How to Make Quinoa Chicha (Fermented Peruvian Awesomeness) : The Renegade Health Show Episode #855

Thursday Jun 30, 2011 | BY |

Since we’re dealing with candida and gut issues this week, Ann and I decided to give you a fun Peruvian recipe for quinoa chicha…

Chicha is a fermented drink that you can find just about anywhere in Peru (and other countries south of the U.S.)

You can get corn, quinoa, yucca, pineapple, apple and many more.

In this episode, Ann’s going to show you how to make quinoa chicha, which is a fantastic drink to get you more energy and amino acids.

Check it out…

Your question of the day: Have you ever had chicha?

Here’s the recipe for Fermented Quinoa Chicha…

1 oz cinnamon bark
1/4 tsp ground clove
10-12 cups water
3/4 cups quinoa flour
1/4 cup brown rice flour
1/2 cups coconut sugar

Boil water in a saucepan with the cloves and cinnamon. Add in quinoa and rice flour slowly, stirring constantly to avoid lumps and to incorporate in the cinnamon water. Simmer for 20 mins. Let cool and strain, once cool add sugar. Poor into glass airtight containers and place in a dark place at room temperature for 3 days to ferment.

1. Wendy says:

Not yet.

2. Trish says:

That is interesting. I haven’t heard of that drink before. I did learn from an older woman who has been doing a lot of experimentation in her life about how to ferment quinoa and millet and how that is a really nourishing pilaf. She also said that she’ drink the fermented quinoa juice or make it into milk. I haven’t tried that yet though. Fun stuff!

3. Mary says:

Yes I have had chicha. My family is from Peru!
    Will have to try this recipe, I love quinoa and chicha. Thank you.

4. wendy green says:

pineapple chicha….yummy yummy, love in my tummy!

5. Janet says:

Yes had chica many times – first in Peru and also in the US. You gotta try Kiwicha http://southamericanfood.about.com/b/2011/06/26/kiwicha-the-mini-quinoa.htm

6. frit says:

nice. kev, where do you get your sunburn? be cautious man. Nice this chicha i once made quinoa rejuvelac this is nice cause it stay raw. And the ingriedniets are hard to get. Especially coconut sugar is expensive and i dont like to use sugar. Is maple sirup or honey also working?

7. Valerie says:

Have you tried Donna Gates’ Cultured Quinoa Milk Recipe? It is raw, no sugar and tastes really good. I’ve made it for years without the starter in her recipe. Here is the link. http://bodyecology.com/recipes/cultured-quinoa-milk.php I expect it is closer to the historical chicha natives ate before processed sweeteners.

8. Missy says:

Looks delicious! How much would you drink daily to get the benefits? When do you drink it – before or after a meal?

9. Donna says:

I looked at your 2 chicha recipes. The Quinoa one and the Maiz one. The Maiz chicha has culture starter in it but it doesn’t say to add culture started to the Quinoa Chicha? Is this an error? Should there be culture starter in it too? Will the Quinoa Chicha have alcohol in it as well? Drinks like Coconut Kefir that are fermented so not have alchol in them. I was surprised to here that the Cicha de Maiz does. Thanks, Donna

10. Val says:

Haven’t tried it yet. Thanks for the recipes. Since honey is a natural anti-biotic it may not be the best source of sugar for this wonderful beverage.

11. Anne says:

Hi Kev and Annmarie,

Just a question. If you add a starter or the content of a probiotic capsule, I would suppose you make sure that the mixture has cooled down quite a bit. I would imagine it would be the same temperature as when you make Yogurt and add the starter (I do the finger test for this).

Thanks this looks awesome. I’ll have to try it.

12. AtunRa says:

This sounds delicious and Nutritious, I previously made the Chinese Konji using Quinoa now I am planning on trying the Quinoa Chicha without the added alcohol(smile)thanks for sharing Kevin and Anne Marie.

13. I am always looking for something new and healthy for the family to drink. This is certainly a must do.

14. Jia says:

I am surprised that the grain is boiled. This is a little like rejuvalac except rejuvalac is made with sprouted wheat or rye and it is not boiled and no sugar is added. What is better??? Many people in the raw world have not embraced rejuvalac like the Hippocrates Health Institute in South Florida. I will try this with quinoa and amaranth. Also, with a high speed blender, you could rinse the quinoa (to remove the bitter flavor of the quinoa… natural pesticides and enzyme inhibitors)put in the blender with part of the water and the rice and blend. Add remaining water and seasonings and boil 20 minutes.

15. Jacqui says:

Coconut of any kind is not good for me, so could I use honey or molasses instead of the coconut sugar

16. Jacqui says:

Just watched the video and it answered my question above !!

17. Jacqui says:

Would this be a good substitute for coconut kefir water?

18. Gail says:

Nope, not yet. Interesting! I have a loT of Quinoa, too…
    Was thinking same thing as Jia – similar to Rejuvelac.
    Love you guys!

19. Cherie says:

I never had it and neer even heard of it before.

20. jackie says:

I never have, but AnnMarie makes it look easy so I think I’ll try it.
    Thank you!

21. hyesun says:

looks wonderful!! can’t wait to make it. thanks! can you use 100% quinoa? what’s the purpose of the rice flour?

22. Nihacc says:

Only once, a (non alcoholic) chicha morada at a Mexican restaurant. I guess it was corn chicha It was good :)

23. [...] (BTW: If you want to see these recipes, here is the recipe for corn chicha and here is the recipe for quinoa chicha) [...]

24. Thanks for the vid, I’ve never heard of chicha! I assume chicha is not a drink you can share with kids, even if it’s only lightly fermented?

25. Just one question. If you are making your own quinoa flour, how do you get rid of the saponins that are known to make quinoa taste bitter, and are usually washed out of the quinoa before cooking or sprouting it?

26. Carolyn says:

After the saporins are rinsed off quinoa, is there a healthy benefit to drinking water in which quinoa is soaked?

27. Melanie says:

I accidentally stirred the sugar in too soon… right after straining and while it was hot… do I have to redo?