Are MSM and Glucosamine Really Good for Your Joints? : The Renegade Health Show Episode #768

Thursday Feb 24, 2011 | BY |

We’re making our way West, but that doesn’t mean we still can’t bring you some more Q & A with Dr. Williams…

In this episode, I ask if MSM, chondroitin, and glucosamine are effective natural joint repair supplements.

Your question of the day: Have you used MSM, glucosamine or chondroitin to help your joints?

1. lisa says:

well, i know that glucosamine worked wonders with my dog’s arthritis!

2. Beth says:

Haven’t used any of them.

Once again, great information from Dr. Williams.

3. Hello you guys!
    I take MSM on a regular basic, not because I have any problems with my joints or anything, I take it because I work out a lot!! Everything from running, yoga, bodyweight excercises, gymclasses, hiking and spinning classes. So I take it to prevent any injury or sore muscles. =)
    I take 1 tsp (5 grams) a day, blend it with a whole lemon (juice) and some water in a glass and drink half of it in the morning and the rest in the evening! It works really well, my hair is stronger and my acne is much better and I have no injuries :D

But maybe I should only take 1 gram instead of 5 grams as I do today, now when I have heard Dr. Williams talk about it!

I have just assumed that you needed to take 1 tsp (5 grams), but according to Dr. Williams you only need to do that if you have some problems with inflammation etc.

Wheey happy news for me, my MSM bag will last much longer now LOL :D

4. Fontrella says:

I have taken glucosamine before. I stop taking it because I didn’t feel the affect. I am now looking into taking MSM. So thanks for this video. I think I will give MSM a try now.

5. Nichole says:

I LOVE these segments! Please keep them coming! :) Thank you so much. You are the Best.

6. Karen says:

I take MSM on most days – just a small amount – not for any special reason, just because – added to my morning drink. Love these shows from Dr. Williams.

Are you guys on your way to the Longevity Now Conference?

BTY, Cafe Gatitude will be opening in Los Angeles on March 4th!!!

7. MSM has been on the Juice Feasting Program for years… I first encountered its benefits when recovering from chronic inflammatory issues related to Acid Reflux Disease.

Read the book “The Miracle of MSM” by Dr. Stanley Jacob.

8. Sandy says:

I’ve been taking Organic Sulfur Crystals (MSM) for almost a year now- about 2 teaspoons a day and it’s made a huge difference in everything. It’s amazing stuff. I’ll keep taking it as long as I can buy the pure crystals as I’ve been getting.

9. John DeMoss says:

Thanks Kev enjoy your travels!
    I was taking small amounts of MSM (1000-2000mg) after listening to Avocado Wolfey started taking shovel fulls (ok like couple teaspoons couple times a day) I noticed a huge difference with my chronic pain and noticed the calcium crunchies in my body going away.Taking it with herbal c-complex.
    P.S
    Quantum Nutrition Labs makes amazing products and I have no affiliation just have taken lots of different products and all their stuff is clean and amazing FYI

10. I take MSM (1.8 g x2 daily) with good success for mild inflammation from years of yoga and an active life and now, for a car accident. It has also lengthened my hair and eyelashes and nails grow so fast (an added benefit). I use Sulfurzyme from Young Living, which also contains the Ningxia Wolfberry (great energy and immune system boost).

I’m about to start taking BLM (bones, ligaments, muscles) with more MSM, Glucosamine Sulfate and Collagen – Type II, plus essential oils for sure delivery into the blood stream. I believe it to be restorative and regenerative, as Dr. Williams notes.

Thank you for some great info, Kev. Yours is truly a great service!

11. Anna Richards says:

Sandy,What brand do you use?

12. Cora says:

I’ve been taking 1g MSM in the morning in my green smoothie for half a year and it helped a lot of miner conditions but brought on a heavy outbreak of my almost forgotten ulcerative colitis from the early nineties. It got gradually worth. Whenever I stopped taking MSM for a day or two it got a bit better, and worth if I resumed taking it again. Now we’ve run out of our MSM and havent’t been taking it for a week and the colitis is gone. This is all a bit puzzling to me as MSM is said to help with inflammatory diseases. Can it still be detox? I have been on a 100% raw diet in summer and high raw in winter for almost 2 years. Have you got a clue why that could be. Thanks!!

13. Susan says:

I take the equine version. It works out cheaper, but I don’t know if its stronger. I am only taking a quarter of a teaspoon a few times a day in a cup of tea.

How much is ‘overdose’?

14. Mary says:

Wow, AnnMarie Looks so buffed in top ad!! You go girl!!!

Hi Kev, I’ve used MSM with no results in the past, liked what he said about 1 gram in the morning with Melatonin at night. How much Melatonin I wonder…didn’t hear amount. Sounds like the combo works well.

Thanks John for info on Quantum Nutrition Labs as a tip & to take with Vit. C! oxox

15. Sue says:

I used a product that has a combination of MSM and glucosamine – 750mg each. Used it when I hurt my back from too much lifting.

16. Sue says:

Kevin, does Dr Williams have more info on using melatonin and MSM together as he talked about. I can understand using melatonin to restore circadian cycle but not sure why MSM

17. Sarah says:

I have not used Glucosamine, Chondroiting, MSM etc. for joint repair personally, but family members have taken them and say that they are beneficial. I probably should be taking them though because my knee/hip health sucks, and I have a strong family history of problems with these joints.

I have given them to my arthritic dog, and they seem to really help her with no side affects. If it’s good enough for my dog, then I figure it’s definitely good enough for me (although, maybe I shouldn’t be saying that because my other dog has been known to eat poop, dirt, dead leaves, etc. lol!).

18. Sue says:

Mary, sounds like Williams said to take 0.5 of melatonin which I presume is 0.5mg.

19. Kuru says:

Sandy, #6, please be more specific! What is everything???

QUESTION: Kevin, I recently read a comment by an MD, a proponent of bioidentical hormones, who cautions about anti-inflammatory drugs. He says they “block the inflammatory cycle, drive pain farther into the tissue, and interfere with the deposition of collagen, the main protein that holds us together. Inflammation is a necessary process that helps the body heal itself.” My question is could mega doses of MSM as recommended by David Wolfe for dissolving calcium deposits eventually interfere with deposition of collagen? And how would we know at what point that might be? Maybe you or Dr. Williams could address this. This therapy is very appealing to me. Thanks so much!

20. Sue says:

Acute inflammation is a healing response but when it becomes chronic we need to stop the inflammation.

21. claire says:

I have used glucosamine and chondrotin for many years and have found them to be be helpful especially for my knees and fingers. If I get lax and don’t take them consistently my fingers especially start to feel painful.

Thanks for the very helpful information.

22. Don says:

Krill oil with willow bark has given me more movement in my bad hip
    I tried MSM, glucosamine and chondroitin
    but think it is a waste of money
    I am also going to try borage oil,hyaluronic acid and boswellia
    For inflammation i take daily the following
    Krill oil,or hemp oil as it has DLA which works with the willow bark plus turmeric,resveratrol and pine bark extract
    I am a vegetarian and if krill oil helps me from getting a hip replacement so be it
    cheers
    Don

23. Dianne says:

The interviews with Dr.Williams are a gold mine! I take MSM 1 or 2 tsp. day and feel great. No body pain anymore. It’s been several years. I’ve been using the Mercola melatonin spray at night for a few months so great to know the synergy of this with the MSM.
    Would like to know about Bio-Identical Hormones…in my mid-fifties…I’ve always shied away from taken hormones in any form and only took the birth control pill for 2 weeks; Lucky for me I was brought up in a family that was reluctant to take medication so vitamins and food it is!
    Thanks to the two of you for your dedication to health and sharing! Much appreciated!

24. Alyse says:

I used to take Glucosamine and Chondroitin. I do think it helped my knees from all of the years of running, however, it did take months for any noticeable improvement. I have been using a dropperful of pure hyaluronic acid this past year and seem to have better results and quicker results. I also just received an order for MSM crystals, so the timing of this episode was awesome. Can’t wait to start the MSM, as I have been really bummed out about giving up running. BTW, I am in the midst of reading Dr. Williams’ book “Prolonging Health,” and I am loving his work. THANK YOU for introducing him to me!

25. Connie says:

Yes, I take equal amounts of MSM and Vit. C
    1,000mg ea. 2-3 times a day. Knee bothered me when I walked, now I run daily with no problems.
    I’ve been taking this for a couple years now.

26. Bob says:

I’ve tried quite a few things for joint pain and have had some successes and some not-so successful:

MSM: I have been taking 1+ rounded tsp per day for a couple of years due to hip problems. It helps, but is causing not “miraculous” improvement quickly.

Glucosamine and Chondroitin: I’ve also taken these in various doses and don’t see much effect, but it’s great to hear Dr. Williams’ perspective that these primarily rebuild the joint, but don’t give a lot of symptomatic relief.

I have found two supplements that seem to allow my pain levels to go down (when I take them), or up (when I stop taking them). These “miracle” pain relievers are:

Omega 3 oils (have tried a variety and find they all work somewhat, I’m currently using Barlean’s Fish Oil, may switch to Krill)

Mercola’s “Joint Formula”. My wife and I were both very surprised by this one. The day after we took them (2x recommended dose) our joint pain levels dropped by ~50% and have stayed down for the last 2 weeks since we started. This product has Eggshell membrane, Boswelia, Hyaluronic Acid and Astaxanthin.
    Thanks so much for Dr. Williams and for you guys!

-Bob

27. Susan says:

I take Glucosamin, Condroiton and Msn and it has helped me a lot. You don’t really notice how much it helps because it is a very subtle change but if you stop taking it in a short time you realize how much it did help. I had stopped for a while because I didn’t think it helped that much but because it was such a slow change I didn’t notice how much it had helped. When I started taking it again it was also a slow change but now I have almost no pain anymore. I will continue to take this combination

28. Kym says:

I was taking a hyaluronic acid and MSM combo with good results. I had chronic inflammation in my knees from too many squats and it seemed to clear that up well.

I tried melatonin but found it gave me disturbed sleep although it did improve my mood. I don’t recall the dosage.

What was the name of the book Dr. Williams mentioned? Was it his “Prolonging Health?”

29. oreganol says:

I haven’t used any of them, as I have never had any joint pain. I love these Dr Williams videos.

30. mary dicerni says:

I have never taken MSM. I don’t know why, but I do take HA, glucosamine with chondroitin , and liquid calcium and powdered magnesium for bones and joints. I am not sure if it is wright, but I do have less joint pain. I am 78 and do not eat beef, but have a little chicken or pork, or lamb occasionally. I never really thought about it, but recently was thinking of going more raw. I love salads with 1/2 an avocado included with the mix.. Very informative. Now I have to listen again and take notes. thank you both. I do love your attitude.

31. raw foodism says:

Hi…,

Its a video nice post and I haven’t used any of them before.
    Thanks for sharing.

32. Brenda says:

I have used Apis a homeopathic remedy for soreness in my fingers. I may give the msm a try but my system is very sensitive to everything. I was amazed when the Apis helped since so many remedies don’t fit the condition but they said that if it felt like a bee sting it should help and it did!

33. Debra says:

I’ve used MSM for stomach distress or nausea after eating and it’s been very helpful. I also heard that it sometimes works for Restless Leg Syndrome. The three times that I’ve tried it for my (now less frequent) RLS, it seems to have worked.

34. Julie says:

Hi Kevin,
    Thank you for your helpful tips coming our way. I am 70 years young. 15 years ago I was suddenly becoming quite badly crippled in my hands with osteoarthritis. Shortly after that I heard about Glucosamine Sulphate and I have taken 2000 mg for some time. If I forget to take it, even for two days, I have pain but, as long as I take it, I am pain-free.

35. jackie says:

Yes, I used glucosamine and chondroitin several years ago and they definitely helped my knees…so much so, in fact, that I haven’t had to use them since!

36. Karen says:

Hiya,

I’ve used MSM in the last year, starting with 1 tsp and now up to 2T per day in approx. 32 ounces of water, take to the gym with me. After reading Eating for Beauty (David Wolfe) I combine it with about 1/4 to 1/2 or more of camu powder. I use it mostly for anti-aging, beauty and hair especially! Makes hair beautiful, thick and curly! Mine anways..

I do wellness consults/massage/energy, and teach community education classes on everything from smoothies, to raw foods, and sell some superfoods from Ultimate Superfoods. So, I sell MSM and talk about it.

I only have seen one true contraindication and that was a very toxic individual in that she was taking many drugs for pain relief and had been in a couple vehicle accidents. Her endocrine system was way off and she got very hot and had a headache which we will never know if the MSM caused or not? As she was so symptomatic on many levels.

I incorporate a lot of mind/body into my practice of 8 years and she decided not to go any further. I like MSM and others used it and look and feel better.

I read something about it dissolving calcifications and something I heard about nanobacteria issues with MSM. I don’t use melatonin nor chondroitin. I do not have any joint issues, but I would if I ate pizza with my teenage son on a regular basis. Just eat some of that and I’m swollen the next day!

Take good care guys,

37. Nancy says:

does anyone know if MSM would help Tietze’s Syndrome?
    Thanks,
    Nancy

38. ralph derota says:

just started 3 days ago left knee cartilage totally torn. had cortsone did not work had 3 jell shots in knee did not work.know most pain in left knee allmost gone. right knee samething. know getting much better.taking glucosamine msm complex capsule. glucosamine 1500 mg 1000mg 2 aday with food.feeling much better hips& lower back. thank you dr. have tried alot of other things so far so good.

39. sesameB says:

Yes to MSM!!!
    Dew, barefootin’ & drinking wild water
    rural south central sunny Arkansas

40. Krishna says:

Hi
    Have just had my first dose of powdered concentrate glucosamine, chondroitin and optiMSM. Heavens, can I stomach another dose?
    You only have to take 4g, once daily. I took mine in orange juice with my spirulina.

It is so salty. Yuck.

Can anyone suggest a better way of taking it which reduces the taste?

cheers
    Kris

41. Gen says:

Hi Kevin,

Interesting info and I’ll pass it along to a friend with an arthritic Red Setter dog.

Question: About what age is Dr. Williams? He has such great skin. Must use Annmarie’s products, huh? LOL!

42. mindy says:

I have bought MSM throughDr. Stanley Jacob who wrote the book “The Miracle of MSM” and was on 60 minutes in the 70’s about DMSO. (check out YOUTUBE)

His product has been more effective then others forms I used prior. THey suggest holding the liquid in your mouth before swallowing for better effect. It is a bit bitter, but palatable, i even grew to like it.

I found I could use a hot tub with bromine used as detox agent when taking msm, and I got lung problems if I went in without using msm. Potent detoxifier.

Mixing it with other foods was not recommended by Dr. Jacobs as being as effective.

43. Stephen says:

I use glucosamine together with Deer Valvet extract,one capsule of each daily,very sucessfully on joint damage.Works much better as a combination than separately. Repairs in 2 weeks compared with 6 months.
    For joint pain I use 1 teaspoon daily in water or juice, of Diatomaceous earth(Fossil shell Flour).Friends have had great Athritis pain relief from this -they have thrown thier pills away- and it works immediately-the next day.

44. Ayn says:

I use MSM on a regular basis for arthritis. I notice when I DONT take it! It helps me a lot. Ive been taking it for several years now. I typically take a breaks from it also. If I take it 3X daily for about 2 months, then I can back off it to taking it 1X every day. From there, Ill take it for a while, stop, and start the process again once I hurt.

I also am very curious about the question that Kuru asked. Ill paste it, cause he worded it much nicer than I would have..

Kuru
    5:34 pm on February 24th, 2011

45. Mariel says:

I’m convinced that a combo of MSM,
    glucosamine, & chondroitin cured a knee injury. I was taking several tabs of MSM recently for hair loss and noticed a BIG difference in my skin . . . soft, smooth, clear. Would be good to know if all this does have any adverse effect as the benefits seem so wonderful. Would also like to know more about the combo of MSM & melatonin as I am a day sleeper and use melatonin often. Lots of food for thought here. Thank you for the info!

46. Yvon says:

I’ve had sore knees, so bad that it was hard to walk. I bought Holista Restorativ extra concentration Glucosamine with MSM. Every night I would rub some on my knees and after about a week I was back to normal. The pain was gone, after I’ve kept putting some everyday for about a month. Now I don’t use it more than once or twice a month just for maintenance. Plus I’ve stop eating meat except for small fishes a couple times a week which probably helped. Thank you for the videos.

47. Dasha says:

hi. i used to take an msm in tablet form a couple of years ago. it was recommended by my body builder friend who wrote articles on health after i told her about me starting a candida diet. i don’t remember any difference then. still trying to heal from candida in so many ways. lately i started taking msm again in a capsule form. and about a couple of weeks ago my boss shared his routine with me. he takes a shot 1st thing in the morning of half a tsp of powdered msm with about a tsp of powdered turmeric, half a tsp of cold pressed extra virgin coconut oil and a little bit of warm water to mix it all in. i started doing it every day too. he said it should make my skeleton stronger. so far i’m not sure if it made a big difference, but i probably need to do it for a while. otherwise i don’t really have any big joint pains, so don’t know how necessary it is to take msm.