My Personal Blood Test Analysis : Renegade Health Exclusive Article

Monday Feb 21 | BY |

dr-je-williams-kevin-gianni-tangerines
Lessons from the wiser: “Yes, Kevin, tangerines are healthy… but that doesn’t mean you should eat 100 in one sitting.”

As you know, I have been working with Dr. J. E. Williams to repair the damage I did to my body eating what I thought was “the healthiest diet on the planet.”

When we were down in Sarasota, we had our blood taken and he then went over what he saw with us.

The good news is that almost everything that was low and deficient is normalizing.

The bad news is I still have a little bit to work on.

To help you understand the process of getting your blood tested and reading it, we filmed our consultations with Dr. Williams to share with you. (Here is mine.)

But regardless of the video, in this article, I’m going to share some of the things that have worked out well and some of the things I still need to improve on.

Here we go…

1. I have nothing to hide!

As you know, we don’t hold back.

Some people might have never shown their consultations online like this. For me, I want to do it, regardless of what they show to help you understand how important a process this is for everyone. This process is beyond my own ego. I do it to help.

Reading your blood markers over time can help you reach incredible levels of health as well as help you prevent disease before it happens, that’s why I feel it’s just as essential as sunlight and water.

Every time I’ve had my blood tested, I’ve learned more about myself and what I need to do better. It’s like having a coach reminding you about the important aspects of the game when you need them most.

The reason we’re sharing our tests – Annmarie’s tomorrow – is because we want you to take your blood tests and learn from them too. They’re one of the best tools to help determine if your diet is working or not – no matter what you choose to eat.

2. My vitamin D dropped again.

I have to say this is the most disappointing of all the news from my tests.

When I first was tested my level was at 23.

I was tested again at True North in July and my level was at 45 – a great increase and moving toward optimal.

At that time, I was taking 10,000 IU a day.

After my 45 reading, I started taking vitamin D less regularly assuming that it would slowly increase.

That was not the case.

Over the past 3 months, we’ve been stuck inside in the snowy Northeast U.S. and I really wasn’t taking much D at all.

This most recent test result came in at 29.

My levels should be in the 60-90 range, so I’m clearly under-performing here.

Lesson Learned: I have to take Vitamin D or else my levels will drop.

NOTE: There is a theory that if you don’t wash your body, you will absorb vitamin D on your skin better. I don’t use soap on my body when I shower, so apparently my natural oils aren’t doing all they’re supposed to do to raise my levels. Not using soap may have helped, but it’s not raising my numbers to optimal levels.

3. B12 is lower than higher.

This is almost the same lesson as the Vitamin D.

My levels were in the mid 200’s the first time, went up to 700 or so and then dropped down to just under 400.

Again, I stopped using the patch, because I thought I might be able to get away with less.

This was not true.

You’re probably wondering why I stopped taking the supplements if they were working. That’s actually a great question.

The reason why is because something about me thinks it’s unnatural to take supplements. “Why would I need to take a supplement, can’t I get it from food,” is what I usually catch myself thinking.

Lesson Learned: Sometimes the results don’t match your philosophy. I’m taking D and B12 now and got a B12 shot to boost them initially.

3. Testosterone is still a little low.

It’s not nearly as low as it was, but it’s coming up.

My low testosterone is a perfect representation of how adrenal stress can lower other hormone levels in the body.

I’ve spent a long time repairing my adrenals over the last two years, and they’re almost back to normal.

So, in time, my testosterone levels will normalize and I’ll be completely healed.

The good news is, in this case, up is good!

Lesson Learned: Don’t burn out your adrenals with stimulants like coffee, caffeine and cacao.

4. Lipids are normalizing as well.

When I first was tested 3-4 years ago, my cholesterol was 111.

I had thought this was good because I read in the China Study that the Chinese have lower cholesterol – around 90-110.

Apparently, I was showing signs of hormone imbalance – like tiredness, inability to get out of bed, sluggish thought processing – so clearly I was 100% wrong in my assumption.

My cholesterol now is 146, which is great. I feel better too.

My HDL is a little low, but I wonder if having my blood drawn the week of the Great Health Debate could have caused some lower numbers – low HDL because of my lack of exercise the last few weeks and low testosterone because of my increase in cortisol for those few weeks (read: STRESS.)

As we settle in Denver, the mission is exercise. We’ll see how those numbers change.

Lesson Learned: Cholesterol under 140 or so is not good. You won’t be able to produce hormones well if it’s too low.

6. Everything else is A-OK which is good, but I’m young and everything should be!

In my 30’s, I shouldn’t have any issues.

The reason I do, is because I followed some advice that I didn’t think out so clearly.

My health challenges are completely my fault and now I’m working hard to get back the health that I had before I did some of the experiments.

What were they?

There are two main ones:

– 100% raw food
– Too much raw cacao

Are either of these bad? Of course not.

100% raw food is a fantastic way to hit your body’s reset button or heal. Some people need to do it for 3 months, others for 5 years.

Is cacao all that bad? I think it’s appropriate as a treat once every 2-3 months or so. You can get plenty of antioxidants and magnesium from other foods without the caffeine or theobromine (which does almost the same thing to your body.)

7. How did my diet change?

Dr. Williams says in the video often, “because of the dietary changes.”

So my first tests were not good and these subsequent ones are getting better.

Just so you understand, here are the dietary changes we’ve made:

First, we’ve started to eat more cooked foods – mainly root vegetables, steamed vegetables, some rice and some grains. These have helped me gain weight from 160 to about 185. Before, I was eating about 95-100% raw. Now, we’re around 75%. (This has also decreased my stress around diet as well, which is a fantastic feeling!)

Second, I’ve reintroduced goat milk kefir (fermented goat milk.) I’m sure this doesn’t make you happy if you’re a vegan, but it’s helped me significantly, as you can see from the tests.

Thirdly, I’ve been exercising much more frequently than before. When we first started testing, it was hard for me to workout because I was either too worn down or I would cramp up – due to my dietary indiscretions. This is no longer an issue and we’ve been working out regularly over the last 6 months.

Fourth, I’ve been taking enzymes regularly to assist in digestion. At times, I will take HCL if I eat a dense meal – lots of nuts, grains or legumes.

That’s about it.

All these decisions were made with the assistance of Dr. Williams as well as my own research and have worked out well for me. This doesn’t mean you need to do the same thing, I’m just telling you so you can see how this process works for me!

Tomorrow, we have Annmarie’s consultation and test analysis. You might be surprised at what comes up in her tests… stay tuned!

If you want to learn more about how to read your own blood tests, Dr. Williams and I have put together an entire program on it! Click here to read more!

Kev’s SuperDelicious Ceylon Cinnamon Bark – Buy 2 and Save (One More Day Only!)

We get our cinnamon from a bio-dynamic, organic farm in Costa Rica, so sometimes it takes a little while for them to harvest and send it up to us.

Every batch is harvested to order and we know it’s of the best quality, because we’ve been to the farm!

My Ceylon Cinnamon Bark makes quite possibly the best cinnamon tea, you’ve ever tasted. In fact, the first time on of our friends tasted it, she asked if we put “magic” in it.

To get a bag and try it out (the recipe for the tea is on the label) and get a discount when you get two bags, please go here to get it before we run out again…

1. Derek Henry says:

I admire you for posting this info, and like you, I am always searching for ways to improve to reach the ultimate balance and peak in my health. I will be doing something very similar soon, as I once had a long way to go, but thanks to you and Mike Adams I’ve become very passionate and well educated and thats the first cruical step in understanding your options and improving your health. Again, many thnaks to you.

2. jalil says:

What is the kefir giving you that you could not get from a supplement?

3. Kevin I applaud you. One question however: What are the other indicators OTHER than “levels in the blood” , to determine health. The major indicators are of course how you feel and perform in quantifiable and comparable physical tests and under “common denominator” conditions. If a person shows great progress year after year, in all physical tests including getting zero cold and flu symptoms in two or more decades, and they are not tired, have great skin, greater-than-before concentration, etc., then “nutrient levels in the blood” may be a little anti-climactic and possible misleading, as it makes them want to just “eat pills to get the levels up”. Not that blood tests are not good. They do have their benefits of course.

Also, when I had my blood tested more than a decade of being vegan, the doctor told me my HDL was a little low (meanwhile I had been exercising professionally for over two decades at that point. I told him what Dr. Dean Ornish reminded us about in his famous “Prevent Heart Disease” book, which is namely that, when you eat noå animal products there is so little need to HDL compared to the average SAD eater. My doctor said that in his 40 years of practice he had never seen blood as healthy as mine, yet compared to the “norm”, he and his colleagues all misinterpreted it as “unhealthy levels”…

4. Philip Madeley says:

What blood tests do you recommend. I want to get mine done. Thank You

5. michael westrick says:

Thank you for your honesty. I find this lacking at times in the nutritional community….You are such an honorable man…..FAN4LIFE..Michael

6. Debbie says:

Kevin
    I am so grateful to you for posting your true health results. As you know, I went 2 1/2 yrs on nearly 100% raw. To date, nearly 2 yrs later, I am feeling much stronger and healthier. We all need to find what works FOR US. Even your own wife has different needs than you do I am sure.
    I have my family on daily vitamin d. 2K a day is non toxic and with some sun here in Cali every day (most days) we are good. My last test I was at 68 for D.
    Keep working at your health, I am so glad you did this for your future kids too 🙂
    deb

7. I’m really curious if we can do this without a doctor. My problems began at birth and I progressively got worse over the years. Doctors were of NO help until the last 10-15 years or so when I actually received 13 diagnosis from different doctors. Did everything under the sun but nothing worked (and spent tons of money on supplements etc on top of it all). Eventually I gave up on doctors (and I had the best in the county in the field of alternative medicine). I eventually (around this same time) accepted the fact that all of my problems (hormonal included) could be the result of candida (lots of antibiotics in the 50’s and 60’s, poor diet and stress) which would take a very strict diet long term to deal with (hard to do). Since June I have been embarking on more of a raw foods diet (did something similar but different several years ago. Not as good as what I’m doing now but I did well on it) with green smoothies (a main stay of my diet), more salads, fresh fruit etc. We’ve even made some raw dehydrated recipes. I’m seeing improvement slowly but not where I’d like to be by a long shot. Not 100% either and may need to tighten up and get serious. 🙂 Wish I had done blood work at the beginning but I didn’t know. I DO NOT have a physician at this point and if I did it would need to be someone who understood diet and nutrition the way I’m coming to understand it. Or someone willing to order the right tests (and no what they are) and allow me to interpret them. Any way I can do this on my own. I know there are labs that will allow some testing without a script and I did get my 25 hydroxy ohd tested (d3) which according to the Vitamin D cancel is the most accurate on my own. I was VERY low. I took 10,000 iu’s (?) of D3 from Life Extension for 6 months and didn’t notice any improvement so I went off. But I wasn’t doing a plant based diet along with it. I should probably retest. Your ideas would really be appreciated.

8. elf says:

RE: not using soap on your body. Do you dry brush or use some other method to remove dead skin? It seems to me your body oils may be working better in Florida, I assume there is more skin exposed on the sand than there was in the snow! LOL Also, in Denver you will have more exposure, as we are closer to the sun! Actually, it is more that there is less air here.

9. dawn mcconachie says:

that is awesome that you got your cholesterol higher but how are you doing it? My cholesterol is also much too low and I have no idea how to raise it.

10. I meant to add that I no longer attribute just an overgrown of candida as my cause. I’ve come to realize why my problems started at birth and what transpired in my body over the years. I’m really believing that proper nutrition will help me get completely well and live the life my creator created me to live (I’m a Christian). 🙂 THANKS

11. June says:

Thanks, Kevin. I too sometimes “forget” to take B12 and D, but think no big deal, but I can see from your results it can be a big deal. I live in Canada where it is cold and find that a warm soup with the root veggies and lentils cooked are a real benefit. It is important to remind myself that this is not a religion, but about nutrition.

12. Lynn says:

I think goat’s milk is deficient in b12. In Sally Fallon’s book they recommend cow’s milk over goats milk if you are trying to obtain b12. I am drinking raw cow’s milk kefir daily but now you’ve got me curious to see what my b12 levels are. I also tried not to wash with soap after sunbathing last summer so now I’m curious to see my D levels as well. Maybe they are not so high as I thought!

Thanks for sharing this!

13. Mike says:

That (you posted it) was awesome. Dr. Williams probably would like a signed release from the both of you in his file. Hah. Upped my want to to get mine tested.

14. Stephanie says:

Thank you for your openness. I am super excited to see Annmarie’s tomorrow.

15. Anne says:

Thanks Kevin,

I’m having blood tests at the moment and investigating some abnormalities also brought on by dietary experiments mainly 100% raw and also later the 80-10-10. I’ve messed things up because of this and my body right now is malabsorbing which means i eat all the time and barely manage to keep weight on and my iron level is really low as is a few electrolytes and my liver enzymes are a bit elevated.

However, I am on the right path now and everything I do leads me closer to where I want to be and I”m happy about what I discover along the way. And THANK YOU for being so open and honest about your own experience!

16. Anna says:

You and Annemarie are great role models for your commitment to health, your honesty, and your openess. Thanks for all that you do.

17. PE says:

About cacao/cocoa (or in German or Russian kakao, Chinese keke 3rd tone), no-one need sweat the alleged bounty of magnesium, since at the optimal 6 gram daily dose, you get all of 30mg, under a tenth of what you need. Not to sneeze at it, but even those without Kevin’s issues won’t materially benefit that way unless they overdose and risk side effects. Yes, food has side effects, raw, cooked, or microwaved.
    As for D, I too tend to think higher levels are better, but this may turn out to be an error of enthusiasm. We’ll see; so far the Institute of Medicine disagrees, though they raised both the desired and permitted levels.

18. zia says:

Thank you Kevin!! Your honesty and open heart is refreshing in a world of dogmas. You have inspired me to do a blood test as well. I live in the Denver area- Welcome to the Rockies! Also, I wanted to thank you for all the good work for the Great Health Debate.
    Cheers! zia

19. Gail says:

So, the ‘best diet on the planet’ that you were referring to was when you were eating 100% raw?

As I write this, I have been feeling ‘ill’ for the last three days. Can’t figure out why or what. I had the day off today and went for a physical, so will be curious what the labs reveal.

Love ya both and appreciate you!

20. Carolyn says:

I think I have pinpointed my problems to malabsorbtion due to the trial of a raw diet several years ago. I have never been the same since. I felt great at the time I was virtually raw but when I returned to a regular diet my body fell apart. I am hoping with some good advice I can resore and build up what was lost.

21. wendy green says:

very candid of you kev! had my blood tested ab few months back. my cholesteral went up from 150 to 165….attributing this to regular coco nut oil . thinking you need the cooked food in nj in the winter… <3

22. Laura says:

Wow Kevin,

Thank you so much for your candor. The sharing of this information has been really, really helpful for me. I have been going through some health challenges and find that I need to be aware of the “I must be perfect” internal self-talk. Just seeing that someone as young, active and health conscious as you are still has adjustments to make is inspiring as well as comforting to me. I can also see that I may need to adjust the doctor that I’ve been seeing as well 🙂

Thank you again for your extreme generosity!

23. Butch says:

1. Have you considered your Vitamin D didn’t drop because of your diet, but because you weren’t getting enough sun daily, which is the natural form of Vit D. So you can get enough being natural. You can get 10,000 IU Vitamin D from 15-20 min in the sun daily.

2. How do you know B12 levels are low for a raw vegan? Most levels checked by Dr’s are based on cooked food diets, which aren’t natural. It should naturally be lower.

3. True that we should eliminate stimulants to avoid burning out adrenals.

4. How do you know your hormone level was the problem for your symptoms? If none of the Chinese were having the same symptoms on the same level, then could it have been your diet? Were you eating an 80/10/10 diet?

In conclusion, a lot of these problems can be avoided being on an 80/10/10 diet and getting enough sun, low stress, plenty of rest and exercise. If you have certain problems with symptoms you could always go to Dr. Graham for a consultation too. Cooked is unnatural and causes long term problems. Good luck in health!

24. Mary Kay says:

Thank you for sharing, Kevin. And thank you for your openness and for seeking the truth.

I have been a firm believer in using science (blood tests etc) as a gauge for many years and my D levels were low too. Interestingly, I took 4000 – 6000 units a day and it went too high and I got kidney stones, which were undiagnosed, but I felt back pain for a month. Am about to retest.

Another test I beieve to be mandatory is a digestive stool analysis. Amazing what you can find with one of these. Everyone should get their whole family to do one! You might have difficulty gettng a blood tst from a kid, but having them poop in a bowl is no big deal!

25. Chris says:

Thank you for sharing.
    This is why I follow your blog even though I am not vegan.

26. Maria Shere says:

Thank you, Kevin and Anne Marie, for being so candid with all you have learned. I, too, became weaker and had a large amount of weight loss when going almost 100% raw. The picture and comment above clearly shows how what is good for one is not necessarily good in excess. I went from 110 pounds down to 87# which is close to the lower edge of my BMI (-10 for small bones +10 for large) for small bones at 5’0″. I am returning to my 60-80% raw diet which, when sticking to whole organic foods, has worked well for me over the years. I feel good weighing in at 105 and that is my new weight goal. I am gaining a couple of pounds each month, slowly, but steadily. The cleansing the raw food diet afforded me, was fantastic, but now it is time to build.

27. Julia says:

Kevin, I am Julia from Germany, I have been following the GHD and now want to express my thankfullness and gratitude for your courageous work. Thank you for speaking for so many

Julia

28. LL says:

Where can one get goat’s kefir?
    Thank you for all you do.

29. Cindy says:

Thanks for this post. i watched the video and had questions but you have answered most of them in this post. Did Dr Williams say anything about your testosterone being low due to your lower cholesterol levels? I realise that stress and lack of exercise play a role but i also believe that hormones (esp testosterone) are reliant on cholesterol being available. Just wanted to point that out. Was it you who wrote a post on coconut oil increasing cholesterol? Can’t remember where i read it but maybe it’s something for you to consider.
    I’m looking forward to seeing Ann Marie’s test results tomorrow.
    thanks again and have a great day.

30. Cita says:

Thanks for your openness and this info!

Would be really interesting to know your blood types.
    You seem to eat very little protein?
    (Or what are your protein sources?)

31. Lynn says:

Been eating 100% raw for health reasons for about 6 mo. now and feel good, tho my alternative Dr. also insists on regular blood tests to monitor health. I am having the same problems as you Kevin, with low “good” cholesterol, etc. It has been recommended to me to eat a little cooked meat and root veggies also. Living in Chicago, I can say that the news was welcome. It was very hard to get thru this first winter all raw. I am having a hard time wrapping my head around the idea that I should eat something cooked, (I gave myself such pep talks to go all raw), but am willing to make adjustments for my health-I will then see if I feel good and it helps my numbers….

32. Marina says:

Thank you both for always being so open. I plan on getting some blood work done myself in the next few weeks to make sure all my markers are in the healthy zone. I am open to also adding in goat kefir or raw goat cheese.. We have a great local company here – Redwood Hills and I talked to one of the owners in length ( he is in my running group) and they are really great about how much love and special attention they give their 300 goats. I have added in cooked gluten-free grains and steamed veggies and this has helped with my energy on those muddy running trails. Health & Happiness to you both, Marina

33. Jane Guyette says:

I too have had the same experience as you and thank you for sharing your courageous journey with us all. I will definitely share your story with my colon hydrotherapy and cleansing clients. The high people get off raw food can be an addiction if taken too far. I so believe in balance and individual nutrition and we need more stories like yours. I teach raw food health, but in balance. I think our spirits are moving faster than our bodies can keep up with and we need to respect that fact and acknowledge that we are still human. We will change the chemistry of our bodies as we move closer to spirit, but in due time. Patience and education are the keys to good health.

34. sharon says:

As an ethical vegan I cannot ever use Goat’s Milk Kefir. What is it that you are getting from that, and can you get the same from Coconut water kefir? Is it B12 that you are getting from the animal product? I thought that a huge portion of the population is deficient in B12…even animal product eaters…?

35. There’s a lot more to drinking milk than B12, its also an good source of B vitamins, and Vitamin D for people who cannot get enough from the sun. I am so glad you decided to include animal food in your diet I think you will do much better on it.

36. sharon says:

Again, as an ethical vegan I have to ask Marina about the well-cared for goats. What happens to the offspring? The female has to get pregnant before she can give milk, so what happens to the baby goats? If it’s a female do they keep it to add to their dairy…and is that unending? How many additional female goats can they accommodate? And if it’s a male goat…? And how long can a female goat continuously get pregnant and have babies before she wears out and probably goes to slaughter? Seems like one species USING another species without getting permission…so the ultimate question is…are there no other solutions to finding the nutrient derived from the goat milk? Do we really need to use the goat?? Thanks for any enlightenment on this.

37. Does anyone know where/how to get blood work done in the UK? Run of the mill GP’s wont do it unless there is a medical reason or another doctor has requested them.

I too have been 100% raw vegan but have gradually introduced some cooked and occasional portions of fish over the last few months and feel more ‘balanced’. I am still a huge fan of HIGH raw, and find my digestion is better if I aim for 75 – 80% raw.

Thanks

38. Jinny says:

I am reading a book by Dr John Lee and Virginia Hopkins called “Hormone Balance Made Simple” and he says to get a true reading of your hormones they should be done through saliva testing. So I am wondering how you had your Testosterone tested? Then it got me thinking….since Vitamin D is really a hormone and has been misclassified I wonder what is the best way to test it?
    I too have had challenges since going raw, my theory is when you eat a raw diet the body goes into healing mode and is bringing up all the neglect and abuse that you did to your body during previous bad eating habits. If one does not target those deficiencies through supplementation or highly nutrient foods, they will do more damage. It seems the body does need help in those area, but I do not think most people are disciplined enough to eat the most nurturing foods such as leafy greens, sprouts, algae, sea vegetables, etc…and able to stay away from the nuts, cacao, high sweet fruits like dates and bananas and agave, etc….

@Cindy, Dr Cousins wrote the article on coconut oil.

39. Nikki K says:

Hey Kevin… Glad to see that your Blood tests are showing you are getting stronger and Healthier. Adrenal fatique can play havoc with ALL hormones, especially Thyroid.

I’d guess Anne Marie’s VIT D levels are higher than yours. Even though with a surname like GIANNI you’ve gotta have some Italian lineage (duh! ;), your Red hair and light complexion point to Celtic lineage as well (any Irish or Scottish or Welsh on your Mom’s side ?).

There seems to be some Genetic tendencies for Celts to have an issue with absorbing and metabolizing Calcium and other bone and teeth minerals like Magensium, Boron, etc..
    And since VIT D helps the body absorb these Minerals, you might well need more of ALL of the above than Anne Marie does (more Italian lineage with darker hair, skin, and eyes ?)

Did Dr. Williams talk to you about considering supplementing with SEA/OCEAN sources of these minerals (ie. sea greens)?
    ALL our Earth/ground grown Veggies and Fruits are lacking in these Minerals compared to just 100 years ago because our topsoil is becomming more and more depletated of these important Minerals and Nutrients.

By the way…
    Did you have a BONE DENSITY test done, too ?

THANKS! again for the Report, and looking forward to learning about how Anne Marie is faring.

GOD BLESS !

40. Jess says:

Kev,
    I don’t know if you’ll actually read this with all the mail you get, but I have been wanting to express to you for a short time how much respect I am gaining for you.

When you first came on the scene and I started getting emails from you, I thought you were just another self-proclaimed guru scratching the backs of all your guru friends in order to sell shit. But recently, you have REALLY set yourself apart.

First, there were the Health Debates. Thank you for organizing and facilitating such a great group of speakers. I used to fantasize about debates like these when I was 100% raw (which I no longer am!). Then there is your complete honesty and transparency. YOU POSTED YOUR BLOOD RESULTS. A lot of raw food leaders shy away from this, but I feel like if one is a long term raw foodist on a so-called “perfect diet”and proclaiming longevity secrets, then one should be able to do this.

I have noticed that (yes, I AM going to name names here! I know it’s a big faux pas!) raw food men like David Wolfe and Matt Monarch RARELY show themselves without a shirt. (The exception is the truly beautiful Ka Sundance!) Why? Because they don’t look that great! They are either undertoned or WAYYYY too skinny. They don’t look like they’d last a day doing any real physical labor on a farm! I don’t care what they say about how the what is considered “normal” is skewed because raw foodists are being compared with SAD eaters. WHATEVER! We all know a fit body when we see one, don’t we?

I WANT A GURU HOT BOD PHOTO CONTEST with blood work results! You kinda touched on this with the “My guru looks better than your guru” blog post. Let their bodies (and their Blood test) be the proof. I double dog dare all health leaders to do this before urging anyone to switch to a particular diet!

Oh, and am I the only person that thinks it’s down right laughable that people in their 30s and 40s are proclaiming the “keys to longevity”?! George Burns is rolling over in his grave, martini and cigar in hand! People, there are no guarantees! NONE of those who lived over 100 years old were raw foodists!

OK, I’m done! You rock!!

41. Theresa says:

Thank you for openly sharing your health/healing journey with us. You’re lighting the path to greater health for many of us! Thank you.

42. Joe says:

Kevin…thanks for your transparency…as a 100% Raw guy…your confession is admirable. I too have flirted with being a “RAW GUY” but I do feel weak and out of sorts….and my blood work shows this. With a variety I feel better …mostly vegan but some fish(wild) and organic chicken or turkey…I do use cooked vegetable roots…I’m feeling greaat and defeating cancer with this diet….plus numerous supplements. Love & Blessing with Gratitude. Joe

43. Awesome post Kev! Glad to see you improving! I’ve also come accross others who don’t do so well on 100% raw, it can be kind of hard on the body in a way, even though its definitely fantastic for cleansing etc.

HI raw which is what you guys are all about is the way to go, with a % of cooked food as you’re doing now.

I can’t tolerate dairy otherwise i’d be doing kefir aswell! Its great you’re onto that and that it’s helping. I’m not sure of your stand on eggs but IMO quality organic eggs can add so much added value to a vegan/vego diet. Awesomely complete amino acid profile, B’s, A, D, good cholesterol, and heme iron!

Also following bloods is something everyone should do. As you say, keeps you knowing if your on the right diet path 🙂

44. Sandra says:

I’ve read many books on centenarians all eating different diets. The truth is it is not what we eat. It is absolutely 100% what we think ! Attitudes create ill health in the body. Check out Ramtha’s School of Enlightenment. Ramtha has said raw food is best, grown locally, but a person can still have a pure diet (perfect)and still get cancer if they have an emotion that is not resolved. Ive learned to see the future. Our minds create our reality. I know this from experience. Many masters living past thousands of years drink wine & smoke a pipe.
    It’s all about mind not diet.

45. Sayward says:

Hey Kevin, I really REALLY appreciate your honesty and openness. I’m trying to understand something and I hope my question comes across as genuine truth-seeking and not as offensive (no ‘caught-chya” here, I promise)

I’m wondering, did you try to heal yourself/raise your levels within the parameters of a vegan diet *before* you resorted to adding animals? Or did you go straight to the animal productss?

I ask because I feel like, over and over, I see a person:

1) Adopt a *very restrictive* (ie all-raw, or gf/soy-freef/nut-free, etc) or *very unhealthy* (ie bread-atarian) version of a vegan diet
    2) Get sick. Blame veganism.
    3) Revert to a *much less restrictive* diet AND *add supplements* – plus add animal products back in
    4) Get better, credit the animal products.
    5) Begin advocating that “veganism doesn’t work for everyone”

So I’m just trying to understand. I feel like I’ve seen this over and over (Lierre Keith, Daniel Vitalis, so many others) and nobody seems to make the important point that veganism was NOT the only thing that changed!

Any thoughts on this?

46. single most helpful health article I’ve read – thanks for posting the folow ups!

47. Sue says:

Sayward, I presume Kevin would have been doing everything within his vegan diet not to become deficient. He would have been aware of vegan sources of supplements he required and taken them.

48. Daniel says:

Great Question Sharon,

I respect Kevin, however, the urge necessitating the consumption of animal milk is based on irrational fear; a vibe currently flowing through the so called raw-food movement: “i have a problem – I must be lacking something from animals”…-;”they were right all along” or “it’s the cacao’s fault”, the fact remains: beliefs are merely assumptions; we have tendency to project problems unto culturally embedded, assumed causes; many people have vested emotional interest in promoting the necessity of animal product consumption (referring to milk and meat; not honey and insects), by circulating and promoting the belief; thereby justifying the pattern of consumption: “I have to have it – it’s unnatural not to”

People lacking energy or developing “deficiencies” on a live food diet (sun-intake and b12 levels remaining stable) – possess bio-terrain and/or emotional issues; limiting the possibility of deep transformational regeneration. If the process was easy – more people would walk the path leading towards total rebirth – less than one in a million make the cut: the elite; the regenerated.

When problems arise; it is far too easy to satisfy the mind with excuses; and conforming to the beliefs of society. The path is easy, yet the journey is long; many give up; or accept the mediocrity of good health, or fall totally off the wagon and return to the grips of society at large.

Many a vegan turned into a raw vegan, have probably resumed meat eating because of experiencing the low’s of the path, ironically, if the person had remained simply vegan – the problem is unlikely to have arisen; raw veganism is more “dangerous”: demanding attention, refinement, determination and perseverance, yet the quality of the life style is potentially more rewarding in comparison with (most) other modalities of personal transformation: “to those much is given, much is expected”. (remember, most people are totally disconnected from nature)

Blood tests are generally worthless; providing merely your relation to the average consumption pattern of an aggregated measured segment. Nevertheless, a diet with proper raw plant nutrition consists of 2-10 (on average 3-6) times the recommended levels of all known nutrients!
    (the earth being Zinc and Selenium deficient in general (brazil-nuts being the exceptions; the fertile earth of the rainforest), the intake of the aforementioned nutrients is generally 1 to 2 times the daily value (on average, unless consuming brazil-nuts in significant quantity)).
    (2-8 kg of primarily high water fruit, 0.7-2 kg of greens, and 50-200 g of nuts and seeds)

Energy and weight? I consume 2000-5000 cal. every day. My body is defined; I gain muscle easily; if I work out seriously.

I consume about 10-25% of my calories from fat (depending on the season). What is the problem with weight gain?

The difficulty of being a successful raw vegan in comparison with a healthy cooked vegan relates to personal finances and implementation and discernment of a multitude of information: the cost difference is about five fold and many a diet-guru promote physiological incompatible pathways; such as long-term high fat diets (Notice how most vegans returning to the consumption of animal products usually consumed high fat plant diets). Fruits and greens in SUFFICIENT quantities is where it is at physiologically; however, procuring and eating enough fruits and vegetables is rather expensive.

Simply following the dietary (vegan) programs of Dr Macdougal, Dr Furman, Dr Esselstyn, Colin T. Campell (Strength to Strength, impressive by his disregard of the internet trolls attempting to diminish his awe inspiring work), is dirt cheap and proven highly effective.
    If the raw vegan diet fails – returning to a to cooked vegan program ought to be a serious consideration – instead of drinking the milk of other animals; ethical reasons notwithstanding; the illogical inclusion of BABY GOAT milk seems absurd. If anything – consuming ants represents a far more reasonable pursuit.

Love.

49. Sue says:

“Studies have shown vegans have lower levels of HDL and higher levels of homocysteine in the blood. Low HDL and elevated homocysteine levels are equally harmful for the heart.”

50. Daniel says:

Sue, the aforementioned paper is fundamentally flawed in its design and conclusion; a Chinese researcher is simply rehashing, old preconceived notions.
    Deficiencies are likely to occur in most population groups! Most Vegans, become vegan for ethical reasons; and consume a fast-food vegan diet; although the pattern might be changing.

Large scale studies of vegans are practically impossible to conduct.

Furthermore, the deficiencies mentioned in the “rapport” should never occur in balanced vegan dietary program.

51. Simone says:

How/where can we get these blood tests done? I’ve searched the Dallas Fort Worth Area for someone who does this comprehensively and not just look through a microscope and cannot find anyone??

52. B~ says:

Great info Sharon ! I have to agree with Sharon on this one, are their no other solutions? Not to be just warm and fuzzy towards animals but what about the animals health? I would never put my dog in such jeopardy. Surely their must be something. What about a consultation with Dr. Cousens instead? He does his own testing and seems to be the guy if you want to avoid harming animals.

Also, what about the damage that cooked food does to your body? I’m not 100% raw but I run into problems every time no matter what I try. Could be a candida issue or something I am unaware of.

Thank you so much, great blog Kevin and Annmarie!!! We love you guys!

53. Petra says:

Hi Kevin,

I am so glad I read this post today. I have the same triad of deficiencies and have come down with adrenal fatigue/ chronic fatigue, hormonal issues, thyroid issues, and gut issues are back. I have been wanting to find out why my 2 years of raw vegan isn’t working for me.

Yes, I have been under stress, but my blood tests showed:

D – 33
    B12 – 180
    Cholesterol – 96!!

The doctor looked at my cholesterol and said that I was going to live forever; my naturopath knew better.

Now I, like you have been, need to find a way to increase these values without completely letting go of my raw vegan ideals. I have just started taking some organic goat milk kefir too, some organic eggs, LOTS of coconut oil, fermented vegetables and cod liver oil. I am trying to integrate the teachings by Sally Fallon (she has LOTS to say about increasing cholesterol, vitamin D B12 etc and chronic fatigue in low fat vegans) with the teachings of Gabriel Cousens. I’m no longer vegan or vegetarian but not eating as much meat as Sally Fallon’s diet requires. I want the best of both worlds.

I chose veganism for health reasons in the first place rather than ethics or spirituality, so adding some (organic) animal products back in doesn’t pose a problem in that regard, but now way do I want to introduce a lot of toxins. I liked the idea of eating lower on the food chain :-/

54. Simone says:

I Just went to the site where you recommend getting blood tests done – but the choice is from STD’s to diabetes – Where do you go for a live blood cell analysis that will give you the main health indicators?? Also has anyone done a similar assessment of their health using the Zyto bio-feedback which apparantly is even more accurate than a blood test – anyone done both??

55. Faith says:

INTERESTING! Much Gratitude!

Is there anything on your blog about the blood type diet? I saw that a lot of people included it in their comments during the Great Health Debate…and others here on your blog bring it up a lot. Is there a possibility of addressing it soon for those of us curious about it and your opinion.

56. Ira Edwards says:

As I read these comments, I see much nutritonism, or worse, orthorexia nervosa. One can be so concerned with health and nutrition that it makes one sick.
    Those who spend half their lives trying to comply with many dietary ideas may be marginally more healthy that those who only take reasonable care. Those who take reasoble care are usually, not always, much more healthy that those who live on sweets and chips. Some pass 100 years without seeing a doctor, eating meat and potatos without a care about nutrition, except getting enough.
    I am 79 and in perfect health. For the last few years, I have eaten well and I take a variety of supplements, and keep my blood viscosity down. I Never ate really bad, though I went through a few months thinking a zero-fat diet was good. For many years I thought margarine was better than butter, and skim milk better than whole. Then about 20 years ago I realized that what nutrition I had learned in medical school 35 years previously was mostly wrong. I have spent about 30,000 hours since then studying from many sources trying to deterimin what is true. Truth is elusive. It became an obsession, not much for my own benefit, but for the challenge, and also driven by the fact that I see so many people suffering and dying while net getting good medical advice.
    I wrote an orthomolecular nutrition textbook HONEST NUTRITION published in 2006. (If you don’t question the title, you are too gullible.) I have since written a simpler version more practical for most people to prevent chronic disease. I call it PRE-PAIN. I had it printed locally, so you won’t find it unless you can find me at 845 W. 12th St. in Medford, Oregon. I give away more bookS than I sell, and gain nothing financially for my effort.
    Better books than mine: Gary Taubes WHY WE GET FAT and Natasha Campbell-McBride GUT AND PSYCHOLOGY SYNDROME.
    Yes, I have read THE CHINA STUDY. It’s too bad that an accomplished scientist like Colin Campbell should make wild assumptions contrary to his earlier research.
    Incidentally, my cholestol is about 160, which is utterly irrelevant to anything.

57. Kym says:

Another great post, Kevin. Very straight up. And Dr. Williams is so cool. I’ve also reintroduced some animals products recently and am feeling a lot better but it’s pretty stressful eating them.

People say it’s difficult to transition from omnivore to veg and beyond but it’s no easier going back the other way.

58. Rebecca says:

This whole cholesterol thing has me baffled. Are cholesterol numbers being adjusted to get more people to go on statin drugs? Was the desired cholesterol number always > 200? Is cholesterol what is an indicator of heart disease or Is lifestyle/diet more indicative? Can anyone shed some light on this?the reason I ask is this: I eat a mainly vegetarian diet, lots of raw in summer, less in winter, coconut oil, occasional wild fish, and a little bits of goat milk yogurt/kefir or raw cheese/ butter once in a while. I am not a believer in strict adherence to a particular diet, but I am interested in optimal health. My cholesterol total was 215, with my hdl at 85. I do excercise, although not obsessively, and am very active. In general I have lots of energy and feel much younger than my 50 years. The md wants me to bring down my number to 190. Is this necessary?

59. cranberryrose says:

Sharon of 5:48, Feb. 21,

We do dairy goats. The bucks have been sold as grazers, or we try to find homes as pack goats. Yes, they are not intact males. Either way, the male goats love the lifestyle of total freedom. I am care deeply for our goats. Without food, they come over to be loved the minute we come into the pen. They liked to be scratched around the horns, and if a human wants to do it, then they will come over to be rubbed there.

They consider us their humans rather than we having ownership over them. They consider it our honor to be honored to feed them. Goats are different. Rather like they are the queen and we,her subjects, at least that’s the way ours act. I’ve been around goat milk suppliers and breeders and only seen goats treated with respect.

60. Kathleen says:

I wish you would explain exactly WHAT in the goat kefir improved your health.

61. Sue says:

Rebecca I believe around 1976 normal cholesterol was 240mg/dL. They changed it in 1993 where above 240 was high, above 200 borderline high and below 200 desirable. When they changed it they definitely picked a hell of a lot more statin users.

62. Ira Edwards says:

To answer Rebecca about cholesterol. I you had never heard the word, you would have less worry and probably better health. For what little the numbers mean, I would rather have your reading than mine, at 160. If you want to find scientists who have examined the issue thoroughly, look for thincs.com, The International Network of Cholesterol Skeptics. Mary Enig is a top scientist, now in her 80’s, who never believed the cholesterol scare from the beginning, and she was well qualified for that. Research does ont support cholesterol mania. Forget cholesterol.
    There is some relevance, if you want go that far. HDL is a protective lipoprotein that carries some cholesterol, and your number at 85 is so good that you can expect very little danger of heart disease. It takes a very foolish or ignorant doctor to suggest you do anything to lower your cholesterol. That can only make things worse.
    If a person feeds too much on vegetable oils (corn, soy, etc.) and doesn’t get much of healthier fats, then cholesterol particles tend to be small ones that have a role in making plaque. The size of cholesterol particles is relevant. Total cholesterol is not relevent, except older women tend to live longer with high cholesterol.

63. amy says:

Thanks for the video! but, holy crap! my last blood work 9 months ago, my B12 was >1500 and my folate >20 and my D was 39:( (working on that now.) I drink and smoke and my eating habits back then were very poor (I’ve since changed my eating habits!) I can only think that my results were that good due to the pharmaceutical grade supplements that I take! Maybe you should try them! Thanks for all the great info!

64. oreganol says:

Thanks for sharing. I’m on a similar journey to you and also have a particular issue with Vitamin D. 4 months ago my levels were 12.8. After 3 months on 1000IU there were up to 18. This is still very low and I’m not happy at all that my doctot only gave me 1000IU. A month ago he upped my dose to 3000IU and I will be tested again in 2 months time. But I have decided to top up to 10000IU per day. I feel he’s being far to cautious.

65. Daniel says:

The results speak volumes; MASTERjohn is a horrible source of information; void of any demonstrable scientific prowess; excellent promotional skills; fine packaging; telling people what they want to hear; is easy.

The high cholesterol left brain dominated party think they have debunked C.T Campbell – in the scientific and worldwide community, Campbell’s ideas are becoming far more widespread and gaining recognition.

Ingesting a host of supplements and consuming and performing various protective factors along with unhealthy intakes of animal products; if “resulting” in health – is in spite, and not because of the detrimental dietary habits. Some people living on entirely unhealthy diets sometimes live into old age – is their dietary pattern the cause?

Human possibility is infinite; becoming old is irrelevant, how you live whilst you live is the question.

The object of life is the attainment of sustainable happiness. The old program of caring only about oneself (and family) and experiencing short-term pleasure is dying; slowly, but surely.

Sustainable happiness (diet is only one of many parts!) is where it is at.

66. JT says:

Ira Edwards sounds like a smart, well informed person. I’ve never heard of Ira, but Kevin, you should interview Ira for sure. Ira’s comments make total sense based on my research. I had a mediterranean friend whose total cholesterol was 215 and the doctor was on him about getting on statins to bring it down. That is hog wash! He eats a mediterranean diet and extremely active.

Thanks so much for your candor! I had my blood tested by Spectracell last fall after you did some blogs on it. I totally expected my Vit D and B12 to be low, and they were not! I was shocked, because after you commented one time that virtually everyone has low B12 I assumed mine was and ordered the B12 patch. Guess this Florida living and doing farm work outside twice a day helps! It is good to have your numbers checked. Now I think my adrenals are out of whack a little. Is decaffeinated coffee bad too? I drink some of that from time to time. Can you let me know? —-JT

67. Peter says:

“It’s my nature-first philosophy that questions pills and things like that, but clearly the results don’t match my philosophy.”

You really know how to draw the conclusions that suit you best, don’t you?
    How about getting your Vitamin D and B12 from meat?
    Are animals more unnatural than pills to you?
    Stop pretending you’re not taking part in the circle of life.

68. Daniel says:

Peter do you know how much fish you have to eat to get sufficient amounts of D vitamin? (We are equator dwelling animals; take off your cloth and walk around; day and night! We are designed for sustainable sunlight exposure; that is why people with lighter skin better able to absorb the sunlight; successfully propagated the northern hemisphere)

Do you know that many cows are supplemented with b12? (because of Cobalt and bacterial deficient earth)

Do you know that that large amount of people who eat large amounts of meat are b12 deficient?

Do you know that bodybuilders and professional athletes very often use b12 injections?

Modern society is exceptionally disconnected from nature (extreme hygiene), and arable land is becoming increasingly deficient and barren; because of unsustainable farming methods.

Everything comes from the ground.

69. Rebecca says:

Thank you for those who posted about the cholesterol issue. I appreciate the info very much.

70. AB says:

Kevin,

I appreciate you sharing this information. I did a lot of research when trying to go 100% raw 3 years ago and I still encountered a number of health challenges. Some of them are ongoing. I am still an advocate of a high raw diet, but have begun incorporating Goat Milk Kefir, and non-vegan D3 supplements into my diet. I felt “guilty” about this at first. But, my body seems to be responding well. I also intend to have some blood work done and have my adrenals checked. Intuitively though, I have made changes where I felt led to and my body has responded favorably. So again, thanks for your openness. I realize, some may criticize/attack you for not being a raw “vegan”, but, I understand and respect the path you have chosen.

Best,

AB

71. I recommend you read about Johanna Budwig.

An easy way to get vitamin d is from milk based products.

Now what Johanna Budwig proposed, quite scientifically (she was the discoverer of the differences in fatty acids), is that cottage cheese and flax oil are a combination that can drastically improve the health of every human being on earth.

Here’s why. The omega 3s in the flax oil are made soluble by the sulfur proteins in the cottage cheese. The omegas can then transfer electrons with cells proficiently which increases electron flow throughout the body. This then compounds the positive effect of sunlight allowing your body to absorb the electrons, promoting both electrical flow in the body and vitamin d production.

They also are a lipid that can facilitate hormone production. In addition, you can eat a about 5 or 6 teaspoons of coconut oil a day and cook vegetable strirfrys etc with coconut milk and a little coconut oil.

The saturated fats in coconut oil and milk also are electron rich and have extremely powerful effects on energy, well being, and hormone production.

By adding cottage cheese/flax oil and coconut oil/milk to your diet, you take care of every problem associated with vegetarian diets.

You will get more than adequate amounts of vitamin d and b12. Make sure to eat the cottage cheese/flax oil mix in the morning and sometime in the afternoon or night to make sure your body always has optimal levels of omega 3.

The reason so many raw foodists are experiencing health problems is because they are feeling to see that health is about nutrient intake not how “pure” your diet is.

While raw foods may certainly have their benefits, so do cooked foods, and the most important factor is taking in massive amounts of nutrition so that your cells have an abundance of fatty acids, vitamins, minerals, and antioxidants for optimal cellular turnover, energy transfer, and both selective oxidation and anti-oxidation of free radicals.

It’s really damn simple. Eat the cottage cheese and flax oil, eat a wide variety of whatever raw foods and vegetables you like, and cook up a meal or two a day with some coconut oil and milk (ghee is also beneficial).

You can take it to the next level by throwing in some powerful supplements and herbs if you’d like. If your in a cold environment, it may be hard to get optimal levels of vitamin d so if you are in the cold then for one week take 30,000 ius of vitamin d a day. You will get up to about 70 in the blood. 90 is too high. You start approaching toxicity at that level.

As for whether supplements are “natural”, that’s a rather stupid conversation to even have. Food derived supplements are natural elements that the body can use.

Having an industrial economy that provides an abundance of food from all over the world is not “natural” either. Having tvs, computers, and technology are not “natural” either. Being able to provide life saving surgery is not natural.

But in a way they are. They are technologies that come from natural human ingenuity.

While certainly we have taken the wrong direction by trying to feed our bodies industrial foods that are chemically modified to meet the aims of preservation, it doesn’t mean that we can’t correctly use technology to optimize human health. Blood test aren’t natural either!

We just have to come to scientific consensus and widespread public attention of the fact that modified fats and chemical preservatives are not compatible with our biological systems.

Our science simply has to come into alignment with our actual biology. At some point we will learn to engineer biology and nutrition in such a way that is beneficial to health. The weight of the scientific evidence and the biotechnology will become so irrefutably heavy that institutions will not be able to ignore (even if they are currently consciously ignoring) the damaging effects of many of our current approaches to food, nutrition and medicine.

72. Thank you for sharing, means a lot to hear your journey through all this!
    You and Annmarie has inspired me to do a bloodtest and a hairmineraltest!! I will do it has soon as possible!! 😀
    I will take control over my own body, I am done with guessing… wihoooo! 😀

73. As for chocolate, Kevin, the reason you have had problems with chocolate is also simple.

The amount of theobromine is negligible in a small amount of chocolate. Its just that when you eat too much, you then begin to tax your adrenals. If you eat 10 bananas, you aren’t going to feel so hot either.

Chocolate is not meant to be ate like a meal or snacked on throughout the day.

It’s just something you can add in a small amount of as flavoring for smoothies, deserts, etc.

If you eat a very, very moderate amount of raw chocolate (or even cooked chocolate) daily you can gain the antioxidant and nutrient benefits of it over time and it’s effects on well being and energy.

I also think that if you are eating a truly nutrient rich diet your body is much less susceptible to negative effects from food “allergies” etc. Jean Calment (longest living documented person ever) ate a fairly high amount of chocolate every day (nearly a kilo per week). She most likely ate a very nutrient rich diet, and she added a copious amounts of olive oil to every meal (one of the good fatty acids). She also drank port wine which i’m sure had high levels of reservatol.

She was not at all a fanatic about her health, but she seems to have simply lucked into an extremely healthy diet. She probably ate a wide variety of nutrient rich foods, and most likely naturally avoided industrial foods. She probably knew from folk wisdom that cooking the olive oil was bad (it smells bad and tastes off), and so she was eating a large quantity of unoxidized fatty acid.

Olive oil has the following fatty acids in it:

* Oleic Acid (C18:1), a monounsaturated omega-9 fatty acid. It makes up 55 to 83% of olive oil.
    * Linoleic Acid (C18:2), a polyunsaturated omega-6 fatty acid that makes up about 3.5 to 21% of olive oil.
    * Palmitic Acid (C16:0), a saturated fatty acid that makes up 7.5 to 20% of olive oil.
    * Stearic Acid (C18:0), a saturated fatty acid that makes up 0.5 to 5% of olive oil.
    * Linolenic Acid (C18:3)(specifically alpha-Linolenic Acid), a polyunsaturated omega-3 fatty acid that makes up 0 to 1.5% of olive oil.

Flax seed oil and coconut oil are even better than olive oil for health. If you were to eat large quantities of flax seed oil, coconut oil, AND olive oil, you’d pretty much have a perfect storm of incredibly healthy fatty acids and so your bodys electrical flow would reach incredible levels.

This is probably why she was able to take up fencing at age 85.

74. Tammy says:

Kevin,

Do you think me getting my own blood work done by HealthCheck USA and using Dr. Williams How to Read Your Blood Tests DVD Set will give me a good understanding of where I’m at?

Thanks

75. Daniel says:

Mary G. Enig is a (founding) member of Westin a. price foundation (and she is 79 years old); a none scientific entity; catering to the gullibility of the average person; desiring to continue his/her previous unhealthy life style; simply adding “free range” and “organic” into the (deceptive) narrative.

Unfortunately, the marketing is highly effective, since many people feel alienated by the massive change sweeping across the planet – the desire to return to the “good old days”; Grandmother’s cooking appeals to intrinsic feelings of nostalgia.

However, the advice is highly dangerous.

A few subjective remarks:

With a few exceptions, proponents of high fat diets are fat! (over the age of forty); perhaps not compared to American standards; that being the reason most speakers are not laughed off stage – they are overweight and out of shape. On unprocessed low-fat diets – natural weight is achieved effortlessly. Bill Clinton returned to his ideal high-school weight within months of changing his diet into the recommendations of Dr.esselstyn.

76. I’d also like to comment on what i’ve seen you write in your promotion of sacha inchi oil.

While sacha inchi, i’m sure, is certainly quite a healthy addition to the diet, saying that lignans from flax seed oil might be an “anti-nutrient” is far from the truth.

I encourage you to read this paper from the Linus Pauling Institute at Oregon State

I’ll highlight the section of particular interest to your ideas that lignans may have negative effects on people who need more estrogen.

“Estrogens are signaling molecules (hormones) that exert their effects by binding to estrogen receptors within cells (see chemical structures). The estrogen-receptor complex interacts with DNA to change the expression of estrogen-responsive genes. Estrogen receptors are present in numerous tissues other than those associated with reproduction, including bone, liver, heart and brain (7). Although phytoestrogens can also bind to estrogen receptors, their estrogenic activity is much weaker than endogenous estrogens, and they may actually block or antagonize the effects of estrogen in some tissues (8). Scientists are interested in the tissue-selective activities of phytoestrogens because anti-estrogenic effects in reproductive tissue could help reduce the risk of hormone-associated cancers (breast, uterine, ovarian, and prostate), while estrogenic effects in bone could help maintain bone density. The enterolignans, enterodiol and enterolactone, are known to have weak estrogenic activity. At present, the extent to which enterolignans exert weak estrogenic and/or anti-estrogenic effects in humans is not well understood.”

What this is saying is that as far as the limits of current understanding of the effects of the phytoestrogens goes, it seems that they have an estrogen modulating effect.

What this means is that the precursors in the lignans are digested by gut bacteria and turned into estrogen like molecules that have positive effects on the bodies own endogenous estrogen by changing its biological activity.

It seems likely that these molecules have the capability to have positive estrogenic effects while also selectively inhibiting endogenous estrogen imbalances/negative effects.

Also keep in mind that various amounts of lignans are present in a wide variety of whole grains, beans, fruits, and vegetables. It’s clear that they must be a vital part of the optimal functioning of our biology.

77. QC says:

Thanks Kevin for showing your blood work.

I’ve had chronic adrenal fatigue way before I found out that I’ve had RA (rheumatoid arthritis). After 15 months on the 801010 diet & a few short fasts, my RA symptoms is almost all gone and my adrenal fatigue is no longer exist.

My cholesterol went from 145 to 122 within the past 15 months. (I was a cooked vegan for 2 years prior) When my RA was getting better and better, my adrenal was still not good. Until about 2 months ago, after a water fasting, I started feeling great, full of energy.

Because of my RA, my body does not agree with almost all protein & fat. Let alone animal products. I was aware that coconut oil & animal products like goat kefir can raise cholesterol, but I couldn’t take any of them. So I relied on fasting.

I do short (1-3 days) water fasting at home about once a month to two months. Then one day it was like miracle, I woke up without feeling tired at all, and it lasted until today, even my cholesterol is still low. I’m not sure if my adrenal level increase, because I didn’t check, but I can definitely tell that the fatigue has completely gone!

What do you think about this?

78. Melina says:

Hi Kevin,
    I am curious how your pregnenelone levels are now. Are you still taking pregnenelone? Thanks!

79. Sarah says:

Your honesty is wonderful! So refreshing – thank you!

B12 : would it be fair to ask whether a non-meat eater requires less B12 because there is no methionine (found in animal products) to process? What really constitutes ‘normal’? Normal for a meat-eater or for a non-meat eater? But I still agree that everyone should supplement with B12, whether a meat-eater or not, due to the poor quality of food production and soil quality.

Vitamin D: The same type of question goes for Vitamin D. If we cannot get our levels up naturally, using regular exposure to the sun, why should we need synthetic Vit D? What research do you have on stored Vit D? Do humans store their Vit D from Summer to Winter?

Cholesterol: from what I’ve read, it would seem that there are several risk factors involved with cholesterol. Whether or not your cholesterol is low, medium or ‘high’ (depending upon whose definition one is using!), the question is this: is your diet and lifestyle putting you at risk of oxidised cholesterol? It would seem that one should take cognisance of your cholesterol score but only in conjunction with diet, exercise and other blood results such as HSCRP (highly sensitive c-reactive protein). Perhaps Dr Williams could take a look at this for us?

Animal products: I am personally going through a transition phase with animal products. I no longer eat meat but still consume very occasionally organic dairy and oily fish. And I am struggling with those as well insofaras my conscience tells me that I should not eat any animal products because of what the animal has to go through to get on to my plate/in my cup. I used to hunt both game and birds, albeit very infrequently, and now have hung my shotgun and rifle up for good. From everything that I have read, there is no need to have animal protein in one’s diet – there are alternatives for everything. I read all of the arguments in the Great Health Debate and still hold the same opinion. Excessive animal protein has, without a doubt, been linked to so many lifestyle diseases. There is no doubt that animal products (including dairy) affect one’s hormones, whether organic or not. I have personally proved that to myself with PMS symptoms completely disappearing through a 95% drop in consumption of dairy. I need no more proof that animal products are harmful in excess.

My own philosophy about animal products is that if you can get past your conscience that you are killing animals, then only consume organic animal products in small quantities. And for those avid meat-eaters who think that everyone must consume meat, I think it’s time to realise that we actually don’t need it. Let’s get rid of the debate by agreeing on the basis for a great diet – unprocessed, loads of raw veggies, raw fruit, nuts and seeds. If you want a few grains, go for it. If vegan, eat your legumes and pulses and sprouted seeds. For the rest, go easy on the caffeine, cacao, meat and dairy. Don’t get obsessive and enjoy life! Gosh, sorry that was long-winded!
    Sarah

80. Kathy says:

If I’m redundant with earlier comments, my apologies, I haven’t read them all.

In reply to Kevin’s assertion that goat milk kefir is responsible for (or even plays a positive role in) his improved blood tests:

Unless you keep all other variables the same in your diet except the addition or subtraction of a single food at a time – testing blood before the addition (or subtraction) of that single food and again after – you haven’t demonstrated its value. You made several dietary changes, of which adding kefir was one. For all you know, goat kefir was one useless/counterproductive addition among many. Your doctor thinks it’s valuable so you believe him and confuse this with fact. Why not test kefir alone and see if it really benefits you or not?

81. Again, I would like to stress that it is absolutely not a low fat diet that is ideal by any means.

All that needs to be done is to avoid processed, and oxidized fats, as well as eating too many of certain polyunsaturated fats of the kind you find in “vegetable oil”, safflower oil, etc.

You can and should eat an abundance of flax seed oil, coconut oil, and olive oil.

The only oil that should be cooked with is coconut oil because of it’s high tolerance for heat.

You will not ever hear one story in your life of someone getting fat from the consumption of flax seed oil, coconut oil, or olive oil. It’s impossible. They actually have metabolism increasing effects that will burn fat.

Start eating a lot of coconut oil in particular, and you may notice a six pack becoming apparent without even doing anything in the way of exercise (if your already somewhat slim).

Seriously, it’s funny how everyones been waxing on about all these various diets, raw foods, superfoods etc. etc. while missing the fact that the primary deficit and error in most diets is the lack of the proper kinds of soluble fats that can transfer electrons and pass through capillaries.

Seriously, the whole diet thing is so unbelievably simple once you truly come through the other side and gain the right insights, that it’s almost laughable.

You seriously need do little else besides eat a wide variety of whole vegetables, good grains (ezekial bread etc.), good fats (flax seed, coconut, olive) and fermented milk products (cottage cheese, yogurt, kefir). Perhaps some beans for protein if you are doing intense strength/muscle building exercise. BTW: the whole idea that you can only absorb so much protein at once absolutely scientifically false.

There’s nothing else needed. It doesn’t really matter if you eat a moderate amount of organic meat either. I wouldn’t risk it if your trying to reverse a chronic disease condition like cancer, but if your healthy some grass fed beef, moderate egg consumption, some good fish etc. will do little to affect you.

It’s quite easy to make the vegetarian diet work (not vegan though). If you choose, you can also add moderate amounts of meat. It’s up to you.

The massive amount of confusion about diet owes plenty to people like dr. mercola with his metabolic typing (a convoluted system that makes people throw their hands and go hmm unless I consult with dr. mercola I guess i’ll never figure out this diet thing. It’s completely a bogus idea. People with different body types just need more or less nutritious food to support the amount of energy they burn. Their biological makeup is not vastly different, their cells aren’t choosing sides like it’s a political debate, carbs vs. protein. The confusion continues even further with the various people proselytizing from the “just eat vegetables and all will be well camp (but you must shop at whole foods and get your hands on exotic superfoods from all over the world or it will never work) and the dr. atkins, western price etc. camp telling you to eat massive amounts of meat all day.

82. Kevin Gianni Kevin Gianni says:

@Lynn: I’m not taking goat’s kefir for B12. I’m working to raise the levels with supplementation first and then see if I can maintain with whole food sources.

@Jalil: It’s a concentrated food source for rebuilding. I have no idea for how long I’ll take it, maybe another week or maybe for the rest of my life. I almost hesitated to write about it, because, again, I could stop taking it tomorrow. After all my experimentation and reading, I’m not fully convinced that we should exclude all animal products from our diet. I know it’s not a popular vegan conclusion, but I’ve seen too much in the last few years that indicate what I was doing would not take me where I want to go. Goat’s kefir has been recommended by many health teachers, including Norman Walker, as well as used in Mediterranean and Middle Eastern cultures for thousands of years.

@Dawn: Coconut oil and Goat’s Kefir.

@Gail: Yes, a mixture of 100% raw and other exploits. 🙂

@Cindy: Yes, low cholesterol is likely contributing to the lower testosterone.

@Jess: Thanks for your comments here, I also am working on regaining my strength back to the levels it was 5 years ago. When I’m there, I’ll share my “BOD” as well. I’m in great shape, I just lost a lot of muscle due to my hormone levels and inabilty to exercise at the lowest points.

@Sayward: I, for about 1 year, attempted to bring things back to normal completely vegan. I supplemented with just about everything from B complex, DHA, B12, etc. At this time, was incorporating some cooked foods, but still not getting great results. I was VERY reluctant to try anything animal. Not only did it not make sense philisophically to me at the time, it also – candidly – is not the best for move for me since many readers here are vegan. But I had to see if it would work, and unfortunately for my vegan mind it did. For my health, it was fotunate. As for my thoughts on veganism and whether it works or not, I think the most important rule is to get your blood tested and see what comes up. You can make changes from there. 🙂

@Simone: If you’re having trouble, I’d recommend getting a practitioner to work with you 🙂

@Melina: The lab messed up and tested my pregesterone instead of pregnenolone! I’ll keep you posted on this. First time I tested is was a 6! Last time it was 76. I’m hoping to get it around 150 or so. I supplemented early, but the 76 is mainly due to lifestyle and dietary changes.

In terms of identifying variables, those who questioned are completely right – there’s no way to determine in a human control variables… the main reasons why are that it’s very difficult to completely isolate anything in the diet, since the diet always changes and the placebo effect is very real.

Thanks for all your comments!

83. Chris says:

I agree with Chris Califano Waaaay up above. .

You cannot compare our levels of anything – – medical tests of any kind – – with the numbers they use for SAD eaters. Those tests are made for people who eat predominantly cooked or dead foods and animal products, and/or are sick – – or seriously on their way to being seriously sick. We do not eat that way – – we do not have the same readings. Please read Viktoras Kulvinskas’ book Survival into the 21st Century. As a 27 year Vegan, I agree with Dr. Fred Bisci who says you cannot compare a 5 yr vegan with a 10 year vegan or a 10 year with a 15 year and so forth. It changes – – we have some ups and downs as we get cleaner. . . like peeling an onion. (stated very well in Viktor’s book) but it gets better and better. Certainly do what you need to. I’m okay if you need to add in cooked food. But I would stand for remaining vegan. It is truly the best diet in the world.
    We are not “ON” every day.. sometimes there are gray days. . and we get to rest a bit. But most every one of our days are “ON”. . . unlike the majority of SAD eaters I know.

84. Gordy says:

Thanks Kevin for sharing your level info. I always enjoy your blog and the responses received thru your community. My Ins. covers some preventative care like getting tested and taking your own accountability for greater health. I did a blood test last August and plan to get one done again this month to compare levels. I’ve increased my D3 and B12 supplements since then and am curious what new results will offer.
    I purchased the “READ YOUR BLOOD TESTS” program from Dr. Williams when you first announced it. Thanks for that.
    I’m almost 50, and would like to know exactly what tests you recommend for a 160lb. 6′ male thats trying to gain back more muscle and stamina to get ready for the gardening season.

Also thanks for all your efforts on the “Great Health Debate”, I heard almost everyone and know that it was a lot for you to put that together! It is greatly appreciated all that you do!

85. Sue says:

Daniel, Masterjohn is a reliable source and so is Mary G Enig regardless if you don’t agree with their dietary philosophy.

Bill Clinton doing well now but I think he is losing too much weight.

You may not like that research paper but regardless Kevin does have low HDL and high homocysteine as the paper discusses.

86. Daniel says:

87. Daniel says:

Hi sue :),

Ok, lets agree to disagree.

Regrading high homocysteine: This is the result of low absorbability of b12; unrelated to Cholesterol levels.

Kind regards.

88. Maria says:

Kevin you are awesome…I can’t wait to meet you:-)
    [just putting that into the ether….but now you’re back to supplementing D3 I’m muchly looking forward to your UK tour, teehee just kidding]
    Maria xxx
    PS when I was going through all I was during prior 15months – and not on blog – I opened only one of your emails once: the one about the Blood test program…and BOUGHT IT right there on ‘auto-pilot’ ready for when I was ready!!!! Too funny huh!
    You guys and this blog ROCKx

89. HeatherM says:

Thanks for this.
    It is with sadness that I note that veganism is becoming a cult.

Even chimpanzees require some insects and meat (they are opportunists) in order to be truly healthy and capable of producing live young.

In Australia I cannot get raw milk, so I use kefir on the pasteurised dead stuff – which does turn it back into a live food.

I have the water kefir culture too, but everything I have used that on becomes too darned fizzy – I lose at least half down the sink at opening.
    Would love to try the coconut water kefir but never see young coconuts in the stores.

Isn’t it odd how ‘appropriate’ D3 levels vary between authorities?! Mine are too low, but I am having trouble tracking down a decent source of K2, and I know that without reasonable dietary levels of the bone minerals and the fat soluble vitamins D3 deposits calcium into organs and soft tissue. The medicos refer to this as vitaminosis or vitamin toxicity when it only another symptom of over all deficiency.

90. Mike Conway says:

I also have very low testostrone and vitamin d
    what did you do to raise your testostrone levels?/

91. Sayward says:

Kevin, I just wanted to say how much I appreciate your reply. I’m an ethical vegan personally but I’m also a scientist, and as far as health goes I keep a very open mind. Again, thanks so much for the explanation. =)

92. DavidM says:

It is important to note that obtaining vitamin D from an ultra B light source (such as the sun) is the most beneficial way to get it because of the other nutrients produced in the process (beyond D3). These are highly beneficial and you do not get them from a supplement. It also requires sufficient skin exposure, sufficient cholesterol in the skin, and not using soap for 48 hours. You simply cannot get enough D from the sun at certain times of the year in certain geographies, regardless of how long you are in the sun (You can use an in home ultra b source all year around anywhere, however). You should never burn. If you supplement, which most will need to do, if you have poor digestion or do not take with fat (D3 is fat soluble), you will need more. There is also a 300% difference needed because of genetic variability (see Dr. Mercola for more on this) for people at the same weight, and weight is another major factor for how much needs to be supplemented. All of this goes back to Kevin’s excellent suggestion, you must get your blood levels tested.

However, it is also important to note that in order for D to work properly in the body, you must have sufficient cofactors: K2, magnesium, zinc, boron, and beta-carotene. Without these, regardless of your blood levels, D will not perform optimally. K2 in particular is very important and necessary for proper D receptor binding. Also, too much retinal A hinders/interferes with proper D function and often leads to A toxicity, which is very difficult to remove.

B12 cannot be obtained in sufficient levels from any plant source, period. Moreover, to obtain it from animal sources (i.e. diet), you need healthy digestion and the ability to produce intrinsic factor, which many people do not produce enough of after age 40, therefore supplementation is necessary for many people. Sublinqual B12, liposomal B12, B12 patch, and B12 shots are quite effective.

It always amazes me how people talk about all of the “evidence” that animal protein leads to disease without considering the source and the method of cooking. This is how many incorrect conclusions are made about other nutrients. Such as the recent medical journal article claiming vitamin E leads to poor health. They were using synthetic, non naturally occurring vitamin E. The conclusion is naive and completely incorrect. In the same way, if meat is from the right source, such as grass fed, organic, clean beef that is lightly cooked and prepared the right way (not easy to do and most people dont know how), then it is much less toxic and much more health beneficial. All meat that is heavily cooked (especially charred) will be toxic and a significant amount of the protein (and other nutrients) will be destroyed, rendering it much less health beneficial and more harmful. Source and preparation has EVERYTHING to do with it. Not that meat is right for everyone (it is certainly not), but most “evidence” I have seen never takes these things into consideration, which is naive and leads to incomplete, incorrect conclusions.

Three great things Kevin gets from goat milk kefir (I hope it is raw), is highly absorbable calcium, probiotics, and protein, protein that is usually much easier to digest than protein from cow dairy.

To your good health,
    Cheers!

93. Sue says:

Thanks Daniel.

94. lisa says:

Kevin… Please explain something to me… What do you think you get from cooking the root vegetables and grains that you didn’t get from raw? I’ve been wondering about this for a long time.

I’ve often had discussions/debates with people over this issue… whether or not the cooking process gives you more of certain things than the same item raw. My efforts to find an answer have been inconclusive… like so many other contradictions in the health world.

THANKS

95. Jonathan Browne, you are indirectly suggesting Dr Macdougal’s (and Dr Esselstyn) 30 years of well-documented achievement of excellence is based upon fabrication and charlatanism?
    (both medical doctors practice veganism (with supplementation of b12); achieve extraordinary clinical results) Veganism practiced with a emphasis on low fat – works for everyone; if one can stomach the notion of the low fat life style, which many cannot; and hence many fail as vegans; high-fat veganism is not suitable for everyone.”

I haven’t the slightest clue who those doctors are but I have no doubt they have achieved good results. It’s just enormously complicated to make a completely vegan diet work and I believe it still falls short of optimal.

An emphasis on low fat is just completely contrary to physiology. The only reason it can work at all is that all vegetables have a minor amount of fats within them. If you don’t have any fats your body will literally shut down as it won’t be able to transfer electrons. It would of course be impossible to not eat any fats whatsoever.

What is clearly optimal though, is to eat plenty of good fats such as flax seed oil, coconut oil, and olive oil. You can radically enhance absorption of these fats into the cells by combining them with cottage cheese, or yogurt (cottage cheese is better though).

These fats are not “fattening” in any way whatsoever. You will gain strength, energy, and lose weight from their consumption.

You will also quite easily meet your b12 requirements. It’s so simple. There is no need to make diet an incredibly complex affair. If you eat a purely vegan diet without any fermented milk products and a good amount of the right fats, you sure as hell better take blood tests. Eventually you won’t be able to avoid the low level of hormones in your body from your lipid levels dropping too low. You might be able to go quite a while and not get sick with low hormone levels, but you will become weak, lacking in energy, and lacking in lifeforce.

It’s going too far. Should we give cows voting rights too? Emancipate them from their captivity as milk producing slaves?

I don’t think cows have aspirations for freedom and autonomy.

96. Paula says:

To Jonathan re: I don’t see why anyone could have an ethical reason to be a vegan either. How could you possibly think milking cows is unethical.”

Do you support the eating of veal? If you answer no, then you should also be answering no to beef, milk and cheese whether it’s factory farmed or “humanely grass fed”. They are all connected. If you answer yes, then I am once again mind-boggled by the ice that runs through human’s veins.

If you don’t understand, perhaps the following, I pray, will help you to understand:

97. Seriously, your results are probably better than 99% of the population at large. Nearly everyone has low D and lots of people have problems absorbing B12. My grandmother, a meat eating, dairy drinking gal, had to get shots. But it sounds like supplements, basically a vitamin, should cure all of that. You are pretty darn near perfect now, so with the vitamins you should be supernatural. Hopefully you won’t outlive the water supply!

98. Manny says:

Can someone please convert the US cholesterol markings (110-190?) to the Australian standards. Here in Australia we’re generally between the 3 (low) to 8 (high) range.
    Thanks.

99. Vicky Ross says:

We have all been vegans since September 2010. It has been the best decision health wise, however my youngest daughter has black, puffy eyes and look tired and unhealthy as a result. What could be the cause of something like that?

100. Oreganol says:

@Manny:

Wow, I didn’t know they did cholesterol ratings differently in Australia! It just goes to show that we can learn something new every day. Later today I might research this and see if I can find a reliable conversion scale.

101. Mark Lewin says:

Hi Kevin, I appreciate the information you give us. I had a somewhat similar experience as you had attempting to maintain a 100% raw food diet. After much research I decided a raw vegan diet was the way to go. I felt it would help me run faster and possibly help me regain full use of my partially paralyzed arms. After just one day of eating like this, My mind cleared, I had a lot more energy so I created a website to educate people on how to have optimum health. I had read Dr Graham’s 80/10/10 diet so I knew that I might lose some muscle, however I would replace it with higher quality muscle. I really did not have the excess weight to lose. I started at 128-130 lbs and under 10 percent body fat and less than 3 months later was under 108 lbs. and 5% body fat. I was borderline anorexic. I was weaker and slower and my blood tests were all out of whack. I couldn’t eat enough calories initially to maintain my weight. After further research I realized most people need some animal protein and a little cooked food in order to thrive. For anyone who is interested, I go into detail on my blood test results in a series of articles “My Experience” on my website. Keep up the good work Kevin.

102. I appreciate this article and all of your work so much. Similarly, I am in my 30s and have undergone a journey to improve my relationship with my own well-being (emotional, physiological, and psychological health). Part of this journey has led me to adopt a whole foods, plant-based diet. Just this last week, I’ve noticed a thought pattern of really wanting to have blood tests. Reading this article has confirmed that I will get a comprehensive blood before the year’s end. After all, it has been almost three years since I’ve last visited a doctor.

Thanks again for all of your work. It honestly inspires and helps me tremendously in my own journey.