Find Out What Diet for Diabetics Out-Performed The American Diabetes Association’s Recommendations : Exclusive Renegade Health Interview

Thursday Sep 29 | BY |

exercise-diabetes
Diet is so important for diabetics, but even cats know you have to exercise as well.

Today, I have the second part of my interview with Amy Lanou PhD.

In this interview, she gives some shocking information on a study done with diabetics.

One group ate the diet recommended by the American Diabetes Association. The other group ate something completely different.

Listen in to find out what diet they ate and what happened when everything was said and done.

Here’s this interview (my written comments follow)…

Interview with Amy Lanou PhD. on Diabetes

Amy Lanou

Click the play button to start the call:

Download

Runtime: 15:40

Here are my comments…

1. Low fat vegan diet out performed the American Diebetes Association diet.

I’m not surprised that this worked. In fact, it has to work.

Almost any whole food diet that removes processed sugars from the diet will help with those that have diabetes.

I’ve even seen diets high in fruit (but low in fat) have a positive effect on the health markers of diabetics. Even people with diabetes who have done The Raw Food Challenge – which has many of it’s calories from fruit – have reported lowered blood sugar.

What’s even more impressive about the study done at the PCRM is that there was almost a 2X improvement in marker levels.

2. Ethics! LOL 🙂

When I asked Amy about no one bringing up ethics issues with putting diabetics on a vegan diet, I was joking. Kind of.

I kind of was surprised that this study was allowed to be done since there’s such a double standard with diet and disease when it comes to what you can study and what you can’t.

A study based on diet for cancer patients would likely never have been approved. Why?

The ethics of giving someone a treatment that isn’t proven.

I have a feeling the reason diabetics are OK to study and cancer patients are not is because diabetics tend to live longer than cancer patients. This way changing their diet – in the short term – is not as much of a “risk.”

I hope in the next few decades, we’ll have some more promising statistics on diet and cancer to help the mainstream take a step away from their dependence on drugs, surgery, chemotherapy and radiation.

3. Ease to stay on diet…

I actually don’t think the low fat vegan diet is the most effective diet for diabetes. I actually think Dr. Gabriel Cousens’ is. This is a raw food, higher fat diet. This seems to reverse markers for diabetics very quickly, with very good results.

But…

In the long run, Amy brings up a good questions – “what are people willing to stick with?”

This may be the biggest dilemma any diet teacher has. What will be the best for the individual in the long run?

Her argument is that the low fat, vegan diet is easy to stick with because it’s filling and satisfying. Once you get used to it, you don’t feel like you’re depriving yourself.

Other diets, may work better, but can a patient stick to them after they’ve been treated – or for a lifetime.

So, is the appropriate treatment one that will work, or one that is compromised to work just enough to get better results.

Tough question…

I think it’s best dealt with on an individual level.

4. What is our natural diet?

LOL…

We’ll be debating this for centuries.

I think, because of our gene expression and generational adaptations, we’ve moved further from a “factory specific” diet like a lion or wild animal.

The reason we can’t be like these animals is because our food sources have changed. Theirs never has.

You can change the genetics of the offspring of domesticated animals by feeding them a certain way. If this is a fact, then it’s hard to argue that you can’t change the genetic expression of a human just the same way.

As our genes change, so do our dietary requirements.

I wonder if there’s ever any going back…

I want to know your thoughts: What do you think about this study and this particular diet for diabetics?

1. jackie says:

I didn’t take the time to listen to this; there’s just too much to listen to out there, and I can’t keep up. This is why I appreciate your comments, since they’re like a very general summary of what the person said.

2. Candice says:

Interesting study. We also know that much less extreme diets also work for prevention and “curing” of diabetes.

I love eating a high raw/vegan diet, and I preach the benefits to anyone who’ll listen. But the truth is that the millions of people who now have diabetes can eliminate the symptoms without jumping on any raw food bandwagon. People do it every day by becoming active and eliminating processed sugars, as you mentioned.

3. Sparrow Rose Jones says:

I developed diabetes while eating a low-fat wholefoods vegan diet. My diabetes got worse when I increased the amount of raw foods. Eventually, I had to totally move away from that and I won’t say what I eat now because I don’t want to come across as a troll.

I now believe there is not one single thing called “diabetes” but rather that it is a complex of different conditions that all share certain metabolic markers in common. Thus what works for some, or even most, diabetics will not work for all of them.

It was certainly my case, anyway. Whole-food, very low fat (less than 10%) vegan, I was using over 50 units of insulin per day. When I moved to a different diet, I went down to only 20 units per day.

4. Sharon says:

I really felt a huge slant toward veganism in this interview. She obviously knows nothing about Gary Taubes’ research. Folks..we need fat! Saturated fat from the right sources DOES NOT cause health problems. Her argument that meat and fat is bad for the bones and heart is ridiculous. Grass fed meat is beneficial. Of course, you would add veggies and some fruit to the mix.
    Cholesterol is a myth and it irritated me that she used the cholesterol card. Does she understand the science of cholesterol particles?
    I am 108 lbs and yes, 1 year ago I was diagnosed with prediabetes. I’m 56 yrs. old. Been working out for 27 years and was always active. I was a bit of a sugarholic in my lifetime, but I made the changes (Paleo, Mercola and Warrior Diet) and I got to 108 from 116. I got my A1C from 5.9 to 5.7 in one year. My fasting sugars are always great even when I got diagnosed my FBS was 78. My Triglycerides are always in the 75 area. I limited fruit and for weeks I eliminated fruit. I ate my grass fed lamb, goat, raw cheese, whey concentrate protein powder, seeds, nuts, veggies (raw and steamed) and did plenty of olive and coconut oil. I have NO problem with sticking to this eating plan at all.
    May I suggest some reading material?
    Dr. Cass Ingram “Natural Cures for Diabetes”
    Dr. Bernstein “The Diabetes Solution”
    Suzy Cohen “Diabetes Without Drugs”

I did check out both of Amy’s websites and they are both Vegan agenda. I’m sure the info is helpful to some, but I guess I’m just not jumping on the vegan train.

5. LynnCS says:

Good, Good, Great. You are a good interviewer and a good listener. I like that you allowed her to give a full and complete answer to your questions. Also I liked that she gave sights to look up. One thing I wish I would here more of on the diabetes discussions is that we are talking about Type II diabetes. If you did I missed it, but as I understand it Type I is where a person has a completely non functioning pancreas, so it can’t be restored, is that correct? Has anyone ever heard of a Type I diabetic’s pancreas being restored? My granddaughter has Type I.

6. Selene says:

Dr. McDougall has been saying this for decades in all his books and seminars … and scores of his successful diabetes patients have proved it … low fat vegan diet.

7. Joe says:

Not surprising to hear, but there actually is no official ADA diet. I am a pharmacy student and counsel patients with diabetes on a regular basis. I agree that the diet we recommend is not as good as completely vegan, but as a healthcare professional we need to make manageable changes for people. Many people will ignore everything I say after I say “vegan.” The biggest thing I try to recommend is the plate method, which is where half of your plate is non-starchy vegetables, one quarter is whole grains or starchy vegetables, and the other quarter is a protein source, which shouldn’t be bigger than a deck of cards.

8. Diana says:

Thank you Sharon…We have had the same experience at our house!

9. Diana says:

Dr. Robert Young had cured Type 1 diabetes. Look up pH miracle…

10. Agree with Sharon! Many people need to FATS. We need the fat to feel satisfied with our food. We need fat to absorb vitamins and minerals. We need fat for our brains. She said in the interview that low fat diets are more satisfying. I can’t imagine how it that.

I’m also a big believer of bio-individuality – everyone is different and has unique dietary needs. Some people thrive on raw food, others catch a cold after 2 weeks of going raw. I’m one of them.

11. viola says:

It all depends where someone starts, high fruit raw vegan diet might be beneficial for some people for some period. But in a long term, based on my own experience, if eating too much fruits on raw vegan, you will end up with fasting glucose over 100 and blood pressure going higher and higher. Here is a pretty good writing about it – fructosefree.com

12. viola says:

I agree with Sparrow Rose Jones – post#3- it is not one single thing called “diabetes” but rather that it is a complex of different conditions. My fasting sugar was going higher and higher from eating fruits, but fasting insulin was getting lower and lower, got it below 1. And I am very slim. Those overweight type 2 diabetics have both fasting sugar and insulin high – so apparently different condition – those people who are mixing starchy food with fat –starchy food requires insulin for digestion, but fat prevents insulin production.
    Anyway I got my fasting sugar and blood pressure back to perfect level by completely eliminating all fruits (except lemons, avocados and tomatoes).

13. viola says:

To LynnCS (post 5)- I’ve read about type 1 cure, she will have eliminate all dairy and do enzyme therapy (high doses) to dissolve the scar tissue, search the internet. There is something in dairy which is causing immune system to attack the beta-cells in pancreas. According to Hulda Clark it’s pancreatic fluke, the waste product of those flukes accumulates in pancreas and immune system starts attacking its own cells. Also low vit D blood level often associated with all auto- immune condition, because low vit D weakens the immune allowing all sorts of bad bacteria, flukes and worms to multiply.

14. Sarah says:

Pretty much ANY diet would help diabetics more than the diet of The American Diabetes Association because that diet was created by Registered Dieticians who have industries like Coca Cola and Pepsi as their monetary backers. You could give them a diet of camel dung laced with battery acid and they would do better than that diet. I have been working with diabetics for years and the first thing I do is take them OFF their ADA diet. Then they get better. This is the diet that has them eating graham crackers before bed for goodness sakes!!

15. Sarah says:

(BTW, obviously I would never put someone on such a diet but it might still go toe to toe with the ADA diet in terms of hurting and harming people).

16. Mary says:

Sharon,
    Another good source about healthy fats is Weston A. Price and Sally FAllons book Nourishing traditions. I have combined that with some raw foods and fermented vegitables and coconut kefir – which cured my son’s leaky gut. It’s all about balance.

17. Matthias says:

Dear Kevin,

you really should do some research on the proper diet for animals. Your uninformed comments about a lion’s appropriate diet show that you have not informed yourself about this at all.

There is so much data available that suggests very clearly, that a vegan diet is much better for pretty much any carnivore. They usually have fewer diseases and live much longer on a vegan diet.

When you carefully study this subject (like you usually do with other things), then you will find that lions probably did change their diet when their original food source was no longer available.

When for example chipmunks have no nuts available they also start to eat other things, like carcasses of dead animals.

Do for example a search online for “Prof. Walter Veith Creation to Restoration”.

18. Matthias says:

Sorry, I meant squirrels, not chipmunks.

From wikipedia:

Squirrels’ diet consists primarily of a wide variety of plant food, including nuts, seeds, conifer cones, fruits, fungi and green vegetation. However some squirrels also consume meat, especially when faced with hunger.[8] Squirrels have been known to eat insects, eggs, small birds, young snakes and smaller rodents. Indeed, some tropical species have shifted almost entirely to a diet of insects.[9]

19. Susan Roth, NTP says:

I think the comments on this subject are more helpful than the lecture. It shows the bioindividuality of people. She seems to be talking, first of all, about people who are OVER WEIGHT with diabetes, and this is a problem in itself, since diabetes in NOT just a disease of fat people. Also her bias towards any animal products, makes me less prone to take her advice. I got rid of allergies, arthritis, and a host of other medical problems and lost over 40 pounds, by going on the diet recommended by the Nutrtional Therapy Association (All foods are organic and animals grass feed and humanely pasture raised)- which is a 30-30-40 split of nutrients- fat, protein and then 40% carbs, but only 15% of them starchy. Food allergies, GI tract health all have a part in controlling blood sugar issues . Grains have to properly prepared as well.

20. Jean says:

I don’t need to watch the video. I know I don’t want to look like this gal, she doesn’t look healthy. I notice in many Vegan/Vegetarian types the sunken face and dark circles around the eyes. The low fat crowd has very dry skin and more wrinkles then age-matched people.

As for the squirrel, animals don’t eat things that aren’t appetizing or couldn’t be used for nutrition. Even eating feces serves the purpose of getting more enzymes into the diet when needed. This is observed by pet owners who feed their animals cooked pet food instead of raw meat.

I think the take home message….the body can use a variety of foods as long as they provide accessible nutrients, whether a raw meat catch, or a fermented acorn eaten in the spring.

I just want you all to be healthy!

21. Craig W says:

Looking at the comments is interesting. I’ve been diagnosed diabetic at age 48 and have completely reversed the disease for several years, I’m now 52. I’ve learned that diabetics are about the most hypersensitive group of people when it comes to diet choices, yet many of these diet hypersensitive people never exercise.

I eat smart, but basically, I can eat whatever I want six times a day; whole and raw foods and sometimes animal products. In my experience, diabetes is controlled only a little by diet: The most significant factor in controlling blood sugar is regular strenuous exercise, and I’m not talking about a daily 30 minute walk. If you’re half way healthy, get the heart pumping at least once a day. Build some muscle by lifting weights. Burn calories with some fairly exhausting aerobics. The type II diabetic needs to get their cells to accept and utilize the sugars in our body. Exercising regularly is the most important thing a person can do to control blood sugar levels. If you’re doing that, then what you eat is less important.

CraigW

22. QC says:

My husband is a type I diabetic. He’s on the 801010 diet having excellent health, good skin and tons of energy. He tried the high fat raw diet without much help but when he switched to the high fruit low fat diet, he started to feel amazing. His insulin requirement has dropped in half too. Plus, we’ve been vegan for more than 5 years, with no problem at all.

23. Marty H says:

Diagnosed as a type-2 diabetic some 4 years ago, I am FINALLY getting my blood sugar under control with a very simple diet:

Meat and vegetables. X 4 meals a day.
    healthy fats
    fruit maybe 1 serving a WEEK

No sugar, no grain, no pasta, no potatoes. Period. Can be done easily if YOU are in control of your food supply.

Many students of the paleo diet can tell you it works against diabetes. I am not strictly paleo, but very nearly so.

24. Suzy says:

I am startled at the results. I have had type 2 diabetes for about 20 years and when I tried the low fat vegan diet I gained weight, wanted to eat all the time (cravings were massively stimulated), blood sugar did NOT improve and felt tired all the time. I have since been through Dr. Cousens’ diabetic program, have lost weight, blood sugars under much better control and I feel so much better. I continue to eat a 99% raw, low sugar (no fruits or grains)diet and have come to love it. THIS is a diet I can stick with. Perhaps the people in the study were coming from a SAD, which, of course, would be an improvement.

25. Sharon says:

Mary, I am very in tune with WPF. I even read his book “Nutrition and Physical Degeneration”.
    Yes, it is all about balance.

26. Sharon says:

Jean..to be fair, not everyone is photogenic so it could just be a “bad picture day” for Amy.
    But I can relate to what you are saying.
    Many vegans just do not look classically healthy to me. I also find that I’m not attracted to vegan men. Hmm..could it be a signal from nature? Of course, I’m generalizing, but I’ve seen many of these people and there is definitely something not quite right.

27. Donnalyn says:

I’m so glad to have found you! The information you provide is always so current. I just encountered Dr. Lanou this week watching Got The Facts on Milk and the nexy day I receive a recording of an interview you have done with her! I appreciate you both very much. Thanks for everything you do!
    Donnalyn

28. viola says:

this is by D. Jones comment on amazon for ‘The 80/10/10 Diet’ Douglas Graham book about eating too much fruits:
    “I read the book two years and dug into this diet with gusto. At first, I felt fantastic — lost more weight than I needed to, felt energetic, skin looked great, etc. Over time, I developed what I now realize was hypoglycemia, resulting in an inability to sleep at night, irritability, unstable energy levels, brain fog, etc. At first, I thought it was a cleansing reaction. But, after 1.5 years, I now know it was due to the ingestion of mass quantities of raw fruit. I also suffered from severely dry skin due to the near total absence of fat in my diet. I kept trying to make the diet work for me despite increasing exhaustion, inability to concentrate and a strong sense of malaise. I thought for sure I must have a thyroid problem, but tests proved otherwise. FINALLY, I took a leap of faith and began increasing the fats (primarly coconut oil and butter) and proteins (fish, turkey and chicken) in my diet (particularly breakfast) and immediately began feeling better. My skin is softer and more supple, my hair thicker, my energy more stable, my moods much more pleasant, etc. I still feel I am recovering from this diet as my sleeping woes have not completely vanished (though they are greatly improved) and my digestion is somewhat impaired as my system didn’t have to digest much of anything for so long.

In summary, I feel this diet is great as a temporary cleanse. But, it is potentially damaging if attempted as a permanent lifestyle change. The notion that this diet can nourish a physically active person for a lifetime is absurd. I especially regret following the diet while pregnant and breastfeeding. Though my son is healthy, he has several food intolerances and I struggled with a low milk supply that improved once I added more protein to my diet. Bottom line — tread carefully and be aware that you will develop nutritional deficiencies on this diet. “

29. kathy says:

Seriously?!? People are seriously looking at the photo of Dr. Amy Lanou to decide whether or not the low fat vegan diet would help diabetics?!? It never fails that Kevin takes the time and effort to give us cutting edge information and the comments we get sound like they come from high schoolers. Yes, sometimes vegans are passionate about veganism, and it can be a turnoff. But non-vegans can be just as passionate. Maybe if we put aside our biases and dogma, we can learn something. But for those judging things from a photo, I’m not so sure.

30. Adrian says:

Hey! While I can appreciate that people have busy lives, listening to the summary is nowhere as effective as listening to the lecture itself. What’s more important than your health??? Actually, I don’t know what age Amy is, but I think she looks very healthy. Still.. It’s good to try things out. Nothing ventured, nothing gained. I did 3 weeks raw as a challenge from a friend, and I’m happy that I did!!

31. Chris G. says:

Sharon, I’m sure you are a stinky whore that isn’t attractive to anyone. Stop posting your ridiculous tripe here…

Gary Taubes is a joke. What sort of credentials does he have? He’s an AUTHOR, not a nutritionist! The sources he cites are even known to be controversial at best, outright wrong at worst. Saturated fat is linked to MS and a number of other degenerative diseases. Studies have been done on this for nearly half a century. Please review Dr. Swank’s articles as well as Dr. McDougall’s. You’ll probably dismiss this as biassed though. It seems whenever someone goes against the status quo you will probably dismiss them as biassed/slanted/etc.

Furthermore, if you read similar studies, they mention that the patients can eat pretty much as many (complex) carbohydrates as they would like, and simply restricted fats showed improvement in diabetes.

And of course an “Atkin’s” style diet will also improve diabetes (since the patient is eating next to no sugar), but at numerous other health risks. Enjoy your smelly, disease-ridden life!