A Diary of a Liver and Gallbladder Flush : Exclusive Renegade Health Article

Thursday May 5 | BY |

first-salad-after-liver-gallbladder-flush
The first salad after the flush… so good. (What did you expect? Pics of the toilet? LOL!)

Today, as promised, I’m going to share my liver and gallbladder flush experience with you…

Like I said in Monday’s post (here), I was convinced after my interview with Andreas Moritz to try this cleanse since I have had a history of liver abuse. 😉

In the past, I had some strong views about the liver-gallbladder flush.

The two most prevalent are/were these:

1. The “stones” that you excrete during the cleanse can’t really be stones. There’s not enough room in your liver and gallbladder to store them.

2. If my cholesterol was low (in the past), why would I want to excrete more bile and cholesterol?

I’ll address the first concern, now post-flush at the end of my flushing timeline here. The second concern, which I feel more important, does not apply to me any more since I have raised my cholesterol levels to right around 150.

Regardless, I realize that this is a relatively benign process and I understand completely that overstimulating the liver and gallbladder can cause a release of bile that may be helpful to people who have sluggish digestion, liver build up, gallbladder attacks, skin issues and other challenges.

This is why I decided to do it.

In this article, I’m going to break down the flush that I did so you can see just how it transpired – my hope is to inspire you to take action on your health as well as dispel some of the myths about the flush being an awful experience.

Let’s get going…

Wednesday, April 27th – 11:00 AM: Interview with Andreas Moritz.

I was excited to do an interview with Andreas (author of The Amazing Liver and Gallbladder Flush), because I had some specific questions about the liver gallbladder flush including the question about the materials being excreted during the cleanse and if they really were “stones.”

I had no intention at the time to do this cleanse.

Wed. April 27th – 11:57 AM: Decide to do a liver and gallbladder flush.

I’m still not fully convinced by Andreas that the body is storing all of these pre-formed “stones” in the liver and gallbladder, but I am convinced that if you overstimulate your liver and gallbladder you can create a cleansing effect.

I decide that if I do a cleanse like this, it may help further my quest for even better digestion and better skin.

But first I need to get the exact protocol together so I search the bookshelf to reference my Amazing Liver and Gallbladder flush book to get the cleanse right.

I don’t have it with me in Berkeley, so I do a Google search and the protocol comes up on thousands of sites.

Wed. April 27th – 2:35 PM: When to do it?

In the book (I remember) as well as the Internet, Andreas explains that you might want to do the flush on a weekend because it isn’t exactly pleasant.

I wasn’t thrilled about ruining a weekend with diarrhea and Epsom salt cocktails, so I figured ruining a weekday would be better.

I decide to do the cleanse on Thursday night.

I realize a challenge that I do face, is that I haven’t been drinking apple juice (as outlined in the book) for 6 days.

I would only have a chance to have about a day and a half of it if I started on Thursday.

Based on my clean bill of health for the last almost decade and my clean diet, I decide that if I load up on apple juice in the next 36 hours, I’ll be OK.

At least, I hope I’ll be OK.

I spend the rest of the day working.

Wed. April 27th – 9:36 PM: At Whole Foods.

At this time, Whole Foods is the only place open to buy what I need for the cleanse.

(Work ran a little longer than expected.)

I wonder where I’ll find Epsom Salts since I’ve never bought them before. I also don’t want to ask the woman in the supplement department because I’m still queasy about expelling stones and the whole process. I decide it’s best to keep it to myself and search around.

I find Epsom Salts fairly easily in the supplement and bath section, get about 6 grapefruits, and grab a 16 oz bottle of olive oil.

Total cost about $18.00.

Wed. April 27th – 11:15 PM: Kev’s at it again.

Annmarie comes home from a friend’s house, looks at the counter and says, “what the heck are you up to now?!”

[On to the next day]

Thurs. April 28th – 1:45 PM: Eat lunch later than I should have.

I’m not supposed to eat after 1:00 PM, but I got caught up putting together the second half of the Howard Lyman interview on the blog.

I get a salad from an awesome place here in Berkeley called Venus.

Thurs. April 28th – 3:30 PM: Mixing the Epsom salts and water.

As I’m mixing 4 tablespoons with 24 ounces of water, I’m wondering – based on some of the accounts of the flush – why on earth I would want to voluntarily spend a day on the toilet.

I decide that the reward of even greater health is far better than a day of agony (if that was even the case.)

Thurs. April 28th – 3:32 PM: I ask Annmarie how her experience was when she did the flush.

She reminds me it was awful.

Thurs. April 28th – 3:32:13 PM: Questioning.

I question my decision again.

Thurs. April 28th – 3:41 PM: Leave to go for a run with a friend on the Bay.

I wonder if running before the cleanse is a good idea, but I figure as long as I drink a lot of water it will start the detoxification process nicely.

Thurs. April 28th – 5:41 PM: I can’t wait.

I know I’m supposed to drink 6 oz of the Epsom Salts at 6:00, but I want to get on with it.

So I drink 6 oz of the mixture.

It doesn’t taste as bad as some have said it would. In fact, after the initial bitterness, it tastes sweet.

Thurs. April 28th – 7:58 PM: Back on schedule.

I drink 6 oz of Epsom Salts.

Tastes the same as it did last time.

I am getting hungry now.

I tell Annmarie, I’m just going to eat and forget about the whole thing.

She knows I’m half joking, but tells me I can’t back out now.

She’s right.

Thurs. April 28th – 9:30 PM: Teamwork!

Annmarie is kind enough to juice the grapefruits for me.

I realize I only needed two, not the 6 that I bought.

I also have a small headache. Likely because I went for a run.

I drink some extra water.

Thurs. April 28th – 9:47 PM: Bedtime.

I get ready for bed.

You’re supposed to lie down immediately after drinking the olive oil and grapefruit mixture, so I get ready for bed.

I know that if I don’t get ready for bed before I drink it, I probably would check email one more time (which is not a 2 minute event) and do other things that are not allowed in the protocol.

Thurs. April 28th – 10:01 PM: Almost on time.

I mix 5 oz of grapefruit juice with 5 ounces of olive oil.

The book says 4 ounces of each, but I figure I’m not an average sized person, so a little more won’t hurt and may even be a little more effective. (I have no data to support this, just a hunch.)

I use a whisk to turn the mixture into a creamy texture and ask Annmarie what it tastes like so I can be prepared.

She tells me that it’s just like salad dressing.

I slug it down.

Tastes like salad dressing.

Thurs. April 28th – 10:02 PM: Not tired, but…

I lie down.

Thurs. April 28th – 10:04 PM: My stomach starts to gurgle.

It doesn’t like 10 oz of salad dressing.

Thurs. April 28th – Maybe 10:15 PM: Nighty, night.

I fall asleep.

Friday, April 29th – Somewhere around 3:00 AM: A weird pinching.

I wake up.

I know it’s about 3:00 or so because the cat is asleep, the room is still dark and I’m still tired.

Just underneath the bottom of my rib cage on my right side, I feel a pretty strong pinching sensation.

This is right where my liver and gallbladder are, so I assume this is the liver or gallbladder (or both) working to push out as much bile as possible.

It doesn’t hurt, it actually feels pretty good, because – again – I assume that the flush is really flushing.

[Between 3:00 and 6:00, I wake up frequently.]

Fri. April 29th – 6:38 AM: First morning drink.

I get up to use the bathroom (only #1) and drink the third 6 oz of Epsom Salts and water.

I’m really tired. I realize that I didn’t sleep well at all.

Instead of getting up, I decide to get back to sleep.

Fri. April 29th – 8:49 AM: Second morning drink.

I get up again two hours later (I set an alarm) and drink the final 6 oz of Epsom salts.

No indication that I have to use the bathroom yet – except to pee.

Against my previously planned work schedule, I lay back down and fall asleep again.

[NOTE: This is where it gets a little graphic, but not so bad… I’ve kept it pretty tame. LOL!]

Fri. April 29th – 10:37 AM: First #2.

Finally, I feel like I have to use the bathroom.

I grab my iPhone so I can play Sudoku while I’m on the throne.

I play two easy games and I’m done.

For those of you who aren’t aware of the process, when you #2 the day after, you are supposed to pass greenish, floating stones that are presumably gallstones and bile that has been sitting in your liver clogging it up.

Some people only pass a few, while others pass “thousands.”

I was hoping to see a bunch, but when I examined everything, I only saw 3-5 stones floating. Not spectacular, but promising.

I anticipate more the next time.

I also decide that I won’t take pictures and post them on the blog as I was originally planning.

Fri. April 29th – 1:12 PM: Second #2.

I opted to not do an enema to get everything moving.

This is recommended so the “toxins” from the cleanse won’t be absorbed back into your body.

Again, I understand what is being said here, but at the same time as long as there is transit (and believe me there was) the absorption would be minimal.

This time, I play 4-5 games of Sudoku and it becomes very evident to me that Epsom salts really do their job.

I’m excited again to examine my flush, but find that there are only a dozen or so “stones.”

Fri. April 29th – 1:43: Lunch time.

I’m super hungry.

I haven’t eaten anything besides 10 oz of olive oil and grapefruit salad dressing in the last 15 hours or so.

I make a quick salad.

The salad dressing: None.

Fri. April 29th – 2:50 PM: Back playing Sudoku.

This time again I pass about two dozen or so stones.

Fri. April 29th – 3:05 PM: I take a nap.

This process has worn me down. I’ve been making sure to drink lots of water, but I the lack of sleep, diarrhea and bodily stress this flush caused a little bit of a headache (again).

I wonder if exercising before the cleanse yesterday was a good idea.

Anyway, I decide it’s in my best interest to take a nap.

Fri. April 29th – 6:21: Final round of Sudoku.

This round was shorter and it seems like everything is out.

The flush seems to be over with very little fanfare and fireworks.

I’m happy it wasn’t too much of a crazy adventure (it would have made a better story,) but I’m also happy it was pretty easy.

[Next day]

Sat. April 30th – 8:10: Confirmed.

After a morning juice, I use the bathroom and confirm no stones and officially end my cleanse and this journal.

Total Stones: 4 dozen (+ or -)
Total Bathroom Trips: 5 Rounds
Clean Liver: …

Conclusions:

Of course, I’m not going to leave you with just a journal account of the experience. I want to share with you some wisdom I learned from doing the cleanse myself that ranges from tips to thoughts about the protocol.

Here they are:

1. If you’re going to do a flush, do it on a day off.

You don’t want to leave the house when you’re flushing.

Have someone be around to support you and don’t even think about going to work unless you’re really close to your officemates – like married to them.

2. Not as bad as I thought.

Based on Annmarie’s experience, I thought the liver and gallbladder flush was going to be awful.

Annmarie was up all night, had pains in her stomach and was miserable the entire next day.

This shows me that clearly everyone will have a different experience.

I’ve heard similar things from others. Some have a good experience, others do not.

There’s a lot of speculation that I could make as to why this happens, but I’m going to leave this for someone else to figure out.

I just don’t know.

I don’t know why, and I definitely can’t tell you which experience you’ll have.

(Be sure to check with a practitioner if you decide you want to do it.)

3. Don’t exercise before you drink the salts.

I knew when I was going out to exercise it wasn’t a good idea.

I fought my intuition here and it beat me up.

My headache wasn’t that bad, but it was a headache that I didn’t need to have.

4. Do it again if you feel like you didn’t cleanse.

I will do this again.

I don’t necessarily feel that I didn’t cleanse – the feeling in my side was evidence that something was doing something – I just want to make sure I do a few rounds of this before I make any further decision about the protocol.

Andreas recommends (depending on your situation) that you start with a few every month or so, then do a maintenance flush once or twice a year.

I think this is reasonable.

5. I still am not convinced that all the “stones” are stones or even all bile.

Even after listening to Andreas explain the “stones” and seeing my own, I’m still not convinced that they’re all stones that have been stored in the liver and gallbladder.

Based on what I’ve read – and short of sending them off for lab testing – I’m convinced that they’re a mixture of oil, citrus and bile.

The good news for those that support the cleanse is regardless of what they are, there is a cleansing effect that is brought on by the excessive release of bile.

Also, there MAY be real stones excreted. If you over stimulate the liver and gallbladder and it is holding stones, then you may excrete them. This is why the Epsom salts and apple treatment is important in the beginning – to soften the ducts and any stones.

Unfortunately, these stones will not float and you likely wouldn’t see them unless you deeply examined what was coming out of you.

6. Did it work?

This is a challenging question.

Did everything happen as the book said they would?

Did it transform my health?

I don’t know yet.

I don’t have a serious health issue that could have been helped immediately by this cleanse, so I may never know.

I’ve heard many fantastic stories of gallbladder attacks ending after doing this cleanse.

I’ve also heard stories of skin clearing up and other digestive issues getting better.

This to me seems like at the very least some real success.

As for you, it’s up to you and a trusted health practitioner to guide you through the process (if you even need it at all.)

So back to my experience, I’ll be monitoring my skin and my digestion to tell you if I notice anything of note.

My guess is that I won’t see anything dramatic because health is a cumulative effect of all the things you do.

So it likely the flush may have helped, but it’s only one part of the puzzle.

I also will repeat the flush when we return from Peru in late June.

For those who have more serious issues that this may help alleviate, I’d like to hear your stories, since that will help me be more sure of my thoughts around this protocol.

If you’re interested in trying this or you want more information on the liver and gallbladder flush, please listen to the interview I did with Andreas Moritz, he clarifies many things I didn’t discuss. You can see that here:

I want to know your thoughts: Did you like this type of diary? If so, what else do you want me to try? LOL!

Comments are closed.