Will Drinking Warm Water Help You Lose Belly Fat? : Exclusive Renegade Health Article

Tuesday May 24, 2011 | BY |

annmarie-warm-water-belly-fat
Sitting in warm water, may be better that drinking it. (Tabacon Hot Springs, Costa Rica)

This is an interesting question from a Renegade Health Reader that requires some attention…

Imagine if just drinking a warm glass of spring water was enough for anyone to reach their weight loss goals – or better yet, burn off that excess, unsightly belly fat.

Personal trainers around the world would have to turn to other lines of work, like psychology, sketch comedy, or any job that requires standing around and watching people do things. (I can knock on trainers, because I was one!)

I know it already seems like I don’t think it’s possible a warm cup of herbal tea will turn your body bikini – or Speedo – worthy, but you may be surprised with my answer.

Let’s see if we can figure out if warm water will really help lose belly fat, using a little bit of knowledge, experience and common sense.

First, here’s the question(s)…

“I have been seeing an acupuncturist for about a month now. He says that my issues stem from circulation and recommends I only drink warm liquids, water preferable. Does this really help with circulation? Also, I changed my eating habits in September, 2010 and start with a daily exercise regimen in January. I have lost about 60 pounds and have almost met my goal. My problem area is my belly fat and my acupuncturist also said that the warm liquids would help with this issue as well. Is that true?”

First off, congratulations on your success!

Losing 60 pounds is not an easy task. You may not think it, but you are a fantastic role model and I hope you’re already telling people how you’ve made this lifesaving change in your health.

I hope they’re listening too…

Now let’s get to your questions.

Will drinking warm water help with circulation?

Sure.

Drinking warm liquids will help your body stay warmer and bring more blood to your extremities – particularly if you live in a colder environment.

Just drink a cup of tea when you’re cold and you can feel your hands and feet starting to regain their full range of motion. They’ll also no longer be like ice pads to your significant other, if you decide to hold their hand or give them a back rub.

This above is purely anecdotal information, but I’m sure somewhere on the planet you’ll be able to find some science (if you dig that type of certainty) to back it up.

How much will it improve circulation?

I don’t know the exact answer to this (3.5%?, 9X?, Double?), but I can tell you that it won’t work as well as the exercise you’re doing.

In the natural health world, I’ve noticed that people tend to gloss over the BIG solutions and try the things that are easier to do – expecting amazing results.

At times I find myself wondering why someone would spend $1000’s of dollars on a water machine, when I know there’s a clean, tested spring 20 minutes from their house. Or even better, why someone would bother buying and using a detoxifying foot bath, when they still smoke cigarettes. I guess it’s easier to just spend the money on something instead of doing the work.

Back to circulation… If you want great circulation, you better be moving. Warm water won’t cut it completely, or maybe not even enough to make any difference.

Will warm water and liquids help eliminate belly fat?

In theory, this may just work a little.

But it may also not work at all.

There’s a camp that will tell you drinking cold water will help eliminate body fat because your body burns calories when it needs to warm the water to body temperature.

The other camp, like your acupuncturist, will tell you that warm liquids increase circulation which in turn will allow your body to function more efficiently.

Who’s right?

They both are and they both aren’t. (There’s truth to everything, which may drive a few of you nuts.)

Why?

Because drinking warm water is the last thing I’d recommend to someone who is trying to lose their belly fat. (I would recommend drinking more water though.)

The three places I’d look before I’d even consider water warming as a fat loss secret are here:

1. Obviously, exercise.

Not only exercise, but the type of exercise.

Most people who are getting great fat loss results are doing interval type training.

This means, you do a few exercises in short bursts, then rest for a timed period. After your rest, you start again. (We have a Fitness Week coming up for you that will give you examples!)

The intention here is to shock your system a bit and create more testosterone (don’t worry women, you won’t turn Amazonian), boost the metabolism, and raise your heart rate.

These all will help burn fat.

But keep in mind – on the other side of the spectrum – you can also lose weight using cardio training.

What I’ve found though is that some of the leanest people I know, do interval training at least a few times a week.

Success leaves clues.

(Keep in mind, high intensity interval training might not be best for those with medium to severe adrenal issues.)

2. Hormone balance.

Belly fat, whether you like it or not, may be a result of a hormone imbalance in the body. While it would be nice to drink a glass of room temperature water while you’re reading or listening to your favorite Renegade Health Program and hope that everything works out, it’s just not the case.

Balancing your hormones is not an easy 1-2-3 solution.

People with more belly fat, tend to have lower testosterone and more estrogen (men and women). They also tend to produce more cortisol than others who are trim around the waistline. This means if you’re a ball of stress on a daily basis, you may be able to lose weight if you just go to the park and sit in peace for an hour a day.

The two most prominent body-fat-contributing, hormone producers are the adrenals and the thyroid. If your thyroid, closely tied to your metabolism, is sluggish, you will show it by having excess weight – generally all over your body.

If your adrenals are overworked, you also will experience the same phenomenon of “unwanted weight, unable to get it off.” Adrenals are more closely tied to belly fat though. (You can check Dr. Cass Ingram on this, as well as all those who link body types to different health issues.)

So what to do?

Get your hormones tested.

There are a lot of ways to do this, but doing one will get your started on the process.

Your options are: blood, urine and saliva. Again, do one, then see where that leads you.

3. What you put in your mouth is just as important as when you do it.

It’s funny, when I started out writing the answer to this question, I told myself 500 words would be fine. I think I’m now over 1000 with another 200 or so to go.

This just leads to the conclusion that nothing ever seems to be as straightforward as we’d all like it to be.

Anyway, this third place to look is very important.

Over the years, I’ve worked with some very overweight people. I’m not the type to lie about my track record, so I’ll tell you some have succeeded and some haven’t. I actually think that unspoken track records (not the people who brag about 99% success rates), are a constant over a lifetime. I think 10-20% of people will always succeed and the rest will continue to find excuses to keep them the way they are.

I don’t mean to sound harsh here, but this seems to be reality between all the people I’ve spoken to in all different types of coaching. Anyone who boasts a 70-80-90-100% success rate, absolutely stop tracking their people once they leave whatever program it is.

Anyway, back from that tangent, the good news is that you can increase your success rate of lowering belly fat by focusing on when you eat and what you eat.

Of course, you don’t want to eat cookies and white sugar and bacon cheeseburgers.

But what I’ve found is that some people respond really well – in terms of weight loss – with a low carbohydrate diet and others respond well with a higher carbohydrate diet.

What does that mean to you?

Try them both and see which one works best for you.

Also, the time that you eat is important as well.

You may or may not be surprised, but the largest people I’ve worked with habitually skip breakfast.

You would think they’d have to order the lumberjack special at the local diner every day to gain all that weight, but they usually don’t eat breakfast at all, not even a bagel. (Which I wouldn’t recommend, but may actually be an improvement from nothing.)

Eating regularly, can increase your chances of losing weight because it balances the release of insulin in the body. When you starve yourself during the day, then eat at night, chances are you are eating more food and more carbohydrates. This will cause a greater release of insulin that you’ll take with you to bed – meaning simply – your body will turn into a fat storing (and snoring) machine.

So what and when are super important.

How is important as well. Eat with friends (healthy ones.) Eat sitting down. Eat when you’re not doing anything else.

To wrap this all up, another note on warm water…

I thought I’d share this because it’s relevant to what we’re talking about today…

My Spanish teacher, Maria Theresa, here in Peru told me the other day that you have to drink warm water with raw foods. Apparently, it helps with digestion.

I don’t know if she’s right or not, but this is wisdom passed down from the ages here in Peru. Apparently, everyone knows this.

But remember, she’s a Spanish teacher.

She may be right, or it may be folk lore.

It’s up to you to decide if it works for you or not.

My advice, is that if you do have a little digestion issue and you’re eating a lot of raw foods, give it a shot and prove it to yourself.

In the worst case, you’re more hydrated than you were before.

I want to know your thoughts: What is your take on warm water? Have any science to support or refute it?

1. Cinnamon says:

I’ve been told a few years back from an ayurvedic doctor that drinking “tea” hot water (heating the water up as hot as you can get it but still being able to drink it, like preparing water for tea) will help cleanse out your lymph nodes.

2. Nenet Gomez says:

I’ve read that Deepak Chopra always had a thermos bottle with warm water as part of his health regimen.

3. Jennie_Raw says:

has anyone else heard something about ice-cold water causing a rise in your body’s pH level when your body works to bring it up to temp?

4. Green Century says:

The question here is not if you will lose weight by drinking warm water but, “Does an acupuncturist have the ability to diagnose circulation as the problem?” Come on now, if you just lost 60 pounds in less than a year and you are still overweight, it is not surprising some body functions are not quite ideal yet. Give it a year, keep up the good work and then get some blood tests and definitely get some analysis of your hormone balance. Interval training is key if you want to improve your fitness. This will do wonders for your heart and brain and other organs. Make a lifestyle commitment to eat for health and your belly will fall into place. Great job!

5. Pam Dix says:

“While it would be nice to drink a glass of room temperature water while you’re reading or listening to your favorite Renegade Health Program and hope that everything works out, it’s just not the case.”
    Thank you for making me laugh today!! (also a very healthy thing!!)

6. First off Kevin, I think if a person is chronically dehydrated, more water would definitely help with circulation issues by thinning too thick blood. Second, it is my experience that drinking lots of water helps me lose belly fat more quickly. Maybe it just fills me up, I’ve also read that often people mistake thirst for hunger and eat when what their body wants is water. Third, I never drink cold water. I truly prefer it room temperature so that’s how I drink it. No science here, just my own thoughts–hope they’re helpful.

7. Sue says:

I just drink room temperature water! If I want hot tea, I make herbal sun tea. If I want cold smoothies, I add frozen fruit. Ice cubes don’t excite me!

8. Hi Kevin.Thank you for Adrinal and thyroid info. Im defenetly going to check mine.
    Its very interesting regarding water, and I can tell you I did my homework. I never been water drinker, I didnt like it and only water I drank wos tea or juce. Two yrs ago my patient called me up and asked me to come and see the machine that make water microcluster and has antioxydants. We are over fed and under nurished as you know and who pay attention to good water anyway. Water is water rigth.That what I thought. Anyway I lost 25lb not even trying. MY main health issue was indiagasion and constipation that water from this machine taking care and bunch of other health issues. You body is 75%water, every day you lose 8cups of water dont you think you need that water back in your cells to be healthy. IM not trying to sell or advertise anything on yr site just want to share info and experience that I got drinking good quality water.Just check this for your own info http://www.kangendemo.com and email me lanaeron@yahoo.com I have most of the answeres for water and why Hanza people live to 120yrs. Dont you want to live at least 100yrs. Im RN myself and was oncoligy nurse for 10yrs. Dont wait until something breakes in yr body take care of your internal organs.
    best regards,
    Lana Djagaeva

9. Aub says:

What I have noticed about drinking warm/hot water is that my digestion improves, bloating eases and my stomach flattens. I don’t know if I actually lose weight but it certainly makes my gut happy. Apparently it’s an old Chinese remedy to ease digestion.

10. Phyllis says:

This is the first I heard of the warm water theory. I always heard that drinking ice water burns more calories as the body works harder to bring the cold water to body temp.

11. Stephanie says:

I drink warm water simply because it’s gentler on the system and to me our bodies are under enough stress, physical and emotional that the few extra calories burned from drinking ice water is not worth shocking your insides. Burn the extra calories through exercise and better food choices.
    Nice post Kev :)

12. Diane says:

I sometimes have gall bladder issues (my dad had his removed) and my doctor recommended drinking warm water instead of cold. I do seem to have less flare ups, so maybe there is some truth to this or maybe not ;).

13. zyxomma says:

I just had to read this! I’ve been an East Village, NYC denizen since before the neighborhood was called the east village (and no, it wasn’t Alphabet City, that’s strictly 1980s, and no one who lives here has ever called it that!); we called it the lower east side (that name now applies only below Houston Street, not between Houston and 14th Streets).

Back in those days, most of the health food stores and restaurants were macrobiotic, or leaned that way. We were taught to drink room-temperature water, and that both cold and hot liquids were shocks to the system (not that that stopped the macro restaurants from serving kukicha; they all did).

Unlike many of the people frequenting these establishments, I’m a lifelong hiker. As such, I’ve encountered many a cold, fresh, glacier-fed spring. As I filled my bottle from the springs (and this was in the days before Giardia contaminated them), I decided, “No way is drinking this water unhealthy!” I felt that way then; I feel that way now. I love water (and certain herb teas, and organic jasmine white tea) at ALL temperatures, and that’s how I consume it. Cold (even iced), cool, warm, or hot (not boiling, that’s too hot), it’s all refreshing.

I can’t weigh in (no pun intended) on whether there’s a metabolic effect; I have insufficient information. Health and peace.

14. Luli says:

I tend to use both the cold and hot tap of my water cooler. If the water is cold, I tend to drink less. So, I tend to put a spritz of hot in with my cold water to bring it to room temp or warmer.

15. As an acupuncturist and raw foodie, here’s my response: I agree with
    Kevin as far as exercise and diet are concerned. Acupuncture will
    help with cortisol levels and hormone balance, which is probably why your
    Acupuncturist did not mention this to you. He or she was giving you suggestions on what you could do for yourself outside of your sessions.
    Saying thy warm water helps with circulation is a bit offhe mark. From a Chinese Medical perspective, belly fat is a sign of dampness due to a weak spleen system. Eating cold foods aggravates a weak spleen system.
    Therefore, adding warm drinks, warm spices and herbs to your regimen
    may help to strengthen your spleen system. This will help eliminate the damp congestion. Good luck!

16. OM says:

Ayurveda the ancient science of life, recommends sipping warm water with your meals to aid digestion. They also recommend not eating until you are full but leaving your stomach a bit empty at the end of a meal. Only way to know is to give it a try and see, nothing to lose:-))

17. Faye says:

I am a Canadian currently living in China. As a young person in Canada I grew up drinking cold water and most everything I drank was cold or iced. When I come to China everyone told me that drinking cold water was not healthy and that warm or ‘hot’ water was better for my health. The thought of drinking warm water while sweating in a very hot, humid climate was repulsive to me!
    I have noticed that the Chinese drink a glass of warm water upon rising in the morning and continually during the day. They say it’s better for your skin, your digestion, etc. After researching and studying a little about Traditional Chinese Medicine, I find they have many reasons that support drinking warm water. To make a long story shorter, I just want to say that drinking warm water has to do with your “chi” and inner body temperature and balance. It’s quite interesting. Everyone here is knowledgeable about “hot” and “cool” foods and know how to keep the body balanced. This is a new concept to most people from Western cultures.
    I have recently lost 70 pounds eating a raw diet and following many TCM ideas. I still have much weight to lose, but I am off to a good start. For the first time I can go out the door into the hot and humid climate here and not sweat till I am drenched. I’ve learned to drink warm water in the morning and throughout the day. By keeping my body balanced I have slowly lost weight and feel better. Another thing about TCM; it works over a period of time and is seldom an instant cure for anything, but is healthier for the body than most of Western type ways of dealing with problems people have.
    So I have to agree with drinking warm water. Try it!

18. Steve says:

High nutrient food is paramount to becoming healthier, which translates into losing weight and gaining health. You’re less hungry and you eat only when you are hungry. Takes a little knowledge and commitment. I follow Dr. Mercola, Furhman, and Raymond Francis as reliable sources.

19. Steve says:

I recall hearing that drinking very cold ice water is rough on the pancreas. Wouldn’t know why physiologically. Any help out there.

20. Shannon says:

Kevin, my acupuncturist believes that cold in the body causes disease. No I don’t have any science to back it up, but I do feel ALOT healthy after I started wearing socks at home, and I never drink cold liquid…

From a TCM point of view, warm water is healing. Cold water is damaging. This is my understanding of it.

My naturopath on the other hand prescribes cold showers!! So, I don both!! Weird huh, I had great results on cold shaowers, but I make sure they are only for 20 seconds and make sure I fully rug up afterward so I can follow my acupuncturist’s advice, too, and not get my ‘core’ cold!!

21. B says:

Phyliss is correct for a metabolism boost of 20% after 90 minutes from consumption of ice cold water!

22. David King says:

Interesting article Kevin! and a long one.

It’s funny what you said about the warm and cold water and how they can both help. I thought of something when you mentioned that. One thing I have learned is the “hot/cold” shower after workouts or any extreme fitness… This improves circulation and moves the lymph system. So it seems like both hot and cold water would help as well, I sort of want to try drinking warm water then cold water and just go back and forth for a bit… It seems like this would improve circulation, move the lymph system and help “reset” ares of the body overall. So thanks for the idea inspiration! I think both are beneficial just because on the skin it helps move the lymphatic system and circulation.

Looking forward to future posts!

David King

23. Isabella says:

I prefer to drink room-temperature water as opposed to water out of the ‘fridge: I find icy-cold drinks hard to drink, think “brain freeze”. I also find drinking (sipping) a cup of hot water is very relaxing.

24. wayne rivali says:

There are not any definitive studies on drinking hot or cold water, but I am convinced that cold warter will burn more calories than hot water. And because cold water is more refreshing to drink, one might be inclined to drink more of it. Also, if digestion is poor to begin with, warm water can accelerate the fermentation of food in the stomach before it is fully digested.

A question I ask on unverified topics is, what did they do a hundred years or more ago? Most water was probably drank at whatever tempurature it came out at. If it was sitting in a pitcher on the counter, it would be closer to room tempurature. From a river, it would have been colder. Wintertime would have probably been the only time it would have been feasible to warm up water. I do know that my pets prefer it cold too.

25. Lina says:

I live in Toronto and was on high raw for a long time. I lost a lot of weight but my digestion started to deteriorate. Anyway, I went to several naturopaths in the area. They thought that my diet was “very clean” and that I should just continue. Things got worse as I even developed a lot of food sensitivities.

I turned to Traditional Chinese Medicine and I have to agree that drinking warm water especially in a cold region helps with the chi as noted by Faye. I had to tweak my diet with the care of a TCM specialist while taking Chinese herbs and having acupuncture at the same time. I can tell you that I am much better. I am told that if your spleen and stomach are weak and you live in a cold place, eating cold raw food just doesn’t help you.

26. Antonio says:

It is never a good idea to drink cold water. Room temperature or warm makes sense, but I am not convinced about the weight loss.

About the purity of spring water:

There are good reasons to filter water with a good water purifier that you won’t get for under 500.00. If you think they are testing the water, really testing it, you will be surprised to know that they don’t test for very many chemicals because IT COSTS A FORTUNE !! Think about all the chemicals out there now, everywhere, then think how much it would cost to do a REAL water test. Don’t kid yourself you couldn’t afford it.

Play it safe and invest in a very good water purifier. It will never replace real spring water, but you will have to get over it because spring water, as we knew it, is a thing of the past. I filter my spring water that comes straight out of a rock where I live. It kills me to have to do it, but it would kill me faster if I didn’t.

27. Betoman says:

An Oriental Medicine doctor once told me not to drink anything cold or it would steal my Qi (Chi)! I don’t want anything stealing my mojo, so I drink room temperature, warm or hot water and other drinks, never ice cold. Does it work? I still got my mojo workiin’, so say my wife and kids!

28. sunny says:

100 Degree Soup

To borrow from Bob Flaw’s, The Tao of Healthy Eating, our digestive system must transform the food we eat into a 100 degree “soup” before it can be broken down and used. The more our food is like a 100 degree soup before we eat it, the less stress it places on the digestion. This is why it is so beneficial to thoroughly chew our food, warm it in our mouths, and mix it well with saliva before swallowing. It also explains why TCM recommends eating warm soups, broths, and porridges, and sipping warm teas, especially for people with weak Spleen Qi.

Avoid foods which are Iced, Frozen or Chilled

When we douse our 100 degree soup with chilled or iced foods or beverages, we can greatly impair our digestive function and weaken the Spleen Qi.

The TCM diagnosis known as “Cold in the Middle” can create symptoms such as abdominal pain, bloating and cramping, watery diarrhea with undigested food in the stool, and vomiting. Over time, consuming iced or frozen items can contribute to long-term digestive difficulties as well as certain gynecological disorders.

Instead, it is preferable to drink warm or room-temperature beverages, primarily between meals, and avoid frozen desserts.

Most raw foods, including fruits and vegetables, are found in the Cold or Cooling thermal categories. Just as iced foods tend to put a chill on our 100 degree soup, so do many Cold category foods. However, we shouldn’t necessarily avoid all raw foods.

Raw vegetables and fruits are filled with beneficial vitamins, minerals, fiber and enzymes. The amount of raw food that is appropriate for a given individual is determined by his/her specific condition and TCM diagnosis. This, again, is where the concept of moderation is important.

Some raw foods, however, are actually Warm category foods, such as garlic, onion, chive, ginger, chestnuts, pine nuts and walnuts. So, when other raw foods are eaten, it is advisable to combine them with some of these Warm category foods to counter-balance the Cold nature of the raw foods.

Suggesting to drink warm water was not to lose the belly fat but to aid digestion for her condition.

29. Joelle says:

Yes, and my raw food teacher has also told me that drinking cold water is really bad for your… I think she said the liver.

30. Rose says:

I remember reading a study about cows and water temperature. Can’t find the exact study but found a pdf called “Beef Cattle Water Requirements
    and Source Management” done by the Mississippi State University that states that cool water will make cattle eat more and warm water will cause them to eat less. So if you want to fatten a cow then give it cold water. I wonder if this could also be applied to humans?

31. Ruth says:

I have studied Chinese Medicine and the likely reason for the suggestion to drink warm water for weight loss is the client’s own internal picture, observed from signs and symptoms. It is not easily explained. It took me a few years hard study to understand things from a traditional Chinese health perspective.
    It might be, for example, that she has damp in her system and because of the delicate balance of the signs and symptoms, bringing warmth to her insides may help to reduce bloating and stubborn weight. It’s not something that makes sense from a Western perspective and my advice would be that the woman who has sought the advice decide for herself whether she wishes to test the theory. Drinking warm water is unlikely to do any harm, is it? Having the sort of results that I’ve had with Chinese medicine, I’d definitely give it a go. There is a strong chance that with the right practitioner, she could do really well.
    All the very best!

32. oreganol says:

The only way to find out is to test it. I bet it will work for some people and not for others. Everyone is unique and has unique needs.

But you can have 4 big macs a day and a glass or warm water and hope to lose weight. You need to use some common sense.

33. shine says:

the bulgarian master omraam mikhael aivanhov recomended drinking hot water for every ailment including weight loss – he talked about the many properties of hot water on many levels so yeah!

34. Rob says:

Drinking ice cold water shuts down the stomach from secreting digestive juices (I think I read it in the Ph Diet book).

I drink a lot because of exercise and work. I prefer cool water to room temp water since I chug it by the gallon. Add some lemon or some sea salt grain for electrolytes.

Dr. Batmanghelidj studied patients in Iranian prison. He found they were *all* under hydrated. Do this experiment – fast for a day drinking when you feel thirsty. You’ll find your thirst is unquenchable the whole day.

I prefer to eat a modest breakfast, big lunch and then just hydrate (no dinner) into the evening, stopping well before bed so that I can have uninterrupted sleep.

35. Steph says:

Really desperate for answers for my son… ACNE?? I wonder if any of you with Chinese medicine knowledge have ideas on this…?

36. Tammy says:

As far as losing belly fat goes, here’s another thought. I was never really overweight but could never seem to lose my belly fat no matter what I did. About 4 months ago I discovered that I am glutton intolerant. I stopped eating anything with glutton as well as started on a 50% raw diet. The belly disappeared!!! I only wish I knew about the glutton thing years ago.

37. Glutton :) I think you mean “gluten.”

38. Velda says:

Steph … I helped my son with his bad acne problem with supplements. I studied what cause acne … which is basically an overload of the system. They usually eat junk food, and their hormones are raging and the system cannot get rid of the toxic overload, so they break out with acne. I cannot remember all the supplements I got him. He started drinking a lot of water, laid off the soad and began to eat a little healthier. I know we got a supplement that helped improve liver function. A good liver cleanse might be helpful for him also. Good luck

39. Ira Edwards says:

Any physiologist knows that digestive enzymes work best at body temperature, and not diluted with too much water. The effect is not great, so you may not notice.

40. Gail says:

Ditto Sue #7
    What’s warm? Somewhere between room temperature and hot? Then I do both.

I almost spit out my room temperature water reading about Tammy’s glutton problem! LOL

41. Toffler says:

Agree with many of the commenters, TCM teaches all cold drinks are bad as they harm the stomach/spleen/pancreas, make it harder to digest food, and use up essential bodily foods (as a result of the effort to raise cold to body temperature). To Jennie_Raw, yes you can think of this as changing the pH balance, although its typically not explained that way in TCM. (One of my TCM teachers even suggested too many cold drinks can lead to syndromes of exhaustion of essential fluids such as diabetes–see my blog for an explanation)

Here is one way drinking warm water could help lose weight: if you drink a large glass first thing in the morning (minimizing activity beforehand), it’ll help to flush your bowels and therefore toxins. Obviously flushing both of those aids weight loss. Cold water doesn’t work nearly as effectively in the flush process.

I could go on and on from the perspective of TCM, but there are enough comments to that point already.

42. Toffler says:

To add one more thing: warm water increases satiety. Cold water does not.

Warm water combats false or fake hunger signals (dehydration, etc); cold water will aggravate them.

43. Colleen says:

Hi.i lived in Tenerife for a few years,an island where there is all yr round sun and the doctors there would always tell you to drink water ‘del tiempo’-room tempreture or if a child had a sore throat or cold not t take iced drinks or ice-lollies?

44. husain says:

d follow wat islam says – a few mouthfuls of food is enough for the human to keep going but if you need more divide your stomach into 3 parts food water and air. End quote. -how beautiful is the advise. We should always stick to moderation in food water and also exercise. Nothing in excess is good for yov. Eat less and lead an active lifestyle. Eat and drink only when you need to. Not when its time to. The best guidance is the guidance of Islam

45. Suzanne says:

I always drink room temperature water, just enjoy it better. Also I drink a hot cup of broth once in awhile as I don’t drink coffee. One thing I won’t compromise on is I do like an occasional ice cold beer!

46. faith says:

I used to work in Vegas. I was intrigued at how many Asian tourists asked for hot water and lemon…not tea. When I asked why many said it was the norm in their culture and that it helped with digestion. I also noticed that none of them were overweight. As you said…couldn’t hurt to add more water..and the lemon is an added boost!

47. BJ Appelgren says:

One thing i noticed about room temperature water is that if i’m thirsty i’ll drink much more water if it is not cold. It seems to be more accurately what is needed.

48. A comprehensive article. Talk about the benefits of warm water reminded me of my 15 years training in Pok Khek and Wing Chun Kung Fu. My Chinese instructors in both styles spent most of their time sipping warm green or Oolong tea. This is a cultural habit across Asia and India. It carries over from ancient medical texts regarding chi or the energetic breath, or the elemental relationships of earth, air, fire, and water. Practitioners of Hatha Yoga, following ayurvedic principles, of energetic exchange, pursue much the same habit, generally preferring warm drinks over cold, although this depends on body type.

Now that I am a meditator, it is interesting to note that Buddhist monks are also permitted tea and warm drinks in the afternoon as opposed to cold drinks, which are seen as rather luxurious and slightly debilitating. One thing I have found is that on retreat, (but also at home) following the Buddhist dietary precept of not eating a meal after midday means there is a real stimulus to eat well at the (really) early morning breakfast. This conforms with ayurvedic theories that the digestive fires peak at around midday. In belly fat terms, it is therefore intuitive to speculate that anything eaten after that is bound to hang around in the body. It would be an interesting study to compare the weight retention of those who eat after midday, with those who don’t.

Thanks for the suggestion about interval training. I will take that up. I will also do my best to “live awesome!” Good advice.

49. Olivia walker says:

When I look this up and do research, I have found that drinking warm water helps lose weight and clean your system. When your body is Hot it try’s to cool itself down which takes calories. Also, the hot water does help your matabolism stay fast.

50. Amely says:

I enjoy drinking water more than any other type of beverage. As far as weight loss benefits it can suppress appetite for a little bit and encourage the person to assess whether the signal is either hunger for food or just thirst. Another benefit is that it helps with elimination and therefore gets rid of excess toxic material from the body. Sometime I feel tired and low on energy and is mostly due to poor hydration not true hunger. I believe from self experience that yes exercise plays a very important role in fat loss. However, the major component is what is being eaten and drank .
    I have had the opportunity to experiment with various diet methods and had no success. Diets are a perpetrator to sabotage, overeating, thus leading to more weight gain. The method that I have applied to myself is continue to have fun with physical activities. I call it play time and focus on wholesome unprocessed foods. More important to me is the quality and quantity. I love the writings of Luigi Cornaro, where he explained two simple rules for those who want to help themselves: 1) eat what agrees with your stomach
    2) and in the least amount possible
    Again the emphasis was and is in wholesome foods. Actually, that was part of the equation. The other is to avail yourself with peacefulness and activities that one enjoys. Laughter, love and rest.

51. Laura says:

What are your thoughts on raw food diet and bodybuilding. Is it possible and healthy?

Laura

52. Thanks for the balanced and informed discussion!

According to Ayurvedic lore, drinking a glass of warm water with lemon and honey every morning will gradually reduce weight, and doing the same with cold water will increase weight. I only know of couple of people who tried this but they both say it made a noticeable difference, and one of those people is me. Purely anecdotal but these traditional wisdom things often have some basis.

53. Joy says:

Chineese medical advice says the spleen needs warmth. This is why I personally drink warm water as I eat raw.( I also avoid eating food off the fridge).
    This interests me because my daughter (46) has eaten raw for 2 and a half years and still has a fat belly. Might be the colon says a doctor…
    Joy

54. Morey says:

I’m not sure whether the hot or cold water argument really holds up. I can tell you drinking hot green tea has made a difference for me.

55. JC says:

You really don’t know what you are talking about. Everyone’s body and metabolism is different.
    No cure for all exists.

56. littel doll says:

I hv more belly fat plz advise me too how to loss n inches for waist n belly fat for fast reason plzzzz plzzzz tell me fast

57. First, I love that you are open about “success rates”, as there truly are a whole bunch of people – in whatever category, be it weight loss, any sports, wealth, success etc – who claim to own very different numbers.

Secondly, regarding warm water – for a long time I drank almost only warm water, I did not like the feeling of cold water in my stomach and it also cooled down my body ( I was working in AC’d environment a lot).
    I also felt that warm water on an empty stomach would wake up the digestive tract better than cold water.

58. Maggie says:

I’m 340 lbs and have been limiting what I eat for two years. A diet without exercise just doesn’t work. I wish I had the energy of a teenager but I don’t. Knowing that at any time I can gain back all the weight in a few weeks doesn’t help either. Sometimes one wants to eat a cheeseburger or have a slice of cake. Not at the same time, nor same day, but those things are unavoidable for real people. I don’t mistake thirst for hunger because unless I’m suppose to eat less than a child’s serving I’m doing the best I can. I practically starve everyday in hopes that I can return to my former weight yet the older I get the dream becomes more of a dream than a reality. People may choose to become fat but once they are there, then there is no return to being thin without major risk and great personal sacrifice.