A Hot Springs Adventure in Peru : The Renegade Health Show Episode #848

Tuesday Jun 21 | BY |

Annmarie and I love hot springs…

So naturally, when were in Peru, we wanted to find at least one (we went to two!) so we could get our bathing fix.

In Peru, the main mountain range is the Andes which are some of the most rugged in the world, so clearly there are some fissures that release hot water.

This trip was a full on adventure, which you’ll see in just a moment – from the beginning of the trip all the way to the end.

Check it out…

Your question of the day: What is the scariest road you’ve ever been on?

1. cid says:

Red Mountain in Colorado, very scary!!!

2. Judy Furie says:

The roads in Bolivia and Peru were definitely scary, but the scariest road I’ve been on was on Carter’s Mountain in Charlottesville, VA. I was there in January several years ago to perform a survey of a radio tower site. My husband came with me. It was a dirt road that passed through an apple orchard part way up the mountain, along with a deserted roadside stand that sells apple products in the summer. The mountain road was icy packed dirt, with no guardrails, and wound back and forth with switchbacks up the mountain.

At the top of the mountain, I looked up at the tower I was surveying, and I couldn’t see the top because of the clouds. Every blade of grass was enclosed in an individual icicle. It was gorgeous and breaktaking!

Then, I got back in our SUV and looked at the precipitous pitch of that icy, winding, dirt road with all the twists and turns. That was terrifying. I looked at my husband and told him that I couldn’t drive back down. It felt like I was falling off the mountain all the way down. It’s a good thing that he’s an Appalachian-American (PC way to refer to a West Virginia good ole boy), and he navigated that road carefully with great ease.

3. nick says:

The road going to nepal from Kashmere India was scary but kinda funny
    too there were many signs around bends that had cliffs just beyond them thousands of feet down that read this turn could be your last! The roads were muddy to and the drivers were always in a rush and thee usually to many people in and on top of the bus!

4. Brenda says:

I think the road to Hana in Maui and parts of Highway 1 in Northern California were challenging for me to drive on.

5. Darilyn says:

From Argentina over to Chile back in the early 70’s. Long tunnels thru the mts and narrow one way roads over them with a Long Drop off should the bus make a mistake, but they were excellent.
    Nice to see your video of how it is today as compared to when I was doing all that back in the early 70’s. Even got lost in the jungle for a day hiking to Machu Pichu (7 days)as there wasn’t all the tourism and guides there are today as I see my friends kids do it. The Panama Highway was mostly cobblestone the first time I went, somewhat paved later as I went to S.A. three times……Fascinating country, people, culture etc. Thanks for sharing your adventures and knowledge.

6. Rebecca Cody says:

I was 16 in 1959 and had only been driving a few months when my family took a trip to Yosemite. Of course, as a teenager, I HAD to drive, and for some reason I can’t remember we came in from the east – over Tioga Pass. It was the skinniest two lane road I’d ever seen, with no guardrails and drop-offs of over 1,000′ on every switchback. Adding to the craziness, every other vehicle I met was a humongous motor home! Yikes! There were no turn-outs, no possibility of changing drivers. I just had to stick it out. I’ve driven many, many mountain roads with confidence since that trial by fear!

7. 12 hours later! I was laughing when that came up…

Nepal was mine…riding on top of a big bus to get us up to our hiking start point…i was shocked how bad the roads were and the bus was LOADED with people. Every single day…gotta love the mountains!

8. Daralene says:

In the Swiss Alps when a friend decided to give me a tour before I moved back to the States. We found out the passes had just opened the day before and then it started to snow. I thought my life was over but I must say, the beauty was breathtaking.

9. Josette says:

Quite a few contenders! Highway 1 in California going South back to San Simeon (on the Pacific side of the road) during a busy holiday week-end then New Zealand in the mountains I don’t remember the road number and places but it was so twisted and narrow and getting dark, but the winner is when I was in a bus in China. At that time it seemed there were no rules on the road (20 years ago) , everyone tried and managed to overtake at the same time on a narrow very busy road, honking away! That was between Sendai and Canton! I think I lost one of my lives there!

10. Lorien says:

scariest road I’ve been on was in Sri Lanka. We went up into the mountains there and the roads are very twisty. They cut up the side of the mountain, back and forth so you look down on the road below you as you climb. There were kids selling flowers and fruit & if you didn’t buy as you went by the first time, they ran up the slope to the road above and tried again. They did this a few times before giving up. Those kids must be in great shape, they always beat the car to the next level. At one point the road had been washed away and you had to cross a VERY narrow place with nothing on either side.

11. Dee says:

The road that takes you in and out of Monument Valley in Arizona.

12. Jen says:

Definitely the road to Hana in Maui.

13. Carolyn Landry says:

For me it is the Apache Trail in the Superstition Mountains in Arizona.

14. Laura Kirk says:

The Wal-Mart parking lot! 🙂

15. Velda says:

The road to Hana in Maui … and it wasn’t even all “that” bad.

16. Jane says:

The road to the top(& back down)of Haleakala Volcano(14,-15,000 ft)in Maui; short spinal around the mountain with cliff on the edge, very narrow 2 way traffic, clouds/frog in late evening! Was exhausted after more then 2 hrs drive coming down.

17. Suzan says:

I grew up riding with my Daddy driving every logging road in Idaho. We got a lot of deer, elk and moose off those winding dirt tracks. I was too young to be afraid.

18. Elo says:

Ride to the sun in Montana.

19. roni says:

a few years ago, I lived in Uvita Costa Rica, up a road of red clay mud, with drop offs on both sides in many places. Full time 4WD. In rainy season, a pile of slushy mud. One day my car slipped off, and one side was mired in about a foot of mud. The driver’s side wheels were both about a foot up in the air. On the other side of the mud pile, a 30 foot drop, with few trees to stop a rolling vehicle. I needed a backhoe to get me out of there. I don’t live there anymore.

20. suz says:

A steep, curvy mountain road on one of the Greek Islands where only donkeys travel. I was riding on a donkey who constantly hugged the edge of the winding, twisting road and one small misstep could have been a sheer drop down to the bottom. I screamed all the way, while the donkey was cool and calm.

21. AlanRoy says:

The “Oh My God” Road, the back road out of Central City over to Idaho Springs, Colorado. It’s been replaced by a modern road since the gambling casinos took over Central City.

22. Jeni says:

Hi Kev

My scariest road trip was going to the top the main Fijian island. There was a cheap travellers hostel up there amoungst the rain forest and little river.
    The 4×4 was used the for locals to get their bananas/to town and back up to their homeland areas.
    The driver had 2 gear stick systems one for the road and one for off road.

We slide back several time,s never thought I was going to get to the top and wondered what the hell have I let myself in for – as it was the end of their rainy apparently.

The following day when he came to get me he had slide down 4 times before eventually getting to the hostel. My lump in the throad appeared again!! but had to get down to get the plane trip onto NZ.! ((Really imagined my self in the getting stuck in the local hospital))

23. Liz Zambrano says:

Hi! I was born in Peru, but I have lived in Florida for over 35 years.
    I remember when i was about 12 years old, my mother always complain about the pain in her hands and other parts of her body, remember she was diagnostic with some type of arthiris, i think it was remautodid.
    She told me that she when to a hot springs name ” Churin” I remembering traveling by car, so it must be close to Lima, were we live, and she was cure. Have you ever heard of this place?? If you have. Do you have more info ??
    Please let me know, because I will like to go, since now I am suffering from pains all over my body, joints and mucles but do no want to take medication. I have gone to several Remautologist, but they really have not give a diagnostic, even when I have taken so many tests, one of them told me I have PMR (Poly Myalgia Reumatic) but they really don’t have an answer. would prefer to be cure natually.