Is Our Food Contaminated with Radiation (Radiation Update) : Exclusive Renegade Health Article

Thursday Apr 28 | BY |

mount tamalpais no radiation
Up on Mt. Tamalpais in Marin County. The higher up you go, the more radiation there is… naturally.

Many of you over the last few weeks have asked me for an update on radiation levels in the San Francisco area as well as asked for my thoughts on some interesting numbers that have shown up in pseudo-news articles around Net.

It seems like the media has moved on from the Fukushima disaster to other – more important – things like our president’s birth certificate and if Donald Trump is really going to run for president. (Please read that with sarcasm… LOL!)

Today, I’m going to address just a few issues like radiation in rainwater, diary products, and food. I’m also going to talk about my own measurements on my Geiger counter (if they even mean anything at all.)

Before I start, I want to say everything that I write here is prefaced with this statement…

1. My Geiger counter readings are the same as they always were.

Since the first day I got my Geiger counter, before the “radiation cloud” hit the United States, my Geiger counter has read exactly the same for every 30 and 60 minute period I’ve monitored. I’ve measured at different times of the day, inside and outside, and it’s never wavered.

My counter is not what they use at the Berkeley Nuclear Physics department, but it is what first responders use when they approach a situation that they feel may be hazardous.

It measures alpha, beta and gamma rays, just like the other more sophisticated machines.

To confirm these readings, the readings on www.RadiationNetwork.com have been almost exactly the same as well.

These readings, to me, say that any radiation – by the time it reaches the west coast – has been dispersed enough to not change readings substantially.

That’s semi-good news.

The good is that it’s dispersed.

The bad is that there was a massive nuclear disaster and it’s still leaking radiation that shouldn’t be in the environment at all.

Just one more point here, there are a few videos being passed around showing a high Geiger counter reading at some higher elevations (5-6K feet). This is to be expected and is not any indication of a higher amount of radiation.

2. Yes, there is radiation in the rainwater.

The Berkeley Nuclear Physics department reported in mid-April that there was an increase in radiation in the rain water here in Northern California.

An individual or small group of people saw these numbers and decided to do some true, but out of context math.

They took the usual amount of radiation that is normally found in rainwater and then compared it to the amount that was in the rainwater during those specific days.

The increase was 18,000%.

Now, if there was an 18,000% increase in the amount of carbon dioxide in the air, this would be a massive problem (I actually don’t think it’s mathematically possible.)

But, an 18,000% increase of radiation in rainwater, as awful as it sounds, isn’t really that much.

The reason why, is because there’s not really much radiation in rainwater to begin with. So when there is an increase it can seem exponential.

Here’s a good example of why this is relatively insignificant.

Say you had an Olympic sized pool.

In this pool, you added one grain of salt.

This could be – non-mathematically – the amount of radiation that is normally in rain water.

To increase the amount of salt by 18,000%, you’d need to add 180 grains.

As you can see 180 grains don’t significantly change the salinity of the pool, but you have increased the salt content by 18,000%.

I’m not discounting that it’s awful to have radiation in the rainwater, I’m just saying that using out of context numbers like this only creates fear.

Instead of hearing it from me, here’s what the Berkeley Nuclear Physics department had to say about the same 18,000% increase that some media outlets were freaking out about…

“For example, in the rain water we collected in 18 hours between March 17 and March 18 we observe an activity of the isotope of I-131 (Iodine-131) of 4.26 Bq/l. At this level, you would need to drink 632 liters of this rain water to obtain the same radiation effects you obtain on a round-trip flight between San Francisco and Washington D.C. Therefore, the increase in radiation levels in the rain water due to the events in Japan remain extremely small.”

Sometimes I’ve found if you go to the source, you get the real scoop.

3. Yes, there is also radiation on our food and dairy.

The Nuclear department at Berkeley is also monitoring food sources in the Bay Area as well.

There is an increase in radiative materials in these products as well.

The increase again is insignificant.

I took a look at the readings recently and wanted to find the highest amount of exposure for a food that we’d likely eat.

Wild mushrooms on April 2nd came up highest at 7.35 Bq/kg of radioactive Iodine 131.

When stated alone, that seems like a lot doesn’t it?

When put into context, things start to change.

In order to get the same amount of exposure as you would on a flight from San Francisco to Washington D.C. you’d need to eat 150 kg of wild mushrooms. (That’s 330 lbs.)

When put that way, we don’t necessarily need to panic.

But, we do need to be smart.

[You can look at all these food readings here: http://www.nuc.berkeley.edu/node/2525]

So what does this all mean?

Like I said in the beginning of this article…

There is radiation all around us now. It’s in the air, the water, and our food. The only thing we can do about it is be smart, eat mineral rich foods, and take supplements that can help cleanse and detoxify the body. (I’m assuming eating a clean, high raw diet is already a given!)

That’s just about all we can do.

There are limitations to all the data that we’re receiving. (Even from here.)

We do know that radioactive iodine can interfere with the thyroid. We also know other heavy metals – radioactive or not – can interfere with the body’s processes as well.

So what we need to do is take precautionary measures. These are simple and easy to do. We need to eat lots of seaweeds (just not from Japan), foods that contain antioxidants, and metal chelating foods or supplements (chlorella and zeolites.)

I would also avoid dairy for a while as well. You can’t wash the radioactive material out of milk like you can vegetables. (But again, this is a precaution, not a proven method of avoidance.)

Other than that, we can’t run from it. It’s affecting us now and will continue until the reactors are completely under control and unfortunately after that as well due to radioactive half lives.

Be smart, use the tools that you have available and get on with your life.

There are a lot of people out there who are in much greater danger from non-radiative foods and lifestyles.

Let’s turn our energy around to help them out and not worry so much about ourselves.

I want to know your thoughts: Are you doing anything to protect yourself? Or do you think it’s not a big deal?

A Super-Source of Iodine – Radiation Free!

We’ve just brought in a batch of Atlantic Kelp from the pristine waters of the North Atlantic.

The reason why is because we know that many of the kelp sources on the Pacific will be untouchable for a while (at least until the radiation has dispersed in the next few years.)

Right now, if you want to try out this product, you can get a special deal!

Here’s where to go: buy Atlantic Kelp (Kombu) now!

1. Sarah says:

Thank you, Kevin for this information. What you said about the wild mushrooms is so interesting: recently I read an article that said that using mushrooms to clean an area of radiation might be a good idea becasue they soak it up so well (but of course, that also makes it imperative that we know the source of our mushrooms if we are going to eat them, doesn’t it!?). I cannot recall who talked about this – maybe Paul Stamets? (I mean about mushrooms being a possible way to clean up the soilof an area from radiation). A word of caution to everyone: regarding the idea that we should all be taking iodine of some sort: if you have been diagnosed with autoimmune thyroid (Hashimotos) this might not be a good idea unless you were at the site of a radiation meltdown and then it would be the lesser of two evils. This is becasue iodine supplemntation can put an autoimmune thyroid into a thyroid storm (where the immune systems attacks the thyroid even more).

2. Julie Hurley says:

Thanks for this report Kevin!!! It’s SOOOO appreciated! We’re in Michigan; do you recommend the dairy ban over here as well?

3. Betsy says:

thanks for the article. you think it is safe to eat lettuce from california?-I’ve been especially craving spinach. i have planted some here in Maine but not up yet. of course eating it is far more dangerous than traveling through it. for protection…being in Maine we of course eat lots of seaweed!! Miso soup is good. minerals, fulvic acid, sulfur compounds. lots of vit. C. ginseng, reishi mushroom. as many antioxidents as we can!! thanks for the research.

4. Kira says:

Thanks for this. However, I’ve read that there is a tremendous difference in radiation exposure from an air flight, and radiation ingested. You cannot compare the two. Vastly different in their ability to harm the human body. But as you say, we cannot do anything about exposure either way, so we must just accept and take action to keep ourselves healthy.

5. Garrett says:

I can appreciate your no-drama approach to the matter, Kevin.

And, there is one helluva a huge difference between background radiation… or radioactive particles “over there” in the grass… and ingesting the stuff.

Getting radioactive particles INSIDE your body is a HUGE bummer, Doood…

So measuring particles on the ground says NOTHING about what has gotten INSIDE your body!

So, let’s not sweep it all under the rug and go back to sleep, okay? 😉

You say there’s no where to run/hide? I disagree. One can be VERY intelligent about where to go/live/visit. For starters, I would blow off living on the West Coast all together. I don’t care HOW MUCH denial you’re in… more radiation is not good!!

The Southern Hemisphere is going to have LESS radiation fallout overall. For me? I recommend Peru, the Sacred Valley… for a long list of reasons!

Best wishes!

Garrett

6. Thanks Kevin for the info about radiation, You have cleared up a lot of misinformation. Keep up the good work. Clare

7. Joni says:

8. Joe W. says:

Thanks Kevin! That was useful information.

9. adelaide says:

hey Garret,

I completely agree with you!

What do you think about the east coast?

Adelaide

10. Griff says:

I agree with Garrett.

The real problem is when you absorb and assimilate the radioactive particle into your body and it just sits there and irradiates you for months/years. Comparing that to the background radiation of an airplane ride just doesn’t make sense.

I’m in Seattle… Wish i could get out…

11. Dru says:

I love the raw organic milk I get from a local farmer here in Ohio. I’m so VERY bummed about the possibility of not being able to drink it. I have heard two different things regarding milk. One is to avoid it because of the possible contamination and the other is that I should drink it because it is so high in glutathione, which a major antioxidant. (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E_iJyHUP5pg&feature=related) Which would actually helps get rid of radioactive elements that I’m sure I’ll be eating anyway since it’s everywhere. It’s like a catch-22. I guess I can take the supplement or get some more pre-Fukushima whey protein (Mercola’s) before they only have post-Fukushima protein, but I’m going to have to start eating that stuff sooner or later. Pre-Fukushima food won’t last forever.

I wonder how much higher the milk radiation is than the rain water. Are we talking magnitudes higher? Does it make a difference if it is raw or could that be worse because they actually eat grass? I’m so confused and don’t want to face the possibility that I can never drink it again or eat grass fed beef either.

12. To think that I used to eat kelp in the 70s. Wow. Does it taste any better now than it did then?

Seriously, I echo the others who appreciate the level headed article. Many of us have been sitting with bated breath waiting to see what the fallout is going to be.

You’re right. We can only do so much to protect ourselves. Keeping healthy should be the first priority for everyone. And don’t panic unless panic is warranted.

13. PDX Mama says:

OK, so it’s no big deal and we shouldn’t freak out too much. BUT, what happens when you are breathing this stuff in, and eating it and absorbing through your skin from rain water and it’s not just one radioactive toxin but several all at the same time??? Hmmm… Common sense tells me we are screwed.

14. Thank you Kevin, I so appreciate this information. I trust you a lot more than government agencies! Unless things change drastically I have no intention of moving away from California or to stop eating local produce. I have been avoiding dairy and eat mineral rich foods and not letting fear stress me out – at least as harmful as radiation!

15. Jasmine says:

QUESTION: IS freeze-drying safe? Is it a viable way to absorb nutrients?

16. oregano says:

It is better to eat green veggies with small amounts of radiation (as in Kevin’s mushroom example) than to eat junk food that is radiation-free. Look at the bigger picture. There are much worse things that people do to their bodies every day.

17. Brooke says:

I really don’t like when people compare this Fukushima radiation to airplane rides and x-rays and CAT scans. There is no safe radiation level and downplaying it to say there is nothing to worry about because we get more radiation in an airplane is kind of ridiculous. I really like this website and I check it every day, but this kind of stuff is all over the internet. X-rays and CAT scans are bad for you – that’s why they are supposed to be used only when necessary and pregnant women are not supposed to have them. Yes, there is radiation all around us, but the Fukushima radiation is way different than radiation from being high in the atmosphere. The Fukushima radiation is far more nefarious containing compounds that are extremely fatal – like particles from the MOX fuel rods. I have been trying to protect myself from the day this happened. Just because radiation is invisible and there is no escaping it does not mean people don’t need to be worried. We need to stop this madness and end the environment destructive practices on this earth (not just the nuclear industry). I really like David Rainoshek’s article “We are All Fukushima”. It puts a lot of things into context.

18. Cindy says:

You’re so level headed, Kevin. When this first happened, I panicked so much that I became paralyzed in my actions about what to do. Then I went crazy & ordered a bunch of products from a health site, which I then canceled a few days later when I calmed down after seeing some of your posts. I think my health is affected more from all the stress I cause myself. I’m now just eating sensibly & taking some kelp powder, spirulina, & chlorella. I seriously need to get a grip on my stress levels. LOL!

19. Mario S says:

Thanks for the references.
    Zeolite’s negative charge attracts positively charged particles like radiation, pathogens, heavy metals etc.Dr. Howard Peiper, ND wrote a book about it “ZEOLITE, Nature’s Heavy Metal Detoxifier” I’ve seen many people heal their bodies of flu, colds, chest pains and many other ailments. Maybe you could provide this to us.
    Sunshine, courage and love to you all, M

20. Kevin Gianni Kevin Gianni says:

Seems like a few of missed reading this part…

“One in particular is that the Berkeley Nuclear Physics department does not talk about is the ingestion of these radioactive materials and what they do to the body.

But, the truth is, we’re not going to be able to avoid them. It’s like trying to avoid the air.”

Garrett, sure it makes sense to go to the Sacred Valley. I wrote about this in a previous post. For those who can’t (which is about 99%), this is the next best thing.

21. Mary says:

Thanks for the great article, Kevin….I agree….Garrett, we can’t all just pick up and go…..and judge not less it comes back to haunt you!

I have read what some of the heavy hitter nuclear nerds have said about ingesting it, and it is far worse……
    still, paranoia isn’t healthy, and neither is eating increasingly -contaminated- with- a -million -toxins food that’s out there everywhere.

Let’s face it, Mama Earth is in need of so much healing; and maybe this will scare people enough to put an end to nuclear power everywhere.

22. I agree more with Garrett and the others who’ve expressed concern. How much more can our bodies take of radiation? Not much.

Do your research, folks. It’ll make the world of difference.

Be wise and take those precautions mentioned. If you can’t leave like we can’t (we live in Oregon) you can’t worry. We do our best by taking action and praying.

23. John says:

Hi Kevin;

Radiation, in my experience, even in small or so-called insignificant amounts are cumulative in the body and since we will be exposed to radioactive sources for quite some time — a type of radiation that is different than radiation we are exposed to in air travel or other sources — it doesn’t take long to start building up in our bodies. Plus, we are being exposed from multiple sources.

I remember back when nuclear bomb tests were being conducted in Russia and elsewhere and at that time, we had some cattle and they had been drinking some water from a trough of rainwater. (We live here in Washington state.) The rain had become radioactive and they were ingesting that water though I wasn’t aware of it at the time. Anyway, it wasn’t long before they had skin problems and finally we traced the problem to the water. The water was removed and the skin conditions eventually cleared. Nothing else was done. Bodies can adapt.

So even small amounts of that type radiation can have side effects — and cows drink gallons of water per day. So the notion of insignificant or negligible is a false notion, in my view, when taken in the context of repeated exposure, amount of exposure or ingestion, time duration, half-life, health of the bodies, and so on.

I’m not trying to cause fear. We should not fear the radiation we are getting but act in response to it. The body is equipped to handle and utilize small amounts of radiation as well as process it out of the body, but when it gets more than it can handle, it becomes cumulative. We are in those times and we do need to take proactive measures — but not out of fear. If we fear it, we will only cause resistance to it and that in itself will amplify the accumulative process. The better thing to do is to relax to it as best we can and take conscious and intentional control over the process by telling the body to use whatever radiation it may need and discard what it doesn’t need and imagine the radiation leaving the body and going to ground. Good to be barefoot when doing this and not wear rubber shoes. It can also be done in the shower or bath as well. This takes it out of the level of reaction and uncontrolled subconscious programming.

Also, a good source of organically bound minerals or whole food mineral complexes — not those so-called balanced synthetic mineral formulas sold in health food stores and over the internet, but good naturally food based mineral complexes is very important. Synthetic minerals can be of value but not like a whole spectrum of minerals. Good organic foods are also very important and clean fresh water. We need to keep properly hydrated.

Minerals are protective. They can fulfill the bodies needs for nutrients but they also act as a shield against different forms of radiation and electromagnetic frequencies and non-radioactive radiation. They create different frequency responses and resonances in the field around the body which can then act as a shield. Sort of like Star Trek’s ship the Enterprise.

A good seaweed is just fine but we also need to protect the other organs and glands as well.

Finally, as good as minerals are, if there is one thing that I would take over anything else — or in conjunction with other things, which I do as an all species Nutritional Consultant and BioEnergy Analyst, it is to take Vitamin B3 — niacin.

I know this is a rather long post but this, to me, is important because virtually no one knows or understands about this.

Niacin — not niacinamide or flush free niacin but niacin — causes a radiation release within the body — any radiation release. This is the basis for the so-called niacin flush which no one seems to understand why it happens. Well, it is radiation being released from the body from whatever source. So it is a good thing indeed even if uncomfortable at times. It passes. Anyway, it’s the only substance that I know of that has this capability. We have been taking it for many years — and it doesn’t take large doses to get a release.

But every person must make their own decisions about this one since you will not find “scientific” evidence that will support this view since no one has been looking for it nor even considered it. I can only share this information and hope it will be of value, but what anyone does with it is their choice.

Best regards,
    John

24. Freestyler says:

Hi Kevin,

Thanks for the interesting take on things. Now I live in the UK and struggle finding any info on the situation here. Secondly I’ve been taking sea kelp for a while but note that the info on the lables say that it is not suitable for children. Can you tell me why, as I cant seem to find out and want to protect my children.

Peace

25. Marci says:

What about if you are a nursing mom? Our whole family is taking precautions, however I worry about detoxing the radiation right out of my body into my toddlers. Should I be concerned? What do you think Kevin?

26. Vincent says:

Kevin, good comments, good perspective. HOWEVER: if vegetables, as they are growing, take up minerals, water, etc. (and potentially radioactive elements), from the air, the soil, and the environment that they are growing in, and then incorporate these compounds into their bodies, how in the world are you then going to “wash the radioactive material out,” as you say, of your vegetables?!

• Kevin Gianni Kevin Gianni says:

@Vincent: This was short term advice. Yes, I know plants absorb minerals… As time passes, days and weeks, the amount of radioactive material decreases, so it’s likely that due to soil conditions, plant uptake, and weather conditions that these plants may not take in too much. To prove that though, we’d need to test them. 🙂

Regardless, unless you’re moving to the Southern Hemisphere, there’s not much we can do besides my recommendations above. (Eventually some of the radiation will make it’s way there too…)

27. Vincent says:

Anyone trust in homeopathy? If so, then you can be certain that every single place on the planet has now received a homeopathic dose of radiation from Japan (among many other things since the beginning of time!). IF you are concerned about this fact (I am not), then I recommend that you look into getting yourself a homeopathic antidote for radiation exposure (a friend of mine has made one already). And take Kevin’s advice: “Be smart, use the tools that you have available and get on with your life.”
    And, above all, r–e—l—-a——x — it’s very, VERY good for you. Even better than raw certified organic spinach!

28. Mike Nadeau says:

I live in Maine and thought I was relatively safe eating north Atlantic fish and seaweeds. However, I recently listened to an interview with Beyond Nuclear and now I’m not so certain. The key issue here is the “recylcing” of nuclear waste. Apparently, France is the world’s leader in recycling nuclear waste with the end result being Plutonium. Now plutonium is scary stuff, essentially one step from a nuclear bomb. But to make matters worse, all of the waste water which is used in the “recycling” process becomes radioactively contaminated and is then piped underground and dumped directly into the ocean! Ocean currents then carry this junk to the north eastern Canadian seaboard. Apparently, the French are lobbying to do more of this “reycling” in Great Britain and also the US. Imagine how easily people might embrace the idea of recycling this waste without knowing the facts.

Bottom line, there is no “safe” nuclear energy and it should be abandoned IMMEDIATELY. We must learn to live without it.

29. Sundaram says:

I am wondering how safe are supplements that we buy from the west coast now? Like, right after Fukushima, I ordered some kelp powder from a health food store where it was already on the shelf. But as fallout is in the air, is it already contaminated? What about other vitamins and minerals that we order from the west coast? Though they are in bottles, are they polluted now? And that means, if they are polluted, it will be for some time…
    How can we know what is safe and what isn’t?
    Thanks so much for your help.
    Sundaram

30. Gen says:

Thank you John for your excellent info. I do avoid Niacin BECAUSE of the flush factor — now I understand it and will take it. Also Brooke — agree with you.

And thanks to Kevin too for all your research.

31. Dawn Gifford says:

I think you will find this video from Fairewinds extremely informative (and credible).

“Where is all that Fukushima radiation going, and why does it matter?”