The Real Facts on The Dangers of High Blood Pressure : The Renegade Health Show #799

Wednesday Apr 13 | BY |

Last Monday, we took an amazing bus tour of the Bay Area raw food hot spots…

We went to Cafe Gratitude, True North Health Center and Lydia’s Kitchen. The tour was organized by Joni Sare and Darcy Crosman who are the leaders of the South and East Bay Raw Food Meetups.

I have to say, it was a blast!

In the next three days, I’m going to give you some highlights from Dr. Alan Goldhamer’s talk at True North because it was fun, engaging and I think very important to share.

Your question of the day: What is your blood pressure? High? Perfect? Low?

I have a couple of commercials here for you…

If you’re in the Bay Area and want to meet up with other health foodies, you can join the South Bay or East Bay (or both) Meetup Groups.

Click here for South Bay
Click here for East Bay

If you want to learn more about True North Health Center, click here.

If you want to learn about the Bay Area Green Tours – who provided the bus and the platform for us to do this tour – click here.

1. Amber says:

If you are looking for a great natural food store in Marin Good Earth is the best. I used to work there and one of the owner’s Mark Squire is a great guy and really looks into what is carried in the store. They have great food there for lunch or dinner as well. 🙂

2. leah says:

is there any way to get a copy of the figures he presented? i could really use these when communicating with my friends and family…

3. Jana says:

Did he say 90/60 is the optimal level? Does it change with age? My mom never had high bp until she took vioxx, which was pulled from the market years ago, yet she continues with bp meds to this day. She’s usually around 110/60 and she’s extremely tired all the time.

Also, did he say what is the threshhold bp reading for needing medicine?

4. Jill says:

Are you showing the next part to hear the final piece about the BP? What does he suggest people do with BP issues? What happened with the study (water fast, SOF, etc.)- where can we read it?

Thanks!
    Jill

5. Jim says:

so how are we supposed to obtain optimal BP if we are on a BP med (which is artificially keeping my BP at 120/80)? What is the plan?

6. Stanley Lewis says:

I’m working down my blood pressure with a couple of herb products from India. I’m hearing from Doctors that normal blood pressure is 120/80 being optimal and 130 over 85 being normal. I’ve never heard 90/60…what is the source of this information?

7. Andrew says:

I’ve generally been labelled perfect blood pressure, but pulse has been a bit high… But, according to Alan, I’d still be a bit high on the pressure… Interesting ideas presented here…

8. casey says:

i have no idea honestly

9. tboi says:

hiya people, my whole life my blood pressure has been 90/60 it pretty much never changes and I’m 50 …i don’t get colds or anything never miss work … i suppose I’m a bit boring…peace love & avocados…tboi…and i really missed Annmarie … see i’m a chef…thinking of getting raw food certified, it only makes sense… her smile & big doe brown eyes are a side benefit…

10. tboi says:

ooh ya kev yer a cutie too..

11. Donaji says:

This was an amazing talk! So much information, I love his enthusiasm…It was great to share all that with you guys and with all the awesome raw folks from the Bay 🙂

12. Lorien says:

I have no idea. On the rare occasion I need to see a doctor my pressure is off the charts because I panic at the doctors. It generally drops about 30 points while I’m there as I begin to relax. But it’s not possible to get a true reading.

Because I really don’t know I have always eaten as if I did. And I get plenty of exercise and meditate.

13. Simon says:

Mine is around 128/70 – is this bad that the diastolic (the 70) is so much lower than the systolic (the 128) compared to the average 120/80?

14. izzy says:

varies between 120/78 to 154/100. I’m starting to eat lightly cooked onions and garlic in the mornings to see if it has any affect. Can’t tolerate raw onions and garlic by themselves. What does True North suggest?

15. arlene says:

Should you take BP medication if the pressure is only high on waking up.

16. Sue says:

Last time I checked it was 116/64. That’s probably not high, but am not sure how close to “normal” it is! At least now, both arms have about the same numbers showing up; it used to be that my two arms would have a spread of 10-15 digits.

17. Mara Mor says:

My BP is perfect.

18. sheri says:

Only when I was pregnant (the last one 9 years ago) did it go very high, the highest I remember was 220 over 138, I had to be on bed rest completely during this time. It is better now about 130 over 90, My children are healthy and fine, but I do feel it caused some damage to the heart, I eat a healthy hi-raw diet, but if I sneak something bad in there, which I never do now anymore, I can feel pressure in the heart. This healthy diet I really think keeps me going.(need to work on being more regular with exercise.) Life is so busy.
    Thanks for all the info, and helping others to be healthy.:)

19. Jenny says:

What a great clip. The explanation on life expectancy is fantastic and I’ll be showing this to some of my 40+ year old friends who have been on blood pressure meds for years. BP is 135/80…need more organic fresh fruit and veg!

20. For most of my life mine was low. Now I understand it was a symptom of my adrenal fatigue, dizziness, light headedness etc. Have no idea where I’m at now. I would love to come down to the Bay Area some time and try out a raw foods restaurant. It’s been on my list for some time. 🙂

21. Lola says:

I was diagnosed with high BP as a teenager at 150/90!!! In my 20s I went through tests and ruled out problems with heart and kidneys. Doc said my type BP was termed “essential hypertension” because they didn’t (still don’t) know what causes it. Doc said to cut out salt (sodium chloride)which I did for 2 yrs, but no change in BP. Ate lots of veggies. Wasn’t overweight but got 15 lbs lower than high school weight…still no change. (My mother said I looked like a Holocaust survivor!) In my 50s I landed in E.R twice with BP of 200+/200+ and I probably should have died. I almost died at one point from a “harmless” water pill for BP (which removed the absolutely essential potassium from my body! I went into a fetal position and felt like the end was near. Other BP meds gave me terrible side effects as well. No one gave me advice about nutritional changes, but at that point I took responsibility for my own health. Read a lot of health info. Learned about omega 3 fatty acids before it became so commonly known. Started avoiding hydrogenated fats and took in flax oil. THAT made the biggest difference. My irregular heartbeat has NEVER bothered me since. With plenty of flax oil and supplementing with magnesium/potassium as well as using virgin coconut oil my health improved almost overnight! I believe HEALTHY fats are NOT to be avoided. Too often I hear health professionals advocating a low-fat/ no-fat diet. THAT is a heart killer!!! We NEED the good fats to assimilate the fat soluable vitamins like A and D. I also take an herbal cardio supplement now. Today my BP is 110/73. After struggling all my life with high BP I still can hardly believe it at age 67. At last my BP is normal and I have no more headaches. I use a bit of Celtic sea salt now when I wish–instead of industrial salt. Eliminating salt did not help me, but adding the balancing minerals to my diet made the difference. What our industrial complex has done to our “food” chain is the most collosal danger to our health. Blessings to all.

22. James Valentine says:

138/80 with pulse of 50. If I had a BP of 90/60 I would pass out every time I got up from sitting or bending over. My BP went very high when I stopped meat for 6 months. B12 dropped to a very low level. I need a small amount of meat (2 oz) or so each day to keep the B12 up. There is a relationship between B12, homocysteine, and BP. But I still need three BP meds to keep the BP at the current range. I am 70, physically very active, and only weigh 152 pounds for some one 70 inches tall.

23. Chelsea says:

What is the best way to measure blood pressure? Time, pre- or post-workout, and do I need one of those arm-squeezie-devices or can I do it at home by counting my pulse etc?

24. Chelsea says:

I also wonder about the links between coffee addiction to HPB… I mean, is it actually even possible to drink, say, one cup of coffee per day and have perfect or ideal blood pressure? Anyone? My diet is pretty damn good, raw vegan etc, but coffee is my vice (I manage a coffee shop!) and my concern about this tiny vice is growing recently…

25. Chelsea says:

One more thing! What is the chemical reason for salt intake increasing blood pressure?! I read this everywhere, but can’t find actually WHY…

26. Kathleen Blanc says:

My blood pressure is perfect. The only time that it was high and the Doctor wanted to give me medication for the high blood pressure was when I was on anti-depressants. I would not take another medication and just as soon as I was able to wean myself off of the anti-depressant using essential oils, my blood pressure came into the perfect range once again, where I have always been before and continue to be.

27. Lola says:

I just listened to the BP video again, and have some MAJOR QUESTIONS to Dr. Goldhamer! Please bear with me.

What I say at the end of this post is the most important, and I would love to see some discussion. Please comment on this… Kevin or anyone???

In my younger years I WAS put on BP meds when my readings were lower than Dr.Goldhamer said were normally treated — and with disastrous results. Recently I read where the govt. is actually wanting to declare BP readings “normal” at much lower levels so that the pharmaceutical industry will benefit from MORE U.S. citizens being prescribed BP medications!! It’s all about the money, honey! BP CAN be too low for some people, but what does the govt. care about that as long as they can peddle their drugs?!!!

My mother had a stroke at 37 (from a blood clot to the brain) but her BP was NORMAL or on the low side all her life. Then in her 80s she had ongoing hemorrhagic strokes for 3 years which finally caused her death. It was a terrible way to live and die at the end. I’ve read lately that it’s not cholesterol or necessarily high BP that causes strokes and/or heart attacks…but INFLAMMATION! I’d like to see/hear some feedback on this idea. There is a sort of web which develops in the blood from inflammation (as I understand) which causes the “slow-down” of blood flow and higher blood viscosity. The blood becomes “thicker” in a way of speaking, and clots can easily form and “get stuck” in the web. This theory postulates that this is why there are so many UNEXPLAINED heart failures today. This theory says LOOK AT THE BLOOD itself. It holds the answer.

Please comment ANYONE!!!!!!!!!

28. Sharon says:

@Chelsea. Salt is regulated by our kidneys, excess is passed via urine. If there is more salt than our kidneys can handle, it ends up in our bloodstream. Salt attracts water. More water in the blood increases the volume and raises blood pressure.

29. Lola says:

To Chelsea #16:
    You can get a simple BP measuring device to use at home. It is a wrist cuff and costs a lot less (about $30-$40?) than those they use at the doctor office. I synchronized mine with my doctor’s and it was very very close. She said it was fine!

About coffee consumption: It’s my opinion that coffee used MODERATELY (1-2 cups daily) by most people is not a problem. All the additives (cream, sweeteners, flavors etc.) are usually more destructive than the coffee. But some people are more sensitive and should avoid coffee altogether. Monitor yourself and your Blood Pressure. It’s better to drink a green smoothie than to get a “boost” from caffeine which is simply a stimulant, not a health and energy booster.

30. Sarah says:

Caffeine can most definitely raise your blood pressure. There’s a great book called “What Your Doctor Does Not Tell You About Blood Pressure” by Dr. Mark Houston. Mark is the Associate Clinical Professor of Medicine at Vanderbilt University and the Director of the Hypertension Institute. He is a really cool guy who is very much into nutrition. In his book, he talks about food and he says there are only certain cases of hypertension (high blood pressure) which will be affected by sodium.It is a great book and essential reading for anyone who has high blood pressure. One of the most interesting features of this book is the part where he correlates certain foods with certain blood pressure medications. (In other words, “this food does the same thing as this medicine”, and so on). It would be really cool if you could interview him, Kevin.

31. Sarah says:

Lola: I just read your comment. Yes, inflammation is considered to be the real culprit in a lot of degenerative diseases today. In fact, it is now thought that high cholesterol happens because of inflammtion. (Cholesterol is actually an anti-inflammatory substance). Blood test markers that indicate inflammation include homocysteine, CRPhs, fibrinogen, Apolipoprotein(a)and indirectly, looking at your insulin levels (for insulin resistance). Get Mark Houston’s book (as I mentioned above). He talks about “Endothelium Dysfunction” in it, which refers to the state of health of the lining of the blood vessels and he talks about foods that do the same thing as the medications that doctors put people on.

32. oreganol says:

Mine’s around 120/80, although it fluctuates a lot around those numbers. I’ve had my BP tested about 30-40 times in the last year and it’s ranged from 105/70 to 130/90, but 80% of the time it’s been around 120/80.

In case you’re wondering why I get my BP tested so often, it’s because I had an arm injury that I needed physiotherapy for and the hospital said it was their policy to check everyone’s BP eevry time they came, even if they came every day.

This seems to be standard practice in hospitals in Thailand. When you arrive you will have your BP taken before seeing the doctor. Often you will have your temperature, weight and height taken as well. I think all doctors are based at hospitals and not seperated into different clinics, as they are in the UK.

33. I’ve always had fairly low blood pressure. Enough so that I always get a head rush when I stand up 🙁 I’ve been told to use a bit more salt, get lots of water, eat more ginger and avoid too much onions and garlic.
    This isn’t a terribly common problem for other people though, so some very helpful info in there, thanks!

34. Thomas says:

If you want to check your BP without purchasing a kit, or visiting a clinic, you can test it for free at Walmart. Right next to where they sell the drugs there is a chair and a tester you just stick your arm into. It’s fast and free. 🙂

35. Lola says:

THOMAS…you are so right about testing BP for free at most drug counters — not only at Walmart. I was doing just that one day when a mother and her little girl stood a few feet from where I was sitting…..staring at me. It made me nervous…and nerves don’t help a BP reading!!! So I asked rather nervously if I could help them. The mother said her child was curious…and could she watch me? I asked as nicely as I could to be left alone, please! Sheesh! That’s why I like testing at home.

Thank you, SARAH, for suggesting Dr. Mark Houston’s book. I’ll see if I can get it.

36. Millicent says:

my BP is normal: 103/62 pulse73. Visits to the doctor makes it high. I take Red Yeast Rice from time to time to make sure it stays normal.

37. lisa says:

…interesting. i always thought mine was too low (95/70) because it is so different from anyone else i know, but he calls it optimal. YOGA! YOGA!

i really think it’s more yoga than diet. for a long time, i was a salt freak too, with parents with high blood pressure, but still had very low BP myself. i’ve since cut WAY back, but i’m still convinced that you CANNOT underestimate the role of YOGA and meditation in lowering BP.

38. Guy in NM says:

Since I’ve been using grounding technology – about 2 months, my BP has gone from the old normal 120/75 to 80, to 90/65 pulse 63. I was worried that earth grounding might be harming me because of (I believed) too low of blood pressure. I know now I have moved from a “normal” range of BP to “optimal”. I don’t have any issues of dizziness or light headedness.

I sleep grounded and have a grounding mat under my desk. I keep my shoes off unless I’m meeting with customers. Check out the Earthing research at earthinginstitue.org.

Thanks Kevin. I can continue to rest easy.

39. Guy in NM says:

Oops! That should be: earthinginstitute.org.

40. Kristine says:

Interesting to hear about the grounding lowering blood pressure. I sleep that way now and have a mat. My blood pressure is good. But I have a good story. My brother who works as a bartender, can’t afford health insurance, but takes good care of himself including going to a gym where he can monitor his blood pressure. He was speaking with some rich guy client bragging about his blood pressure being ‘perfect’ on medication, ie. 120/80. So my brother retorted, “Well I liked the symmetry of my last reading which was 99/66 without medication.” (hee, hee!) As you always say Kev, health is real wealth. I should add that he is almost 60.

41. terry h says:

My BP is 150/100. I do take medication and suffer from the effects. I have been told that chelating will help to reduce high BP. Does anyone have any experience with oral or intravenous chelation? thanks