Under the Radar: Re-Testing Ordered of All Airport X-Ray Scanners : Renegade Health News

Wednesday Mar 16, 2011 | BY |

x-ray scanner airport
If you see this, choose another line.

While many of us, myself included, are following the status on the nuclear reactors in Japan, the TSA has dodged major media criticism for reassessing the testing of this stateside radiation hazard:

The Transportation Security Administration on Friday ordered re-testing of all radiation-emitting full-body scanners after an internal review showed calculation errors, missing data and other discrepancies on paperwork by contractors who routinely check the machines’ radiation levels…

…Sen. Susan Collins, R-Maine, said the TSA found problems with more than one-quarter of the reports it reviewed, “including gross errors about radiation emissions.”

“That is completely unacceptable when it comes to monitoring radiation,” Collins said. “If TSA contractors reporting on the radiation levels have done such a poor job, how can airline passengers and crew have confidence in the data used by the TSA to reassure the public?” (Source CNN.com: Here)

Flying, and now security checks, could be potentially more dangerous to those in the U.S. than a partial meltdown of the nuclear reactors at the Fukushima Daiichi plant because of frequent exposure for travelers and misrepresented safety risks.

(For those in Japan and surrounding areas, I will have more information in the next week or so about keeping “relatively” safe.)

The TSA and Homeland Security Secretary Janet Napolitano are assuring us that everything is OK, but keep in mind, the levels will almost always be reported as “safe,” no matter how unsafe they really are.

What these groups fail to recognize is that we don’t need safe levels of radiation, we need no detectable levels of unnatural radiation at all.

Now some people may say, “why are you making a big deal about this? The levels are lower than the natural radiation we receive throughout a year’s time, why worry about this extra amount?”

The reason why I care, is because there is no need to push the threshold. What’s more dangerous, one cigarette or two? In this case, what’s more dangerous and risky – radiation on the plane or radiation on the plane, in the x-ray scanner, and from everything else that you drive by on your way to the airport?

It’s the compounding risk that we need to be very careful about.

While scientists and law makers are running around attempting to determine levels that are acceptable, they’re missing the point that we’re playing around with technologies that could change our DNA even at very low levels of exposure.

In research from last year, David Brenner – head of Columbia University’s Center for Radiological Research – says that about 5 percent of the population (1 out of 20) is sensitive to radiation. These people have gene mutations that make them less able to repair X-ray damage to their DNA. (Source: Here)

Are you the one in twenty? We don’t know because testing is expensive. The bottom line is that there’s no need to take the chance.

If you’ve flown recently, you’ve likely seen people trying out these new x-ray scanners with smiles on their faces – as if they were taking a spin in a new custom Mercedes.

I can’t tell you how many times I’ve heard people say, “this is so cool” when they’re walking into them as well – maybe half a dozen I’ve overheard in the same amount of times we’ve flown.

The good news is, that for now, there are two ways you can avoid going through the x-ray scanners.

First, after you get your ID checked, you can scan all the security lines and determine which ones have the machine and which ones don’t. When you see one without, get in that line.

NOTE: If you don’t know what one looks like, just look for people in between two 8 foot high boxes – holding their arms up with giant smiles on their faces. That’s the line you want to avoid.

Second, if you do happen to be placed in that line, ask to be placed in a different one.

If you have kids, please make sure they do not go through these machines at all, since the concerns are greater for smaller children.

Every time we’ve seen these scanners, we’ve (to date) managed to find another security check with just a metal detector and been able to avoid going through the scanner.

You will be able to as well.

As for radiation protection while you’re on a plane or if you’re living in Japan, I’ll be writing a full report (not a shoot from the hip, buy-my-seaweed-or-supplement kind of deal) in the next week and a half.

Until then, next time you’re believing what you see on TV, the computer or what trusted officials say is safe, check out this fancy ad from 1949…

I want to know your thoughts: What do you think of airport x-ray scanners – totally toxic or no big deal?

10% Off Everything in the Renegade Health Store until March 21st!

Yep, customer appreciation week is back and from now until March 21st, you can get 10% off everything in the Renegade Health Store!

This includes:

- Supplements like Vitamin D, B12 and Digestive Enzymes.
- Great programs like “How to Read Your Blood Tests” and “The Complete Thyroid Health Program”
- Awesome, all-natural skin care from Annmarie – It’s won awards!
- Super-herbs like Holy Basil and Ashwagandha
- And more…

To get this special deal, all you have to do is use this coupon code when you check out: GREEN

Here’s where you can start shopping now…

1. Isabelle says:

totally toxic and sick – you know that terrorists have won when a nation pushes for its citizens to be bodily scanned in this manner. The “underpants” bomber sounds like a giant set up to me – how did he get past security in the first place and would whatever he had stuck down his shorts really have blown him and a plane up – I doubt it. Is this really not just one more step to remove more and more freedom…? But you have to ask yourself, what is the point of the whole thing??

2. Linda Miller says:

I flew to Israel this fall and I chose to be handsearched.

3. Nancy says:

As I see it, it is not for security at all (and it never was!), but a way to see how far the masses can be pushed to obedience. How far will the sheep go before they fight back. It is a huge mass control experiment and so far we are remarkably compliant.

4. Geri says:

when I flew out of Denver I opted out of the ‘radiation’ machine and was totally prepared to be ‘strip searched’ but the TSA guy told me to go throught the regular scanner! That was it! Also, I wear sweatpants and nothing with a zipper, pull on ones, a sports bra, no underwire, and a tshirt, no jewelry, its in my carry on, no barrettes nothing metal! When I pass the tsa search I change if I am at my last stop! Worked for me!

5. Eridawni says:

Full Scanner’s are toxic on a variety of levels…

Since the 1950′s, research has shown and continues to show that chlorophyll protects against radiation.

Drink Green Juice, etc….

6. Rosie says:

I’m going to LAX in a couple of weeks and have never encountered the TSA before….
    I’m really scared of either being forced to go through the machine or being really roughly violated during the pat down.

Can anyone give me any pointers on how to make sure I’m given the right to choose etc?

Thanks a lot!

7. Tera says:

not a big issue, in my humble opinion. what the commenter said above, about chlorophyll. we have some in a little bottle, and a teaspoon a day works!

8. Janet Doane says:

They totally freak me out – they have the worst aura… I’d opt for a pat-down for sure. One thing my husband and I do before flying is take Yarrow Environmental Solution flower essence mix from FES – it is reputed to help protect against radiation.

9. RJ says:

I agree with Nancy,above. Have you veiwed the 8 part film by Max Igram on YouTube?

Very interesting. Wish the masses new…

10. Gini says:

Here’s what Dr Mercola said about scanners: “As for the level of health hazard, I sincerely believe the most significant risk you have when flying is due to ionizing radiation but NOT from these scanners; it is from actually flying at 35,000 feet. We were never meant to be living this high above the ground. So what can you do? The simplest solution is to fly at night or at least avoid flying from 8 a.m. to 5 p.m., with noon being the worst. If you fly at night you can reduce your radiation risk by 99 percent because nearly all of the radiation from the sun is being blocked by the earth.”

However, that article was November 2010 before the retesting of the scanners. He also said “the next best solution I have found is to use the most potent lipid-soluble free radical antioxidant.”

Kevin, I have a question about the Coco-Biotic in the store. It says: “Plus, it contains healthy fermented grains, which provide natural food for the probiotic bacteria. Not only that, but the friendly bacteria also feed on the natural sugars from the young coconut water.”
    But I can’t find the ingredients listed. What kind of grains? Is it gluten free?

11. Jude says:

I highly recommend viewing this information from another health guru:

No offense to Kevin; this is not about competition anymore, but information. I feel the public, in what ever way, NEEDS to know this stuff now! I’m sure Kevin will agree.

THanks,

Judy Utah

12. diane says:

i just became a flight attendant 2 weeks ago. this is definitely a concern to me. also, i live in Guam (about 1500 miles south of Japan). i can’t wait to hear your thought on that situation as well. keep the info coming kevin!

13. Matthew Pollard says:

Anything that even has the potential to harm my health is not something I will be a part of. Radiation is radiation regardless of how much is being emitted.

14. Mark says:

Nancy, you’re right on the money. The underwear bomber was escorted through security by a well dressed man who insisted he get on the plane without a passport.

Former head of Homeland Security Michael Chertoff is a high priced consultant to The main manufacturer of the scanners Rapiscan inc.
    Several other former Fed. politicians and their aides also are lobbyists for the naked body scanner industry. This is all about control and power. If the sheeple put up with this they’ll put up with anything.

What a sad state of affairs we’ve come to when you have to make a choice of being radiated or sexually molested in order to get on a plane, and now they’re preparing to expand this invasion of privacy to trains, busses and other public places, ie; sports stadiums.

As Ben Franklin said: those that give up liberty for a little security deserve neither.

15. Christie says:

I avoid them like the plague, and there’s no way my kids are going in them. However, my girls aren’t going to have some TSA agent frisking them either.
    I travel with my kids several times a year and every time they put me in the regular metal detector line.

16. Carol says:

I have heard that big busted women are being
    asked to go through the machines because of
    the potential to hide something in there, and
    I believe that they are targeting certain types
    of people to go through the machines.
    Not only are the machines not safe, but also an invasion of privacy.

17. Gabe says:

Toxic and a big deal.

I’m curious if anyone knows how the radiation levels dosed by the airport scanners compares with the level we are now hearing about in Japan.

Any ideas?

18. Very good of you Kevin to take this up, I had no idea that x-ray scanners where so dangerous (even though I have been suspicious) I will definitely not go for the x-ray line next time I fly! I don’t know if I have went through anyone but I hope not. : )

How dangerous is it to be in an airplane? (accept that it can crash…) =/

Thank you for your sharing.

19. Brian Root says:

I don’t really worry about it.
    I just smoke a few Camel cigarettes, and everything is fine.
    My doctor recommended it!

20. Sue says:

Well, if the choice is to be searched or to be in a plane that explodes in mid-air, I choose to be searched! As to how it is done, no option is a good one!

21. Laura Sholtz says:

The TSA should be disbanded. The cancer-causing body scanners are not there to keep anyone “safe.” If it were safety anyone cared about, trained dogs would be used, at a cost far, far less than even one killing scanner. I won’t fly until scanners are a thing for the history books, if anyone is alive to read them. Why would people be sanguine enough to think all these invasive and immoral tactics are just fine? They are abuse, plain and simple, in addition to denying us, as American citizens, our Constitutional rights.

22. Jan Podolske says:

Thanks for all the info!

23. rachel says:

The scanners are another method to take away our basic democratic rights and freedom. Invasions of privacy. The entire ‘terrorist’
    issue is for the purpose of creating fear so we become co-dependent sheep on the mis-leaders who place themselves in charge. Luckily consciousness is changing and the sheeple are waking up, this is the greatest fear of the mis-leaders…that we will discover they are NOT working for us and they are a liability and an unnecessary expense to our growth. Support your immune system and detox as much as you can as the chemtrails they spray (aluminum/barium), GMO’s, radiation they spread need a strong immune system to keep yourself healthy…
    namaste’, rachel

24. Brooke says:

Thank you so much, Kevin, for bringing this to people’s attention. The point isn’t about the level of radiation. It’s the fact that these machines are giving off radiation at all. We don’t need any more exposure whatsoever. I’m 24 years old and I don’t want my kids growing up in this environment. It’s ridiculous that they herd us like sheep through the radiating scanners and sexual harassment patdowns all in the name of security when over the last two weeks people have got on airplanes with steak knives and box cutters. I refuse to fly as long as those scanners and patdowns are in place. Luckily, I live close to my family and my job does not require travel. I pray for the people not as fortunate….

25. Les says:

The government is intent to make people as sick as possible as quickly as they can so that people are no longer able to fight back. Just look at what they are doing with the food supply irradiating everything, war on raw milk ie. real food that is still good for us. They want to institute Codex where we will only have access to suboptimal nutrition. They want to make us sick make a profit off of us and then watch us die. They do not listen to the people anymore and are so far into their agenda that they dont care what people think. Population control is on their agenda as well look at the Georgia Guide Stones. We are just the Ants that need to be stepped on. Please follow the money to find out who your real enemies are.!!!!!

26. Chris Crescioli says:

Like virtually all questions of how dangerous is this, the true answer is unique to each of us. Regarding radiation this is the wrong question, it should be “How much radiation have you been exposed to in the past?” Last fall I had a cat scan and xray due to a small bowel obstruction. Then a couple months later I had pneumonia with a couple more chest xrays. When I went to the dentist I told them no xrays, cuz I am overloaded right now. This additional radiation burden will put some people over the top. The rich don’t care about that, they just want to protect their property. They are immoral, and have millions of sheep to protect them.

27. PE says:

I’ve yet to see any response to the request from the many people at UC San Francisco Med Ctr asking TSA to rethink the effects of compton-scattering radiation from those devices.
    I presume such response will be/has been perfunctory, yet it’s important to see the unskilled being openly contemptuous of the skilled and concerned.
    If only capitalism had been compatible with democracy…

28. Debbie says:

Totally toxic. I wouldn’t go through one to the point that I would stop travelling if I had to go through one. I would drive or anything else to avoid one.

29. Erica says:

One of my favorite excuses I’ve heard used to skip the scanners is the person mentioned that they have a questionable area on their skin that could become cancerous if exposed the any radiation, and that they would rather not go through the scanners because it could be a big liability for the TSA. TSA walked him right through without a problem.

That was fast thinking I thought.

30. Chris says:

Oh Brian you are too funny!! You made me laugh. . but I hope you are kidding. .

31. Chris says:

Great replies today.. Well, do everything you can to take care of yourself.. There is a lot of truth in that we cannot trust anyone but ourselves to take care of us. . Do not risk if you don’t have to. .
    Be well all.

32. Thomas says:

Here is a recent news article describing some relative radiation exposures:

Watch those bananas. :-)

33. Sherri says:

I’d be searched… and would insist.

I’d also become a comical vocal commentary as each part was touched… oh yes!

They’ll be far more embarrassed then me ;)~ Guaranteed….!

That is what they want… us in fear

34. barbara says:

Very toxic

1. forced scanners and detailed pat pat downs of every citizen is UNCONSTITUTIONAL.

2. You just need to say, It is my constitutional right to refuse either, it’s been done and they at first may try to scare you into the pat down, or get asupervisor but they walk you right out.

3. It’s criminal what parents allow the tsa to do to their children with pat downs. Some of the children are so frightened and screaming and mommie turns her head the other way saying it’s ok. The kid’s emotionally terrorized. It’s against the law for anyone to do this to children, I don’t care what the fear tactic reason is. What are these children being taught, oh it’s ok it’s the government? A pediophile ring was just stung…70,000 online international child stalkers made up of teachers, police and clergy and every day joes. We are teaching them to be too trusting, they’re becoming numb to those you really can’t trust (mommy says it’s ok,it must be ok – well it’s not ok) and are being harmed by them. PROTECT YOUR CHILDREN, YOU’RE ALL THEY’VE GOT.

4. seniors being taken out of wheel chairs and forced to stand and be violated too. Sinful, and AGAINST the constitution.

So, if enough people write their congress people and STAND UP for themselves and state their constitutional rights and refuse a scanning and a pat down, these thugs and machines will go away.

35. June says:

Radiation is Radiation, in any way they try to dress it up. We have enough radiation with the cell phones, which speed up our brain cells; for my side I will avoid the radiation, and I don’t like the idea of the pat down either… I guess WE,THE PEOPLE, DON’T HAVE RIGHTS ANYMORE! What’s next?

36. Richard says:

Kevin, Please start on the MAKING YOUR OWN MATTRESS EPISODE soon, very soon. Thx

37. Linda says:

I did my traveling for the most part when I was younger. Went halfway round the world. It was wonderful! Most of my friends and relatives live near enough to me to drive or take a train or even a bus(shiver and shake)lol. I think that we have been had by those we have put in place to save us. We are losing more and more of our civil liberties under the guise of protecting us. If you truly think about it many “regimes” started out to ‘protect’ their citizens, they became so indoctrinated to lining up and following orders that the next steps were inevitable. We should really study history more indepth so we don’t, inadvertently repeat mistakes others have made. America is not immune especially when we are looking to the left when slight of hand is going on, on the right. I love this country, but I’m not blind to our vulnerability. You don’t have to agree but just keep your eyes and ears open. Example: bills being passed despite significant public outcry. Representatives who vote on bills without reading or researching the likely impact…just following the crowd, friends or,you know.

38. Jer says:

If I ever fly again, it will be private if possible, and if not, then I will go through a pat-down or whatever; which is demeaning to say the least.

The truth of what happened on 9/11/01 is yet the primary issue; forget conspiracy and forget real or imagined threats from terrorists for a moment and focus on the innumerable discrepancies which have not been answered to date surrounding the events which led up to and include 9/11/01 and the ramp-up to war which followed.

Terrorism was always the pervue of the police, not military. Yet, we have these “scanners” to make us feel safe?

39. Lyn says:

My daughter was getting on in Vegas recently and for some reason they were putting every person into one of these machines. She opted out, and the security people were very startled and frustrated, but allowed her to receive the full pat down instead. She said it was just amazing to watch every single person, no exception, just file right in to be xrayed–no questions asked!