How to Tell If Your Hormones Are Unbalanced (For Women) : The Renegade Health Show #779

Friday Mar 11, 2011 | BY |

In this final installment of the sit-down interview we did with Dr. J. E. Williams, we ask him about some of the most pressing woman’s health issues…

He then explains how a woman can tell if her hormones are unbalanced, how she can tell if her estrogen levels are low or high, how to determine if her testosterone levels are too high or too low and how to determine what health issues she may have if she’s always tired, agitated, moody, dry or not feeling quite right.

Your question of the day: Do you like it warm or cold? (Jonny 5 likes the heat!)

1. Beth says:

I don’t mind if it is cold, as long as the sun is out. Johnny5 knows where it is at!

2. rui says:

NOTICE HE SAID EAT ALOT OF VEGETABLES AND PROTEIN!! HE DIDNT SAY FRUIT!!!! I AGREE

3. RawGuru says:

I feel like every women i talk to has something hormonally “off” going on. I think with all we are bombarded with these days it’s pretty impossible for the body to keep up completely and maintain balance. Hormones are so delicate and easily influenced. So many hormone mimicking substances in our environments now too, many i’m sure we’ve yet to even be educated about. Anyways, i side with Johnny 5, heat for me please!

4. Shirley says:

I love it when it is warm. I went to Hawaii in the last part of January and the first part of February. It was 80 degrees every day and 60-65 degrees at night. PERFECT!

5. I don’t believe this man has much credibility talking about women’s issues. Women going through “Crazies” are what society likes to call women getting a backbone, expressing themselves fully. When a woman is conflicted about her sense of worth then she will “feel” crazy because never before has she experienced true liberation.

6. Barbara W. says:

After having spent most of my life in Ohio, then the past 10 years in Florida, I definitely prefer the heat over the cold. Berkeley being in between sounds like a perfect compromise.

7. Cindy says:

This question really tickled my fancy. My daughters & I have had many conversations about whether we like it cold or hot. Both of my daughters prefer the cold, but I prefer the heat. While I don’t like it when it’s really really hot, I think it’s easier to deal with than trying to keep myself warm when it’s cold.

8. I like the warm weather! But not toooooo warm of course! :D
    I wished I live in a warm country so much!
    I live in Sweden and we still have a lot of snow =(( But it has started to melt away today and the birds are singing so I hope the spring will be here soon :D

9. Sheila says:

I’ll take warm any day over cold.

10. I’ll take warm over cold or hot any day! I live in southern Idaho where we get equal amounts of hot and cold and warm in between both of those seasons. I love the climate here.

11. Gen says:

I used to prefer it a little on the cool side — not cold, but 70s temps. But now for some reason, I am really feeling the cold and I get white fingers and toes, so I find myself turning up the heat and dressing warmer. Most likely related to what Dr. Williams was talking about! More info on this topic would be greatly appreciated.

12. suzanne says:

I live in Texas and the summers can be unbearable 102-105 in July w/80% humidity. I’ll take cold any day. You can always add more clothes for cold but can only take off so much when you’re out and about.

13. Suzen says:

I gained much insight from Dr. Williams lecture here. I think he has total credibility and explains this topic clearly with practical application advice. Both in myself and my friends, our ‘crazy’ phases were definitely hormonal imbalance induced, if honesty is to prevail. Still working on good health everyday and am looking forward to more of Dr. Williams’ posts with much appreciation. ***Best of luck in your new Crib! Johnny 5 seems to like the sunny spot like my dog Buddy!

14. Irondoll or Pat G. says:

I like it cool. I live in Daly City which stays cool. I can leave nuts, seeds and some fruits and veggies in the basement without worrying they’ll get rancid or rot right away. I’m also spoiled with a view of The City from my dining and living rooms.

I’ve noticed that the few busty friends I have enjoy wheat products a lot i.e., bread and pasta. They also have manstuation issues e.g. pain, cramps. I thought wheat was estrogen rich before I made these observations.

15. Irondoll or Pat G. says:

Ooops….menstruation issues…

16. Irondoll or Pat G. says:

BTW, I went menopausal at 51, which meant putting on and taking off my sweater many times one evening while opening and closing the window. I think I had a few episodes feeling oddly hot and cold, which lasted several weeks. I also fasted later for 28 days, and my period came back as long as I was raw. Rozalind Gruben PhD told me to use birth control, since she thought I was still ovulating.

17. nancy says:

warm warm warm !
    i don’t mind the snow but i can’t stand the cold weather…

18. Sue says:

I like a warm temp to exercise in, as in taking walks outside. I so often have cold hands and feet, and had to wear my jacket inside this winter just to feel comfortable! I would love to live in snow country, but after freezing this winter, I’m not sure I’d feel comfortable if my dreams were a reality!

19. Sherri says:

Great stuff on hormones, does he have a book on it? Too many women out there in the “crazies” yes! They just don’t take care of themselves, but they also are spoon fed so much crap from Social-Media-Medical… etc, that most are lost.

Myself was included until I made new choices for myself in health. Now thriving more every year… and I’m 46 feeling far better than I did at 21 :) ~Listen~Learn~Research~ empower yourself….

20. D says:

Your eyes look soooooo blue!

21. Kristin says:

I like the somewhere-in-between weather…I feel like a slug when it gets over 75 F, and when it’s very cold I get real tense and can’t relax without a hot bath. Currently I’m seeing an acupunturist and he thinks he can help with the heat/cold intolerance….I sure hope so because summer is coming, and I’m dreading it!

22. phoenix says:

when i think of temps i like i think of a constant temp which i dont get i leave in the midwest and we have 4 seasons and as i get older they are harder to deal with the ideal temp for me would be 50 degrees year round you wouldnt need a coat and would need air conditioning if anyone knows where this kind of weather is please inform me as i would move there

23. Anne says:

HI there,

I prefer the weather to be mild. Ie I don’t like it too cold and I don’t like it too hot. For example the humid heat drives me nuts and so does winters. I think the Vancouver, Canada summers are perfect and I’ll have to find somewhere else to live in winter as I’m determined to avoid any further winters here.

It’d be nice to have some sunshine and I may return to Australia for that reason.

24. Nancey says:

Blood tests for hormones – NO! They measure bound and unbound hormones and cannot separate them. The bound ones are used and on their way OUT of the body, whereas unbound are usable. So, the only way is to do a saliva hormone test for accuracy. I give my clients Theresa Dale’s hormone test done through Diagnostechs. See her website http://www.wellnesscenter.net and read about how to work with hormones using homeopathics to balance Naturally – Not BioIdentical. Maybe introduce Dr. Williams to Dr. Dale’s book – great read.

25. I live in Marin County and we love to be outdoors whenever possible. I prefer the warm sunny days over cold weather days. We had some early spring weeks last month and it was wonderful!!!

26. Lori says:

Hot! I live in WI and the winters are just to cold. We have horses, so hoping to move to TN or KY one day!

27. Sharon says:

Definitely warm. I hate layering on clothes and footwear. The less clothes the better.

Great show today! The “crazies” are real for sure. Nothing to do with female liberation, LOL…it’s like clockwork to those who have it. Many are not even aware of it happening unless they are writing down the dates or are in tune with their cycle.

If a woman consumes dairy she is FAR more likely to get PMS. Even eliminating dairy from ovulation till menstruation is over will get rid of PMS symptoms in most women. If you ever do another show about this topic please mention it. It can save a lot of pain, pimples and anger.

28. Foofa says:

Congrats on your new apt! I definitely like it warm; i just can’t function properly in cold weather and the moment i feel a little bit cold I feel like my brain needs to go into deep sleep. It was great hearing Dr Williams talk about hormones. I’d really like to hear his thoughts on sleep issues (like the problems with young women experiencing excessive sleepiness and needing 11-12 hours/day or more), and if that relates to hormonal imbalances.

29. Space Walk Traveller says:

Bring on the heat. Life is better when it’s hot!!!

30. Amber says:

I am a happy camper when it is warm. I don’t think I am meant for the cold. Can’t wait for summer!

31. Nick says:

Since we’re bound to have nuclear fallout reaching the westcoast & sweeping from there eastward I believe yet another few words are due about the thyroid and good vegan(low on the foodchain) souces of potassium iodide & general dietary positioning (like under a desk in a 1950’s classroom) for life support thru this. It may not be all that bad, in as far as from the stories I’ve read about Chernobyl, those receiving potassium iodide were fine compared to those went without any said source — Wikipedia :-) Oh well.

Then Ann commenting above seems to be considering moving back to Australia from Vancouver. I’d like more sunshine too. I was brought up here and it used to be far worse, in that respect. Definitely socked in for more weeks per year in generally light rains, that characterizes rainforest weather. Basically, deforestation has caused a lengthening of sunny periods to the point of increasing drought frequency, from, say, a farmer’s as opposed to a beachgoer’s POV. Anyway, the northern hemisphere has more ozone layer, probably due to the density of landmasses with plants off-gassing oxygen, the abundance of which forms the ozone layer.

Whether you return or stay, retreeing is needed. I believe reforesting with the native diversity that the mycellial undermat (like the root networks of mushrooms) will accept can do immense amounts towards healing so much that ails our “fully sick” (an Aussieism) world, including being an integral part of rebuilding the ozone layer, which is just what Australia needs, eh.

One thing I learned back in my days of TCM study is that the herbs which are native to this coastal region are just right to stave off or nourish against pathogenic cold, wind & wetness. Yeah, the Chinese liken the systems running in our bodies to be like an inner climate that becomes infected by the outward climatic extremes. I prefer this myself, believing we do more “catch cold” than we do thru all the germ viral bacterial bafflegab of contagion, with this increased mad OC use of anti-bacterial soaps, as if we don’t even have immune systems…that need exercising–gawd!

32. JiLLie says:

I just have to say, that I prefer the heat as opposed to the cold. I live in MI and the older I get (btw, I’m 49) the less I like the cold… brrrrr.. I think there are many more things to do in the warmer weather and more FUN things to do in the summer. Cold weather just makes me wanna stay in where its warm. If you can stand the cold, it must be a blessing.. I have poor circulation and I think thats why I can’t stand to be out in it too long.. Maybe one day I will move further south, to be in a warmer climate. Wishing you all as much warmth as you need and want :)
    Jillie

33. LuAnn says:

I love the heat as I grow older. I live in San Diego and it’s just about perfect for me. I can’t wait for the HEAT of summer! Coming originally from Michigan, I know what it’s like to be cold and I don’t like it. Bring on the sunshine!

34. Dee says:

Somewhere in between, used to live in the Northeast- Buffalo & Boston, don’t like that kind of cold. Now I live in Dallas, and I don’t like triple digit summers.

35. Warm, warm, warm… if not hot!! Hate the cold!!

Hawaii/Cali/Nola/Miami are my places, hope to be out of this hole here soon!!

36. Juli Falk says:

Definitely warm to hot! I have low thyroid and even medicated I AM ALWAYS COLD. Wintering in FL keeps me outdoors all winter enjoying the sun and outdoor activities.

37. Ann Lihl says:

Warm for me. I live in California and it’s perfect for me over here, but then I have lived here my entire life. For my mom, who is from England, she prefers the cold. She lived in California for 25 yrs and hated it because she literally got sick in the summers, passed out all the time, and was nauseous. She couldn’t wait to get out of the heat and into the more colder environment and now resides in Oregon. She prefers rainy weather (and often when I go where she lives, I’m too cold).

38. Helen says:

I like warm and dry conditions but definitely not humid! I swell up like a balloon! I can also tolerate crisp, cold winter days but not mild, wet weather.

39. Christine says:

I must have heat! I have back and neck problems all winter from being tensed up all day. I do not like to be cold!!!

40. Cheryl says:

When you live on an island as I do, a few cold days are very welcome!

41. Diane says:

I prefer it in between. I really dislike the heat and humidity of the northeast!! I love fall and spring but if I have to choose I would prefer cold to hot but prefer warm to all. Love California (ie Berkley/San Francisco mildness).