What’s Better: A Low Sugar or High Sugar Diet? : Exclusive Renegade Health Article

Tuesday Aug 16 | BY |

ketosis fasting costa rica
Switching from primarily glucose metabolism to ketosis AND being mauled by mosquitoes is not so enjoyable.

Last week, I sent a video in the 7 Things I Learned of Dr. Robert Lustig…

In the video, called “Sugar: The Bitter Truth,” he reveals some of the science behind how some sugars can cause havoc on the body – under certain conditions.

That last phrase, “under certain conditions,” I think may be the most important rule when you are dealing with sugar or your health in general.

I’m not going to review the entire video here, since Dr. Lustig does a much better job in the lecture than I ever could.

Here’s where you can watch the video if you like (but it’s not the main point of this article and it’s 90 minutes long, so I suggest watching after you read!):

Dr. Lustig’s main point is this…

Sugar – namely fructose – is not good for us without fiber. (The phrase “without fiber” is essential to note here as well.)

I’ve seen many health experts take his lecture out of context to mix it around to whatever their agenda is. Some use it to explain that all sugar is bad and other use it to explain why all carbohydrates are bad – others knock him because they think he’s saying not to eat fruit. (Unfortunately, this last group of people seriously misunderstood him – or didn’t bother to watch the whole video to the end.)

What has happened here is that experts have taken Dr. Lustig’s very specific (and well done) research and molded it into whatever they felt was appropriate to further their agendas.

Now look, everyone has an agenda. When we ask friends over for dinner, we make sure that it’s appealing to them and maybe even leave out the fact they may hit traffic on the way or that the house may not be as clean as you’d like it to be.

But when it comes to health, the stakes are greater. The individual could be harmed when you use only bits and pieces of information to further a commercial or ego goal.

(Just to be clear, I have an agenda too… mine is to get you to eat a lot of plants (not necessarily all), think clearly, be informed and be super-healthy. So any bit of information that I give you will be run through those filters and you should know that too.)

Getting back to sugar, what’s always shocked me about the back and forth about sugar (including the rise that Dr. Lustig’s lecture has created) is that both sides – sugar or no sugar – base their arguments on scientific fact and describe two different metabolic processes of the body that are both happening (usually) within a 24 hour period.

Today, I want to share these two separate (and opposite) opinions and scientific processes around sugar and metabolism then let you decide which side of the fence you’re on (or maybe there’s really no fence at all.) These both – as far as the general consensus goes – are scientifically correct, so they’re both not theory.

How can the body be so confusing? LOL, let me show you here…

(Please keep in mind when I talk about sugar here, I am talking about natural sugars from foods in complex or simple form. I am not talking about processed sugars which should be avoided completely.)

The Brain and Muscles on Glucose

First up, to argue for the inclusion of sugar (mainly with fiber) in our diet is the fact that our brains run very efficiently on glucose.

Glucose is the main fuel used by your brain to keep your neurons functioning properly. Because neurons can’t store glucose, they must have a regular supply of it – which is where complex carbohydrates and simple carbohydrates can be helpful to give you a proper amount of glucose for a sharp brain.

Sugar with fiber releases sugar into the blood slowly (which makes them a better long term choice), while simple sugars can be absorbed through the stomach lining almost immediately.

On a positive note, glucose is also used to help you get energy to your muscles. It is present in anaerobic and aerobic metabolism.

So clearly, sugar or glucose in the right forms and right amounts has value in your diet. You don’t want your brain or muscles to shut down, right?

Well, they actually won’t shut down – even if you don’t eat sugar.

This is the other side of the coin…

Ketones and Brain / Muscle Function

Your body (and brain) can run on ketones which are created by a conversion of fat and amino acids in the liver. Basically, you could eat a very low sugar / carbohydrate diet and your brain could burn ketones as fuel while your muscles can use fatty acids.

This process, while it takes more time and energy to convert, allows the body to run fairly efficiently without the intake of excessive sugars. Some will argue that ketones don’t burn as well as glucose in the brain, but evidence shows that humans can live this way effectively and thrive.

On the negative side, if you have too many ketones, you could create too much acid in the blood which strips minerals to help buffer the acidic condition – causing inflammation and disease.

So which type of metabolism is best for you? Do you eat sugar or not?

Well, if you look at both forms of metabolism above, there’s not a straight answer.

If you eat sugar, but not too much, your body and brain should function well.

If you don’t eat sugar, but not too little, and focus on protein and fat then your brain and body should function well.

If you eat too much sugar (under certain circumstances), you could eventually cause insulin resistance or type-2 diabetes.

If you eat too much protein and fat, you could eventually cause lower blood pH.

Once again our science has put us into a bind. Both sides apparently work – and ARE working in your body every day.

These processes don’t exactly switch on and off like a light switch – they work in harmony. Your body produces ketones when you sleep since there is no source of blood glucose and then once you eat sugar – say in the morning – slows the production of them ketones and uses the glucose you eat to fuel the brain. During fasting, which definitely happened much more in our human past than now, your body also runs on ketones.

So those who demonize either glucose metabolism or ketone metabolism are half-right. The body does both – so it’s really not a question of which one it functions best on, it’s a question of which combination works best for you based on your metabolism, thyroid / endocrine function, blood test results and energy levels.

If you’re sending out too many ketones in your urine (can easily be tested) you may not be getting enough calories from glucose (or enough calories at all). If you’re serum glucose is too high, you may be either overdoing it on the sugar or on the fat (or both).

As you can tell, there’s no black or white explanation to any of this, but luckily there are ways to test how YOU react to different fuels – in this case the lack or abundance of sugar. These – like I mentioned above – are urine and blood tests that measure metabolic markers like ketones and serum levels of glucose. When I was eating a no-sugar diet, my ketone levels were up, my blood sugar levels were down. When I was eating more carbohydrates my serum blood levels went up, but my ketones went down. I think you may see where I’m getting here.

Our decision to eat sugar is not based on what we read in a book. It’s based on what we read from our own body chemistry.

So before you wholeheartedly believe the next expert who tells you that sugar is the devil or that protein will kill you, remember that each metabolic process has a place and it’s up to you (not them) to decide what works best for you (as long as you use testing to back it up!)

(PS. I’ll talk about sugar and cancer tomorrow.)

I want to know your thoughts: Do you run better on low sugar, moderate or high?

The Best Sugar is Natural!

Discover red banana sugar – one of the best tasting natural sugars on the market today. It’s one that not only Annmarie and I love, our whole office goes crazy about it too!

Here’s where you can read more now…

Click here to buy banana powder!

1. Alice Harper says:

Not sure if your banana sugar is OK for someone on a low fruit diet because of yeast and thyroid issues. Would like to know.

2. Sandi S says:

For me, moderate sugar is best…I’ve tried the low-sugar, only to feel out of it. My old lifestyle was high sugar (raised that way) and I totally understand the consequences of that so found my “happy place” with natural sugars and can’t wait to try some of the red banana sugar…I’ve tried palm sugar but that seems to give me the same effect as agave! Yikes! Why?

3. Tara Burner says:

honestly I haven’t paid that much attention to my sugar…I just eat what I want and go with that! perhaps I should start paying more attention

4. Veggie B says:

Another great discussion. One correction though…and I’ve noticed a lot of people make this mistake. Excess acid in the body does not lower blood PH to make the blood acidic. The body has to keep blood PH neutral at all times so it meets the challenge of acidity by immediately balancing it, usually by releasing calcium and other minerals from wherever it’s available … often from our bones. This is what contributes to all the health problems associated with over-acidity.

5. Sam says:

Great article, Kev. I’ve been fighting rosacea and dry scalp for years, a condition I now believe to be candida related. Following your words of wisdom, I had a number of blood tests done (but forgot to ask for the IgG/IgA/IgM).

Since around April of this year, I’ve cut all refined sugar & flour, and eat lots of land & sea veggies, fruit, fermented items, and some animal protein. Blood tests last month showed my A1c (glucose) was elevated (5.8). My doc told me to go gluten free for now, but I have pretty much already been for months!

Could you touch on things that influence fasting blood sugar levels in your next blog post? I thought I had this beat but I’m clearly not as enlightened as I thought.

I was also wondering what protocol you followed to kill your candida (SCD, body ecology, McCombs, zapper, …), and if you’d do the same again if you had to.

6. Francesca says:

Sugar is an absolute no no for indivuals with depression and or bi-polar. It increases the depression to much higher levels. Alcohol reacts the same way. However, I would like more info on the red banana sweetner.

7. Mark says:

I think this sugar topic started with a cancer posting. If you have cancer you should not eat sugar with the exception of sugar from Carrots, Beets, Cabbage and Broccoli the sugar in these foods carry cancer fighting nutrition.

So there is a big difference between what a person with cancer should eat and what a health person should eat!

8. Maria says:

I find that either my need or desire for sugar varies with the amount of exercise that I do and the amount of brain activity that I have.

As a former hypoglycemic, I find that keeping any supplemental sugar amounts low and infrequent work best for me. I try to get my sugar from fruit and when I feel I have gotten too much, I simply back off again. I used to test my sugar and have a sense now of what my body feels like when the sugar is at a certain point.

9. Anna says:

Excellent article. You are spot on- everyone is a little different, so we have to listen to our bodies. For me, I do best with mainly low-glycemic foods, though I do miss bananas, mangoes & other sweet fruits.

Exercise can also help stabilize blood sugar. I started doing T-Tapp, but other exercises can help also.

10. Darcie says:

This is 1 of your best articles ever written! The focus of health I believe is to eat more natural, meaning less maufactured foods and even grow your own, but most importantly listen to your body. It always knows exactly what it needs and talks to us everyday if we would just focus more on tuning in to ourselves instead of what so many other people are telling us exactly what and how much of what to eat. We have become so afraid of carbs and sugar and fat which I believe is all part of a natural diet. Its all about balance, and figuring out the right balance for yourself, which is different for everyone.

11. Gina says:

I feel I perform better when I do have sugar. At the moment, I am on a candida diet, and it’s killing me… especially because I’m trying to train for a marathon. The lack of fruit is really hard–I feel tired most of the time!

That being said–if I have sugar right now, it tends to put me in a daze, rather than help me.

12. Candice says:

Moderate sugar (fruit)works best for me, but I definitely go through periods during which I want and eat higher amounts of fruit. This is usually when I’m more physically active, and I feel great during those times as well. Very low sugar works poorly for me in the short term, but if I stick with it for a few days, my body adjusts just fine.

13. Tim says:

Somebody wrote about a connection between Rosacia and candida. I would appreciate an expansion on that.

14. Sam says:

Kevin, you’re being far too simplistic on the ketosis argument. Ketoacidosis is a condition, not the result of being in ketosis for a long time. Anyway, you can avoid all “sugar” and still not be in ketosis. Vegetable carbs will prevent that very easily, just ask somebody who has been on Atkins, desperately trying to make their Ketostix change color.

And there are other functional sugars out there if we’re going to black and white the sugar debate – ribose and mannose for example have very useful roles in treating health conditions.

15. Jim Dee says:

Just to be clear… Peanut M&Ms and Red Vines are both *bad*, right?

16. Sarah E. Brown says:

Would you be interested in a comment from Dr. Gabriel Cousens? I could bring this to his attention.

Sarah

17. Edith S Seaman says:

Thanks, Sam. That was my question..what is the difference in Ketosis and Ketoacidosis? I went on the original Atkins in the 70’s, blacked out several times but never got my stick to show I was in Ketosis. I wasn’t eating any vegetables, breath mints, fruits, breads…nothing but meat and fat. I had sticks that indicated I did have blood in my urine, however. The doctor gave me B-12 shots and took me off that diet. I gained three pounds on the diet, by the way. Veganism has worked better for me. But I eat sweets…vegan sweets which include some of those bad sugars. I limit my intake to special occasions.

When you discuss sugar and cancer, how about including iron and cancer in the discussion.

18. Catherine says:

Thank you so much for sharing Dr Lustig video.

19. Andrew Chin says:

Tim: There is an intimate connection between the health of your gut and the appearance of your skin. So a yeast infection I suppose could result in rosacea.

The latest theory is that rosacea is a result of a malfunction in the immune system. Since about 80% of our immune system is in the gut, this connects the dots between candida and rosacea.

Sandi S: Coconut sugar, at least the version from the Philippines, is about 82% FOS. FOS is a sugar that is 3 to 9 molecules long, made up of interconnected fructose molecules. So FOS will break down into fructose, and your body will absorb a similar amount compared to agave. Overall, agave will likely do more damage, since it’s higher in free fructose (fructose in monosaccharide form). FOS in whole food form, found in yacon root, dandelion root, and chicory root, is considered to be a health-promoting prebiotic. When it’s contained in an extracted sugar syrup, however, it’s likely feeding both the healthy and unhealthy bacteria in our gut.

Blessings,
    Andrew

20. Kathy says:

After reading all the info you have had against eating fruit and its effects on health and then reading Douglas Grahams’ book 80/10/10 I am finally set straight! A must read. Clears up the confusion on fruit/sugar in regards to candida, cancer, diabetes….. Please read this book.

21. Heyward says:

fascinated with th ebody.

used to be more confused, but now becoming interested. the rawBrahs are ripped as sh** on a high-fruit diet. tim ferris is ripped as sh** on a no-fruit diet. he eats grass fed meat, eggs, and legumes diet.

interesting…

22. anthony says:

I have learned for me if I lower fat intake to small amount per day in my last meal I can eat a lot of fruit all day and feel great , but if I eat fruit while consuming a lot fat in my diet I get spacey and does not agree with my system…..So in the summer I lower my fat intake and I eat much more fruit and in the winter I only eat a piece of fruit first thing in the morning…….Took me a few years to figure this out but now it been good for me for 5 years now….Thanks for the great article……

23. Marla King says:

Hi! Greatest lecture on the hidden issues of fructose. I hope everyone takes the time to listen all the way through that lecture for the sake of knowing the truth about something so easily missed and with such devastating results. Though I personally use stevia and eat low sugar fruits in their natural state, I have always thought if there was one sugar to add to a recipe that needed more, the best choice would be fructose. Not any more!! The name gives you the impression of innocence. I am passing this page on to those who will really appreciate it! Thanks so much for caring to dig this up for us!

24. Shaun in Tucson says:

The difference between ketosis and ketoacidosis explained:

They are quite unrelated…ketosis is a state where you eat very low carb so your body converts to ketone manufacture for your brain and other tissues. Ketoacidosis is a state where a diabetic eats large amounts of sugar and produces, or takes, little or no insulin. You cannot cauise ketoacidosis by being in ketosis.

25. Very informative article.

Another vote for a balanced diet.

26. HopandSkip says:

For Sam with the Dry Scalp and Rosecea…every try oil pulling with coconut oil? Might be worth taking a look at. 🙂

For Kevin, how does the banana sugar compare with coconut sugar and the glycemic index of both? Also, is there a sustainable issue with coconut sugar? I’m getting conflicting feedback.

27. Anne says:

@heyward (22): I tried the high fruit diet and did lose far too much weight. For a woman I hovered way below the fat percentage I should have been at. I felt full of energy at the beginning and then realised that the reason I was loosing weight while eating tons was that I was feeding and being host to a great number of parasites.

Been on the mend (slowly) since but it took about 10 months before my periods restarted just after I started putting on weight on a NO fruit diet. @ Kathy (21) don’t try that diet if you don’t want to risk your health as I did. It’s been a painful road back.

Now I do sympathise with Gina (12) because I do train a lot and I don’t have the same energy with such a low carb diet but I feel better and everyone tells me how much better I look so i know I’m on the right track.

I do have feelings that I may be creating acidity in my body and have been feeling my teeth lately so am backing off some of the fermented (very sour) veggies and Fulvic Acid I’ve been drinking.

28. chel says:

What about those that are in the process of not eating sugar due to cancer. Is there ever a reason not to eat sugar?

29. wendy green says:

hi kev. great as usual. i do FAB on whole fruit and veggies. fruit for breaky and snacks, salads for lunch and din-din. works for me!

30. Gail says:

I feel like I just wasted a precious hour that i didn’t have to waste. The video was long, he was too wordy, too scientific, taking way too long to get to any point that I was interested in – and in fact, he never did get there for me anyway, so I’m a bit irritated.
    Here’s what I want to know plain and simple. What exactly is fructose and why does it so happen to be in good things?
    I thought sugar (as in sodas, and table sugar) was sucrose, which is the bad one.
    If fructose was so bad, we’d have a whole lot of raw food folks that were not very healthy.
    I’m not a sweet eater anyway – desserts, etc – nor a breads/carbs person anyway. I think I do ok sugar-wise but could always improve.
    I’ve had three cups of coffee with cream and sugar and felt fine; had a glass of fresh carrot/apple juice and got shakey so I just go with how I feel.

31. LynnCS says:

Really important topic for me to try to understand. Thanks Veggie B for your post. I am going to listen to the video now. Hope it answers some of my questions. Thanks for bringing these important topics, Kevin

32. JT says:

Dr. Lustig is a great guy. I watched this video about 2 years ago I think. I emailed him a question and a comment and he emailed me back within about 5 minutes. Nice guy too. His talk changed MY WHOLE VIEW of fructose, sugar and how it affects our organs, specifically our liver. THIS IS ONE OF THE BEST HEALTH VIDEOS I HAVE EVER SEEN. I told him that this information ROCKED MY WORLD! It is an academic talk, so not everyone can appreciate that slant on information, but for those who thrive in the world of academia, this is it. I totally dig this kind of thing.

I run best on moderate sugar, meaning raw fruit sugar. This is my area of weakness though. Some days are better than others. It really is a drug….for real. Does anyone else have days where sugar is challenging?

33. JT says:

@Jim Dee You rock! I need to read some of your stuff.

34. LynnCS says:

Thanks Franchesca (6) Back to what worked in the beginning. Since eating more fruit lately I have run the gauntlet of being really up a day or so ago. Really irritable yesterday and really down and tired today. Can’t take a chance on getting depressed. Back to low glycemic fruits, except for an apple a day. I feel like curling up in a ball. I need to balance the science of food intake with how it makes me feel. I feel like I’ve been drinking, very depressed and tired. The sugar, even as fruit, is seductive. Guess I had to try it.

35. Mary Kay says:

I read a very simple, yet to me profound article by Dr. Ritamarie Loscalzo entitled “Fruit: Friend or Foe” (something like that), which stated pretty much what Kevin said: It depends on your genetics and how you got into trouble in the first place, as to how sugar will affect you.

And as far as rosacea, I have rosacea, have done a couple cleanse using raw juices that contained a little apple/carrot/beet —sweet juice and even during those raw juice feasts, my rosacea would come and go. So my point is, I’m kind of believing it’s the sugar causing my rosacea. I’m doing a cleanse now, and want to gradually cut back on the fruit, but still have small amounts.

It’s hard, because too little and I get a headache. I’ve also noticed that coconut does seem to help my rosacea, so oil pulling with coconut oil, may in fact be helpful.

Thanks everyone.

36. i am an over weight always hungry person and likley to become diabetic if I even indulge in too much fruit . If you wat the complete fruit is not so much sugar as juicing fruit perhps one should juice veggies and add a little fruit for flavour.The too have sugar
    For people like me its worth knowing the glycemic index for fruit and fructose and limit to 25 grams a day. For example a cup of rasberries is 3.8 and one date is 7.7 . I belive dried fruit like rasin would be about 12 for a quarter of a cup . I got this from dr mercola.com. Since I read this no more dried fruit for a fat pre diabetic person.
    Limes 1 medium 0
    Raisins 1/4 cup 12.3
    Grapes, seedless (green or red) 1 cup 12.4
    Mango 1/2 medium 16.2
    Apricots, dried 1 cup 16.4
    Figs, dried 1 cup 23.0

37. sorry for the spelling mistakes . its bed time. daliya

38. “On the negative side, if you have too many ketones (ketoacidosis), you could create too much acid in the body and lower the pH of your blood – causing inflammation and disease.” Please don’t scare people with this false information. The only person who is at risk for ketoacidosis is a Type 1 diabetic who does not take enough insulin to keep their blood sugars down. This won’t happen to anyone else. There is no link between ketones and ketoacidosis.

• Kevin Gianni Kevin Gianni says:

@Andre: Yes, I’ve updated that statement too. My misunderstanding came from a misinterpretation of ketoacidosis and a general acidic nature of ketones. Ketones are acidic, so using them primarily as fuel may cause a problem due to decreased mineral levels in the body for some.

39. Samantha says:

Thank you so much for this amazing piece!
    Fellow Renegades: PPlleaseeee take the time to listen to this video! My personal tale is a cautionary one, that very much resonates with this message….I am 38years old, super “fit,” (former fitness model) and I was just recently diagnosed with “non-alcoholic fatty liver disease.” I was completely floored, but all of the pieces of the puzzle are coming together, as I have ingested copious amounts of fructose (mostly fruit juices and “energy” drinks)on my journey. I have also learned that up to 1 in 3 Americans are afflicted with this syndrome, and many have no idea. UUghhhhhh~ all we can do is continue to educate and empower ourselves~ Thanks ssoo much to Kevin & AnnMarie for doing just that, for all of us!!
    **Infinite Gratitude**

40. LynnCS says:

Dalya Robson, thank you so much. It is hard to sit for hours at the computer to find all this important information. You have saved me a lot of struggle. I am overweight too with some health problems and find it hard to balance it all. I really want to improve my health through diet. I have had most of the tests, so I know where I stand, if you can believe them.

41. maca says:

I can see where you’re going with this, but if humans used a little common sense we wouldn’t keep needing to have these debates. If it works for you it’s ok. If it doesn’t work for you then it’s not ok.

Too many people seem to think foods are either good and bad. This is something they need to get over.

There is also the a v b debate. Are apples better for me than oranges? what about pears? Which is the best fruit? The answer is to eat them all. You shouldn’t restrict yourself to one food just because it’s better. a may be better than be, but a+b is better than either a or b on its own.

Less analysing please.

And I just don’t believe the banana sugar things. Just seems like an excuse to get sugar and feel less guilty about it.

42. shine says:

id be interested too where the gabrielle cousens and brian clements ideas come into this.

nice idea maca to eat what you feel good on..i felt way better on eating junk!

43. jane says:

I eat a high fruit diet with addition of greens, veggies, nuts and seeds. No animals, no cow secretions. I feel better in my late 30’s than I did in my teens and 20’s. My blood type is O+.

44. Lorna says:

I know Kevin has clarified his statement on acidity/bone health, but I am still not in agreement with it. I heard that arguement when I first went vegetarian/vegan in 1989, but never saw the science to back it up. In all my searching I have only found the opposite. Best summed up here (scrolled down the page)

And of course, when did I get the biggest number of cavities: when I did 801010 of course! My teeth fell apart so quickly it was frightening – and as the Chinese say, the teeth are a reflection of bone health.

Keep your minerals high and your sugars low!
    (Kevin, I know you’re not suggesting a high sugar diet, but to have some balance, but I just don’t want to see protein demonised. It has been so important in my recovery from 801010 – which really made me very ill).

45. Julie Rider says:

What happened to the 2nd video on the filling for the crepes?

46. Thanks for sharing the video, I actually learned something from Dr. Robert Lustig! 🙂

47. Rocio says:

I only eat sugar from some fruit, blueberries, oranges and some tangerines.I don’t eat grains, only potatoes and w\sweet potatoes once a week. I test my urine and I always have ++ ketones, I really need to loose 5 pounds and It is crazy..so hard even though I do exercise: walking 30 min/ day. I do take thyroid med, I am 48.
    Sugar is to me, what alcohol is to and alcoholic. I am very happy without it. So I can’t do any program with high fruit in it. I tried the Raw food challenge but my stomach couldn’t take all the fruit. I notice a lot of Raw food people or vegetarians indulge in many forms of sugar, I am grateful today don’t miss it.
    Blessings,

48. Rachael says:

My sugar levels vary from season to season. My “sugar” comes from fruit and occasionally honey. In summer i tend to eat more fruit naturally as it is light and refreshing but as the weather cools i tend to eat light on the fruit and increase the vegetables and fats. Following whats in season is a big indicator what it is we should eat at times of the year. If you are eating only whole foods then having “sugar” (like fruit) shouldn’t be an issue to worry about. It has water and fibre too 🙂 Its only when introducing processed sugars that you need to worry.

49. Ann says:

To answer folks with candida (or diabetes, or most health issues) – where most raw foodies go astray is with the lack of live enzymes. Raw foods are great! But our bodies are crying out for enzymes, especially if we are eating cooked foods and animal products.

Live enzymes are supplied primarily with sprouts, but also from fermented foods.

As for “sugar”, whether it’s fruit or refined, we should limit it, particularly to locally grown fruits.

When someone comes to me with candida or diabetes, I recommend cutting fruit back to apples only, if at all. I agree with Mark’s post about carrots and beets!

I recommend checking out the Living Foods Institute’s program: http://www.livingfoodsinstitute.com. It has changed the lives of thousands of people, and I think they do it exactly right.

50. Marie says:

I run better on moderate sugar for sure. I always feel good when I eat fruit. I do fine with maple syrup and raw honey. I just try to take it easy on them. my diet is mostly raw foods including fruits and veggies (lots of greens), gluten free grains, raw nuts/seeds, eggs, and some goat’s milk products, raw when I can do so.

51. PV says:

When you exercise a fat molecule and a sugar molecule goes into the muscle to be burned along with oxygen. Yes, you need fat and sugar (glucose) in order to burn fat. So fat and sugar are necessary for the human body. The problem is most people get too much of it.

Have you ever heard of “Hitting the wall” in a marathon. That’s when a runner can’t run anymore because they have run out of sugar (glucose). Their legs get heavy & they are forced to stop.

Check out Covert Bailey’s work to learn more about diet and exercise. He is amazing! I have all his books & videos. All his books are great. His best video is the PBS Special.

Kevin thanks for all you great information!

52. Susan Laing says:

Aw you guys are great at getting info together and I love your site! I ve always advocated this…if you cant utalize the fructose then dont do loads of it. You need to be an athelete to be on loads of fruit. And there are so many non experts out there giving out the wrong messages to folks coz it works for them. As always its a journey. Thanks guys . It was nice to see and hear the biochemistry proof of fructose!;) Have the best day ever Suziesmoothie ala Susan;)

53. Dia says:

Thank you so much for sharing this video.

54. Sam says:

Guys – thanks for the follow up comments on rosacea and sugar, very helpful. I have tried oil pulling in the past, but not for more than a couple of days, maybe I’ll give it another go.

I’m also considering a basic zapper, anyone try this on candida/parasites? There are plans on youtube to make one from extremely cheap components. I figure if it looks like it’s working I’ll ‘upgrade’ to a terminator or something.

55. Lynn says:

Re: “If your serum glucose is too high, you may be either overdoing it on the sugar or on the fat (or both).”

The reality is that if your serum glucose is too high it is ONLY because you have eaten too much sugar/carbohydrates AND you are either diaetic or pre-diabetic.
    There may be many problems caused by too much fat or the wrong kind of fat but fat is never a CAUSE of high blood sugar; although it does contribute to further complications of diabetes.
    If you are not diabetic/pre-diabetiic you will not have high serum glucose. So, if you do have high blood sugar…get yourself tested for diabetes AND start changing to a low sugar/carb diet right away because if you aren’t diabetic yet you are on your way there unless you change the way you eat.

56. Medkid says:

could you please provide some proof that:
    ”If you have too much sugar in your blood and your blood sugar rises, your pancreas will release insulin which then stores the sugar away as fat. This is a natural regulation process and should be expected to happen less than more often, but if you have too many blood sugar spikes over a lifetime can lead to insulin resistance and – worse – type-2 diabetes. ”

It seems to me that the causes of diabetes are not too many insulin spikes, but rather a mix of gut issues, inflammation, fructose accumulation in the liver and possibly other environmental issues – no doubt carbohydrates, and possibly dairy, makes it worse once the problem is established, by causing too drastic fluctuations in blood sugar and insulin, but it doesn’t seem to be the cause – or else diabetes would be widespread among high carb hunter gatherers – yes they eat fiber, but they also often process their carbs as much as they can, to reduce the effect of fiber – so it is easier to digest.

57. Katherine says:

I’m Type 1 diabetic so no sugar works best… or incorporating fruit with/after other complex carbs so they are absorbed more slowly and avoid spikes in blood sugar levels…I have been taught by the diabetes team that ketones are BAD! So thanks for info, thought provoking as ever. K x