hydroxides. Alkaline water begins to oxidize the body. In the short run, people feel better drinking alkaline water, but the long run it is not good. Japanese research has made this very clear.

You have to protect your water supply and the only way is you be in charge of it.

Distilled water gets out all the pesticides, herbicides, and nasty chemicals in water. It’s good to put the water through carbon filters to get rid of any possible gases that may have come across the distillation process. You also get out all the frequencies in water that are benficial. That’s not a good thing.

Upgrade the distilled water by putting a pinch of pink salt per gallon, that brings the water to about 50 parts per million and that gives you H3O, then you put minerals in it, and then you need to structure the water with crystal energy. Then you vortex the water. You can do this with a wooden spoon. Now you bless the water and let it sit out in the moon light over night. Sunlight disorganizes water, but moonlight organizes it. You take the water inside in the morning and you have high energy water. Put it on a tacan disc.

You can use reverse osmosis in place of distilled water, but you never know when the membrane is going to break.

Natural spring water is around 7.0 pH or a little less and that is good water.

16. valleygirl says:

Interesting. We use the PUR filter at home too as someone else asked about. When traveling we will buy bottles (but have learned to label read as the kind from Walmart only comes from “municipal water from Fort Worth, TX”). I want to buy those water bottles that have the filters in them…wonder if they do the job?

17. Jim Dee says:

We used to have a whole-house KDF system. It was awesome, but took some serious work to install. (So, if you’re not a DIY-er, and don’t know how to solder, then you need to seriously budget for the whole-house models.)

These days, we’re drinking spring water directly from a free spring just outside PDX, then filtered through a Berkey tabletop system.

18. Coco says:

I just bought a Berkey water filter as the survivalists go on and on about how top of the line it is, how you could filter swamp water with it if you had to, etc. So far so good, the unit works well and the water tastes very neutral. I hear there are sometimes problems with the filters coming apart that I certainly hope I don’t ever experience.

19. Joe Ann says:

I drink only Ozarka bottled water, I don’t know how good or bad it is for me, but I cannot drink our water as it comes from sewage. We live in Houston, Tx. We have to buy new coffee pot ever 2 months because they clog up from our water, I have ran vinegar through the old coffee pot before to see what I get out of it and I get a lot of white hard stuff – have no idea what it is. How can you find out what kind of bottled water is good?
    Thanks

20. Kate says:

Would love to know your opinion on Eldorado Springs Water in Colorado and how safe is the plastic bottle.

21. Chris Wark says:

Great post Kevin. It really is surprising how bad municipal water can be even in Memphis which supposedly has some of the “best water in the country”.
    It should be noted that bottled water companies do not have to disclose the purity of their water, which in come cases is simply tap water. Notice that none of them make any claims to remove harmful substances like heavy metals, chemicals, etc.

Most countertop filters like Pur do not remove fluoride. Sodium fluoride is a toxic byproduct of aluminum manufacturing that is illegal to dump into nature, but yet they can put in our water and toothpaste. Only distillers and certain reverse osmosis filters remove fluoride.
    We’ve used the Waterwise countertop water distiller since 2004 and love it. It’s cool because you can literally see the crud that the boiler has removed from our water. We also use the Showerwise shower filter.

22. Diane Boyer says:

Kevin, I am very new to you and your website, and I have to say I am surprised to read number four (i.e., above). It goes without saying I am not a water purification expert. However, what I do know of the subject is that reverse osmosis and distillation remove EVERYTHING in the water, including the beneficial minerals (basically as you more or less stated). But the problem with this, if I am correct in what I know of the subject, is that via some ionic process (I believe), the purified water you then consume will attract the minerals in your body to itself. So far as I am aware, this can lead to severe mineral deficiencies. I became fairly unwell from drinking distilled water, and thankfully I came to realize the crux of the problem. That being said, there are purification systems (one in particular that I know of) which will leave the minerals intact. I do not mention the name in the event someone thinks I work for the company, which I don’t. I am simply a customer. I put a fair amount of study into it — BUT perhaps when it comes to certain contaminants and metals, the system I utilize is not as efficient as other methods? It may be, but I offer this as a possibility since I am not a chemist, of course. I suppose it comes down to what issues are important from person-to-person. As for myself, after feeling unwell from drinking water without minerals, that was enough to make it a priority for me. And yes, you can add minerals to the water, but it makes for very distasteful drinking water. Take more minerals? Okay, but how do we know how much is enough to compensate, or how much is too much? I simply thought these were reasonable issues to mention on the subject. Thank you, though, for educating the masses.

23. Tara Bianca says:

I am very fortunate to live near a mountain spring. I try to take some when I travel. If I am unable to when flying, I will buy bottled water, but not just any bottled water, I read the label and I have researched various companies so I know what real options I have.

24. Jim says:

I drink bottled water when I travel, but I stay away from Nestle, and other large corporate bottlers such as Coca Cola and Pepsi’s water.

25. Catherine says:

I was just recently wishing that you would do something about water filters and the alkaline water ionizers, and you did it!!! This was so helpful. Good water is the best therapy for so many things that ail us.
    Thank you for keeping us all well informed.

26. Yakitah Jones says:

This was an awesome interview with Jim. I tend
    to lean more toward bottled water even at home.
    We do buy the localized bottled water from Sams’
    at a good price per case. I am old school also
    and will from time to time Boil water then cool
    it and strain through a cheese cloth and into glass bottles usually gallon jugs.

This mostly to cook with as well as refrigerate to drink from when I don’t want the plastic. I’ve learned a lot though from you about filters and will consider some of what I’ve heard here on your program. Thanks again,
    be blessed.
    Ya’

27. Cathy (Holistic Pharm D) says:

I’ve been using a Berkey filter for over a year now. I would like to hear what anyone else has to say about it too. I use the white and black filters to take out the fluoride. My mom has also been using one for about 6 months. The water tastes very smooth to me. I carry water from it in a stainless steel bottle just about everywhere I go (even in restaurants).

28. Shelly says:

I do exactly as you do Cathy, with my Berkey! I love my Berkey.. it lists all the components that it eliminates out from the filters ( I also have the black filter and white one too). We have used it for over 2 years now..although, recent research has me wondering about its alkalinity. I guess I could get strips to test for it to make sure its around 7. Having an acid diet and especially acid water just wont help one feel any more, or stay any more healthy, if the ph is too high or too low. Working on this….would like to hear more from others about ph balance in water.

29. Deb says:

I am now back to buying local bottled spring water which has usually only been in the plastic bottle for a couple of days when I purchase it. This makes me feel a little bit safer than bottles I see from national brands where the water has already been in that plastic bottle for weeks to months. I also took the time to call the company that bottles my water and they claim they are testing it hourly.
    I used to filter with a ‘Nasa’ designed filter that was supposed to take tons of contaminants out but leave the good minerals behind. That sounded good but I had concerns over the fact that it did not remove fluoride.
    I started with my own gallons of water while traveling this summer by car and did purchase gallons of bottled water along the way-had to use a little tap water in a green smoothie in a pinch in Maryland.

30. Jen says:

I use a Whirlpool reverse osmosis filtration system that I found at Lowe’s for a very reasonable price! It was $100-something. Replace the filters twice a year, and the membrane once a year. It’s worth the money to me to have clean water for my family to drink. We fill our stainless steel & glass water bottles with our R/O water before we leave home to go anywhere!

31. Jeanne Schmelzer says:

I truly wish that you would list what the recommendations for the water filters are because I cannot access the video on my slow dial-up connection.

32. Suzanne says:

We use and old 5 FILTER R/O system( before they got the Whirlpool brand) from Lowe’s for cooking, washing veggies, drinking. We have a small amount of radioactivity in our water from a landfill nearby. We were told that only an R/O system would get it out! I put R/O water in my countertop distiller and add minerals to it before I drink it to make it slightly alkaline for better health. I’m picky about what I drink so I take that “extra step.” Oh yes, got to get a carbon filter on your shower heads friends and quit breathing that toxic chlorine gas!
    God’s peace!

33. Moe says:

All bottled water go through some sort of radiation. That is why these bottles have an expiration date of 2 years.

34. Carol says:

KDF filters, drinking water or shower are great, have been using them since 1991.

35. Les says:

The government puts sodium fluoride and other toxic substances into the water supply; are you going to mention this?

36. Dorothy says:

i have an Athena counter top water system but recently discovered it does not remove Floride!
    Will a Reverse Osmosis system remove floride?
    Also, I live near Toronto, Ontario, where can I get my water tested?

37. HawaiiAna says:

To all of you users of Berkey filters, have you actually done anything more than a taste test? It’s amazing how people believe anything they are told.
    My simple TDS meter shows 460ppm, that’s filtered through 2 black and 2 white filters. Tap water here is 490ppm. I flushed the filter 4(!) times. Still the same. Any thoughts?

38. Eta says:

Hi,
    I’m interested in your comment about Fiji Bottled water. I know that it is exported to the US. Please explain the huge enviromental inpact that is likely to happen.
    Thanks, Eta

39. Jean says:

I filter my water with a Nikken Filter and then run it through a Nikken PiaMag. (My exercise friend was sick for months after drinking Bottled Water. Turned out the water source was downhill from a Pig Farm.)
    My water system is very labor intensive and I would love to have a whole house system. I have studied several types of filters and am now totally confused. They all claim to be the best?

40. andrew says:

I wish somebody could get some research on the Air to Water machines, they make water from the air, You would most likely have to put some minerals in the water, there is one called the dragonfly air to water machine.

Anyone know or used these machines ???

41. Mill says:

Living in NY I needed to buy a water filter system, so I call Jim McMahon & order the 2 part filters & shower system , he recomended, honest after using the water filter I was not happy. First it does not remove fluoride, the water did not taste good & the filter lasted only a few months and costly for just a 2 part water filter. The shower system only come with the shower filter, no shower head. The replacement, again only filter. Then I saw the same shower filter w/ shower head for less in Amazon. I’m sure his other products are good. It just din’t work for me.

42. Linda Marriott says:

Does reverse osmosis remove chlorine?

Linda

43. Roxie says:

Very interesting but left more questions than answers for most.

44. Jackie says:

I’ve been involved in municipal water treatment processes as an engineer for a couple decades: carbon filtration, like the Pur and Brit, will take out volatile organics and chlorine. Will not take out fluoride – has to do with the size of the molecule. As you move from physical filtration to ion exchange to RO, the membrane or filter media become smaller and able to remove smaller ‘contaminants’. I do not believe that RO takes out all the minerals, but distillation does because it evaporates the water then condenses it back to liquid. Again, has to do with the size of the mineral’s molecule and how they are complexed (combined with oxygen and hydrogen) in the water to begin with. If you want a definitive answer for your water, probably best to send a water sample for testing or try to get a technical support person for the water filtration system you use to look at your water supplier’s test results.

My greatest concern is pharmaceuticals and hormones (people dumping old prescriptions down the drain and pooping/peeing them out)in our water supply – to my knowledge (which is a bit dated), there are no standard lab protocols for these and no standard treatment processes. These nasties come from drinking water supplies that are downstream of wastewater (sewer) plants, which many major municipal water supplies are. If you live downstream from other major municipalities, distillation and adding minerals back is probably your only way to deal with this. Certainly worth some research!

45. Michelle says:

I’d really like to know why Kevin nor his guest mentioned the fluoride in the water. No offense, but don’t they think that an industrial waste product being dumped into our water which was used during WWII by the nazis in their forced labor camps to keep workers docile is just as worth mentioning as uranium is?

That said, anyone using pur or brita filter on tap water please know that you are not getting everything out. The only way to remove fluoride is through most RO systems or a distiller. For me, a countertop distiller was the best choice because you don’t have to install anything and you can find one online for less than $200. I feel you have to mineralized and restore proper pH to either RO or distilled. You can add a little himilayan sea salt, or use trace mineral drops like from Concetrace, and add a little lemon juice for the pH.

When I’m out and about without water, I do prefer local spring water. I’ve felt like local spring water is less likely to have been sitting in it’s plastic bottle for long periods leaching PCBs, pthlalates and who knows what else. The articles mention municipal sourced water. Unless the bottle specifically mentions what spring it comes from I would pass. I would rather risk whatever is in that spring water that trusting “municipal source” (tap water) with it’s fluoride and other garbage.

46. Boston Blackie says:

I have a Pur and Berkey filtration systems. Both taste good and usually I use both.
    But the Flouride filter on the Berkey leaves a strange taste. I have regrettably had to stop using it – first, do no harm.
    Any ideas on the Flouride filter?

47. azucena says:

John:
    This comment goes to you, Great.
    I add some bicarbonate of soda(no aluminum)and some drops of puriphy acting as an antioxidant.Check http://www.phmiracleliving.com
    Good Life!
    Azucena

48. Mark says:

Sometimes I can go for days without drinking water especially in the winter months. My diet is very high in fruit and I limit salt. Coconut
    water seems to be the most hydrating. I drink it fresh or from cans.

A simple carbon block filter is good but must be replaced frequently.

49. Gail Jensen says:

Regardless of what ‘system’ a person chooses, I would hope their top priority is in getting OFF bottled water as much as possible & responsibly committing to BYOB from home – reducing the hideous landfill problems and other pollution.
    In my other house, I had a whole house water filtration system – 100% stainless steel with a 25yr warranty and loved it. I wish I had it for this place, unfortunately, I do not.
    As I mentioned once before, the water coming out of my faucet smells of chemicals, burns my skin, “beads” on the skin of an oily, chemicaly smell. The water company assures me the water is ‘fine’. It’s not.
    I have a top of the line alkaline ionizer that I absolutely love; however, I wish I had the whole house filtration system FIRST so that the water is better before hitting my ionizer.
    To answer someone’s question here, your desire is for your water’s pH to be at 7-ish because that is what our blood and saliva is, and natural unadulterated water is 7-ish and above.
    I started off drinking the 9.5 alkaline water but I now drink the 8.5. Each ‘point’ is not ONE from the next number but 10 TIMES greater, so keep that in mind.
    Besides the alkalinity, it is micro-clustered, therefore it reaches the cells and you feel fully hydrated. Water that is RO, etc is not properly molecularly structured, therefore you will notice bloating when drinking other waters as well as not getting hydrated! My ionized water is also the highest in antioxidants.
    When I travel, I can bring it (or a smaller one) with me; or where I mostly travel to, has a wonderful Water Store and the water is delicious.
    What would really make me happier however, would be to have my water tested for contaminants, and see just what is or isn’t in the water and then improve on it somehow.
    About the only time I ever buy bottled water is in an airport, but otherwise, I’m committed not to be a part of the ‘litter problem’.

50. Ann says:

Distilled water is by far the best for you in this toxic day and age!
    It is just the same as rainwater, and we all know how great that is, at least before the sky was toxic!
    If you do your research you will find out that it only leaches the harmful inorganic minerals out of your body, never the organic minerals our bones, teeth, hair, nerves ect. are made out of!

The inorganic mineral build up on our joints and even in our veins!
    I have drunk pure homemade distilled water for over 7 years, and it is amazing how ALL my backpain went away, and I feel as limber as a newborn baby!
    I have a friend who is a master herbalist, and has been only drinking homemade (don’t ever buy the store bought) distilled water for over 16 years now and feels great in his late 50’s. I have heard strong warnings against R/O water, so I would look into that before going down that path.
    You can buy a countertop distiller on ebay and the like, for about $100, just make sure you get the all stainless steel model, it would be wise to get the glass collection jug too!
    You can also make your own if you are hand with soldering, rather easy if you get the right free plans and have a burner handy (its non- electric).

As someone else mentioned, I also noticed the fluoride filter for the Berkey leaves a odd taste!
    Blessings to all in your water filtering choices, hope I helped someone!

51. arlette says:

use emoto and h oponopono its cheap and limitless, and efficient,

52. Raelian says:

Only science can solve the problems man has created, plus the humility to admit that man has no clue, for example, on how to solve the Fukushima problem. Once we are humble enough to recognize we know nothing, and that we are willing to learn from others, then extra-terrestrials will come and as they are older than us, more advanced scientifically, and peaceful -otherwise they would have destroyed themselves like we are about to do- they will give us their knowledge.

53. Holly says:

I have been looking at water filters for a year. I am sort of sure that the “elita” water filtration system is good. Any comments?

54. Marie says:

Are there any RO systems that anyone prefers?

55. Lilith says:

Ok, so I drink city waste water. Thus carbon filter.
    There are different kinds; from 1 stage up to 7 stage filters.
    And then I just learned abut Aragorn Microspiral filters, that uses some kind of new technology.
    What about those?
    I’d like to se a comparison beween all these different carbon filters and se WATH FILTERS WHAT!

56. Dejana says:

Hi Kevin,
    couldn’t listen to the interview where I am now, just wanted to know what do you think about Kangen water ionizer? I’m currently in LA, and here they say it’s the best thing there is.

57. Lidu says:

At home I have well water with so much sulpher when we shower our hse smells. We do not use the water for anything other than laundry and showers. We either take our five gallon refills to wal mart(reverse osmosis) or we have a nice artesian spring outside of town (I worry about that too, not sure how pure it is) It tastes devine though. Otherwise we buy safeway water — there are no local water bottlers otherwise. We had a large salmonella outbreak in our town a few years ago (they said it was the water) so now there is quite a bit of chlorine in the municipal water. I was thinking of looking into a reverse osmosis for my home but saw some entries above about Berkey (I am going to look into that). I am currently having my well water tested to see what our best options are for filtration. I’m sure there are metels as my washer/tolets/tub get the orange look to it when I don’t stay up on the lime away (more crap down my drain). I live in southern Colorado, whre the water should run great. Rocky Mountain Spring Water, right?

58. Deb says:

I’ve tested (with ph test drops) several types of water including several brands of bottled (and spring) waters, R/O, distilled, as well as function water, sports drinks, soda, etc. They all test extremely acidic which, as you know, is a perfect environment for inflamation and disease (tumors, autoimmune disorders, CANCER). When I travel I use a bottle with a system that not only exceeds ANSI/NSF standards for removing particulates, reduction of chlorine, chloramine, taste and odor, lead, VOCs, and MTBE, but also remineralizes the water NATURALLY with mineral stones, and has both ion technology and magnetic technology with another proprietary technology, and has a ph value of 8.5 – 9.5 (alkaline). The container’s composition contains no BPA or phthalates so nothing can leach into the water AND the bottle shell is molded from a LDPE resin that is fully recyclable. It is fully biodegradable – when discarded in an active microbial environment this bottle breaks down into natural biomass that contributes natural soil nutrients into our ecosystem. But why would I want to discard it? I can use this bottle for about 3 months before I replace the filter for about $15. It’s a GREAT system and kinda a no-brainer.

59. Julie says:

Where can a person purchase this bottle?

60. Leonard says:

About Post # 15

John,
    Re:”Acidic water brings Hydrogen Ions into the body that the body needs.
    Water that is alkaline brings in hydroxides. Alkaline water begins to oxidize the body.”

Where did you get your information about these ionized water qualities? I would like to do some research as they sound counter intuitive to me.

Thanks

61. Gary says:

Where can I get my water tested? Is there a home kit that is recommended, or are you talking about the reports the city puts out?

62. sheri says:

Hi
    Just reading all the again, can you, Kevin, tell us the best way to go?
    Thanks,
    Sheri

63. I purchased a dozen KISHU twigs that are water filters from Japan, You just put them in a glass pitcher of water, boil the twig once a month and they last 6 months all for about$ 12.00. http://www.kishucharcoal.com After the six months you can compost it in your garden. I found them at the Green Festival in SF. They impart calcium, mag, potassium, zinc, phosphates.

64. Crystal says:

How do you read the local water report? What are safe levels and what is dangerous? I live in Salt Lake City, Utah. I am looking into what would be the best most cost effective option for me.

Thanks,