Is It OK to Eat Goji Berries Every Day? : The Renegade Health Show Episode #868

Tuesday Jul 19 | BY |

There are a lot of superfoods out there and you know that I’m a little skeptical of most of them…

Today, I talk about goji berries and if it’s ok to eat them every day. I also answer a question about iceberg lettuce and whether it’s really as bad as everyone says it is.

Take a look now…

Your question of the day: Do you eat iceberg lettuce? Do you think it’s that bad?

1. Susan E Roth says:

If you are lucky enough to actually have a local organic source of iceberg lettuce, then you would eat it. I actually prefer it for sandwiches- shredded. Nice and cool. I prefer Romaine for salads, with some wild greens thrown in. I eat the loose greens in the Spring, either from my own garden or locally grown.
    And I have not read your comment on eating goji berries everyday, but there are very few foods I would eat everyday. BTW, Goji’s have a lot of the same nutrients as mulberries,which grow everywhere and you can dry them yourself. Much cheaper too. Peace and good eating, Susan

2. Vita says:

l have not eaten iceberg lettuce since l found out years ago that my children’s iguana would die on a steady diet of it, but would thrive on romaine lettuce. So only organic romaine and leaf lettuces for me!

3. Bernadette says:

It is ok to eat. If you are trying to consume the most nutrient dense food, it is a poor choice.

4. Beth says:

Can’t remember the last time I ate iceberg lettuce. But it was the basis of our salads while growing up.

5. Tyra McMahon says:

I think organic iceberg lettuce is fine to eat as long as you are incorporating lots of leafy greens too. I love it cause it’s high in water content so its refreshing and hydrating on a hot day.

6. Tyra McMahon says:

oh and yes I have goji juice every day and a tincture from David Wolfe called the 3 sisters that has goji in it. My body loves it and I have received alot of benefits from it. But that’s just me.

7. Kathleen says:

Iceberg lettuce is a very good lettuce for juicing. It has a lot of water in it and is high in dietary fiber. Some juicer books suggested it for making natural laxatives.

8. Veronica says:

I have iceberg sometimes. It’s still a great addition to a salad because of the crunch and high water content like celery, but adding in romaine, mesclun and spinach to the mix makes me overall favorite green salad.

9. Adrienne says:

I LOVE iceberg (or burg) lettuce and had some today in my salad. I love that it is cool and crisp. And while it ain’t no superfood, I agree with the above comment that if you are eating other greens and it is organic, it’s all good in the hood. And it has a high water content and silica mineral. Dayum!! 😉

10. Jeanine Creek says:

Why NOT just substitue Organic ROMAINE lettuce for that iceberg you grew up on?! Romaine will work well in all your recipes and provide you with so much more nutrition! ALSO(I read somewhere that iceberg lettuce has a wonderful shelf-life, like up to a month, and that this same feature actually makes the lettuce also “last” much longer in you digestive system than any of the other lettuces!) OOOOOOOHHHHH! No Thanks! xo!

11. DENISE says:

You guys are awesome, I learn so much from you and your dedication is inspiring!
    Ok…last time I ate iceberg lettuce? It has to have been at my parents house. The only place in the world I would feel bad about ‘turning up my nose’ to the S.A.D.
    😀

12. Carolyn Landry says:

I eat it occasionally because it is the only lettuce my husband will eat. I don’t think it is bad, it has lots of water and a nice crisp taste but I much prefer romain and the darker green and red leaf lettuces and organic baby spring mix.

13. Gini says:

I haven’t eaten iceberg lettuce for many years when it was being reported to cause colon blockage. It wasn’t just about the lack of nutrients as much as the colon blockage. I wonder if that is true- I don’t know, but to be safe have not eaten it. I love romaine- so crunchy and green.

I’m glad you confirmed what I had heard about goji berries being a nightshade. I had heard that but didn’t know if it was true or not. I do have to watch my nightshades of get inflammation in my joints.

14. Velda says:

While iceberg lettuce is not the most nutrient of the lettuces, it does have benefit. As Tyra said, it has a high water content, which is good, and it also has vitamin K. Vitamin K will help you absorb the other vitamins and nutrients from the rest of your food …. plus it is fiberous. Iceberg lettuce has it’s benefits. Of course, you can’t survive on it, but that doesn’t mean that it has no benefits.

15. Elly says:

We eat a Huge Salad at least once a day – the base of the salad is usually Iceberg Lettuce (about 90% of the time),
    But, that is only the base. I add in lots of other lettuces and herbs, and crunchy vegetables (cucumber every day, fresh peas, shredded carrots, Chayote, green/spring onions, sweet onions, sprouts, …..) (I have trouble with nightshades, so I put them in smaller bowls for everyone else).
    Years ago I read all of Dr. Paavo Airola’s books, and he always recommended high water content foods. I looked at my Grandmother, in her amazing health, and saw that she ate larger quantities of vegetables, raw and cooked and pickled ….. she had had 6 children, and she grew a huge garden, and she lived in excellent health until the end of her life at age of 103. I figured that the nutrients in the vegs and fruits, and the high water content of those foods, were at least part of the reason for her health.
    An entire head of iceberg lettuce has very few calories in it, and so if you are trying to limit your calories to protect your telomeres etc., I see that ‘satisfying crunch and sweetness’ as a wonderful tool. I have also read that there is something in lettuce that is calming to the body. So I will eat a big slice of it if I am stressed, or not feeling well. And Organic is super tasty.
    I didn’t know that goji berries were a member of the nightshade family – Thank you for that information … I have been enjoying, without noticeable difficulty, green tea and goji berry tea (Yogi Teas – Delicious!), but I will keep an eye on it – it may be the reason for my lingering issues with arthritis (there are other flavours after all…). The arthritis is nearly gone now that I have eliminated Nightshades (Tomato, Peppers, Potato, Eggplant) from my diet.

Thank you both for all the great information, and your honesty in revisiting issues when you learn something new. WE each live in different bodies, and different circumstances from one another, and your experiences, and knowledge, are a great help to us in our search for the right answers for our own health.

16. Debra says:

Iceberg lettuce seems to hit the spot on the hottest days. I most love it then and am fine with receiving it when I go out to a restaurant and order a salad.
    Regarding the colon blockage mentioned by Gini, I recall that when I did research on IBD (Inflammatory Bowel Disease), a lot of the study participants (those with IBD) said that lettuce in general was poorly tolerated/aggravated symptoms.
    Debra
    (living in Bend where you may have just been rained on in your tent)

17. Karen says:

I bought a head of iceberg from the supermarket a couple months ago to use for tacos. It was wrapped up and said it was organic. I used some of it and it got pushed to the back of the fridge. I found it about two weeks later and it still looked good. The only reason could be that it had some unknown chemicals on it to keep it fresh. Organic! I think not!

Thanks, Kevin

18. Janet says:

I eat iceberg lettuce occasionally. I had stopped eating it years ago because I had heard that it was nutritionally void, but recently have started adding it back into my diet. If nothing else, it provide fiber and the high water content and crunch, like others have said, make it enjoyable to eat. I also think that eating spinach and the same greens for salads all the time may be depriving me of other valuable nutrients, so I try to mix it up as much as I can. For some reason I’ve been drawn to iceberg lettuce again recently and so I’m going with it. It’s the old listen to what your body wants idea that you were talking about, Kevin. Everything in moderation, always switching it up, seasonally incorporating crops, that’s what it’s all about. That way we stay well rounded on an annual basis.

Love your show, Kevin. Keep up the good work.

19. Last year was the first time I tried goji berries. I loved them and ate for about two weeks until the next time I ate them I nearly vomited and such horrible stomach cramps that I almost took myself to the emergency room. I was not sure if it was goji berries so I waited a few days and tried again and same thing. Again I could not believe and waited another few days and took only six and same thing. Waited a month, bought a new bag and again same thing! I did a total of six time as I DID NOT want to be allergic or whatever to this great food. Anyone else ever have that problem?

20. Sarah says:

Hi Kevin: Great post! As always 🙂 I loved what you said about people becoming rigid on their diets and not being healthy. I see this all the time with my clients. Nourishment comes from many sources: culinary, spiritual, physical and so on. Regarding iceberg lettuce: years ago in nutrition school, I was taught that iceberg lettuce was not a nutrient dense food, but this wasn’t the real reason to avoid it. The real reason to avoid it is that it is a watery vegetable and therefore easily rots. So in order to inhibit the rotting process, these lettuces are gassed with a rather toxic gas to keep them from spoiling as they are trucked long distances to market. I am assuming this would not be the case with organic iceberg but I have to say I have not really seen organic iceberg lettuces readily available. I will admit, though, on rare occasions, I will have that classic indulgence: the chilled wedge of iceberg with bleu cheese dressing! How’s that for a nutritionist?

21. Patricia says:

Every once in a while when I am at the store, iceberg lettuce looks good… maybe twice a year… I buy it and enjoy it for a change of pace and because I understand it is a source of silica… can’t remember exactly… but I think it has at least one good mineral in it.

22. Kuru says:

I remember seeing that iceberg is especially good for the lymph system, not sure why except the water content. I think it has a longer fridge life because of its crispiness, like bell peppers. I haven’t had it in years, but am getting a craving talking about it!

23. Jasmine says:

I don’t believe iceburg lettuce is BAD at all. Do I think it’s the BEST? No. I don’t buy it on a regular basis, but when I was in Mexico it was some of the only type I could get at times.

I don’t believe it will hurt me, but I do choose darker green lettuce varieties when the options are available (which is most of the time).

24. Candice says:

I still eat an occasional salad with organic iceberg lettuce. It may be low in nutrients compared to other greens, but as nutrients-per-calories goes, it’s pretty high up there. I’m not a big fan of watery greens, like iceberg and romaine, just because they don’t taste as good as some of the tougher greens.

And I do like a few goji berries at the bottom of a cup of tea!

25. marc says:

I don’t know about eating it, but I do know the chinese used it almost daily in their teas and food… consuming goji berries like you would raisins (by the handfuls) ? Is very similar to the misinformation on soy which was embraced and perpetuated by the alternative health communities years ago. This seems to be more of a western concept… “more is better.”

26. Anne says:

Can’t remember the last time I ate iceberg lettuce. I think of it as a sandwich lettuce and I don’t eat sandwiches. We were brought up eating salad at every diner (my mum hails from France) but usually it was butter lettuce (boston lettuce) or some other green leaf or other lettuce. Growing my favorite lettuce was actually belgian endives (not very green hey but has a bitter taste) so on my birthday it was always the salad of choice.

Now I my diner is usually a huge salad and it’s either green leaf, Red leaf or romaine usually although I normally use Romaine in my green smoothies (just had one) and keep the soft leaf lettuces for salad.

So happy about the variety at the farmers markets at the moment…yeah!

27. Diane says:

Last time was months ago when iceberg was what the restaurant I was at served. Most of the time now I have kale as my greens. It’s a bit chewy but I like it. I wash it, break it into bite sized pieces, coat it with olive oil and store enough for several days. Sometimes I add other greens, sometimes not.

28. Laura says:

Meant to post the other day while on the topic of teeth…re: goji berries. Over the course of 2 years I lost about 60lbs by changing my diet. During that time I ate a lot of goji berries. Snacking on them throughout the day really helped to wean me off of the SAD diet,I thought it was a good thing, as the weight was coming off and I felt great! However, last week while at my annual check-up, my dentist was puzzled by how I could have gotten THREE cavities, all between my my molars, when my dental hygiene was so good? I am quite certain that my super food snack solution was the culprit, as I was literally snacking on them all day, and only flossing at night. Feel pretty foolish now! Live and learn.

• Lance says:

Laura, I’m so sorry to hear about your dental crisis. I, too, eat goji berries every day, but not dry for the most part. I don’t like the way they stick to my teeth when they’re dry and I am very aware that sticky foods of any kind trap the bacteria against the teeth. These bacteria, in turn, excrete their acids after consuming the foods for themselves which softens the enamel post haste. The result is a cavity. I’m sure you’re fully aware of how this works by now, but perhaps other people reading here wouldn’t think of this kind of issue.

I personally think the best way to eat goji berries is in tea. They are easy to chew and far less sticky once they are soaked for about 20 mins in the boiling tea or immediately after pouring the boiled tea into a cup. The heat also activates many of the nutrients in the berries and primes the digestive system for better digestion. This is a Chinese custom, to have hot soup or tea before a meal to prepare the digestive tract and increase the metabolic rate. (I’m an American, but I’ve lived in China for nearly 6 years.)

I would like to share a story for anyone who is unaware or skeptical about the power of goji berries as being one of the most powerful foods on Earth. Yes, it is a member of the nightshade family of foods so people who are sensitive to those foods should be very cautious to watch for symptoms once the berries are consumed. However, for my girlfriend, her friends and myself, we have some amazing stories which clearly demonstrate the power of these little jewels.

Last year, my girlfriend and I were living in a horribly polluted part of Hong Kong and our whole house’s interior was covered in solid black mildew. We are both very allergic to mildew, so we coughed for literally 6 months which was the kind of coughing you’d expect from someone with TB or pneumonia. It was pulling muscles in my back and chest, and my girlfriend started gaining weight from a compromised immune system. It was becoming difficult to walk from lack of oxygen being carried to my limbs, we had developed serious asthma-like symptoms and we both were having regular migraines and itchy skin daily.

Once our bodies’ resources had both become exhausted by fighting the environment for so long, we both got horrible stomach cramps and associated mouth sores. (Yes, they are directly related, not from a virus. It’s a very common problem in people living in Hong Kong.) That’s when I discovered the power of goji. I took a handful of the low-grade dried berries and chewed them up, then down the hatch they went. I did it a second time a few hours later. Within 20 minutes my stomach pain had lessened and by that night my mouth sores had already begun to close up with majorly reduced pain. I told my girlfriend about my results as her condition was worsening. She tried a handful that night with similar results to what I had the next morning. By the end of the second day, it was almost as if we never had a problem in the stomach at all.

That was about a year ago, and since then we still eat them sprinkled over our food, put into our soups and floated on our tea 2 to 3 times a day. About 3 months ago, my girlfriend informed me that she no longer needs to wear her glasses. In fact, when she tries to wear them, the glasses give her a headache. These berries truly are amazing.

I met several people in the Philippines who had been cured of cancer by drinking Himalayan Goji Juice. I have met others who fixed their thyroid issues and reversed diabetes. It gives a major boost to the libido and staying power, helps in the assimilation of other herbs, cleanses the blood, and has even been said to cure some individuals of HIV at the right dosage.

Regardless, I know what it’s done for me and my loved ones, and it can do the same for you. Better than anything any drug company can ever manufacture.

29. zyxomma says:

I haven’t purchased iceberg lettuce in decades. The last time I ate it was in nopalitos (cactus tacos) at a Mexican restaurant. The only thing I consume daily is water. I vary my food intake according to what’s in season, what I have on hand, and what my body is craving (usually because of the weather).

Health and peace.

30. I eat iceberg lettuce almost daily because it’s the only lettuce my hubby will eat. I eat Cos lettuce for my breakfast and/or lunch but dinner salads usually consist of iceberg.

31. Tiff says:

you’re making me hungry for iceberg lettuce!

you’re so right about the mental stiffness around the 1 min point. I was vegan briefly, now I’m into WAPF because I’m a mom and I see how that’s how my family thrives. These daily bone broths make me feel extreme health.

32. Faye says:

I haven’t eaten Iceberg Lettuce for years, but recently while shopping for lettuce (I live in Southern China) I could find no romaine or other lettuces but come across Iceberg and bought some. My mother always used Iceberg Lettuce from the garden and it was a staple in all her salads while growing up. It has the crunch that is what makes a great salad, in my opinion, so I was simply happy to find it. By the way, it always lasted a long time in the fridge when I was a kid, so I think organic or not…it could last a while.
    Talking about Goji Berries…my Chinese friend noted that I was eating them everyday and commented that you shouldn’t eat “too many” but just a few if you eat them everyday. Just like the comment about eating Almonds…not a whole bag, but just a few is ok. We in North America tend to think “big” portions in everything which may be something we need to look at or change in our thinking.
    Thank you Kevin and Annmarie for all your work. It’s so much appreciated!

33. I love to eat iceberg lettuce with blue cheese dressing have not eaten that for over a year but OMG soooooooooooo yummy. I would say Blue cheese Iceberg lettuce salad is Gastronomically “Orgasmic” to me. That is about the only time I indulge in that kind of dressing and iceberg lettuce. Once a year max!

Right now I am into Parsley, cilantro and dandelion greens. Those are my almost everyday greens. Cilantro increases the metabolism and I love the taste, Parsley is full of vanadium, and good to act as an internal deodorant, and dandelion greens, the King of greens (other than wheatgrass) – Dandelion greens gives energy, cleans the liver, purifies the blood, dissolves kidney stones, eliminates acne, lowers blood pressure, cures anemia, lowers cholesterol by half, reduces and eliminates acid indigestionfrom fatty food buildup, relieves constipation and or diarrhea, assists in weight reduction, cures cancer (I know you cannot say that but I said it anyways) prevents and controls diabetes, anti plaque for your teeth, Pectin and Vitamin C rich helping to remove heavy metals,and more. I’d pick dandelion over iceberg lettuce – and it is CHEAPER! he he.

Thanks Kev for your Rockin’ video. Keep ’em coming.

34. James Fischer says:

My wife, Gina, keeps buying it. I tell her to get the red or green leaf lettuces, or the Butter lettuces, but, she still is acustom to the iceburg.
    Jim

35. maca says:

If I had a choice of lettuces, then I’d buy others before iceberg. But if I was around a friend’s house and the served iceberg lettuce then I’d eat it. I don’t think there’s anything wrong with it; it’s just that most other lettuces have more flavor and more nutrition. But you can’t just stick to the one best thing all the time, as you need a variety of food.

But this is a bit of a pointless debate. Why worry so much about one item of food?

36. shine says:

i dont think iceberg is bad no..maybe not the best but not bad..i eat it if i find it organic which is really rare – i actually find it one of the least offensive lettuce to my tastebuds..its kind mild so i really miss it.(flat lettuce is mild and a bit greener i like that too)

37. Mary Magdalen Arokia Das says:

Greetings Kevin and Emery, great stuff from both of you. Appreciate it.

Since taking an interest in your raw food proposition, I have been including more RAW into my meals. All this attention on raw food got me thinking. I suppose cooking of food developed with the discovery of fire. But if eating raw is natural for Humans, why did that change?
    My question: We are getting into this raw food thing as adults. How would you incorporate raw food for toddlers and growing up children? I believe it has to start at the cradle, so to speak.

Hope to have a response.

Regards and keep up the good work.

Mag

38. Yamina says:

Reading all the posts, I became more and more worried… Damned ! I eat lettuce almost every day ! I check on the internet about this iceberg lettuce… Ouuuuuufffffff ! Thanks God ! I am not eating this dangerous stuff but more likely what is called butter lettuce, something very green, tender, crispy and that is called here, in Paris, laitue, simply, because we have not (YET !), like the Americans, the talent to invent so many evil foods ! I understand now how is sad your SAD diet ! I don’t eat greens that are rough, bitter. Only those who are green, tender, juicy, and sweet. I have learnt another thing : nightshades. Oufff ! I don’t like most of them : eggplants – except when they are prepared by the libanese round the corner (my hubby’s friend) as his aubergines caviar (a marvel that I could never reproduced (- You are hidding a crucial ingredient ! He assured me not… – How dare you lie, you, a muslim ?!”) tomatoes, goji (cardboardlike), but alas, I love potatoes (not the white which causes anemia according to Dr Carton but the yellow, red, etc…) and red bell peppers that I find in my supermarket coming from Spain, not organic but more sweet, crispy and juicy than all the organic that I bought with their thick thin and insipidity (and their astounding price !) If I have to choose between the latter, organic, and the previous even boosted, I’ll choose the sweeter one because my tongue indicates that this sweetness is ripeness, the result of a good care of our sunny star. Oufff ! Je m’en sors de justesse pour cette fois…

39. Neeltje says:

Hi,
    I sometimes eat iceberg. Always organic. My neighbour sometimes gives me an iceberg lettuce and the ones she grows in her garden are amazing. The first time I ate them I couldn’t believe it was iceberg. First of all it looked more green then the ones I was used to eat and second, the taste was amazing. Yes, there was taste. I was used that iceberg was just crispy water.
    I also like to put a iceberg lettuce leaf on a plate and serve a nice quinoa salad in it. It looks very decorative.

To Mag #37 I would like to say that my 8 month old baby does get raw food (We eat a whole food diet, plant based, but also meat and dairy). I give her a carrot, tomato, avocado, cucumber and pieces of fruit. I give her a big piece which she holds herself. She can’t really eat it, but with her 2 teeth she scrapes some of the carrot or cucumber. I do take of the skin and seeds to make it easier to eat. Fruit I also put in the blender. We have green smoothies for breakfast and she gets small amounts of it. She still enjoys breast milk the most, but she is interested in other things.
    My son is 27 months old and I did the same with him. I’ve discovered that the secret with getting him to eat raw food is to keep offering it to him. Sometimes he doesn’t eat tomatoes for a month and then suddenly he comes in the kitchen and he eats 2 tomatoes at ones. But I offer a small salad with cucumber, carrots, tomatoes, bell peppers, etc to him at least ones per day. Cucumber and avocado are still his favorite. I never push him to eat anything. If he doesn’t eat anything for dinner I’m fine with it. I let him play and sometimes he comes later to eat and sometimes he goes to bed without eating anything. But most of the time he is more hungry the next morning so he will drink a lot of green smoothie. I still find it hard to see when he doesn’t eat anything, but I’m confident his body tells him what and when to eat. He grows well, looks great, he is never sick and he is all day smiling. I hope this information helps you a little.

40. Vicki says:

Hello There,

We haven’t had iceburg lettuce in years after learning that it is nutrient deficient. We grew up on it, though. Life was different then! We enjoy all greens today, especially romaine, green leaf and dandelion greens. My italian grandmother knew best! We incorporate many raw foods in our diet today and sprout beans, seeds and nuts.

Thank you for all that you do for us, Kev and Ann Marie.

Blessings…

41. BarbaraL says:

To me its equivalent to junk food, i.e, empty calories even though the calories are soo low. Its not that its bad for you but its taking up space in your meal plan in which you could choose something really good for you just as easily, i.e. any other form of lettuce, the greener the better. I eat a large head of romaine almost every day in my evening dinner, and the crunchy quality of it along with lots of cilantro for flavor, and other goodies just makes me feel soo good. Topped off with hemp seed and fresh ground pepper … yum. If you love your body, you make optimum choices for it, your blessed Temple!!!

42. Dee says:

I tend to avoid it, I prefer romaine and green & red leaf lettuce. My turtles like those as well.

43. Lynn Ranos says:

I love “I am lettuce, I am powerful!!” Thanks for the belly laugh!

44. Kadi says:

While I prefer darker varieties, I occasionally eat also iceberg. Most importantly because this is the lettuce that my boys (4 to 9) are willing to eat. While I usually try to fix two salads – one for me and another for them, it occasionally happens that I only have one type of lettuce. And I’m rather content to notice that sometimes they’re now also trying ‘my lettuce’ when I’ve had none of ‘their lettuce’ to lay on the table.
    In short, I do not think we should expect the world to be perfect. Growing up to this world is a long process.

45. Gail says:

Hunh! I forgot all about iceberg lettuce. I don’t even remember what it tastes like but all of a sudden, I want some! Cool and crisp in this 105 degree heat sounds great!

46. Lynn Scott says:

If I ate whatever my body wanted, I’d be 500 lbs by now. (“listen to what your body wants.”) I love the raw diet and the green smoothies. I started to lose fat as I got started and yesterday burned up the blender, so I am eating the “old fashioned way, chewing it.” I feel fat today, so have to stay very concious of everything I eat. I know I ate more fruit and less greens because of not having the smoothie. I’m sure it changes the body chemistry, so I’m trying to be patient and know it’s still better than eating processed, refined, or cooked. I agree not to be rigid, but with an eater like me, I like to make a committment and keep it. Cheese could be a problem for me too, so I am not going to go there for now. Later I will try the wonderful sounding raw recipes. As far as drinking tap water. We are on river water here in our small town, but it is clorided etc. Pretty good in spite of that and I haven’t bought spring water yet, so that is on the list. Did you know that if you leave water out overnight the cloride will evaporate out of it? It doesn’t solve everything, but it helps. A big soup pot does the trick. Just want to say thanks again for your programs and all the comments. It all helps me as I go through this new phase of my journey with food. I love it. It is where I have been going for years. Seems like things are revealed as one becomes ready. xxoo Lynn

47. Lynn Scott says:

Oh, Yeh, the iceberg. Iceberg lettuce didn’t used to look, feel, or smell like it does now in the supermarket. It was leafy and green. A little whiter on the interior than some other lettuces, but the farming of them has become for the masses. It is what the hamburger stands use to shred for their uses. One thing we knew was that if the stem end smelled bitter, not to buy it. Now they all smell bitter. It from over growing it. I don’t like it. Plus I have digestive problems and it does not compute. Not good for the digestion. Love the dark leafy greans. There is something for everyone in God’s garden. xxoo Lynn

48. sheila says:

My friend who studies Qi Gong with a master saw me eating Goji berries and he told me NOT to eat them all the time because his master said they can cause Leukemia. Don’t know if this is fact or fiction but my friend’s master seems pretty wise as in other stories I have heard from this master. Maybe somebody wants to look deeper into this.

49. Ben says:

If people trying to quit smoking listened to their body they would continue to smoke. I think listening to the body is not something most people can do objectively

50. LULA says:

I ate Gojis for 3 month (30-40 gram every day)and had diarrhea many times (one hour after eating Gojis). I blame the Goji also to have caused the diverticulitis I had a few weeks ago. Meanwhile I think it is poison. I stopped eating them. Greetings from Germany…