Fresh Beet, Avocado, Grapefruit and Mint Salad with Lime Vinaigrette : The Renegade Health Show Episode #782

Wednesday Mar 16, 2011 | BY |

We found out yesterday that we live about 4 blocks from a year-round farmer’s market here in Berkeley.

We knew there were plenty in the area, but no idea there was one that close.

It gets better and better here everyday. :-)

Today, Annmarie is going to recreate a salad that we had at the Love Apple – a organic restaurant in Taos, New Mexico.

This salad is possibly one of the best that I’ve ever had.

Check it out…

Your question of the day: What is your favorite garnish?

Here’s the raw food recipe…

Fresh Beet, Avocado, Grapefruit and Mint Salad with Lime Vinaigrette

Salad:

4 Beets – grated
8 slices of grapefruit (seeds removed)
8 slices of avocado
2-3 leaves of mint

Optional:

Handful of Miner’s lettuce
3-4 leaves of sorrel

Dressing:

2 small limes, or 1 large
2 tbsp Olive Oil
dash of sea salt

Arrange on you plate as you like! This will make 2 big servings.

Kev and Ann

1. rox says:

Just started watching your videos & I love them! I’m eating more raw and love all the great information. Thanks! :)

2. Betsy says:

chia seed and hemp seed!!

3. Bonnie says:

I tend to garish with sauerkraut or hemp seeds. You guys rock! You’re so down to earth. Love you guys!

4. Page says:

Fresh herbs – the kind used depends on the dish. Were the beets raw in this recipe?

I love the way Johnny 5 was trying to cover up his food. My cat does the same thing.

5. mark e says:

I’ve never even HEARD of miner’s lettuce! I garnish with raisins, sunflower seeds, and unsweetened shredded coconut!

6. Pat Godinez says:

You went to my fave farmer’s market on Darcy and MLK! A couple of days ago, I said it was the best IMHO in the Bay Area. I used to shop there from ’03-’05. I discovered granulated seaweed there, and ate a lot of Blessing’s wraps. Bob (R.I.P.) ate mostly Flacos food. Later, it came out that Alice Waters shops there, because they have the greatest variety within one skinny block or things to buy than anywhere in the bay area. If you like tomatoes, Lucero has an amazing assortment. Would love for you to make a tomato-based something or other.

You will love the farmers market in the fall and winter. The merchants oftentimes hang lanterns, since the sun sets soon.

Glad you’re in my area. From CT to CA…wow!

Pat aka Irondoll

7. is olive oil really a health food?
    I have since cut it out of my diet and feel better without it… any opinions?

8. Sarah Love says:

this salad looks amazing! i have a question regarding the miner’s lettuce . . . i live in northern california (btw. tahoe and sac) and there is a TON of wild miner’s lettuce growing near my house. would it be acceptable to eat, after proper cleaning, of course? it grows like gang busters up here!

by the way, congrats on your move and WELCOME to california! xo

9. OMG!! It looks sooo tasty :D
    I think I will cultivate both sorrel and miner’s lettuce this year in our garden ; ) yum yum hehe.
    Thank you!!!

10. Geraldine says:

Awesome!! Thank you!! Will you talk soon about the nuclear fallout? What do you think of David Wolfe recommendations to eat kelp, ginseng, chlorella, fulvic acid, nascent iodine, zeolite, etc?

Efficient? Should we do that? Isn’t ginseng a stimulant? What’s your advice about all of this?

11. eyla says:

Looks delicious, thanks!
    I don’t really garnish my food, I like edible garnishes though as long as they go with the food.

12. Favorite garnish… cinnamon!! I put it on everything :)

13. There’s something about beet with avocado that’s just amazing… throw in some citrus, and it just gets better :) I like to use orange as well. My favorite garnish on beets in particular is sesame seeds – they just look so pretty! I like the idea of coconut as well, I think I may try that next time – thanks Mark E!

14. Dee says:

I love your recipe shows. Thank you.

15. Leam says:

For salad, enjoy garnishing with edible flowers petals such as calendula. It looks like eating sunshine:) Enjoy herbs like parsley, chives, chervil, basil or other herbs depending on the dish. Sauerkraut does make a yummy garnish as well.

16. Nadia says:

Probably basil or cilantro are my favourite garnishes. What other people use as garnish, though, I usually use as a full on ingredient.

On sweeter dishes a sprinkle of cinnamon powder is usually a favourite.

Great looking salad!

17. MtnHarmony says:

Maybe I am missin gsomething but i haven’t seen any miner’s lettuce in TN or GA… or anywhere out east. I will have to research growing it and sorrel.

18. Linda Miller says:

I use just straight fresh squeezed lemon juice and flaxseed oil for my salad dressing. It seems like I could substitute the flax seed oil for the olive oil.

As far as garnish, I’m not very talented in doing that kind of thing, but would probably use parsley.

19. Tam says:

Your question got me to finally open this salad booster garnish i have had on the shelf.

I put it in some coconut cremed corn and it is sooo good… a new fav i think… I am a beginner garnisher, but this flavor is great!~

20. Melina says:

Miner’s lettuce does grow wild in Ca. That is really neat you guys found it at the farmer’s market. California farmer’s markets are the best!

21. Your “miner’s lettuce” looks like my nasturtium leaves. ARE they the same? Nasturtium leaves are kinda peppery, which would probably be the reason they work in this recipe?

22. esther says:

I like cilantro; avocado; lime; radish. Gives it more of Spanish flavor which is something I got from my upbringing.
    Yeah! You’re going to the Berkeley farmers markets! I like the Tuesday; Thursday and Saturday most of all!
    Happy Spring!
    esther

23. Veronika says:

Your lemon juicer contraption on the vitamix is genius!

I don’t use garnishes often, but I guess mint would be my favorite. I tend to use herbs like parsley more liberally than as a garnish.

If it’s the Tuesday West Berkeley Farmers Market you’re going to, look out for an amazing deal on organic, raw, unpasteurized almonds during a short period of time during almond season. There is a woman who sells them for $5/pound if you get at least 5 pounds – I don’t know the name of her or her farm unfortunately, but she usually sets up shop in the middle of the market, with some other produce around her in the tent. We stock up and keep it in our freezer.

I think the reason her prices are so cheap is because she only sells for a short period during almond season to get rid of all of them while they’re fresh. Most other farmers store them and sell older organic almonds year-round, for $12+/pound.

Oh, you can also participate in the yearly almond bulk-buy that the East Bay Raw Food Meetup coordinates. It’s usually $6/pound for unsprayed almonds…not sure if they’re certified organic or if they get it from the same farmer each time.

24. Gini says:

Spiralina Crunchies and hemp seeds!
    I have not heard of miners lettuce.
    I’ll look for seeds to plant in my garden.

25. jackie says:

I’ve never seen Miners lettuce before….live near Chicago. I’m so glad to see AnnMarie “cook” again!
    Blessings on your new home; hope you enjoy it there.

26. Nice salad,think I’ll give it a whirl. Enjoy!

27. Yamina says:

Hi Ann and Kevin !
    I’ve never seen this beautiful miner’s lettuce… It looks like lotus… Beauty and peace…
    Yamina

28. Magdalene says:

Looks good ! I esp.like to use chives, plus all the other herbs like cilantro and parsley.
    That knife looks great, what kind is it ? Please let me know , I wonder if I can get it here in Germany ! Is it a ceramic knife ?

29. natalya says:

I like dill for everything. I saw miners lettuce growing in the Golden Gate park in San Francisco.
    Stay, guys, safe there in Bay area.

30. barbara says:

Wild minors lettuce grows up in Tilden Park. Also you can forage for watercress too. Nasturtiums you can eat the leaves and flowers. Orange is a good citus to use with greens. I also use garam masala an Indian spice, with beets, carrots, parsinips grated. In CT I used to eat off my lawn. Violet leaves are very tasty and free off the lawn. Dill is a great garnish too. Been putting parsley and celantro with my red and green swiss chard from my yard in my green smoothies.

31. krystyna says:

Great, beautiful and healthy salad!
    You both do the best job!
    THANKS!!!
    Beautiful lovely couple you are,
    love you!

32. Eve says:

Wow, that looks so delish! The beets in my garden are about a week away from harvesting-size and I am so excited now!

Never heard of Miner’s lettuce, but I will definitely look for it now…and for seeds so I can grow some.

Ann Marie, you make GORGEOUS food. Thanks for sharing it with us.

BUT…I got scared for your fingers, when you chopped the mint/sorrel! A chef once showed me to hold the greens down, but rest your index knuckle toward or even touching the side of the knife, so you never chiffonade a fingertip by mistake. Just a thought. (Or, I can just close my eyes next time I see you about to chiffonade!)

33. Eve says:

Attn: RECIPROCITY FOODS: (re: your link to utube Novick video about, Is Olive Oil Bad?)

Novick has some useful information, but not in the case of olive oil.

I don’t think he understands FMD (Flow Mediated Dilation) well enough to interpret the study he talked about.

For one thing, FMD measures…what? It doesn’t tell you ANYTHING about the relative health impact of olive oil.

But to say – FMD slowed by 31% – sure sounds scary!

Novick is referring to one maverick study done in March 2000 by Dr. Robert Vogel at Pritikin. It has been hypothesized that Dean Ornish, in 2007, jumped on publicizing this study only because his own diet got shot down by a 2006 study that said folks on the Mediterranian Diet fared better than on very-low-fat diets. Ornish is a king of very-low-fat diets.

For a more realistic take on the Vogel study and olive oil in general, check out:

Also useful, from the references below:

“There is a large body of clinical data to show that consumption of olive oil can provide heart health benefits such as favourable effects on cholesterol regulation and LDL cholesterol oxidation, and that it exerts antiinflamatory, antithrombotic, antihypertensive as well as vasodilatory effects both in animals and in humans.”

• Covas MI (March 2007). “Olive oil and the cardiovascular system”. Pharmacol. Res. 55 (3): 175–86. doi:10.1016/j.phrs.2007.01.010. PMID 17321749.
    • ^ Mayo Clinic. “Olive Oil: What are the health benefits?”.
    • ^ Turner R, Etienne N, Alonso MG, et al. (January 2005). “Antioxidant and anti-atherogenic activities of olive oil phenolics”. Int J Vitam Nutr Res 75 (1): 61–70.

p.s. I have NO vested interest in Olive Oil – I’d cut it out of my diet if I thought it was in any way harmful.

I DO have a vested interest in knowing the truth.

34. YUM, YUM, YUM. All my favorite things in ONE salad.

Thank you SO much for sharing this recipe.

Heather