Is Almond Milk a Good Replacement for Cow’s Milk? The Renegade Health Show Episode #869

Wednesday Jul 20, 2011 | BY |

Almond milk, cow’s milk, hemp milk… what’s the deal?

Are vegan milks better than cow’s milk? What’s the nutrition difference between them?

In today’s episode, I answer these questions as well as talk about raw food “replacements” and if they’re healthy or not.

Take a look here…

Your question of the day: Do you drink almond milk? What’s your favorite milk?

1. I LOVE almond milk…I use it in my smoothies everday! Definitely love it more than any “milk” product out there :)

2. I used to not like Almonds until I started eating more raw. Now I love them and digest them really well. For a while I craved them and ate them every day. I go through phases now of craving them and then not wanting to eat any for a while.

3. Almond milk is my favorite! I used to love cow’s milk, but my body can’t handle it anymore, so almond milk is my new favorite.

Thanks for the great video.

4. James says:

The commercial brands of nut milk have sugar added to them (probably not your homemade nut milk).

5. Candice says:

My daughter is allergic to nuts,so we don’t do almond milk. We love banana milk, and we also do pumpkin seed milk, and coconut milk (blended young Thai water and meat) once in a while. The replacement value for me has never been about trying to get the same nutrition profile. It’s just about what works for a meal or recipe.

6. linda says:

Thanks for the clarification. Sometimes because the names are similar I used to expect similar taste – sometimes I’ve been GREATLY disappointed. Into my 6th month raw, I occasionally drink almond milk, I find that the longer I’m raw, the less frequently I’m drinking it – I’m sure there could be lots of explanations for this.

7. barbara says:

I am so surprised that you promote any type of animal milk. i switched to almond milk after watching Forks Over Knifes.

8. Nadia Harper says:

Yes I use almond milk.. also use hemp milk and brazil nut milk.

So easy to make and such a great base for smoothies, chocolate drinks, ice cream etc.

9. Jota says:

Since I’m slightly allergic to almonds (they give me an itchy mouth), I prefer to use coconut, hemp, or hazlenut milk. I don’t use them very often, though.

10. Daniel Edwards says:

I am going to remove my contact details from your site. Youve never answered any of my emails that ive submited. Its obvious to me that you just trade off other peoples ideas and theories, nothing that you write is based on your own research. Almost every topic ive seen on your site could be addressed by a naturopathic doctor. I think you are hoping to make a financial killing by proselitising other people.
    GOODBYE, hope one day you wake up and find your own way.
    dantherman@hotmail.co.uk

11. Tara Burner says:

I make my own almond milk…yum!!!!

12. Darrell Martin says:

I’ve been using unsweetened organic rice milk lately for my cereal “addiction” …

13. If I start using any type of nut too much, I start feeling allergic to it. (like eating soaked walnuts often, or almonds.. Ect) I can not have any nuts if they are unsoaked.. But can only occasionally have soaked nuts as a treat.

My favorite milk is Raw Sheep milk. (I’m sensitive to cow milk and a little sensitive to goat milk, in a way where it plugs my ears if I have it too much. But sheep milk is awesome.. No bad effects.)

14. zyxomma says:

As I said yesterday, there is nothing that I consume on a daily basis except for water (and air). Sure, I use almond mylk (provided I’ve made it myself, or it’s made by someone who uses raw, unpasteurized, organic almonds), but I don’t have it every day. I also use hemp mylk, coconut mylk, hazelnut mylk, macadamia mylk, Brazil nut mylk, and other nut and seed mylks.

Since I always hated dairy milk, and baby formula made me quite ill (yes, I’m a boomer), I never needed a substitute, except for use in recipes. Seed and nut mylks (organic, unsweetened, made with love) are a great addition to my live food repertoire. I rarely make almond mylk anymore. Unpasteurized, organic almonds have just gotten too expensive, and when I purchase them, I use them in eating recipes, not drinking recipes.

15. Jason LaPrade says:

In contrast to Daniel, I totally love the info I receive from you. Thanks so much for everything.

Like Tara, I love making my own almond milk. Soaked almonds, water, and sometimes a berry such as strawberries or blueberries for variety. I’ve been making this for my cereal and feel much better about it than buying something already made up. Fresh is best. Plus, I don’t eat cereal everyday, so I never feel rushed to get through a carton of the store bought stuff.

16. Emily says:

…in responce to Daniels Edwards post Ouch! Well personally I think you guys Rock! You are watchable, listenable, your down to earth, keeping it simple real & from the heart. On the milk tip, I make 1 litre of Almond milk everyday for my family instead of dairy milk no problems here … we love it. Blessings Emily ;)

17. Paul Cavanaugh says:

Kevin – I enjoy your e-mails & videos, so keep up the good work – you rock! Great to see Steve Prussack commenting here – I love his podcast on iTunes!.

Fresh made almond milk (almonds & ice water in the Vitamix, then drained through a nut bag) is tops for a raw diet, but Silk or Blue Diamond brands “unsweetened” are OK. I like So Delicious brand coconut milk too, but Dr. Gabriel Cousens recommends almonds as being one of the two healthiest nuts (with walnuts) to include in the daily diet.

18. We love almond milk a lot. Great taste and in our opinion, much better flavor than coconut milk. :)

19. Nikki says:

I know it is way over processed, but I would have to say that plain fat free soy milk is my fave.

20. We use almond milk, coconut milk (blended shredded coconut), coconut water.

21. Cassandra says:

I love almond milk and make my own. I put real vanilla powder in it and (gasp) sugar or agava syrup. But I don’t drink it all the time. I don’t really like it that much with dates. Sometimes I might go weeks or even months without making it or drinking it. It depends on whether my body wants it. I also love pistachio milk and make my own but again I only drink it when my body wants it.

22. Tara says:

yes, of all the nut milks, I like almond the best and use it daily in my protein smoothy every morning after working out at a gym! I add several incredible supplements (adaptogens) to it and I perk the rest of my busy day (I am 64, work 10-12 hrs a day in various ventures and love it!) :o)

23. Ira Edwards says:

We get raw whole milk direct from a farmer. It is much better than any substitute. The butter we make from it is high-flavor deep yellow with high vitamin content. Problems with raw milk are rare. Many people with processed milk intolerance find no problem with raw milk.
    “Low-fat” is not healthful. Natural fat is good and essential nutrition, including saturated, not including modern processed vegetable oils.
    Read THE UNTOLD STORY OF MILK by Ron Schmid.
    Ira Edwards HONEST NUTRITION

24. Sandi S says:

I make my own almond milk, but can get goat’s milk and cow milk (right off the ranch for both)but don’t use any of them on a regular basis…mostly make cheese with the raw milks…Nice to be able to have a choice!

25. Lynn Scott says:

Thanks, Kevin. Couldn’t follow most of that so have to watch it again. I like your energy, but you go a bit fast on the comparisons for me. I hve tried to make almond milk a couple of times and it didn’t work out. I soaked some almonds last nite and they are still hard, so bad almonds, I guess. Burned out the blender this morning so will be chewing for a while till I can get a better blender. :-( Need to save my pennies. The most important thing for me is keeping it simple and getting as much fruits and vegis/greens as possible. I already see improvements in my health. Thx, Lynn

26. Nick says:

Iuse almond milk ocassionally but usually make an almond porage with apples cimemon and bannana I tend to drink more cocnut milk.

27. Diane says:

I don’t use any milk… or dairy exc for butter.

28. CeCe says:

I love brazil nut mylk!! My digestive system has a hard time with dairy products, and since I have been making my own brazil nut mylk, I do not miss dairy at all. I use it for my homemade raw granola, and especially love it as the main ingredient in my homemade raw ice cream- yum!!:-)

29. Barbara says:

I make my own Almond milk. I am interested in brazil nut milk and read in the comments that CeCe makes her own. Can you tell me if you make it the same way as Almond milk or how? Thank you.

30. Kim says:

Yes, I use almond mylk and rice mylk on dehydrated buckwheat and sprouted kamut berries – YUM!

31. Adrienne Baksa says:

One person mentioned hazelnut milk, which I also love and how about oat milk – it’s delicious in cereal.

32. Velda says:

I drink almond milk – not on a daily basis. When I want milk, I use almond milk. I think it taste better than coconut milk. I get the Blue Diamond unsweetened and think it is really good. I will have a glass once in awhile when I am cleansing or fasting from solid food and feel extremely tired from it. It will give me a little pick-me-up. Don’t do soy milk since almost all soy that is grown is GMO. I avoid that!!!

Kevin, Daniel Edwards obviously has some problems. Please don’t let that negatively affect you. He may be surprised to learn that even his naturopathic doctor probably does not do his own research, but reads the research of others ….. duh. We have to do that. Very few of us are set up to do our own research. Thank you so much for bringing the information to us. You both work very hard and do a great job!! You guys are a class act with good hearts!! Love you guys!!

33. Emma says:

Hi, thanks for your video. Unfortunately though I did not think you answered the question. Almond mylk is much Better than cows milk because: almonds are the least acidic nut and least likely to cause mucous in the body comparatively to other nuts. Added with lecithin you absorb more of the good fats. Cows milk is chemicals, hormones and a plethara of horrible ingredients which should not be consumed by humans. It is a shame you didn’t touch on hemp mlyk especially about the ratio of omega 3 and 6 it being in the idea ratio for us and all the emmense benefits of hemp. Sorry Kev as much as your great it would be great to hear you really answer that question again. Love Emma

34. Fred says:

Living in ecuador we make coconut milk 2-3 times a week. Blend in with juices. Getting raw cows milk is not a problem eather.

35. Astra says:

I use almond milk regularly, though not necessarily daily. I use it on whole grain natural cereals like Ezekiel 4:9 or my own mixture of rice bran, oat bran, flax seed, sunflower seeds, sliced almonds, etc. It is good cold or warmed. Sometimes, I have a glass with a seldom eaten cookie. I love the Blue Diamond unsweetened either regular or vanilla. Rice milk is good, depending on the brand. Also coconut milk, depending on the brand, but almond milk is my staple.
    Have never seen Hazelnut or Brazil nut milks. Where do you find those?
    Hemp milk I did not like at all. OK so there it is!
    Thanks for answering that question!

36. Jean says:

Since I don’t use dairy, I make homemade almond mylk for use in smoothies and use the almond pulp on weekends to make waffles. I try to use an amount of water to thin the mixture to somewhere near the calorie profile for the boxed stuff. So I get about 5 to 6 quarts of ‘mylk’ from a pound of nuts.

There’s a great overview on nuts at:

I was a little concerned about the person using Brazil nuts to make a drink. Brazil nuts, (while wonderfully nutritious) are very high in selenium.

“No more than one or two Brail nuts should be consumed daily to avoid excessive accumulation of selenium in tissues.”
    See: http://www.whfoods.com/genpage.php?tname=btnews&dbid=18
    and

37. Tammy says:

I just want to thank you and your wife for all the hard work you do to bring very important information to the people. I have learned a lot about raw foods from your videos and more. I love you guys keep up the good work! Oh I love almond milk and I believe its important to make your own because its healthier and you know whats in it. Namaste Tammy ( Vermonts Herbalist)

38. Kevin Gianni Kevin Gianni says:

@Emma: thanks for your comments :-) I used to feel the same way. Now, I’ve realized that not everything is as black and white as vegan or not. Almond milk is good, but it’s not as good as cherries or other great fresh fruits and vegetables. Cow’s milk (or goat milk) has a place in the diets of long lived cultures that I just can’t ignore any more. While I think many people can live without it, I also don’t want to demonize something (goat’s yogurt) that helped me recover from my issues. What if some of the hormones in organic, fresh, free range cattle could be used as medicine for someone with low hormones. Wouldn’t that be better than hormone replacement and pharmaceuticals? This is just one example. Less is definitely better, but none may not always be best for everyone.

39. Gina says:

I switch off between almond/ coconut milk and sometimes organic cow’s milk (best raw). The milks are not equal in nutrients but add variety. Kevin, how do you take-use Holy Basil?

40. Wanda says:

Yes, almond milk is okay, especially for people who have an allergy to cow’s milk, as so many have indicated. The kind of milk we are induced to buy today is despicable. I grew up on a dairy farm where we could drink raw milk and also sold raw milk. Here is the name of a wonderful book telling how to cure cavities by drinking raw milk, and using a few other items we no longer have in our modern diet, raw or otherwise:

Cure Tooth Decay by Ramiel Nagel

An online version is also available.

41. I love to drink a smoothie with almond milk and organic blueberries. Delicious.

42. Ineke says:

Great information as usual. Personally I like home made almond milk the best but do not have it too often. I make Nomi Shannon’s halva recipe from the pulp after having made a batch of almond milk. Delicious!!! My daughter loves almond milk as well but I also give her goats kefir which she enjoys as well. Too me there is not enough evidence/research done that a totally vegan diet is the best for a growing child. I will leave it up to her to make that decision for herself when she is old and wise enough.

43. Irina says:

I am allergic to many nuts and seeds, so have to keep nuts consumption to a minimum. Nut/seed milks make me feel heavy and bloated, so personally I’ve made a decision to avoid them, except for rare occasions, and only the ones I blend myself; I enjoy homemade coconut milk once in a while, but I really appreciate the boost in health that I get from grass fed raw dairy, especially raw sheep milk: it takes care of my allergies, hormonal issues, cravings and taste buds :)

44. Treeplanter says:

I enjoy almond cream that i make myself, just blend almonds and water and a little dried fruit in a vita-mix until creamy. No need to run it through a nut milk bag. Just enjoy the cream. Great on oatmeal.

Kevin, the problem with your advice is that you missed an opportunity to remind people about essential vitamins. A new vegan mother might conclude, based on your advice, that it doesn’t matter whether she feeds her baby almond milk or animal milk, and the baby might suffer a deficiency of B-12 or K-2 or CLA or other essential nutrient.

It is possible for vegans to be healthy in the long run, provided that they supplement with everything they are missing. I believe this point can not be over-emphasized. Vegans must take supplements to stay healthy in the long run.

You probably get new subscribers to your blog all the time. So it is always a good time to remind people about the potential problems of an all vegan diet.

Also, encourage people to get on friendly terms with a local dairy farmer who uses organic grass-fed practices. The feds are really cracking down on raw milk producers, so they need our support more than ever. Buy raw milk directly from the farmers. It’s an act of civil disobedience that can really make a difference.

Michael T.

45. Regina J says:

I stopped using almond milk and all other milks when I looked more closely and saw that it had vitamin D2 not vitamin D3 added – I read that we should only use vitamin D3 – I then noticed that all other “milks” are using vitamin D2 – can you discuss whether what I read is correct or does it even matter???!!

46. pam says:

I mix “milk” with my Spiru-tein powder to make it richer. I like every kind Ive tried so I buy whats on sale that week. My new favorite is Flax “milk”. The vanilla flavor tastes great and its only 60 caleries for 8oz.

47. Ellen says:

I make my own almond milk & love it. I don’t like buying the store bought stuff because I cannot pronounce the ingredients they put in it! I use my homemade almond milk everyday in my fruit smoothies.

48. Niki says:

I warmed some almond milk with a few dashes of cinnamon for my 5 year old the other night. She says it makes her fall right to sleep and SNORE like Papa Pig.. LOL!
    PS. good to see ya go Daniel Edwards! keep up the great work Kevin and Annamarie

49. roni says:

i like to add sesame seed milk that I make. Its easier to find fresh sesame seeds here than organic almonds. Also, there seems to be something in sesame seed products that my body really wants and likes. (include tahini and small amount of sesame oil here)

personally, I think you are doing a great job distilling and disseminating information – there is so much out there, and so much of it is half “baked”….;))

BTW – what do you think about an organic dried tropical fruit and vegi cooperative? I am gearing up to build a walk in solar powered dehydrator…

50. David says:

Being one who was allergic to milk as an infant. I began to gain a tolerance to it at 5 years of age. Although having chronic asthma as a child and into my adult life i cut out all dairy products over 3 years ago and have not had anymore bouts with asthma. For myself i use almond , hemp, coconut water / milk for all my smoothies, juices, and cereals. I researched studies that showed dairy products create a mucous build up on the lung sacs in which block or narrow the air ways.

51. Kelly says:

Plant-based milks are not “substitutes” for animal-based milk. Animal-based milk became the substitute for human milk. It’s time to wean!

There’s nothing better than human milk for a baby….after that, it’s just not necessary for replacements. Almond, Rice, Soy, or Coconut Milk should be ‘drinks or beverages or smoothies”-why are we so consumed to find ‘milk’ replacements?

Re: Treeplanter.
    As a vegan, i live optimally healthy, eating a diverse menu of whole plant-based foods every day. My blood work is pristine. To suggest I may require supplementation due to being vegan is nonsense. I’m healthier than any omnivore out there that is clogging their arteries with animal based products. Anything the cow or pig or chicken eats, I eat directly from Mother Earth as well. Perhaps instead of suggesting there is a “problem with a ‘vegan’ diet” it could be rephrased as the problem with eating animal-based products, saturated fats, cholesterol, toxins, hormones,….

52. Anna21 says:

Kev & Annemarie,

I also appreciate the wealth of information you bring to people through your videos & articles. I’m not raw or a vegan anymore, but I still learn a lot from you both. I have no idea why Daniel was so bitter, but I am sure that his opinion is not shared by the majority of your subscribers. Of course it’s ok to have a difference of opinion, but there is no need for someone to be so bitter about it.

As for almond milk, I love it!!! Also love sesame & cashew milks. Sometimes I get the processed versions(like Blue Diamond), sometimes I make it myself. I sometimes drink bitter medicinal herbs or teas and the nut milks with a dash of sea salt makes it go down much easier. I do miss raw milk from humanely raised cows though, but I am allergic to casein.

BTW, I am very glad that goat’s milk allowed you to recover from some health issues that you were experiencing. Sometimes we have to experiment with our diets a bit to find out what works for us. As long as you get better, that is what truly counts.

53. Veronica says:

Thanks, Kevin, for an honest answer and great look at almond vs. cow’s milk.

We use both milks in our home. Almond milk is my favorite, but love other nut milks. Yes, you can make other nut milks the same as almond milk. I keep raw cow’s milk on hand for my family, mostly, as I am lactose intolerant, but can certainly drink raw cow’s milk easier than pasteurized. We use either in our smoothies, in our dandelion coffee or on granola.

Veronica

54. Anna21 says:

Plus you guys taught me how to make raw cheese. I cannot have soy cheese, or real dairy cheese, and would cheat sometimes (bad, I know). So the raw cheese recipes came in so handy and I stopped craving the dairy & soy cheeses. You guys are the best!

55. I love almond milk. I put it in my fruit smoothies.

56. Ineke says:

I forgot to ask you the following. Since you mentioned that you try to answer all the questions I have been pondering the following one. (YOu have answered some of my questions in the past)

Oregano oil: Since it is anti bacterial I use it on my gums and I have great results with it . You have mentioned that you have used it for intestinal issues when you travel. How do you use it? Do you dilute it with water or do you use it full strength? How much? How can a child use it to let’s say prevent a cold or flu? Is there any contra indicator to keep in mind? Thank you Kevin

57. Eric says:

This video does not address a very important issue. Almonds have one of the highest amounts of phytic acid which powerfully binds minerals. Inhibiting phytic acid can help to reverse tooth decay. I’d recommend using it only to whiten your coffee unless it is made from almonds soaked for about 12 hours prior to processing. Taken on an empty stomach phytic acid can cure cancer and help dissolve kidney stones. Nuts and seeds also contain enzyme inhibitors that can cause anemia. People with anemia should never eat raw seeds or nuts except hemp which is supposedly free of them. It is supposedly free of phytic acid as well. I wish I had more to go on than anecdotal evidence about hemp.

58. altopod says:

I’m drinking almond milk right now!

59. Betoman says:

I drink hemp milk more often than almond milk. It is easier to make and much more nutritious that almond milk, with more omega 3s and protein.

60. Edvier says:

Yes Yes and Yes. I used to buy cow milk, but as soon as I taste this Almond Milk and how my body can tolerate it, i start using it forever. Vanilla flavor, original flavor it all depends on what you want to use it for. I use it for cereal, or pancakes, is just delicious. My favorite recipe: Almond Milk, Honey Cheerios and Cinammon…try it it’s awesome.

61. Felix says:

About all I learned from the vid was that nut milks have a different nutrition profile to cows’ milk, goat milk, etc. Gee, I’m glad you told me that, I couldn’t work that out on my own! I use real cows’ milk (always have, always will) but have been using raw/fresh milk since I found a local supplier.

62. Blythe says:

Hey,

I have been doing this detox that a very reliable medical intuitive has told me to do and so far it has been working for me. Part of this detox requires me to drink a green powder in water 2 times a day. I have been using this concentrated green powder from trader Joe’s filled with just various assorted greens. In your opinion, do you think Trader Joe’s is a fairly reliable place to buy products? Of course not EVERYTHING is going to be 100% okay, but for the most part have you had good experiences with their products if you’ve ever shopped there?

Thanks,
    Blythe

63. estheraida says:

I like to make my own almond milk. Store brought kinds have extra stuff in it that makes it taste funny to me.
    I prefer making hemp milk tho. It’s easier to throw together in the morning and gets me going pretty fast to work. The ingrediants I use are: hemp seeds; banana; dates; water; and sometimes maca powder if I have it.

64. Brenda says:

I like almond milk when I make it myself. I rarely have it. I like it in chai tea. I also like coconut milk in chai tea. YUM! :-D

65. I’ve never been much of a milk drinker, and I’m in the school that believes that milk is not good for you – raw or not.

When I do need to use milk – like in my smoothies or to make pancakes – I usually switch off between coconut milk and almond milk.

66. Nicki says:

I LOVE almond milk. I probably drink too much of it when I have it around the house! It’s my favorite drink besides water! I love using it in smoothies and putting it in my oatmeal in the morning. I hate real milk and so it’s perfect for when I’m craving something “creamier” than juice water. I’ve actually been concerned lately because I’m realizing how many almonds I consume on a daily basis. I put at least a few almonds in almost every meal I eat, and, like I said, when I have almond milk just sitting around it doesn’t take me long before it’s all gone! should I be worried about causing myself to be allergic to almonds? Maybe it would be better to switch up the nuts I eat every couple days?

67. Sandi Neal says:

For nursing vegan mothers raw goats milk is the closest to mothers milk. Also for people who are still using a lot of dairy.. please read “The China Study” He did a lot of research and can turn cancer on and off with the amount of protein given… of which CASEIN from dairy being the worst. Cows milk was made for baby cows.. after they are weaned they don’t drink it anymore. Usually you do a good job answering questions, but I think you struck out on this one.

68. Edith says:

Since the dairy association has required that soy, rice, almond etc. drinks not be allowed to call themselves “milk”…(milk has to be, “the excretions of the mammary glands of mammals”,)I think that we should refer to almond “milk” as almond drink etc. and that actual cow’s milk or goat’s milk should be labelled as, “the secretions of the mammary glands of cows/goats”….who is going to drink that?

69. anonymoose says:

I’ve tried substituting almond and coconut milk for regular whole milk in my cereal, but it just didn’t work. It basically tasted like bad water in my cereal.

I do love me some GOAT milk however! Nutritionally, it’s better than cow milk, and closer to human milk.

Trader Joe has great tasting goat milk brand. (they also have yummy vanilla bean yogurt!)

70. Peter says:

This video reply could have gone more into the nutritional specifics of this milk versus another milk, the and pro’s and cons.

71. Jane says:

I LOVE almond milk, coconut milk, almond cheese, and aged RAW goat cheese! Thanks for sharing all the healthy tips with us! :)

72. dana says:

Hi Kevin, We love homemade almond mylk here, I love hemp and sesame mylks too! I have also noticed, since giving up cow milk, and converting to nut mylks, I don’t feel the need for it everyday, only usually in recipes or I will make it for our toddler.

2 questions for you:

Do you recommend any calcium supplements, we are dairy free in our family, occasionally we have raw goat cheese. I just bought some coral calcium powder, says it is sourced naturally. I put it in our 2 year old’s green smoothies in the morning. And also take it myself occasionally.

Is there a smoothie/protein powder meal replacement powder you could recommend for my hubby who is on the road alot as an airline pilot? He has recently become more health conscious, and is basically eating a plant based diet with eggs, and occasional meat/fish. Was looking at your smoothie powder, but looks like there isn’t protein in it. Would you recommend mixing it with a certain protein powder? It definately has to taste really yummy, or he won’t eat it. He would like to replace one of his meals on the road with it, as it is extremely hard for him to find really nutritious foods on the road.

Thanks so much!

73. CHRIS says:

hi, I drink maremilk, it tastes like haselnuts and is very healthy for adult and especcially good for babies who have cowmilk
    intolerance
    I don’t know if you will find it in the US, since I am from belgium, and here is a horsemilking farm
    they make also very good soaps and cosmétics

74. CHRIS says:

I forgot to tell that I started to drink the horsemilk because I had gut problems and PSORIASIS
    these problems disappeared within 2 months
    this is their site : http://www.fermedelacomogne.be
    greatings

chris

75. lisa says:

?? Very curious as to why, precisely, you think buckwheat is more nutritious than wheat (especially if you grind your own, or sprout).

?? And, perhaps I missed on other days, but what do you feel about a nice local raw honey.

?? And, I have searched ALL OVER for a long time trying to find scientific data on what happens to foods when we sprout them. There is nothing readily available. Can you point me to a resource or share some of what you have heard?

76. Cindy says:

I don’t really care for nut milks. I love full fat organic cow’s milk. I also love horchata (rice milk) when it’s homemade. It’s yummy!

77. Susan says:

Hi y’all!

I love Almond milk…specially homemade. I recently purchaed a VitaMix and am i love with its capabilities.

And as for Daniel…LATER!!

78. David says:

Almond milk is great! My kids, wife & myself are all lactose intolerant so almond milk has been a godsend. We’ve tried the other “milks” as well: Rice, Soy, Hemp, etc. Almond has the best taste, texture, and most importantly: price. Highly recommend!

79. Dee says:

I usually make sesame mylk as it is very easy, I don’t strain it. Also like pecan mylk, great flavor.

80. Marisa says:

Hi Barbara (comment#7)
    Traditionally many cultures consumed animal milks so just from this fact, it gives me a clue that it’s not the milk that’s the problem, it’s what the modern food system has done to it–which is pasteurization and homogenization, making it highly allergenic, and oxidizing the healthy cholesterol available (some hypothesize oxidized cholesterol is a cause of heart disease). But raw milk from grass-fed animals, the original thing, is traditionally one of the healthiest things you can drink (especially the cream at the top!). Take care!

81. Cheryl says:

Haven’t had cows milk for about 10 yrs. I drink rice milk or Almond milk. Thanks for the video.

82. HopandSkip says:

This is a great question! When I was first getting into health years ago, and was told to get off of milk by one of my first mentors, I started drinking soy milk and loved it…until I found out how bad soy was and they started adding icky ingredients into the soy milk I purchased.

Then another mentor told me about raw cow milk. I began to drink to raw cow milk and loved it.

When my children were born and I needed to supplement breast milk, I started using raw goat milk because of the research I had done indicating it was the closest things to human breast milk with a smaller protein. I added some cod liver oil and a teeny bit of unsulphered blackstrap molasses for the iron. I had to order the goat milk frozen from across the US.

Then, I found the goat milk I was getting, though raw, was not organic. Geeeesh!

So we are back to grass fed organic raw cow milk and for a few years found a local semi-grass fed goat milk source.

We used to enjoy almond milk from time to time as well, but it does not have the same nutrient profile and so we do not use it much anymore as a “milk” replacement. But if I had some health issue that prevented me or my children from drinking raw cow/goat, I would probably go with homemade almond or coconut. To the almond milk we used to get commercially they have now started adding canola oil to…yuk!

This is all a journey. Changing opinions is healthy as we learn and grow and pay attention to our body and what we feel God is telling US to give to OUR family. That may be different for every family.

For all those who have a staunch opinion that what is right for them should be right for everyone else too…give it up. :0) The need to control other people’s choices is never a healthy one.

Share you opinion (or what it is at the moment) and let it go. Everyone else is on a journey as well, and theirs may look very different than yours.

And Kevin, even though your answer was not analytical, it provided a great forum for others to discuss this topic and share their wisdom. If you were always the “expert” then some of these lovely people on here would not get to share their wisdom.

Thank you so much!

83. db : ) says:

Yes I drink raw organic Almond Milk; however, I make my own w/a couple of medjool dates in the Soyabella. Yum.

Right now I am on raw goats milk (Claravale Farms) for a day, because of an allergic reaction most likely w/some other vegan food I was eating. So I would see if after a day I felt better. I remember hearing Kevin say he used goats milk when he had some health issues. I definitely feel better than last night but not totally recovered yet.

Almond milk (I soak my almonds) may taste good, but in my opinion it is not as life-supporting as raw goats milk. Nuts can also have issues: https://secure.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/wiki/Aflatoxin

Financial raw back: raw goats milk is $8.50 a bottle including a bottle deposit, so not cost effective for daily use for me. Now if I had a goat…

http://www.roseofsharonacres.com/raw_goat_milk_benefits Of course there can be health risks and benefits w/any raw food…even raw goats milk.

84. tj says:

I personally drink almond milk, the unsweetened kind, instead of cow’s milk. Almond milk has way less sugar in it, and it tastes fine. I use it in my cereal, with protein added, and in my smoothies on a daily basis. Once in a while, I will buy some coconut milk, but almond milk is by far the most nutritious in my opinion. But what do I know? I am just an old fart who went down from 250 pounds to 165 in four months….

85. [...] publishing the Almond Milk vs. Cow’s Milk question I answered the other day, I was reading through the comments and came across this one from [...]

86. Luetta says:

I love almond milk! I also like fresh goat milk. The key word here is raw, fresh, from clean goats; goat milk. Rice milk can be too sweet sometimes. I also like hemp and coconut milk. I have not tried making my own almond milk yet. Is there a way to completely liquefy the whole amount of almonds you use? If not, what do you usually do with the residual? Thank you!

87. David says:

Way too broad of a subject to cover in a few minutes.

88. Bill Kinney says:

Vitamin D3 is needed by babies. But makers of almond milk but in D2, because if they put in D3 then the almond milk wouldn’t be pure “vegan”. Purists could reject it out of hand. So they shout “VEGAN” but whisper D2 and mention that it is not a substitute for milk for babies. This is why. But they could put in D3 (from fish or animal sources) if they wanted to. The fear of losing a few vegan purists keeps them from doing it. I make sure I have some D3 along with my almond milk because I don’t make my own yet.

89. Rhonda says:

Well said Kev “@Daniel: Building upon what others have done in the past is probably one of the most successful ways to help find your own. I proudly share other information gleaned from other experts. In fact, it’s one of my keys to great health.”

It makes sense to me that cows milk is meant for her baby calf no humans. And human milk is meant for her baby, and that is all we need of it.

I had a great registered dietician on my radio program today, Brenda Davis and we talked about the “middleman” of our foods. Do we really need to go to a cow or a goat for our nutrients from her milk? I don’t think so.

If we choose a plant-based diet, then we simply need to balance our daily intake to include foods that give us the necessary vitamins and minerals from nuts, seeds, grains, vegetables and fruit.

In my opinion, we do not need another animals secretions for health. I love all the nut milk options that are available as well as making my own.

Kind regards,

Rhonda

90. gizhealth says:

Hello Kevin,
    I, like Barbara am surprised that you seem to say that any type of milk is beneficial. I have always been lactose intolerant and I have read and heard much about how harmful cow’s milk is for all mankind. My husband and I work in a hospital and every day we see patients coming in with many problems that are related to cow’s milk consumption.
    I thought that you would have made the demarkation line clear between the two.I am quite disappointed.

• Kevin Gianni Kevin Gianni says:

@gizhealth: Please don’t blame just the milk. I’m sure that the people who are coming to you have a combination of problems and if you removed just the milk, they’d be just as bad off. Commercially “harvested” milk is VERY bad. And I make a distinction between this at all times. If you don’t see that, then I assume that you’re blinded by some sort of dogma. But again, I don’t think just the milk is the issue. It’s one of many.

If you’ve seen a good portion of my work, you’ll see that I support the use of fermented goat’s dairy for therapeutic purposes in some cases. Obviously, if you’re lactose intolerant, you wouldn’t use unfermented milk and maybe not even fermented milk. Since you work in the health field, I’m sure you understand that health is not black and white. There are many shades in any answer and to shun a certain food blindly is incorrect.

91. Sherrie says:

I drink 16 0z of almond milk a day in tea and cereal… It seems that I should skip every 5th or 6th week so I don’t become allergic to it.

92. anonymous says:

I looove full fat milk. In fact I put whipping cream in my coffee. Fat, contrary to all the bull crap out there is amazing for us. Ask 100,000 years of your ancestors!!