In Peru, Everyone Goes to the Juice Bar : The Renegade Health Show Episode #847

Monday Jun 20 | BY |

Well, maybe not everyone, but let me tell you – there are more people in Peru who go to juice bars or smoothie places than there are in the U.S.

Today, I want to show you a video of where you can find a juice in just about any Peruvian town.

(This is the first of about 10 or so videos from Peru, so enjoy!)

Your question of the day: Which juice would you order here?

1. oreganol says:

There have lots of similar juice bars in Thailand. And the drink are cheap, not ridiculously priced like back in the UK.

2. Wendy says:

Beer in a smoothie! Who’da thunk it??

3. Cindy says:

One of my favorites is a combination of carrot, beet, apple, celery, parsley, & spinach. It tastes really good.

4. Nadia Harper says:

Whenever I travel or live in the tropics there are always lots of places to get fresh fruit juices and smoothies. And usually very inexpensive. Even if they don’t speak English it is easy to point to the fruits you want and I have always found the juice vendors to be very friendly and eager to give me what I want.

If I was at this juice bar I would have ordered banana, pineapple and fresh aloe…YUM!

5. Nomi says:

Well there they are making a living with an older Oster and a something or other juicer. So no need to complain about what we have have at home anymore, eh? Maybe it would change someones world, Kevin, if they were gifted with a ktec or a Vita Mix; or maybe it would blow out the electricity in the entire region.
    I would love to know the history of how it came to be that juicing is part of their diet. Did they at one time mash up the fruits to get the juices…and then along came the blender?
    Living in San Diego i have some good friends who are Mexican with a lot if Indian in them…they don’g get gray and their diets suck big time. They think a blender is just grand for grinding up rice, adding a ton of condensed milk and or sugar and cinnamon (Horchata) and calling it
    a. raw
    b. healthy

Gotta love it. Hugs n

6. Candice says:

Anything with papaya sounds good to me. Wouldn’t it be awesome if we had juice bars on every corner here in the States? And by that I mean AFFORDABLE juice bars. For now, I’ll have to settle for juicing in my own kitchen, but a girl can dream.

7. Josie says:

I don’t want to be a nay-sayer, but I just got back from Peru – Cusco, Sacred Valley, Inca Trail (hiked it over 4 days) and Machu Picchu. I never saw a juice bar. We ate all of the local fruits and veggies (cooked, except for those that need peeling), and grains, especially quinoa and Peruvian potatoes (unlike our American over-cultivated). It was an exhilarating experience that anyone who has the desire to try must do…

• Kevin Gianni Kevin Gianni says:

Josie, you must not have been to any of the markets. Cusco, Urubamba, Calca, Ollantaytambo and others all have markets with these juice bars. Next time you go, ask the guide to you show you them. They’re everywhere… 🙂

8. Ulises says:

Nice video! Peruvians people are great.But please i would like you visit Argentina.Nowadays health movmentn its getting bigger and interesting.You will really enjoy it.
    I hope someday Annmarie you visit our amazing country.
    Hugs from Buenos Aires.

9. that was great…i think to be a proper explorer I would try the especial!!

Otherwise…greens, cukes, lemon, celery, ginger.

Bali was so much better than Thailand for good juice…just remember to ask for NO SUGAR! hehe they would put it in carrot juice if you forgot to ask! Hong Kong is another good one…a 16oz juice going for about $1.50 or so…

great stuff guys you rock!

10. Jon Payne says:

Awesome, I’m off to Peru in 2 weeks and I’m reviewing all your info for things/places/food. Thanks Kevin!
    Jon

11. Gini says:

I spent 2 to 3 months each year from 1983 until 1991 traveling all over Mexico, mostly in the non-tourist places. All the markets in every city and little village have juice bars. You can get fresh squeezed orange juice, carrot juice, strawberry, papaya, you name it. My favorite is plain carrot juice. Also fresh fruit shakes/smoothies. The diet in Mexico is very good and includes lots of fresh fruits and vegetables. It must be the Mexicans here in North America that have the poor diets that Nomi was referring to in her comment.

12. Jessic a says:

I would order the Papaya or Leeche. When I was in Thailand a few years ago they had these literally on every block. I had young coconut every morning for 3 weeks. Yum!

13. snowmoonelk says:

Hmmm, I think I would try aubergine juice! (eggplant)

14. Sue says:

I would try something that would be with fruits or veggies that I don’t use at home! Although I not a beer drinker, that special drink sounds different enough that I’d try it!

15. Daralene says:

Yay, here’s to the Peruvians!! Thanks so much for exposing us to this small town that was enroute and not even a planned stop. To think they offer all these great fresh drinks. I remember being excited after moving back from Germany to find fruit smoothie stands even in the airports only to take a swallow and find out it was syrup and so sugary. I now juice at home. I would have tried something with aloe in it. Although if the fruit is washed with water or even not washed I would have been afraid. Here’s to you both for going for it. Love you both…

16. rachel says:

Went to Belize about 8 years ago. Had a challenging time with the heat/humidity.
    Did not find a juice bar, but the locals had a place that made mango smoothie type drinks.
    Sadly, they apparently put canned milk in them, but I was sooo thirsty for something cold I drank at least one of them a day. A juice would have been much better (with greens, cucumber,
    carrot and apple) namaste’, rachel

17. roni says:

that weird looking thing you could not identify is a chayote. In the squash family, is a vine that grows above ground, often suspended in the air. It tastes pretty bland, but if peeled, sliced and dehydrated, sprinkled with a little tamari, has a nice sweetness. never tried it in a juice, not sure I’d want to.

Here in Costa Rica, lots of places offer carrot with orange. Its pretty good, but my first choice would be papaya with pineapple and a squeeze of lemon, which is how I often start my day.

18. Diane says:

I got a mango smoothie/juice once (cheap) .. it was in Israel, Egypt or Jordan .. I can’t remember. Delicious on a hot day when I was quite thirsty.

19. In louisiana, we call Chayotes “mirlitons” pronounced mer-le-tawns (french) and we make them in a casserole. The typical dish does contain meat, but I have vegan-ized it with no meat and other yummy veggies. Delicious!

I am jealous of those of you who live in places where smoothies (without milk) are affordable. Here in the high country of CO, fresh organic fruit is not cheap. It’s my favorite thing when traveling to tropical places!

20. Nihacc says:

I would like to try all of them!!