Natural Solutions for Acne (Organic Skin Care Week) : The Renegade Health Show Episode #840

Thursday Jun 9 | BY |

This topic is close to home for me…

I had acne when I was in high school and also had a re-occurrence over the last three-four years.

It’s not fun, but with Ann’s help, I’ve been able to work externally on my acne, while I focused on what I needed to do internally as well.

In this Organic Skin Care Week, Annmarie gives some great tips on how to deal with acne naturally.

Your question of the day: When was the last time you treated yourself to a facial?

Of course, if you want to try any of the products Annmarie is talking about, you can find them here: Buy Annmarie Gianni Skin Care

1. oreganol says:

Years ago, but I have been using a bit of oil of oregano on my face lately, as I seem to have developed a slight shaving rash.

2. Marie1225 says:

I had a facial 3 weeks ago 🙂

3. Nikki K says:

THANKS! Ann Marie, for all of the Great info.

I recently read an article by Dr. Mercola citing that IODINE can cause acne. I tend to still have a bit of HYPO-thyroidism and have found that when I am breaking out with acne and haven’t really added anything new to my diet, that if I TAKE some Iodine in the form of Kelp (tabs or dried seaweed), or Iodine supplements, that it actually HELPS my acne.

Do you (or any readers) have any pro or con experiences with Iodine and acne ?

THANK YOU !
    & GOD BLESS!

Nikki K.

PEACE & LOVE !

4. rachel says:

I treat myself to a homemade facial a few nights a week. My favorite is Manuka honey 20+ umf. Awesome for skin 😀

5. LuvLife says:

i use this stuff called nature’s aid which has made extremely noticeable improvements.

6. Sarah says:

Nice presentation! Your products sound awesome! I regularly get facials and pedicures. I don’t think of these as luxuries, but as necessities. I probably get pedicures from a professional more than I do facials because I can do my own facials. By coincidence, Donna Gates of The Body Ecology Diet has a current article on facials on her web site:
    She talks about using coconut meat from young coconuts, which has been ground up and had kefir grains added to it to ferment it and then taking this internally AND externally. She says the probiotics (you can take as supplements or get through fermented foods as you said, Annmarie)really help with acne.

7. Great tips, thank you Kevin! I have found doing at least 4 cleanses a year help me maintain a good complexion…this is great.

Steve Prussack

8. Velda says:

Been a couple of years since I had a facial. About 8 years ago my youngest son had really bad acne. Fortunately, he did not want to go on an antibiotic, but he was treating with Stridex (I think that’s what it is called), or something like that, externally. He came to me and asked if I could help with his acne naturally. He changed his diet some, and I also bought him some supplements, but I don’t remember what they were. I do remember that one was to help increase liver function. I also got him to stop using the harsh chemicals on his face. His acne cleared up and he was a happy young lad 🙂 So glad he decided to ask for guidance from his ole’ Mom and not take the antibiotics. When I was growing up I didn’t have much problem with acne, however, so have never had to deal with it much myself. However, 2 of my sons had it pretty bad. One chose the antibiotics 🙁 Thanks, Annmarie for such a great presentation. Your skin care line is wonderful!!! I’ve tried it.

9. Stephen says:

Best treatment I have seen for acne on a 40 year old who had it all his lfe was Fossil Shell Flour,a teaspoon a day in water or juice internally. Started clearing within 2 days and gone in a week,but dose had to be continued as it works by cleaning up the blood as well as killing worms and prasites and detoxing heaving metals same way as Zeolite. In New Zealand cost $15 for 6 month supply.
    Luv your shows and the catcalls.

10. Paula says:

Never. Partly because I do see it as a luxury item but also in the past I have always had bad acne and felt I would be more comfortable getting a facial if I didn’t have the acne. After watching your video and now having clearer skin, thanks to giving up meats and dairy, I will check out local places and schedule a facial.

11. Nadia Harper says:

I usually give myself facials at home all the time.. but it has been a while. Sounds like a good plan for today, smile. You are so right about the skin being an indicator of what is going on on the inside. I love making my own facial clay masks and scrubs using foods and herbs – have shared some of what I do on my site. So much cheaper than getting a facial done professionally… although that is probably a nice treat every once in a while, but I do wonder how natural the products are at most salons.

12. Meg says:

You convinced me….tomorrow!!! 🙂

13. Jasmine says:

I find too much fruit makes me break out.

14. Satori says:

A long time ago!

I’m gonna do my Manuka honey facial tonight too! Thanks for the great video. AnnMarie, you’re fantastic!

15. Anela says:

I really want to get one but it’s so hard to find an esthetician that uses all natural products!

16. Blair says:

A couple weeks ago…ready for another!!

17. Catherine says:

Yes, we need to nurture our bodies inside and out. Years ago I was much better nurturing my outer body, getting massages, facials and pedicures, but still eating meat, dairy and wheat. The last ten years I look and feel much better being on a mostly raw, vegan diet, and having a regular yoga practice. But now I’m neglecting the outer. I’m long overdue for a professional facial. I will schedule one soon! However, I do use Annmarie’s skin care products. I absolutely LOVE them! Thank you Annmarie.

18. Dee says:

Guilty, it has been a couple of years.

19. Melissa says:

My 13 year old son has acne from digestive problems. We have found oregano oil to be a good product for using externally. I put some on a cleansing pad and apply it to his face everyday. Our goal is to fix the problem internally but he has a hard time swallowing pills so we have not tried many of the herbs I think would help. I make him kiefer water which he drinks every day. Would like to try giving him dandelion root but it taste horrible.

20. Karen says:

I have never had a facial. I think I should do it sometime sone. Thanks!

21. Fawn says:

Regrettably, I can’t remember the last time I gave myself a facial. I have been moisturizing my face with organic coconut oil almost everyday for the past 4 months … that’s kinda like a mini facial because it feels extraordinary!

22. John says:

— Nice presentation Annmarie and good products as well.

With respect to Nikki K’s post, I would like to comment please.

With respect to iodine causing acne, that is a conclusion one can come to if we don’t look at things from a broader perspective. For example, some people say they are iodine sensitive but, in reality, they are most likely bromine toxic — or a similar toxicity — and when they take natural iodine they get a reaction because the iodine is replacing the bromine that doesn’t belong in the system. The same can be said of iodine causing acne. It does not.

If one gets acne from taking iodine, then they need to look further, because the iodine may very well be replacing a toxic chemical that the body can finally begin to throw off and present the symptom of acne or other symptom(s). And iodine can be a detoxifier in and of itself in the natural biochemical processes of the body. In fact, every mineral in the body can detoxify something harmful from the body. That is why minerals are so very important but we don’t usually take minerals for that specific purpose.

Please remember that acne is not the bad guy. What? Are you kidding? No, not really. Acne is not the bad guy. It a messenger telling us that something is out of balance somewhere in the body and the skin is simply the outlet because the other detoxifying pathways aren’t able to handle the imbalances or excesses. Acne is a symptom and we need to address the cause.

So, if iodine helps clear up your acne, then that is the way to go. Listen to your body. It’s better than any expert including me.

Also, using potassium iodide in liquid form can often stop an upcoming zit in its track by just applying a dab to the beginning outbreak. However, this should not be done over large areas — ever. The skin highly absorbs anything applied to it — thus good skin products are quint essential — and you don’t want to get excess iodine into your system.

I hope this was helpful in some regard.

John

23. Jamie says:

This is helpful, but I wish you would go one step further with regards to Rosacea. I have never had terrific skin, but when I got pregnant with my first child five years ago, I developed Rosacea and it has never cleared up. My youngest is now 2, I have completely changed my diet (currently dairy and gluten free, often vegan/raw with occasional eggs or chicken), I take more supplements than anyone could imagine, have completed two 21 day detoxes, and still have this horrible super sensitive skin. I am seeing a naturopath, and am hopeful, but it seems to be unfamiliar territory for many…

24. Gina says:

I try to go every month–ideally every week or two weeks (I would if it weren’t so expensive). It has been at least 6 weeks for me now though… 🙁

25. Diane says:

In response to Jamie with Rosacea .. a guy in my office had it and it cleared up when he started using a lotion/cream we get from a guy who makes it local. It’s made w/emu oil. I use the Patchouli flavor because it will keep mosquitoes OFF of me & I do not get bit .. I wouldn’t use the chemicals, so this has saved me. But my coworker quit having rosacea! hope that helps .. it’s called caymulo cream .. lasts a long time. good to soften my calloused feet too. http://austin.mybards.com/store/index.php?act=viewProd&productId=8

26. Luz says:

Melesma!!!! I have a melesma!! What on earth do I do about this! No one can give me answers about how, or why it began and/or what I’m supposed to do to cure it. The Dermatologist knows nothing. The internet doesn’t have much hope. I feel as if I’m going to live out the rest of my life and diet with these dark stains on my face! Help.

27. Carrie says:

I love this post. I never had acne until I came into my 30’s. I am also an esthetician and tell all my clients that adult acne, especially is from a deeper issue. I recommend looking at diet for allergies, addressing digestive issues, checking cortisol and glucose levels.
    Please look for holistic estheticians in your area. We are out there! I will not work with chemicals. I work with a holistic, natural line and also make a few of my own products that I use in the facial.

28. Melissa says:

Just wanted to give everyone an update. I followed Stephen’s advice and started giving my son Fossil Shell Flour, aka Diatomaceous Earth, and in less than a week his acne is almost gone. We went to a organic farm supply store and bought 1lb of food grade DE for $2.99. It is amazing to see the effects of the DE. His face was excreting so much oil before the DE and now his skin is oil free. I found this website which explains all the benefits of DE. http://www.morethanalive.com/Diatomaceous-Earth-Food-Grade-Powder.