Fukushima Nuclear Fallout Still Showing Up in California Dairy Products : Exclusive Renegade Health Article

Friday Sep 30, 2011 | BY |

radiation contamination goat milk
You don’t have to worry about radioactive milk from this goat… (It’s male.)

Fukushima is out of the news in the U.S., but the effects it has had on our food system (yes, in the U.S.) are still evident…

I received a question from a reader, Mirella, and it prompted me to revisit some of the research that I had done about 6 months ago when the disaster was occurring.

You may be surprised at some of the things that have turned up since then.

Here’s the question (my answer follows)…

“Just wondering about the koji rice and radiation contamination from the fukashima disaster. How can we be sure it is safe? Are the foods coming out of Japan tested for radioactive particles?” – Mirella

Hey Mirella, thanks for your question!

The miso recipe I posted last week did in fact have koji rice (here) as an ingredient and I can understand why you’re worried.

The Fukushima disaster changed our world significantly due to the massive amounts of radioactive material that was released. It contaminated people, sea water and creatures, farmland, and its fallout has been recorded all the way across the world.

So what can you do?

First up, the good news is that you can be 100% amazingly healthy and never eat a food from Japan. So if you’re very seriously concerned about eating foods from Japan you can stop.

You can get great seaweed from the California coast, from Ireland, and many other places that have been tested for not only radiation contamination, but also for heavy metal contamination as well. (We’ve tested our Irish moss and it’s come up completely clean.)

If you’re worried about the California coast seaweed, you can be assured that it’s safe. The Nuclear Engineering Department at UC-Berkeley has been monitoring foods, rainwater and soil ever since the disaster happened.

Here’s what they reported in August 2011:

“8/12 (6:20pm): This week we were able to test three more samples of seaweed from Northern California. Once again, no isotopes from Japan were detected. In addition, the seaweed data table has been expanded to include the naturally-occurring isotope Beryllium-7, which is often found in samples that have been outside or in contact with rain. Other food chain data tables are being expanded to include this natural isotope as well to provide a point of comparison.”

Other foods that you may get from Japan like rice, chlorella (in some cases) and miso can also be sourced from other places around the world.

So while I’m not saying to boycott Japanese imports, I’m hinting strongly that if you’re worried you can completely stop causing yourself stress by eating more locally.

But eating locally, may have it’s challenges as well.

While reading through the UC-Berkeley Nuclear Engineering logs, I found some interesting things that I think you should know about.

Good News: It seems, as of August 2011 in California, many of the vegetables are not contaminated with radioactive isotopes.

“8/16 (6:48pm): We just finished testing a sample of carrots and a sample of cherry tomatoes, both from a local organic farm that has supplied most of our strawberry samples. No radioactive isotopes from Japan were detected.”

Bad News: If you drink milk from California, there still seems to be detectible levels of radioactive Cesium.

“9/27 (12:17pm): We have posted two new store-bought milk samples with Best By dates of 9/26 and 10/1. We continue to detect low levels of both Cs-134 and Cs-137.”

And from raw milk as well:

“9/1 (4:22pm): Two raw milk samples were added to our raw milk page. Both samples come from a single dairy the Sacramento area, and one sample is cow milk and the other is goat milk. Both samples show detectable levels of Cs-134 and Cs-137.”

I haven’t had dairy products regularly in at least a year or so, but I’m not clamoring to reintroduce them into my diet based on this information. These levels are obviously acceptable levels according to EPA and other environmental standards, but I’d be cautious. Just like you can survive without foods from Japan, you can also survive without dairy (and definitely without radioactive milk.)

Finally, here’s the most interesting (I think creepy) test UC-Berkeley conducted.

Creepy News: It appears that the biggest concern for radioactive fallout in California is still coming from pre-1963.

Check this out…

“9/6 (5:26pm): We tested a topsoil sample and a dried manure sample from the Sacramento area. The manure was produced by a cow long before Fukushima and left outside to dry; it was rained on back in March and April. Both samples showed detectable levels of Cs-134 and Cs-137, with the manure showing higher levels than the soil probably because of its different chemical properties and/or lower density.

In addition, a soil sample from Sonoma county was tested. This sample had been collected in late April but we had not had the chance to test it until now.

One interesting feature of the Sacramento and Sonoma soil samples is that the ratio of Cesium-137 to Cesium-134 is very large — approximately 17.6 and 5.5, respectively. All of our other soil samples until now had shown ratios of between 1 and 2. We know from our air and rainwater measurements that material from Fukushima has a cesium ratio in the range of approximately 1.0 to 1.5, meaning that there is extra Cs-137 in these two soil samples. The best explanation is that in addition to Fukushima fallout, we have also detected atmospheric nuclear weapons testing fallout in these soils. Weapons fallout contains only Cs-137 (no Cs-134) and is known to be present in older soils (pre-1963). Both of these samples come from older soils, while our samples until this point had come from newer soils.

This direct comparison between Fukushima fallout and atmospheric weapons fallout in these soils shows that the fallout from Fukushima in Northern California is significantly less than the amount of Cs-137 that still remains from weapons testing, which has had nearly 50 years to disperse and decay.”

Basically, what this means is that in California, we should be more concerned about the fallout from nuclear testing over the last 50 years, than the fallout from Fukushima.

But, I don’t want to scare you here.

The vegetables tested – at least according to UC-Berkeley – have not shown detectable levels recently. This, like I said above, is good news. Our plant food appears safe.

It’s possible our dairy food is safe too, but again, I’m not rushing to add any dairy back into my diet.

For those who may be concerned about water, getting your water from a spring source is your best bet, since this water has likely been filtered, distilled and re-mineralized naturally. I don’t know of any spring water testing that shows either positive or negative results for radiation contamination.

To wrap this up, let me give you a few tips that have been passed around – through I’m not convinced of their effectiveness at any higher level of exposure.

Radiation Nutrition Tip 1: Eat more plants. Plants don’t tend to bio-accumulate these materials like animal foods do.

Radiation Nutrition Tip 2: Eat iodine rich foods. Seaweeds are a great source of iodine, so adding these into your diet is a good plan. A body that has sufficient iodine will not uptake radioactive iodine isotopes like a body that is deficient. (Keep in mind, though, that these isotopes that are showing up are not iodine but cesium, so this may be irrelevant.)

Radiation Nutrition Tip 3: Eat detoxifying foods like chlorella. Chlroella has shown promise when it comes to removing metals from the body, so adding this food can’t hurt – from a radioactive heavy metal standpoint. Keep in mind, chelation therapy is likely to be more effective at removing heavy metals – radioactive or not.

Radiation Nutrition Tip 4: Don’t panic. Acute food neurosis can cause stress and illness. If you’re always panicked about the food you’re eating, I can almost guarantee – sooner or later – you’re going to get sick. You may not be able to control the amount of radioactive material in our environment, but you definitely are able to control how you think and react to it.

There are of course other suggestions, but these seem to be some of the most easy to adopt.

I wrote 6 months ago that the best protocol to avoid fallout was to move where there wasn’t any (here). I still believe that to be true, but at the same time I completely understand that most people aren’t able to do this.

So if you can’t move, talk to the people who are providing your food. Ask them to test for you. If they value you as a customer (and are eating the food too) then chances are they’ll want to know as well.

You do know who grows your food, right? ;-)

I want to know your thoughts: Do you eat foods from Japan now? Are you worried about fallout in our food supply?

Source: http://www.nuc.berkeley.edu/UCBAirSampling

1. Claudia says:

Kevin,
    We need more videos! I just love to see your beautiful smile and wonderful energy radiating through your videos. It is a bit more time consuming to read the whole articles than just click the play button. This is just a suggestion hence whatever you do is great!

2. Rachel says:

I eat nori from Japan. It is labeled Organic and says that it tests for no radiation. Going to call the company now. Not panicking, just being mindful. I get my Irish moss from a clean source, too. Glad to not have to think about that right now. Thanks for a great article. We live in Michigan and I am so grateful to not have to think about moving b/c of radiation.

3. From ENENews: Cesium nearly doubles over past month in Bay Area milk — Now well above EPA’s maximum contaminant level [160% the maximum contaminant level]

September 29, 2011
    Link: http://enenews.com/radioactive-cesium-doubles-bay-area-milk-last-month-above-epas-maximum-contaminant-level

UCB Milk Sampling Results, Nuclear Engineering Department At UC Berkeley, September 27, 2011:

Pasteurized, homogenized milk obtained from a San Francisco Bay Area organic dairy

Best By Date of 08/22/2011:

Cs134 @ 0.047 Becquerels/liter (Bq/L)
    Cs137 @ 0.052 Bq/L

Best By Date of 09/29/2011:

Cs134 @ 0.080 Bq/L
    Cs137 @ 0.101 Bq/L

Above EPA’s Maximum Contaminant Level

“EPA lumps these gamma and beta emitters together under one collective MCL [Maximum Contaminant Level], so if you’re seeing cesium-137 in your milk or water, the MCL is 3.0 picocuries per liter; if you’re seeing iodine-131, the MCL is 3.0; if you’re seeing cesium-137 and iodine-131, the MCL is still 3.0.” -Forbes.com

The 9/29 milk sample contains a total of 0.181 Bq/L of radioactive cesium (4.9 picocuries per liter), or more than 160% of the EPA’s Maximum Contaminant Level.

4. Mari says:

Dear Kevein,
    Thanks for also putting your info into transcripts. It really helps me if I want to refer someone to your site. I’m able to quote you correctly. :-)

5. Hannah Crum says:

Hey Kevin, I’m sure you won’t be surprised to hear me point out that Kombucha has also been shown to naturally detox radiation when consumed regularly: http://www.kombuchakamp.com/2011/03/kombucha-tea-radiation-prevention-and-cancer-treatments.html

Good stuff, thanks for the update. :) -H

6. roni says:

right after the earthquake and tsunami hit, I went out and stocked up on “pre- fukishima” nori, which is the only seaweed I can get here.
    (Costa Rica) I bought enough to last me a while.

One thing I have also done is increased the amount of fresh cilantro into my diet – almost daily. I am also planting it religiously, once a month. This is well known as a heavy metal detoxifier. I am surprised you didn’t mention that one in tip #3. Its great in green smoothies.

You are doing a great job keeping things in people’s minds without going into “incite to panic” mode.

7. nilsholgerson says:

i would like to have clear data. clearr words. this is all confusingg me. over feed on infformation. this has truely infflueence on ermanyy?
    maybe miso is more efficent tthan cchlorella? i wish you ccould clearr this topic moreup. into europe america. into food and otther topics.

8. Thanks Kevin for the update on radioactivity. I am trying not to eat anything from Japan and I don’t eat or drink any dairy.

I do eat Mendocino California seaweed. Ocean Harvest Sea Vegetable Company has tested our seaweeds for both radioactive isotopes and heavy metals. ALL seaweeds are clean and uncontaminated! You can order wild, raw seaweeds from Mendocino at http://www.seaweedmermaid.com

Blessings for your continued good health!

9. OM says:

Hi Kevin,

Thanks for the reminder, wonder what the radiation levels are in milk across the country?

Would also like to know about the radiation levels in leafy greens from CA. Since carrots grow in the ground and leafy greens grow in the air and have much more exposed area than cherry tomatoes, there might be a significant difference in radiation levels.

Peace, Love and Harmony,
    Bev

10. Joel says:

Right after I first heard about Fukushima I bought enough organic Japanese green tea from store shelves here in America to last me a couple years. I will have to boycott green tea from there in the future as the Camellia sinensis plant has deep roots and tends to draw minerals into itself.

I have laced my outdoor garden with zeolite because it is supposed to bind to, and help remove, radioactive compounds.

I periodically consume zeolite, chlorella cilantro, and clay in an attempt to reduce radioactive elements in my body.

11. Jia says:

We stopped watering our garden in Santa Cruz county with the rainwater we had collected from our roof in our 8,000 gal. pond after the Japan incident. Though we don’t know if we collected radioactivity along with the water it seemed prudent. Were does one get an inexpensive zeolite to put in the garden? I understand that zeolite is so good at scavenging heavy metals that some sources of zeolite will already have these metals in them…..has anyone done research on this? Will diatomaceous earth also help detox the garden soil? Thanks!;~)

12. LynnCS says:

Kevin, It’s so good that you do so much research and provide us with this info. I hate to be cynical, but I am guessing the reason we haven’t heard any news on the milk issue is that the dairy people are so powerful. I too am not using dairy. Anyway thanks for the ideas.

roni, #4, do you think cilantro will grow during the colder months of the Coastal Pacific Northwest? It’s a Good idea.

I have ordered foods from “Gold Mine Natural Foods.” They have a map showing their foods coming from outside the contaminated areas. I am not eating those foods right now, but something to think about.

13. Yakitah Jones says:

Very informative article Kev. Really appreciate
    all you two do. Keep it rolling. I do share
    your stuff from time to time.

Thanks again. Ya.

14. Sarah Edmonds says:

Yes, I am very concerned about the radioactive fallout. I live in Northern Arizona and the UCB site is the best one I’ve found too for information, although Arnie Gunderson’s Fairewinds is also good.

15. nick says:

I agree with prior reader videos are easier and more pleasant to watch then reading the posts.

16. Ivy says:

I’m curious about the green leafy vegis coming out of my 600 sq ft garden space right now. Anyone interested in testing dark green leafy’s for the sole fact that they absorb micro minerals and metals in much higher concentrations then tomatoes please.

Specifically collards and kale.

17. Lisa Ottaviano says:

You can buy cheap zeolite for the garden at animal feed stores;the brand I purchased is Sweet PDZ.
    http://www.sweetpdz.com/our-products.html You should water it in after spreading it.

Zeolite can be fed to animals also to make their milk/meat less toxic-I don’t know if this brand can be used for that-it is sold to go in horse stalls to absorb odor.

I live on the East Coast and have been trying to buy local produce and avoid West Coast produce as much as possible. I don’t buy raw milk as much for my kids anymore and when I do, I give them kelp or dulse at the same time. I also bought a greenhouse to attempt to grow my own greens for the winter.

I may fall into the acute food neurosis category…..

18. zyxomma says:

Let’s all bathe Japan in the radiant light of our love. As soon as I heard about Fukushima, I went to my local Japanese grocery, both to stock up on the foods I adore and to make a donation to their charities.

Here in the East Village of Manhattan, virtually every Japanese-owned business (and a few that aren’t Japanese) has a sign in the window:

LOVE SAVE JAPAN.

No nukes! We’re trying to decommission Indian Point, which is way too close for comfort to NYC.

Health and peace.

19. Christine says:

Kevin
    Do you think the chemtrails could be contributing to the high nucular amounts in the soil? I have noticed alot of them lately every place I travel.
    C

20. Gini says:

Several people have commented on prefering videos over text. While I enjoy your videos when I have time, it is much faster to read the text than sit through the video.

Someone mentioned kale and collards absorbing minerals and metals. The last two times after eating kale and/or collards from my garden I had severe diarrhea. I had not had this happen until recently and have been wondering why now.

Thank you for the article and for keeping us posted on this issue.

21. Satori says:

I do sauna to detoxify my body. This was something Daniel Vitalis was talking about too.

Here is the link to his video “how to keep radiation out of your body” (2nd video from the top): http://www.danielvitalis.com/tag/sauna/

I eat food from Japan. I live in Japan, so it’s not realistic to eat imports only.

That being said, there were two atomic bombs actually dropped on this country in the past. I’m guessing that’s nothing compare to nuclear testing. Am I right?

22. Kathy says:

Do you have info on Nori? Does Nori take up any of these radioactive isotopes? Also, Is it true that Japanese seaweed gets exported and when it’s processed in Korea or China it says “made in China or Korea” rather than Made in Japan? I eat a lot of Nori, and I don’t see it coming from anywhere but japan, korea and china. Is there another place that makes it that is safer?

23. Renee says:

Thank you Kevin and Ann Marie for all you do. Thanks so much for everyone sharing your great links.

I will spread this information because no one else is talking about it?!

“Fukushima is the biggest industrial catastrophe in the history of mankind,” Arnie Gunderson.

24. Sharon says:

I get my kelp from Maine Coast Sea Vegetables.
    They are located in Maine. They say they test and the seaweed is fine. I’m hoping they are right.
    Does anyone know this company and if the seaweed is clean in that area?

25. Marcia says:

The biggest catastrophe is that mainstream society is STILL perfectly comfortable with depleted uranium weapons, nuclear technology, continuing development of nuclear weapons and technology, nuclear medicine, nuclear powerplants, the huge caches of nuclear weapons…etc etc
    If Fukushima wasn’t good enough to frighten the life out of these nuclear tech lovers, then what will be good enough? What will it take to wake them up? Will it take the death of their children? I hope not.

As regards sourcing food from Japan, I will not purchase anything from this country as they are marketing their contaminated food as “safe” as they have decreed certain set levels of radioactive contamination to be not dangerous to human health. The experts who are not owned by the nuclear industry say that no level of radioactive contamination of our food or water supply is safe.

26. Renee says:

For those of you who still don’t realize the consequences of these meltdowns, here is one of the latest and most informative videos from LinkTv that clearly explains the aftermath of fallout from radiation. Did you know in the Russian town of Belaruse(sp), 80 percent of the children are ill? Did you know the livestock in Scotland, England and Germany are still too radioactive to consume? The list of health maladies are too long to list. The US has kept the 30,000 Russian investigative medical and scientific documents secret from the world or rather Chernobyl is one big massive cover-up.

27. kL says:

I enjoy making nut mylk — even though I can drink raw cow’s milk without stomach problems. But I always wonder — how much fat and calories are left in the nut milk after you separate out the pulp? Anyone have any ideas?

28. Isabella says:

Hi Kevin,
    It was great meeting you and Ann Marie at the Longevity conference. Thanks for this great information on raw milk…my kids were drinking it so we’ll switch to almond milk for awhile. Thanks for all the great information.

29. Auntie Nuke says:

The only company consistently and thoroughly testing for radiation is Eden Foods. They developed a complete protocol in the month after Fukushima and instituted it immediately. I interviewed them on my podcast, Nuclear Hotseat, and they were/are impeccable with their food quality. The podcast is available for free download at: http://www.NuclearHotseat.com or by going directly to: http://lhalevy.audioacrobat.com/download/NuclearHotseat7-07-26-11.mp3 — Libbe HaLevy, Producer/Host, Nuclear Hotseat.

30. […] (This question was in response to my article on Bay Area milk and soil still testing positive for radioactive materials here.) […]

31. suzy says:

i am paranoid that the formula that i feed my baby may have cesium. do they check for this?