Facial Exercises to Eliminate Wrinkles (Organic Skin Care Week) : The Renegade Health Show Episode #841

Friday Jun 10, 2011 | BY |

Now that Annmarie has given you some awesome ideas to help with acne prone, dry, or oily skin, today she’s going to give you some facial exercises that you can do to help eliminate wrinkles.

I have to admit, the exercises really are silly, but some of the most beautiful, wrinkle-free women we know do them regularly.

These will help reduce crow’s feet, forehead wrinkles and a sagging neck.

Your question of the day: Do you do any facial exercises for your face? If so, let us know what you do!

Of course, if you want to try any of the products Annmarie is talking about, you can find them here: Buy Annmarie Gianni Skin Care

1. Susan Achard says:

Great video! I have been doing the “Facercise” program by Carole Maggio with a lot of success. I’m pushing 46 and people tell me I could pass for early 30s.

2. Kristine says:

Yes, I do facial exercises regularly. I don’t think they eliminate wrinkles, but they do help you keep from sagging which is good! My favorite beauty tip are frownies. 20 years ago I complained to my dermatologist that I was getting an ugly line between my eyebrows like my brother’s. She said to try frownies which is basically a piece of thick paper which you stick on your skin to keep you from frowning while you sleep. It works. I have no line. I still use frownies often. And you don’t have to use it every night. You are just retraining your face not to be frowning/squinting all the time.

3. Velda says:

Great video Annmarie. I used to do facial exercises, but don’t any more. I’ve never done the ones you just demonstrated, but will start. I don’t have so much of a double chin, but I have “jowels”. I’m 63 and that kind of runs in my family. I hate them and would like to get rid of them. Thanks for the exercises – and you did not look silly.

4. Julia says:

Yes, I do facercise and facial acupressure, as well as “chi rubs” following chi gong practice. I think they help, but so does lots of sleep and less tension/stress in life. But I do think the exercises reduce stress – after all our faces were relaxed as children….

5. Linda says:

Looks like you used a gentle pressure, not really moving skin much. Is that correct?

6. Melanie says:

awesome video Anna Marie! I do Facial exercises taught by Tonya Zavasta through her book, Rawsome Flex. Her book helped me develop a daily routine so that working my facial muscles is simply a part of my day.

7. Debi says:

I’ve been exercising my face for more than ten years using a combination of exercises from the ‘”FlexEffect” Facial Resistance Training Program’ and from the old “Face Lifting by Exercise” book by Senta Maria Runge. Most people still think I’m in my late 30s or early 40s. I’m in my late 50s!! Everything I do is 100% natural and I don’t need make-up. I only use organic coconut oil and olive oil on my skin. My skin looks like a young girl’s–firm and moist.

8. Doris Dejwakh says:

Thanks, Kevin! I really would like to know the exercises and, as always, here in China we can’t access Youtube for your videos. Any way you could put them on one of the Chinese video sites? Or describe them in words on the site? Right now I’m 61 and my wrinkles have wrinkles of their own! (LOL!) Always good to hear from you anyway!

9. denise says:

not until now!! but im starting rigth now!! thanks LOT!!!

10. wendy green says:

real nice annmarie! i do yoga facial exercises…similar but different. lot’s of yoga neck exercises. i like these and will start using them. thanks

11. Great tips Anne Marie! I’ve played with facial exercises from the late Jack LaLanne and some facial yoga, but I’ve not gotten into the habit of doing anything consistently. You’ve motivated me to get a little more serious about it.

12. SAMMY says:

You are so cute ! Now I know why … thanks for sharing !

13. SAMMY says:

Of course good veggies help too !

14. Carrie says:

Great video! I do mostly FlexEffect, http://www.flex.effect.com, which is a resistance training program. I’ve been doing it for 2.5 years, and I LOVE IT! I also own Facercise, The Facial Workout, Facelifting By Exercise, Rawesome Flex, and Ageless If You Dare. So yes, I’m a facial exercise junkie ;). But my favorite program by far is FlexEffect, as I get the best results from it and it is the most comprehensive program out of all facial exercise programs out there.

15. Hope says:

Thanks Kevin and Annmarie. Great video. Thanks for sharing. I’ll add them to my facial exercises.
    Hope

16. Karen Toth says:

I lie with my eyes sinking into the eye sockets.
    It relaxes all the muscles around my eyes and face.

17. Marlene Denny says:

I’m 62 and an exercise I have been doing for the past 30 years seems to be working to keep my neck looking great. First tilt the head back so that you can look straight up at the ceiling–keep your mouth open as you lean back and jut the jaw a little. Then slowly contract the chin muscles pushing the lower lip over the upper lip as you attempt to close your mouth. I do this several times a day. In addition to that exercise, another that addresses the same area of the neck and minimizes jowls is this one– do the lips over the teeth while smiling and hold that position. At the same time contract the muscles in the neck and hold for a count of three…repeat several times. When you first do this exercise start with just a few reps as you can overdo it very easily and develop a soreness, which generally discourages continuation of the exercise. This one actually firms the neckline to the bustline. Both can be done several times a day and they really work well. The results seem to vary more with the strength of the contractions than the number of reps.

18. Anne Marie-
    Years ago I saw a pamphlet on acupressure points on the face and with light pressure, one finger, you press and massage circularly to the right for 30 secs or so (this was years ago….) on individual pressure points. I still find myself doing these. I recall the ‘face map’ had points around the eye-but under the brow, and on the cheekbone. You can feel a point, if it needs this…I enjoyed yours. I also have skin damage from the sun (bad) and I would recommend coconut oil or one of your skin oils before massaging, rubbing etc..just a thought! You looked so wonderful, healthy and poised-but nice and sweet-refreshing. Thanks for the info!

19. Faye says:

Hello Annmarie, I don’t think you look that silly when knowing what you’re doing it for. :-)
    As Marlene Denny mentioned above, I have done the same exercises she mentioned and to them whenever I sit on the toilet. :> This could be several times a day and gets one into the habit and you also have your privacy. I am also in China, but bought a VPN which allows me to watch your youtube shows which I appreciate a lot!

20. Anna says:

Oh please Ann Marie, you look gorgeous even when making silly faces! Thanks for the tips.

21. oreganol says:

I’ll add these to my ever-growing daily routine. LOL.

22. Paula says:

Do you think these could reverse an already saggy neck and jowls? I’m 58 and considering cosmetic surgery. I bought the Carol Maggio tapes a long time ago but got lazy and didn’t have faith that they would work.

23. Evelyn says:

I have been doing an exercise that I think has helped with the under the eye area. Looking at a mirror, tighten and lift the muscles under your eye. It is like little pushups of the lower part of your face and your eyes will squint a little because of the lift but stay focused on the below the eye area and don’t actually try to squint. You don’t want to activate the crows feet area. Evelyn

24. Sue says:

Thank you so much for the chin exercises. After losing my double chin I was left with the drooping skin there. I have been body brushing (the only thing I knew to do), which has helped some. Now I have additional things to try which will improve all of that!

25. Facial massage makes *total* sense… If we want to keep our bodies firm and youthful looking we exercise them… So why not exercise the face too??

I have never tried this, but I am thinking that I should!

You are so cute doing these exercise, BTW. “Funny face” :)

26. yes, I need to work lower jaw and neck area so with my head leaned back I exaggerate the vowels (a e i o u)and stretch the muscles, should be a little sore the next day, a reminder to do it again!

27. Lee Morrow says:

I did a face exercise where you tighten your lower jaw with lower lip tight too, and teeth about 1/2″ apart. While everything is tight, lower your jaw and bring it back up slowly keeping it tight. You’ll feel the muscles in your jaw and front of neck under the chin.
    I was watching tv one day and my cat was sleeping in my lap. I decided to do this exercise. While I was grimacing with my jaw and lower teeth sticking out, my cat looked up at me, frizzled and left skid marks on my legs as he “got out of there”. Guess you must look really scary doing this.

28. Kristin says:

I’ve been doing two or three of Tonya’s Flex facial exercises for about 9 months. I think they are helping prevent any new sagging (I’m 61). People tell me I have nice skin and don’t look my age.I like the ones you’ve shared and will incorporate them into my semi-routine. If you read these comments Anne Marie , do you know it there is any exercises that can tighten up sagging skin on upper arms and tummy?? Thanks! Kristin

29. Annamarie,thank you for posting this video with the facial exercises! Me gustaron tus moriquetas. Ja! Tambien veo que eres un poquito penosa. Not like your bubily husband.
    Yo tambien hago por años… estos ejercicios faciales que Linsey Wagner sugiere. I wonder how she looks today! Ayuda hacerlos estoy muy segura, porque tengo 77 años y con “pocas arrugas en mi cara.” Cuando me dicen eso yo contesto: estan escondidas por todas partes… ja!
    Hey when you come back… Esther my daughter (the young lady who recognized you in the Farmers Market near by of our apartment) we have to get together and talk. Kevin included, that way he can practice his spanish with me.
    Meantime, happy trails in Peru! Aida

30. Lori says:

Very good information. Always appreciate everyone commenting. Jack Lalanne did facial exercise and you can watch them on youtube. As my dad always tells me “The most beautiful part of a woman is her smile and attitude”. Have a blessed day – thanks again.

31. Nowell says:

Victoria Boutenko has a jaw exerciser she sells on her web page (or did).

32. Sue Jones says:

Hi,
    I have an exercise that I have been doing since I was 22. I am now 71 and still don’t have a double chin.
    You pull your lips together as if you are going to blow out a match, then you say Oooh, you then pull back your lips until you have a tight grin, and say Eee.
    If you are doing it right, the tendons, along the side of your neck will buldge and pull tight, as well as the muscles on your upper chest, which will keep the skin firm and not flabby.
    You need to do it at least 50 times a day. Start off with as many as you can handle, then do more each day. In the beginning your muscles will be sore, but believe me it is well worth the effort.

33. many thanks, i’ll look younger!!

34. Pam says:

Great Job, AnnMarie! Don’t worry about making “funny faces” – you are beautiful, and are helping others! Thank you!

35. Maria Shere says:

I use the Chinese Acupuncture Facelift technique as taught by Drs. Ming Ming and David Molony. I find that by working those points, my vision improves a bit and my sinuses get relief. So these exercises that you have just taught us will undoubtedly also have effects beyond the visual. Thank you for sharing them. My face feels gently warmed and relaxed now! These exercises will nicely complement the ones I already do.

36. Jasmine says:

wow, one of the top 5 videos renegade health has posted yet! Thank you! I just bookmarked this page.

37. Jayvanthy says:

Yoga has a Mudra called the ” Lion Mudra”. Open your mouth wide. get the tongue out. till the tip touches the chin. Let the chin touch the hollow in the neck.Gaze to be at the mid poit between the eyebrows. Hold for a while as you take slow long deep breaths. Realease. Repeat 4 to 7 times. its excellent for the lower part of the face, the jaw & neck

38. Nadia Harper says:

These are great. Another great thing to do everyday is inversions. Like Annemarie said we have gravity working against us all day long. But by being inverted (headstands, handstands, slant boards etc.) you can take a break from gravity pulling down on things and instead have gravity pull ‘up’ on things.

Inversions are also great to encourage blood flow to our face and head thereby bringing oxygen and nutrients to those areas.

39. Shanon says:

Does anyone have an excercise for laugh lines? Mine are getting deeper by the minute, and I feel my cheeks are sagging a little too. These exercises look great though!

40. Nancy says:

I have just bought a book called Facial Fitness by Patricia Goraway. I just started so I do not know if it will be helpful. I am 55 so I hope it is not too late!
    A while ago I watched you make the fruit leather (banana, blueberry) and wrote down the recipe. There was supposed to be another post on what you were going to fill it with. I don’t know if I somehow missed it or it was not posted. Can you tell me how to find that post .
    thanks,
    Nancy
    PS. Ann Marie you are sooooooooo cute!!!!

41. Gen says:

Thanks AnnMarie. You’re a great sport! Thanks also to the others who have shared their tips here. I like the Oooo – Eeee one as suggested by Sue Jones — can do it anywhere.

42. Marissa says:

I saw this facial exercise on an infomercial! Take your first two fingers and and rest them right under your eyebrow and pull them up pushing your eyebrows up. Hold that position for 5-10 seconds and release. Follow that down from the arch to the tip, 5-10 seconds each section. Another one is to take a deep breath and on an exhale open your mouth as wide as it goes and stick out your tongue as far as it will go. Repeat 5 times.

43. Martie B says:

I have very sensitive skin which responds well to the healing properties of only a few organic skincare lines. Because I insist on organic and paraben-free products, I used Made from Earth’s Vitamin Enhanced Moisturizer (as a face cream) and their Vitamin Enhanced Face Firming Serum (only in areas where I have wrinkles). It is the best for my money and is my all-time favorite moisturizer for both night and day use.

My 75 year-old mother swears by this brand for her beautiful flawless skin that doesn’t look a day over 50.

44. marina says:

my friend told me about “oil pulling” for detoxing and tightening jaw line. I didn’t like it thought, due to having to swish oil in the mouth for a long period of time, but it forces you to majorly contract the lower face, jaw, and neck muscles, and some swear by this method. Thx for the video!

45. Carina says:

I do Carolyn’s Facial Fitness, which I love, it gives a very natural, fresh, revived look to the skin and eliminates wrinkles. Carolyn’s facial fitness cannot be beat!

I’ve tried facercise which is decent but did not address my forehead sufficiently. So I chose to explore more options.

Then I also tried flex effect which I did not like as for two days after training my face would be all puffy and irritated. I noticed after a few months that it changed the look of my face as it is all based on resistance training, which means making your face muscles bigger, it made my face look fat even though I have a slim face so I do not recommend it. I noted that in the videos the women demonstrating also look rather heavy. I think you need to do light resistance work but not too much, toning is just as important!

I have heard good things about Eva Fraser’s program too and apparently she gives amazing lessons, for an 80 year old she sure looks fab there is no doubt!

The best way to evaluate a program is look at the site, look at the before or the early pictures of the founder and then look them up on youtube and try to find their latest video to see their current face in action. If it still looks more or less the same as when they were young (of course you can’t entirely escape ageing), but if you feel they have aged gracefully and retained the same nice bone structure and that they do not look stiff, muscular, fat, bizarre etc this is pretty much a guarantee their system is a good one. Lots of companies also have a few free exercises online which they demonstrate in videos where you can see how they look.

This is what convinced me to start Carolyn’s facial fitness as Carolyn always looks great.