Do You Need More Protein (Update! You May!) : The Renegade Health Show Episode #827

Monday May 23 | BY |

Last week, I interviewed Brenda Davis and this week I am interviewing her colleague Vesanto Melina…

I was super-impressed with both of their knowledge and I told Vesanto that I wanted to make sure that we didn’t overlap our discussions.

Today, she talks about how the protein requirements have changed a little which means you might actually need a little more protein than you’ve been eating (if your vegan or raw.)

Check it out here…

Your question of the day: How much protein do you need? To calculate… figure out your weight in Kg. (Take lbs and divide by 2.2)

To find out more about Vesanto Melina, please click here: http://www.nutrispeak.com/

1. Tara Burner says:

Guess I need 46 since divided weight by 2.2 and multiplied by .8
    hmmmm I know that I dont get that much!

2. Annie says:

Weight in kilograms is about 60. I was interested in what she was saying about sprouting chic peas, soybeans and the like. She mentioned that these are ‘caustic’ to the system? I was going to sprout both of these to make raw hummus and raw tofu. What information do you have about this?

Thanks,
    Annie

3. Catherine says:

I get 50 grams or 62 grams.

4. Anne says:

48 to 60grams for me. I must get that on most days now that I eat fish three times per week and I also use the sun warrior rice protein in my green smoothies. Plus add chorella, sprouted buckweat, cooked buckwheat/Quinoa/amaranth, Millet and all the veggies…

Thanks Kevin

5. Eric P. says:

49 grams per day? I’m lucky if I get half that much! (lacto-vegetarian, slowly transitioning to pure vegetarian). I wonder what the best way for me to add more protein to my diet is.

6. Thanks for putting up this interview! I love sprouted mung beans they are amazing. How would you square some of this info with DrCampbells info that a mixture of veg (Tomatoes,peas,Lima beans,spinach,potato) provides 33g of protein per 500 cal?
    To answer your question, according to this calculation I need about 81g a day. Personally I’ve found that I struggle to make strength gains and recover eating that little, I use .7x lean body mass in lbs which for me is closer to 140g a day. That said I don’t tend to find that difficult to accomplishon a vegan diet.

7. Ramova says:

To get 1gr/kg of body weight is not that hard on vegan diet. Here’s exemple:
    -cooked kidney beans (one can)= 24.5gr
    -tempeh 1/2 pkg of 113 gr =20gr.
    -1/4 cup dry quinoa = 6gr.
    -high protein tofu 3 oz = 14 gr.
    -1 sprouted wheat tortilla = 5 gr.
    -2 slices of sprouted bread = 6 gr.
    -hemp protein 30gr = 13 gr.
    -1 scoop (30gr) Raw Protein powder= 18gr.
    Other rich sources.. nuts, seeds, nut milks, sunflower patty, veggie burgers, peas, spirulina …
    ~ Have high protein green smoothie!!

8. Paul says:

At 80kg, I would need 64g. As a 99% Vegan, I should do a calculation to see what I’m getting daily.

Anyway, how would I know if I’m not getting enough protein, or enough lysine for that matter? I’ve been eating like this for 3 years now, and still feel great!

Thanks Kevin

9. HopandSkip says:

Very interesting…I need about 34 grams of protein as I weigh about 95lbs….but more interesting to me was that I have in the last two years really cut down on my red meat (grass-fed/organic of course) and my hair which used to be long started falling out and breaking off! Hmm…the lysine, which I just started taking in supplement form about a week ago may help with this I’m thinking. (I hope!…and I’m open to suggestions!) I want my long hair back! :0) I do eat a relatively low calorie diet…not by conscious choice, just because I’m a snacker. I eat tons of soaked nuts and seeds, and some sprouted grain breads.

The other side effect of low protein and the possibility of anemia, is that sometimes low blood iron can also be related to irregular and heavy bleeding with cycles, in addition to the cycles disappearing altogether. The supplement Hemoplex, or something similar has helped a friend of mine with this issue.

Always something new to learn! :0) Thank you Kevin!

10. CB says:

50-63, but I eat some eggs, cooked beans and grains. I usually get 60-70, but I was closer to 45 when vegan. I added more protein because I was getting weird eye twitches and menstrual problems. It fixed the eye issues, not the other one. I find I crave carbs and sweets when I don’t get enough protein.

I also know protein needs go way up when pregnant- duh you’re making a person. Like 75-100g! I had trouble getting that as a lacto-ovo vegetarian. You have to eat a lotta beans if you’re vegan.

PS – my kids are big fans of Johnny Five!

11. Chris G. says:

I need 50.9 grams according to this method.

12. BarbaraL says:

According to Doug Graham and others, no one has a protein deficiency. There is protein in EVERYTHING except the oils. Green, fruits, vegies in addition to all other foods contain protein and he also says you do not need to eat a complete protein every day, you can store amino acids and call upon them later. Hope I am quoting him correctly. He also says you do not need supplements. Since I am petite, I only need 35 grams. I weight 95. Doug Graham and others are total athletes on plant based foods so this person’s opinion may be just that, an opinion, since Doug an some of his clients have lots of muscles, and athletic stamina as needed.

13. julia says:

Hey Kevin-
    You mentioned in a recent post that you and Annmarie are no longer 100% vegan. I know you were talking about yogurt a while back and am wondering what are the non-vegan foods that you eat and why.
    Thanks so much!

14. Jill says:

Have you all tried drinking Vega by Brandon Brazier? It is awesome and gives you the right amounts of so much of what Kevin has been suggesting.

Blessings!

15. PE says:

As I said once before, .9-1.2g protein per kg is the optimal range from most ‘need’ studies that look at such detail.
    Protein is itself a gross measure of the roughly 18 amino acids we use, and the interactions of lots of 1-2 aminos and less of 1-2 are not well understood, hence the ‘varied diet’ mantra.

16. rachel says:

Great article! I usually tend not to worry about my protein in take much even though i am vegan. But recently i came down with a cold and this article is making me wonder if by increasing my protein intake(beans mainly)my body will have more strength to fight off the virus.