How Much Cleansing Should You Really Do? : The Renegade Health Show Episode #879

Wednesday Aug 3 | BY |

In this final Part 3 of my interview with Yuri Elkaim, he explains his thoughts on cleansing, the master cleanse, cleansing supplements and more.

Check it out here…

Your question of the day: When was the last time you did a cleanse?

To check out Yuri’s programs be sure to click here: Eating for Energy or Fitter U.

1. Natasha says:

wow! the guy doesnt come across as very knowledgable/experienced in health and wellbeing… being in good physical shape and pushing his ‘method” doesnt make him a wellness expert. Fasting, particularly master cleanse is a powerful healing tool, NOT a weight loss diet. Everyone who approaches it with the ‘right’ state of mind, ends up clean and healthy. you just CANT go back to eating what “made you fat, at first place’. Candida is starved and you cant even look at pastries or burgers!master cleanse is normal part of my life, and of many others, so any one who is trying to be ‘knowledgable’ about it, either havsnt done for more than three days or done it with the ‘wrong’ attittude…. like “to lose weight’. please, dont spread disinformation.

• Kevin Gianni Kevin Gianni says:

@Natasha: Thanks for sharing your thoughts! Can you prove that the master cleanse is better than others? Also, can you prove that the master cleanse can starve candida (there’s a lot of maple syrup in the protocol)? If so, please post some references to these theories 🙂 I’m not criticizing your thoughts here, I just want to see if you have any evidence that I haven’t come across!

2. Nick says:

Kevin, Thanks for having yuri on , hes got some great info and he sticks to basic eat right with high plant and fruit based diet.

This is what really works in my experience, I feel like I’m 15 and i’m 51 ! Lots of energy and no more pain !

He has some really good videos On youtube.

3. Jean says:

@Natasha: Thanks also for sharing your viewpoint. However, I found Yuri’s presentation very informing and intuitive. He asked some good questions and has an excellent base of understanding. I like that he’s supporting whole, raw foods as cleansers, rather than a program with herbal supplements, not that they don’t help, but a person can use raw foods just as effectively.
    I’ve never done a cleanse; however, I eat clean, 50% raw, organic foods (for my Blood type O – but I’m vegetarian), and include pro-biotics with a fiber drink every morning. My health is excellent and I’m never sick.

4. Kuru says:

Implementing the 80/20 rule has been one of the milestones in my food life. If I eat alkaline most of the time, I don’t have to refuse acidic foods when I’m out with friends. I can eat a pizza without feeling terrible. I love “banking” in this way, storing up those alkaline credits.

I did the master cleanse once, when I needed it terribly, detoxing heavy metals, pharmaceuticals, and SAD. It was the toughest cleanse I ever did; I remember rolling on the floor in agony at one time, but it worked, and I’m so glad I did it. I stick with short juice cleanses these days, but do believe the body picks up toxicity just existing in most environments. Also it’s great to cleanse the 20 (from the 80/20), if it ever gets out of hand! Also if I ever feel the slightest symptom of overload, I skip a meal or two and that always works.

I like having a big carrot/celery/beet juice after dynamic yoga to get me back in balance.

5. Karyn says:

Hi, I was on uTube watching some old postings. In one from 6/09 you ‘recommend’ drinking green juice every day, but not green smoothies every day. This is all new to me, can you tell me what you are referring to with ‘green juice’ vs ‘green smoothie’? I don’t understand the difference here.

Thanks!
    Karyn

6. gruz says:

i hve hard times trusting this guy. if it work out what he says what i hope. he support lots of greens from vegetables. im on his nbewsletter. sadly it become more like spam in the last weeks. with RE: looking like a per personal message. if he would be more honest and sympathich in a natural way. instead of this clean sterile shpe. he probalby have something wise to tell. his marketing is aweful and also the way he and his gang does the marketing.
    best wishes

7. maca says:

Great info, but his books are ridiculously priced. There is no excuse for charging these prices for books.

8. Kym Hutcheon says:

Thanks, Kevin. I watched all three and found the one on post-workout nutrition to be fairly interesting. It was a little strange for me though that he was more specific about what doesn’t work than what does. For example, there is often discussion about the post-workout nutrition window and the speed at which fruits are digested… should you use fibrous vegetables, fats, etc. I’d LOVE you to get Dr. John Berardi on the show.

9. Jonathan says:

Regarding the master cleanse, I don’t think it is good, because of all the maple syrup; too much sugar! Also, the cayenne pepper I think can be a little irritating to the digestive tract when trying to do a major cleanse like that. I think a much better way to do it would be to make a lemonade with lemon juice, water, and stevia. Maybe you could add a little cayenne pepper for the first day, and then just give your system a rest from the spice for the next few days of cleansing.

Also, Donna Gates recommends doing a modified fast, which I think is great for people who don’t do well with fasting (low blood sugar, feeling sick, etc.). She recommends doing a cultured vegetable fast, where all you eat is raw cultured vegetables.

As far as the cleansing products go, I think there a few good herbal-based ones without the bad laxatives like cascara sagrada or senna. However, my favorite colon cleanse that WORKS is Oxypowder by Global Health Center. It is available at http://www.therawfoodworld.com. Great stuff!

10. Lori says:

I use oxy powder twice a year, although not while fasting, it does work well! I have only done fasting on green veggie juice, up to three quarts daily. Kevin what are your thoughts on green juice fasting? Is it beneficial? If so, how often and long would you recommend doing it? Also, what are your thoughts on colon hydrotherapy? Thank you!

11. Dia says:

David Wolfe did an updated version of the Master Cleanse. He has a video on it.

12. Velda says:

Thanks for interview, Kevin. I thought he had some great things to say. I’ll have to look into the price of his books, because I am a big fan of cleansing. I’ve never done the master cleanse because it just doesn’t seem healthy to me. I cleanse regularly using the Isagenix cleanse. Our bodies are designed to cleanse regularly, but in todays world with the excessive toxic exosure we have, it seems important to me to do a whole-body cleanse on some kind of a regular basis. I like the idea, however, of being on a 30-day eating plan that cleanses the body. Thanks you, Kevin!!!

13. just/jesus says:

I think it was very good interview, I have seen his FREE videos on youtube and the are very right to the point! I think it is good to get out of the cleansing mode- I am talking about me- and be careful about it because there is always “another cleansing day”.
    I would like to know your thoughts..I have been reading the new book:
    Cancer Confidential, and he puts down the gallblader-lver cleanse. I was just getting myself all full of courage to do one. Anyway, thank you Yuri, I enjoyed your advice about keeping the food plan SIMPLE!!..all those recipes are overwhelming to me at this point and hearing you makes me feel like I can do this! one day at a time! many blessings.

14. Sharon says:

I use “cleansing” products like zeolite and chaga every day. Zeolite removes toxins like heavy metals and keeps the liver and kidneys clean and Chaga repairs DNA damage and much more. If I were overweight I’d do a cleanse but since using Chaga I don’t feel the need. My endocrine system is finally balanced. Now to work on regular exercise!

15. LynnCS says:

Thanks Yuri for saying that it is relative. Since I have been all raw, I feel it’s a far cry better than what I was doing. I was vegetarian but ate some yogurt etc. Then was a wanna be Vegan, interspersed with binges and cheese, some junk food here and there. I knew there had to be a better way and when I came across the Raw Food diet, I knew I had found it. The answers are here for permanent weight loss, satisfaction and health. Sometimes in the past, I could eat and eat and never be satisfied. My health was getting scarier, and my weight was at it’s highest. Not doing any “cleansings” yet, but I feel so much better about what I am giving my body to work with. Yes, It’s all relative. Thanks Kevin for the interviews.

16. Josephine says:

I like Yuri; he is intuitive and believes in people learning to let their bodies give them feedback.

I would love to learn and do Yuri’s food cleanse, though it probably is how I eat during the Summer, when I have my garden producing.

As Yuri mentions, some herbs target certain
    organs and help them quickly; so I do like an herbal cleanse about twice a year. More than one Alzheimer’s patients has regained mental clarity with just a couple of kidney cleanses–spaced apart so the kidneys don’t get too fatigued.

Personally, I had to use herbal laxatives because of a colon problem. I used the herbs that stimulate the colon muscles–cascara sagrada, or turkey rhubarb root, or senna when I could not afford the others. They kept me from losing my colon; more important to me than some supposed dependency. People are dependent upon Vit. C source-foods, but we don’t stop eating them because we ARE dependent upon them.

Supplemental magnesium helps a lot for colons, too. I could not rely totally on that, though, for bowel health; I stayed much healthier by mixing some of the colon stimulant herbs with the water-absorbing magnesium and whole-food fibers.

My colon got better–once I got a few years of occasional cleanses done—cleared out some colon pockets that had given me pain when I exercised and that made me really stiff all through my waist–for decades!!!. I am SO glad that I used those laxatives for a couple of decades–wish I’d known about them when I was in Jr. High School