Three Easy Ways to Test Your Thyroid : Exclusive Renegade Health Article

Thursday May 12, 2011 | BY |

sluggish thyroid sluggish cats
I wonder if cats have sluggish thyroids. Seems like it, right? (LOL)

Many people have underlying thyroid issues that are causing symptoms of poor health.

The tricky part is that most people don’t even know what their thyroid is, or what it does.

In this article, I’m going to give you a quick thyroid education (very quick) as well as give you an idea how you can determine if this important gland is giving you a hassle.

To start, I want to give you some idea of how you’re feeling could be connected to the thyroid.

Some of the symptoms or low thyroid are sluggishness, overtired, inability to lose weight, circles under your eyes, puffy eyes, brain fog, cold hands and feet, hair loss and more.

Some of the symptoms of unhealthy high thyroid are excessive weight loss, nervousness, shaky hands, increased bowel movements, fast heart rate, heart palpitations and other signs of excessively high metabolism.

As you can see the thyroid – located below your Adam’s apple – plays a very important role in regulating metabolism. If it’s not working right, you’re not working right.

For most people, their thyroid is sluggish, which means you gain weight.

So now let me give you three basic tests and techniques that you can use to get a good start to help you identify what is going on.

1. Home Test: Feeling the thyroid gland.

One benefit of your anatomy is that you can actually feel the thyroid.

It sits just below your Adam’s apple and it’s “wings” are on both sides of your trachea.

To test it manually, you’d run your fingers just along the sides of your throat where the thyroid sits and see if there are bumps or swelling.

Feeling for abnormalities or swelling is one of the easiest way to see if your thyroid may be stressed, but it’s also nowhere near a complete test.

If your thyroid IS swollen, then you definitely need to explore further.

If your thyroid is not swollen, this doesn’t mean you don’t have any thyroid issue – it just means you don’t have any extremely obvious ones. :-)

2. Home Test: Checking your basal temperature.

Your thyroid monitors your metabolism, so if you run too cold or too hot, this could be an indication that you need to give your thyroid some support.

In some cases, this could mean you already have a thyroid issue.

This home test is quite easy to do and is surprisingly accurate.

In order to test your basal temperature, you need to get a basal thermometer from the drugstore (this is different than an oral one).

Every morning before you get up out of bed, place the thermometer under your arm for 5-10 minutes.

Record the temperature. (Do this for a week or so.)

Your temperature should be between 97.8 and 98.2 on average. If it’s not then you will want to test further and start giving your thyroid some support with herbs, foods and supplements.

One effective and tested herb for thyroid support is ashwagandha.

3. Lab Testing: TSH, T3, T4

Lab testing, along with the two types of testing above, is a very accurate way to figure out where along the thyroid chain you’re having issues.

The first step is to test your TSH, which is your thyroid stimulating hormone. This is a start to determine if your thyroid is under- or over-functioning.

If your TSH is high, chances are the thyroid isn’t functioning well enough. This can be a sign of hypothyroid.

If it’s low, then chances are it’s overactive. This can be a sign of hyperthyroid.

One of the biggest challenges that most people have with identifying thyroid issues is that their TSH results seem OK, but they’re still experiencing symptoms of thyroid issues.

A good practitioner should be able to guide you through what to do next.

Once you get the TSH numbers (high, low, or normal) and you still suspect that there is still a thyroid issue, you can explore your T3 and T4 numbers (total, free, and reverse).

These are compounds that are produced while your body is “talking” to your thyroid.

There are individual tests that you can take to identify each one of these levels and they each mean different things. (Which are fully discussed in “The Complete Thyroid Health Program”)

So to wrap this up, these are three basic ways to start the detective work to determine if how you feel is related to your thyroid.

All three of these tests are easy, relatively low or no cost and will help you take action and finally change the way you feel.

Think about how nice that would be.

When to test?

Dr. Williams suggests every one (particularly women) should start testing their thyroid after they reach their 30’s since thyroid issues are such an epidemic.

You can do this through your own health practitioner, or you can use an online service like Direct Labs or Personal Labs.

I want to know your thoughts: Have you done any of these tests before? What were your results?

Feeling Sluggish?

Dr. Williams and I might be able to help.

After 30 years of hands on patient work, Dr. Williams has put together a complete protocol for healing the thyroid and helping people restore the energy that they had when they were in their 20’s and 30’s.

If you’d like to feel energetic and youthful again, be sure to click this link below and read about how the thyroid could be keeping you in the sludge.

Click here now!

1. PLISSON says:

I have Hashimoto disease.
    Trated by LEVOTHYROX
    I wish to take natural treatment instead safely.

• My answer to Hashimoto disease, as well as for other problems, would be using high quality therapeutic grade essential oils, which are balancing to your body and mind.

I don’t believe that taking the same herb, or whatever the treatment might be, works for everyone the same way.

For years I tried many different herbs, homeopathic remedies, herbal tinctures, etc., for my son’s asthma, but none of it worked until I used high quality therapeutic grade essential oils.

There are many tests for this and that, but I believe in a positive attitude, bettering your life-style and eating habits. If you keep on looking for problems – you’ll find or even create them! Do the opposite – tell yourself that you’re doing better, and make the changes! Most important – BE HAPPY – THAT’S A PROVEN CURE!

Yes, it is good to be informed. For example, Candida can affect your life. I discovered the oils that work best for keeping Candida under control, plus changed my diet and attitudes.

2. Gina says:

Hey Kevin and AnnMarie:

I really don’t like all these reading articles, please go back to your videos again.
    My question is If I already know that I have a slow thyroid and have been on synthyroid for many years, is the program that you have with Dr. Willams of any benefit to me?

3. Dawn B says:

Color me dumb, because I can’t find the videos either.

4. Cindy says:

Unfortunately, it isn’t always this simple. About 10 years ago I gained 50 pounds in a 5 month period. I jogged 3 miles a day and did aerobics, I was vegetarian and suffered from candida overgrowth so couldn’t eat sugars, breads, alcohol etc. Dr didnt do a blood test just exam and said my thyroid was fine. I struggled for years trying to lose weight, not. Had blood test done and it showed I was hypothyroid. So they started me on Armor, 15 mg for one month, it was worse, doubled, worse doubled again, 60 mg, tested worse, I stopped. A Natural Dr I visited checked my irises and told me different problems I was dealing with, one was my thyroid was “clogged” he said. Nothing helped until I started the Raw Foods diet. That has helped me lose about half the weight and then stopped. But at least I feel a little better. Very frustrating.

• Yes, this is exactly what I am talking about! We need to cleanse, daily take probiotics, walk, juice, control Candida and our emotions, etc. Not do tests.

• joyce balderston says:

Cindy, have you been tested for gluten intolerance? which can cause many symtoms of other diseases. with gluten intolerance you body cannot use gluten which is found in wheat, barley & rye. Usually with it you have several other food allergys also. You can take yourself off gluten foods for afew weeks & see how you feel.

Celiac is an auto immune disease, where your body attacks its self.

• Stephanie says:

Cindy, I also suffered from a lot of the symptoms you are describing, for years. It wasn’t until my young daughter became very sick with terrible stomach aches, body aches, hair loss…..the list is endless, that I started researching like a mad women. After blood work she was diagnosed with thyroid issues and pre-diabetic. They put her on meds and guess what, she was still sooo sick. Long story short: It turns out it was celiac disease that was causing all the craziness in her body. With in a month of going gf she was a totally different child.
      My daughter and I did not have the typical symptoms that are associated with celiac. We are both over weight and did not have chonic bowel issues. But is is amazing how much better we feel now after taking gluten out of our diet.

5. AlanRoy says:

I like the written articles the best. Videos take too much of my time to view, I can’t see how terms are spelled, it’s too hard to go back to what was said at some point. With written articles I can easily review an interesting point, make sure I “heard” it right, ponder it and give it due consideration, and zip through the rest of the article. And it is easier to go back and find an important sentence. Thank you for continuing the articles. They are very useful.

6. Debbie says:

I agree! I like the written articles soo much better for all of the reasons Alan mentioned!

7. oreganol says:

I was tested for the first time last year…

TSH 1.114 (within optimal levels of 1.0-2.0)
    T4, free 0.83 (within normal levels but lower than optimal level of 1.2-1.4)
    T3, free 2.96 (within optimal range of 2.8-3.2)

Not sure why T4, freeis slightly out of range. Any thoughts Kevin?

8. Barbara says:

I like the articles too.
    You see I still have dial-up and boy I do miss a lot of things.
    But I research until I can find my articles or transcripts !
    : )
    Thanks

9. Rebecca Cody says:

I, too, like the written articles for the above reasons, and because my computer is in the living room where my husband watches TV, so I don’t like to listen to anything except during commercials or when he goes elsewhere.

Also, I’ve noticed that video interviews say so much less than articles, because all the uhs and ahs and other non-essentials are edited out of articles.

However, I know many people are much more visual learners than I am, so the clips are great for them, I guess.

10. Giota says:

Hello there!
    I also prefer the written articles :)
    I have Hashimoto’s and I am taking T4 62mg daily, for a couple of years now. Whenever tested, my thyroid antibodies are extremely high. I don’t know if this means that my problem is aggravated, plus I always feel so tired…

11. Sarah says:

Kevin: Good article but the thyroid basal thermometer test has pretty much been debunked. Thre are many reasons for this but one is that you can get a false low reading because of “mealtonin spillover” when you first wake up. Lag time between melatonin levels and getting adjusted to the light of day can be responsible for giving you a false temperature reading. But that is just one reason the temperature test is no longer considered by most health professionals to be of value.

12. Sarah says:

Sorry, that should have read “melatonin spillover”.

13. Jane says:

I also prefer the written articles! so I can read on bed :)

Have fun in Peru!

14. Danette says:

Just wondering about specifics: when you say to place the thermometer under your “arm” just before getting up, where exactly under your arm should it be? This needs to be specified. Under your armpit, under a different part of your arm, should the thermometer be pressed between your arm & body, or between arm & bed?

I also prefer the written articles.

Thanks,

Danette

• LynnCS says:

Raise your arm a bit…put the working end of the t in the armpit sticking out in front…close down the arm and wait the needed time.

15. Rita Romney says:

Kevin, I hope you don’t mind me telling your readers/viewers that there are excellent yahoo groups on natural thyroid/adrenal issues. Many of your readers have asked questions about their thyroid problems. They can find answers on these groups where people have “been there, done that” and really, really can help. The moderators on these groups are intelligent lay people who know more about thyroid/adrenal issues than most doctors. And they insist that people get the appropriate blood work (they help them interpret it!) before any assistance is offered.

16. ENERGY! Tiredness…The biggest common thread I have noticed in the past 30 years with everyone I have coached/trained/observed is this: Those who get off track suffer. Those who stay on track thrive. Those who stick to good eating habits prosper; those who eat poorly have low energy due to poor digestion and assimilation. Not going to bed on time is a MAJOR MAJOR contributor to tiredness, bags and circles under the eyes and depression (also part of a poor diet- it all ties together into one vicious cycle). The simple answer to 99.99% of all “problems” has at it’s stem fundamental lifestyle habits that only a small handful ACTUALLY follow. I know. I have been in the trenches with them for three decades. This study has been my life. And I see it/ feel it myself when I slip up even the slightest bit. You tend to become very in tune with your “machine” when you live well and experience what fine tuning means. There are health conscious people (they pick apart everything and test everything) and there are those who actually practice health (They just do it). Their health is ironclad and they always have energy since THEY control it and need no tests since they have no problems. Anyone can do this. What are you waiting for? LIVE! Stop thinking that there is something wrong that you must “test” for. There is only something wrong with your lifestyle- CHANGE IT and see how to become your own locust of change. You don’t need any doctors, medical or “natural” unless (God forbid) you suffer injury or trauma.

17. Rob says:

I like written articles and raw food ‘cooking’ instructional videos.

18. Chris says:

Still new to this.. However, my naturopath suggested I stop eating wheat as that can have a great affect on your thyroid. I have and it has been much easier to lose weight and I have weigh more energy. You both have a great site. Thanks for all the info!

19. Frances says:

I love the videos but realize you have a passion for writing. I’m sure in a group this big some prefer one or the other or both!

20. Carol says:

KEVIN…you previously mentioned that you had adrenal stress and Dr. Williams helped you get your adrenals functioning normally again. So, does one need to get the adrenal issues straightened out before they can get the thyroid functioning properly again?

• Renata says:

Excellent question…. I found that Iron levels (low levels) and Thyroid are connected as well as, you can have an adrenal imbalance AND a hormone imbalance… everything all together, sometimes it is not just 1 issue but many at ontop of each other.

~ Thyroid
      ~ Hormones
      ~ Adrenal burnout
      ~ Iron levels are low
      ~ food allergies (wheat / gluten)

A combination of all this together…. low on progesterone when premenopause can be create exhaustion too. Low in Iron can make you feel like a depleted balloon, a bit of everything out of balance can really make you feel like you need to sleep for a week.

21. Deb says:

I always used to watch your videos and enjoyed your energetic and interactive style.
    I like getting the written articles and the videos, but somehow I can’t find the way to get to your videos anymore. Is there a way to have it on the same page with the written article so it shows the video format and can just be clicked on-when I click on your link on the side it doesn’t seem to take me to the right place. Like some others have mentioned I just can’t get there and that is why I don’t watch anymore, but read your articles.

I have always really enjoyed your ‘vibrant and lively’ videos and miss seeing them. Thanks for all you do to help the community. ; )

22. I was diagnosed in 1982 with hypothyroidism & a goiter and placed on Synthyroid 0.2mg. I could never lose weight until I started swimming laps daily. Then in Jamuary 2011 I started the Paleo Diet. I have lost over 40 pounds & don’t feel sluggish anymore. The diet consists of meat, vegetables, fruit & nuts. No dairy, grain, beans, processed, sugars.I’ve basically cut all my medications I take in half as my body doesn’t require as much now. And I feel great! I no longer have fibromyalgia flares or chronic pain.

• LynnCS says:

Curious about the no grains and beans. Would love to hear more about the reason behind it.

• Starches (when cooked), and, supposedly, fungus found in storage areas. Though, many grains are really good for you, if properly prepared and not being the only food source. For example, Ann Wigmore suggested grain for people who were in need of extra support.
        For example,to get benefits from a grain, sprout it or even put in kefir for fermentation, or make rejuvelac.

23. Beth says:

I’ve never had my TSH, T3 or T4 tested. I have done the basal body temp and been in a good range.

24. Marie says:

Was interested in ordering Dr. Williams program along with the Ashwagandha Extract powder…Can this be mailed to Canada (will it pass through the border???) and if one follows the typical dosage of Ashwagandha Extract, how long would a package last me???

Thanks,
    Marie

25. George says:

Hi, I just got my results back and everything is normal the Doctor said, but I still think that something is wrong. I feel sluggish and fatigued. I’m 23 i workout and still feel bad. What should I do. Thanks

26. Terry says:

I have found the thyroid DOES NOT WORK PROPERLY if there is not enough Iodine.

In the EXCELLENT book Iodine:Why you need it, why you can’t live without it” Dr. Brownstein explains why Iodine is so important.

My mom died of cancer on February 17, 2003.

After looking over her life I found she had ALL the symptoms of low iodine leading to an under-active thyroid.

• LynnCS says:

With all my thyroid history, I still checked ok on the 24 hr iodine test. Hmmm!

• Everyone is different. I am convinced my mom died of cancer, because of blaming herself for not taking good care of her mother. That, and chemo. And before it, diabetes, and having no desire to take care of her own health.
        And even before that, listening to a dumb doctor’s advice to take 1/2 cup sugar for her low blood pressure.

It’s even hard for me to believe she followed that advice, even though she was young at the time.
        She just did not any better then.

27. Charlotte says:

Man, I wish I could make an appointment with Dr. Williams while he’s in Austin since I live here. I’ve been struggling for years with what I believe is candidiasis. I took antibiotics and birth control for two years when I was a 15 for acne problems. I’ve been following the BED diet off and on for the last four year while maintaining a gluten/dairy/sugar-free whole foods organic diet. I’ll usually feel well for 6 months and then I have another candida flare up. It starts with indigestion, gas, bloating, stomach distention, and constipation. Shortly after my symptoms start, my period stop coming. A couple days ago my peristalsis stopped working altogether. I feel tired all the time, even after I exercise (which usually energizes me), my skin is very dry, and I don’t sweat. It’s really annoying as I’ve been following the BED strictly for the past couple months. I drink fermented coconut water and eat homemade cultured vegetables. My diet is mostly green vegetables with the addition of some quinoa, amaranth, sprouted cooked and pickled (in sauerkraut juice) lentils, some wild fish or organic chicken, egg yolks, goat milk kefir, some sprouted nuts and seeds.. I just don’t know what to do anymore.. I want to get a colonic, but it’s just so expensive. I’m a college student so my resources are limited. If you or anyone has some good references for doctors, NDs, or health centers in central Austin please let me know.

• Charlotte,
      I’ve been thru all of this too. what finally worked for me was therapeutic grade essential oil of tea tree and Ocotea. Tea tree took care of Candida, and Ocotea lowers blood sugar and heals the stomach on contact.

If you have bloating, you do need a cleanse, plus home-made probiotics, which is much cheaper than buying elsewhere. You can do an enema – it’s sold at drug stores as a water bottle system. You can simply use distilled water with raw apple cider, and maybe add other ingredients. That’s not expensive.

• Renata says:

For Candida…. look or research into ORGANIC OREGANO OIL….you can get it at choices or whole foods, just a few drops in water and chug it down, it gets rid of fungus, mold and other bacteria in the body…. even if you’ve had constant ear or throat infections… this will stop ear and throat infection or pain almost overnight. I have to take 3 drops in tomato juice to get the oregano oil down it is that strong. You can put it in water or juice. Taking 3-5 drops a day. If your tongue is coated in a white film you will notice it clearing to it’s natural pink in days depending on how bad your candida is.

Just a note, Oregano oil can block or diminish iron absorption in the body, so if you need to supplement iron or drink some prune juice or eat prunes or apricots 3 or so a day to replenish the iron for weeks that would resolve an iron absorption issue if taking oregano oil…. or you can take other iron supplementation in liquid plant forms.

28. Kate says:

Let me start with, I LOVE this site….. and I normally don’t comment, but just thought I’d throw in my 2 cents when it comes to taking your basal temp… Cause you might potentially give some women a scare, depending where they are in their cycle. *shrug* Might be something to mention.
    I use FAM (Fertility Awareness Method) (NOT to be confused with the rhythm method…which is bupkis!)…and one of the things you do is take your basal temp every day…. And a woman, depending on where she is in her cycle, might think her thyroid is totally out of whack if she hasn’t been taking her temp on a regular basis…when in truth it’s just her testosterone level shifting.
    Wait… you guys might already know this….
    Well anyway! Great article, as always. :)

29. karen says:

hear hear Terry – Iodine is the answer to peoples woes – look for Lugols Solution 15% – works quickly & effectively & cost effective. Iodine deficiencies in the soil is now a worldwide issue !!

• I would not use the inorganic solution, though I did buy it years ago. I would use Kelp and other iodine-rich live foods, no matter how little iodine there is. Our body can only assimilate live food. Check your urine the next time you take vitamins or supplements – your body does not assimilate all that foreign processed stuff.

30. Hurrah for you for pointing out good info about thyroid function. I would add selenium ( T4 inactive to active T3), tyrosine and iodine deficiency ( have slightly shy of about 1000 patients taking iodine,) autoimmune (gluten wheat commonly), Adrenal stress and female hormones can also be unbalancing factors for the thyroid.

Basic T3, T$ and TSH blood testing is a minimal thyroid test, ReverseT3, and Thyroid antibodies should also be screened along with gluten antibodies. Thanks for sharing this important info to the public.

• Yes, there are many factors affecting our health, plus we are under constant change. It does not make sense to constantly test for different allergies, dis-balances, etc.

If you follow a healthy life-style, cleanse, and eat right – the results will follow. You will save yourself a lot of time and money! I’ve been thru all of this with my son, and learnt.

Positive attitude, being happy, managing stress, loving relationships – in other words, striving for balance – that’s the key!

31. tex rijnders says:

Ki Kevin,
    Thanks for sharing. You mentioned in your newsletter tat the thyroid problem is mainly being caused by 21 century lifestyle. Could you explain that more specific please?
    Keep up the good work!

32. Kevin,
    I like your videos and articles, especially the early funny ones. That’s how I found you, Kevin, I think, on YouTube. You introduced Donna, before she started Body Ecology.

Kevin, you brought a lot of good info to people. The cancer summit was great! I missed the last one, unfortunately, but I know where to find the info. Good site!

By the way, I forward some of your info to my friends.

33. James Burris says:

Hi! Im seeing im having symptons of both Hypo and Hyper -thyroid. My main problem that im having are panic attacks, depression, and fear etc. Can medicine for my thyroid elimnate these problems? What kind of medicine do u recommend? Thanks!

34. nikki denning says:

Hi Kevin,
    Thanks for bringing this light on this condition & many others that you talk about. I would like to introduce you to a Doc that says no one has to suffer from these conditions and there are natural remedies for these chronic health conditions, through nutrition! Most important thing you need to get well is an open mind.
    You’ll be glad to know of him & so will your readers and fans; his name is Dr. Joel Wallach DVM, N.D. and his colleague Peter Glidden, N.D.
    Where can I send you info on his protocols? Please check out wellness warriorz on facebook!!
    My husband is a critical care RN on an ambulance and his life changed when he went gluten free, then tanked up his body with nutrients, then he got off five perscription medications and no longer has dvt’s or embolisms, afib or diabetes. Plus, he lost 125 lbs. Its a game changer.
    Many Thanks!
    Nikki Denning

35. Kat Rogers says:

Actually, I have a question that I can’t find the answer to any place I’ve searched on the web… I pray you can help me! I have Hashimoto’s Disease as well as fibromyalgia and arthritis & disc problems all through my back. I am in constant pain, and the new stupid~ass drug laws here in New Port Richey, FL make it much worse for me. I started taking a supplement called Protandim a couple of months ago. After the first 3 weeks I could not even believe how good I was feeling. The meager pain meds I take were actually lasting all day, the arthritis pain in my neck and back were gone. I haven’t found anything for the exhaustion or fatigue yet. Anyway, I ran out of the Protandim for a couple of weeks and the pain was back full force. I just started taking it again about 2 weeks ago. So, here’s my question: Can Ashwagandha, which in one of the ingredients give a false TSH reading in my blood work? I’ve been on 175mcg of Levothyroxine for several years and it’s been quite good. Now my Dr tells me I’m on too much thyroid meds and wants to lower it to 125mcg. He already dropped it to 150mcg and my pain level has gone through the roof!! I have not discussed this with him yet because I wanted an expert in this field.

God Bless You for any help you can give me! I know he won’t increase my pain meds, and I’m already bed ridden, but this is just TOO MUCH PAIN !

Warmest regards,
    Kat

36. Name (required) says:

my tsh was 79.5 two months but now it is only 1.45 but i m still feeling it what to do

37. aggie says:

I am not interested in the program and learning everything about the disease or listening to seminars. I know I have hypothyroidism and want just what I need to do to take care of it naturally. Can you help me??

• Steve says:

You need to take your health into your own hands. If you do not want to read or listen to videos about your health concerns just check youself into a hospital, lay in bed, and let the staff test you for everything. You have to make some effort into your own health. Dont expect it to be handed to you out of entitlement.

38. Anonymous says:

The picture asks, “I wonder if cats have sluggish thyroids. Seems like it, right?” The answer to your question is if they’re castrated then YES they do have sluggish thyroids. Loss of testosterone effects the thyroid and makes it sluggish. That’s a FACT. That’s why neutered cats aren’t as active as they use to be.

39. E Clark says:

I have hypothyroidism yet all of my blood tests were “within normal range.” Luckily I have found a doctor that realizes that just because my levels are what is considered normal doesn’t mean that it is nornal for me. Unfortunately, my thyroid has continued to grow on suppressive therapy and it is going to have to be removed. I cannot do the surgery right now and trying to make it to when I can is almost unbearable at times.

40. Jessica says:

Hi, I’m twenty years old and was had a blood test a few years ago which determined I did not have a thyroid disease, yet I have the symptoms of low thyroid. Are there other tests doctors can do?

Thanks