5 Awesome Core Exercises : The Renegade Health Show Episode #794

Friday Apr 1, 2011 | BY |

The phantom return of Fitness Friday!

Our friend, Scott Colby just put together a Fitness Adventure in Marin County…

Today, we spend the morning with the group hiking and getting to know them. It was awesome!

The group has been doing some fitness boot camps in the morning, hiking and enjoying the amazing weather here in the Bay Area.

Before we left, I asked Scott to show us some core exercises that would help to tighten up the abs. He came up with some awesome ones.

Check ‘em out…

Your question of the day: Is your core strong… or not?

1. eyla says:

Not! I wish it was, have to pay it a bit more attention,
    Love the fitness videos thanks!!

2. Thomas says:

If this doesn’t get you exercising, then watch this 91-year-old woman.
    She is an inspiration to all:

Cheers :-)

3. Renee says:

My core was very strong before and during my pregnancy… after I had my little one, I stopped doing as much core work. I have started doing more in the last few months and its crazy how hard some of the things I used to easily do have become a lot harder. But I’m sticking with it :) I notice a significant difference in my core strength when I am doing yoga regularly. Keep the Fitness Fridays coming, I love them!!

4. oreganol says:

My core’s pretty strong, although it could be stronger. I’ve done most of these exercises in the past, but now that you’ve refreshed my mind, I’ll add them back in again.

5. Steve says:

Thanks so much for bringing back the Fitness shows!
    These core exercises are so much better than crunches & sit-ups.
    No more straining my neck !
    - Steve

6. Lisa Irene says:

yes! I teach pilates… however…. my cardio health needs work!
    great episode – thanks!

7. I LOOOOVE your fitness shows! I always find something to work into my morning routine. THIS show was especially cool! Love the new ideas.

And, yep, I’m happy to say that my core’s in pretty good shape. I had some back problems years ago and my chiro told me that what would help is to work on my core. He gave me a series of exercises and I do them daily and they totally helped. My back problems are almost non-existent now!

Thanks, you two!
    Lisa Marie
    Owner, Rite Chocolate

8. Karin says:

Wish I could say that I was doing really well but hey, I’m doing much better then 2 years ago when I could be compared to Raggedy Ann….
    Loved the video and cannot wait to try those out. Will have to wait 8 weeks though as my tendons in left foot are badly inflamed and really need to get that fixed. No footwork for 8 weeks.

9. Kristine says:

Yep. I do these and more. I have to do them in a class environment because there is no way I can motivate myself to go through the pain of doing them! I am doing a class called 30/60/90 and it is an awesome interval class.

10. Blair says:

Always looking for more exercises to incorporate into my life! Love your body weight exercises, I do bands because I got really tired of weights and actually feel like i get a better workout from exercise bands, but nothing can beat body weight exercises.
    My core is pretty strong…lots of pilates, yoga, and other things, but pilates has made my core very very strong!

Love the video of the 91 year old woman! how awesome of her!!

11. Diana (Ohio) says:

Not at all, my core turned to mush like a rotten apple.

I used to teach aerobics, but when I got married, had babies and became a stay at home mom, everything became about the kids and life just past me by in a hurry!! I kept saying to myself, I’ll start exercising again next week when I have more time…. before I knew it, the weeks turned into years, 16 years as a matter of fact!!

Just last week I got out an old VHS exercise tape that I used to love to do and I was SHOCKED at how much I couldn’t do!!! Proves the old saying “USE IT OR LOOSE IT”.

I have a long road ahead of me, but I know how being fit makes me feel good, soooo, can you guys include some simple exercises in Fitness Friday for those of us who are out of shape (unless you consider round a shape)or even some things for beginners too.

Love all you do.
    Diana (Ohio)

12. Gini says:

The lizard crawl pushups is great! I’m a yogakids faciltator and we do lizard pose (Chaturanga Dandasana). The kids would really like to do the lizard crawl! I’m not currently doing any yogakids classes so am really out of shape. My core has always been my weakest point.

13. Anne says:

I’d say I have a pretty strong core because I do work it most days in various fashion (different exercises). After years of being a regular exerciser I must say that doing some pilates classes really improved my core strength and now do incorporate some pilates moves in my abs workouts.

Would recommend pilates to anyone wanting to improve their core without any jarring and whist elongating your muscles.

But hey I love the exercises presented today. Everyone should change things up and keep their body guessing and so it’s always great to have new exercises.
    Thanks

14. Beth says:

Wished it was but not. An area, along with strength training, I need to work on.

15. Beth says:

Glad to see Fitness Friday is back!

No, my core is not strong. Working on it though. These stability exercises will help.

16. freedom fighter says:

i have a really strong core and i pride myself in it, I always make sure i keep up with it and always improve it to better. Its fun exercise and I help others who want a strong core and give them advice about health and nutrition

17. Yamina says:

I am very proud of my perfect core, a ballerina core. Doing aikido, a complete training given strongth, flexibility, grace, elegant feature… but still a martial art. Ancient, proven, peaceful but efficient and beautiful ! Like this landscape ! We intend to go to California soon ! I am so glad, discovering american people on the Internet and their gentleness, friendship, and happiness ! My husband lived in Monterey ten years, telling me : “Boooffff, just to please you, just being sure not eating disguised pork grease, but owing to your new religion, at least, I’m sure I’ll be safe !” I have never been in America, a infant dream !
    Thks for showing us a part of your american life ! I’ll find there plenty of aikidojos. Here, we receive some famous masters coming from your country…

18. Jacquie says:

My core is medium strength because I started doing the Tibetan Rites from your video. Wonderful! Love you two so very much!!!!