Does Vinegar Damage Your Thyroid? : Exclusive Renegade Health Article

Thursday Jul 28, 2011 | BY |

no-vinegar-here-for-thyroid
No vinegar in this cart… no because of thyroid issues though, we already have some at home. LOL!

Last week I talked about spinach and the thyroid…

Since thyroid issues are so prevalent, particularly in women over 35, I think it’s important to spend a little more time on this important endocrine gland and how certain foods affect its function.

Here’s a question about vinegar and thyroid from Melissa…

“I was wondering if you can tell me if vinegar is bad for your thyroid. Dr. Doug Graham has stated this in his book – The 80/10/10 Diet. I am disappointed because I love Apple cider vinegar. However, I cannot seem to find any other evidence of this anywhere on the internet. The only person that seems to be saying this is Dr. Graham. Are you aware of any articles or studies that prove this?”

Thanks for your question, Melissa!

Unfortunately, my 80-10-10 book is in an attic in New Jersey right now with the hundreds of others that we have no place to store here in our Berkeley apartment – so I can’t reference this point specifically.

What I can do, is tell you a little about what I know from my own research.

First up, as far as I know, there are no studies that show vinegar is damaging to the thyroid.

Dr. Graham practices a very strict natural hygienic diet that doesn’t include salt, oil or fermented foods, so maybe your understanding of vinegar’s connection to thyroid is mixed up with these diet rules – maybe it’s not.

While I do agree with Doug that excess oil and salt are damaging to the body, I don’t think fermented foods are in the same category – nor do I think vinegar is going to disable your thyroid gland – particularly in the amount that most people take – 1-2 tablespoons a day.

This is a relatively small amount of a fairly benign substance.

On the opposing side, I have found one study that actually could show (loosely) that vinegar would be somewhat helpful to thyroid function – at least for diabetics.

In this study, vinegar was shown to improve insulin sensitivity in diabetic patients. What this means is that the inclusion of vinegar helped regulate their hormones making their energy metabolism better. Since the thyroid is the main driver of metabolism, this could theoretically improve its function by giving it a rest. Like I said, a loose connection, but feasible with our understanding of the endocrine system. (You can read the full text here.)

But honestly, I wouldn’t rely on that study either for thyroid. It’s too much of a stretch. If you’re a diabetic, on the other hand, you might want to see if you get better insulin sensitivity with a little apple cider vinegar daily.

With so much conflicting information out there, how do you know what works for you?

It’s inevitable you’ll find conflicting information on your health journey.

You will find one expert telling you that chocolate is good and another saying it’s bad, some experts will tell you that carrot juice will help heal cancer and another will say the juice causes it, finally other experts will say your blood needs to be red and another will say red is bad.

Who’s right?

When it applies to you, none of them.

Your perfect health is determined by factors you can control, like the food you eat, how you exercise, how you manage stress, how you sleep and how you deal with your job and relationships.

Are you healthy if you eat a raw food diet and never sleep, are always stressed out and sit on the coach every day?

Of course not.

So you have to focus (1) on more than the food and (2) you have to know what works for you by experimenting and getting your blood tested.

When you get tested, you determine if what you’re doing is working for YOU. By knowing what is happening in your body, you eliminate the need to rely on the expert babble and hone in on what your body likes and what it doesn’t.

If you happen to drink 2 cups of vinegar a day and your TSH (thyroid stimulating hormone) goes up, then you have evidence that what Dr. Graham has said is true. If it doesn’t, you’re in the clear. (I wouldn’t recommend that much vinegar a day!)

I can’t express enough how valuable testing your body’s biochemistry is. It gives you freedom to stop wondering if X or Y is true, because now you know for sure – regardless of what the experts say.

(Remember, just because they’re an expert doesn’t always mean they’re right. Do you know someone who’s an expert at something at work and at home they make mistakes? Everyone does. So don’t believe that an expert knows everything – no matter how convincing they sound. Even me, but I don’t consider myself an expert… LOL!)

As for the blood test dissenters (those that disagree)…

Some people will tell you a whole bunch of nonsense about why you shouldn’t get your blood tested.

They’ll say that the numbers aren’t adjusted for healthy people. In this case they’re right, but if you have a healthy person reference guide (How to Read Your Blood Tests), you’ve completely blown up this objection.

They’ll say that blood tests only take a snapshot of how your blood is at that moment and it could change quickly. This is also somewhat true, but if you get your blood tested regularly, you will start to see downward or upward trends which will show you if you need to check something or not. Also, by always testing in the morning before fasting (as most tests require) you will have somewhat of a control based on time frame and blood/nutrient content.

Finally, they’ll say if I eat a healthy diet, why bother. This is completely wrong. Believe me. If you’re interested in going down the path that I did of weak immunity, adrenal burnout, muscle cramps, inability to get out of bed, etc., then please feel free to continue to think this way. If you’d like to avoid this, then go to a health practitioner who can order you some baseline tests. The ones for healthy eaters are generally Methylmalonic acid (MMA) (B12), CBC (Complete Blood Profile with Differential and Lipid Profile), 25-Hydroxy (Vitamin D), and hormone tests (specified by your doctor.)

There are others, but these are a great place to start…

Oh, and if you have a suspicion that your thyroid isn’t working right (vinegar or not), then get your TSH (Thyroid Stimulating Hormone) tested – this is the first place to start when diagnosing thyroid issues.

Finally, a note on apple cider vinegar…

Apple cider vinegar has dug its way deep into natural health folk lore. I’ve heard people say it does everything from clean floors (which is can) to cure cancer (which I don’t think is true.) So keep in mind, when you’re using the product that it’s likely good, but not as good as you’d want it to be (or the hype has proclaimed it to be.)

The best benefits of this product come from its fermented nature. Fermentation breaks down some of the proteins into amino acids, it creates B vitamins and it helps support healthy flora in the gut. So any issue that could be fixed with a healthier immune system, could show improvement with fermented foods – which is why I think ACV is linked to – either truthfully or theoretically – so many issues.

Bottomline: When you improve your immune system a lot of things get better.

I want to know your thoughts: Do you use apple cider vinegar daily? Fermented foods?

Want to Try Annmarie Skin Care – No Risk?

You can now order samples of Annmarie’s award-winning natural skin care! What’s even better is that for only $10, you can get three samples and a $10 off coupon that you can apply to a purchase of a full sized product purchase!

So, if you like it, and just about everyone does, you can get the $10 you spent on the samples back!

Here’s where to choose your sample pack now!

Buy Annmarie’s Natural Skin Care Sample Set Here

1. Alice Harper says:

FYI. My chiropractor recommended http://www.thyroidbook.com.
    I haven’t read the actual book but will start tomorrow. I am checking it out of our local library.
    Thanks for being there for us, Kev and Anna Marie!
    Alice

2. Barbara says:

Dr Walter Veith has done testing on vinegar because of all of the hype this fermented (rotten) liquid… He states that the lab tests show that vinegar blocks the digestive enzyme amylase and inhibits hemoglobin in the blood! I find it ironic that we put salad dressing made of vinegar on our salads (carbohydrates) and then can’t digest them (amylase is a carbohydrate enzyme)… Beside, fresh lemon juice tastes better and is alive!

Also if you are interested google “vinegar eel” and see if you ever use the stuff again!

3. I repeat, TSH is NOT the only test you should get for thyroid function!!! You need to test T3 (the active hormone), RT3, and the two antibody tests to diagnose Hashimoto’s (autoimmune thyroid disease)plus get adrenals tested using a spit test taken several times during the day, which measures how your adrenals are functioning at differing times. TSH = Thyroid Stimulating Hormone, and it is a pituitary hormone, not a thyroid hormone.

4. Candice says:

Kevin, I’m 100% with you on the value of blood testing. However, I also know that regular testing isn’t financially feasible for most people.

It saddens me that people feel overwhelmed by conflicting advice on how to eat a healthy diet. I hope they’ll realize that by virtue of the fact that they’re paying attention and eating on the opposite end of the spectrum from the Standard American diet, they’ve won half the battle.

• Kevin Gianni Kevin Gianni says:

@Candice: If you can save up for a vacation, you can save for a blood test. The more you get them, the greater chances you can take more vacations… LOL ;-)

@Barbara: I find it hard to believe that efficacy of fermented foods can be disproven by Dr. Veith’s (a zoology PhD) “study.” Even if these results are true, there have been other more credible studies that show an increase in immune system function when eating fermented foods including vinegar (positive.) If you can, please get me the study and it’s details, I’d love to read it! As for “vinegar eels,” keeping the lid on the container should be sufficient at keeping these away.

5. Velda says:

I take Braggs apple cyder vinegar almost every day. I put 2 to 3 tablespoons in my morning shake and evening shake. I find that by doing so, it keeps my digestive acids good. If I go for awhile without taking it, I can, on occasion, experience heart burn. If I continually take it, I do not have any problems with heart burn or indigestion. As you stated, Kevin, it is also good for many other things – health wise and cleaning :) Thanks for all your good information.

6. Fred D says:

I take four tablespoons of Apple Cider Vinegar – straight out of the bottle – each day. I have not seen any noticeable difference between the time periods (six months at a time) that I take it and when I do not. It seems impractical to get a blood test each time period I try it. So, I will continue taking it unless I see a clear indication of a problem.

7. Elisheva says:

From a Natural Hygiene point, vinegar – including apple cider vinegar- is not recommended as it depletes our white blood cells & can over time lead to anemia.

8. bob says:

I’m not sure about the ACV but I do drink (home made) kombucha which has a different profile of acids and active organisms. Rotting? Perhaps but rotting does liberate nutrients for easier assimilation. That’s what composting is about. I’ll have to google vinegar eel! Thanks.

9. Laurie says:

Hi Kevin: I don’t catch all of your blogs and missed the one on “too much oil” are you speaking about any oil (including healthy oils?)…can there be too much coconut oil, olive oil, flax, pumpkin, black sesame, chia, etc..because these are the oils I use regularly and in rotation–NOT ALL AT ONE TIME–but I do average 2 tablespoons black sesame, 1 tablespoon flax, and 1 tablespoon coconut butter while cooking with coconut oil and incorporating olive oil into my day….I am definitely due for a blood/urine analysis as I am at that critical stage of self-research, diagnosis, trial and error, chaotic taking of many things stage with symptoms of imbalance occasionally rearing its head…now wondering about my oil intake…thinking I may be overdoing it…thank you for any answer in advance! Laurie

10. The TSH test for diagnosing hypothyroidism has caused millions of people undue suffering for years because it can oftentimes TSH remains normal even when thyroid hormone itself (T4 and T3) is EXTREMELY LOW. Please stop telling your audience that TSH is a good screening test for suspected thyroid problems! I love that you are dispelling myths about diet dogma, and I believe you should help clear up the TSH myth as well. As a practitioner of functional medicine as well as Chinese Medicine, I’ve seen patients with a variety of problems, from skin disorders, allergies, and respiratory illness, to pain and fatigue, that were a direct result of an undiagnosed thyroid condition simply because their TSH failed to raise as their T3 and T4 dwindled far below the scale of “normal.” http://www.holisticchineseherbs.com/

11. Laurie says:

ps according to Donna Gates (bodyecology) there is a difference between wild fermentation (vinegar) and lacto-pro fermentation (fermented veggies, etc..)

12. Thomas says:

I use ACV (Bragg’s) daily. On salads and in water to drink. I don’t have any problems with it.

I’ll stand by the research and long-term medical practice of Dr. Jarvis who authored:

Folk Medicine: A New England Almanac of Natural Health Care From A Noted Vermont Country Doctor

:-)

13. Jenn says:

Going to back up the NOT TSH only comment. For some it may be as simple as this but for many TSH does not tell enough. If you are going to bother having blood drawn then make sure T3 is taken as well, there are many people with TSH that is fine but their body does not convert the T4 to T3 so still have medical issues a TSH alone doesn’t pick up. (This based on years personal experience and Dr telling me I was fine because TSH was in range when I was in truth still unwell)

14. Nikki says:

I think I am allergic to ACV. It makes my breathing feel musty. The same thing happens with balsalmic vinegar, and wine vinegars, as well as onions. Maybe this is a sulphite sensitivity? I don’t know. The only kind of vinegar that seems to not affect me this way is plain white vinegar.

15. Karen says:

The older generation in my family who have passed on, and who lived to be very old, used ACV very often. I recently started, as I’ve seen recommended many times, taking about 1 T. of ACV in some water and sipping on it during my dinner. I personally feel that it has helped my digestion. I recall Mike Adams saying that when you eat starch, it is always better to take ACV for digestion.

16. Chris says:

Dissenters!!! Seriously!!! You don’t want people who can think for themselves??
    Sounds like we’ll be parting company. .

There are enough Sheeple out there already. I’m Certainly NOT one of them.

For shame. . you’re encouraging others NOT to think for themselves???

Good bye..

17. Donna says:

Anyone with an allergy to mold will have a problem with any naturally fermented product (like vinegar, wine, beer, soy sauce, etc.). The effects will vary depending on the individual (eg, stomach problems, immune or endocrine problems). I don’t know about thyroid issues specifically. Yogurt/kefir and cultured vegetables are not naturally fermented which is why they are not a problem for people mold allergies. You can read about this on the Body Ecology website. If you need an acid to help you digest and can’t tolerate AC vinegar, the supplement betaine hydrochloride should help. Others may also have digestive issues due to food sensitivities, insufficient probiotics or digestive enzymes. See Barton’s Reflux Remedy for many suggestions to help acid reflux.

18. Jeni says:

Hi Kev

Well said about all those issues etc,.. The idea of no vinegar maybe that there are those out there that can digest foods ok and dont need support.
    My system was nearly killed off and I could not manage without vinegar or Tamari etc,,Now that my system has improved I use a bit of olive and sancha inchi oil with foods.

I do think that it depends on how well you digect foods to begin with before you go raw.

Jeni xoxo

19. Kevin, I don’t know where people post questions that you answer… but I have a question. Are there any fruitarians out there or have you followed a fruitarian diet? What are your thoughts about it? I am talking fruits with some vegetables only. Like cherries, watermelon, canteloupe, cucumber, avocado, tomato, grapes, mangoes, etc. There is a dude who is a marathon runner who is a fruitarian and he pretty much only eats fruits and some veggies, rarely nuts or seeds. He explains that fruits and veggies have enough ameno acids and bone strengthening properties and enough brain food which have assisted him in running marathons in record times and not having any bone issues. Also not worrying so much about drinking water but getting the water from the fruits. I am starting to eat just fruit and veggies and dismissing the nuts and seeds and the fermented foods for a week to test this out. Have you done a clean fruit & veggie fruitarian diet yourself for a prolonged period with good standing health? Just wanted your thoughts and opinions on that. Cool. His youtube videos are thefruitarian. His skin is beautiful, his eyes and vision are spectacular, his energy is off the wall, he does not get sick, I just wanted your opinion on what is being called the NEW fruitarian diet – the fruitarians are the future – so is the idea.. I value your opinion and life experience could you comment if you’ve done a fruitarian diet? Does your hormones and thyroid and adrenals balance out by just eating fruit and veggies? Thanks so much.

20. Jayne says:

I, as well, sing the praises of what raw apple cider vinegar does for me, therefore a few spoonfuls (actually, a ‘swig’) out of the bottle each evening prior to bed. That is after a very light and early evening meal.
    I want the spacing, as I am also concerned about the salivary amylase. I do avoid as many anti-thyroid type of foods as possible, which were daily staples in the diet, once upon a time and the thyroid is better than it has been in a few decades. Thank goodness I have pancreatic amylase working to digest the carbs.
    Thanks for another great post Kev.

21. claudia says:

Oh no….you HAVE gone to writing in lieu of videos …. my loss as I don’t want to spend my time glued to my laptop (already do that too much!)… I loved listening to your helpful vids whilst cooking, painting etc…

Sad.

22. Jeffery A. Arnson, Certified Nutritional Microscopist says:

Apple cider vinegar is poison to the human organism! It’s so highly acidic that it’ll rob nutrients from your amazing human organism in an attempt to return you to balance. Although immediate results look good, and people feel better, what it does, over time, is very harmful to your body. I can just imagine the body of a person taking apple cider vinegar saying, “OMG, all that acid!! I need help!” So your body then takes calcium from your bones and teeth, and magnesium and potassium from your heart and pancreas, and brain until you get diagnosed with osteoporosis, diabetes, heart disease, lose all your teeth and get Alzheimer’s, and we know those as diseases, but what they really are is your amazing human organism trying to return you to balance using everything you’ve got. Apple cider vinegar is very harmful and I wouldn’t recommend it to anyone who is sick. And you talk about blood tests, just look at the quality of the blood (with a certified nutritional microscopist) of someone who takes apple cider vinegar (like I have), and you’ll never take that poison again! EVER!!

23. Barbara says:

I have been doing Braggs Apple Cider vinegar (a tsp.) in water every morning for years… so far so good. Also helps my digestion too. Just don’t get frazzled if you miss a week…
    Whenever I wonder about how long to take something or how much or in what state, I think, how did people eat food stuffs before technology and science? Decide and go for it. People did not have a regimented diet a 100 years ago or a 1000 years ago, don’t think culturally, use your intuition and listen to your body.
    My 2 cents. : )

24. Candice says:

@Kevin – Right on. :-D I’m with you on putting your money where your priorities are. Just thinking of folks who aren’t having vacations either. But most of them are probably thinking about bigger problems than what’s up with vinegar!

25. Sean says:

The best diet is one high in grass-fed beef and grass-fed unpasteurized milk. The more good oils you can have the better; even if it’s up to 80% of your entire diet.

Lots of apple cider vinegar and lots of pink salts, the more the better.

26. viola says:

Apple cider vinegar is very Yin forming, and it’s cooling. People with hyperthyroidism are usually Yin deficient and those who are with hypothyroidism are Yang deficient. So for the first type thyroid problem drinking a little vinegar and eating raw vegetables will be beneficial, but not for those who are with hypothyroidism. Found this article if you want to read more

27. Food is Food. Fruits are human food. That too the pulp in fruits. Not nuts. Driving nuts? Truth is always bitter. Because we are living in a contorted civilisation – an accident in evolution.
    ACV is not required for daily use. But however when we take wrong food and we have more acid in the blood instead of Alkaline, there is a need to make it alkaline, to boost up immunity and get rid of many diseases. It works. There was a alternative therapist here in India, who used to convert the blood from acid to alkaline, and got the patient cured in no time. When we are on the wrong path, our developments are wrong, our tools and remedies are many and misleading, and wrong. Simple life removes all these self imposed hardships.So said my mentor Ramakrishna, the natural lifestyle scientist of SouthIndia. Refer my site: http://www.sunflowerdance.com
    Ultimate msg: Use the vinegar if it is useful to you anyway. Do not depend on it.
    Thanks Kevin for wonderful messages to us all.

28. ruff magruff says:

so varied are the responses on here

to
    Nikki and Donna

mold allergies can make humans have inflammatory responses to even small amounts of offending foods. i myself avoid vinegar for this reason,..at some times for me, even in small amounts it could cause bloating or gas, inflammation and discomfort. i have explained this to others as a sort of homeopathic allergy, as there is likely to be so little mold contamination in the vinegars, but it still effects me.

to the many others that have responded saying that ACV has improved your digestion. i can concur saying that proper stomach acidity is one of the most important factors to good health. i myself had candida, no-stomach acid, and hormonal-stress-breakdown, and could only come back by using betiane-HCL to raise it up again i could not use vinegar as i was allergic (and also to citric acid_from aspergillis niger_ which is a common food additive and preservative for canned and jarred foods)

to those that say ACV will rob the body of minerals i say that is a reactive and uneducated and extremist thing to say as unfiltered ACV should have an abundance of minerals in it, as well as the acidity that the stomach needs to be able to assimilate nutrients and minerals into the body. being hyperacid is a problem and will cause bone leeching, and vinegar will speed that process, but in many cases low stomach acid is the problem, and increasing stomach acidity (lowering pH) and therefore increasing assimilation will help to solve this problem.

this is something many people dont understand, is that stomach acidity, and tissue acidity are not the same thing. and to say that a food has an alkaline or acidic effect on the body, as so many higenics talk about is not the same as wether the food is acidic or alkaline to begin with. for example, lemons by themselves are highly acidic, you could clean a table with them. but they have an alkaline effect on the body, how can that be? well this is determined by burning the food and testing the ashes mixed in water to see if they are alkaline or acidic. and it turns out the very acid lemon is burned, (or metabolized in the case of the body) into more alkaline minerals than acids. that is how the acid/alkaline food charrts are determined.

and the thing is, we really do want very acidic stomachs, to start of the digestive process properly. just try to get vitamins k or b without them, or absorb iron. achlorhydria is a serious and common problem. many fruitarians or raw foodists experience poor nails and hair, because their digestive fire is squelched. the ones who do well, somehow keep their digestive fire burning even, and parasites and candida at bay wether by herbs or genetics.

with love
    ~e

29. Sandy says:

Catherine Carson Clark is right. You have to test for free T3 and T4 and also Reverse T3.(RT3)an dnot rely on TSH as most mainstream doctors do. Blood tests with urine tests are the best guide.

Testing for thyroid hormones in urine is in fact better than blood testing.

30. Marta says:

I don’t specially like vinager, so I only use it when it’s said in a recipe. I do use miso, mostly when it’s cold.

Talking about thyroid… What about Annmarie? She got a test in february and said she’d me retesting in a few months. Did she? Is she being successful with her natural approach to low thyroid? I’m very interested to know and learn in more detail what is she doing about it! Could she write a post? Please!

Thank you!

31. Lynn says:

@ Elisheva:
    I’m curious about your statement.
    I have been researching natural health & nutrition for 40 years, including the Essenes & Natural Hygiene, yet I have never heard that ACV “depletes our White Blood Cells” & “leads to Anemia”. In fact, it confuses me, as Anemia is a dysfunction of our Red Blood Cells while our White Blood Cells are part of our immune systems.
    A good explanation of Anemia & of low WBC’s (leukopenia) can be found at:

So, I would appreciate any research data you can point me to regarding your statement.
    Best Blessings.

32. Cindy says:

I love apple cider vinegar & have used it on & off for more than 30 years. I’m one of those who thinks it’s a cure all. I had horrible stomach issues years ago that lasted for more than a year. It got to a point where I was afraid to leave my house. I tried all kinds of things, but the apple cider vinegar was the only thing that cured it. Yes, I said cured. I never have stomach issues anymore, except for a 4 day bout of food poisoning one time, & apple cider vinegar even lessened that pain. I also gave it to my granddaughter when she was 4 1/2 years old because she was diagnosed with some kind of postnasal drip allergy. She had trouble breathing at night & was going to be put on drugs for the rest of her life, which I didn’t want to happen. The apple cider vinegar cured that also & she hasn’t had a problem in almost 2 years. I also use it for mild headaches, for sunburn, & as a toner on my skin after washing. I even put it in smoothies when I think about it. I love it. :-)

33. Melba says:

Good article. I use apple cidar on a regular basis after having a couple of issues of kidney stones. I haven’t had any issues since. I drink 1 tablespoon diluted about every day.

34. David says:

Hola Donna,
    ACV for acid reflux, works very well, vinegar,(white) is good for cleaning.

35. Anna21 says:

I agree with Kev, blood tests are SO important. From my own personal experience, I was suffering from severe exhaustion, aches & pains in my kidney/adrenal area, leaky gut, candida, headaches, nausea, joint pains,lack of motivation (cause one needs energy to feel motivated), periodic inflammation in ankles & hands & other symptoms.

The doctors I went to told me it was probably from stress & PMS. They thought it was just emotional and wanted to give me pills for depression. I have been battling these symptoms since my late teens/ early twenties. It’s only now, about 15 years later, that I got a diagnosis of hypothyroidism through a blood test!!! When I found out I had a ‘real’ problem, I was a bit shocked, cause all these years doctors told me it was in my head.

Anyway, the thing about blood tests is sometimes doctors refuse to order them for you (this had happened tome countless times). Or if they do order them, they won’t let you see them and will just give you vague info like- ‘your TSH is kind of high’. So I paid $1,000 cash (no insurance) and I cannot even get any exact numbers or see my own tests???? Talk about disempowering bs.

Since then, I learned of that people concerned about their health have another alternative- we can order our own labs, no prescription or doctor needed. It is much cheaper than going through a dr (because docs mark-up the cost of lab tests). There are several labs that provide this service, incl. Health Check USA, My Med Lab, Direct Labs & Lab Corp. You get a copy, and can send a copy to the dr. of your choice. Kev also had an article on this.

You can also get help interpreting your tests from Kev (he has a DVD program) & yahoo groups (like STTM). Trust me, you need to do some research before you go to your dr. because often times (unless they are a really good doc) they can be vague & dismissive. They may even talk down to you. You have to empwer yourself & do your research beforehand and have some questions ready.

It is also a good idea to get your vitamin & mineral levels checked because deficiencies can make a health problem worse (Kev did a story on that previously). Moreover, keep a log of symptoms that can assist with a diagnosis (and also because labs may not tell the whole story).

Please invest the money you need to in order to safeguard your health (forgo the new shoes, bag, car, restaurants, whatever), and make every effort to catch problems early because they will be easier and relatively inexpensive to treat.

36. Joelle says:

Vinnegar of any kind will thin out your blood better to substitute with limes and lemons

37. wendy green says:

ACV CURED me of shingles in 3 days….THREE DAYS…i’m a fan!

38. HopandSkip says:

I had some awful “crinkles” in my neck every time I bent my neck forward and back. I read the Bragg’s Apple Cider Vinegar book and they said it was acid crystal in the spine. Okay, well, I could find no scientific studies on this, but decided to try it anyway for a month. I did…and within a month…no crinkles in my neck!

I have spoken with many, many people since who have found it effective for arthritis, digestive issues and general health.

Dr. Jarvis had a book out in the 70’s promoting vinegar and lugol’s iodine for many, many health issues. I think he was on to something! :0) Though I didn’t agree with everything in his book…it was worth the read!

39. Susan Laing says:

Hi guys;) I always love your stuff! Well I use a little raw vinegar now and again with probiotics or garlic. In Chinese medicine it helps to clear the chi or ‘stuffed up’ energy from the liver channel. So when you clear this it creates better hormonal balance. Most people need help with their liver energy these days;)
    It has wonderful affects for all sorts of health problems but its not good if you have candidiosis ~unless taken with garlic;)
    Hey keep up with you news coz I think they are just great!;)

40. Barbara says:

Kevin, Dr Veith is a Zoologist but he is also very much into natural health and healing and studies it quite deeply. He is a vegetarian/vegan and studies many natural modalities including nutrition. The fermentation process of vinegar is converted into acetic acid to become vinegar. Acetic acid comes with an MSDS Sheet http://msds.chem.ox.ac.uk/AC/acetic_acid.html

I personally don’t want to ingest anything that comes with an MSDS sheet…

You can contact Dr Veith via his website or you may be able to find his book Diet and Health – Scientific Perspectives.

As for the vinegar eel… that is what is used to make vinegar…

Many people feel better using vinegar, yes, but many people feel better using drugs, alcohol, caffeine etc but it does not mean it is good for you. Lemon juice can be used in the very same way as vinegar and fresh lemon juice is RAW!

41. Christine says:

Seventh-day Adventists who follow the the health practices(not all SDAs follow their health teachings) that have been given to them since 1863 are considered by Medical Science, the China Study Report, National Geographic, Good Morning America, The Today Show, Dr. Oz, etc.as the Healthiest People in North America, and have the highest longevity of all 5 Blue Zones in the World.(not one thing they teach regarding health has been condemned by any Medical Scientist or Researcher or Doctor)

These Seventh-day Adventists, in their Health books, teach that Vinegar is a poison and has an effect on the Liver. They are 100+ yrs ahead of Medical Science. When they said tobacco caused cancer in the 1800s/early 1900s, the Medical World laughed at them. The Medical World is not laughing at them anymore. In fact, they now read the health books of the Seventh-day Adventists so that they can learn many things.

When I was working as a nurse in a hospital, it amazed me that they had the Seventh-day Adventist Health books in their library.

If anyone would like to read any of these books, they are as follows:

1. Ministry of Healing
    2. Counsels on Diets & Foods
    3. Temperance
    4. Counsels on Health
    5. Healthful Living
    6. Mind, Character & Personality Volumes 1 & 2

There are others, but these are a good start..

42. Vegan Butter says:

@Barbara
    Thanks for the link to the safety data on acetic acid. However, I found this:

“…the data sheet for acetic acid, which outlines the hazards presented by the pure acid, should not be taken as representing the hazards (if any!) which might be associated with vinegar.” – From: “Safety data for vinegar”, http://msds.chem.ox.ac.uk/VI/vinegar.html

@Christine
    Thanks for the links to the Seventh-day Adventist Health books. I will have to check those out! :)

I think the bottom line with vinegar is that it can have it’s uses when needed, and “too much of a good thing can be a bad thing.”

43. Barbara says:

Vegan Butter:

Acetic acid is vinegar… 1 part to 19 parts water… so taking it a bit further if we water down arsenic than it is good for us in some way?? You also may want to read Dr Douglas Graham’s book “The 80/10/10 Diet” he also states the fact that all vinegar is toxic.

Christine:

Amen! enough said … =)

44. Fabiola Rodriguez says:

I know lemon BALM is bad for HYPOthyrodism; but is lemon GRASS bad too?

45. CBell says:

All of you guys are ridiculous!….look more in to ph balancing your blood and use test strips often. If you need to be more balanced you will know shortly after testing urine and/or saliva for a week. What may be acidic in its natural state can actually be ph balancing for the blood. If you feed you blood with the right elements you will feed everything else…your bones and your organs. ACV may be helpful to some while it may not be good at all for others. Everyone’s general make up is different.

46. stella schmahl says:

I had a thyroid operation at 11yrs old I am 65 have not taken any meds for the small peice of thyroid I have left -doctors said I was supposed to take meds for the rest of my life.I use 1 spoon of apple cider vinegar everyday’it keeps my weight down and I feel healthy,I did have a stroke at 50 and it was bad lt side.you would not know it now ,they found a hole in my heart that they say coused the stroke,it has been fixed 4 years ago and I am fine..doctors say vinegar is not good where medicine should be used I say they are wrong.I eat healthy also I believe vinegar heals us faster.. it is also good for washing hair once a month keeps dry skin away..