How to Change the Way We Eat with Howard Lyman (Part 1) : Exclusive Renegade Health Interview

Tuesday Apr 26 | BY |

Howard Lyman Annmarie Gianni Kevin Gianni
Ann, Howard and I in Ft. Bragg. (2009)

I love Howard Lyman!

Ever since we saw him speak in Ft. Bragg a few years ago, Annmarie and I have been talking highly of his work and his mission.

Last week, I got Howard on the phone to talk about the strain our agricultural system has on the environment. Today, I have Part 1 for you.

In this segment, Howard talks about our food system, how it can change, and who we need to influence most. It might not be who you think…

I’ve added some comments and notes that you can read after you listen to this 20 minute discussion.

Listen to Part 1 here:

mad cowboy book

Click the play button to start the call:

Download

Here are some notes that I want to share with you about this first part of the interview with Howard Lyman:

Where does your food come from?

In our interview, Howard Lyman reiterates how important it is to know where your food comes from.

You and I know this, but most everyone else does not.

Here’s an example…

Annmarie and I watched the second show of the Food Revolution with Jamie Oliver on Hulu.com last night.

I like watching this program. It’s tremendously inspiring.

In fact, it sometimes makes me think that Renegade Health is the minor leagues compared to what he is doing. And it’s true.

I need to step it up.

Anyway, in this episode Jaime is working with a fast food restaurant owner who doesn’t know where his food comes from.

Well, that’s not exactly true. He knows it comes in on a truck and that it’s cheap, but that’s about it.

It’s almost painful to listen to the guy as he hems and haws about the food and why his customers only want a good price for food – not high quality.

I know a large number of my friends and family members don’t know where their food comes from too.

In fact, as diligent as I am about food, sometimes I don’t know where my tamari or other condiments come from (I mean, it says on the label, but do we really know?!?)

The higher the percentage of food that comes from a source you know and trust, the greater the chances are that you’re eating good food.

Our job is to pass this along to those who don’t know or understand this concept.

Is the answer is to focus on the kids?

Howard Lyman explains that the way we can change the way we eat is to focus on educating the kids.

He’s partially right.

Yes, the children, if given healthy food, will eat it.

But on the other side, the parents, when looking at their budget, will continue to buy whatever they can afford.

Yes, the kids do need to learn how to eat healthy. They need to learn how to garden and they need to learn how to prepare healthier options.

Their influence will rub off on their parents if they’re even the least bit strong-willed.

But the educational process needs to include everyone in the community.

Just teaching the kids is a start, but more people need to be involved.

The parents need to learn how to buy healthy foods at a lower price and the government and respective agencies need to make sure that food prices are lowered (or junk food prices are raised in accordance to their true cost.)

Kids don’t bring the food into the house. The parents do.

To be fair to Howard, this is (in total) a 50 minute interview and this topic is too large to cover in that time. I’m sure he understands this too!

Here are some facts from the call:

– The weather in the arctic has increased from 4 to 7 degrees in the last century.

– A review of greenhouse gas emissions found that 51% of all global greenhouse gases are coming from livestock. (The United Nations Food and Agriculture Organization (FAO) had initially said 18%, which is more than all automobiles.)

Notable Quotes:

“We have the best government money can buy.”

“If you put good food in front of hungry kids, they will eat it.”

Part 2 is coming up tomorrow! In this segment, Howard will speak about family farms and other solutions to creating a better relationship with our food.

I want to know your thoughts: What do you think of Food Revolution? Have you watched it?

Do You Know Where Your Seaweed Comes From?

We do!

We’ve even run tests on it.

Our seaweeds come from the Western Irish Coast in pristine Atlantic waters. We’ve run heavy metal tests and our Irish Moss and Atlantic Kelp (Kombu) has come up extremely clean.

We’ve just brought in a shipment of Kelp and Irish Moss so you can be sure you’re getting the best of the best.

Our seaweed is harvested to order, so it’s as fresh as you can get.

It’s also from clean waters in the Atlantic, so you don’t have to worry about radiation contamination considering a large amount of the world’s kelp comes from Japan. (Nori as well!)

For this week only, we have a special on our new Kelp product as well as a new size bag for our Irish Moss. Now you can get more for a better price!

Here’s where to get one of these products and try them out now…

1. Yes I’ve seen Jamie Oliver’s Food Revolution and am a huge fan of his cooking as well as this show. He has inspired me to get creative in the kitchen, especially when it comes to cooking with healthy whole foods and for me has been so, so important in my health recovery.

To learn recently about his Food Revolution is amazing. I have been his site and signed the petition. Even though I don’t have children myself, I strongly feel it’s a cause all parents should become involved with. If my parents only did.. Wow! It’s huge.

If there is anything I can do, I’m on board.

2. Coco says:

I don’t watch TV very much so no, I have not seen Jamie’s show but good for him for using his celebrity to do something positive for kids.
    I have seen Howard speak though (I can’t quite put my finger on where it was) and even though I am already a vegetarian I found his message inspiring. I think that’s he’s right about feeding kids good food. If they grow up with that as all they know I think they will always eat very well in their lives, that they will have a consciousness about food in the back of their minds forever. And as for what we can afford as parents, it’s about restructuring your life to accommodate your needs. I do not need a car, TV, fancy clothes, shoes, toys for the kids or myself. I have a make do, do without, use it up, wear it out philosophy that makes it easy to afford good stuff on an extremely limited budget. There is always sprouting, growing your own food in containers in a window or on a porch or any scrap of space, farmer’s markets, buying on sale, buying in season, etc. Being frugal is an art, one that’s easy to learn thankfully, when one has the will. So yes, educating our kids and feeding them well is the path to a healthier world.

3. Velda says:

Most of what Mr. Lyman says has merit. However, his conclusion about “global warming” has been debunked by reputable scientists; and it has been shown that those scientists that were responsible for spreading this propaganda out and out lied. Do we negatively impact our environment? For sure. However, we do not and I feel we cannot affect the climate. Since the dawn of time climate has gone through many cycles – and some much more violent than what we are experiencing now. It will continue to be that way until the end of time.

My Lyman clearly states the dangers regarding our factory farming, the use of harmful chemicals and pesitcides and many unhealthy practices we have adopted from the food we eat, the water we drink, the chemicals we clean with and the materials we make our clothes out of. It is criminal. I so agree that we should stop subsidizing these activities. Thank you for bring this information, Kevin and Annmarie. You guys do a great job.

4. dave wray says:

Wow, it all is coming down to cow farts.

5. abbie says:

I think it is great that you are sourcing kelp from Ireland, because its definitely safer for people with regards to the radiation issue. But, I would say that I think it is a bit much to argue that Northern Irish coasts are ‘pristine’, because is anywhere that ‘pristine’? I love NI, and I’m from the UK, but we aren’t some distant backwater devoid of the plagues of industrialism. I know its being pernickety, and sure, the Atlantic Ocean is a pretty good at diluting, but do we really need to hype with ‘this-is-like-GOLD’ kind of marketing? I mean for one, the gulf stream runs right from the BP spill up towards the UK…ok, so I’m probably exaggerating, but I think people need to know just plain and simple that it is high quality, and not irradiated. I love your show, though, you are both a great inspiration.

6. Sherri says:

Great talk! When will we change..?
    Government shut down threat was an excellent example. When people finally get reality slapped in the face, like in the wallet, then they stepped up some. I say some because it was still not enough to make that large of an impact yet…! I happen to think that is still on the rise and will awaken people more.

Most do know that “Fast Foods..etc” are not healthy, but it’s the “don’t ask, don’t do, don’t tell” issue and most are willing to except the repercussions of ill health also. Our entire society (mainly American) has been brainwashed to trust all the wrong things. Not realizing that all those things where solely created only to get the “few” wealth barons even richer, at our own expense. It’s not just food – it’s oil, outrageous amounts of plastics, beauty products… tooooooo many to list!

Everyone knows about “Mad Cow” and still eat meats, even more? Lifestyle is like religion, nearly impossible to change, because people are too afraid to be out cased in their families, communities, etc. So it’s just easier to leave it alone. It takes a great amount of courage, strength and self-love to make a change with in a person’s own life.

It boils down to FEAR….
    As we change, the world will also,
    “One person at a time” be the change…!

7. Del says:

You do great work guys. But I must take exception to the global warming thing. It’s simply untrue as poster Velda #3 says.

“51% of all greenhouse gases come from livestock” is an incomplete thought and VERY misleading. What it should say is 51% of all ANTHROPOLOGICAL greenhouse gases come from livestock.

However, ALL anthropological greenhouse gases combined in total amount to about 3% of all greenhouse gases in the atmospheric cycle. It’s very small in the big picture and has VERY little effect overall.

8. DENISE says:

Right On! You guys rock! Thanks so much for spreading the word. Everything that Howard has to say is just what the world needs to hear. Keep up the work you renegades!
    Denise

9. Lorien says:

Humans have in the recent past, done a horrid job of respecting and caring for the earth and the other life forms we share it with. That said, global warmig is not a human issue. The truth in VERY simple form is that the earths temp. is like the tide. The ice age was low tide. Not long ago where I live was under a mountain of ice. No one knows what high tide looks like. Or how long it will take to get there. There is much we need to do to mend the damage we have caused, step one is to do no more harm. But even if we were able to completly undo all we have done and restore all the extint life forms, the earth would continue to warm. It’s just the way it is.

I love this fellows thoughts. Looking forward to part two.

10. Mary says:

To me it doesn’t matter where the gasses come from……if it makes people RESPECT THE EARTH AND COWS then a monumental job has been done.

And all this debunking has been proven to be perpetrated by the perps anyway. But still, the point is that there is at this time insane amnesia among the people in regards to the earth and food. Why mess up the possibility of someone, maybe many ones waking up?

What is more important, a stat or a clean and honored earth?
    (All cow farts aside)

11. Martha;) says:

Jamie’s show is groundbreaking and cuts right to the heart of what we need in this country! It is because of people like him and you and Annemarie that the news of good health is spreading like wildfire! Thank God for all of you and for all you do! Keep it up and blessing to you all!

12. Ira Edwards says:

All the carbon in an animal comes from plants that take it from the atmosphere. Animals are a carbon sink that reduces atmospheric carbon. Any beginner studying the carbon cycle should see that, and anyone who blames animals for greenhouse gases is not qualified to talk on the subject.
    Fossil fuel use is a different issue, and that can cause global warming.

13. LuAnn says:

I too enjoy watching Jamie Oliver’s Food Revolution on Hulu.com. I watched last season as well. He really hits the school systems where it counts and I just hope L.A. will get with the program soon. The segment about “Pink Slime” being allowable by our own government as an additive to ground beef was an eye opener. I am glad I haven’t eaten beef in many years and I bet a lot of people became vegetarian after watching that episode. I would have if I weren’t already one.

14. Valorie says:

Love, love, love Jaime’s Oliver’s Food Revolution. Kev and Annmarie, be sure to watch his first show. He does an interesting bit with a live cow and literally shows the crud that goes into supermarket hamburger. Yuck! I saved it on my DVR to show to my teenage sons. So hard to get through to them that the food they eat influences how they feel and their long-term health. Blessings, Val

15. Kevin:

In our search for the best of the human species with good intention for the earth, you are really doing a wonderful job of giving us his introduction. God bless you both for all the wonderful things you do for the earth and its precious life that is 99.99% at the risk of survival.

16. Selina says:

Mary – Haha, well said and I totally agree with you.

The amount of methane that comes from farms might be a bit of an exaggeration, but the numbers are still high.

We should definitely not forget all the other problems when it comes to the meat and milk industry: pollution of waters, too much manure, erosion, water use, ethical problems, antibiotics, production of animal feed which could be fed to humans instead, land use and the spreading of diseases etc. etc.

All these problems are a result of people eating too much animal products which leads to production of these products on such a HUGE scale that it becomes a major problem to our environment and our health not to mention the horrible treatment of animals.

17. Scott Curran says:

Velda and Del: that is great to know! Lets go burn plastic and not even worry about the nuclear plant accident, since us humans cant have any impact on the environment.

Get real guys…Think about what your saying. Even if your 3% figure is correct, you better believe that a 3% increase in unnatural greenhouse gases every year has a cumulative impact.

Velda and Del please start to think about directing your energy towards loving others and mother earth, not saying things and finding figures and scientists that say things that help you sleep at night.

Kevin: I agree with abby.. the atlantic might be cleaner than other areas of the ocean, but its from the same ocean Kevin and eventually will be as polluted as japanese seaweed 🙁
    There is nothing ‘pristine’ left and its wrong to tell us otherwise.

18. Scott Curran says:

Selina mentioned manure. Most manure is piled as high as possible and just sits there.. all over the U.S. and leaches into groundwater, breads disease, etc.

This excrement is left completely untreated, unlike human waste which we treat and bring up to a certain standard before releasing into the environment.

There is nothing special about cow poop that makes it safer than our poop… there is just too much of it and would cost too much to treat. So we just throw it on top of the old poop.

peace

19. Anna21 says:

Another great article. It is so important to know where your food comes from, by getting to know your local farmers, visiting the farmer’s markets and joining a co-op or CSA. Also, it is easy to do a little container gardening, even if you only have a little outdoor space (or ask a neighbor/ friend/ relative to use their yard, & share the harvest with them). I am growing dwarf blueberry bushes, summer squash, ligonberries (a cold-hardy compact bush), peas, lettuce, claytonia, kiwano melon, herbs and a few other things. I only have a little tiny space (about 16 x 5 ft), but that space is packed with plants. I got 2-3 yr old berry plants from ediblelandscapingonline so I will have a nice berry harvest this summer, instead of getting a little bare root that may take 2-3 yrs to produce berries. You can also grow vertically (you can even build a vertical grow system yourself with landscaping fabric and wood from the Home Depot). You can even grow lettuce and herbs indoor with cheap grow lights (got two 48″ T12 bulbs for 20 total, and the light fixture was $20) from the Home Depot (no need to spend $100’s on grow lights). You could probably also grow dandelion and claytonia indoors (haven’t tried that yet). There is a lot of great info online about growing container gardening. It is not that hard. Give it a try, and good luck!

20. Berries says:

Another great interview. Thank you so much for all that you are doing. Howard is fantastic.

21. rachel says:

I have had the pleasure of hearing Lyman speak 2 or 3 times, he is honest and right on. I believe he is Vegan, not vegetarian.
    The fact IS that dairy and meat eating has been negatively affecting the health of the planet for many years. Look at the fast food restaurants like McD’s who are cutting down the rainforest to plant grains for beef for hamburgers.
    Yes humans are taking a huge toll on this planet in many ways and we need to change the way we do things and treat the planet and agriculture repectfully, not blindly. We all live downstream… namaste’, rachel

22. Norka says:

I’m actually very much interested in this topic, because I partially work with my fiancé’s family -beside our artisan raw food treats production-, we provide food for school from the age of 6 to 18, and they also operate a self service restaurant at the local college. So we could have a huge influence on kids you may think, but my first tryings faild at the teenaged girls. They were just not interested in getting good, healthy and also tasty food of mainly fresh ingredients. What they want is meat and potatoes. Soups without the artificial additions (because we stopped using these in the kitchen) were untasty for them, which doesn’t surprise me. A couple of weeks ago I was silly enough to try some stupid muffin and a week before another product (I wouldn’t call it food), and these basically numbed my tongue and my mouth. ARomas and stuff. I don’t need to tell you that for me it was impossible to finish these stuffs, but it’s said to imagine that people eat these things every day. Of course they don’t feel flavours without these added things.
    On the other hand now here are many organizations in Hungary which want to help people learn about this product, and we possibly will take part in some of these programs. I hope we can do some efficient steps soon.
    I might try to get this book and read it.

23. Norka says:

Soory, not about this product, but I was going to say that these organizations help people to learn about this mentality, and options.

24. Isabelle says:

Hello Kev and Annmarie, as always that you for all the wonderful work you do.
    My thoughts on junk food world wide:
    it is not just in America that people are fat. I live in France 2 miles from the Swiss border. Europeans, all countries are 70% overweight. They are 10lbs to 100lbs overweight. There are few morbidly obese but there are some. In the US people are 30lbs to 600lbs overweight and many have no idea of what really food is or where it comes from. Like ketchup coming from tomatoes or fries coming from potatoes.
    American school lunches are appalling. I think this is done on purpose: to sell stuff & to make money for corporations. The government knows full well that the crap food they feed children is bad. But they also see it as a way of making lots of money for big pharma once all these people are good & sick. It’s just money money money and then let them die a slow excruciating death from diabetes heart disease arthritis etc.
    In Europe – all countries, you find the same MSG, aspartame, food colorings, food additives etc that you find in American food. In spite of regional foods & national foods, you find the same pizzas and coke zero and McDonalds in every country.
    Give me a break but this has got to be on purpose – to reduce world population but to make money from the masses before they die.
    It’s disgusting….so it’s up to us to educate children and parents and others about what REAL food is and how it can heal your body instead of making you grossly fat and sick.