How to Detoxify Your Bedroom : The Renegade Health Show Episode #872

Monday Jul 25 | BY |

What’s the point of eating healthy if you’re inhaling nasty chemicals every night?

Well, I’m not going to let you off the hook… eating healthy is super important, but I want you to know that detoxifying your home is a really good idea to make sure that you’re not contaminating your body (or your kids) while you’re sleeping or sitting on the couch.

This is part 1 of a three part series with Daliya Robson (who we bought our non-toxic, natural latex mattress from!)

Your question of the day: What have you done to make your home toxic-free?

1. Missy says:

I make my own cleaning stuff from simple ingredients like vinegar and use soap nuts for the laundry. I also only use chemical-free cosmetics and make-up and tooth soap. Currently saving up for organic latex mattress, ever since I saw your video about how you got yours 🙂

2. JT says:

i understand that latex mattresses are somewhat fragile. How can they be shipped across the country? Also it might be expensive. Maybe it would be better to find a closer source. Do you have any ideas of how to find a reliable source in florida? I thought maybe you’d have connections or maybe Daliya would have connections.

3. Annette says:

Important to know if you are allergic to natural latex before sleeping on this! I wouldn’t live through the night!!!

4. Jen Thomas says:

I just removed the old synthetic carpet from our bedroom. Just the first step though. I’d never heard of carbon blankets for the bed before, going to check those out. Thanks for the great episode!

5. rose says:

i just air out my bedroom every day, even in the winter as neighbors smoke is coming in! this is a huge problem and i have been constantly asking the landlord to fix any holes. in the winter my voice went all horse from this! it is so upsetting!

i also switch off the electricity in the bedroom at the main switch.

is a futon mattress non toxic?

6. HI its daliya .
    I HAVE SOME ANSWERS TO ALL OF YOUR COMMENTS
    Natural rubber is fragile if it tears and is safely shipped to any place. You need help in putting it into the cover as it tears if its pulled by force.
    Our shipping in free and I dont know anyone in Florid. You can have a sample to test if you think you are allergic . Most people know as they cant tolerate gloves or condoms or going to dentist .We have some carbon fabric to put over the holes if people smoke and air purifers .
    Its hard to stop smoke going up . You might need to move if its making you so sick. Can you talk the neighbours into getting an air cleaer as well? A futon mattress made wit organic products or natura rubber with no scotchguard or fire retardent t should be safe. Its only toxic if the products inside or outside are toxic.

7. sorry readers for spelling mistakes. I still have symtoms of chemicals injuries and if I dont remember to correct spelling -its bad news for the reader.

8. Chemicals in mattresses that I could not remember or pronounce during the show.

Dibuthyl, phthalate,
    styrene butadiene,
    pesticides, polyurethane, polyester,
    foam poly fibers, antibacterial sprays ,
    phthalates dioxane ,hydrocarbon,
    fungicides, pesticides herbicides ,
    defoliants, acetaldehyde n-hexanal,
    toluene, diisoryanate,
    benzene limonene,
    tri methyl benzene, catalysts,
    carbon disulfide, voc’s, glues,
    flame retardant ,foams,
    glass fabrics, acrylics, chrome,
    vinyl thermoplastic fibers, nylon polypropylene, nitrobenzene, styrene, boric acid, synthetic batting ,ethylbenzene, octate,
    formaldehyde silcone sulfa cants, cyanide, dyes .

PBDE’s changes a child’s intelligence and memory and increases hyperactivity, damages hearing learning and flame retardant passes through the placenta and is absorbed by the new born. The federal EPA, has jurisdiction over the chemicals but has made no move to regulate these poisons.

9. rawtothecore says:

i wipe everything down with bleach water and shampoo the rug to keep mold under control which is a real stubron thing to get rid of or try to keep under control IF ANYONE HAS ANY ADVICE ON GETTING RID OF MOLD FEEL FREE TO SHARE i seem to have a problem in the bedroom which i think came from a vaporizer which i now see as a possible cause to the whole thing LOOKING FOR HELP ON MOLD CONTROL

10. Stephen says:

Ozonated water sprayed in region of mould will kill it quickly.

11. Velda says:

Interesting information. Can we have Daliya’s website? Thanks for bringing such good info all the time.

12. sharon says:

Have a natural latex mattress, organic sheets, organic PJs, natural cleaning supplies, etc, etc. Now I don’t want to leave home and sleep in toxic hotel rooms. 🙂

13. Nick says:

I use a bamboo mudd matress which I am very happy with. It is reversable so you canuse the warm mud side in the winter and the cool bamboo side in the summer. They are popular in korea usually they use them on top of stome but I put mine right over my matress.

14. mike says:

organic cotton pillows and cases, its a start, a great one at that. and i sleep on my yoga mat with a camping mat underneath. not organic or anything but i believe very good for posture etc. slept on budys $4000 tempurpedic one nite and woke up with a stiff back. thank u kev and AM

15. Terry says:

rawtothecore….cinnamon essential oil in a spray bottle of distilled water, spray on mold areas,and your counter tops also, kills mold, viruses, bacteria, etc. testing has yet to find a virus, bacteria, or fungus that can survive in it’s presence. you must get a very, very pure oil, of any kind of oil. make sure you get a therapeutic grade as most other oils are not pure and are usually perfume grade, therapeutic grade is more expensive, but very much worth it. caution..always dilute cinnamon essential oil with a carrier oil such as organic coconut oil or jojoba oil, when applying to the skin….yowza!!! bleach!!!?? very toxic!!

16. Whitewolf says:

@rawtothecore
    In regards to mold, I’m in Portland so we’ve got mold issues. I had a leak in my jeep, at some point folded the rear seat down and it was horrific. I looked up on the net, found the most cost effective method- hydrogen peroxide. I went to the beauty supply store and got a gallon of 40% I think. I mixed I can’t remember maybe a cup or 2 in a bucket of hot water- wearing dish gloves as I always do, wiped everything down and it hasn’t been back since. That was 3 or 4 years ago. When I got the jeep I didn’t know what these spots were, well the previous owner must have had a bad winter, then sold the jeep. So if you can wipe peroxide or spray it you might be surprised. Go for the super strength though.

That black mold stuff can be nasty on the respiratory systems- especially for bronchial issues. Mold and fungi are interesting organisms, useful and have their place in nature, but not in our lungs!

Best wishes,

~W

17. Kathleen says:

What do you think of earthing mats for your bed and wool blankets to use under sheets if you cannot afford a new mattress?

18. Jayne says:

I say we all go to Sharon’s house!!!

19. Jerry Langlois says:

Iam curious about hair color for men,tanning gel as well,I know there are chemicals in the products,can they be harmful to me,at this point in my life I think I feel fine but I could be feeling better.Kevin,would you please give me some feedback on this.Thank you,love your site and your valuable info.We have something in common,I drive a 38Ft. motorhome,I know how you must feel having an apartment,very grounding.thanks again ,Jerry L