Does the Raw Food Diet (Or Any Diet) Heal Adrenal Burnout? : The Renegade Health Show Episode #767

Wednesday Feb 23, 2011 | BY |

Today, we have more of your questions answered by Dr. Williams…

In this episode, he explains why the raw food diet (or any other diet) may not be the cure for adrenal burnout.

Your question of the day: When was the last time you got a good night’s sleep?

If you have more questions about adrenal burnout, please be sure to check out The Complete Adrenal Health Program here! This addresses many questions and covers foods, supplements and lifestyle changes needed to heal adrenals.

1. Beth says:

Got 2 great sleeps over the weekend. Felt very rested and woke up naturally without an alarm.

2. Amber says:

Great episode as always. I have noticed Dr. Williams is a bit soft spoken and harder to hear. Is there anyway to get him a microphone? 🙂

3. Debra says:

Earthing (a term coined in a book by that name by Clinton Ober and Stephen Sinclair) could be very beneficial for restoring cortisol rhythms, therefore addressing one cause of inadequate rest/sleep and adrenal exhaustion. To get the benefits of the earth’s electrons, people can sleep on skins on the ground like our ancestors, or they can sleep on a conductive sheet (made with silver strands) that is connected via an insulated wire to a grounding rod outside the bedroom window. This technique has been shown in a research study (or maybe more than one, but I don’t have the book in front of me) to normalize cortisol rhythms. Check out the interview between Dr. Mercola and a researcher/author on the subject by going to the earthinginstitute website.

4. mary says:

Sleep….. yes……..I used to be the champion of sleep! Now CFS has really messed it up. I would love to restore this life giving practice! Noga Nidra is my next attempt. I have been on Ambien for years and my wish is to say good bye to it forever!

5. NEVER and I could say that I literally slept my life away.

6. Dan Hegerich says:

Hello Kev,

Last night was a sound sleep scaled as a 3 out of 5 (5 being the very best) yet I do know that detoxification is amped up at night. Therefore, many phisiological and emotional toxins being eliminated can cause the nervous system to become irritated, our reptilian survival brain becomes hyper active disrupting sleep. Nocturnal hypoglycemia can also cause individual to wake up.

Most often it is the survival reptilian brain active since it controls the autonomic nervous system. Individuals with concerns over finances often sleep the worst. this has nothing to do with the amount of money or income one has but their psychological relationship with money. In our modern life money represents survival and growth. this often shows up in individuals spending money on stimulants, comforts and luxuries rather than prioroitizing health promoting foods and lifestyle factors such as play, creative outlets, intamacy, being in nature, etc…

As Dr. Williams stated restoring adrenal health has more to do with the circadian rhythms in harmony with natures cycle. I often suggest individuals take 4 full days and nights alone in cabin in the woods or a moderately warm climate away from cities and hustle and bustle. Cabins with a fire place and large bath tub are ideal as is a camp ground with hot springs. No cell phones, technology, and a simple wholesome diet and plenty of fluids (veggie juice, high mineral broths, raw eggs). Get up 1 hour before sun rise and go to bed 2-3 hours after sun down. Keep a fire burning and take two long hot baths per day. If not recovered by the morning of the 5th day that individual has greatly impared hormonal balance and will require more self love, commitment, and play in their life. The more they have going on the less they can do and the longer it will take.

The greatest obstacle is addiction to pain, suffering, old identies and exhaustion and the pushing of oneself to save the world.

With Great Love and Gratitude,

Dan Hegerich
    Do The C.U.R.E.

7. Colleen says:

Hi kev,
    I was wondering if Dr. Williams might address the adrenal burnout that accompanies Fibromyalgia, and whether or not it is reversable, and to what extent. Thanks for another great episode about this topic. Hugs, Colleen

8. John DeMoss says:

Thanks Kev 😉 Great vid because I noticed the feel from when you were at the truck stop then switched to the clip of the very serene Dr.Williams and his environment.That right there gave me a clue!

9. Lorien says:

getting enough sleep is the area I am worst at. I eat well, I get plenty of exercise but I never get enough sleep.

10. Sue says:

Colleen, have you tried gluten-free diet for your fibromyalgia?

11. Anne says:

I slept so well last night. About 7h45 total and probably could have used more but had to get up. My sleep is really important to me at the moment both for exercise recovery and for my current low iron state which causes me fatigue. I am taking iron by the way. I was intrigued at the Mediterranean Anaemia that AnnMarie was referring to. How does this present?

I’m interested because my ferritin stores are extremely low right now and I am taking an iron supplement to increase them but I know that many people advise against taking iron supplements. I just want to make sure that I’m not causing more damage. I used to take Floradix but am trying another liquid supplement which comes in a capsule which gets delivered to the intestine for absorption I believe.

Thanks again for the show

12. Sue says:

Good book called Lights Out: Sleep, Sugar and Survival:

13. Michelle says:

Very informative. Thank you. I’d have to say that it’s been over 3 yrs. since my last really good sleep. My daughter is nearly three, and she is still nursing and sleeping with me…lucky her, but not so great for Mommy. I do intend to wean her completely in the next few months. Getting her to sleep in her own bed after that will be an entirely new challenge. I wouldn’t trade it for her excellent health (never vaccinated either), but I seriously need to get better rest and sleep, and cannot expect excellent adrenal function soley from a high-raw vegetarian diet, whole food supplements, superfoods, and herbs,(holy basil) etc. I understand that while these are great, they certainly are no replacement for consistant,deep, and uninterrupted sleep…thanks for the reminder, I needed it.

Blessings,
    Michelle

14. Jane says:

Got a power nap for 1 hr yesterday afternoon. Woke up feel very fresh. It was like getting a shower from inside out.

15. casey says:

i sleep lightly but with crazy vivid lucid dreaming, every night.

welcome to stop in shreveport and say hi!

16. caterina says:

Colleen, more than gluten free I suggest wheat/corn free. Unless one is celiac, there is no need to eliminate all gluten, it is always good though to lower intake of carbs and only eat whole grains.
    My daughter was diagnosed with Multiple Sclerosis at age 18. She was treated only naturally, wheat was eliminated from her diet for ever, metal fillings carefully removed with also chelation with omeopatic remedies. She is in perfect health now at age 32, no traces of new scars or simpthoms and she had a beautiful healthy baby now age 3. Cut the whet in all forms please and check the blood type diet. love

17. Charlotte says:

not in a while! I had to study for a genetics tests and a physics test sunday night so I got like 3 hours of sleep and then i’ve had about 7 hr each night since. Not to mention this past wknd we were in Texas for a tennis match so needless to say i didn’t get that much sleep then either.

I have a question, do you guys know a good recipe for water kefir? would you consider making it on the show? I’ve been looking for recipes online and i just don’t know what’s best..

18. Dee says:

Just last night.

19. Mary says:

Last time I slept well was 3 weeks ago when on an 8 day green juice fast, I noticed toward the end, that I was sleeping reeeeaaalllllly soundly and very well, awakening happy and vibrant. While juicing I almost always remain stress-free, very little phones, computer work, and other stressors. I think it’s so important to do this about every 3 months. Thanks!! 🙂

20. Niraja Golightly says:

To Dan H. #6? Thank you for mentioning the practices of conscious breathing. I experienced great healing and stress releases every time I spent time sleeping outdoors, bathing in hot/cold springs, sitting by a fire, doing breathwork and other spiritual practices for at least a week to 3 weeks at a time. Sometimes while I was at Campbell Hotsprings these practices so changed me that all I needed was 3-4 hours of sleep. I literally just went into a deep sleep and woke up easily the next morning. I so miss being able to do this regularly! Leonard Orr has it right and I’m so happy that he has shared these practices generously with anyone who will listen.

21. I have always been a night person–even since infancy (as a baby I slept during the day and screamed all night.)My natural tendency is to go to bed before sunrise and wake up late in the morning. I sleep fine in daylight as long as the sun is not in my face. Currently I am blessed to have an evening job, so this works out fine. Also, being nocturnal during the summer in Texas is great–you get to crawl under a rock and get out of the sun.

I am wondering if anyone else out there is like this, and is there an explanation for it?

Dr. Williams has a very relaxing voice. Maybe he should try making relaxation videos!

22. Yakitah says:

Hi,

My major problem, is quality sleep. I find I’m
    restless most nights and can sit up till after
    3or4a.m. without even getting a nod in. Can’t
    understand, even if I’m busying myself during the day, and I am retired. I go to sleep with
    an awareness of where I am during that time.

23. JASON says:

(1 day ago from today) I’ve went on a juice fast & blended up some cooked salmon in my drink – could it be the Omega 3-6/hormonal/brain to circadium rythym – balance corrective cycle?

24. sesameB says:

question of the day: When was the last time you got a good night’s sleep?

Kevin, I have lived in my adopted home state Arkansas since 1990. I live in a cabin located in a meadow and I drink and bathe in the natural springs in the mountains. My area is dark and quiet. I love Arkansas, the Ouachita Mountains (pronounced “wa-she-tah”) that extend from Eastern Oklahoma to Central Arkansas are one of the most important sources of rock crystals. They have produced splendid crystals in large quantities for more than 150 years, rivaled only by Brazil and Madagascar. The old mayberry inn location in crystal springs, Arkansas has more than 150 natural springs in that area.
    For your information, the hot springs flow from the western slope of Hot Springs Mountain, part of the Ouachita Mountain range. In the park, the hot springs have not been preserved in their unaltered state as natural surface phenomena. They have instead been managed to conserve the production of uncontaminated hot water for public use. The mountains within the park are also managed within this conservation philosophy in order to preserve the hydrological system that feeds the springs.
    People have used the hot spring water in therapeutic baths for more than two hundred years to treat rheumatism and other ailments. While it was a reservation, the area developed into a well-known resort nicknamed The American Spa that attracted not only the wealthy but indigent health seekers from around the world as well.

Dew, barefootin & drinking wild water, living simple with the fresh lifestyle including foraging for wild foods
    Rural south central sunny Arkansas

25. sesameB says:

Additionally, Kevin, I love looking at the wide open spaces here in my area. Visual pollution here in America is rampant. I dislike looking at cars, trucks, huge sport complexes, high rise structures, highways, Malls, and ugly man-made structures here in America.
    Mountains cover half of Arkansas. Two unique regions—the rugged plateaus of the Ozarks in the north, and the rolling peaks and valleys of the Ouachitas in the south—tell stories of wildlife, forests, and rivers. Eons of time have shaped these uplifted, rugged forms into beautiful scenery, where landscapes include peaceful valleys, dramatic scenic overlooks, clear mountain streams, and backcountry roads. I enjoy looking and being in this type of landscape as I rise each day—peaceful valleys, lakes and clear mountain sterams, barefootin’!
    Take to heart the timeless words of naturalist John Muir. If you’re looking for a mountaintop where you can see for miles, where you can get a natural high, where nature’s peace may flow into you, then explore and experience the mountain state parks of Arkansas.
    Dew, barefootin

26. sesameB says:

Kevin, I love this region of Arkansas, which is known as the “Ouachita” part of Arkansas or “Ouachita National Forest”.
    In his book “ Mutal Aid” (1902), bearded Kropotkin presented abundant evidence that most species living in the wild survive not by constant competition (as Darwin had suggested), but through cooperation, play, and mutual aid. Human beings, therefore, in their ‘natural’ condition, should also be expected to be more cooperative than competitive.
    One Hundred or So:
    North Dakota Centenarians at the End of the 20th Century
    by Everett C. Albers, North Dakota Humanities Council, Rebecca J. Weisgerber

Pg. 23– The author interviewed and wrote about Katie Binsfeld is the following: At age 100, Katie loved to walk barefoot and only wore shoes in the months with “r’s” when she was growing up in rural St. Nicholas, Minnesota.
    Dew, Barefootin’

27. damianna says:

I have a good peaceful night sleep every night. No complaints. I wake up well rested.