7 Healthy Things You Can Do In Less Than a Minute: Exclusive Renegade Health Article

Saturday Jun 18 | BY |

aromatherapy-for-emotional-health
Stop and smell the flowers, they could make you smarter, calmer and healthier.

I know it’s a pretty bold claim, but is it possible there are 7 things you could do right now – as you’re reading this – to make you healthier than you were just a few minutes before?

The truth is, there are more than two dozen things that can stimulate your mind, body and emotional state in seconds, so it’s entirely possible that they could have a positive effect on your health as well.

Good news, is that if you just incorporate one or two of them into a daily routine (or even in to your “right now” routine), you will at the least feel better, and at the most, change your physical and mental state. Sound good?

It’s a take action world, are you in or out?

Let’s do something about it…

1. Get a glass of water.

I’ve read statistics that say anywhere from 60-80% of people are chronically dehydrated. That’s a pretty staggering number.

What this means is that 3-4 out of 5 people who are reading this now didn’t drink enough liquid today. What this also means is that chances are if you’re not chronically dehydrated, you may be right now regardless of how diligent you are about drinking or eating water-rich foods.

Your body is about 70% water, so you can imagine the effect drinking a bit will have on your entire system. It can improve mood, make your skin shine, relieve pain, alleviate constipation, improve digestion and hundreds of other things.

So…

Drinking a glass of water or herbal tea – right now – will most likely give you the water you need to get your body functioning more efficiently on all levels.

2. Give yourself an eye socket massage.

Not as ordinary as the first tip, but it’s pretty effective on a few levels.

The muscles around your eyes can hold a lot of tension. This area is also a place where applying pressure can open up your sinuses as well. Loosening tension in the area and giving your sinuses a massage can help you breathe better, calm and relax your facial muscles and give you an over feeling of tranquility.

I don’t know about you, but that sounds pretty good.

To do this, just take two fingers and rub around the eye socket. Apply as much pressure as you can tolerate comfortably. When you’ve gone around the socket a few times, keep going in circles and radiate outward. Stop and apply pressure to the areas that feel like they need it most.

While you’re doing this, make sure you…

3. Take a deep breath.

This universal tip can be a part of all of these or one on it’s own.

I don’t need to tell you how important air is – you probably already know.

What I do need to tell you is that I bet while you’re reading this, you may not be breathing comfortably due to posture, stress or whatever else is on your mind.

So right now, stand up (or sit up straight) and take a deep belly breath. Pull in as much air into your gut as possible hold for 2-3 seconds or as long as it’s comfortable, then let it go. Do this at least 3 times.

Enjoy the buzz. This will recharge your brain, blood and mind.

4. Twist again.

About 7-8 years ago, I was taught an exercise called the Tai-Chi Twist. Very simply, you stand up with feet shoulder width apart and turn your body into one of those Asian drums that every had at the last scene of the Karate Kid movie.

You know what I’m talking about. You twist one way, allowing your arms to swing and hit your body – one on the chest, the other around the kidney. Then you swing back the other way. Back and forth (not so fast, not so slow), allowing your spine to twist and your mind go free.

This twisting action (and human percussion) will open up the nervous system stemming from your spine to help you be more attentive and sharp. It will also help bring flexibility, blood and fluid to your back which can help alleviate discomfort and some pain. It also can bring attention and blood to your chest and kidney meridians.

So this for 20-30 seconds while breathing normally. If you do it once, you’ll want to do it again!

5. Smell a flower, orange peel or herb.

It’s likely you have one of these items around your right now.

So right now, I want you to grab one (or all three) of these things and give it a good, strong whiff.

Why?

There has been plenty of research on the effects of aroma therapy on the body and overall health, so just by smelling something you like, you can improve your mood, your emotional state, and in some cases your physical health.

Smells that you are familiar with – or completely common to you – may have therapeutic effects as well. Lavender is calming, citrus is energizing, and mints are awakening (and sinus clearing.)

If you don’t have something fresh, go out to the health food store and get an essential oil that makes you happy.

I use a blend of citrus and mint oils before I do any lecture to get my sinuses clear and my mind sharp.

6. Pound your thymus.

In Step 2, I talked about massaging the area around your eyes to relieve stress and sinus pressure. In Step 4, I gave you the Tai-Chi twist to help open the spine and bring blood to the kidneys.

In this step, I want you to simply tap or pound your thymus to help stimulate your immune system.

The thymus is an endocrine gland that is below your breast bone. It helps to regulate immune system function, in particular white blood cell regulation. In today’s state of health, we all could probably use a little thymus boost – or better yet, an extra one.

To give this gland a little energy, attention and love, all you need to do is take 3 fingers (or a fist) and pound the area just above your breast bone. Do it 10-15-20 times, give it a rest and start again in 30 seconds or so.

You may not feel the direct effects of this exercise, but any time you manually stimute and organ like this you increase the chances of it waking up a bit to do it’s job a little better.

7. Turn off your computer.

LOL.

It doesn’t bode well for Renegade Health traffic, but I can almost guarantee if you’re reading this, you’ve spent way too much time on the computer the last week.

Internet use can create stress, take you away from your family and friends and cause you to sit for way too long – all these can be a burden on your body, your mind and your sanity.

Why don’t you treat yourself from a little vacation from the WWW and shut down for the rest of the day?

You could go outside, walk in the park with your shoes off, or go for a hike.

I promise you’ll be happy you did and it’s completely more natural than what you or I am doing right now…

I want to know your thoughts: What quick health tips just like this do you have to share?

1. Kevin – Would you please consider doing a video demo of the Tai Chi Twist for the visual learners? Thank you and may God richly bless you and Annmarie!

2. casey says:

Definitely guilty on the computer part..

3. Jo says:

I have used all of these at one time or another and found them really beneficial. Thanks for the reminder!

4. Nomi says:

Eye socketed, thymus rocketed, kidney and chest pounded, breathing, smelling good things now I’m going go thymus tap Rocky the Dog. All good things.

5. Nancy says:

Thank you, Kevin, for these tips!

6. Yvonne says:

Great tips Kevin. I did them all and will try to remember to do them more often. I used to pound my thymus everyday when I was rebounding and for some reason stopped doing it. Thanks for the reminder! I really enjoy and get a lot of beneficial information from you and Annemarie. Blessings to you both!

7. You do a good job of informing and being more and more open, more and more equipped to offer helpful information on health. The thymus is in back of or posterior to the sternum or breast bone. ‘Below’ might be confusing. So turn off your computer, drink water, breath deep, smell the roses, massage yur eyes. gently rotate your spine, and pound your chest like a gorilla and scream like Tarzan. “I love you universe”. He was hard to understand, like the band Iron Butterfly’s song Inagadadavida, he was really saying In the garden of Eden but was a little to stoned.
    Blessings
    Anthony

8. jamie says:

so which is it? above or below the breast bone?

9. Sue says:

Get up and stretch! Sometimes we get too comfortable just sitting, so get up and move about! When I’m tense, I find that a hand shaking helps–clench each fist tightly, then quickly spread all your fingers out wide, now vigorously flap your hands about. Repeat as needed.

10. Kathleen Blanc says:

I totally agree that there are MANY quick and FREE things to do in the moment that will help us ground and be more comfortably in our bodies. Our medical model culture has helped us to feel that if it doesn’t cost LOTS of money and involve struggle and have a diagnosis, it isn’t going to get us well. I have found this to be very wrong for me. In fact, it is the small vigilante shifts that I make myself consisitently aware of in my day to days that really shift the big issues sometimes. It is called claiming my power to heal myself. Our bodies are so very intelligent when we love them, treat them with respect and feed them well.

11. Kuru says:

Reach for the sky! Streeeetch both hands way up, then one side, then the other, all the way down out of your low back.

Add frankincense oil to the eye socket massage for clearer vision instantly (or long term if you have an issue). Keep away from the eye itself!

I’ve heard the thymus likes waltz tempo. Truly. 🙂

12. Bees says:

Since we’re all ignoring #7, how about…
    #7b Sit up, spine straight, chin up, engage lats very very slightly and depress your shoulder blades to pull shoulders out of ears while we type.

13. Vera Kho says:

Simple and great tips!

Concerning the thymus gland, I just learned from another site the following:
    Thump on the center of your chest in 3 sets of 3 while saying, “ha ha ha, ha ha ha, ha ha ha”

It’s supposed to activate the heart chakra, & if you continue thumping (after the 9 thumps) you may burst out laughing.

14. wendy says:

I find I feel better if I get up at 5 a.m. and go to bed at 9 p.m..
    Yes, I do the water thing, with the juice of a lemon in 2 Ls, I don’t eat after 6pm normally, I take the dogs for off leash walks in the country, sleep with windows open, and sing.

15. Chris Hammond says:

Place two bare feet on the Earth Look up towards the Sky Smile, say thank you for everything, I have no complaints. Call the first person you think of and say Wow, can you believe the Earths magnetic shield is still holding all the air we need to breath every second for us. I love this place. What a great awesome planet. Lets do everything we can to keep this great experiment rolling onward**

16. I love to smell an orange peel! I eat oranges at my desk at work almost every day (usually 3 oranges during my 9-5 workday) and I do believe that I am giving my office neighbours pleasure because they always walk by and say, “Mmm, who’s eating oranges??” in a happy tone.

Great 1-minute tips! I should like to try that tai-chi twist.

17. Dr. D. says:

Awesome tips! I would add a short stretching session in between computer use. Sometimes a good stretch is the best thing to lengthen muscles and destress 🙂

Dr. D.

18. All fabulous ideas! I so appreciate you and the community you are creating. Yay Kevin!

19. Gail says:

I (have Fibromyalgia), and so I regularly lift my arms straight out to the sides pulling them slightly back to feel a bit of stretch in my back, too. Of course, to me, it feels as if I’m lifting 100 pounds, it’s so heavy, but it also feels soooo good. I also try to do the circles, like they used to make you do in PE, remember? And then lift them straight up to the sky, elbows tight, and each time holding as long as I can.

I also like to do eye exercises – look as far to the left; right; up, down, and feel the pull.
    The two minute ‘health bounce’ on the rebounder.
    Thanks for all the reminders, especially the breathing one.

20. judy says:

below the breast bone….. above the brear bone….u n c l e a r…..

21. Greg says:

Thank you for the great tips! I’ll copy the list and put them in front of me on the wall!

22. Annie says:

Great tips! Thanks Kevin and Ann Marie !
    I love to keep a bottle of peppermint oil close by and deep breathe a whiff every now and then. Great for headaches, rub a little on your temples, Mmmmmmmmmm