Is Tap Water Ever OK to Drink? : The Renegade Health Show Episode #870

Thursday Jul 21, 2011 | BY |

On our trip up to Oregon, we stopped by Mt. Shasta…

The coolest thing about this place – besides the amazing nature – is that fact that the tap water is straight from a spring!

Take a look as I drink from the tap for the first time in a REALLY long time!

Here you go…

Your question of the day: When was the last time you got spring water?

1. mike says:

vid got cut off.. i think i had deer pARK yesterday

2. I live in Vancouver. I go every weekend up to the mountain (northshore) at the end of Lynn Valley Road and fill up my water bottles with spring water. That place is UBER busy.. ALWAYS people there with their cars and vans and water bottles filling up at the spring. Crazy! But great to know people value their health and seeking the best water available.

http://www.findaspring.com this website will direct you in your local area where the nearest spring is to your house. That is where I found my spring here in Vancouver.

OMG! I would love to have my taps pour out natural spring water – how freakin’ amazing would that be? WOW! That would be awesome!

I have been to Mt. Shasta. For the music festival. Thanks for sharing Kev.

3. I love the idea of having spring water from the tap. Amazing. I wish we had it here!

4. jules says:

I filled up at 214 spring near Tannersville, NY on Jul 7th. I go again soon. What’s up with the end of the video, it’s messed up, I wanted to share the video but the end is no good….

5. Roxie says:

The last time I collected spring water was one week ago, last Thursday! 🙂

6. Maia says:

Last time I was at Moint Shasta. Love, love, love that place. I used to skinny dip in a secluded crystal clear lake that was surroinded by trees at the base of a mountain in the Trinity Alps near there. I never ever saw another person there ubless they came with me of course.

7. Peggy Steele says:

We live in the countryside about a half hour drive from downtown Ottawa, Canada. Our well taps into an underground spring. (Some claim river.) The water is fresh, pure and sweet. It has spoiled me. I cannot stand the taste of city water which is really treated sewage.

8. Landon says:

Not to mention most water supplies have all kinds of recycled medications that cannot be filtered out by these systems Kevin, keep up the great work, your show is Awesome.

9. Papajoe69 says:

Two years ago, Cave Springs , GA near Rome Ga where my grand daughter went to Berry College.

10. Wow, how great. Most of our water is so bad and we have to travel to far locations to get water. I found a Japanese Medical Device called Kangen Water which makes my water alkaline, hexagonal (so it can get to my cells) and it adds a negative charge (ORP) to bring my body back into balance. If I could travel to a location to get good water that would be awesome! But in the meantime, this water has been a miracle…www.healyourlifewithwater.com

11. Sarah says:

I need to get some spring water. I NEVER drink tap water. I live in Marin, California and they put chloramines in our water. I didn’t know what these were, but was told it is a mixture of chlorine and ammonia! I thought you were never supposed to do that!! Anyway, shortly after we moved to Marin we replaced our toilets with low flush toilets and not too far in the future we had to replace a lot of the toilet parts because they were rotting out. The plumber told us it was most of his business and it was because of the chloramines in the Marin water. So chloramines rot toilet parts. I don’t think I am going to drink that!!

12. Thomas says:

Sarah:
    You should look at this site about chloromines:

and read this part:

13. Lynn Scott says:

I can get Shasta spring delivered in plastic bottles. Does anyone know what kind of problems come with plastic bottles?

14. Gabe says:

Findaspring is great…unless there are no springs within a days drive!

What do we do then? Tap water is obviously bad, but so is bottled, distilled and reverse osmosis because they lack the nutrient, living and hydrating qualities found at Mt. Shasta.

What does everyone who is not near a spring drink? Why?

15. Barbara W. says:

Wish I could find a safe spring water source in Central Florida. Only time I’ve had any in recent years was on travel 2 months ago in Hot Springs, NC.

16. Niraja Golightly says:

It’s also important to consider the quality of pipe that your water travels through to come out of the tap. Just sayin’…

17. ruth says:

Since I’m in no position (location) to get spring water, could you please share your knowledge and advice about getting a steam water distiller? So much pros and cons. Thanks

18. Laura News says:

I had some fresh spring water today. I collected it on Tuesday of this week in Varnell, GA at the local spring. It is so delicious and cold. I heard about a spring fed public swimming pool too and intend to go visit it soon. I did the raw food challenge last year and want to do it again this year. Keep up the wonderful work. Thanks for all that you do.

19. maca says:

Truly amazing that you can have spring water on tap like that. I hope the water pipes are ok and not made from lead or any other such material.

20. Yamina says:

The last time ? Just a few minutes ago. I always drink spring water, but… in bottles. There is a spring, here, in Paris, but we have to cross the town and fill up our bottles there (XIV arrondissement). Not very convenient. Unfortunately, it is the only way to drink water, because what we have from the tap is not water. It is a scandal. I have heard a tuareg writer speaking about his amazement to see white people buying their water in bottles while they can have it endlessly from the tap… In his country, there is no water at all. Tout est relatif ! What is a scandal for some is a wealth for others ! But anyway, we may dream (and not only dream but act) of a world, tomorrow, where we all will get our spring water from the tap, even in those countries where people are dying at the moment because of drought, why not ? You are doing a good job, bravo !

21. Lori says:

4th of July. Recently started getting it from a place in the hills where I ride horse in west central WI. We found a spot with a pipe coming out of the ground, water runs continuosly. I have yet to see another person collecting water there. It tastes great, better than our RO water! It is nearly a 2 hour drive and will be worth it even in the winter when we are not camping and horseback riding in that area. We will get more this weekend.

22. shine says:

this week..our town has a public well with spa water..im guessing that is spring water – used to be used to cure all ills especialy in victorian times.prob too much inorganic stuff in it mind you so dont drink it all the time

23. Neil says:

I was looking with interest at the spring water show and had a giggle. My wife and i have bought a new beautiful property in the South west of Western Australia. We come from the city here in Perth, Western Australia, but are starting a brand new wellness and eco resort on 60 acres. It already has great infrastructure with plenty of FREE natural spring water from various dams, running creeks,water tanks, tracks, guest homes, huge abundance of organic fruit and nut trees, vegetables and much more.Heaps of bird life and hand feed small blue wrens. This will be one of the best wellness and eco resorts with various programs available.
    In Australia the water costs are going up and up and up – not to mention being restricted due to water shortage.
    We would like to invite anyone to our resort in Australia when we have it ready soon.I can see you there Kevin and Ann Marie. Keep up the good work. Neil and Jenny Whyte

24. rf k says:

Ruth,

I have a Megahome distiller with a glass cannister and am generally pleased with it, if you do not have a good source of spring water then it could be a really good option.

My tap water contains a lot of clorine and other stuff I’m sure and the distiller removes that taste.

The distiller will not remove volatile organic compounds. I had been enjoying the distilled water up until last winter when one day it had a petrochemical like taste and I went back to bottled water. The extra chloride was masking the pertrochemical smell/taste. Not sure if there was a spillage or ground source run off and am sure millions of gallons of windshield washer fluid makes it into our water ever year, especially during the winter. I’m back on the distilled water. A big pot of tap water will sit a day or overnight so that the chorine will gas off before running it through the distiller.

The marketing material says it can make up to 4 gallons the day and I sure would not wish to push it; you would have to be home 24 hours and let the machine cool off during cycles.

I make a gallon every day or so for just myself and if there were more in the house I would look at a bigger machine.

I have not costed it out but do not think its a big money saver over bottled water, though it’s likely costs less in the long run, but it will consume electricity. There’s a small amount of work but it’s a lot easier than toting the big bottles of water from hte store.

The distiller comes with chemical to clean it but if you show the name of the chemical to a pharmasist then they will tell you it’s basically citric acid, which I get from the bulk food store. There’s a lot of limestone in the water so I rinse out what I can then put a little bit of water in the bottom and a very small amount of citric acid as that is all that is required.

A timer is good to have so that the machine can be turned off before things get distilled too much and cake on the bottom. The machine has an automatic shut off but the timer works better to avoid the extra cleanup.

25. Michaela says:

Awesome! Shasta is my homeland, so I grew up drinking that magical juice! I keep close tabs on the yearly water analysis, and I can detect only a couple issues with the tap water here. First, there are minute, but present, levels of lead and copper in it. And then, of course, the issue of the water spending a little time sitting in tanks, so it’s structure is not as it would be spiraling out of the headwaters. As a local, I collect my water from the abundant springs found in the area….however, I will say that in a pinch, I have no problem swillin a glass straight from the tap….icy cold and delicious! Hope you made it to the headwaters too!

26. HarDarshan says:

Yesterday! A beautiful spring in Black Mountain, NC called Cricket Spring. Easy to get to from I 40.

27. Violet says:

this may be a dumb question, but how do you know the spring water is clean? that there wasn’t animal/people waste or a rotting something upstream from where you filled up?

28. We ONLY drink spring water! We go about every 10 days and fill up our glass carboys!

Lisa Marie
    Owner, Rite Chocolate

29. Pamela Pollock says:

I traveled from visiting family in California through Mt. Shasta last Thursday. I stopped at the springs there and filled up a couple of jars to get me home to Eugene. I love that place! So rejuvenating and pure and the mountain is fantastic. Love that spring water and thanks for the tip about the fact that all of the municipal water is spring water! Go Kevin and Annemarie! Maybe we were even there at the same time!