Annmarie’s Personal Blood Test Analysis : Renegade Health Exclusive Article

Tuesday Feb 22 | BY |

sushi rolls vegan
Annmarie is going to be eating more of these sushi rolls!

As you know, both Annmarie and I recently had Dr. Williams read our blood tests…

We felt it would be good to share our consultations with you for a number of reasons.

First, because we want you to get your blood tested so you can monitor your diet and healthy lifestyle in a preventative way.

Second, because we’re not perfect, so we wanted to ease your mind a little, so when you get results, you can address them in a way that is proactive and confident and know you’re not alone – we’re all working to improve (no matter who we are!)

Thirdly, our diet in the past brought us to where we are now, which is a little weird and disappointing. Our diet over the last 4-5 years has given us some deficiencies that we need to correct. If there’s anything you can learn from this, it’s the fact that you can’t “think” that your diet is working. It may not be at all.

So, Annmarie wanted to share some thoughts with you about her own blood test like I shared some with mine yesterday (see my results here.)

You can watch the entire video of Annmarie’s consultation here.

Here is Annmarie’s analysis, in her words:

1. Moving toward hypothyroid, yikes!

My ranges are within the normal range that you’d find on the lab report, but that doesn’t mean everything is perfect.

At 4.1, my TSH (thyroid stimulating hormone) is too high. This means my pituitary gland is sending messages, but my thyroid isn’t gathering all the information.

This was a little shocking to me, because I thought I was addressing my thyroid with seaweeds and other mineral rich foods.

Kev and I chatted about this and it’s really been a wake up call to us since we like to think you can heal from just foods most of the time.

I don’t want to take any medication for this, nor do I want to take dessicated thyroid either. When Dr. Williams was explaining all the options, I decided I would work on this naturally first.

I can see why some people might take medication right away, because when the doctor is telling you things aren’t perfect, you want to do whatever you can and they suggest to get it right.

I’m going to try a more concentrated herbal approach and get re-tested in 3-4 months to see what the results are. I’ve also started doing the thyroid exercises Dr. Williams recommended to see if I can tap that little guy into working better.

I’m, also, reluctantly going to lay off the raw cruciferous veggies like kale, broccoli, bok choy, collards, chard and all the others since my thyroid function is low.

Lesson Learned: For all women in their 30’s and above, test your TSH to determine if you have thyroid issues and address them while you’re young!

2. Cholesterol is on its way up.

When we were tested in April 2010, my cholesterol was 104. Like Kevin, I thought this was good.

It’s not.

Now my levels are up to 124 and my HDL to LDL ratios are really good.

This is good news that everything is stabilizing and moving up. I’d like it to be in the 140 range or so by next time, so we’ll see what happens.

I’ll be eating a little more coconut oil to see if that helps.

Lesson Learned: It’s interesting that Kev and I both have similar issues eating the same diet. Apparently, we have similar metabolisms.

3. B12 is great.

I did take a B complex vitamin that had B12 the day before, but my B12 has been on its way up since we first tested a few years ago.

It will be interesting to see what it is the next time…

Lesson Learned: Don’t take a B12 supplement the day before a test if you want a true result!

4. I still have a Mono infection?

No, I don’t still have Mono, but some of my immune markers were a little off, meaning there is likely a little latent virus activity like Epstein-Barr.

If you’ve ever had mononucleosis, you may still have this infection and it can cause you to be a little tired or foggy from time to time.

I don’t feel foggy or tired at all, but I guess some of the other lifestyle things I do like exercise and yoga.

To see if I can lower the low grade infection, Kev has some ideas which he’ll talk about in a later article.

Lesson Learned: If you’ve had mononucleosis, be sure to give your immune system a little love.

5. Like Kev, I’m a little low in Vitamin D, but mine is going up.

Kev had a drop in his last test, but mine went up!

I’ve been taking a supplement semi-regularly, but really have no idea why my levels went up while Kev’s went down.

It’s not the sun, because neither of us have been in the sun regularly since September.

Maybe I have better conversion… who knows!

The supplement is definitely a factor though.

I’ll be continually taking 4000 IU or so a day to bring it up.

Lesson Learned: Take Vitamin D.

6. Mediterranean anemia, but my iron is good.

I’ve always had minor thalassemia (or Mediterranean anemia.) This has been passed down genetically through my family.

It’s not much to worry about as long as my iron levels remain OK. Dr. Williams tested my iron the numbers are great.

When I was younger, one doctor misdiagnosed this type of anemia and told me I needed to take iron pills. These were awful and were not appropriate for Mediterranean anemia, since I may accumulate iron.

Anyway, Dr. Williams says a high plant-based diet is great for anyone who has this type of issue, so if you do, plants are good! (They’re good if you don’t have it as well!)

Lesson Learned: Get a second opinion! LOL!

7. What you think isn’t always the case.

Like I said about my thyroid, it was disappointing to see that my thyroid did not improve from the last visit, even though I was eating more seaweeds. Maybe I need to eat more, or maybe I just need another approach.

Natural health can be so interesting and powerful, but it can also be deceiving as well. Seeing my own results makes me wonder how many people get tested, do a protocol and then don’t get tested again. In a case like this, you’ll never really know if something worked or not.

Lesson Learned: Don’t believe everything you read or hear. Use blood testing and other markers to determine how your body is doing – regardless of what anyone else says!

Finally, it’s interesting to wonder what my levels would be like if I stayed on the path I was before I found healthy eating. I have a feeling that they may even be worse. Like I said before, some of the poor levels here are probably due to our diet being too extreme for a while, but the numbers are, for the most part, going up to where they should be.

That’s it for us today, let us know what you think on the blog here!

Much Love,
Annmarie

1. Great info guys…the results for the both of you are generally pretty good as you know. I can definitly understand that you may have expectations in the results given your focus on health etc. We all have deficencies I am sure…beyond that the things you have been working to improve I am willing to bet you will see some improvement assuming the changes you are making (settling in Denver as a base) will have something of a grounding affect. You two have been road warriors for sometime now and that does have an affect of attriction particularly where the immune system is concerned. The fact that you are inclined to change your lifestyle in some ways suggests that you intuitivly know this already. 🙂 You have not only been living in the RV but have had an aggressive schedule of travel as well.

Its not hard to visulize a lot of people living a “standard American diet” actually being sick a fair amount of the time had they attempted to do what you two have done the past couple of years.

2. Thanks for sharing your experience!

3. Taya says:

Are you bathing in fluoridated water? Many people overlook fluoride as being a problem when it comes to thyroid function. Even though hyperthyroidism is one of the main side affects of fluoride poisoning.

4. Taya says:

Oh yeah, Thank you for sharing your results. Take care

5. chrissy says:

great stuff. thanks. after reading both your posts, tho, i wonder how much of an impact timing plays. our bodies follow cycles, just like all other natural forces. it would be ideal to see repeated tests over long periods of time to really understand the cyclical nature of our selves.

6. bitt says:

Hi annemarie, I have a lot of similar issues to you. As do a lot of women! It is not just raw vegan folks. I think some of the thryoid stuff is due to chemicals in the environment which we can’t always help. I too am doing more cooked broccoli and kale, etc and limiting raw.

FYI, cholesterol will increase as a result of hypothyroid stuff.

I have had reactivated mono too. It can come from stress or other medical issues in the body.

Thank so much for sharing!

7. silvia says:

Hi guys,
    Great shows, thanks so much for sharing with us and I hope you solve your health issues soon!

I wanted to ask you if you could post something like a list…with the exact name of blood tests you had, because in my country things like hormones, vit B12, vit D and many more are not included in the regular blood work and I would like to know exactly what tests to ask for next time I will have them done.

8. Kate Larson says:

Can you imagine what the blood test of a meat eater/sedentary person looks like! I shudder.

9. rose singarella says:

You said,

How will this help the thyroid, why are these veggies not good?

10. Brian says:

I know many people throughout the US, especially vegans, have a tough time getting iodine, and that as the person above noted, fluoride and bromides compete with the iodides.

Most of my holistic doctor friends recommend iodine supplementation for this reason to non-pescetarian vegetarians and vegans and with good results.

i’m curious to know what your thoughts are on that.

also, I have friends/colleagues who’d also like to know exactly what blood test you did, how much it costs, and how to do it.

Best of luck and thanks for sharing.

Brian

11. Really really wish that you would seek testing from a fully accredited Medical Doctor or Physician just to get the FULL GAMUT of testing and opinions.

As i commented in your other post, Dr. Williams is a doctor or Oriental medicine which means he is not an M.D. or physician, but rather a healing practitioner.

Not that he’s not wonderful, he very well may be perfect. I just strongly feel that there’s more to this story that needs verification with more conventional and comprehensive testing. Something spoke strongly to me. That’s all. : )

I say this all in love wanting you both to have perfect, amazing, wondrous health. Much love, thanks for listening.

12. Tammy says:

Thank you for sharing. What would be the best way to cook the kale and other cruciferous vegies? Steam? I guess for you it would be great to saute in coconut oil to raise the LDL. But what if I want a no fat option?

13. wendy green says:

thanks for sharing annmarie…!! will get my blood tested again… very cheap here about $25!

14. Gen says:

Thanks for sharing your info as we can all learn from it. I do think your thyroid will improve when you stop eating the raw cruciferous veggies. Steam them lightly instead and they are incredibly yummy (and easier to eat!).

Stay well! You’re an inspiration.

15. Blythe says:

I have recently touched into the great health debate
    And your daily articles On your website that I greatly enjoy. One thing that i still am not clear onto though is exactly what ( both of your )diets are or what you consider yourself

I would love to hear from you.

Blythe

16. Nomi says:

Annmarie YOUR thyroid is a little gal not a little guy! You don’t want to hurt her feelings.

17. Bev D says:

Hey Ann Marie

Just a thought for the EBV it lays dormant in the spine if you are at all in to essential oils raindrop is a very effective immune booster and it addresses viral, bacterial, and other unwelcome guests that reside in the spine and nutralizes them…. and it is just awesome …
    It is easy to google if you would like to do it 🙂
    Bev

18. Theresa says:

Thank you Annmarie for sharing your test results with us as well. I appreciate you and Kevin being so open and willing to share with us so we can benefit as well.

I’d love to hear more about your day to day diet as you make some of these shifts.

Also, I was curious about what Dr Williams daily diet is like and if he considers himself in optimal health?

19. Tana Anderson says:

Did you have your levels of Aluminum checked in your blood? We had some snow from Chemult, OR tested and found 0.607 mg/L which is 3-12 higher than the Secondary Max. Contaminant Level and 60 times higher than the EPA MRL (Minimum Recording Level) I was also found in Mt.Shasta snow and in Hawaii. If it is in the stratoshpere there are no boundaries. Does anyone have any idea of what to do about this????? Are you thinking what I’m thinking? Alzheimer’s and Autism – not only in us as adults but think of the little babies and children that are going to affected.
    What can we do??

20. Char says:

Hey Kev and Annmarie,
    I have been following since I owned The Back Shack in CT long ago. I see you’ve done blood testing and the results are really interesting. I wish I could eat as well and as raw as you do. I do a pretty good job these days. Just wondering if either of you have you ever had gene SNP testing to see what type of variations you might have in genes? Don’t you think this would effect how your bodies process things differently?

I, like you believe in the power of having to supplement because even if you’re eating perfectly you can still need nutrients. Also, wondering why just B12? I thought taking all the B’s together was more productive for the body? Anyway some thoughts to consider. If you’re looking for that genetic SNP test, contact me and I can lead you to the source.

21. Rebecca Cody says:

I want both of you to know how much I appreciate your openness in sharing your health information and thoughts on how to resolve issues you’re experiencing. And I especially appreciate your open-mindedness in recognizing and sharing that your previous diet wasn’t the perfect program for you. I rarely see that kind of candor in others who write about health and nutrition. I wish you well in following your new regime and I look forward to seeing the results after a few months or so.

There is an important blood test many doctors don’t run routinely, but one doctor who does has found a lot more people affected than most generally surmise. I’m trying to remember the name of the test, and I’m away from home so I can’t look it up. What it tests for is to see if your liver properly methylates folate. We eat all these lovely leafies, but if you don’t methylate folate you don’t get all the benefit, and your liver doesn’t do well with phase 2 detoxification. I found that I have this condition, and it probably contributed to last year’s cancer diagnosis. It may also explain why I never have a detox reaction when I go on a juice fast or other cleansing program. So I now take a methylated form of both folate (in a high dose) and B12. This is a genetic test, as the problem is hereditary. Apparently the condition isn’t as rare as some statistics seem to indicate.

Last summer I was put on an all raw diet for cancer, along with an alternative treatment. I felt great on the diet and enjoyed it most of the time, but over a few months my protein levels fell below the normal range, so I have added eggs and occasionally other animal protein. It will be interesting to see if this helps sufficiently.

My nails seem to be a great indicator of my protein status. On the raw diet, after a few weeks, they grew to the strongest they have ever been, but a few weeks later, when my protein levels fell, they became the weakest they have ever been. I’m still tweaking my diet to try and bring back those strong, strong nails of last summer.

22. Thank you Annmarie for sharing. I would like to know if you eat mostly nori as a seaweed? Nori in the sheets is almost devoid of minerals, as it is highly processed (even raw) and the minerals are washed out. If you eat other raw seaweeds (the closer to your location on the planet the better) you should be able to boost your thyroid. I make up a kombu capsule that I take 4 of every day. I had hypothyroidism and my tests are normal now. I also eat seaweed whenever I can. I do admit to eating a little sushi nori, but the majority of my seaweed is raw and wild, not processed. You can check it out at http://www.seaweedmermaid.com

Thanks again!
    Terry

23. flora says:

We have a cat who was diagnosed hyperthyroid at age 11. The options the vet gave were yuch, yuchier, and yuchiest. He said we had six months to decide. Well, we had been doing lip service to putting her on a raw diet for years. Within a week, she was raw. I could tell within a month that she was better. Six months later, she was tested again. No sign of hyperthyroid at all. Now, being a cat, she eats raw meat. (She is now fifteen and going strong.) And she was hyper not hypo thyroid. I am only mentioning a thyroid healing as food for thought.
    For us, her healing was a powerful awakening. We had been playing with raw before but since then have been high raw (but not vegan at all meals.)
    Best of luck in getting your thyroid happy and healthy!

24. jasmine says:

Hi, I have the same results as you. I have gone off seaweeds and cruciferous vegetables. I thought I was doing everything right with the green juicing, seaweeds, and tons of vegetables. After years of raw and high raw I have you two to thank for encouraging people to get blood tests which is how I found out I was low in D, B12. iron, while my TSH and heart indicators were creeping higher. Truthfully, I wasn’t really doing that well and I knew something wasn’t right both in energy levels and mood but I couldn’t imagine eating better than I did. Further hormone testing revealed problems with cortisol, low progesterone, and low DHEA (like an 80 year old – I am 47 and thought it was perhaps pre-menopause.) Anyone with a TSH over 2 should request (insistently) a TPO test. My antibodies to my thyroid were 1,610 when they should be under 30. My thyroid was under attack. An ultrasound showed swiss cheese like holes and nodules in my thyroid. Since doing some of the natural protocal in Dr. Kharrazian’s book, my latest ultrasound shows a better thyroid consistency and no nodules. I did try kelp and some Lugol’s iodine on my own because in some cases iodine is useful but it was a mistake. I had a huge reaction. Apparently if the thyroid problem is autoimmune, foods with a lot of iodine are contraindicated. Gluten is a definite no-no and I am off all iodine except for small natural amounts (no seaweeds, nori, cruciferous veg) all seems to have made a difference. I know you won’t like this part but when I included the tiniest bit of animal products (which is still very hard for me to do psychologically) I improved. I still don’t know if blood tests are the numbers to shoot for because they are most certainly based on a majority of meat and processed food eaters overall however, I wasn’t feeling well and as my blood tests improve, I seem to be as well. I am not saying this is the answer to everything as we are complex individuals and so much more is inolved. I just hope to spare someone, anyone the trouble I caused myself by my wild experiments with raw food.

25. Kim says:

I listened to some of the great health debate and it was interesting, but I am beginning to feel at this point in my journey that what you eat isn’t nearly as important as how you feel about what you eat. For example, if you are eating seaweed to address a health issue, what you are actually focused on is the health issue. We get what we focus on.
    I have some proof to back this up. In 2003-2004 I went 100% raw for a full 12 months. I had always been a little anemic, but on the raw diet my levels dropped until my doctor joked that they would soon be “undetectable”. I believe I still have copies of the tests to prove this. I did not feel anemic in any way, and I only needed to sleep 4 hours a day, but the test results bothered me. So I went to see an Energy Therapist. She was someone who could see energy and she removed what she called “dark energy” from my intestines. Two months later, at the next test, my iron was normal. Medically, this quick reversal is considered miraculous or impossible. I didn’t change anything else AND I’ve never had anemia since, despite giving birth to twins (5lbs 5 oz, and 6lbs 12 oz). I have also been doing EFT (Emotional Freedom Techniques, a meridian tapping technique) regularly for the past five years, and despite gaining weight (still trying to figure out what is causing my sudden and chronic compulsive eating) and eating a dismal diet, my blood tests are of no concern to my doctor, that’s better than on raw! The only explanation I can think of is that what we eat isn’t the only variable. Part of me thinks we could be alchemists if we had the right mind set. Need more calcium? Don’t take some, THINK some. It’s food for thought, anyway.

26. Cats are different than humans, they do not do well on cooked foods, they need certain vitamins that are destroyed in cooking. We can have some amount of cooked foods without developing serious diseases.

27. Marisa says:

Hey Annmarie, I’m unfortunatly more than a little hypothyroid. It’s good you found that out early so you can work on it. I just wanted to tell you that coconut oil is great for thyroid health–one or two tablespoons per day is what people usually take to help their thyroid. Take care and I hope it works out. ~Marisa

28. Diana says:

Wow, great info for a newby like me. Did the Doc say a 52 year old woman?!! I was thinking early thirties! You look great girl!!!

29. bobdinker says:

You should ask Dr. Williams about Armour thyroid. Dr. Hyman talks about a number of other test besides the TSH as well in this video. http://www.youtube.com/user/ultrawellness#p/u/68/47ChsJuAnSo

30. Mila Ilina says:

I’m so getting re-tested to make sure things are moving in the right direction! This was just the push I needed. Thank you both again 😉

Mila

31. Misa says:

Doesn’t Donna Gates say cruciferous veggies are great when fermented?

32. I don’t think there is a perfect diet. You are doing great avoiding chemicals and pesticides and processed foods. Don’t be hard on yourselves though. There is more against us than there is for us in this system.
    Some supplements are necessary for our unnatural environment. Even the best of foods is often depleted.
    Also remember to rotate foods and eat a variety of different foods. That is the hardest thing for me. I take 4000 IU of D3 daily too as well as krill and magnesium. I also take a little plant/herbal iron since I eat very little meat in a week. When I first switched to no/low meat, I got a little anemic. It’s been fine since I take the iron. I have B12 now and then but usually forget it. I haven’t had it in weeks. I’d like to get tested now to see if I need it at all. I’ve never taken it regularly.
    I like my green smoothies each morning and sometimes add a few superfoods like bee pollen and maca. But I know my diet is always in need of tweaking and has been in a constant state of morphing for years. We can’t get complacent in watching for what our bodies need. We are such complicated beings 😉

33. Marina says:

Thank you Ann Marie for sharing all of this. I just saw my Natiropath today and am planning on taking several tests myself this week . It will be interesting to see the results. Thank you so MUCH.
    Happy Running, Marina

34. Joyce Braun says:

I had thyroid issues when I had low b12, apparently it can be related. Thanks for sharing, and I hope you get it all worked out!

35. Susan says:

I posted some links to Dr Mercola articles that helped me with thyroid issues on your consultation page. sometimes it is not what you need to add but rather what you need to avoid. I now buy natural toothpaste without flouride as it interferes with thyroid hormones.

36. Mary Artemis says:

I’m missing the connection between raw cruciferous vegetables and lo or high thyroid function.. . . .

37. Basia says:

Thank you for sharing. It is shockingly difficult to find useful information on measuring good health in mainstream health circles. My health practitioner will usually agree to run pretty extensive blood tests, but then I don’t think she is as knowledgeable as she could be in interpreting them–for instance, not flagging my low cholesterol (under 140 for a few years now, as well as low HDL). Thankfully, I have your blood test guide, and will use it to review my next batch of tests this summer. Perhaps as a part 2 to that guide, could you do a follow up guide with some recommendations if someone tests too high or low on any of the test results?! Thanks again for the great info!

38. Ella says:

Thanks for sharing your results! I’m definitely inspired to have my blood checked- (as a long time vegan with raw leanings!). I’ve read kundalini yoga and herbs can help thyroid conditions- perhaps it’s worth a try- especially since you already practice yoga. Much luck and health! Here’s a link to the kundalini and hypothyroid testimonial:

39. anatol says:

Dr Fuhrman disputes connection between thyroid and cruciferous veggies.

extract from Dr Fuhrman MD :

“The Thyroid Connection ~ Isothiocyanates were in the past considered goitergens (anti-nutrients) that inhibit the uptake of iodine by the thyroid gland. However, this is no longer thought to be significant in humans. … Lastly, while everyone eventually jumps on the “cruciferous vegetables are good for you” bandwagon, let’s not forget H = N/C (Health = Nutrient intake divided by Calorie intake). In other words, besides all of their unique features, green cruciferous vegetables still contain more vitamins and minerals per calorie than any other foods.”

40. Tamlyn says:

I too gained a lot from the Great Health Debate and am very grateful to you both for putting it on. I am hypothyroid and take Armour Thyroid, which is basically dessicated pig thyroid (but certainly better than the synthetic rx, Synthroid or similar). As disgusting as that is to me (I am 99% vegan, 75% raw), it did help me feel much better back when I started on it years ago. Now however, I feel, mostly from an energetic perspective, that it is doing more harm than good. I really want to get off it. Do you guys have any suggestions (Kev, Ann Marie or any of the other wonderfully educated commenters here)about the protocol for that or any health educators/books that talk about it? I know that I could go to the Tree of Life, and Gabriel could help me do it, but I don’t currently have a spare $3000…so, any help would be appreciated!
    Thanks and much love and light,
    Tamlyn

41. Sue says:

Rose, those raw vegies eaten in excess inhibit the thyroid, so does soy products.

Char, the reason to take B12 only is that a vegan/vegetarian diet with lots of vegies is abundant in B6 and B9.

42. marc says:

Though I believe the raw/vegan lifestyle is beneficial short term for its cleansing effect, I believe it causes you to become catabolic long term. My bench marker was my strength levels. After a year on raw I def. saw both my energy and strength levels wane (I too am a personal trainer).

So for me, @ this stage it’s not about being raw or vegan.. it’s about what will take me to the next level of longevity, and what tools will I need to incorporate, or in my case, reincorporate back in.

Too many people in the health communities throw the baby out with the bath water. I think our ancestors/ancient cultures have figured out what we need to surthrive as a species. To rule out animal products, for me, means I’m limiting my options…

Thanks for sharing and keeping it real!!

43. HeatherM says:

my doctor has said my cholesterol is too high – and sees nothing wrong with a TSH reading in the upper part of normal 🙁

It is my understanding that VLDL is the one to worry about – and that seems to be related to triglycerides.

Last D3 level measured was 40

44. Janet says:

Thanks for being brave enough to show us all your results. I think it helps all of us, particular the women here.

AnnMarie, you might want to consider ditching the flax for 30 days as a test and seeing if that helps you with the thyroid hormone issue as flax not only affects your estrogen levels negatively but also the thyroid. Dr. William Wong says that “Isoflavones decrease thyroid hormone production.” here http://www.life-enthusiast.com/index/Articles/Wong/Soy:_The_Poison_Seed In this particular article he is talking about soy but he talks about flax all the time in his podcasts as being 3 times worse that soy on multiple levels. Do well!

45. HeatherM says:

A quick question – does culturing cabbage and kale make them more thyroid friendly?

46. Javy says:

I don’t know you guys, but it seems to me that you are like a piece of paper in the street without knowing where to go, from here to there.

47. Javy says:

Vit D3 from sun is not just jump into the sun and that’s it UV-B needs to be in a wavelength of 290 to 315 nm, the latitude, time of the year etc etc are important factor in the vit d production. B12 is made in the intestine by pleomorphic bacteria that only drive at certain pH. Mineral deficiency, you need more unprocessed salt, clay etc etc. (Salt your way to health book). Other think that you can look up is for a misalignment in your C1 and C2 vertebra for this look for a NUCCA chiropractor.

48. barbara says:

to add to the hypothyroid comments:

cruciferous veggies for me make me feel worse if raw. once and a while slightly steamed I’m ok. natropath suggested that.

i also am vegan so no armour thyroid for me. i take l-tyrosine, ashawangda, zinc and bladderwrack (eclectic institute freeze dried). this all definitely helps.

i’ve just added coconut kefir to tempeh and sauerkraut for my fermented foods which I love. Need to start my coconut oil again too.

my energy is always low though, better in the summer when more fresh local organic produce and I’m outdoors more, in CT, so yeah not alot of ops for sunshine this winter except to shovel out, lol.

i take pure brand (vegan) vitamin drops they’re very helpful. i know if i forget to take for a day or so, i do not feel as well.

it takes time for the other hormones to get back in balance too, cause once one is out of balance, especially the thyroid, the others get out of balance, it’s a delicate dance.

i was happy to learn of Dr. Williams tapping easy exercise to add it to the yoga one i know.

wishing you well with whatever you choose to help yourself heal this.

49. Kelly says:

I hope you follow up with more information about the Epstein Barr virus. I’ve had mono a few times in my life and I cannot seem to eradicate the effects of EBV on my immune system.

Thanks!

50. HeatherM says:

Deborah Drake, ND

Your are so right – there is no one perfect diet – or Hawaians and Eskimos could both thrive on the same foods.

What fits best is a combination of the foods your genetic ancestors used and whatever is available locally and in season.
    If your heredity is from two or more different locations, this adds to the complexity…..

And in this age of frequent migration most people are. Italian foods are very different from Celtic foods, for example. The traditional diet of a Cheyanne Indian would be very different to that of a Punjab Indian.

And the foods produced locally may be quite different again.

So, a little trial and error finding which of those foods best agree with you. Flixibility recommended!

51. lljmustang says:

Please post your article on mononucleosis!! My test results indicated the same markers active, and I never even knew I’d ever had mono!! The doctor gave me an “experimental” drug with horrible side affects, so I stopped taking them. I would very much like to hear your thoughts on a natural approach.

52. jasmine says:

Annmarie, I think you are so awesome and brave. Thank you for sharing and for this forum to comment. I learn so much from everyone. I forgot to say in my earlier post that I improved my TSH number by making lists of all goitrogenic, thiocynate, iodine, and estrogen related food items and wrote down everything I ate and how I felt. I compared these to my blood test every 3 weeks to find the pattern. I realized I felt better without the seaweed (and all my superfood smoothie additives like marine phytoplankton, cell food, ect…), without the fresh flaxseed I would grind up just before adding it to my smoothie, and most of those items on those lists WHICH of course were my most favorite things to eat on a regular basis. I can still hardly believe it. I think it is important for everyone to be sure to rule out Hashimoto’s thyroiditis because endocrinologists speculate that 80% of hypothyroid people actually have undiagnosed Hashimoto’s. Hashimoto’s can bring fluctuating symptoms like hyper and hypo thyroid symptoms which really confuse most doctors and make the patient feel crazy. ;( I think it is really important for all people to request copies of all their bloodwork and do not take the doctors word that you are in the normal range, especially for thyroid if you are not feeling well. I was told everything was in range for years but suffered with symptoms because current TSH ranges are too broad.

53. Angie says:

Thank You for sharing, it is always nice to know that you are not alone. I was just wandering what herbs you where going to start taking? Did I here they are in shot form?

54. Sue says:

Jasmine, you’re so right that current “normal” TSH ranges are too broad. Also, some people feel better when they are at the lower end of normal and still experience symptoms at the higher end of normal. In this case, your doctor will say your TSH is fine even though you feel lousy.

55. Veronika says:

Hi Kevin and Anne Marie, I found this video from your favorite 811’er Durianrider. 😉

Apparently Harley was clinically diagnosed with hypothyroid and cured himself.

Haven’t really done the low fat raw vegan thing myself, but my boyfriend is doing it (I’ll let him be the guinea pig) and so far he’s getting great results. He had a blood test taken 5 months ago, so we’ll see what it looks like after his diet change when he gets another test done this summer. He went from cooked omnivore, to high fat + greens (very little fruit) raw vegan, to now low fat raw vegan (moderate to high fruit, but also sprouts and lots of greens).

For a couple weeks we experimented by eating cooked veggies from our CSA box (steamed or simmered in soup only). We found that if we ate too much cooked food everyday, we started having a lot of mucus build up, allergy symptoms, sluggishness, etc. It’s also probably because cooked food requires salt, oil, and other stuff to give it flavor.

What I’ve learned is that your body wants balance. Doing 100% raw for several months and then cooked for a few weeks throws my body out of whack. But I suppose if you ate a little cooked food every day, your body adjusts to that.

I really do feel my best when eating all raw, but if I get potatoes in my CSA box, then I’d rather spread them out over a week or two so I don’t eat a huge cooked starchy serving in one day.

56. Kuru says:

Annmarie, why did you single out women to get their thyroid checked in their 30’s? Why not men too? Thanks for sharing.

57. Veronika says:

I forgot to mention that my mom has had hypothyroid for more than 5 years now. She ate meat, milk, butter her whole life and rarely ate raw vegetables let alone raw cruciferous veggies and she still got hypothyroid. She also didn’t exercise much. The majority of women out there are not raw vegans, so there are other things at play that could be causing the thyroid problem, and it could be different for each woman.

All I know is, my mom didn’t get hypothyroid from drinking too many green smoothies or green juice, that’s for sure. Annemarie, hopefully that gives you some light at the end of the tunnel. Though I understand your decision to lighten up on the raw cruciferous veggies.

58. oreganol says:

Thanks for sharing. I am finding it fascinating what blood tests can uncover. I bet nearly the entire population would be deficient in some things. Maybe a sign of a not so good diet for many people but I also think this is a sign that our food is more depleted of nutrients than it used to be in the past. Maybe the human body will adapt over a few generations.

59. Sharon Samtur says:

Thanks so much for sharing this!!

A few thoughts: low adrenal energy sometimes affects the thyroid function…lack of sunlight (I think) can affect the TSH and pituitary – consequently the thyroid as well..
    and finally..try the supplement: Thyroid Strength from MegaFood – good formulation and a food based supplement. Lastly – avoid excessive garlic. Also I agree with Michael Shield’s comments.

60. Thanks to Annmarie and Kevin for sharing your blood test results, I think it will definitely motivate people to have their own tests done.
    I know I did, but I have yet to find a dr here in Bulgaria who doesn’t brush me off as ‘fine’ since ‘everything important’ is in the lab’s normal range. In reality my D was low, 25 ng/ml.
    My Lutenizing Hormone (LH) was low, Estradiol high, and DHEA-S was low.
    Plus Basophils & Neutrophils were high, with low Lymphocytes. (No clue what that means??)
    I am wondering if Dr. Williams will do long distance readings of blood tests? Do you all know if he currently does?
    Thanks,
    Stacey

61. Norbert says:

Thanks for sharing kevin

62. Thank you for sharing your thoughts about this. Very interesting reading! You have inspired me to get my blood tested!!
    Which kind of bloodtest would you say is the most important to do?
    I think I read an article a while ago written by kevin about this, but now I can’t find it! : (
    I live in Sweden so probably the test is called something else here, but maybe it’s the same name : )
    I wish you all the best Annmarie and I hope that your TSH will be better to next time and all the other things that you have to work on!!!
    GOOD LUCK!

63. Lora Price says:

Please look into iodine. There is a yahoo group for iodine that has lots of information about thyroid and iodine. We have so much halides in our envirnment and food that we have a hard time getting enough iodine to displace it. I was able to drop my thyroid antibodies donw to <10 by doing the iodine protocol, which includes certain supplements, because it does require certain nutrients to work correctly. Most people who have a reaction to iodine are actually thrown into detoxing and it overloads the body's ability to detox. You can also check Dr. Brownstein, Dr. Flechas and Dr. Abrams for more information. The breast tissue and all the endocrine glands and all mucous lining need iodine to function properly, not just the thyroid. With the levels of halides in the environment, it is hard to get enough iodine through food sources alone.

64. Jean says:

The genetic test to find out if you methylate your B vitamins normally is MTHFR.

The following insertion if from a website on pregnancy. Women with this genetic disposition are more likely to have children with neural tube defects like spina bifida b/c their bodies do not see the folic acid in their multivitamin.

You can take a methylated form of folic acid and B12. Dr. Brownstein offers from his website, drbrownstein.com

“Methylenetetrahydrofolate reductase (MTHFR) is the name of a gene that produces an enzyme, also called methylenetetrahydrofolate reductase. If a person carries the genetic mutation that inhibits production of this enzyme, it can result in hyperhomocytenemia, which is an elevated level of an enzyme called homocysteine found in blood plasma.

When the body is deficient in methylenetetrahydrofolate reductase, its ability to absorb folate (also known as vitamin B9), such as folic acid, is inhibited. Folic acid and B9 are both essential to the development and health of the fetus.”

Good luck all,
    J

65. just a bit skeptical about blood tests. Having worked in the medical field in the past, I’ve seen how test results from what is run today, will be different from the test they take next week, next day, and sometimes next hour! It’s what happens when dealing with a living organism in a constant state of change. Plus, the added question, who can honestly say what the body is chemically ‘supposed’ to look like? Do they really know unequivocally? I mean, take for example creating a baby ‘formula’…as we have seen in the past, there is no way to replicate breast milk exactly, by leaving out those one or two seemingly inconsequential ingredients or adding others, there have been terrible results. So, if you are feeling great, why ‘look for something’? If you’re not, then of course you may need to become a good detective. Our bodies are pretty awesome at telling us what to do. For us, if after we eat, we feel crappy, it may be time to avoid whatever we ate. We reevaluate what’s else is going on…relationships, stress level, cabin fever, sun exposure, spirit, exercise, colon cleansing, and so on. Sometimes we just need to hit the reset button by fasting, cleansing, and pumping the green juice, other times we just need more sleep, or a few days away from it all, or more playtime. Thanks. Bliss and blessings to you guys! Much love, Annette and Avery

66. Mario S says:

Thanks for sharing yr personal data, it’s very helpful @ my age- 61- to have resources like you.Love the Ceylon Cinnamon too.
    I HANDLED MY LOW THYROID COMPLETELY AS WELL AS CHEST PAINS, COLDS AND I REGULARLY VANQUISH PATHOGENS WITH SODIUM CHLORITE, a water purification alkaline mineral. See more @ jimhumble.biz
    has all the data on this wonderful water purification mineral and I’ve verified it’s efficacy with my microscope..it kills all pathogens and parasites..millions have cured themselves of diseases in a world where manmade poisons abound some may need a man made purifier.
    Dr. Young uses it too, with 100% success.
    See BetterMMS.com and videos at you tube
    MMS4all
    Salute to good health and enlightenment, Mario

67. Zakiyyah says:

Thanks for the info,it does help a lot. My biggest problem is I really don’t like needles,I have always been that way,and probably always will be. Is there another way I acn be checked?

Zakiyyah

68. Satya says:

Thanks for sharing your results, Annmarie! I’d love to hear more about your plan to do more intensive herbs for your thyroid. I’ve been dealing with thyroid issues for years now, and have had much success with a mostly raw diet which includes a little meat every week. I have NOT eliminated the cruciferous veggies as they have SO many other benefits! They are such a main part of my diet and my levels have gone up with this diet! The power of my emotional health and spiritual health including meditation and relaxation, speaking up, laughter, lovemaking, bringing joy into my life, yoga, dance have all so been important in my physical healing!
    Suggestion: do a renegade segment thyroid health.
    Thanks for all you do and doing it with such honest! Enjoy!!

69. sheri says:

Hi
    I just wanted to pass on that we use body balance, which has 9 varieties of sea weed along with aloe vera, in a liquid form. It seems to be helping us, so for what it is worth, just wanted to pass this on.
    Thanks, Sheri

70. OM says:

Hi AnnMarie,

Thank you for sharing,- it is even more important because Hypothyroidism is an epidemic so you are not alone, quite the contrary!

I have spent over ten years researching thyroid and adrenal issues and made a webpage where I share what I have found to be most helpful.

You and others can find that site the Thyroid -Adrenal Connection at:

Many doctors who know about thyroid issues consider a TSH above 2 to be a problem. There are other important tests to do to find out more about your thyroid function now….FREE T4, FREE T3, and thyroid antibodies….very important, don’t wait! You should also have your iodine levels tested if you have not already done so. The FREE T4 and FREE T3 thyroid hormone tests tell you what is actually available for use, not bound to protein. The thyroid antibody tests tell you whether your thyroid issues are auto-immune, many are. Most doctors do not do these very important tests unless asked to do so. Please ask!

Another alternative is to test all of the thyroid hormones, adrenal hormone, estrogen, progesterone and testosterone via saliva testing at http://www.canaryclub.org I think they also have a test for iodine now.

I know you will want to try foods, herbs and supplements before taking natural thyroid hormone, but please don’t do what I did and wait too long!….all the while you are Hypothyroid your adrenals glands try to compensate and they will become exhausted trying to make up for too little thyroid hormone. True Adrenal Exhaustion is a lot harder to overcome so don’t go there if possible. You might also have your Cortisol levels tested now just to make sure your adrenals are OK.

The best book I ever read on Hypothyroidism is by Dr. Broda Barnes and is called “Hypothyroidism: the Unsuspected Illness”.

A great website and book is the STTM site “Stop the Thyroid Madness”.

The best book on Adrenal issues: “The Safe Uses of Cortisol” by Dr. Jefferies MD.

Hopefully, getting the proper nutrients, iodine, selenium, tyrosine and others will be all you need to bring your thyroid back to normal. However, for many people, even though on an excellent diet, something – perhaps environmental or viral or whatever has caused hypothyroidism to be an epidemic in recent years.

Wishing you the best possible health and happiness.

Peace, Love and Harmony,
    Bev

71. Kim says:

Perfect timing guys, just got my blood test back and the results were: low in B12, low in Vitamin D and I am also hypothryoid. Was on an 80% raw diet for 3 months but changed to vegan now. Now with taking supplements I should level out. I’ve already started doing the thyroid exercises demonstrated by Dr. Willaims. Thanks so much for sharing your information!

72. Sue says:

Kuru said:
    “Annmarie, why did you single out women to get their thyroid checked in their 30’s? Why not men too?”

Because women are more prone to get hypothyroidism. Maybe that’s starting to change – need to see latest statistics.
    Men can get it checked.

73. Sue says:

From an article:
    “Hypothyroidism overwhelmingly afflicts women, (four times more often than men), especially those women between the ages of 35 and 60”

74. Bee says:

Zakiyyah-there is a numbing cream that they can use (applied about 10 minutes before) so that you wont feel the needle. My daughter had it last year when she was 8 and she asked when they were going to start (we had her look away) after they had taken 6 vials!

75. Mary Kay says:

I have been trying to naturally cure my hypothyroidism for about 14 years. I have done many tests on myself. It finally cured itself after a raw juice fast! Go figure.

I did many experiments, which began at least a dozen years ago: :

added a bunch of soy – much of it processed after 6 – 8 weeks levels did not change.

Added as many cruciferous veggies as I could –again no change in levels.

Added both iodine and kelp —levels got worse. Poor test. should have done one or the other. don’t know what the iodine (liquid) was that I used either.

Tried tyrosine, but don’t think I did it enough.

Tried raw thyroid glandulars, but don’t think I did it enough.

Re Armour Thyroid –even though it is natural – derived from pigs, it is higher in T3. T4 to T3 natural ratio in our body should be 10 :1. Armour is 4: 1. when I took it my free T3 levels got too high. However Armour is good for those whose bodies don’t convert T4 into T3, apperently mine does the conversion just fine.Ended up on generic synthroid (levoxyl), but discontinued during a cleanse when I became hyperthyroid—about four years ago, and have never needed it since.

Recently, my TSH was 2.1 so it appears to be coming up slowly. I’ve added more seaweeds. Will begin Lugol’s after I retest my blood, because I want to see how the seaweed affects it.

Sorry so long. Just wanted to share some of my findings.

If you can believe Aajonus Vonderplanitz, I think? he said he cured someone by giving them raw thyroid..I think from a cow…but you’d better check this…I’m fuzzy on it.

76. Mariko Dugay says:

I understand you need iodine for thyroid health and you want to eat a lot of seaweed if you have hypothyroid but in Japan where seaweed is a big part of their diet doctors tell the patients with Hashimoto’s syndrome to stop or reduce thier seaweed(especially kelp) intake. I don’t see any of those ideas in this country yet. Interesting. Maybe Japanese poeple just take too much kelp since they are born….

77. Brian says:

mariko, those ideas are here, but they tend to run in highly alternative circles and those who know oriental medicine (a few raw foodists i know are aware).

I must admit that I didn’t know it was so underdiagnosed as suggested above.

78. Sue Rushford says:

Hi Annmarie, thank you so much for posting this – I had my blood tested last month – showed everything in normal ranges besides D deficiency & low calcium – just went to a holistic doc yesterday, for the first time, and apparently I’m a train wreck between candida & hypothyroid – she wants me to take Armour (dessicated pig thyroid) – it sounds like it’s much safer and more effective than the synthetic thyroid, but the idea of having to be on an animal-based supplement is extremely upsetting to me – I am willing to try any and all plant-based/herbal/etc options first – I don’t know anything about thyroid, so reading everyone’s posts has been so wonderful.

I’m still so upset tho – was willing to cut fruit & gluten, but now also all grains, even gluten free, now also take all sorts of supplements & oils – that’s all diet related – I can handle that – but I don’t think I’ll be able to bring myself to take Amour – and she wants me to lay off intensive aerobic exercise at least while I’m trying to get my adrenals back in order – OK, I just signed up for several half marathons and a full marathon – I don’t eat animal products and I run distance races – now I’m being told I should compromise my ethical beliefs for my own health & quit an activity that brings me such a sense of accomplishment – wow, this is a lot to digest.

I will read and reread all the suggestions above & continue to hope that a vegan alternative to Armour will be found – perhaps I need to see the accupuncturist/herbal medicine person – there’s got to be some way to manage this.

– Sue

79. Irondoll or Pat G. says:

Hey, Kevin, try to avoid blaming yourself for your health challenges i.e., completely my fault. Circumstances changed you’re focus. It’s better to for you emotionally to claim responsibility for the choices you made…the ability to respond. Blame and fault are not synonymous with responsibility. Those first 2 words are harsh and punitive.

Be well!

80. sue says:

Hi: just saw this, so hope you will see the response. RE thyroid: I ended up hyper…thinking all along that I was just wound up and nervous. So I took GABA supplement which worked. Discovered hyper by a doctor who palpated the thyroid gland saying it was enlarged; so exams followed due to goiter which can be cancer tho not often. Endocrinologists go largely by what the patient says (I remember Dr. Williams once contrasted the patient and the papers from tests!) So if you get dead tired//gain weight for no reason it could be hypothyroid. Yes, tapping. Long ago a healer said we should thump (not just tap) our thymus to energize the thyroid….sort of a Tarzan move. Go for it and, most importantly, happy parenting!