Concerned You’re Not Getting Enough Minerals? : The Renegade Health Show Episode #861

Friday Jul 8, 2011 | BY |

Today, more video Q & A!

Because I haven’t decided long or short yet, this one is on the longer side… but I address questions like how you know if you’re getting enough minerals, juicer purchasing decisions, candida and how to eat when you’re in a country with poor water quality.

Your question of the day: Can you help Maria out? Which juicer do you have or which one do you like the best?

1. charita says:

I loved this v-post! Thank you. People think they need to be purchasing other supplements to get minerals when all they need to do it up their greens with green juices. So simple. I grew up with my dad juicing with a champion juicer and making smoothies with a vitamix in the 70’s. Champion juicers were always so time consuming and a pain! Still love my dad’s vitamix!

I have a simple Panasonic juice and it works great!

2. Barbara says:

I have an Omega juicer, can’t remember if it’s 8003 or 8005 but it’s the one without the pasta attachment. I highly recommend this juicer as it’s excellent with greens as well as harder vegetables and fruits. In addition, it juices wheatgrass. It’s very reasonable priced too. I’ve been using mine for several years and the only juicer I would even consider changing to is the new Omega VRT juicer.

3. Ramona says:

I have the Juiceman juicer. I’ve had it for at least 6 years and it is great! Powerful engine and easy to use and clean. I’ve also never had to replace any parts. It’s expensive – but I’ve had cheaper ones (around $100) and they were not as powerful and very difficult to use. In fact – had to stop during juicing process to clean filter several times. I guess the old adage “you get what you pay for” is sometimes true.

4. Katya says:

I was steered to buy the Omega 8006 because it was supposed to be the best for doing greens, as well as hard vegetables. Perhaps you get the most minerals and antioxidants from slower juicers. But here’s the downside, I usually do carrots and you have to spend too much time cutting them down to fit. I hate the way it does apples, and I feel like it doesn’t get much juice for all that work. I end up juicing less because of the hassle. I don’t know if I’d buy a cheaper juicer with a bigger chute as my only juicer, but I certainly will keep my eyes open for a 2nd cheaper juicer that’s easier on apples and carrots because more juice is better than too little juice. The benefits of ease may far outweigh a juicer barely used. As for greens, I do green smoothies all the time, so I don’t crave juiced greens.

5. oreganol says:

I agree with Barbara that the Omega 8003/5 is a great juicer. The 8003/5 just refers to the color – one is white and one is green. This is very similar to the Oscar Vitalmax, which I think is a slightly older model of the same machine.

I would personally avoid the Champion, although some people do like it. I had one and I din’t like it at all. I found it difficult to assemble and disassemble. I found that the juice was often warm. And I could juice greens with it. The manual say you can, but I don’t see how it’s possible. It also looks really old-fashioned and I wouldn’t want it out in my kitchen.

The Omega looks great though.

Twin-gear juicers are great for juice quality but they can be quite fiddly. I think for most people a single auger juicer, such as the Omega 8003 would be better. Some people buy a twin-gear but then don’t use it because it’s such a hassle. It’s better to get a juicer that you will want to use.

6. oreganol says:

I meant one is white and one is CHROME (not green). LOL.

7. Joel says:

I think the answer depends on the kind of juicer you want. There are two kinds really to choose from. The masticating juicer like the Omega mentioned above, which is a great juicer by the way or the Green Star, another great one. Whichever you choose, pick one that has the double blade or auger system.

Then there’s the centrifugal juicers that I prefer simply for speed. True, you can’t juice your own wheatgrass, but if you don’t have a lot of time each day to make your batch of juice and you’re doing mostly fruit and vegetables, these are great. I prefer Breville over the others, and they have several different models, but even the low end model does a great job.

Once you decide which kind you want, or maybe even consider both if you can afford them, the key is to always use it. Don’t let it become yet another kitchen gadget used only occasionally.

Good luck and have fun juicing!

8. JT says:

The Omega Vert 350 HD seems to be the juicer that has it all. It is a slow rpm juicer so to not oxidize your juice at all thus preserving the integrity of the juice. It also juices wheatgrass and other leafy greens. The chute is not 3″ but is a fairly good size. The pulp is also fairly dry in comparison to other juicers. The volume is also more than other juicers.

9. JT says:

If you want a video comparison of one juicer against another to see the differences, which doesn’t necessarily suggest one over the other, then go to discountjuicers.com. John Kohler is the juicer king and will show you how to get a juicer to fit your needs. He also answers emails.

10. Jana says:

I have a champion and I use it nearly every day. During summer, watermelon juice is my fave. I also make green drinks with it. Yesterday I made a green juice with collard greens, spinach, romaine, cilantro, celery, apple, lemon, a bit of ginger, topped off with some coconut water. Delish. Champion is the only juicer I’ve owned, so I have no other frame of reference. I bought mine in the 80s. It sat idle a long time, and when I dusted it off in 2006, the two pieces that needed replacing were available and affordable. Been using it ever since nearly every day, and it still works. Some things are harder to get through, like cilantro and spinach. Just alternate them with juicier things like the lemon and apples. Cleanup takes 2-3 minutes — not likely to be that quick your first time using it, but anything on the first try will take more time. Aside from great juice, I think the next thing I like most about the champion is the fact that it still works after all these years. I like things that last.

11. Coco says:

I have a centrifical force Omega juicer and a single auger Omega juicer. I used to have a twin gear juicer but what a pain in the BUTT! I had a Jack Lalaine juicer too, what a beast and it left such wet pulp. Not my fave.
    It’s totally based on what and how you intend to juice as each juicer has something it’s great at and something it’s not great at. John Kohler has excellent comparisons and reviews on discountjuicers.com.

12. Jonathan says:

I have a PHILIPS juicer, and have been very pleased with it. It seems to do fine with harder fruits/veggies like apples and carrots, and also with greens. The pulp is usually pretty dry, so it seems to get a lot of juice out. It is very easy to assemble and clean-up is easy and quick.

13. Jo says:

I have a Miracle Juicer which I’ve used frequently for about 8 years, and is still going strong. It does greens fine if I alternate with harder vegies and fruit. The pulp is very dry. Won’t do wheat grass as it is centrifugal. I add this because I didn’t see any lower price units that work really well.I found the same model at Amazon for $128. I bought it at Dr. David Williams recommendation.

14. alice marsh says:

I have Hurom slow juicer which I love. I think it’s the Japanese version of the Omega Vert. You get a maximum amount of juicer with very dry pulp. It does not heat up so there is no oxidation and the juice keeps longer if you don’t drink it all at once.
    ther cleanup is fast and easy. The downside is that you must cut things smaller but this is out weighed by the benefits. Also you must follow the instructions carefully which mainly tell you to cut the vegs in
    small pieces.

15. Micele says:

Green Star!! Mine has lasted almost 11 years and still going strong!!!

16. Annette says:

Love my Green Life juicer!

17. Cherie says:

Started with a jack lalane juicer. Went to a Champion. Stopped using the Champion juicer and went back to the jack lalane. Took the leap and got a Greenstar. Love it. Now Greenstar is the only one we have.

18. Jacquie says:

LOVE my Green Star juicer. It’s a twin gear and was worth every single penny. It is awesome! 🙂

19. James Fischer says:

I love our Omega Juicer with the melamine auger and it fits right in our kitchen with it’s beautiful chrome.

20. Heike says:

Thanks for your sharing on minerals.My sister in Amsterdam is a great fan of Adya Clarity and I feel some concern now as it comes from Japan ( even if it is faraway from Fukushima)and wander what your thoughts on a) radioactivity and b) the product.I have used it here in New Zealand because many live on rainwater which i feel is vey mineral deplete.Would appreciate your comment on the product and if you have used it and/or what you would personally use? Many thanks Heike

21. hyesun says:

i’ve used my omega 8005 almost everyday for about 7 or 8 years and i LOVE it. they have great customer service too. and the best warranty. if i ever get another one it would be the omega vert.

22. Rae says:

I hope everyone will watch the David Icke video about how pesticides introduced in the 50’s are the main cause of cancer because they neutralize the enzymes that organic fruits and veggies have that kill cancer cells. It’s featured on his headline site right now. Not a reply to your topic, but nothing is more important from a health standpoint.

23. Steph/Cliff says:

we have a PHILIPS juicer which we use twice daily every day, fast, efficient and easy to clean. A family member has been coverted to juicing because of this machine and Jason Vale. They have two children both parents work, mother part-time and they juice everyday without fail. The children love the juice. They took the machine on holiday.

We used to use a masticating juicer but did not get used everyday because of being slow and time to clean machine.

After 4 month we still enjoy using the Philips juicer.

24. Lori says:

I love my Omega 8006, so much I have two of them, one on my counter and one in my camper! Juices everything and simple to clean. Tried the Hurom slow juicer which was more time consuming to clean and did not do greens as well.

25. Dee says:

I have a Breville, not in love with it, but it was on sale and it works. Clean up is time consuming.

26. Gini says:

I have a GreenLife twin cam, an Acme centrifugal, and a Jack LaLanne. I like the Jack Lalanne least of all becasue it ejects the pulp rather than letting it centrifuge all the juice out of the pulp. I have two Acme juicers because one of them was my grandparents’ and it still works!! They started juicing in the 60’s! The Acme is my favorite because it gets all the juice out because you decide when to turn it off to get all the juice out of the pulp.

People have been asking about protein sources. I use raw hempseed powder. A serving has 11 gr protein, 14 carbs, and 14 fiber. I put it in coconut water with my favorite green powder.

27. Marisa says:

Love my Green Star too! Had it for years and is totally worth the money. I bought a Breville a few weeks ago thinking that it might be easier and I can switch back and forth but even though its faster because you don’t have to cut the veggies, it produces WAY more pulp and is more difficult in my opinion to clean.

28. Luetta says:

Hi,

I read through a few of the above comments and I have to say I chose a Vitamix. I wanted all my pulp and I wanted the juice. I love my vitamix because I can make smoothies, ices, frozen yogurt type desserts in minutes for my grandkids, salsa in minutes, and lots of other things. It will liquefy anything. I can’t live without it! It is also easy to clean.

29. rachel says:

Good information. Minerals? yes greens (remember the SOIL must have enough minerals first), but as for a supplement try OmicaOrganics.com liquid minerals, they also offer zeolite.
    Juicer? mine is the Champion and yes it does make juices and also make applesauce or nut butters. Yes it does get warm and so does the juice. They last and last forever. I also have an Acme and it does not like greens. Had a Green star but sold it before I used it.
    namaste’, rachel

30. jasmine says:

Marisa, you must be kidding. I have the Green Star and it is a nightmare to clean well compared to a Breville Juice Fountain at less than half the cost. Yes you get more pulp expelled into the separate jug but at least the Breville is fast, takes under a couple minutes to clean well, and juices everything so the juicing actually gets done.

31. Elo says:

I tried 2 models of Jack LaLanne’s juicers. They are inexpensive but are quite messy and create a lot of waste pulp. I have converted to a Vitamix which is an unbelievable machine. There is no waste. All you have to do is add a little spring water to thin a smoothy down enough to call it juice.