The Top 5 Kitchen Gadgets for Healthy Eating : Renegade Health Exclusive Article

Wednesday Apr 6 | BY |

vitamix very old
The first Vitamix blenders were sometimes mistaken for UFOs.

Whether you are on the raw food diet, the vegan diet or a healthy, whole food, organic diet, you probably spend some decent time in the kitchen…

Even I spend a little time preparing smoothies and juices (that’s just about all I’m capable of… LOL!)

When we were out on the road a big question we would get is this one, “what are your top 5 kitchen gadgets?”

This list has been cultivating for a while and I’ve even mentioned some of these before, but over time you fall in and out of love with certain machines and tools. This list contains the kitchen gadgets that we’re still in love with and have used almost every day for years.

So here are the Top 5 Kitchen Gadgets for Healthy Eating…

Top Kitchen Gadget #1 – Vitamix Blender

The high speed Vitamix blender, I feel, is the most important kitchen tool you can use to help support your health journey.

The reason the Vitamix is the top dog on this list is because we use it almost every day and it is so versatile.

You can make smoothies, juices, sauces, dressings, flours, and many more things with this dream machine. (Yes, I did say “dream machine.”)

We love ours so much that we even take it with us on trips and vacations – though unfortunately, it still has to work. LOL!

There are other high speed blenders, but we’ve found the Vitamix more capable and easier to use – particularly when you’re jamming two heads of lettuce into your smoothie.

You can get away with using a lesser blender for a while, but you won’t get the same texture the Vitamix produces and you may run the risk of burning it out long before the Vitamix will even have a scratch.

What I also like about Vitamix are the customer support stories I hear about them. At least 9 out of 10 people I’ve talked to who have had an issue with their machine have a great story to tell about how the people at Vitamix handled it perfectly.

A Vitamix blender will cost you over $400, but look at this as a long term investment. It will last you 10 or more years – even if you use it every day (and if it doesn’t they have a warranty that will cover it!)

(Click here to get a special deal when you buy a Vitamix blender)

Top Kitchen Gadget #2 – A Good Knife

A good, sharp knife is number two because Annmarie couldn’t be without one.

Getting a great knife, or set of knives, is essential to making your food prep enjoyable.

Even I can tell the difference between a good and a bad knife. A good knife adds efficiency to your food preparation and it also feels really good in your hand.

There are a few types of knives that are good. Annmarie really likes her Global brand knife, which is sharp and lightweight. You can get a good Global knife for $100-150 and if you take care of it, it will last a lifetime.

Some people like the ceramic knives, but they tend to chip very easily. So if you spend $100 or more on a knife, I’d rather have one that lasts for the long haul.

Top Kitchen Gadget #3 – Food Processor

Just like the Vitamix and her Global knife, we use the Cuisinart Food Processor almost every day.

The food processor is great for making chopped salads, shredding vegetables like cabbage, beets and carrots, and it’s also fantastic for making crusts, cereals or spreads.

I like the food processor for it’s ability to shred without using a hand grater. The speed and efficiency of just this task makes your investment in a food processor that much more essential.

I know a lot of people, myself included, who prefer a chopped and grated salad – particularly if you don’t want to sit around and chew all day like a gorilla.

A good Cuisinart will cost you between $150-400. These machines are so good that you may be able to find one second hand and still use it for years.

Top Kitchen Gadget #4 – Mason Jars (Ball Jars)

Mason jars make this list over a lot of different gadgets because of the frequency that we use them.

For about $6-12, you can get 12 mason jars at your local grocery store.

In these jars, you can sprout, ferment food, store food and spices, and drink out of them.

For the price and their versatility, they have to be on the list. They’re a perfect low cost solution to fermenting tools, sprouting trays, storage containers and drinking glasses.

You can even get them free!

When we buy some store bought sauerkraut or other products, some come in mason jars. After we’re done with what was originally in it, we just use the jar until it breaks (in the RV, this was much more frequent…)

Top Kitchen Gadget #5 – Water Crock

A water crock is a ceramic or stainless steel gadget that holds a 3 or 5 gallon water jug, so you can dispense your water easily.

This is a new addition to our list, because we were never able to have one in the RV. When we were traveling, we would fill up our jugs with spring water and then have to pour it into another dispenser. Now we can just pop the jug onto the crock and we’re ready to go.

Another reason a water crock is so important, is because it makes you want to go get fresh spring water straight from the source. I like to surround myself with reminders to do healthy things, so an empty water crock is a really good reminder to go up to the spring and fill up our jugs.

Water crocks are seriously inexpensive. You can get them for under $30 ($50 or so with a stand.)

Honorable Mention:

These didn’t make the top 5, but if you have it in your budget, you may want to get one or all of these…

Honorable Mention #1 – Juicer

I know, you can’t believe it didn’t make the top 5…

The reason why is because we make smoothies more often than juices.

We’ve also learned to work without the juicer in the RV because of space considerations. You can juice in the Vitamix as long as you have a cheese cloth or nut milk bag. All you do is add the ingredients into the blender with some water, blend and strain.

The juicers we do like are the Greenstar juicer and the Jack Lalanne machine. The Greenstar will make awesome juice and set you back about $500 or so. The Jack Lalanne is functional, but is only $100. If you want to juice lots of greens, the Greenstar is much better.

Honorable Mention #2 – Dehydrator

In our travels, we’ve also learned to live without a dehydrator.

I love the idea of making crackers and kale chips all the time, but at the same time I also know that I don’t need to eat them to be healthy.

A dehydrator is a great machine for those who are transitioning (to a healthy diet or eating more raw food) or preparing food for others, but for the long term, you may find it you use it less and less.

The price of a good Excalibur dehydrator is about $150-300.

Honorable Mention #3 – Yogurt Maker

As you know, I love eating fermented foods.

They’re fantastic for your gut health, your immune system and your digestion.

In a yogurt maker, you can make goat’s yogurt or other fermented milks, but you also can make nut or coconut yogurts as well – if you’re vegan or don’t do well with dairy.

What I also like about the yogurt maker, is that you set it once, walk away and it’s done in 12-24 hours – this is my type of food prep.

A yogurt maker will run you between $30-$50. (Click here for the Yogurt Maker we recommend.)

I want to know your thoughts: What are your top 5 kitchen gadgets? Go ahead and list them in the comments…

Want to Prevent Bone Loss Naturally?

Dr. J. E. Williams and I just teamed up to create a simple to use program that outlines his entire protocol to preventing bone loss and reversing osteoporosis.

The program is based on his 30 years of experience in the natural health field.

To read more and learn a natural way to build strong bones and prevent bone loss, please click here: Prevent Bone Loss Naturally

1. Beth says:

I agree with your top 4, with the exception that I have a BlendTech and not a Vitamix.
    The first I heard of the Water Crock was on your video the other day. Still not too clear on how it works, so I’ll be Googling it.

At the moment I would replace the Water Crock with Nut Milk Bag. It is so versatile and gets used almost daily.

2. Irene Leeb says:

great article
    practical, clear and concise

have one comment
    those who do have dehydrators can make yogurt in it as well

Blessings!

3. Kate says:

THEROMIX – Thats all you need! Love mine – couldn’t live without it now!

4. Really great article, Kevin. about the top five most useful kitchen machines. Well said! Well described!

5. Gen says:

I would love to know how to make coconut milk yogurt (from canned coconut milk — I live in Canada).

6. Sue says:

1) Vitamix, 2) Good set of knives, mine are Cutco, 3) canning jars for making sprouts, for making sauerkraut, and for storing, 4) bowls for storage and serving, 5) hammer for cracking nuts! The hammer really belongs in a tool box, but I have decided that I’d rather eat the pecans than to look at those pretty shells that are hard to crack in to!

7. sheri says:

Thanks for this. We also love the vita-mix.
    We would also like to know how to make coconut yogurt. If you could let us know, we appreciate it, we may buy your yogurt maker too.:)
    Thanks, Sheri

8. Gail says:

Always love that you are about Truth and Reality and not a bunch of sales-pitchy BS.

I’ve had my VitaMix since 1995 and it is used daily and still going as strong as the first day. I’ve only had to replace the blades once and that was only because of MY error, and not the machine, so otherwise, it would have been maintainance free for 15 years.

I appreciate that you didn’t mention the juicer and why (can use the VM if necessary) and the $100 JLL (God bless him) machine will do fine. My Wish List juicer at this point is the Omega 8004.

The only reason I wish I had a dehydrator is to put food ‘up’ for Preparedness storage and I think fruits, jerky (for meat eaters) and crackers would do well for BOB (bug out bags).

Definitely love that you mentioned the glass jars – I have dozens of them!

Have never had or felt the need for a crock. I have an ionizer and just fill up my glass jars! Or a pitcher..

Still don’t have a processor but have been lusting after a Kitchenaid model that Rene Oswald uses..Maybe someday..

And I’m certainly intrigued with the Yogurt Maker. Hmmm..

Great job, K/A!

9. Suzanne says:

Hearing you talk about Sedona has me online looking for a place with a pool to stay end of April. Any advice?
    What do you do for your nose there? Can’t you squirt it several times a day with a spray or something? I was miserable when we traveled to the southwest because of my nose always feeling dry. Does Anne Marie sell anything that would help?
    My favs: Vita-Mix, salad spinner, huge portable tubs I store my greens in the refrig., my homemade mesh bags I sewed to shop and store my vegies, my Goodwill find for $2 is a cup warmer which I keep a bit of coc. oil in for use in my smoothie.

10. Lori says:

In order of most important to me… Blendtec blender with 3 quart carafe, Omega 8006 juicer, Kyocera ceramic knife, Glass tea pot and Crock pot. Also love the Freshlife automatic sprouter, Cuisinart food processor, Excalibur dehydrator and glass jars for fermenting kefir and veggies and storing everything!

11. Gary says:

Mine would be:

1. Blentec Blender (4 inch blade, pwns the vitamix 🙂

2. Juicer, I use mine every day, wouldn’t be without it.

3. Good Knife

4. Big massive bowl

3. Jars

I plan to get a food processor soon but can generally just use the blendtec for most things.

12. I would LOVE to get either a Vitamix or Omega 8006 (juicer that juices wheat grass and coconut without breaking the warranty) but I am not sure of which one is more essential?

My purpose for the juicer is to drink veggie juices everyday and detox. Also, it seems far easier to make almond milk with a juicer because you can skip the nut mylk bag process. I could also make smoothies with a juicer if I put the blank metal piece on it.

I am not 100% though because everyone seems to LOVE the Vitamix more than anything in the world that maybe I should just get that?

Here’s a juice off with the Omega 8005 vs Greenstar 5000:

13. Sarah says:

A mandolin. I cannot belive I tried to make thin thin slices of foods for so many years by hand! Let’s hear it for the mandolin!! (And I don’t mean the musical instrument though those are pretty cool as well). 🙂

14. Laura says:

Blendtec Blender also has a soup button and the soups comes out steamy hot. Also, the Champion juicer is great because you can put frozen fruit through it and it comes out like soft serve ice-cream. Cutco knives are great and have a lifetime warranty. Excaliber dehydrator is excellent too. Food Processors are worth it also.

15. I can show the pic of a Iron Tool that like a screwdriver, helps in getting out in pieces, the flesh/meat out of coconut shells.
    D.PARAMESWARAN
    INDIA

16. Nomi says:

saladacco spiral slicer to turn zucchini, beet, carrot, all the hard veggies into spaghetti! Indispensible! Ktec with 96 oz jar as above tho I own a Vita Mix too I seldom use it. Knives, mason jars…seems to be a variation on a theme…

17. wayne rivali says:

I’m an ex sous chef and now cook as a hobby. I also love to garden organically. I love to go to the greenhouse or garden and harvest fresh veggies and prepare nice and healthy salads for everyone.
    My least favorite part had been the task of washing and mainly drying the veggies with a towel, until I got a salad spinner. Mine is a Zyliss made in Switzerland for about 30 some bucks. I wash the pretorn leafs in the same spinner basket, set the basket in the spinner , pull the rope, and they’re ready to toss. A must have kitchen gadget. Wayne.

18. Annette Michael says:

I do not need a water crock because I use the Enagic Kangen machine and it is hooked up directly to my faucet. It is the best quality water you can drink, I truly believe. It also save me a lot of money and trip to the water stores.

I do not have a yogurt machine, but I do have a slow cooker and make my yummy homemade yogurt in that. Very tasty and healthy.

Thanks for all of the info. The “smoothy machine” sounds like a good investment.
    Annette

19. Susan says:

I love my food dehydrator. I have been soaking my walnuts and then drying them in my dehydrator. What a difference in taste! Also it makes them easier to digest. I learned about doing this from a nutrition class I took and boy does it make a difference.

20. Lisa says:

No tools but for your nose, neti, neti, neti.

21. Maia says:

How did you get a picture of my Vitamix? I use it all the time and it is at least 35 years old and never a problem. I love kitchen gadgets and agree with your list. Another favorite is a little wooden citrus reamer. It takes up very little space and makes juicing lemons, limes, amd oranges a breeze. I also am a big fan of the Japanese mandolin for thin slicing and julienne.

Hope you are having fun settling in. Hugs, Maia

22. Doc Suzy says:

I love my vitamix and couldn’t imagine life without it, I feel the same about my dehydrator. I am however an old hand at juicing because I started over 40 years. I watched my mother heal herself of cancer using fresh vegetable juice and raw food 35 years ago. As a health care practitioner I recommend juicing to patients because fresh vegetable juice is so rich in nourishment. You can put a couple of handfuls of greens in a quart smoothie but it literally takes takes a mountain of vegetables to make a quart of juice. It was actually Jack LaLanne that got me juicing years ago. I tried his juicer a few years ago and it lasted about 3 months. I got a Breville – it is hands down my FAVORITE juicer! I have a Greenstar, I have a Champion. I LOVE my Breville!

23. oreganol says:

I had never though of getting a yoghurt maker, but I think I will investigate this today. I’m in Thailand so not sure if I can get the brand that you recommend.

24. Linda says:

I’ve made yogurt in my Excalibur.
    I had a stainless steel Vitamix, think the heat in Thailand ruined the rubber so I broke it making peanut butter. A year ago, I brought a new one back in my suitcase. With all the tropical fruit here, top two items are the VitaMix & Excalibur…mango yogurt roll-ups with blueberries. Also spinach & kale sheets…like nori.
    @oreganol I’m in Bangkok. There is a yogurt maker here, about 800 baht that let’s you make yogurt in the carton. Think I saw it last at Lemon Farm.

25. munson1 says:

Have you heard of the Thermomix, a German device which prepares and cooks all in one go? You can set the temperature at 40 degrees so can still be raw for many recipes. It’s superb at preparation and is the most superior food processor ever. It is expensive, though, at around $2,000. I also have a Hurom juicer which is like an auger juicer but much easier, simpler and cleaner to use. Again it’s pricey. In Australia our Vitamixes cost between $1900 and $2100 – you guys are lucky there!! Would also love to have the recipe for the coconut yoghurt as I’m lactose intolerant.

26. Paul says:

I thought your list was great. Also, I think an honorable mention would be a food vacuum sealer. I use this machine multiple times every day. It helps to keep my juice, smoothies, and salads fresh much longer. I also soak and dehydrate my nuts and seeds in bulk and put them in vacuum sealed bags for the freezer.

27. Joanne says:

I just got one of these juicers, I love that it does so many other things too.

28. ann says:

for any newbies that dont have equipment yet. the themomix is def worth a look. in many ways better than the vitamix as doesn’t heat by friction to do the smoothies also its stainless steel bowl is easy to get stuff out from. does everything a vitamix does but also cooks, weighs and can contol temp so dont loose precious enzymes, makes smoothies, mixes, dough – if you are into homemade forcaccio – ice creams in fact apart from juicing it does most other things. expensive and cant buy in stores in the uk guess its the same in the us but then not so expensive when you only have to have one piece of equipment.

29. Yamina says:

In my ancient time I had many machines. Have all given them, except a blender-mix-etc.-stuff that I NEVER use ! He’s so beautiful yet ! Black with silver… I just use a knife, simple, even not very sharpened ! Even, the ensemble of knives in their wood support have been given ! No use, dust… I am very interested by jars. I’ll go and see if I can find some reminding me the old mediterranean potteries (disappeared, found only in museums). I never mix or blend. Those textures remind me babies food… It is typically american. Now, here, we see more and more people using blenders, and this last year, we begin to have a lot of smoothies in supermarkets. If I could I would eat veggies like fruits without any preparation and at the end without any kitchen work ! Like animals in nature without leaving any trace behind us… But we must sacrifice to the obliged rituals of meals… Borring…

30. Sylvia says:

My favourite kitchen appliance is a Thermomix – it grinds nuts, and grain to flour, makes dough, minces, chops coarse and fine- even one clove of garlic, sautes, cooks soups, casseroles, sauces, steams, rice, makes yogurt, juices. There is not much it can’t do – mainly baking.

31. lawrenz says:

all the gizmos…one of the most important things is our teeth…look at the skulls in a History Museums..the teeth on ancient humans..minimal decay excellent teeth…yet they had to masticate very difficult rockhard foodstuffs …in the movie Road to Wellville spoof on Dr Kellog they mention Fletcherism…was a cult of masticating 30x’s per mouthfull during the 1800’s(once used by the marines I believe) anyway taken to another level by the father of Gestalt psychotherapy Dr Fritz Perls..after you do this task of eating for a while …there is your built in blender but your brain hurts…thus theoretically beginning the hormonal secretions necessary for immersion of foreign substances in ones being both physical and psycological…activation of enzymes starting at the mouth…anyway…nothing beats the Vitamix

32. Karen says:

I’d like to get a good sharp knife. If I were to buy just one (as they are quite expensive), which size would be the most useful for general raw food prep? Many thanks!

33. Kevin Snyder says:

Thanks Kevin!
    I have everything on your list, but I was blown away by the versatility of Mason Jars. I have a couple dozen of them just sitting around and hadn’t thought about using them as food storage containers. Just yesterday I was googling glass containers to replace my existing plastic containers. So thanks for the timely tip!
    By the way, I think Kevin is an awesome name don’t you?

34. zyxomma says:

My old, eBay-purchased VitaMix comes in at #1. #2 is a mandoline. #3 is the Kyocera ceramic knife. #4 is my spiral slicer. #5 is my Kyocera ceramic peeler.

However, just as in all my recipes, LOVE is the first ingredient!

35. I so agree with all of your picks… especially putting the juicer on the HM list. My husband and I had a juicer for a few months, but sold it because we found that we just enjoyed smoothies so much more, and didn’t want to drink the juice without the fiber. I know you get nutrients more easily with juice, but we’re young & healthy, and get hungry easily so the fiber is helpful to fill us up 🙂 Same on the dehydrator – we kept it, because I use it to dehydrate nuts & seeds after soaking and will want to use it when we eventually have an orchard and huge veggie garden. I also use it to make dehydrated meals for long camping trips 🙂

I have a question about the vitamix – I’ve heard that it breaks the foods down better than an ordinary blender, so that they’re more easily absorbed. I’ve never seen any info on that though, just people saying it. Have you looked at that? Is it a factor for you in having a vitamix, or is it just about the durability and texture that you mentioned?

36. bikegata says:

I also would like to know how I can make my own coconut milk yogurt, this is the first I ever heard you can do this yourself. It would beat paying for the store bought stuff. I used to make my own dairy yogurt years ago, putting a dollop of yogurt into a big crock jar, draping a tea towel over the top and sticking it into the oven on a low setting. Came out great. Now that I use the oven for storing kitchenware, I’d be interested in an electric yogurt maker, but didn’t know I could use coconut milk. Could you say more about how to make it?

For your nose, I second the netti pot, be sure to read the instructions. It’s a little ‘gross’ by some people’s thinking, but it beats running wet gauze through your nose (I’ve tried, couldn’t do it). Even in San Francisco where I live, my nose gets dry and crusted, until I started using a netti pot. I feel the difference on days I don’t use it, as the cilia in the nose is constantly filtering (and I notice a thin layer of dust on my bedroom desk after a few days, can’t convince the landlord to take up the awful wall to wall carpeting, and having to keep litter boxes for two cats in my bedroom closet – gross,but what can I do? I’ve thought of investing in an air purifier, but I try to minimize the number of electronics I plug in in the bedroom).

Thanks for all you do, hope you’re having a good time in Sedona. I’d be interested in knowing some affordable places to stay around there, we’ve been thinking of a drive around the southwest. If there’s enough interest, perhaps you would consider sharing your travel tips for the southwest? (Or have you already done that and I missed it?)

37. Leslie Riley says:

I love my JLL juice, Vita-Mix and food processor. I am considering a dehydrator – wondering if using the oven would work? I found that commerical yogurt makers were too small – I like to make a gallon at a time. So I get mine ready, warm the oven, leave the light on and put the yogurt in there. After 8 hours or so, I refrigerate it overnight and the next day strain it to make Greek yogurt. Yum! A Greek guy at the health food store told me in the summer you can even make yogurt outside in the sunshine. Leslie

38. Donna says:

My vitamix is the vintage one in your picture too! However, although it still works great, the company does not support the older models with parts – I need a new seal for my lid, and they are not available. Guess I’ll try to make one out of rubber.

I love my dehydrator – it’s great for not just crackers & chips, but for warming foods to 105 degrees such as raw lasagna and other items that are much more nurturing when eaten warm in colder climates. Also marinating in the dehydrator gives veggies that softer, “cooked” texture without killing the enzymes. Wonderful!

Please do elaborate on how to make nut and coconut yogurts in a yogurt maker. Never had one, but that sounds yummy!

39. Debbie says:

Have all those items except the water crock, but I’m curious what size food processor is a good one to have for a 2 person household, taking into consideration I do make crackers a lot and find myself having to split the ingredients up to get the processing done. Do you have the larger version ? Please let me know as I am real close to getting a bigger one, and give the smaller one away. Thank you so much, have a good day.

40. Sheila says:

I love my Magic Bullet! I use blend my smoothies with hazelnut milk,Rice protein, Vitamineral greens, coconut butter, stevia.
    Does anyone know what kind of ice cream maker is best?

41. Danette says:

I would very much like to hear people’s comments on the VitaMix vs. a Blendtec, as my crappy $30 blender just broke, and I’m going to invest in one or the other… Blendtec is significantly cheaper, and the reviews I’ve read put it right up there with the VitaMix… So I’d love to hear from anyone who’s had experience with both, or knows anyone who has!

Thanks,

D

42. barbara says:

Love my Blendtec,OXO salad spinner, dehydrator, Sabatier small size chef knife, Kuhn Rikon paring knife,Vitorinox chopping knife, flexible cutting boards, OXO peeler and ceramic peeler. A cooking tip from the rescue cook……………… my vintage egg slicer that I use to slice mushrooms. I bought a fancy slicer peeler up at Living Light, makes fun food shapes. Cook with love.

43. Sue says:

Thanks Kevin.
    I also have an older VitaMix like in your picture. Wish it didn’t have the spout though since I never use it anyway. It needs a new seal too. I also have a Cuisanart 7-cup food processor which seems to be the right size for 2 people. I use my Excalibur dehydrator for drying all the herbs I grow, and drying nuts and making crackers. Would love to know how to make coconut yogurt in it also. Love my salad spinner! I Probably need to get a better knife. I use my Omega VRT330 juicer every morning when I make juice for my breakfast. Don’t have a water crock, but we have a whole-house water filter system and also a 10 gal RO system at the kitchen sink (we had it first).

44. Katia says:

Hey Kevin and Anne Marie,

Thank-you for the post, it is fun and important to think about what is the most useful in my kitchen.

My first choice is my juicer, I use it regularly.
    A good knife is important, both a Chef’s knife and a pairing knife
    I love my glass pyrex measuring cups.
    I use me stainless steel strainer everyday, I know that might not make sense to a lot of people but I find it useful when I am preparing in the kitchen and want to stay organized.
    My magic bullet is great for quick spreads and sauces and it really works well and is small!

Thank-you!

Katia

45. wendy green says:

maybe not in the top five, but worth mentioning a good cutting board. we have some nice long and wide boards…can chop our whole salad on one board.

also, we use a variety of peelers…so our veggies look different, salad after salad. my favorite is a “ruffle” cut peeler, i got in thailand.

in my top five…i would suggest a mandolin. i just got one and cuts my chopping and cutting tie down to almost nothing! and i love making very thin slices of ginger for my marinated ginger i use with vegan sushi.

love you guys.