Hidden Ruins and an Ancient Incan Spring : The Renegade Health Show Episode #850

Thursday Jun 23 | BY |

On our trip to Peru, we took a few excursions…

One was to a community up in a high valley to the east of Urubamba in the Sacred Valley.

Our guide, Daniel, had a few things in store for us up there that we didn’t expect. One was some cool cave paintings, the other was an ancient Incan spring they likely drank from, and finally some amazing, hidden ruins.

This is not a place where they bring tour buses or that you have to pay to visit – this is a place where Daniel has grown up and we were lucky enough to know Jacke (our friend) who introduced us to him.

I think you’ll find this place as magical as we did!

Your question of the day: Have you ever been to ruins? If so, where?

Click here, scroll down and leave your comments now!

1. a says:

I’ve been around the old American Indian ruins in the desert southwest (New Mexico, Arizona, Utah)… Love the scenery out there. I hope you post more. That was really neat.

2. Dee says:

I have been to ruins in Cozumel or Cancun. Also, went to Stonehenge.

3. Tara Burner says:

Only ones I’ve been to are in Arizona, Utah, Colorado, New Mexico…I want to go to places out of the states!!!!

4. Elly says:

Belas Knapp and Chedworth Roman Villa – Gloucestershire, England – Amazing what was built so long ago.

Great Videos! Thanks.

5. Velda says:

Well, the only ruin I’ve been to is my house LOL …. but not any ancient ruins. Thanks, Kevin and Annmarie. This was very nice indeed. You can tell you guys really enjoyed being there!!

6. The Sacred Valley, I have been to. The degree to which the rocks are fitted indicates the meaning sacred significance) of the site according to Maria who guided us when I got to to be a speaker on a Power Places Tour with Gregg Braden. Those paintings were a huge bonus. thanks Kevin and AnnMarie. I relate to the altitude challenge as I was teaching yoga at Machu Picchu every morning at 14,000 feet and thought I would pass out.

7. Carolyn Landry says:

Just in Arizona which is a beautiful state with some awesome views like the ones you were showing us. I really enjoyed the video.

8. paul says:

Tulum in Cancun. It’s fantastic. Thanks for the video guys.

9. Marlene says:

Fascinating video and info, Kevin. The ruins that I have been to is Stonehenge and many other ruins in Europe and most recently, the ruins of Fort Popham, built during the Civil War in 1860 and never finished. The fort sits on the banks of the Kennebec River,in Maine. Modifications were made and the fort used again in the Spanish American War and World War 1.

10. Kathleen Blanc says:

I grew up with the Mandan Indian mounds and village ruins in North Dakota and visited many standing stone circles in Ireland. There is something very sacred about standing in the same place that ancient ones lived and did ceremony.

This video is very beautiful and what a wonder that because you were able to go there, we were too. Thank you so much for bringing this beauty to a wider audience.

11. Your comment was not clear. Did you say this area is up for development? I know the people have been tempted to consider the material riches something to achieve. “La Naturaleza” is not seen with the same eyes as you and I see it Kevin. I am fluent in Spanish and have had lengthy conversations with the local people. They have doubts because they do suffer from hunger. I remember the one time I was in Peru and a woman followed me everywhere shoving a baby boy in my arms begging me, “llevate lo” (take him). I finally did get away and was distressed enough to return to the hotel where I was staying. I mentioned the incident to the workers. They said if she doesn’t find someone to take the baby she will drown it in order not to see him starve to death. I immediately ran back out looking for the lady to offer some financial assistance, but I never found her again. It pains me because I love the country and the people very much. It appears to me that they will willingly give up the raw beauty of the Andes for the disastrous American dream.

12. Yakitah says:

Very Interesting Kevin. Looks like you were\
    a little exhausted on that hike though. You
    were’nt out of shape were you? LOL.

Enjyoyed the view.

Ya.

13. Theresa says:

I’ve done Machupiccu and all the significant Incan ruins around it…

Montezuma’s Castle (built into the side of a cliff)in Arizona is a quick visit but very cool. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Montezuma_Castle_National_Monument

The Scottish island of Iona is beautiful and tranquil. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Iona

Watt Phu in Laos. http://www.watphu.com/

The most amazing ruins I have seen so far are the Angkor temples in Cambodia. Angkor Watt is the most famous but IMHO the most magical temple was Beng Mealea – which was one of the temples they shot Tomb Raider in. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Beng_Mealea

If you ever want to visit any of the places I have mentioned feel free to contact me for travel tips 🙂

14. barbara says:

You’re writting is always wonderful to read, but showing us this beautiful valley, the mountains and the ruins was truly a gift to us.

Breathtaking. Thank you. The beauty of nature is health related to me!

I have never visited any ruins.

15. Theresa says:

I also thought of something else about Asia…I think you and Annmarie would really really enjoy a culinary adventure in Thailand. There are SO many amazing food choices – and there is no such thing as GMO anything there. I would got back to Thailand for the street/market food alone! I felt so energized and nourished while eating their food.

16. Pwest says:

Your question made me realize how much I’ve seen — I’ve seen ruins in France, England, Ireland, Italy and Costa Rica. I’ve also seen some indian dawings in California. The ancient ruins are fascinating and I’m amazed at the ingenuity of the people long ago. Thanks for sharing this with us!

17. Pat says:

I’ve been to the Zimbabwe Ruins – a large round double wall – very high with a compound inside with the ruins of stone houses. The hills around had stone “outposts” high above the valley. In some ways, the are not unsimilar. They are said to date back to the days of Solomon, but that it is presumably a legend that they were part of his gold mining outposts. Zimbabwe does have gold, though.

18. Julie says:

I was born and raised in Wales and so took forgranted the many medieval castles; but when I took my Canadian husband there for a visit, I saw those ruins and their fascinating history through his eyes – the eyes of a tourist and I became a tourist in the country of my birth.

19. Karen says:

This was really fascinating. I don’t plan on going to Peru so it was really cool you shared it with us.

20. O yes! Many people have ruined my days badly, but I forgive them! LoL! But no, that I remember now. But I am so glad you’re finding raw nature so fascinating in Peru. I come from Dominican Republic and there… I seen too little, shame! But I seen Brazil and Argentina cataratas water falls. Living in NY never went to Canada-USA catarats but they tell me you cannot compare them! By the way… is wired that this word cataratas means a person who can see well. Muy ciego, boy! Thank you for the amazing pictures!

21. Sheralee says:

So raw so untouched! Those ruins are awesome! I have seen many of the roman ruins throughout the Middle East and northern Africa as well as Petra, Masada, and Angkor Watt Cambodia and ruins in the UK! Amazing always to feel the energy of the ancients and marvel at how they built these structures! We can but be in awe but to stumble upon some non tourist sites would be truly sacred!

22. The oldest ruins I’ve been to were in Israel dating back to bible times. Very fascinating. I’ve also seen ruins in England and American Indian ruins in Utah, Arizona and New Mexico. I really enjoyed the video. I have a great appreciation for nature in all her beauty.

23. Daralene says:

Loved the video. So special.
    Yes, I have seen ruins in Ireland, England, Germany, France, Denmark, Austria, and Italy (Roman and Etruscan ruins.)

I hope someday you can tell us more about the Quero shamans.

24. Faye says:

Hi Kevin and Annmarie;
    I have been to Mexico and toured the ruins around Progresso in the Yucatan. I am currently living in China and they have so many areas here that have much history. I’ve also seen ruins in England and Scotland. The world has so much to offer us in respect to our ancestors! Thanks for sharing your adventures in Peru!

25. Faye says:

Oh! I forgot to mention I’ve seen the ruins of the Aborigines in Australia while touring there in 2009. They have wonderful art on the stones very similar to what you showed us in your video. I found that interesting. The world is so big and yet so many cultures overlap in many ways.

26. Gabriela says:

Wonderful!! Thank you so much for sharing!

I’ve been to Colonial Spanish ruins in Antigua, Guatemala, as well as some Mayan in Guatemala too 🙂