4 Myths About Preventing Bone Loss and Osteoporosis : The Renegade Health Show Episode #793

Thursday Mar 31 | BY |

We’re going to be focusing on preventing bone loss and osteoporosis for the next week or so…

It’s a huge topic and one thing that I’m pretty sure of is this: bone drugs are not the solution.

Here’s a clip from our visit with Dr. J. E. Williams in Sarasota recently where he outlines 4 very specific myths about bone loss and how you can prevent osteoporosis.

Your question of the day: Does anyone in your family take bone loss drugs?

1. D says:

So glad you are talking about this, this is something that has been on my mind for quite some time as my mother suffers from these bone issues. I’m almost 30, so this is great info although I assumed bone drugs were not the answer already and figured a better diet would be more like it, staying away from some stuff (as I’ve read dairy actually makes this bone diseases worse)…so thanks! But now you gotta do an episode on HOW to prevent these 😉

2. freedom fighter says:

I actually do know somebody that takes drugs for their bones, dude your the man props for video

3. Renee says:

I have not taken Bone health drugs. But When I was 17 I was diagnosed with low bone density. I was diagnosed because in basketball I received stress fractures in both of my ankles from the running. I started taking calcium and eating lots more dairy (which now I know better.), I got better and was able to run cross country the next school year. But now (I’m 24) after having my first child I started running again and am having trouble with the bones in my ankles hurting again. I am so excited that you are doing a focus on bone health as that is one of my big concerns. I want to get back to running too 🙂 I hope you address some information for those who are younger to build their bones in any way they can. I have heard that after a certain age you start losing not gaining any bone strength… I sure hope not!

4. Ellen Schukar says:

I’m sorry, I’m not clear about what to do. Do I stop taking calcium supplements because they are ineffective? Are there other things I should be taking like K2 and strontium?

5. Joyce says:

I used to have bone issues, didn’t get it diagnosed though, very painful joints and spine. For me it started in puberty, got worse with having a baby at age 20 and then got better when I was about 23 or 24 when I got rid of all cow dairy and pasteurized dairy (I only have moderate amounts of real goat dairy) and also stopped eating grains. I also increased my greens and starting drinking wheatgrass juice. I haven’t had an issue since. I do have a friend on bone drugs, and it hasn’t helped her so far.

6. Dona in Delaware says:

I had a very good friend who took pharmaceuticals for years, she wound up with necrosis of the jaw and a lot of trouble with her teeth.
    What do you think of the “grow bones” program from the”Garden of life” company?
    I have read that not only dairy but just excess protein consumption causes bone loss because it makes your body acidic, and calcium is taken from the bones to raise the ph of your urine.Is that correct?

7. Anne says:

Interesting. It would be helpful if Dr. Williams could suggest a specific protocol for maintaining bone health. Thanks for all of the great information. Hope your new apartment is coming along. How is the bed that you ordered now that you have sleep-tested it?

8. Phyllis says:

My mom takes drugs for bone loss. She has for years. She broke her humorous bone a year ago and it healed very fast. She thinks it is because she was already taking the drugs.
    I was told I have osteoarthritis. The doc told me “as long as you can move, keep moving.” He knows I exercise 5 times a week very vigorously.
    I look forward to the info that tells us what we can do to prevent/reverse this condition

9. Amy says:

Thanks!
    Any Suggestions from this doctor on what we can do to prevent bone loss?
    Very interested!

10. Gerry says:

Following fyi, is some excellent info from my friend/health-and-fitness-colleague, Dr. Ruth Heidrich, alias “Iron Lady.” (Incidentally, Ruth is in her late 70’s, I believe, and still “Running For Life.”;-)
    –Gerry
    ——————-
    The Osteoporosis/Calcium Deficiency Myth
    and Other Life Threatening Diseases
    By Ruth Heidrich, PhD, Health & Fitness Advisor

The admonitions surround us! Take more Calcium! Drink more milk!! Take Tums!

Physicians and dietitians have repeatedly increased the daily calcium intake recommended and yet the incidence of osteoporosis increases. The countries with the highest hip fracture rates have the highest dairy intake. Conversely, countries with the lowest hip fractures are non-dairy consuming.

There are many factors involved in bone density, but the major factors are excessive protein intake and lack of effective exercise. The typical carnivore’s diet provides excessive protein (amino acids) which then has to be neutralized by calcium, taken from the bones. Couple that with a sedentary lifestyle, and you have the perfect recipe for osteoporosis.

Bone is much like muscle in that it only gets as strong (dense) as the demands placed on it. Demands in the form of stress range in a continuum from zero gravity in outer space, to bed-rest, to sitting, standing, walking, running, and jumping.

Bone loss occurs during zero gravity, bed-rest and sitting. Walking maintains bone, but ONLY running and jumping have been shown to increase bone density. I use my own case history as evidence since my bone density has steadily increased from ages 49 to 64. The obvious solution is a vegan diet and effective exercise. Striking exercise is best, ie., running, because every time the foot strikes with the impact of one’s compounded weight, it involves repeated transfer of energy through the bones and joints and stimulates more bone challenge and growth.

Osteoporosis, however, is just one of the major life-threatening diseases that can be addressed through diet and exercise. Other examples include heart disease, cancer, stroke, iatrogenic disorders, diabetes, arthritis, depression, obesity, and premature aging – each of these conditions has a proven fitness component as well as a nutritional component.

Hearts grow stronger with regular aerobic exercise. It’s been shown that runners have increased heart stroke volume as well as greater elasticity in their arteries. Runners also have thicker knee cartilage and lower risk of arthritis.

Regular exercise boosts the immune system to the point where female runners have approximately a 35% lower risk of breast cancer. The increased elasticity of the arteries also lowers the risk of stroke. The fourth leading cause of death, iatrogenic (or medically-caused) diseases, can be prevented by running as fast as you can — away from hospitals! (Smile.)

Type 2 diabetes is occurring in younger populations, and is said to be due to, at least in part, to lack of exercise. The mechanism is thought to be that the blood sugar rises when muscles aren’t being called upon to use it. Exercise also increases the receptor’s sensitivity to insulin.

Arthritic joints “freeze” when not put through their entire range of motion on a daily basis; adhesions start forming in 24 hours.

Osteoporosis can be prevented since bones increase density when greater stress is put on them – not by pushing calcium.

A good run is almost always a better antidote for depression than Prozac – and no side effects.

Since obesity represents stored energy, an obvious solution is to exercise and is far more effective, in the long run (pun intended) than cutting calories.
    It is obvious then that fitness plays a major role in the prevention and reversal of these major health conditions.

–Ruth E. Heidrich, Ph.D., Ironman Triathlete

11. Zakiyyah says:

I have osteoarthritis,and it was to the point that I could hardly walk,but I changed my diet to mostly fruits and vegetables,and I don’t have that sort of problem now,but I do get tenderness at times. What can I do about this tenderness that I feel while going up steps?

12. Satori says:

Yes. My mother in law doesn’t take drugs but taking A LOT of calcium supplements and cow’s milk. I think it’s way too much especially because I don’t trust the brands she buys. She says she likes the packaging though…sigh…

13. Kathy says:

This information is invaluable. Thank you so much. I am 52 and am concerned about keeping my bones strong and healthy. I am only in recent months realizing that the conventional wisdom about preventing osteoporosis is probably wrong but I wasn’t sure exactly what was right. Thanks for providing this information in such a concise and easy-to-absorb manner. I look forward to the upcoming installments on the topic.

14. Erika says:

Thank you for bringing up this topic. I recently had the results of my hormone saliva test and it appears that my testosterone levels are very low. I also read that low testosterone levels are associated with bone loss/osteoporosis. A question for Dr.Williams: How can I get my testosterone levels up naturally?

15. Bill says:

Taking calcium and magnesium plus vitamins k2 mk7 and vitamin D3. Lets see if Im close.

16. Claresta says:

I understand the importance of exercise in regards to prevention and reversal of bone loss. I would like to receive recommended diet suggestions that will help with bone health as well. Thank you.

17. Lennie says:

Yes, unfortunately I know lots of women who take drugs for their bones, not realising that they are not deficient in drugs and that weight bearing exercise, nutrition and sunlight would help a hell of a lot more . Look forward to the next video telling us what to do for strong bones ! Thanks guys !

18. Mary says:

We never see any answers to the posted questions. Why?

• Kevin Gianni Kevin Gianni says:

@Mary: Thanks for your comment! You must be new here. The reason I say that is because we have hundreds of questions in our queue that we answer during shows or articles. The reason you may not see them right away is because we truly get more than we can humanly answer. 🙂

19. oreganol says:

My Mum takes drugs for osteoporosis, but they just don’t work, and her condition continues to get worse. But she won’t listen to anything except what her doctor tells her. There is no hope of her watching this video. She’s just not interested in getting better. I’ve no idea why.

20. Sue says:

Ditto with Mary – would like to see some response to posted questions.
    I’m dealing with bone loss in the jaw and have lost teeth due to teeth grinding. Vitamin D levels were low – am taking 5000 IU’s daily now. Am very interested in recommendations for stopping bone loss in the jaw and whether the suggestions for osteoporosis in general also apply to the jaw. I do not have osteoporosis. Thanks for the focus on this topic.
    I know 2 people who were on pharmaceuticals for osteoporosis – they both stopped after thoroughly reading the warnings and the instructions for taking the drugs.

21. Linda says:

Thanks Kevin, I was diagnosed with osteopenia when I was 41 (8 years ago) prior to my transition to Pescatarin and eventually high raw diet. Drugs have never been recommended, but supplementation and dairy has (however I gave up dairy at 41 also as that is when I discovered I was intolerant). Just so happens I had another bone density scan yesterday and am anxious to get the results. Thanks for addressing this personally important topic.

22. Pamela Weems says:

Yes, I am supposed to be taking a prescription for osteopenia. I am also supposed to be taking a calcium supplement or consuming dairy, neither of which I do with any regularity. I do exercise (weight-bearing and aerobic) three times a week for about an hour. I think I have slowed down my bone loss but at this rate my endocrinologist (whom I see for Hashimoto’s Thyroiditis as well) is threatening to start calcium shots.

About five years ago, when all this started, I was perimenopausal, so I believe they are all related…I don’t take a hormone supplement. I switched to predominantly raw vegan whole foods, avoiding gluten and dairy, and have been able to decrease my thyroid med but not eliminate it entirely, which is disappointing.

23. Like the late great George Carlin said, “Ya gotta WANNA”… many people are not willing to change to get better. Even when you physically remove them from harm, GIVE them proper care and food, TEACH them the proper way, MOTIVATE THEM, etc, are kind to them and listen to their complaints and challenges, etc etc etc… many will go right back to their old destructive careless ways as soon as you go back to living your own life. That is the way of the world. You do the best you can with those you love. Let God reward the rest. You reap what you sew in so many ways…

24. Melina says:

This is a timely article for me. I recently broke a metatarsal bone in my foot while running. Since I’m 53, the doctors are wanting to do Calcium levels, Vitamin D levels and bone density workup. I would much rather treat this with nutrition and exercise rather than pharmacutical drugs.

25. Jan says:

I have had osteopina and chose to take bio-identical hormones to help prevent more bone loss. I refuse to take any of the drugs out there and I would prefer to do it naturally. I would like to know if anyone especially Dr. Williams has any opinion on the Program Save your Bones. I have been following the website but I haven’t bought or read the book. But it sounds pretty solid! For exercise I swim and ride a bike but I can see that is not enough. The problem is my knees won’t let me jog or jump what else can I do?

26. Sybil Russell says:

Hi Kevin The movie Fat Sick and nearly Dead will be in Berkeley on April 5 at the Rialto Cinamas Elmwood Joe Cross will be there also. Showing in S F and Marin Go to Dr Fuhrman’s web site

27. Patricia says:

Eat more kale!!!LOL Other than that and walking much more data is needed by me!
    Thanks for taking up this subject. I look forward to lots more info on it. Since red blood cells are made in the marrow of the bones, care and correct nutrition is so important. It is the main reason I don’t eat meat. I hope Dr. Williams goes into all this. I know women who take drugs to stop bone loss and it’s not working for them. Please, more info. Thank You!!!

28. Rebecca says:

Who did the drawing of Johnny 5? I love it!

29. Darlene Santano says:

Yes. Taking drugs to stop bone loss and taking calcium and vitamin D3 alone do nothing to promote good bone health! Despite my telling this to my family member who has osteoporosis, she continues to take the drug and says she “hates” vegetables! Unfortunately her diet consists of meat, pasta and breads. Very Very bad!

Please keep posting videos like this. They are extremely informative. Thank you.

30. Dianne says:

A great book and resource is “Building Bone Vitality” by Dr. Amy Lanou. “Why calcium, estrogen and drugs are not the answer.”
    I am also vegan and do take calcium supplements. The book is an excellent resource on what to eat and the studies behind why dairy, calcium supplements and estrogen do not work. If you must use prescription drugs or hormone replacement, she also covers what is best. Check if out at Amazon.

31. Kristine says:

I was diagnosed with severe osteoporosis at 40(bones of a 85 year old!) I still have the chart. I am now sixty, look 40 and have strong bones. I had to lie to my doctors about taking the drugs because they initially told me I would be in a wheel chair in five years or less. (They were alarmed, to say the least.) But my instincts and intellect were right! My spouse says I should write a book about it. In any case, I respect Dr. Williams and look forward to hear what he has to say which I am sure will align closely with my own experience. Thanks!

32. Quinn says:

Seems rather shocking to give such important information on myths, and not to make any mention of prevention? Please don’t leave us this way.

I listed with an eagarness to have answers, and simply left disappointed.

Thank you for what seems a first half… waiting for the second.

Q

33. deb says:

I am also interested in finding out more nfo on growing jaw bone (condylle) My resorbed in the last 20 years to a great extent, and I am trying t find out what to do to regrow boe. Any suggestions, please let me know.
    Thanks.

34. Selina says:

What about nettles?

I learned from Susun Weed that nettles is the ultimate “bone grower”. It’s the milk of the earth.

I don’t have any problems with my bones ‘yet’, but I have been drinking nettle infusion now for the nutritional quality, and wow! My nails really get strong, which I guess is a good indicator that it may also be a good source of calcium.

35. Selina says:

Pleeease, could you guys have Susun Weed on your show sometimes by the way? 🙂

36. Sue says:

Great video…I’ve been diagnosed in 1994 with osteopina.I am now 63 years old. I have refused all those years to go on medication even though every doctor encourages me to start. I do my weights regularly, a lot of walking and cycling..I know that cycling is not weight bearing but regardless it’s healthy 🙂 I have been taking calcium all those years so I’m surprised to hear the latest on that. I’m willing to stop taking them. I do eat red meat but mostly chicken and more fish in the summer. I have heard that Vitamin D is what I should be taking..any truth to that? I’m very anxious to hear more on this topic. Thanks Kev.. 🙂

37. Sue says:

Great video Kevin. Dr. Williams is very informative. I have never liked milk and even as a child my mother tried to force it on me with no luck. I don’t touch the stuff to this day. I do like kefer, yogart and a little cheese now and then. My bones are good to me! I’m 61 years old and earned a black belt in Hapkido at the age of 55. I currently hike and bike regularly and have no complaints about aches and pains. I hop out of bed in the morning ready to start the day and I plan to live to at least 100!! 🙂

38. Rosie says:

–cantelope
    quinoa (sprouted goes up in bio-available and the ph goes up by 1Ph)
    -amaranth
    -eff
    -pricots
    -lemons
    -kale
    -sprouts
    (i’m sure there are more)

just remember that its “ALL” about chemistry PH=potential hydrogen.

and are bodies if they are too acidic from the food that we eat: animal products, white sugar white flour. Book alkalize or die -explains.

sooooo…if your body is too acidic your body robs from Peter(bones), to pay Paul(the blood). The blood will be rich in minerals but the bones will be bankrupt. Its simple chemistry.

39. mindy says:

Check out the detailed brilliant book by Keith McCormick The Whole-Body Approach to Osteoporosis: How to Improve Bone Strength and Reduce Your Fracture Risk (Whole Body Healing Series) It teaches detail about bone formation, and changes due to many factors and what actions, supplements, lifestyle shifts can influence them. It is great reading: both details but also like a hike through the woods, noting details along the way. I have seen people do the recommendations and have reversal of more extreme situations. There is alot in this book to help you deal with your specific area of bone challenge. check it out on amazon and read some pages and see if it would be great resource for you.

I have low bone density due to undiagnosed celiac for 50 years. I didn’t eat much wheat, but did have barley and it was the length of time with small amts. that lead to poor bone formation as well as worsening of the situation over life. I believe gluten free diet will help hault the worsening but I have other aspects that are also genetic to work on based on this book. Excellent help.

40. jackie says:

I was diagnosed with osteopenia and my doctor prescribed pharmeceuticals, which I took for a year, until I discovered how bad they were and stopped. She tried to scare me and said I can trip and break a hip! Needless to say, I switched doctors and then tried bioidentical hormones for several months, until I heard Dr. Theresa Dale speak on it and realized those also aren’t good! So I stopped those. Then I did the Bone Grow thing someone above asked about, but haven’t had a scan so don’t know if it helped or not. Currently I’m just eating more greens and taking Vit. D.
    I have a friend who’s doing an experimental drug thing for osteopenia…unfortunately I can’t convince her to stop.

41. Kathy says:

I was looking forward to receiving the additional information you promised on osteoporosis and was disappointed to find out that I would have to pay to receive it. I do not appreciate this ‘bait and switch’ technique to get us to buy something. If you have a program to promote I would rather you just be upfront and say so rather than tease us with tantalizing tidbits about an important topic, imply that more ‘free’ information is forthcoming, and then, oops, nothing is forthcoming except a lengthy promotion for a $39.95 program. Perhaps I am misunderstanding the situation but as far as I can figure out right now you have promised something you did not deliver, as I do not have the money available to buy the product.

42. anahuy says:

Why the telling us, we don’t need the bone loss meds, yet no telling us what we do need. Same as always with most all doctors, they’re in it for the money. I’ve had osteo since I was 36 & am now 52. You really in this to help people or not? A good many have no means to pay for the info.

43. Michele says:

I am a hospice nurse, please get the word out to physicians so that they can stop pushing the drugs and ineffective supplementation. This is important, by the time they become my patient, in most cases, its too late.