Banana Blueberry Fruit Leathers (or Sweet Sushi Part 1) : The Renegade Health Show #830

Thursday May 26, 2011 | BY |

This recipe is a double agent.

It’s the first part of a complete recipe, but it actually can stand alone as banana and blueberry fruit leathers.

If it’s combined with the recipe that we show you tomorrow, then you get an extra special sweet sushi treat.

Check out this first part now…

Your question of the day: What is your favorite fruit leather?

This recipe is from Natalia! If you want to get her entire book with all her fantastic recipes, click here: http://www.nataliakw.com/purepleasures.php

Here’s the raw food recipe:

Sushi Wraps (AKA fruit leather)

3 bananas
10oz frozen blueberries, thawed
2 tbsp raw honey, softened (I only used 1 tbsp)
2 tbsp cold pressed coconut oil, softened
Blend bananas, blueberries, and honey until smooth, and the oil and blend until just combined. Divide puree in half and pour onto 2 dehydrator trays lined with nonstick sheets. Spread out evenly (but not to thin.) Dehydrate at 105 degrees for 8 hours.

Flip over and remove the nonstick sheet. Dehydrate for an other 3-4 hour or until dried all the way through. Store at room temperature.

Stay tuned for Part 2 tomorrow!

1. Kay says:

I made fruit roll ups for my kids when they were little — the other kids would want them when I put them in their lunch. I actually made some lately – banana and mango. With the addition of some soaked flax seeds, they made good crackers also.

2. Natalia says:

Well, I’m biased, but I say blueberry ;) Can’t wait til you share the magic of part 2! I think it will be a really fun surprise for everyone!!!

3. Cynthia says:

Looks so simple to make and so nutritional. I’m going to give it a go. I love the connection you and Annmarie have. My husband and I work together as well. Over 15 years now. You guys rawk!

4. Tara Burner says:

cant wait to see part two
    i haven’t made or had any fruit leather in a while :(

5. Kai says:

Wow, score on the dehydrator!! I like apple cinnamon fruit leather, and I’ve also made a banana walnut leather that was very tasty .

Looking forward to the conclusion of this recipe!

6. Karen says:

I don’t know why, but I’ve been hesitant to try much in the dehydrator. This was a great demonstration. I’m going to make some for my grandson.

7. Nadia says:

Mmmmmm looks great! And fantastic find on your dehydrator! I love black cherries and think that would be a great roll up flavour. And of course the blueberry one you made looks awesome.

8. Shelley says:

That recipe looks soooo yummy. My birthday is next week and I am hoping that the Excalibur dehydrator is one of my gifts. I know I had it on the wish list this year! This may be the first thing I make, although, I am pretty addicted to kale chips now. Thanks for all the great info!

9. Malibu Kim says:

I’ve made all kinds of fruit leathers – strawberry, blueberry, peach/nectarine, persimmon, banana, plum, apricot, apple – it’s all good as long as you’re using organic fruit. I don’t add anything except fruit to my leathers and they are incredibly delicious. The Teflex sheets make all the difference – they will not leach wax into your leathers and will peel off far more easily – not to mention the appearance of your leathers will be much smoother looking. I also recommend lightly shaking the dehydrator tray back and forth after you’ve poured and spread your fruit mixture – it will fill-in the spread lines and give it a smoother look. You can also do this with Roma tomatoes to make Tomato Crisps (see recipes/raw at: http://www.malibukim.com). I look forward to part 2!

10. Rachel says:

We make cherry lime fruit leather, and my toddler can hardly wait to eat them before they are done drying. And, another favorite in our house is apple berry fruit treats. We keep the mixture thicker and then cut them into fun mini shapes. She can have “fruit snacks” like her friends and she loves that. :)

11. Gen says:

I think my favourite would definitely be the one you just made! I so wanted to stick my hand into the monitor and pull off a piece of it.

Thanks for the inspiration … looking forward to what goes inside of it. Mmmmmm

12. Gurveen S says:

can it be done in an oven? i recall a friend of a friend saying she had made some, and i know she doesnt have a de-hydrator, so thats my next best guess… lowest temperature for sure
    Thanks for the recipe :)

13. Elaine says:

I want! Looking forward to the rest of your creation. BTW,unbleached parchment paper works really well in place of the waxed.

14. Christine says:

Watermelon

15. Melissa says:

I love the grape-flavored fruit leathers that they sell at Mother’s Market in Orange County. When I get back to the States, I’ll be sure to try your recipe, though! Que delicioso! :P

16. Peach leather is amazing!

As an aside… I would love to see a show of your bloopers. Ever considered doing anything like that?

Lisa Marie
    Owner, Rite Chocolate

17. anne marie -parchment paper would probably work better than wax paper. I use it all the time in my dehydrator :)

Looks great though, very blueberryish!

Thanks.
    Sharon

18. Katja says:

I need a dehydrator.
    I need a place for my dehydrator.
    Now!

19. Mark and Ruth says:

We’re new to raw so we don’t yet have a favorite but this looks like it could easily become one! When I find a 25$ dehydrator!!!! :)

20. JLynn says:

This is a question. I heard yesterday that bananas should not be eaten by people, just monkeys.The reason is they cause mildew in the body. Your thoughts on this?

21. Toni Kaste says:

Parchment paper is less sticky. Get unbleached. Thanks for the recipe!

22. andria says:

So excited to try this out when I get back home. In Costa Rica now as a travel mate to a very dear friend undergoing a major surgery.. wish I had my raw kitchen with me to share living food healing with her!! Please send prayers!!

I have to say apricot but I have not tried to make any fruit leathers yet. Excited to play with that. Thank you for your inspiration and sharing!!!

23. jackie says:

Apricot. Kevin, you are too funny! Love to watch you guys.

24. Mario S says:

Lovely folks, you guys are sweeter and look much more attractive than your yummy’leathers’.
    I love Mango as a base for all kinds of fruit rolls. I’ve found bananas too moldy after drying so I use other tropical fruits and lemons to keep it fresh and naturally preserved.
    I used to add sprouted grains and seeds but it’s too much work for a super busy life, I wonder if anyone has tried fresh ground sesame or chia seeds to make more of a tortilla, with guacamole and Salsa…wow, I’ll try it.
    Buenas Gracias amigos!

25. Thereasa says:

I had the same issue when I tried using wax paper. It was annoying. ;)

26. Sandy says:

Question:
    I don’t own a dehydrator. Can one put these on parchment paper and put in a low temperature oven with the door ajar and get the same effect?

Anyone out there without a dehydrator tried this in this manner?

THANKS!!

27. Vita says:

My used dehydrator did not come with teflex sheets either. l always use parchment paper, better than waxed paper l think. Works great for flax crackers, too!

28. Annie says:

First of all, Ann-Marie, you are so gorgeous in the morning so natural, I love it!! And my question: to make some fruits rolls, do you just need to make a thick smoothie and put in the dehydrator? 8 hours one side and 4 the other… The new D are always coming with teflex? Enough to last how many uses? Thank’s for sharing!

29. Adrienne says:

Hi Anne Marie and Kevin, I have enjoyed and benefited from your recipe videos so very much, and want to share an easy one of my own with you and your audience.
    Take a beet and spiralize it to make thin noodles, shredding would work fine too. Sprinkle on some apple cider vinegar and mix it up. just a little vinegar, because the juice will be mostly left behind.
    Roll up in nori sheet and cut into bites. I make small rolls, not much filling, just a half inch in diameter probably, and use the juice to help stick nori together at end. These are pretty yummy little sweet and sour bites. The extra juice I add to a smoothie or salad anything else I might be making, or I just drink it.

30. I MADE ALMONDS, SUNFLOWER SEEDS AND PINE NUTS WITH HONEY, BEE POLEN, CRANBERRIES, RAISINS OATS AND CINNAMON GROUND TOGETHER. FREEZE AND CUT INTO PIECES; YUMMY!

31. Sandy says:

Karen Beattie,

Your recipe sounds interesting. Can you send me the ratios, please?

dodgerbuddy@ymail.com